PDA

View Full Version : Question about Star Trek

Lara Croft!
01-10-09, 21:26
I watched the movie and I liked it a lot. I haven't watched anything Star Trek related in the past. I checked the IMDB and there are so many movies and TV series that I don't know what to do.

Do you suggest I watch everything? Or are some movies/TV series considered the best?

Spong
01-10-09, 21:27
Give all of it a try :tmb:
I like Star Trek, but not every last movie or TV series.

Mr.Burns
01-10-09, 21:29
Some would say go for everything. I'd say start with The Orginal Series. A bit hokey but worth a watch and a lot of presented messages about society that were unconventional at the time (first interracial kiss on tv). As for the movies, start with the first six as they are the classics. The Next Generation was one of my favorite tv series. The original series and movies will help give you a better idea of the TOS history and how much was changed by the new movie. :wve:

Dennis's Mom
01-10-09, 21:35
The original series gets my vote too. The even numbered movies are good, as is First Contact, but they build so much on what happened in the series, relationships, lore, I think it would be tough to get the most out of them.

Punaxe
01-10-09, 21:38
I've never seen The Original Series myself... Even though I'm somewhat of a fan of Star Trek, I'm just not sure if I could look through the clearly outdated sets. Because of that, and because I'm a fan of The Next Generation, I would recommend the series of The Next Generation instead. :p

(Generally there are two types of ST fans: ones who think The Original Series is the best, and ones who think The Next Generation is the best. I personally think TNG would be the better choice for 'newcomers'.)

SamReeves
01-10-09, 21:40
Movies, I'd see the Wrath of Khan. Is it the best out of the 10 movies.

TV…I'd go with TOS first, then TNG, and Voyager which were the best. You have to have a taste for DS9 or Enterprise IMO. Not everyone liked those two, but I didn't have a problem with them.

Phys
01-10-09, 22:02
I'd definitely recommend watching Next Generation and Voyager. I absolutely loved these series. I haven't watched the original series... Only a few episodes. Deep space nine is also good, but its kinda like watching a soap opera at times. Enterprise was rather Meh.. to me.

Encore
01-10-09, 22:11
I watched the movie and I liked it a lot. I haven't watched anything Star Trek related in the past. I checked the IMDB and there are so many movies and TV series that I don't know what to do.

Do you suggest I watch everything? Or are some movies/TV series considered the best?

I'm in the same situation, I just got into Star Trek because of the new movie. I watched The Original Series because it's about the same characters so it's definately the best point for you. :)

Cochrane
01-10-09, 22:29
I'd say Star Trek, the franchise as we know it today, is defined mainly by the classic movies (in particular movies 2-6) and TNG, so I'd start with those. Classic set it all up, but the actual widespread universe was really first created by the movies and TNG.

wantafanta
02-10-09, 01:30
Oh, man, if you haven't ever seen the original TV series.... at least see the pilot episode. It was called "The Cage" but also "Menagerie." Then see "Where No Man Has Gone Before" - very frightening. Also see "Man Trap". Maybe "Spock's Brain." The special effects were often very good - but just as often quite cheapo. But it didn't matter. The acting and the scripts were top notch. The original series had such great character development. Especially the relationship between Dr. McCoy and Commander Spock.

voltz
02-10-09, 03:13
I feel that if you started with the new movie, then it's already hopeless. However watch the old show anyway and let Shatner grow on you, you probably won't like how the new cast compares after awhile then.

Nerd For Life
02-10-09, 16:11
The Original Series, for the same reasons Encore stated. It's simply amazing.

interstellardave
02-10-09, 16:15
The Original Series is the heart and soul of Star Trek, IMO. It best captures the spirit of exploration and the wonder of discovery. New viewers can gain a perspective into how revolutionary it was, too, not just as a TV show but as a vehicle for cultural change during the turbulent 60's and 70's (it's fandom grew tremendously in syndication during the 70's).

Nerd For Life
02-10-09, 16:37
The Original Series is the heart and soul of Star Trek, IMO. It best captures the spirit of exploration and the wonder of discovery. New viewers can gain a perspective into how revolutionary it was, too, not just as a TV show but as a vehicle for cultural change during the turbulent 60's and 70's (it's fandom grew tremendously in syndication during the 70's).

Everytime I watch a new Star Trek episode, I am amazed. It never ceases to surprise me with the excellent acting, superb plots and characters.

voltz
02-10-09, 16:42
New viewers can gain a perspective into how revolutionary it was

luVjkTEIoJc

interstellardave
02-10-09, 16:45
Volz, I'm of two minds about your post:

1) Funny video!

