PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Yellow Light Of Death, Sony Refuse To Pay For Fix

Shark_Blade
26-09-09, 14:44
Source (http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Industry/D8T5U3V7)

When Microsoft had a problem with their Xbox 360 they spent hundreds of millions fixing a "red ring of death problem", now Sony who has a PS 3 "yellow light of death” problem" is asking owners to pay hundreds of dollars to fix the problem if the Playstation console is over 12 months old.

This is despite the fact, that when purchased the PS3 was the most expensive gaming console in the world, simply because it was made by Sony who sees themselves as a superior brand.

Described as a super powered entertainment machine, Sony Computer Entertainment in Australia has already had problems with the Blu ray player in the PS3, now the Japanese Company who are currently strapped for cash is asking owners to pay to fix the new problem which fails to boot after displaying a yellow light.

This is not the first time that Sony has price gouged consumers for repairs to a Sony PS3.

Writing in response to a News Ltd story on the new slim PS3, Trish of Melbourne said that when she recently reported a Blu ray problem to SCE Australia she was told that it would cost $315 to fix her PS3 console that was less than 2 years old.

She wrote "When the Xbox 360 developed a common fault outside the warranty period, Microsoft fixed it for free. Having to spend $315 to fix a PS3 console after not even 2 years is equivalent to spending about $10,000 on repairs on an average car - totally ridiculous".

Now hundreds of PS3 owners are claiming that their gaming consoles have broken down without warning, with all of the problem devices displaying the same fault indicator - a yellow flashing light. When that light shows, the box no longer works. It's become so feared by gamers that they've dubbed it "The Yellow Light of Death".

The BBC in the UK reports that more than 150 Watchdog viewers contacted them to say they've had problems with their PS3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your thoughts? I just hope my consoles last like my PS1, which is still alive and kicking.

Legend of Lara
26-09-09, 14:47
That's awfully high and mighty of them. :p

Urgh, I just hope I won't get it. >_<

Catracoth
26-09-09, 14:48
Looks like the PS3 isn't so perfect after all.

Super Badnik
26-09-09, 14:48
I feel sorry for people who are having these problems. Sony should know better, it's this kind of attitude that's probably lead to the PS3 being a lot less popular than the PS2 & PS1 were. They need a wake up call if you ask me, i would have thought the PS3 being less popular than other next gen consoles would do just that but obviously not.

Catracoth
26-09-09, 14:50
Anyone know what the cause of the YLOD is? Is it just a general hardware failure like the 360's RROD?

Mad Tony
26-09-09, 14:59
I feel sorry for people who are having these problems. Sony should know better, it's this kind of attitude that's probably lead to the PS3 being a lot less popular than the PS2 & PS1 were. They need a wake up call if you ask me, i would have thought the PS3 being less popular than other next gen consoles would do just that but obviously not.I agree. Sony walked into this generation expecting to come out on top like they did with the PS2. They got too complacent.

If I were a PS3 owner I wouldn't worry about this. Once they start losing customers they'll provide free repairs.

Jo269976
26-09-09, 15:22
Red lights of death...

Yellow lights of doom...

My Wii better not start flashing green before the release of Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles.

Zelda master
26-09-09, 15:22
And no one believed me when i said the YLOD excists:p

cool_omar
26-09-09, 15:40
Anyone know what the cause of the YLOD is? Is it just a general hardware failure like the 360's RROD?

i think it comes when u keep the ps3 on 24/7 its preferred that the ps3 doesnt stay on for more than 32 hours and u shouldnt play it while the thing is upward on its spine and dont leave the disk inside AND keep the dust off of it if some of it goes in the disc slot then its gonna get fried and always keep it in a ventilated place

w8 that wasnt ur question ye the hardware doesnt fail u fail at keepin it safe xD

Aphrodite22
26-09-09, 15:45
wait the YLOD happened to the ps3 slim or big ps3?

miss.haggard
26-09-09, 15:58
I had a feeling that no matter how large and mighty MS may think they are, they did handle the RROD the right way. Awhile ago when I started hearing things about YLOD I figured Sony would try and pull something like this, theyll learn the error of their ways.

cool_omar
26-09-09, 16:02
wait the YLOD happened to the ps3 slim or big ps3?

i think the big one and mostly the 80 gig which has backwards compability and the early 60 and 20 gigs have em we will w8 till 2010 to see the YLOD on the slim

irjudd
26-09-09, 16:12
i think it comes when u keep the ps3 on 24/7 its preferred that the ps3 doesnt stay on for more than 32 hours and u shouldnt play it while the thing is upward on its spine and dont leave the disk inside AND keep the dust off of it if some of it goes in the disc slot then its gonna get fried and always keep it in a ventilated place

So in other words; don't use your console? :vlol:

Reggie
26-09-09, 16:15
^Not leaving the PS3 on all the time doesn't = not playing it. I look after my playstation in the same way Omar was suggesting. Always have done, doesn't mean I don't use it.

irjudd
26-09-09, 16:18
So you say.

