PDA

View Full Version : Scariest horror films

Lara Croft!
02-10-09, 11:26
Here are some of the movies that scared me a lot. And I'm not a person who scares easily when it comes to films.

What Lies Beneath

Vm4Fw2QElA4

Drag me to Hell (It had some scenes that made it comical, even in a ridiculous way to some, but I liked it)

BUZTybLlWKI

The Others (one or two moments I was startled)

Vu494-Dr5po

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (some very gory scenes and it kept me at the edge of my seat)

7l7WLabRkTs

Which films scared the hell out of you?

ajrich17901
02-10-09, 11:31
When I was younger definetly Poltergeist. The only thing these days that even somewhat gave me the chills was Silent Hill the ending part.

marla_biggs
02-10-09, 11:51
Blair Witch still freaks me out, love it :)

Your_Envy*
02-10-09, 11:58
The Exorcism of Emily Rose. :eek:

Jo269976
02-10-09, 12:04
I don't really get scared at horror films, but I'll post some one's that have had a huge impact on me in at least one area, or at least have been memorable enough among my top favorite horror movies:

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984): This movie introduced the king of horror, Freddy Krueger, that alone is reason enough to check this out. But as well as that and it being my favourite movie of all time, the premise is just terrifying itself, you got to sleep, you die. Sleeping is a natural human function, we all have to do it, the characters are literally forced to confront Krueger should they find themselves at his bladed hand, whereas it would be easy enough to drive away from Jason or Leatherface and never see them again.

Adgp0v_mfTk

Halloween (1978): John Carpenter's masterpiece still gives me chills to this day, what would seem like a typical slasher flick is drowned in artistic cinematography and metaphorical character portrayal. The ending to this movie is particularly effective.

LydgEmQWOp0

Stephen King's IT (1990): This one is quite infamous on the internet, its Tim Curry's portrayal as the complete of evil which makes this cheesy little made-for-TV movie great, he can turn from comical to borderline insane and evil within milliseconds.

EJRvH_3Jsas

The Thing (1982): Another entry from John Carpenter, this is regarded to many, including myself as the greatest remake of all time, due to the fact it's so different to the movie that preceded it, (The Thing from Another World, 1951)

ouZkkIsLiNg

Other notable entries such as The Exorcist, The Evil Dead, Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) etc.

Really, the golden age of horror was in the 1970's through to the end of the 1980's, check out some of the movies created in that era for some good scares :tmb:

tonyme
02-10-09, 12:36
The Others
The Exorcism Of Emily Rose
What Lies Beneath

snork
02-10-09, 13:07
Stephen King's IT (1990): This one is quite infamous on the internet, its Tim Curry's portrayal as the complete of evil which makes this cheesy little made-for-TV movie great, he can turn from comical to borderline insane and evil within milliseconds.

hehe, when I saw it first time I did not know what to expect and was overwhelmed by the first part (2-part TV-movie).
In the end, for me it is the 2nd best movie of a Stehen King story (I'm usually not a fan of his and my favourite being the one with three stories with the cat)
A TV-movie in two parts outruling cinema movies. :eek: usually means exceptionally good work. But the end was very disappointing to me.

And yes, every now and then, Tim curry does a really good job. (there's a "Titanic" movie I like, him beeing a steward on the ship, such a crook. :mis: )

-------------------------------------------------
The most horrifying movie I ever saw was Don't Look Now, with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie - it all stays unclear, do the mystery things really happen or is it they just go insane over the recent loss of their little child mixed with being in a foreign spooky city (Venice) , and what is happening anyway ? Mystery all over, very very scary.

You may not want to watch it with your parents or a new friend or a date, it contains the sexiest sex scene in a movie ever (I think, no expert here), which is scary by itself, them trying so desperately to be(-come) "alive" (=out of misery and despair) again.

very horrifying.

This film was #22 on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments for its ending. ...

Dennis's Mom
02-10-09, 13:09
Alien
The Orphanage
The Others
Silence of the Lambs

They don't count as "horror" but I find movies like "the Talented Mr. Ripley" and "Training Day" terrifying.

violentblossom
02-10-09, 13:10
The Descent really screwed with me when I first saw it. So did Drag Me To Hell, The Exorcist, and The Shining.

