PDA

View Full Version : My Cats Sick :( (Im seeing a trend here)

TR love
28-09-09, 13:47
So basically one of our cats who was deemed gone and dead has turned up at the doorstep. I hurriedly brought out the catfood, water and milk. But he bent down to rest his chin in the milk, then randomly stood back up and started opening and closing his mouth as though he was something sticky keeping him from opening it (Oh and i failed to mention the substance lining the outside of his mouth, dried and sticking his fur).

Further examination showed that his back legs are buckled slightly, he is skinnier then usual, and he smells terrible.

I know that we can take him to the vets tomorrow, But i dont know if he will last through the night. He is just standing there over his bowl staring ahead! GAH! :(

I dont know what to do, Im hoping SOMEONE here is a cat expert. Is there some way i can feed him? At least give him liquid? :hea:

Gabi
28-09-09, 14:06
That does not sound good. :(
Is there not a vet-emergency-line that you could ring and ask for advice (some veterinary surgeries here are manned 24/7)?
I am no expert when it comes to ailments, but I'd say have him checked out as soon as possible, don't wait until tomorrow.
To me it looks as if he wants some milk/food but is just not able to take it in for some reason.
Possible poisoning?

Rai
28-09-09, 14:07
I'm sorry to learn your cat is poorly. :(

I'm gonna ask the obvious. Presumably you've tried cleaning that stuff off his mouth? Can he open his mouth a little, perhaps enough to get a little food or water in by hand?

I don't know what to suggest with regard to his legs, but try giving him a wash with a flannel if he doesn't like baths. That might at least help with his smell.

I hope you can get this sorted out tomorrow or sooner if you can. :hug:

michaeldt
28-09-09, 14:11
wait, what sort of substance is around his mouth?

irjudd
28-09-09, 14:12
If it were my cat, I'd find a 24 Hour Animal Hospital right now.

tombofwinston
28-09-09, 14:13
So basically one of our cats who was deemed gone and dead has turned up at the doorstep. I hurriedly brought out the catfood, water and milk. But he bent down to rest his chin in the milk, then randomly stood back up and started opening and closing his mouth as though he was something sticky keeping him from opening it (Oh and i failed to mention the substance lining the outside of his mouth, dried and sticking his fur).

Further examination showed that his back legs are buckled slightly, he is skinnier then usual, and he smells terrible.

I know that we can take him to the vets tomorrow, But i dont know if he will last through the night. He is just standing there over his bowl staring ahead! GAH! :(

I dont know what to do, Im hoping SOMEONE here is a
cat expert. Is there some way i can feed him? At least give him liquid? :hea:

I would'nt wait till tomorrow, Also Can you try and feed it to him through a Bottle or something.

TR love
Well in this town there is only one vet clinic, and its not always open (which is very inconvenient)

I doubt its poisoning, he usually gets into fights with other cats, I just dont know how it affected his mouth so much, nor how its screwed up his legs.

So now that i think about it it could be poising, we do have dodgy "cruel to animal" people living nearby.
Wow reassuring...

Nerd For Life
If it were my cat, I'd find a 24 Hour Animal Hospital right now.

Definitely.

michaeldt
it could be pus that is around his mouth....

TR love
28-09-09, 14:18
it could be pus that is around his mouth....

Unfortunately thats what i think too...

Encore
28-09-09, 14:19
From what I read in my cat book (:p) poisoning would present much more serious symptoms, including spasms, foaming from the mouth, constant vomiting, diahrrea etc.

I think the most probable cause, since he was away from home, is that he got in a fight with another cat and the injuries are infecting. If that's the case I think it's pretty dangerous. Maybe, while you're waiting to go to the vet, you should try to clean up any possible wounds he has?

TR love
28-09-09, 14:26
Hey thanks everyone, for your concern and ideas :hug:

From what I read in my cat book (:p) poisoning would present much more serious symptoms, including spasms, foaming from the mouth, constant vomiting, diahrrea etc.

I think the most probable cause, since he was away from home, is that he got in a fight with another cat and the injuries are infecting. If that's the case I think it's pretty dangerous. Maybe, while you're waiting to go to the vet, you should try to clean up any possible wounds he has?