Reggie
26-09-09, 16:20
?

Phlip
26-09-09, 16:23
Is it really nesecary to take the disk out when it's off? You can't switch the Slim off, anyway.

william croft
26-09-09, 16:28
Ah, this happened to me some months ago after downloading Firmware 3.0 update. After calling Sony they said that it would cost 215 as it was outside the 12 month Warranty, I wasn't going to pay the amout I payed for a new PS3, so I DIY'd it and fixed it by myself. Its been working fine now.

da tomb raider!
26-09-09, 16:30
As I said the last time that I read a report here regarding this "Yellow Light Of Death", it still doesn't seem very widespread, so I don't see why Sony should take action. Considering the PS3's sold about 20 millions units so far, "hundreds of PS3 owners are claiming that their gaming consoles have broken down without warning" doesn't sound like such a big problem. Electronics go wrong, and a couple of thousand consoles out of 20 million going wrong should be expected. Of course, if and when the problem becomes more widespread, then absolutely, Sony should take action. But right now, as far as I can tell, it's not, so they shouldn't.

cool_omar
26-09-09, 16:31
Is it really nesecary to take the disk out when it's off? You can't switch the Slim off, anyway.

yes it is for 2 reasons 1 to not harm the disk reader and if u get the YLOD u cant get the game out of it xD

Zebra
26-09-09, 16:32
The PS3 wasn't so expensive because Sony think they're better than others :rolleyes:. It was expensive because the technology inside IS expensive.

Phlip
26-09-09, 16:39
yes it is for 2 reasons 1 to not harm the disk reader and if u get the YLOD u cant get the game out of it xD

That's ridiculous. I've kept a disk in for ages and it's fine.

cool_omar
26-09-09, 16:48
That's ridiculous. I've kept a disk in for ages and it's fine.

u asked a question i answerd after that i dont giva flyin piece of pizza of what u think

silver_wolf
26-09-09, 16:49
*sigh*

Cristina
26-09-09, 17:12
Im planing to buy one ps3 console,hope i will make a good desision,i dont want my new console to have the yelow light of death :/

cool_omar
26-09-09, 17:15
Im planing to buy one ps3,hope i will make a good desision,i dont want my new console to have the yelow light of death :/

it usually come after a year or so, so ur safe for a year or more then 1 year actually not a month like the 360 xD

Draco
26-09-09, 17:22
I don't buy consoles, none of them are worth it.

da tomb raider!
26-09-09, 17:23
I don't buy consoles, none of them are worth it.

Dreamcast is. :D

TR FAN 18
26-09-09, 17:24
196.70 (conversion of $315 to ) to fix a console?! :hea:
The PSP Go was enough of a rip off at 250 but to charge nearly 200 to repair a console is outrageous! I hope the 250GB models don't have this problem.

Zebra
26-09-09, 17:34
it usually come after a year or so, so ur safe for a year or more then 1 year actually not a month like the 360 xD

Nonsense. It usually doesn't come at all.

irjudd
26-09-09, 17:38
Draco is right with his floccinaucinihilipilification of consoles. I agree.

Mad Tony
26-09-09, 17:39
Dreamcast is. :DThe Dreamcast is ridiculously overrated. :tea:

AmericanAssassin
26-09-09, 17:56
Keep in mind that the failure rate of the PS3 is drastically lower than the 360. To me, it would make sense that when a very little amount of consoles are breaking, you wouldn't feel the need to create a repair all of them. So many 360s have broken that, if they weren't fixed, people would move on to a different console.

Reggie
26-09-09, 17:59
The Dreamcast is ridiculously overrated. :tea:
In its day, grossly underrated and ahead of its time. Can hardly call it overrated when its not even supported by Sega anymore and hasn't for a long time.

Megalith
26-09-09, 19:17
Can hardly call it overrated when its not even supported by Sega anymore and hasn't for a long time.

There are still games coming out for dreamcast:D (http://www.redspotgames.com/rush-rush-rally-racing-official-annoucement/)

TRfan23
26-09-09, 19:26
Oh joy, another one bites the dust :(

Ah, this happened to me some months ago after downloading Firmware 3.0 update. After calling Sony they said that it would cost 215 as it was outside the 12 month Warranty, I wasn't going to pay the amout I payed for a new PS3, so I DIY'd it and fixed it by myself. Its been working fine now.

