PDA

View Full Version : Discrimination Discussion (D.D.)

Tonyrobinson
30-09-09, 23:29
This is in no way a thread to start a fight and I am very aware that controversial threads like these normally end up closed but I wanted to bring awareness and support in this thread. If you want to drop in any experience you have with the subject or stories of others all can be shared and discussed in this thread.

Growing up in Northern Ireland essentially under a catholic religion I myself have found that people are so pety to others just because they are different. In my opinion discrimination is one of the worse things effecting are planet and how lack of disregard to others has been socially accepted.

This occured to me the other day as I sat in a lecture and over heard an offensive joke about my religion which I will not post because of the disgusting humour used.

What provokes people to be discrimative. In this thread we will explore the subject, provide useful tips on how it shall not let you down and post stories or personal experiences we have had with discrimination.

Whether is be Media related provoking it or blatant disregard for others opinions. The tongue is a powerful weapon and it is our choice on using it responisibly.

So I thank all of you for your participation in this thread and hope you all keep it acceptable and raise issues which will affect others behaviour...

Thank you for your time,

Tony

ChingKong
01-10-09, 00:03
wow im sorry. I agree with you, people can cause so much pain with words, however when it comes to me and discrimination/prejudice i laugh it off. From what ive experienced, people like to sound funny, and will attempt to do so at any cost. There are some individuals that are taught to believe discriminatory statements though..

Tonyrobinson
01-10-09, 00:35
Yes, it doesn't get to me much but I am trying to examine why the person discrimates if there is no harm done to them by a specific groups :)

miss.haggard
01-10-09, 01:28
My thoughts on discrimination (and/or racism) - Its never going to go away, so there is no point in crying over it constantly. Discrimination varies from person to person, where sometimes it may depend on the where the person lives or how they were raised, but the majority of what I have seen it depends solely on the person and his or her life experiences.

If the people being discriminated against want it to be stopped against them, they should stop throwing stones first. Calling me "whitey" and "cracker" isnt going to help me change my mind about using a certain N word. Seeing as it is just a word.

Go ahead, flame me for my opinion.

Uzi master
01-10-09, 01:33
personaly I don't think the N word is that bad but I still won't use it otherwise I would get in trouble:p ok only replieing to haggard but hy do people think its racist? just because black people were called that, not like they called them anything else.

miss.haggard
01-10-09, 01:38
personaly I don't think the N word is that bad but I still won't use it otherwise I would get in trouble:p ok only replieing to haggard but hy do people think its racist? just because black people were called that, not like they called them anything else.

Im assuming because its related to slavery, and all the bad mojo that went down then. But personally I see it as a word, I use it, I certainly dont call people it... to their faces, but honestly until people stop using the word in songs, in popular culture or stop throwing names back at me, Im going to keep using it at my free will.

Putting an 'a' at the end makes it no better.

silver_wolf
01-10-09, 01:48
People are idiots, we kill anyone who is different or doesn't agree with us. Discussion over.

EmeraldFields
01-10-09, 01:52
My thoughts on discrimination (and/or racism) - Its never going to go away, so there is no point in crying over it constantly. Discrimination varies from person to person, where sometimes it may depend on the where the person lives or how they were raised, but the majority of what I have seen it depends solely on the person and his or her life experiences.

If the people being discriminated against want it to be stopped against them, they should stop throwing stones first. Calling me "whitey" and "cracker" isnt going to help me change my mind about using a certain N word. Seeing as it is just a word.

Go ahead, flame me for my opinion.

If someone calls you a name that you don't like, do you think by calling them an offensive name is going to solve anything?

And, if words are just words, then why is there a censor on this forum?

miss.haggard
01-10-09, 02:08
If someone calls you a name that you don't like, do you think by calling them an offensive name is going to solve anything?

And, if words are just words, then why is there a censor on this forum?

I never said that some people dont take offense to words. I personally dont take offense when someone calls me Whitey, its just a word, I just think that if they want something they ought to stop saying it themselves. It makes no sense for one race to be able to say a word just because "they went through something."

In my post I never said that people take offense to words, I was speaking MY opinion, my position, I was speaking for me.

I dont support racism/discrimination, I think the world would be a better place if we could put it behind us, but it never will. Period. It all depends on the person, the situation, its doesnt matter what you have to say, or who is in office, it will never change. And fella' - Thats MY opinion.

EmeraldFields
01-10-09, 02:10
I never said that some people dont take offense to words. I personally dont take offense when someone calls me Whitey, I just think that if they want something they ought to stop saying it themselves. It makes no sense for one race to be able to say a word just because "they went through something."