Ikas90
02-10-09, 13:11
The Exorcism of Emily Rose. :eek:

This was the scariest horror movie for me too. :tmb:

Along with Drag Me To Hell.

A few other good scary movies were Shutter, The Messengers and The Grudge. After I watch these movies once, they aren't that scary anymore, because you know what to expect. :(

aileenwuornos
02-10-09, 13:59
The Poughkeepsie Tapes, The Collector (2000's version) and August's Underground were pretty ****ed up.

They make Hostel and all the movies on this page look like Disney.

snork
02-10-09, 14:22
They make Hostel and all the movies on this page look like Disney.

maybe because the question was about scaring movies, not about simply graphic sadistic gore ?

scion05
02-10-09, 14:24
What Lies Beneath is an amazing film, but it's definitely not scary... just a little jumpy.

The best Halloween film for atmosphere is Halloween 4, the work that went into that film clearly paid off. Shame the next few films weren't as good.

tonyme
02-10-09, 14:26
What Lies Beneath is an amazing film, but it's definitely not scary... just a little jumpy.

Hard to say... some scenes make you really scared

Azerutan
02-10-09, 14:39
Kutchup movies doesn't scare me at all really, that's why American horror movies are the worst out there - very cheap and illogical.

I have to say my thing is more European and Asian, specially the Thai scene which is great. Neverthless, my buddy Hannibal Lector is my favourite movie character even though the movies based on him are not scary or anything close to that :)

scion05
02-10-09, 14:51
Hard to say... some scenes make you really scared

Probably doesn't help that I've seen it 100x :ton:

Encore
02-10-09, 15:00
My favourites are The Shining and the Exorcist but the movie that scared me the most, as in, REALLY scared me, "can't sleep at night" kind, was Ju-On. :o Yes, you can laugh at me, but I am totally scared of japanese female ghosts. :(

maybe because the question was about scaring movies, not about simply graphic sadistic gore ?

Very true. To be honest I can't think of a single gore movie that I found scary. They're not scary, they're just shocking. I like Saw, specially the first one, but it's not scary.

CuteKittenlol
02-10-09, 15:01
The Grude was the only film thats ever really scared me XD

scion05
02-10-09, 15:04
The Grude

Sounds amazing :ton:

Chocola teapot
02-10-09, 15:08
The Thing. O_O

The exorcist, Jaws, Exorcism of emily rose and I.T. Don't scare me.

kristi
02-10-09, 15:09
I know it isn't the scariest,but The Ring kept me with nightmares and fear for horror movies for 2 years.:p
Now it's all gone,but I still can't enjoy fully a horror movie.

Mr.Burns
02-10-09, 15:09
Alien
The Orphanage
The Others
Silence of the Lambs

They don't count as "horror" but I find movies like "the Talented Mr. Ripley" and "Training Day" terrifying.

Back in the day, they might have been considered horror movies, or at the very least, thrillers :) Modern films are about shock value, visual overload. They're starting to shift back to psychological terror, our more primal fears. :)

As for me, Suspiria still creeps me out and believe it or not Event Horizon. Creepiest scene in a horror movie I have ever seen: Nosferatu (1922). When Count Orlock rises out of the coffin in the ship's cargo hold....*shudders*

Dina_Croft
02-10-09, 15:22
The Shining...

Not quite scary...But realy creepy...It was an excelent movie though:tmb:

Spong
02-10-09, 15:26
It's not really a horror movie, but Funny Games (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119167/plotsummary) is one hell of a chilling watch and something I'd personally consider intensely horrific. There's an English language remake (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808279/plotsummary) but I've not seen that.

Paddy
02-10-09, 15:28
http://images.killermovies.com/w/wolfcreek/gallery/poster.jpg
This is the scariest movie Ive watched, its because its based on real life stories that its so chilling. I loved the movie though.

Mystery-King
02-10-09, 15:31
Dead Silence is OMG scary on a dark silent night! I can watch it in the light but... eek!

I also know thid girl who is absolutely freaked out with Ghost SHip and shes so terrified of it she can't stand being anywhere which ressembles the movie. I like that movie. Its a bit naff but still watchable...