What are the instructions? Incase it ever occurs to me...

There are still games coming out for dreamcast:D (http://www.redspotgames.com/rush-rush-rally-racing-official-annoucement/)

My whole life I've lived on this planet, I've never seen a dreamcast game anywhere in stores at all! I have a feeling only 10 people would buy that game ;)

Melonie Tomb Raider
26-09-09, 19:28
Doesn't surprise me.

My PS3 quit reading discs after I downloaded one of their first trophy patches, and it was their error and they admitted it, yet they still made me fork over $200 to fix it.

Surprisingly, and I never thought in a million years I would say thing, but I think I've converted into more of an Xbox 360 girl tbh. Though I love both. :D

Megalith
26-09-09, 19:45
My whole life I've lived on this planet, I've never seen a dreamcast game anywhere in stores at all! I have a feeling only 10 people would buy that game ;)

You can only order it online directly from the publisher's site.It's basically an independent company.

TR FAN 18
26-09-09, 19:54
Dreamcast overrated??? Have you not played Shenmue I & II? :p

Mad Tony
26-09-09, 20:10
I'm not saying it wasn't a good console, but everyone goes on about it as if it were the best thing ever invented. If it was really that good, why did it not perform very well on the market? It seems to have more of a cult following that anything.

Tombreaper
26-09-09, 20:19
I'm not saying it wasn't a good console, but everyone goes on about it as if it were the best thing ever invented. If it was really that good, why did it not perform very well on the market? It seems to have more of a cult following that anything.

It was mainly because of the high price.

With it's new price and looks, the PS3 sells better than ever.
Since it's release, 3 weeks ago, 1 million units of the slim version have been sold already.

Mad Tony
26-09-09, 20:24
Look at how expensive the PS3 was. I know it's not been as big a success as the 360 and the Wii but Sony have still sold a lot of them.

Tombreaper
26-09-09, 20:30
XBOX360: 30.2 million sold since it's release in 2005

PS3: 24.6 million sold since it's release in 2006

So actually the PS3 isn't performing that bad.

cool_omar
26-09-09, 20:32

i 2nd that brother xD

Uzi master
26-09-09, 20:36
(I can barley understand a word hes saying:p)

Catracoth
26-09-09, 20:39
?

Ignore irjudd, he's full of nonsense.

Kittypower
26-09-09, 20:49

I dont think you should be defending Sony. No matter how rare ylod is, it is still a problem and sony should cover it when it occurs.

Mad Tony
26-09-09, 20:50
XBOX360: 30.2 million sold since it's release in 2005

So actually the PS3 isn't performing that bad.I never said it wasn't. :confused: I just said it isn't performing as well as the 360 and the Wii at the moment.

da tomb raider!
26-09-09, 21:23

To be fair, there's only a few people who still talk highly about it (such as myself, of course), so I'd hardly call it overrated. I'd say you're right about it having more of a cult following than anything else, which obviously doesn't point to overrated. As for its performance on the market, I don't think that comes down to its quality as a console. It probably had more to do with Sega's largely tarnished reputation after the huge failure of the Saturn, Mega CD and 32X, not to mention the overshadowing of the PS2. Microsoft's announcement of entering the industry couldn't have helped either, nor could have the lack of third-party support the Dreamcast got, again down to the failure of Sega's previous consoles. And the PS1 was still going strong during the Dreamcast's lifespan, too, which must've hurt sales as well.

There's an endless number of factors that resulted in the Dreamcast's demise, and I don't think any of them involve the console being a bad system. Indeed, it all comes down to opinion on whether the Dreamcast is good or bad, but what's undeniable is that the Dreamcast was way ahead of its time when it first came out, what with its advanced graphics, revolutionary processing power, large disc capicity and of course the online gaming and features (which was all free, if my memory serves me). Again, it all depends on one's opinion, but none of those things point to a bad system if you ask me. Oh, and clearly, it was far more reliable than today's consoles, too...

(my apologises if I've strayed off-topic, by the way. I probably won't be saying anything more on the subject)

xXhayleyroxXx
26-09-09, 21:28
the yellow light of death has never happened to me & the ps3 is worth every penny

i adore mine :)

Reggie
26-09-09, 21:30
To be fair, there's only a few people who still talk highly about it (such as myself, of course), so I'd hardly call it overrated. I'd say you're right about it having more of a cult following than anything else, which obviously doesn't point to overrated. As for its performance on the market, I don't think that comes down to its quality as a console. It probably had more to do with Sega's largely tarnished reputation after the huge failure of the Saturn, Mega CD and 32X, not to mention the overshadowing of the PS2. Microsoft's announcement of entering the industry couldn't have helped either, nor could have the lack of third-party support the Dreamcast got, again down to the failure of Sega's previous consoles. And the PS1 was still going strong during the Dreamcast's lifespan, too, which must've hurt sales as well.

