PDA

View Full Version : Homework Help: Do you ever see/avoid a film because of an actor?

Croft, Lara
26-09-09, 09:24
Okay, so, we have to do a little in film studies to see if people go to see a film because of a particular actor or actress and the same for if avoid going to see films for that reason.

So, do you guys do this?

I try to see films if Rachel McAdams or Angelina Jolie are in them.

And I try to avoid films with Jude Law and Will Ferrell.

xXhayleyroxXx
26-09-09, 09:31
yeah i do do this quite a bit :)

i like films with angelina jolie, kristen stewert, johnny depp, orlando bloom, viggo mortensen and so on

i cant really think who i avoid right now but i do admit i will not watch a film if the actor is in it.

xxxx hope that helped

Melonie Tomb Raider
26-09-09, 09:32
Yes, I avoid films with Brad Pitt in it generally, because I can't stand the guy. Not a fan of Angelina's movies either, to be honest. I could bear to watch the TR movies (even though they weren't very good, they were still entertaining and AJ did a good job), but that's it. Every other time I've seen her act it makes me cringe.

I also avoid Megan Fox movies, but hey, the types of movies she plays in are lame anyway, so no avoiding necessary. :vlol:

The movies I try to see are anything made by Tim Burton or with Johnny Depp in it. :tmb:

mind
26-09-09, 09:33
Yes, every German film drives me mad. (without offense)

rowanlim
26-09-09, 09:36
I avoid Tom Cruise.

I can't think of any movie that I avoid apart from those with Tom Cruise.

I felt cheated when I realized he was acting in Tropic Thunder at the end of the show.

scion05
26-09-09, 09:43
I avoid Angelina, she's a terrible terrible actress, and this is coming from a Madonna fan. :D

Mystery-King
26-09-09, 09:45
I avoid Tom Hanks. He isn't made for blockbuster movies like DaVinci Code and stuff and his voice is so annoying! He should stick with films like Forrest Gump.

Your_Envy*
26-09-09, 09:47
I love Johnny Depp, Will Smith and Angelina Jolie. I usually watch movies with those actors, but it's not necessary. :) I don't avoid any actor at all. :D

xXhayleyroxXx
26-09-09, 09:50
I love Johnny Depp, Will Smith and Angelina Jolie. I usually watch movies with those actors, but it's not necessary. :) I don't avoid any actor at all. :D

ahh i forgot to put will smith! well will for me also :)

da tomb raider!
26-09-09, 09:56
Nah, I just avoid films fullstop. :D

Noodleboy
26-09-09, 10:01
Yah I do. Can't give an example right now, but sometimes I do avoid a movie because of its cast.

Peanut
26-09-09, 10:08
I tend to avoid movies with Jim Carrey. The guy is not funny and he tries too hard. I have no idea why peopel think he is hilarious! He annoys me and whenever I am forced to watch one of his dumbass movies (Yes Man, Me, Myself & Irene and Ace Vanture: Pet detective! ) :rolleyes: I feel like I am going to slit my wrists!

Oh and I avoid movies with Ben Stiller in them! :) The sequel to Night at The Museum was horrible! :(

Those two actors annoy me, One of them tries too hard and thinks hes funny, and the other one is just plain horrible!

Nannonxyay
26-09-09, 10:15
I avoid any movie with Kristen Stewart in it. To me, the girl can't act. And yes, I've seen her in films other than Twilight, and I still say that she can't act.

I will watch any movie with Johnny Depp in.

Kamrusepas
26-09-09, 10:18
Only like all the time :D

I'm constantly on the look out for movies with my favorite actors in them (most recently I watched Doubt because of the brilliant Philip Seymour Hoffman).

Then there are of course some actors and actresses I avoid like the plague. Such include but are not limited to Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan, Gene Hackman, Steve Zahn, Eliza Dushku.. Only ones that come to mind off the top of my head.