Spong
02-10-09, 15:33
http://images.killermovies.com/w/wolfcreek/gallery/poster.jpg
This is the scariest movie Ive watched, its because its based on real life stories that its so chilling. I loved the movie though.

I've got that movie, you're right, it's damn scary in places. Especially when Mick's tormenting that girl he has chained up in his garage :eek:

Paddy
02-10-09, 15:35
I've got that movie, you're right, it's damn scary in places. Especially when Mick's tormenting that girl he has chained up in his garage :eek:

Haha yeah that was one of the many frightening bits of the film.
It is a very well done movie though, the reason it scares me as I said is because there are people like Mick out there.

tonyme
02-10-09, 15:38
Probably the main reason The Exorcism Of Emily Rose scared the hell outta me was because the theme of possession was so new to me. And being a Catholic it was a really haunting concept for me for many months, always asking priests at school about it, etc. It was pretty fascinating!

Heckler
02-10-09, 15:47
I really found the Wrong turn movies to be rather creepy more than scary...they are very overrated...

The scariest movie Ive ever seen was Pet Semetary...(it is spelt like that...correct me if im wrong).....The book was scarier though...
A must see for Horror and Stephen King fans....

Oh Wait....there is a movie that is much scarier than anything mentioned here....

I get chills when I read it's name.....:(

Highlight ---->Hannah Montana: The Movie<-----

Jo269976
02-10-09, 15:48
It is a very well done movie though, the reason it scares me as I said is because there are people like Mick out there.

There are a lot sicker people out there than him.

Paddy
02-10-09, 15:50
There are a lot sicker people out there than him.

Yeah including famous serial killer Ivan Milat which is part of what Wolf Creek is based on.

Nemo_91
02-10-09, 17:52
I absolutely love The Others. :tmb: Although I don't think it's a 'horror' but it's scary as hell; mostly because of the atmosphere.

The another one would be The Exorcism of Emily Rose. It's a pity that it got so many bad reviews...I found it really frightening actually. Jennifer Carpenter is definitely good at screaming.

Oh and there's one more: The Shining...which is awesome. :)

tonyme
02-10-09, 17:55
^ Which are exactly my fave ever horror movies! :D:tmb:

michaeldt
02-10-09, 17:58
nothing in a horror movie actually scares me, I may think that something is disturbing or gross but thats about as far as it goes....

Encore
02-10-09, 17:59
It's not really a horror movie, but Funny Games (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119167/plotsummary) is one hell of a chilling watch and something I'd personally consider intensely horrific. There's an English language remake (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808279/plotsummary) but I've not seen that.

I only saw the remake (Tim Roth has a brilliant performance, as usual). I didn't find that scary at all. It's just IMMENSELY disturbing, sometimes even to the point where you wanna turn it off.

Nemo_91
02-10-09, 18:18
^ Which are exactly my fave ever horror movies! :D:tmb:

I so feel like watching The Others right now. Haven't seen it in ages!

tonyme
02-10-09, 18:19
I so feel like watching The Others right now. Haven't seen it in ages!

I've seen it a month ago! :) I have it on DVD, so as the others mentioned above and loads more! :D

corey01
02-10-09, 18:21
The only film thats really scared me is Rec. the original Spanish one, and I've seen soo many horrors :p

Nemo_91
02-10-09, 18:23
The only film thats really scared me is Rec. the original Spanish one, and I've seen soo many horrors :p

The remake is pretty good as well.

tonyme
02-10-09, 18:25

Oh, a friend talked to me about that movie, I'll have to watch it. ;)

Shark_Blade
02-10-09, 18:33
Rec? Never heard of that one before. I can't remember the last horror film that was that scary.. last I saw Orphan, Drag me to hell, orphanage, dark silence (which is so not scary).,,

Encore
02-10-09, 18:55

Oh man. When I saw it I thought it was just another zombie flick, and zombies don't scare me at all, I think they're stupid. But then the final scene arrived..... I was genuinely terrified. :(

Dina_Croft
02-10-09, 18:58
Oh Wait....there is a movie that is much scarier than anything mentioned here....

I get chills when I read it's name.....:(

Highlight ---->Hannah Montana: The Movie<-----

:vlol::vlol::vlol:

I know right?It's scary:pi:

Nenya awakens
02-10-09, 19:11
The remake is pretty good as well.