In my post I never said that people take offense to words, I was speaking MY opinion, my position, I was speaking for me.

I dont support racism/discrimination, I think the world would be a better place if we could put it behind us, but it never will. Period. It all depends on the person, the situation, its doesnt matter what you have to say, or who is in office, it will never change. And fella' - Thats MY opinion.

Yep and you're most definitely entitled to it!

I was just asking your reasoning, that's all.

miss.haggard
01-10-09, 02:11
Ok, thanks for questioning something that you wanted to know, instead of flaming and getting angry! :hug:

JRod2208
01-10-09, 02:36
Well, my cousin was once in line for at a fast food place and a man wanted to cut in front of him simply because "he owed him."

I don't bring this up to start anything against a particular race, I merely want to point out that white people are not the only people that practice racism. No one on this thread has said so, but so many of my peers seem to think it a "white person" thing. No, African Americans and Cacasians can both be racist and quite frankly I'm sick of it.

Some white people think they are better than the minorities and the minorities think that white people owe them retribution for something that they did not suffer from and that the current generation of whites did not do. I do not believe that the son should pay for the father's crimes. Some minorities (not mentioning any names...) think that white people don't deserve civil rights cases. That is ridiculous. The dictionary may say that it only applies to minorities, but white, black, hispanic, asian... they all deserve equal treatment. And if it is a white person suffering from dicrimination from a minority, then I firmly believe that they should have the right to press charges against that person.

So many minorities use the "racism" card to hide behind when a white person criticizes them. And so many white people back off as soon as that happens. It's irritating. The world is not divided into fields of black and white, good or evil. Humans can see in color can't we? That doesn't mean we should just focus on two colors, but see the world as a whole.

For the record, I'm half white, half hispanic. Both sides of my heritage can irritate me sometimes, but I'm well aware that a ton of people are not like what I have said. But it's those few, loud and irritating people that can hog the spot light and make it seem like the world is an awful, terrible place. I believe that there are more good people than there are bad people actually. :)

miss.haggard
01-10-09, 02:38
JRod, I agree completely with you and have not could have said it any better. :tmb:

Mr.Burns
01-10-09, 02:40
Just a side note here (if you have no idea what I am talking about, then you're fine): Please keep to the topic and not dig up a member's prior misdeeds. Thank you.

Azerutan
01-10-09, 03:38
I have one question: why do people consider a Goth a Satanic or a serial killer? Or a teen who has Goth tastes (Gothic Rock, Darkwave, Deathrock...) is immediately consider a freak or something...?

Another thing I never got: every time someone, who listens to dark metal bands or Marilyn Manson or nazi heavy metal bands, commits a crime such as killing someone, why do everyone and the media start to blame Goth subculture? What Goth subculture has to do with any of those bands? :p

:) For me, even though I live with this kind of discrimination, I never got why people mix these things up. Lack of information perhaps...

Oh well, here's my contribution about a descrimination that unfortunately seems to be very underrated, forggetable and very common these days.

Mad Tony
01-10-09, 06:21
I'm pretty much in agreement with JRod here. Furthermore, I think "positive" discrimination (or affirmative action in the US) that many western governments have enforced is criminal and completely wrong. Giving one ethnic group priority over another just because of their race is pathetic.

It also sickens me when media companies for example say they're going to recruit more minorities just for the sake of not "looking racist". I don't care if all my newsreaders are black, white or asian or whatever, I just want the best ones.

Nannonxyay
01-10-09, 09:05
I have one question: why do people consider a Goth a Satanic or a serial killer? Or a teen who has Goth tastes (Gothic Rock, Darkwave, Deathrock...) is immediately consider a freak or something...?

Another thing I never got: every time someone, who listens to dark metal bands or Marilyn Manson or nazi heavy metal bands, commits a crime such as killing someone, why do everyone and the media start to blame Goth subculture? What Goth subculture has to do with any of those bands? :p

:) For me, even though I live with this kind of discrimination, I never got why people mix these things up. Lack of information perhaps...

Oh well, here's my contribution about a descrimination that unfortunately seems to be very underrated, forggetable and very common these days.

I really have no idea why people make these assumptions of Goths. It's unfair that somebody will judge a person for the way they dress and call them a devil worshiper or evil. The media can be an evil thing. It twists things and has to find something to blame for such crimes, so instead of doing a check up on a murderer's mental health, or someone who has commited suicide's health, they go directly to the type of music, games or movies that the person enjoyed.