Punaxe
26-09-09, 10:18
Well, there are multiple things to base a decision on: story, ratings, reviews, trailer, stills... And indeed cast. If a certain actor always plays in the same kind of movies that tells you something, or if he's just a good actor that tells you something as well. So it definitely plays a role, but I don't think I've ever (not) watched a movie solely because of an actor being in it.

TRULuverzz
26-09-09, 10:22
I would usually avoid any movies with Mel Gibson in it, he's totally unbearable and i wish he would just be dead! :p

i wanna go see loads of angelina jolie movies although i did watch quite a few like mr and mrs smith, tomb raider and hackers and i dunno the rest xD

tonyme
26-09-09, 10:24
I would usually avoid any movies with Mel Gibson in it, he's totally unbearable and i wish he would just be dead! :p

It's weird, didn't you just love his movies? Even had an avatar of him at some point? :confused:

snork
26-09-09, 11:02
Yes, I do both.

On the one hand, I avoid actors that are good, but it like got to much to their heads and they start acting like "LOOK AT ME! I am the GOD of acting, and I can do as bad as I want, I know you all will still be AHHH and OOHHHH!!" .
Johnny Depp comes to mind. Gerard Depardieu (I think he overcame that) and then some.

And there are several actors that to me are a clear sign that a movie is going to be rather "bad".
Mostly C-action-actors. But also AJ, lots of TV-"stars" like eg. that former male underwear model from CSI Miami who still can't do anything but 3 and 1/2 posings. And this bald guy with moustache from e.g. "Lost". I saw him and decided I don't need to follow that series. :D
Many more but I mostly forget their names.
Oops, of course : Adam Sandler - avoid like hell.

Then there are those I might like, but they tend to almost always do very poor movies - Christophe Lambert for example.

There are also actors that make me think the movie will be worth it, because at least it will have them in it, if nothing else.
Like - Tim Roth, Thora Birch, Philipe Noiret, Sophie Marceau (grown up), William Hurt, Takeshi Kitano, Takeshi Kaneshiro (looks like "Takeshi" means "good one" in japanese, lol), Michael Caine (I watched "Miss Undercover" only because he is in it, and it was worth it).

At age 43, I am almost proud that I am still able to change my mind. :D

I did not think much of Mel Gibson, though I did not really hate or avoid him. Then I saw "Million Dollar Hotel" and he is great in that one. Though of course he got outacted by Jeremy Davies, but everyone was in that movie.

Or Sandra Bullock - I did not think much of her or like her (yes she's cute - so what? ) until I saw her on "Muppets Tonight" where she made an complete *** of herself. :tmb: Now I like her.

Or Natalie Portman, few days ago I started watching this movie becasue she had the main role in it, boy that was unbearable crap. She is pregnant and lives in a mall and uärks, apalling american homecountry applepie propaganda MÜLL. bah.

Marianna12
26-09-09, 11:08
I usually watch movies with Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz.:p
And I don't avoid any actor!:)

Jedd Fletcher
26-09-09, 11:09
Definitely. The lead actor is a key factor in many of the films I see. I can be convinced to see almost any film with Harrison Ford, Sean Connery, Morgan Freeman, Anthony Hopkins, Angelina Jolie or Natalie Portman in it. I avoid films with actors such as Paris Hilton, Steven Seagal, Wesley Snipes, Rob Schneider or Will Ferrell in them. Of course, the lead actors in a film are not the only factor, I need to know what the film's about before I can decide whether or not I want to see a movie.

Olabelle
26-09-09, 11:33
I avoid movies that have Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, and a few others in them like the plague. They're not attractive, they're horrible actors, I could spend my time doing better things.

But I lurve movies that have Gerard Butler, Anthony Hopkins, and Johnny Depp.

Dina_Croft
26-09-09, 11:49
Yes i do this...One time I saw The shining with Jack Nickolson just because 30stm's video clip of The Kill was inspired by the movie..:vlol:

I once tried to watch this movie called Black Or White starring Jared Leto&Robert Downey Jr(my two favourite actors)....I watched like the first 10 minutes...:vlol:It was horible!The movie and Jared's hair:vlol:

Yeah,If you give me like Jared's or Robert's movie i will watch it no matter what!