Even though Quarantine was pretty much a scene for scene remake i enjoyed it at much as a enjoyed REC.

Dennis's Mom
02-10-09, 19:24
28 Days Later is good. I forgot to mention it earlier.

violentblossom
02-10-09, 19:25
28 Days Later is good. I forgot to mention it earlier.

So is it's sequel, 28 Weeks Later. :tmb:

not again!
02-10-09, 19:39
For me Event Horizon and The Haunting (the original from the sixities) take the cake in terms of suspense. They are both amazing.

xx_Hunt_xx
02-10-09, 21:38
Never been scared of a film, mostly because horror is my fave type :)
....Errrm "Creep" creeped me a little with the surgery scene!

WCookie
02-10-09, 21:53
... The blob, anyone?

:eek:

Mystery-King
02-10-09, 21:55
... The blob, anyone?

:eek:

My GOD! When I was younger I watched it. I was about 12 and I dreamt there was a gigantic marmite blob just like it and it threatened to eat my family unless I sacrified myself and it ended up with us running through a massive hedge maze and the blob grew massive and then... I woke up and it was all a dream! :)

Take that, blob! :ton:

WCookie
02-10-09, 21:57
My GOD! When I was younger I watched it. I was about 12 and I dreamt there was a gigantic marmite blob just like it and it threatened to eat my family unless I sacrified myself and it ended up with us running through a massive hedge maze and the blob grew massive and then... I woke up and it was all a dream! :)

Take that, blob! :ton:

When I saw the film, I almost burned every jelly i'd see :eek:

Lara's Nemesis
02-10-09, 22:03
For me Event Horizon and The Haunting (the original from the sixities) take the cake in terms of suspense. They are both amazing.

:tmb: The Haunting is a great film and pretty unsettling in places.

xq74oz6mf3w

I'm pretty sure the whole film is on You Tube in parts.

Legend 4ever
02-10-09, 22:10
I don't know about scariest, but I know about the best ones IMO

Candyman (1992) - an amazing movie, good acting, pretty disturbing

Suspiria (1977) - Dario Argento! Gotta love him. This is a horror classic I love and one of my favorite movies overall. Great acting, scary and haunting music and great colors.

House Of 1000 Corpses (2003) - LOVE IT! Dark, different, the only good Rob Zombie movie IMO

The Others (2001) - Not really a horror, but a great chilling movie, amazing Nicole Kidman at her best.

Scream 1 and the Scream series (1996-2000) - good acting, likable characters, good music, marvelously executed movies. The plot could be a bit weak in the sequels but still a good franchise.

The Exorcist (1973) - Linda Blair! AMAZING!

Gothika (2003) - Underrated, one of the best Halle Berry movies. Scary, demented, different.

Thirteen Ghosts (2001) - Again underrated movie, scary, a bit sloppy, but still disturbing. The only flaw is Shannon Elizabeth.

Deep Red (1975) - Dario Argento again. Great movie, good acting, nice chilling plot.

The Bird With Crystal Plumage (1970) - Amazing movie, Dario Argento's first directorial.

Other good horrors worth watching:
Alien(all the movies IMO),
All The Boys Love Mandy Lane,
Babysitter Wanted,
When A Stranger Calls(remake),
April Fool's Day(original),
Black Christmas(I liked the original and the remake),
Drag Me To Hell,
Jennifer's Body,
Dark Water(orignal Japanese),
Ring(Japanese),
Hostel I & 2,
Saw 1-5,
May,
The Cell,
The Hills Have Eyes(the remake),
Urban Legend,
Dead Silence...

Cloe Christina
02-10-09, 22:13
i thought the most scariest film i have seen so far would be the silent hill film ..... it was really good but it still really scared me ...

Love2Raid
02-10-09, 22:26
What lies beneath? That ain't horror! :ohn:

Oldies:
The Thing :yik:!! :tmb:
The Exorcist
Alien
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Halloween

Relatively new movies:
The Descent (a must see if you ask me!)
Saw (series, although scary for the 'wrong' reasons, they're just gross :p)
Dead Silence (much better than I had expected)

Rivendell
02-10-09, 22:27
:tmb: The Haunting is a great film and pretty unsettling in places.