There's an endless number of factors that resulted in the Dreamcast's demise, and I don't think any of them involve the console being a bad system. Indeed, it all comes down to opinion on whether the Dreamcast is good or bad, but what's undeniable is that the Dreamcast was way ahead of its time when it first came out, what with its advanced graphics, revolutionary processing power, large disc capicity and of course the online gaming and features (which was all free, if my memory serves me). Again, it all depends on one's opinion, but none of those things point to a bad system if you ask me. Oh, and clearly, it was far more reliable than today's consoles, too...

(my apologises if I've strayed off-topic, by the way. I probably won't be saying anything more on the subject)

Good post. :tmb: I can see that Dreamcast has a small base of die-hard fans but that's not the same as something being overrated. Something like the Wii is IMO overrated. :p

da tomb raider!
26-09-09, 21:40
Good post. :tmb: I can see that Dreamcast has a small base of die-hard fans but that's not the same as something being overrated. Something like the Wii is IMO overrated. :p

Thank you. And yeah, I agree about the Wii. It's a fresh and interesting console, certainly, but doesn't derserve nearly as much praise as it gets if you ask me.

Cristina
26-09-09, 21:42

I have my xbox 360 for about 8 months and never broken :D

cool_omar
26-09-09, 21:57
I have my xbox 360 for about 8 months and never broken :D

:O lucky u -__- mine broke after 2 xD

Cristina
26-09-09, 22:03
:O lucky u -__- mine broke after 2 xD

Already??:eek:indead you keep all the day and night playing?:p
and indead exits xbox 360 than never broken in 4 years:p

Zebra
26-09-09, 22:09
I dont think you should be defending Sony. No matter how rare ylod is, it is still a problem and sony should cover it when it occurs.

Have I said they shouldn't :rolleyes:? No. But if someone says that PS3s USUALLY get YLODs when they're a year old is simply a lie.

larson n natla
26-09-09, 22:12
My elite broke after 12 months, I sent it off 2 weeks later it was back fixed with a quieter fan (don't know how) so I thnk although the problem is much more unusual sony should extend there warranty.

Lara's home
26-09-09, 22:15
Thank you. And yeah, I agree about the Wii. It's a fresh and interesting console, certainly, but doesn't derserve nearly as much praise as it gets if you ask me.

The Wii gets praise? Where? :p

Minty Mouth
26-09-09, 22:16
This has been blown way out of proportion. The problem is very rare and usually caused by negligent owners. It's a shame that Sony are charging, but anyone who thinks this is actually a significant problem needs to take another look.

Super Badnik
26-09-09, 22:20
I noticed a few people have tried to brush this off as nothing and saying Sony is right to do nothing at this stage but obviously it is becoming widespread, with PS3's getting YLOD later in life and all the recent complaints. With all these complaints being made public, Sony should do something, it's just a little idiotic not to with such fierce competition from the 360 and the Wii (competition which, by the way, is wining at the moment in terms of popularity). It's as if Sony just want to slowly give up on consoles.

cool_omar
26-09-09, 22:35
Have I said they shouldn't :rolleyes:? No. But if someone says that PS3s USUALLY get YLODs when they're a year old is simply a lie.

so your saying i was lieing right it usually come's after the warranty

da tomb raider!
26-09-09, 22:39
The Wii gets praise? Where? :p

All over the place, it would seem. Reviewers often talk about the console in positive tones, and the media sure seems to like it a lot, too. And then there's the high sales, as well, which naturally results in a large fanbase. Of course, not everyone likes it, and I'm not saying that it doesn't deserve all of the success it's getting, but nevertheless, it's still rather overrated in my eyes.

I noticed a few people have tried to brush this off as nothing and saying Sony is right to do nothing at this stage but obviously it is becoming widespread, with PS3's getting YLOD later in life and all the recent complaints. With all these complaints being made public, Sony should do something, it's just a little idiotic not to with such fierce competition from the 360 and the Wii (competition which, by the way, is wining at the moment in terms of popularity). It's as if Sony just want to slowly give up on consoles.

As I said in my first post, it's not widespread at all at the moment. Again, a few reports here and there saying that a couple of thousand units are going wrong is nothing compared to the millions of PS3s that are still working fine. Sony simply can't be expected to do anything when such a small amount of PS3s are going wrong. It doesn't make much sense and it'd be unfair on Sony. When hundreds of thousands of PS3s are reported to have gone wrong, then we can get the pitchforks out. Until then, we just have to wait and see if the problem actually gets worse.

