PDA

View Full Version : Laws of property.

Nausinous
30-09-09, 11:21
I was just wondering, if you receive a parcel with your name on it but it's been payed for by someone else, who does it belong to?

TRhalloween
30-09-09, 11:22
I would say it's a gift from the payer.

Nausinous
30-09-09, 11:26
What if the gift giver wants it back, by law do you have to give it to him?

Cochrane
30-09-09, 11:27
Best idea would be to discuss this with the payer and get a consensus solution.

TRhalloween
30-09-09, 11:27
I wouldn't say so.

Anyone else? :p

Nausinous
30-09-09, 11:28
Best idea would be to discuss this with the payer and get a consensus solution.

He wants it back but its got my name on it, I would prefer to keep it. Could he get the police to do anything?

bloodstormaoa
30-09-09, 11:31
If there is some sort of proof that he gifted it to you, then it's yours and there's not a thing he can do about it.

Nausinous
30-09-09, 11:32
If there is some sort of proof that he gifted it to you, then it's yours and there's not a thing he can do about it.

There is no proof that it was a gift, I think. The parcel box has my name on it and the invoice has his card details on it. I'm rather confused.

TRhalloween
30-09-09, 11:34
There is no proof that it was a gift, I think. The parcel box has my name on it and the invoice has his card details on it. I'm rather confused.

He payed for it, but it's for you. Whither he says so or not, it's a gift to you.

jamieoliver22
30-09-09, 11:34
Speak to them about it? They've paid for it so it belongs to them, and you haven't both agreed that you can keep it so you should give it back.

Nausinous
30-09-09, 11:35
Speak to them about it? They've paid for it so it belongs to them, and you haven't both agreed that you can keep it so you should give it back.

He won't speak to me about it, he just wants it back but I wanted to keep the shiny ps3 slim. I guess I have to give it back.

TRhalloween
30-09-09, 11:36
Wait, was it intended for you? If not it should probably go t to them.

bloodstormaoa
30-09-09, 11:37

That should be sufficient enough. I doubt the police would get involved in something like this, and if the person who payed for it wanted to be very awkward and took you to court, it would be your word against his over whether or not it was a gift.

Nausinous
30-09-09, 11:37
That should be sufficient enough. I doubt the police would get involved in something like this, and if the person who payed for it wanted to be very awkward and took you to court, it would be your word against his over whether or not it was a gift.

Awesome sauce, the PS3 slim is mine. BWHAHAHA! :mis:

Dennis's Mom
30-09-09, 12:25
I think it would be highly unethical to keep such an expensive mistake. You're invoking a technicality, something that lawyers and jerks do. You don't want to be in that group do you?

However, his failure to discuss why his name is not on it makes me wonder. PS3s and the like a not available to some countries because of their hardware components (can be used to track missiles or something). Sounds paranoid, but perhaps this guys is ineligible to get one on his own for trafficking in forbidden stuff, hence your name. Perhaps the police should be involved.

Angel666
30-09-09, 12:40
If it had my name on it, I would keep it. :whi:

TRhalloween
30-09-09, 12:57
Sorry but I kind of need to know :o Was it intended for them or you?

Nausinous
30-09-09, 13:06
Sorry but I kind of need to know :o Was it intended for them or you?

It was intended for me of course.

If it had my name on it, I would keep it. :whi:

Too right.

TRhalloween
30-09-09, 13:08
It was intended for me of course.

Oh right. I guess it's your's :)

disneyprincess20
30-09-09, 13:10
I'm pretty sure that under UK Postal Regulations, if it's got your name on the package, it's yours (hence why it's illegal to open someone elses mail). However, Dennis's Mom made a very good point:

I think it would be highly unethical to keep such an expensive mistake. You're invoking a technicality, something that lawyers and jerks do. You don't want to be in that group do you?

I don't think you have to return it, but what will it cost to keep it? If it's going to make the situation worse, then why not return it and save yourself the hassle?
Hope you're ok
:hug:

Cochrane
30-09-09, 13:48
He won't speak to me about it, he just wants it back but I wanted to keep the shiny ps3 slim. I guess I have to give it back.

I guess the important bit would be the actual story behind it. If he deliberately sent it to you, then it's equivalent to them giving it to you: Might be a gift, might not be, depends a lot on the circumstances. If he made a mistake by sending it to you, then doing anything but returning it to him would be highly unethical and probably illegal as well.

violentblossom
30-09-09, 14:15

I'm going to take an educated guess here and say that he doesn't care.

Really now, Richard. I'd give it back to him. Don't be nasty just because you've been hurt. After all that he's done for you..

irjudd
30-09-09, 15:58
What if the gift giver wants it back, by law do you have to give it to him?

He wants it back but its got my name on it, I would prefer to keep it. Could he get the police to do anything?
You're asking for legal advice on Tomb Raider Forums? Seriously? Ulterior motive much?

spikejones
30-09-09, 18:25
WHY was it sent to you?
does the person not have their own mailing address? in this case it was most likely sent to you so that you would be able to receive it for them.

was it sent as a gift?

WHO sent it?
a "friend" with whom you have had a falling out with?
a parent/other family member? <-- requesting it back must be a form of punishment - just do it, and youll likely get it back

Who is it REGISTERED to?
they do still do product registrations for stuff like that don't they?

Phlip
30-09-09, 18:30
OMG try asking him why it has your name on it! :rolleyes: If he doesn't answer then keep it.

Does it have cred it card details or a PS3 Slim? You're making very little sense here. :confused:

Larson_1988
30-09-09, 18:32
Well, if you behaved yourself, you wouldn't even make this thread. Probably....

TRhalloween
30-09-09, 18:32
Why did he pay for it in the first place if it's for you?

*richietrent*
30-09-09, 18:35
As it has your name on it, i would say its your property!

viper456
30-09-09, 18:52
It was clearly bought as a present! This thread is infuriating!

I would feel like a right **** keeping a "gift" that cost 250 after I had fallen out with someone. It was addressed to you so I guess its your property now...it's up to you what you do but I guess you have made your mind up :rolleyes:

Dennis's Mom
30-09-09, 19:21
It was clearly bought as a present! This thread is infuriating!

I would feel like a right **** keeping a "gift" that cost 250 after I had fallen out with someone. It was addressed to you so I guess its your property now...it's up to you what you do but I guess you have made your mind up :rolleyes:

Normally I would agree with you, however the gist I'm getting is that this box came out of the blue. If it were clearly a gift, I don't think the OP would be asking us for our opinion.

"I bought you this PS3 slim. I hope you like it."

"Of course I like it. It's you I hate. Be gone!"

In the case above, it's clearly a gift. Sure, it's loutish behavior to accept a gift under such circumstances, but it's a gift, free and clear. But in this case there's clearly some mystery here as to timing and intent. My friend used to use my address to mail things to because she threw "home parties" for herself (a la Pampered Chef) and would have the stuff mailed to me. It came addressed to me, but I knew it wasn't intended for me. I cheerfully gave my friend her stuff and wondered if the discount were worth all the hassle.

If this expensive item were truly a gift, I think it would have been presented as such.