TRfan23
26-09-09, 11:51
Any film with Sigourney Weaver in will make me watch, such a good actress. Oh and John Barrowman :)

No one I want to avoid...

jackles
26-09-09, 11:58
Kevin Costner can put me off.....hotly followed by Mel Gibson.......

Other than that it is more the genre of films that can put me off. romantic weepies??? forget it.

TRULuverzz
26-09-09, 13:29
It's weird, didn't you just love his movies? Even had an avatar of him at some point? :confused:

ummmmm. yeh, but it was his record of wrong doings that put me off him now :p

Lee croft
26-09-09, 13:31
Rachel Mcadams was the reason i went to see time travellers wife!! so i guess thats a yes! shes my favrioute actress :)

TRULuverzz
26-09-09, 13:34
Gerard Butler was the reason i wanted to go and see P.S. I Love You! but i couldn't watch it at the release time and instead watched it later

remote91
26-09-09, 13:35
I try to see films with actors that I admire, and usually love watching films with actors that I dislike, because usually that means they're untalented and aren't good at thwta they're doing.

violentblossom
26-09-09, 13:35
YES. I avoid movies with Jason Statham, Vin Diesal, Ice Cube, DMX, 50 Cent, Jean Claude Van Damme, Jet Li, and most action film meatheads and/or rappers.

Oh, and Nicholas Cage.

TRULuverzz
26-09-09, 13:39
YES. I avoid movies with Jason Statham, Vin Diesal, Ice Cube, DMX, 50 Cent, Jean Claude Van Damme, Jet Li, and most action film meatheads and/or rappers.

Oh, and Nicholas Cage.

all their movies are stoopid! :ohn: you've got a good point Rae!

Ada the Mental
26-09-09, 14:19
I definitely have watched a film/tv show just because of an actor many times, in the sense that if I really like someone I try to watch everything they're in, so that I can have a whole picture.

I guess there are actors I dislike whose movies I tend to avoid (Angelina for example), but usually it's movies of certain genres that I go out of my way not to watch: comedies, romantic comedies, high school stuff and really crappy action movies. Not having to watch annoying actors is just an added benefit of this. :p

Lee croft
26-09-09, 14:21

Oh, and Nicholas Cage.
it would make me laugh to see a film with all of them in :p

larson n natla
26-09-09, 14:22
ANy film with a disney "star" in it e.g miley cyrus or the jonas brothers or HSM I CANT STADN OR BEAR TO WATCH ITS MANUFACTURED BUBBLE GUM NONSENSE However anyone who hasnt seen district 9 you simply must

Rai
26-09-09, 14:37
I won't watch a film just because there is a particular actor or actress in it, there has to be something else about the film that catches my interest.

I am more likely to avoid a film if it has an actor or actress in the lead role that I don't like. Will Ferrell is annoying, so I probably would avoid films with him in unless there was something else about the film that made me want to see it.

lara croft TR
26-09-09, 14:41
Yes.. of course... I think that casting is an important part of a movie...

I like Jhonny Depp, Will Smith, Arnold Schwartzeneger, Angelina Jolie, Nicolas Chage, Orlando Bloom and Chakie Chan (lame, I know)....
and I avoid: Jim Carrey, Van Dame, Pamela Anderson (and other sissy actress)

_Awestruck_
26-09-09, 15:27
I hate Cuba Gooding Jr.

I always avoid his movies.

I'll watch almost anything with Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell in it though.

tranniversary119
26-09-09, 15:45
Will Ferrel, Ugh I hate this guy.

Dennis's Mom
26-09-09, 15:52
I don't avoid any actors or actresses. Even actors who usually make "bad" movies have made good ones (Yes, even Jim Carrey and Will Farrell). I tend to be interested in a movie based on the movie. An actor's appearance in the movie may peak my interest, but rarely turn me off it.