The same thing happened a while ago to a boy in England. He was a teenager and was extremely depressed because he was bullied a lot at school, and he listened to bands which would be considered 'emo', such as "My Chemical Romance" (who I love btw. So yeah, I know they're not emo and saying they are is just ridiculous), and they began to blame the band's music for promoting suicide and started to blame them for the boy's death. Which I thought was ludicrous, because the band's lyrics don't promote suicide at all, infact they promote to carry on living and be who you are no matter what. The media just couldn't be bothered to blame the boy's mental health and needed something to place the blame on, so they placed it on the band. The boy's mother spoke publicly that it wasn't the bands fault, but various newspapers still commented and warned parents about their teens listening to these so called 'emo' bands.

It's pathetic to blame a musician for a person's actions. I'm not a Marylin Manson fan, but the man does not tell kids to go out and shoot people. The kid's own mental health problems tell them to go do that.

Greenkey2
01-10-09, 10:17
I must admit, the vast majority of the time I have no discrimination levelled against me because of my sexuality (bisexual).

However, I do believe that my 'coming out' a couple of years ago was one reason why a number of friends - with whom I had been attending a very friendly and cooperative group - suddenly decided to send me a rejection letter asking me to leave and not return to their meetings. There were a lot of shallow (and utterly irrelevent) excuses in the letter, but I'd known the leader for over five years and know when I was tactfully being told to get lost because of my feelings.

It's odd that I had considered these people to be very open-minded and tolerant, yet they still chose to listen to their inner prejudice rather than five years' worth experience of working with me.

I think this underpines most if not all discrimination; namely, it stems from a lack of genuine understanding rather than empathy, education, openness and respect. If more people were willing to step outside their perception to try and understand where others are coming from (for example, putting a healthy person in a wheelchair, dressing/using makeup to imitate and live as another race for a week or so) then I think the basis for discrimination would be suddenly have a lot less weight to throw around.

I know it's a long post, but that's my fifty pence's worth :wve:

disneyprincess20
01-10-09, 10:32
I think this underpines most if not all discrimination; namely, it stems from a lack of genuine understanding rather than empathy, education, openness and respect. If more people were willing to step outside their perception to try and understand where others are coming from (for example, putting a healthy person in a wheelchair, dressing/using makeup to imitate and live as another race for a week or so) then I think the basis for discrimination would be suddenly have a lot less weight to throw around.

I've recently had a bit of experience with this.

Lat year my mother broke her leg quite severely, and it was just after that we found out she had cancer. She had to be in a wheelchair for a little while, then her hair started falling out because of the chemo. She's still the same person, she just looks quite different. Taking her shopping in the wheelchair is a nightmare; not because of the chair, but how the shop staff act around her. They treat her like she's an idiot because she's in a chair, and are so patronising. She asked one of the staff to check if they had something in her size in the store room, and they lady literally shouted at her "I WILL JUST GO CHECK THE STOREROOM. I'LL BE RIGHT BACK" like mum was deaf. Sometimes they don't speak to her at all, only to the person with her. It's really made me think about how disabled people are treated.

I think, no matter how good our intentions, there will always be an element of discrimination; as a society (probably even as a species) we aren't quite ready to put every difference aside yet. However, it's not pleasant to e on the wrong end of it.

Nannonxyay
01-10-09, 12:23
I've recently had a bit of experience with this.

Lat year my mother broke her leg quite severely, and it was just after that we found out she had cancer. She had to be in a wheelchair for a little while, then her hair started falling out because of the chemo. She's still the same person, she just looks quite different. Taking her shopping in the wheelchair is a nightmare; not because of the chair, but how the shop staff act around her. They treat her like she's an idiot because she's in a chair, and are so patronising. She asked one of the staff to check if they had something in her size in the store room, and they lady literally shouted at her "I WILL JUST GO CHECK THE STOREROOM. I'LL BE RIGHT BACK" like mum was deaf. Sometimes they don't speak to her at all, only to the person with her. It's really made me think about how disabled people are treated.

I think, no matter how good our intentions, there will always be an element of discrimination; as a society (probably even as a species) we aren't quite ready to put every difference aside yet. However, it's not pleasant to e on the wrong end of it.

That's terrible. They shouldn't have treated your mother like that at all. It's disgusting. There's a boy at my school who has a growth problem and he has the sweetest personality, but people treat him like he's a child and are so patronising toward him. It really ****es me off when people do that to him or do things for him which he is pretty capable of doing himself. He was about to get some books from a shelf which he could reach perfectly, but a teacher walked over and grabbed the books and handed it to him. I think she was only trying to help, but he was perfectly capable of getting the books himself. She was prolly only trying to make herself look better.