2) But I'm not sure what it has to do with my statement... hopefully it's not meant to detract from it, because Star Trek was undeniably revolutionary!

Nerd For Life
02-10-09, 16:48
Volz, I'm of two minds about your post:

1) Funny video!

2) But I'm not sure what it has to do with my statement... hopefully it's not meant to detract from it, because Star Trek was undeniably revolutionary!

Agreed. :D

interstellardave
02-10-09, 16:53
Everytime I watch a new Star Trek episode, I am amazed. It never ceases to surprise me with the excellent acting, superb plots and characters.

Yes... perhaps you will change your avatar to "classic" Spock soon! :p

I envy you that you are enjoying Star Trek for the first time now... my first time for all those episodes was long ago. I am rewatching them now on Blu Ray, with the new effects (mostly the outer space shots are redone) and I'm loving it! They did an awesome job with these remastered sets...

Nerd For Life
02-10-09, 16:57
Yes... perhaps you will change your avatar to "classic" Spock soon! :p

I envy you that you are enjoying Star Trek for the first time now... my first time for all those episodes was long ago. I am rewatching them now on Blu Ray, with the new effects (mostly the outer space shots are redone) and I'm loving it! They did an awesome job with these remastered sets...

In fact, I'm just deciding on a new avatar... You didn't like the 2009 movie? I really liked it, and I'm glad I decided to watch TOS.

I'm jealous you get to watch them in blu-ray! That must be amazing! I finished season 1, and it was freaking awesome! It's got the perfect balance. It's serious, thrilling and also funny. McCoy+Spock+Kirk are the funniest trio. I laughed out loud in the ending of the season finale.

voltz
02-10-09, 16:58
But I'm not sure what it has to do with my statement... hopefully it's not meant to detract from it

oh you know I was just playing around a little. :p

Orionvalentine
02-10-09, 16:59
I've recently been watching Voyager and I'm really enjoying it. I haven't seen any Star Trek movies and I only ever used to watch the early stuff when my parents had it on TV. I'm actually really excited at the prospect of all the movies and series' that I can start watching!

Agent 47
02-10-09, 17:00
I've never seen The Original Series myself... Even though I'm somewhat of a fan of Star Trek, I'm just not sure if I could look through the clearly outdated sets. Because of that, and because I'm a fan of The Next Generation, I would recommend the series of The Next Generation instead. :p

and i'll maintain that that is the most shallow attitude ever, you see season 1 & 2 of TNG lately, they look terrible!!!!

I'm in the same situation, I just got into Star Trek because of the new movie. I watched The Original Series because it's about the same characters so it's definately the best point for you. :)

i wouldn't say it's about the same characters ;) and technically speaking......they aren't. nice to know you actually gave TOS a chance though :jmp:

I feel that if you started with the new movie, then it's already hopeless. However watch the old show anyway and let Shatner grow on you, you probably won't like how the new cast compares after awhile then.

i like your opinion :D

totally agree, it may have aged but TOS is still a damn fine tv show, a product of it's time. like Interstellar said, in it's day Star Trek paved the way for storytelling and sci-fi. also a technical showcase for colour tv :D

Long Live William Shatner as James T Kirk, accept NO imitations :jmp:

to the OP, i suggest working your way through the whole of Trek, (TOS,Movies 1-6, TNG, DS9, VOY,TNG era movies, Ent) you get a feel then for the advanced timeline and technology :D

Enjoy the good and bad

interstellardave
02-10-09, 17:04
In fact, I'm just deciding on a new avatar... You didn't like the 2009 movie? I really liked it, and I'm glad I decided to watch TOS.

I'm jealous you get to watch them in blu-ray! That must be amazing! I finished season 1, and it was freaking awesome! It's got the perfect balance. It's serious, thrilling and also funny. McCoy+Spock+Kirk are the funniest trio. I laughed out loud in the ending of the season finale.

I haven't seen the movie yet... already being a long-time ST fan, I was put-off by what I heard about it, but I will still see it... I just didn't want to pay to see it in the theater. My wife will insist we rent it when it comes out, so I'll give it a chance then. I promise to keep an open-mind about it!

Buckle up, 'cause Season 2 is better still (IMO)... ;)

Nerd For Life
02-10-09, 17:07
I haven't seen the movie yet... already being a long-time ST fan, I was put-off by what I heard about it, but I will still see it... I just didn't want to pay to see it in the theater. My wife will insist we rent it when it comes out, so I'll give it a chance then. I promise to keep an open-mind about it!