Zebra
26-09-09, 22:40
so your saying i was lieing right it usually come's after the warranty

Maybe your wording was simply a little unfortunate. The way you said it in the post I was quoting made it seem like EVERY PS3 gets it after a year.

cool_omar
26-09-09, 22:44
Maybe your wording was simply a little unfortunate. The way you said it in the post I was quoting made it seem like EVERY PS3 gets it after a year.

:L i see , ok so let me re-phrase my post the ps3 usually fails after the warrenty , like 7 months or so after the warranty (i hope i make sense )

Super Badnik
26-09-09, 22:45
As I said in my first post, it's not widespread at all at the moment. Again, a few reports here and there saying that a couple of thousand units are going wrong is nothing compared to the millions of PS3s that are still working fine. Sony simply can't be expected to do anything when such a small amount of PS3s are going wrong. It doesn't make much sense and it'd be unfair on Sony. When hundreds of thousands of PS3s are reported to have gone wrong, then we can get the pitchforks out. Until then, we just have to wait and see if the problem actually gets worse.Not fair on Sony? Their one of the richest and biggest brands ever. And if it really is only a small amount then surely it wont cost Sony that much of their billions upon billions to fix it for free.

da tomb raider!
26-09-09, 22:55
Not fair on Sony? Their one of the richest and biggest brands ever. And if it really is only a small amount then surely it wont cost Sony that much of their billions upon billions to fix it for free.

Actually, Sony have been doing pretty poorly recently, particularly on the PlayStation 3. They've lost millions on the console, and I don't believe that they've actually made a profit on it yet. With that in mind, Sony can hardly spare any cash for free repairs, no matter how little it'll cost. And again, I don't believe they should, either. Not yet, anyway.

Mad Tony
26-09-09, 23:33

(my apologises if I've strayed off-topic, by the way. I probably won't be saying anything more on the subject)I keep on saying this: I never said the Dreamcast was a bad console. However, I personally don't think it's the best console ever like some people crack it up to be.

BigR4444
26-09-09, 23:43
:L i see , ok so let me re-phrase my post the ps3 usually fails after the warrenty , like 7 months or so after the warranty (i hope i make sense )

And you're basing that statment on ... what exactly????
Youve had PS3s fail on you???

Sounds like your just making a statement, without any info to back it up.
I have a 20 gb PS3 that i got about month or two after launch..... Its quite old, i guess i got it around Dec 06 or Jan 07.... Here we are 2+ years later, and no YLOD for me, or my 2 freinds who ordered from Circuit city like I did.... So to say that PS3s "usually" fail like 7 months or so after the warranty is just an untrue statement on your part.

These Yellow lights of death, if they do occur, must be quite rare.....
If they were common it would be talked about quite a bit....

Im not saying it doesnt exist.... but maybe its due to owner carelessness...

cool_omar
26-09-09, 23:45
And you're basing that statment on ... what exactly????
Youve had PS3s fail on you???

Sounds like your just making a statement, without any info to back it up.
I have a 20 gb PS3 that i got about month or two after launch..... Its quite old, i guess i got it around Dec 06 or Jan 07.... Here we are 2+ years later, and no YLOD for me, or my 2 freinds who ordered from Circuit city like I did.... So to say that PS3s "usually" fail like 7 months or so after the warranty is just an untrue statement on your part.

These Yellow lights of death, if they do occur, must be quite rare.....
If they were common it would be talked about quite a bit....

Im not saying it doesnt exist.... but maybe its due to owner carelessness...

yes it did happen to me after the warranty by 7 months with the 20 gig ps3
-_- i dont say random things for no reason

Trigger_happy
26-09-09, 23:57
I can't believe that that poorly made Watchdog programme made such a fuss over this. Sony said that less then 0.5% of PS3 consoles get YLOD, and suddenly 0.5% means 100%.

BigR4444
26-09-09, 23:57
http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/09/18/the-ps3s-yellow-light-of-death-big-deal-or-sorta-%E2%80%98meh%E2%80%99/

Been doing some searching... and apparently the BBC's piece is pretty much the only one out there....

LOL.... 0.5%.... thats like nothing.

Granted id be ****ed off if it happened to me, but 0.5% sounds like the "occasional owner moment of carelessness" rather than a problem with the console itself.