Dennis's Mom
01-10-09, 13:47
Humans are wired to have a "herd" mentality. We fear the "stranger."

We look for ways to justify our own bad behavior by pointing to other people's bad behavior, the old "they did it first!" argument that failed in 3rd grade. Regardless of what you may think, words matter. It's called "communication" for a reason, and how you choose to communicate defines you as a person. How you represent your thoughts, your feelings makes a difference not only to the person to whom you speak, but also to every person they speak to. How many times as a negative encounter "ruined your day" or a positive one "made it"? This is the power we all posses.

I'll just quote Saroyan: "Be the inferior of no man, nor of any man be the superior. Remember that every man is a variation of yourself."

I don't think people will ever stop "fearing the stranger," but I think a healthy dose of "looking for yourself" in that other person would go a long way towards greater understanding.

Azerutan
01-10-09, 14:01
It's pathetic to blame a musician for a person's actions. I'm not a Marylin Manson fan, but the man does not tell kids to go out and shoot people. The kid's own mental health problems tell them to go do that.
Even though the "emo thing" is very recent and not my cup of tea, I have to admit, to me, it is equally ridiculous to blame a non-depressive band for that kid's death - did you know it was proved that classical music could influence someone to commit suicide if that person was in a state of depression? Oh well, let's blame Mozart for that! :vlol:

It is just too easy for the parents, media and society put the blame in someone else than rather giving the boy the responsability of his own death.

It is a completely different situation from my problem though. Goth subculture in Europe is like HUGE and it's been so for 30 years. It annoys me to death when a crime is commited by some kid who listen to, let's say, Rammstein, media starts to blame Goth subculture and lifestyle for weeks to come.

Many years ago, I chose not to fight this battle, it's simply useless but what does Goth subculture have to do with Rammstein? What about the hundreds of Goth-affiliated people who may suffer the attacks of those who may not understand it and be rather mislead by media's stupid allegations? Do you think that hatred attacks towards Goth are nonexistent? There is a reason for people not to go to the media and blame, let's say, the black community because a black man killed someone else or blame the Brazillian community because a Brazillian stole a bank and hold hostages. Why then the Goth subculture seems to be different and everyone seem to point their fingers?

I personally know people who were mocked, beaten, stabbed and even killed in attacks of descrimination - none of those were, let's say, "media drama material" and they have never been on the news as far as I can remember. I even know someone who had his face disfigured after being beaten with a heavy stick. Discrimination against Goth subculture happens EVERYDAY and many people are killed because of that. Having the media envolving the subculture and its followers in events that have nothing to with them, simply because they are ignorant in that area, do not help the cause.

In England, funny enough, after the death of a Goth girl in a park by a group of teenagers, who had nothing interesting to do but to beat just for fun two people because they were "different", the authorities refused to pass a bill to protect the subculture in terms of hate crime. So I heard...

Punaxe
01-10-09, 16:48
Everyone has prejudices and everyone discriminates. What matters is on what basis and on what scale, and the best one can do is be aware of those two factors and the reasons behind them.

I can get along with everyone if I have to, but if it has to be more than professional cooperation or casual contact, I become picky and discriminate based on "compatibility with myself", which I often judge from superficial characteristics. I am convinced that people who are substantially different from me even in those superficial ways can't be very similar to me in "deeper" ways, and can therefore not become friends of mine. While I realize that this conviction is logically flawed, I am confident that superficial traits give me sufficient basis to not pursue relations with certain people.
This does not mean I am stubborn: I would let any individual prove me wrong, but my default behaviour towards certain people is to ignore them.

For example, I am prejudiced against people who go out and get drunk even if it's only once a week because this is so far away from my idea of "fun" that I assume all our other leisure activities probably fall in entirely different categories as well, and by extension our personalities. The same goes for people who show signs of adherance to certain lifestyles (listening to certain music or dressing in a certain way can be taken as such a sign) and yes, "not pursuing relations" is a light way of saying it in some cases; "having disdain" sometimes fits better. This would be when our beliefs (that is, my own beliefs and those I infer the other person to have) are not just "incompatible", but when one goes against or violates the other.

I realize I can be strongly opinionated and judgmental in this regard, but to repeat, I think everyone is and what matters is basis, scale and awareness. I think that I am reasonable in my assumptions; I do not consider my assumptions to be absolute and am open to be proven wrong in all cases; my decisions affect only my personal relationship with other people; I am fully aware of my reasonings which also allows me to look beyond them when necessary.