Try to be open minded about it. I understand it must be difficult for a TOS fan, and having watched that first it might affect your opinion of the 2009 movie... but give it a chance I say.

I'm so excited for season 2!!! :cln:

The extras for season 1 are spiffy as well, I'm watching them before I start season 2.

voltz
02-10-09, 17:11

yeah just be on the lookout when you come across this scene......

Z1eFdUSnaQM

Nerd For Life
02-10-09, 17:12

That was in season 1.

Agent 47
02-10-09, 17:14

Kirk-Fu FTW :jmp:

Amok Time fight scene PWNS all :D

da da da da da da na na na na na :vol:

interstellardave
02-10-09, 17:15
Yeah, that was Season 1... I still love that episode; it's a shame that was the best they could do with costuming and such back then. The moral of the story is still good though.

@ Nerd For Life:

What were your favorite Season 1 episodes? I'll list my five favorites (no order):

The Galileo Seven
Space Seed
A Taste Of Armageddon
The Devil In The Dark
The City On The Edge Of Forever

voltz
02-10-09, 17:18
That was in season 1.

oh whoops! Well I guess nothing else should come up as too cheesy by this point since that was about as bad as it gets.

Nerd For Life
02-10-09, 17:20
@ Nerd For Life:

What were your favorite Season 1 episodes? I'll list my five favorites (no order):

The Galileo Seven
Space Seed
A Taste Of Armageddon
The Devil In The Dark
The City On The Edge Of Forever

Let's see...

The Naked Time
Dagger of the Mind
The Corbomite Maneuver
Shore Leave (I loved it so much!)
The Galileo Seven
The Return of the Archons
Space Seed
A Taste of Armageddon
This Side of Paradise
The Devil in The Dark
The City on the Edge of Forever

It seems like I have a lot of favourites :p

interstellardave
02-10-09, 17:22
I purposely limited myself to 5... of course all the other ones you list are also stand-outs! I do have a particular affinity for Shore Leave, too. If I had to pick only one episode to add, and expand my list to six, it'd be that one.

Nerd For Life
02-10-09, 17:23
I purposely limited myself to 5... of course all the other ones you list are also stand-outs! I do have a particular affinity for Shore Leave, too. If I had to pick only one episode to add, and expand my list to six, it'd be that one.

Shore Leave was brilliant... and it was really funny at parts. :D

interstellardave
02-10-09, 17:26
I just re-familiarized myself with the listing of episodes that are in Season 2... whoah boy! It's a "who's who" of great episodes. There are probably 15 episodes in that season that I like as much as my top 5 in season 1!

Nerd For Life
02-10-09, 17:28
I just re-familiarized myself with the listing of episodes that are in Season 2... whoah boy! It's a "who's who" of great episodes. There are probably 15 episodes in that season that I like as much as my top 5 in season 1!

I'm particularly looking forward to Trouble With Tribbles. :p

interstellardave
02-10-09, 17:31
I'm particularly looking forward to Trouble With Tribbles. :p

Oh, man... the interactions between Kirk and the Federation undersecretary of argriculture Baris are CLASSIC. Pay close attention... you won't want to miss a moment of Shatners' performance in this one. ;)

Nerd For Life
02-10-09, 17:34
I will! I always play close attention while watching Star Trek. Well anything, really, but I can't even stand to have people talking to me while I'm watching ST because I'm so concentrated. :o

Agent 47
02-10-09, 17:36
I will! I always play close attention while watching Star Trek. Well anything, really, but I can't even stand to have people talking to me while I'm watching ST because I'm so concentrated. :o

nothing wrong with dedication :D

LightningRider
02-10-09, 17:44
The first established the fame of Sci-Fi, and what I consider the best, the acting, scripts and even the overall look of the show is fantastic. I too watched the Movie First, and the first I started. Watch that with the fist movies, and you have one of the best Ways to represent Sci-Fin in a long time.

:jmp:

CerebralAssassin
02-10-09, 18:20
you can't go wrong with The Next Generation...the plots are highly sophisticated,and there are such lovable characters you can get into.;)

Punaxe
02-10-09, 18:49
and i'll maintain that that is the most shallow attitude ever, you see season 1 & 2 of TNG lately, they look terrible!!!! (...)

I don't know how shallow it is to prefer more realism, or to be worried about how the lack of realism would detract from one's viewing pleasure. I'm still planning of giving it a go, mind you. I just know myself, and would think that others may have the same problem, especially if they're not a fan yet.