Or more likely, the console is overheating due to collecting dust, or being left in a tight space without enough room to ventilate

Twilight
27-09-09, 00:08
I can't believe that that poorly made Watchdog programme made such a fuss over this. Sony said that less then 0.5% of PS3 consoles get YLOD, and suddenly 0.5% means 100%.

0.5%? that's like nothing. phew.

BigR4444
27-09-09, 00:14

Good point.... I failed to point that out.....
A very aggressive article for such a low failure rate....
Looks like the PS3 isn't so perfect after all.
I feel sorry for people who are having these problems. Sony should know better, it's this kind of attitude that's probably lead to the PS3 being a lot less popular than the PS2 & PS1 were. They need a wake up call if you ask me, i would have thought the PS3 being less popular than other next gen consoles would do just that but obviously not.
Posts like these make me laugh....

I had a feeling that no matter how large and mighty MS may think they are, they did handle the RROD the right way. Awhile ago when I started hearing things about YLOD I figured Sony would try and pull something like this, theyll learn the error of their ways.

Yea thats a good point :rolleyes: ..... MS rushed 360 out the door, with a high failure rate, and Sony has a fail rate of less than 0.5%..... So MS handled it the right way.... lol

Dia2blo
27-09-09, 00:16
This happened to my brother, and despite being told by Marten Obrien (i think that's wha he said his name was?) that because he is such a valued customer (he told them how much he has spent in total on games etc.) that it would be fixed, he soon after recieved a message saying that it wouldn't be.

He has since switched to the 360, which in a twisted way i'm quite happy about as it means we can play games together (which we have been more than ever!)

michaeldt
27-09-09, 00:24
I hope this never happens to my PS3, fortunately, I think that its still under warrany right now....

BigR4444
27-09-09, 00:27
http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home/D3Q7G8S2?page=2

Lets be realistic here.... Im willing to bet that whether you have a PS3 or a 360.....
If it somehow breaks after a year.... youre pretty much screwed.

Whether its Sony telling you its your problem, or, in the case of this article, MS sending you back a dirty used system thats not yours.... yur gunna get screwed because they are big companies you cant touch, and you are just a powerless consumer.

So lets get off Sony for this BBC watchdog article written by some fanboy, or parent of a fanboy, that rips Sony for having a <0.5% fail rate..... ridiculous

Dia2blo
27-09-09, 00:35
http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Home/D3Q7G8S2?page=2

Lets be realistic here.... Im willing to bet that whether you have a PS3 or a 360.....
If it somehow breaks after a year.... youre pretty much screwed.

Whether its Sony telling you its your problem, or, in the case of this article, MS sending you back a dirty used system thats not yours.... yur gunna get screwed because they are big companies you cant touch, and you are just a powerless consumer.

So lets get off Sony for this BBC watchdog article written by some fanboy, or parent of a fanboy, that rips Sony for having a <0.5% fail rate..... ridiculous

Of course it is written by a some sort of fanboy, but there is no harm in discussing it and sharing thoughts surely? I don't ever see that sort of post in RROD threads. Ironically.

EDIT: sorry didn't mean to sound so harsh, i'm just saying... :)

snork
27-09-09, 00:45

Been doing some searching... and apparently the BBC's piece is pretty much the only one out there....

LOL.... 0.5%.... thats like nothing.

IF it were "nothing", than why can't Sony easily repair them on theit costs ? With their usual greedy business practices it should be peanuts for them.

But of course it is NOT nothing.
1/2% of 24.6 million = 123.000
123.000 != nothing

BigR4444
27-09-09, 00:49
IF it were "nothing", than why can't Sony easily repair them on theit costs ? With their usual greedy business practices it should be peanuts for them.

But of course it is NOT nothing.
1/2% of 24.6 million = 123.000
123.000 != nothing

0.5 or 123,000 of 24 million could be chalked up to user abuse rather than console failure....

Im not saying I agree with Sony giving people the shaft.... but the idea that when it comes to console failure, "Sony is screwing over its fanbase and MS is doing everything right" is just laughable

Dia2blo
27-09-09, 00:55
0.5 or 123,000 of 24 million could be chalked up to user abuse rather than console failure....

Im not saying I agree with Sony giving people the shaft.... but the idea that when it comes to console failure, "Sony is screwing over its fanbase and MS is doing everything right" is just laughable

Of course it is, (it's a generalisation) but it still doesn't mean that it's being dealt with in the right way. Even if it was just one person, it's still not user error and therefore some sort of compensation should be given. Arguably though, Microsoft would probably behave the same if the issue weren't such a big one. But it's not who's doing what better, it's what Sony is doing wrong.

Also i'm sure that sounds a lot more long winded than it should.