Well, i feel better about it not being poison now, thanks.

Ill scope him out for more wounds and see what i can do.

michaeldt
28-09-09, 15:28
my cat gets into a lot of fights too, she once had a small peice of her ear ripped in half :( since that, she hasn't been allowed outside at night-time. if your cats back legs are acting strange, the cat that he was fighting with might have scratched a tendaen (cant spell it right) or your cat might have pulled a ligament by stretching his legs....

Shark_Blade
28-09-09, 15:38
Your vet, don't you have a contact number for the doctor in case of emergency?

Bestr call now rather than waiting for the inevitable to come.

TR love
28-09-09, 15:52
Your vet, don't you have a contact number for the doctor in case of emergency?

Bestr call now rather than waiting for the inevitable to come.

Thats the thing, i cant.
There is only one vet in this little country town and its not exactly "there whenever you need it"

Besides even if it was open, my dad (being something i cant say on this forum) would never drive me in.

Azerutan
28-09-09, 18:50
If it was my cat and we didn't know any vet available, I would go hell to any hospital nearby and any police office until anyone would see my cat.

If you're THAT worry, I suggest you to look at every alternative. We KNOW whe our pet is simply not right.

Dennis's Mom
28-09-09, 19:01
Call the vet. Most have an answering service for emergencies, and you may get a call back.

He's probably dehydrated and malnourished. Try to keep him comfy until you can get a vet to look at him.

Lavinder
28-09-09, 20:14
Check your cats throat to make sure it's not got anything lodged - if there is then try and scoop it you. Try and spoon feed him milk/water or use a syringe and try and keep him warm and comforted. :hug:

jackles
28-09-09, 20:19
Cats can suffer from dental problems too. That could stop your cat eating and be very painful for it.

I suggest atleast trying to ring your vet for advice. They should have an out of hours service.

violentblossom
28-09-09, 22:10
By the way, you should NEVER give your cat milk. They cannot properly break down the enzymes within it.

Lavinder
29-09-09, 14:05
By the way, you should NEVER give your cat milk. They cannot properly break down the enzymes within it.

I did not know that.. :(

violentblossom
29-09-09, 14:08
I did not know that.. :(

A couple of times is probably okay, but certainly not often. :)

interstellardave
29-09-09, 14:10
They sell cats' milk, or some kind of formula like that... but cows' milk is another thing entirely.

violentblossom
29-09-09, 14:11
They sell cats' milk, or some kind of formula like that... but cows' milk is another thing entirely.

Yep, this^. :tmb:

Lavinder
29-09-09, 14:16
A couple of times is probably okay, but certainly not often. :)

Is it a bit like cheese with humans?

violentblossom
29-09-09, 14:18
Is it a bit like cheese with humans?

Possibly. :p There just aren't any nutrients in cow's milk that could benefit a cat and so their bodies have no need to be able to process it. I know that alot of cats are lactose intolerant also.

interstellardave
29-09-09, 14:21
My cat loves spray cheese that you can squirt on crackers... I give him a little bit every once in a while as a treat, when I'm having some 'cause he comes running as soon as I remove the cap!

Dennis's Mom
29-09-09, 14:27
I used to have a cat that went gaga over vanilla frosting. I had to put some on his paw just so he would leave me alone so I could frost cookies. And no leaving the cookies out for the frosting to set. I would return to see cookies denuded of icing and tell tale footprints in the rest. :p

Rai
29-09-09, 14:27

Possibly. :p There just aren't any nutrients in cow's milk that could benefit a cat and so their bodies have no need to be able to process it. I know that alot of cats are lactose intolerant also.

Wow, I never knew that. It's good to know. You learn something new everyday :tmb:. I have given my cat milk before, but sparingly. She likes it and will watch me as I eat cereal. She also practically stole my icecream fromm me the other day. She also like marmite.

snork
30-09-09, 11:22
marmite is good, also for cats.

I tried the cat-milk stuff, but my cat then produces smeary and very stinky poo. :cen:

I always offer her when from eating corn flakes there's some little milk left in the bowl, but she does not like that.
---------------------------------

so, what became of TRLove's cat ?

interstellardave
02-10-09, 15:41
I'm a bit curious how this turned out?