Agent 47
02-10-09, 19:03
I don't know how shallow it is to prefer more realism, or to be worried about how the lack of realism would detract from one's viewing pleasure. I'm still planning of giving it a go, mind you. I just know myself, and would think that others may have the same problem, especially if they're not a fan yet.

see beyond the 1960's and pay attention to the stories :D the dated effects are part of it's charm :( alternatively just watch the remastered episodes where all the 1960's effects have been replaced by modern CGI :D

Nerd For Life
02-10-09, 19:04
see beyond the 1960's and pay attention to the stories :D the dated effects are part of it's charm

That's what I think, too. :D

interstellardave
02-10-09, 20:11
The dated effects rarely ever bother me... of course I grew up with it that way! I will say that the modern CGI they've added has been done perfectly... not overbearing in any way (they didn't go overboard), and it only improves the look and feel of the shows--but never alters it in any negative way. I'm highly impressed that they managed to make it better without any compromising of the original material.

Nerd For Life
02-10-09, 20:13
The dated effects rarely ever bother me... of course I grew up with it that way! I will say that the modern CGI they've added has been done perfectly... not overbearing in any way (they didn't go overboard), and it only improves the look and feel of the shows--but never alters it in any negative way. I'm highly impressed that they managed to make it better without any compromising of the original material.

They don't bother me either, as some of the movies I like the most are 'dated', effects-wise. It really makes me sad that sometimes people won't give certain things a chance because of reasons like this one. I tried to tell one of my friends how amazing the original series are, and he said he probably won't watch it because it wouldn't stop laughing at the dated effects. I wanted to punch him.

Agent 47
02-10-09, 22:41
They don't bother me either, as some of the movies I like the most are 'dated', effects-wise. It really makes me sad that sometimes people won't give certain things a chance because of reasons like this one. I tried to tell one of my friends how amazing the original series are, and he said he probably won't watch it because it wouldn't stop laughing at the dated effects. I wanted to punch him.

should give him the Vulcan Nerve Pinch :jmp: people are spoiled with new flash and no substance, blinded by special effects, tis so sad indeed

a bit like modern TR players who refuse to try the original Core games (may they burn in purgatory though) :pi:

Nerd For Life
02-10-09, 22:44
should give him the Vulcan Nerve Pinch :jmp: people are spoiled with new flash and no substance, blinded by special effects, tis so sad indeed

a bit like modern TR players who refuse to try the original Core games (may they burn in purgatory though) :pi:

Lmao, great idea, I'm so going to next time he says such rubbish... and he calls himself a movie geek. :vlol: My soul weeps everytime I hear him say that.

Yeah it reminds me of that kind of thing.

Lara Croft!
03-10-09, 12:48
And I suppose whichever ST material I decide to watch, I should do so, as they were released chronologically?

Nerd For Life
03-10-09, 13:17
There you go, Lora.

Series:

The Original Series (1966–1969)
The Animated Series (1973–1974)
The Next Generation (1987–1994)
Deep Space Nine (1993–1999)
Voyager (1995–2001)
Enterprise (2001–2005)

Feature films:

Star Trek:The Motion Picture (1979)
The Wrath of Khan (1982)
The Search for Spock (1984)
The Voyage Home (1986)
The Final Frontier (1989)
The Undiscovered Country (1991)
Generations (1994)
First Contact (1996)
Insurrection (1998)
Nemesis (2002)
Star Trek (2009)

Lara Croft!
03-10-09, 13:57
Thanks! I'll start with the Original series and then I'll watch the movies.

Are all movies based on the original characters? Or should I also watch Next Generation in order to understand it all?

Nerd For Life
03-10-09, 14:03

Are all movies based on the original characters? Or should I also watch Next Generation in order to understand it all?

Good choice. I don't know about the movies, because I only watched Star Trek 2009 just like yourself. :( I plan on doing it, though.

Edit: Here they are.

Star Trek:The Motion Picture - Kirk, now an Admiral, retakes command of the refitted Enterprise to stop a hostile and sentient massive energy cloud advancing toward Earth.

The Wrath of Khan - While exploring test sites for the Genesis terraforming project, the U.S.S. Reliant is hijacked by Khan Noonien Singh, bent on revenge against Kirk who frustrated his plans to seize control of the Enterprise fifteen years earlier (in the episode Space Seed). Khan attacks the Enterprise on a training cruise with inexperienced Starfleet cadets led by Kirk who has not commanded a starship for some time.