BigR4444
27-09-09, 01:00
Of course it is, (it's a generalisation) but it still doesn't mean that it's being dealt with in the right way. Even if it was just one person, it's still not user error and therefore some sort of compensation should be given. Arguably though, Microsoft would probably behave the same if the issue weren't such a big one. But it's not who's doing what better, it's what Sony is doing wrong.

Also i'm sure that sounds a lot more long winded than it should.

I hear what your saying, and im not condoning Sony for having consoles fail, or screwing those over who are unfortunate enough to fall into that category.... but no electronic device has ever had a 0.0% fail rate......

But go back and read Page 1 of this topic...... you would think by reading that, that PS3s are failing all over the place, which is just not true

Dia2blo
27-09-09, 01:05
I hear what your saying, and im not condoning Sony for having consoles fail, or screwing those over who are unfortunate enough to fall into that category.... but no electronic device has ever had a 0.0% fail rate......

But go back and read Page 1 of this topic...... you would think by reading that, that PS3s are failing all over the place, which is just not true

True, but these things are always blown out of proportion. I suppose i take it more personally seeing as it just happened to my brother, but i think we all know really that it isn't such a huge issue. I'd like to wonder why no-one complains about PC's and laptops crashing. Mine craps out all the time! The amount of laptops my household has gone through over the last few years! :mad:

BigR4444
27-09-09, 01:18
True, but these things are always blown out of proportion. I suppose i take it more personally seeing as it just happened to my brother, but i think we all know really that it isn't such a huge issue. I'd like to wonder why no-one complains about PC's and laptops crashing. Mine craps out all the time! The amount of laptops my household has gone through over the last few years! :mad:

Because complicated hardware like PCs, laptops, and videogame consoles are going to have some cases of failure..... granted the 360s fail rate is unarguably a little too high..... and Im sure Microsoft fanboys jump at the chance to claim the PS3 s failing as well..... which is how you get a topic like this one

Dia2blo
27-09-09, 01:27
Because complicated hardware like PCs, laptops, and videogame consoles are going to have some cases of failure..... granted the 360s fail rate is unarguably a little too high..... and Im sure Microsoft fanboys jump at the chance to claim the PS3 s failing as well..... which is how you get a topic like this one

Exactly :tmb:

larafan25
27-09-09, 01:55
Sony seem to be assholes, yet I am still buying their consoles............

better not happen to me:)

Phoebe_Croft
27-09-09, 08:30
Hmm.. I'm pretty sure 360 fan boys will be glad to hear this. Luckily I don't have a PS3 :).

Trigger_happy
27-09-09, 12:02
>0.5% of 25 million is less then the number of Americans each year who get injured on the Toilet. Its stupid the American Govt. doesn't pay for safe toilets.

0.5% failure rate is very good, yet somehow, a single PS3 dying means that Sony are evil. Like every other company in the world has an identical warranty system.

Paddy
28-09-09, 08:59
Like the Xbox 360 with RROD just because Sony has Yellow Light of Death doesnt mean certain fail if you have either console. Simple.

Kiss-Bite
28-09-09, 09:07
It's never a nice feeling to feel screwed over by a big company!:( Microsoft did handle the RROD very well but saying that, they really had no choice given how widespread & big the problem was.:yik:

I've had my 60BG PS3 since launch, over two years now, & I haven't had a single issue I'm happy to say. The same goes for my friends that own a PS3 & a few of those friends have had a 360 also which has sadly failed on them. If this relatively small issue with the PS3 became very widespread then of course Sony really should take measures like Microsoft did.;)

Until then I remain pretty confident that the PS3 system as a whole will be just fine & will not see a widespread failure. I say this based simply on the fact that I've personally not known anybody that has had a PS3 fail on them & also taking the statistics into account.:) Of course as always time will tell.

Dennis's Mom
28-09-09, 13:12
I'm not sure where the $$$ are coming from. If you go to Sony's site, they'll tell you up front what the out-of-warranty repair fee is: $150, plus shipping.

When PS3 went down (out of warranty) I took it to the local gamestore that repaired them. It was cheaper and I got my own console back.

I do think MS has the right design idea with the detachable HD. It certainly made returning our console to them easier.

tranniversary119
28-09-09, 13:15
The Wii would be even better if it actually had good games :cool: I'm planning on getting a PS3 regardless of this yellow ring of death.

Lara's home
28-09-09, 13:16
The Wii would be even better if it actually had good games :cool: I'm planning on getting a PS3 regardless of this yellow ring of death.

Omg I wouldn't. Look at the failure rate.. :mad:
And Wii doesn't have many good games? I can name 3 good games that has come since the release! Mario, Metroid, Zelda. :p

Megalith
28-09-09, 13:17
I do think MS has the right design idea with the detachable HD. It certainly made returning our console to them easier.