Nenya awakens
26-09-09, 15:54
Anything that Madonna, Mariah or Britney has "acted" in i'll avoid.

Anything with Helena Bonham Carter i'd be interested in watching.

Admles
26-09-09, 15:55
Beyonce being in a film automatically makes it a NO-NO, as does Kate Winslet.

violentblossom
it would make me laugh to see a film with all of them in :p

OMFG, yes! :vlol:!!!

Lara's Nemesis
I avoid Steven Seagal and Van Damme.

TRULuverzz
26-09-09, 15:56
OMFG, yes! :vlol:!!!

this! not to mention we should include Sylvester Stallone :mis:

violentblossom
26-09-09, 15:57
this! not to mention we should include Sylvester Stallone :mis:

Nah, he was in Oscar. I'll let him slide.

irjudd
26-09-09, 16:16
Absolutely yes.

I've watched a few films solely because of Milla Jovovich that I wouldn't have been interested in otherwise.

I've avoided a few films solely because of Shia Lebeouf that I would have checked out otherwise.

Admles
26-09-09, 16:17
Oh, and I always watch Arnie movies!

violentblossom
26-09-09, 16:17
Oooh, oooh! Hillary Duff films. :D I avoid those like the Swine Flu.

TRULuverzz
26-09-09, 16:24
Nah, he was in Oscar. I'll let him slide.

oh well then he'll be replaced with Eminem:p

PandaINC
26-09-09, 16:30
I usually avoid films with Jennifer Anniston, Jack Black, and Tom Cruise. There are a few others but those are the people that I could think of from the top of my head. God I really cant stand them.

GenyaArikado
26-09-09, 16:32
Yes, I avoid films with Jack Nicholson, Paris Hilton, and with Twinlight actors

Nerd For Life
26-09-09, 16:32
Yes, I try to avoid anything with Colin Farrell, Tom Cruise and Vin Diesel. And Steven ****ing Seagal.

pneboy
26-09-09, 16:36
2 actors that **** me off amazingly alot owen wilson and ben stiller

TRULuverzz
26-09-09, 16:43
Yes, I try to avoid anything with Colin Farrell, Tom Cruise and Vin Diesel. And Steven ****ing Seagal.

collin farrels kinda hot but still i never watched a movie with him in it :D

Nerd For Life
26-09-09, 16:53
He's an awful actor, imo.

Legend 4ever
26-09-09, 18:56
I never watch Will Smith movies. Hate him.

Chocola teapot
26-09-09, 18:58
I have A huge Hate for Jack Black! :mad:
I find t hard to watch a film with him in it!!

NemesisX13X
26-09-09, 19:00
I stay away from movies wich include paris hilton in them. :)

Rai
26-09-09, 19:22
^ you and just about everyone else. :p

NemesisX13X
26-09-09, 19:23
^ you and just about everyone else. :p

Well... thats pretty good :vlol:

Chocola teapot
26-09-09, 19:26
Repo was good, paris was in that.

Kelly Craftman
26-09-09, 19:31
erm i guess Morgan Freeman

igonge
26-09-09, 19:43
I do this whenever new films come out. I will not go and see any film that has Zac Efron in it or any other of those High School Musi-brats for that matter but I like to see films that star the likes of Tina Fey, Anna Faris, Sigourney Weaver... the list goes on.

Dina_Croft
26-09-09, 21:50

Oh why Collin?I ******* love that :cen::cen:...

tombraiderluka
26-09-09, 21:53
I try to avoid movies like Spring Break or American Pie.. I don't know about actors though.

I saw all Lindsay Lohan and Johnny Depp movies and also all movies made by Tim Burton, yes :jmp:

Nerd For Life
26-09-09, 21:54
Oh why Collin?I ******* love that :cen::cen:...