The Search for Spock - Concerned about McCoy's unstable condition since Spock's death, Kirk learns that in his final moments, Spock transferred his katra, or spirit, to the doctor. To reunite Spock with his soul, Kirk must violate a quarantine law and steal the Enterprise to retrieve Spock's body from the rapidly dying Genesis planet.

The Voyage Home - Kirk and his crew head for Earth to stand at their court martial for the theft of the Enterprise, and its subsequent destruction, when they find Earth under siege by a giant probe transmitting a destructive signal—intended for the extinct humpback whales. Kirk takes his crew back to the late 20th century to retrieve some whales so they can respond.

The Final Frontier - Exiled from Vulcan, Spock's emotional half-brother Sybok believes he is called by God and hijacks the partially-retrofitted Enterprise-A to take it to the Great Barrier at the centre of the Milky Way to meet his maker, while an ambitious young Klingon captain sets his sights on Kirk.

The Undiscovered Country - After their homeworld is wracked by an environmental disaster, the Klingons attempt to make peace with the Federation though many on both sides are opposed. Just before the summit conference, Kirk and McCoy are arrested for the murder of the Klingon chancellor.

Generations - An energy ribbon cuts a swath through the galaxy on the day of the maiden voyage of the newly commissioned Enterprise-B, and Kirk is presumed killed in an encounter with it. 78 years later, Picard and his crew race against time to stop Tolian Soren, a scientist intent on deflecting it into a planet to gain immortality inside it.

First Contact - The crew of the Enterprise-E pursues the Borg back in time as they threaten to prevent first contact between Humans and Vulcans, thus destroying the Federation before its founding.

Insurrection - The crew of the Enterprise aids a rebellion on the Baku homeworld against Picard’s superior officer, Admiral Dougherty, who wants to relocate the Baku to gain possession of the medicinal cosmic radiation that floods their planet.

Nemesis - Captain Picard confronts the villainous new Reman leader Shinzon, a younger genetic clone of himself who kidnaps Picard to replenish his own DNA and uses an earlier prototype of Data to spy on the Enterprise while plotting to destroy Earth.

Star Trek - An elderly Ambassador Spock attempts to prevent a spatial catastrophe, but is too late to save Romulus. He and a distraught Romulan ship are sent back in time to before the Original Series, changing the timeline. Young Spock and Kirk must thwart the vengeful Romulan survivors, who want to destroy Spock's two home planets—Vulcan and Earth. The film's "alternate reality" frees the film and the franchise from continuity issues.

Agent 47
03-10-09, 16:55

here's the order i'd choose

Star Trek The Original Series (the adventures of Kirk and Co charting strange new worlds) :D

Star Trek Movies 1 - 6

Star Trek The Next Generation (charting new worlds and new civilizations 80 years after Kirk's crew)

Star Trek Movies 7 - 10

Star Trek Deep Space Nine (set on-board the Cardassian station Terok Nor orbiting Bajor)

Star Trek Voyager (state of the art Intrepid Class lost in Delta Quadrant trying to find away home)

Star Trek Enterprise (set before The Original Series)

there :jmp:

Lara Croft!
03-10-09, 18:15
^Thanks!!!:)

SpaceChild
03-10-09, 20:26
LC, I'd begin at the beginning and dive into it chronologically. If you have a serious love of Sci-Fi then this should not be a problem - and in a way I envy you, because you've got this huge body of stories and adventures that you'll be experiencing for the first time.

A lot of people here have commented on the cheesiness of the original '60s series, but if you have an open mind you'll quickly discover that its huge, enduring popularity was never about stunning special effects (though the FX were all cutting-edge for the 1960s, cheesy as they seem now.)

No, the original Star Trek - and later, The Next Generation - is all about theme, story and characterization - the three core elements of fiction that are all but lost now. ('Ever notice how much of the present-day TV shedule is "reality" junk - with no themes, no stories, and no characterization beyond what shows up accidentally?)

Every episode was a kind of morality play - a lot like Serling's Twilight Zone but not as twisted into the supernatural.

I actually didn't even catch TNG when it first aired - I went through a "no TV" phase about that time, where all I'd watch was an occasional documentary on cable - but when I dove into that on later reruns I was stunned by how good it was and by what I'd missed.

The big screen movies are a mixed bag.