PS3 has a detachable HD too.

tombofwinston
28-09-09, 14:08
Ms Only Extended the Warranty, Because Of how widespread the problem was, Something like 30 % I think.
Sony Probbably ar'nt Paying for repairs because Partly because of their Financial Situation and they need to keep all the profits they can get, But also the large majority of consoles that are Failing, are probably Failing Because of people Spiling Coke on them and people being Generally Careless with them.
However Microsoft did handle the situation quite well and if this YLOD problem gets worse, Sony should look up to Microsoft.

PS3 has a detachable HD too.

Yep it does but the Xbox is a little easier to get to as you can actually see it but the PS3s is Hidden.

aussie500
28-09-09, 14:08

No they cover for all faults for 12 months, anything from your washing machine to your PC is likely to break for one reason or another after the warranty is up its not unusual for lots of people to have the same problem with the same gadget. If only a tiny percentage of PS3's tend to have the problem they are not going to fix it for free after the 12 months. This is like buying a Blu-ray player and expecting to get it fixed for free after the warranty is up, manufacturer only warranties it for a certain time.

The Xbox 360 fault was fairly widespread and was a fault in the console Microsoft was aware of, they chose to fix it even if it occurred after the warranty was up, but still only for 2 extra years. Most XBox 360's will die within 12 months if they are going to though. Microsoft is just making sure none of their customers suffer for their shoddy workmanship. At least in Australia they will also offer you 1 month free Gold Xbox Live membership for the inconvenience of having to send your Xbox 360 back to be fixed.

tranniversary119
28-09-09, 15:39
Omg I wouldn't. Look at the failure rate.. :mad:
And Wii doesn't have many good games? I can name 3 good games that has come since the release! Mario, Metroid, Zelda. :p

There you go three games/franchises, hardly enough to please me. It's geared towards family's anyway with younger kids...are for parties and whatnot. Can't see people playing that on a day to day basis like xbox/PS3 if anything once a week. I've had my wii since it released and I honestly have played it 10 or so times.

Doctorb
28-09-09, 17:39
I used to do A/V repairs in my last job. Most stuff these days are quite reliable but you do get the odd model (of anything) that actually has a design fault or common problem.
Most electrical items usually fail because of 2 reasons...overheating or localized electrical problems. Overheating because items are not ventilated (as per instruction manuals), kept in a closed door cabinet or wedged between other appliances...DVD, VCR, Freeview box/Sky etc. All it takes is one cheap little power supply resistor to go and its dead.
The other is power surges. Best way to know if it's a potential problem is to count how many lightbulbs you go through, bulbs should last a few years, if they're getting a kicking, so are your other electricals.

Solutions to the above? As far as the PS3 is concerned, now and again check the airvents and vacuum them/clean. Make sure that the unit is well ventilated and away from other electricals...especially a Sky+ box. Do a power reset now and again if you leave it in standby.
For power surge problems, get a surge protector (same as the one your PC should have), expensive but can save money in the long run. :)

BigR4444
28-09-09, 18:26

Like weve been saying, there really isnt anything to worry about, as PS3 failure rate is less than 0.5%....

To put that in perspective.... thats one out of every 200 consoles

paulwork
28-09-09, 19:06
I feel like I should "touch wood" when I say this, but up until now, my PS3 thankfully hasn't experienced this problem.

I've even left it switched on (accidentally) while on a 2-week vacation, and it was still fine.

I did notice a few odd glitches sometimes (the screen freezes during gameplay) but I always thought this was a problem of the disc, and usually switching off and back on again fixes the problem.

But - I never connect PS3 online, so maybe I'm not so vulnerable to bugs, trojans and viruses through the internet like others. I guess it pays off to be an old school dinosaur and do everything with physical ps3 disks..:-)

robm_2007
28-09-09, 19:10
i bought my PS3 about a week ago, and it better not get any dumbass YLOD.
it froze a gwme once, but that was nothing too bad.

xXhayleyroxXx
28-09-09, 19:13

i very much doubt it will hun, iv had mine since christmas
and they fix themselves usually when they freeze

Minty Mouth
28-09-09, 19:17

Y'know what, I can almost guarantee you will not get the Yellow light.

robm_2007
28-09-09, 19:25
i very much doubt it will hun, iv had mine since christmas
and they fix themselves usually when they freeze

Y'know what, I can almost guarantee you will not get the Yellow light.

well goody then.:D i wouldnt want to have 2 consoles (360 and PS3) that can become dead and require repairing.