He's a crappy actor and he gets on my nerves. :)

Dina_Croft
26-09-09, 21:56

:(...I love him:ton:

marla_biggs
26-09-09, 22:01
Eddie Murphy is a bit of a turn off

NemesisX13X
26-09-09, 22:09
Eddie Murphy is a bit of a turn off

And Denzel Washington (sp?) :pi:

Lizard of Oz
26-09-09, 22:16
Yes, I avoid films with Brad Pitt in it generally, because I can't stand the guy. Not a fan of Angelina's movies either, to be honest. I could bear to watch the TR movies (even though they weren't very good, they were still entertaining and AJ did a good job), but that's it. Every other time I've seen her act it makes me cringe.

I avoid Tom Cruise.

I avoid movies that have Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, and a few others in them like the plague. They're not attractive, they're horrible actors, I could spend my time doing better things.

I never watch Will Smith movies. Hate him.

:eek:
What is wrong with you people!!!!

JRod2208
26-09-09, 22:20
I avoid anything with Tom Hanks in it. Can't stand him.

January_Snow*
26-09-09, 22:39
You cant acctually judge of a movie by an actor, then again I most certanly wouldnt run to the cinema to see a movie starring Paris Hilton :vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

NemesisxAngelus
26-09-09, 22:49
I don't really avoid them, but I have less fun while watching them. Because it's late I only can think of Robin Williams.

Wana b like Lara
26-09-09, 22:50
No .. I don't really hate anyone! :D

Tombraiderx08
26-09-09, 22:51
I avoid Tom Cruise.

I felt cheated when I realized he was acting in Tropic Thunder at the end of the show. Yes i avoid cruse too, he's so lame XD

Wana b like Lara
26-09-09, 22:58
Heh. I don't like Tom Cruise that much to be honest, i couldn't think of him before! :P But i've seen MI once or twice lol :p

knightgames
26-09-09, 23:11
Anything with Madonna in it.

Name an SNL alumni movie (except Caddy Shack) and I promise I won't stay long enough for the popcorn to be popped.

The guy who played Paul Blartt Mall Cop. He's out.

Chris Tucker - talentless gob. (actually I liked him in Friday #1. But every character he's done since then has been a variation of that theme.)

LaraLuvrrr
27-09-09, 00:07
I stay away from films with

Jack Black, Will Ferrell, Tom Cruise... thats all i could come up with for now

Encore
27-09-09, 00:11
I watch movies that feature Daniel Day Lewis, Chris Bale, Tim Roth, or any other of my favourite actors. Also, when I really like an actor I purposedly search as many movies with him/her as possible, that means watching a lot of stuff just for that reason alone.

But I don't avoid movies because of actors. If a movie has an interesting plot or a good director, but an actor or actress I dislike, I will probably watch it anyway.

Ikas90
27-09-09, 03:15
Eh, I love horror movies, but I don't really want to watch Shutter Island, because Leonardo DiCaprio is in it.

Jedd Fletcher
27-09-09, 08:20
Will Ferrel, Ugh I hate this guy.

He's the consummate idiot!

sheepydee
27-09-09, 08:22
I like to see movies with Jodie Foster in it, Angelina Jolie and a few others but i always avoid movies with people in it like Will Smith or you know... the popular of the popular.. they annoy me greatly..

Phoebe_Croft
27-09-09, 08:53
LOL, do you know what that means? :vlol:

Anyway I always like to see a movie with Adam Sandler, it's like you check the TV Guide and you see his name, and you know you're going to be in for a treat :D And of course, Lisa Kudrow is my favorite actress. I don't usually avoid movies because of an actor/actress, I just watch what looks good...

Nannonxyay
27-09-09, 09:37

I would have to disagree. I think he's a pretty decent actor. But meh. Each to their own.

Dina_Croft
27-09-09, 10:22
I would have to disagree. I think he's a pretty decent actor. But meh. Each to their own.

http://i25.************/2j2uyh4.jpg

Legends
27-09-09, 11:03
I watch movies because actors that I like are in them, but usually not the other way.