Generally skip the very first one ("Star Trek: The Motion Picture,") a grinding, lifeless bore that will put you to sleep - if you're lucky; and avoid "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" at all costs - some Beavis & Butthead types (Nimoy too?) decided that it would be fun to have Spock do some profanity (mm-mm-huh-huh) and the directors and production designers, too lazy to create anything new, decided to send the crew back in time to 1986 San Francisco and dink around with some "Pave the Whales" eco-weirdness by way of cheap political preaching, which made zero sense logically or dramatically.

The best of the lot are "The Wrath of Khan," "The Search for Spock," "Generations" and "First Contact." Watch the rest later if you're bored.

Others may disagree but I didn't care for the Series "Voyager" at all - the whole setup was contrived, the casting was horrible and the stories were boring.

"Deep Space 9" was even worse - reportedly the guy Paramount put in charge of the series, Rick Berman, hated Star Trek and seemed to want nothing to do with it. (http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/1999/10/29/trek/index2.html) The attitude shows, but I guess you have to give the schmuck some credit for keeping the Star Trek franchise alive. But then, since it was his assigned task he pretty much had to do it regardless.

So don't waste your time with Voyager and DS9...unless you get bored.

"Enterprise" was a big step up, despite the horrid, misplaced folk song they picked as the theme music. The retro feel of it was hard for me to get into, but the stories and characterization made it work. Jolene Blalock's T'Pol is easily the best-acted Vulcan character after Spock himself, and no, I'm not letting her kick-arse bod bias that opinion. She played that character to the hilt and made T'Pol utterly believable and totally Vulcan.

Droning, sorry.

Enjoy the journey - again, I envy your newbie position, you're in for a hell of a ride.

Trinity34
05-10-09, 00:50
Hey Lara just remember that not all the movies nor the series have Captain Kirk in them. I guess if you want to stay with Kirk you will have to pick those series and movies with him in them..... but the other captains are good also.

I forget what season/episode of The Next Generation where the Borg is introduced but it was a continuing storyline that was excellent, I loved that whole plot. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!! :)

CerebralAssassin
05-10-09, 01:22
I forget what season/episode of The Next Generation where the Borg is introduced but it was a continuing storyline that was excellent, I loved that whole plot. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!! :)

the borg were introduced in the episode "Q who" in season 2.:D

Lara Croft!
05-10-09, 14:52
SpaceChild That was a hell of a review! Thanks! I do feel lucky, because if I like it, as you said, I'll have so many new things to watch.

It's also sad, because after I'm done with it, that will be all...

Star Wars
The Lord Of the Rings
The Matrix
Harry Potter

.... No epic movies left... :(

tampi
05-10-09, 15:05
http://i38.************/dzup93.jpg:cln:

The Next Generation :tmb:

Cochrane
05-10-09, 15:48
If I may add some general advice: Don't take "don't bother with…" too seriously, no matter who says it. Every single show and movie has its haters and its die-hard fans. If at all possible, try to catch a few episodes from every show (generally later seasons, they tend to be better) and form your own opinions.

Nerd For Life
05-10-09, 16:24
^:tmb: It's up to Lora to watch what she wants. I personally would like to watch everything Star Trek, but one thing at a time. :p

Dennis's Mom
05-10-09, 17:26
I love Star Trek, but I think one can totally ignore "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". It really adds nothing to the tremendous body of Star Trek and is notable mostly because it's the first "reunion".

tombofwinston
05-10-09, 17:29
I love Star Trek, but I think one can totally ignore "Star Trek: The Motion Picture". It really adds nothing to the tremendous body of Star Trek and is notable mostly because it's the first "reunion".

Ughh, the only exiting part of that film is the bit with the Klingon Battlecrusiers :( .

Agent 47
05-10-09, 17:44
If I may add some general advice: Don't take "don't bother with…" too seriously, no matter who says it. Every single show and movie has its haters and its die-hard fans. If at all possible, try to catch a few episodes from every show (generally later seasons, they tend to be better) and form your own opinions.

true that, i recall back in the day i went with the flow of opinion and never gave DS9 a chance.

then i thought "to hell with it" and gave it a chance all the way through, tis my 2nd favourite Trek show :D

people hated it because it dared to be different, i personally found it truer to TOS than the Voy or Ent (by that comment i mean regarding characters)

interstellardave
05-10-09, 17:50
Star Trek: The Motion Picture was Star Trek at it's most cerebral... yes it was not action-packed by any means, but that doesn't mean it was bad. It's grown on me over the years, and I think it's better than Star Trek 5 and maybe 3 as well.

And Star Trek IV was a good movie, too, IMO. It's more light-hearted and has to be taken as such.