Definitely very unsettling! :D I really enjoyed it. Studied it as part of my Dissertation this year. :tmb:

Anyone mentioned Session 9, yet? :p

raiderfun
02-10-09, 22:49
I don't think a scary movie exists, no one scares me IMO :D

Although, the ones I enjoyed most are :

-Wrong Turn 1 + 2
-The Hills have eyes 1 + 2
-The descent

;)

Lara's home
02-10-09, 23:11
I've heard "The Changeling" is insane. Haven't watched it though.

Fdx Croft
02-10-09, 23:14
You might laugh, but the spanish movie REC, scared me more than others... That's the only one I have in mind, but I'm sure there are a lot more :S

remote91
02-10-09, 23:31
I just saw the last scene of Sleepaway Camp.

What the hell?

Lara Croft!
03-10-09, 12:58
So far THE OTHERS and THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE are the most frequently mentioned.

tonyme
03-10-09, 13:04
The Omen (2006)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/tonybeayno/s4-recension-omen-stor.jpg

The Exorcism Of Emily Rose (2005)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/tonybeayno/aaf.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/tonybeayno/aag.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/tonybeayno/aah.jpg

The Shining (1980)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/tonybeayno/ShiningRedrum.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/tonybeayno/The-shining-jack-in-maze.jpg

The Others (2001)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/tonybeayno/others1.gif

;)

Jo269976
03-10-09, 13:14
I just saw the last scene of Sleepaway Camp.

What the hell?

LMFAO I saw that the other night.

Best. Ending. Ever.

marla_biggs
03-10-09, 13:17
The Others is very spooky!

dizzydoil
03-10-09, 13:20
http://collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Descent_the/the_descent_poster.jpg

A FANTASTIC film! It's BEAUTY.

Dennis's Mom
03-10-09, 13:34
I'm telling ya, if you liked The Others, you need to see The Orphanage (jA6pPzh6Bd4&NR=1).

Nerd For Life
03-10-09, 13:38
I'm glad to see people mentioned The Exorcism of Emily Rose, I was truly scared by that film when I first saw it. D:

Lara Croft!
03-10-09, 13:55
If you watch scary films, especially ones showing blood, or operational procedures, you may even pass out! It's called Vasovagal attacks/syndrome.
I haven't heard about it till yesterday. We were watching a movie with Panos and some friends. The movie apart from being stupid, slow and pursposeless, it showed blood all the time (and the worst being fed to a baby). We were all disgusted, not in a splatter film way, but more deeply. Towards the end, Panos started sweating profusely and felt dizzy. He was white as a ghost. I was very scared, fortunately he relaxed and after a few minutes his color came back.
His best friend's mom, who lives nextdoor to the house we were and is a doctor, brought the vasovagal attack to our attention. Panos and I have seen some seriously gory stuff in the past (he didn't even blink in real operations we have watched in Google) but that movie, perhaps along with an irrelevant factor, affected him so much, that almost lead him to fainting. And if that were to happen to me, it would be more logical, but Panos has a really strong stomach, I was surprised.

NemesisX13X
03-10-09, 13:58
^ What was the movie called?

Lara Croft!
03-10-09, 14:08
Grace

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID

http://iconsoffright.com/news/grace-poster.jpg

NemesisX13X
03-10-09, 14:15
Well... atleast theres lots of gore! :)
right? :pi:

Tonyrobinson
03-10-09, 14:45
I'm not really sure I don't tend to get scared at films but I'd recommend The Orphan, The Ring, The Grudge, The Excorcist, anything with scary little girls really :p

WCookie
03-10-09, 15:08
Grace

http://iconsoffright.com/news/grace-poster.jpg

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I HATE THAT MOVIE. :hea:

Lara Croft!
03-10-09, 15:30
That makes 6 of us ...
(You, me, Panos and our 3 friends who watched it with us yesterday)

violentblossom
03-10-09, 15:43
Is Grace corny or too gory or what? What's wrong with it? The poster looks cool.

Nerd For Life
03-10-09, 15:44
Is Grace corny or too gory or what? What's wrong with it? The poster looks cool.

I second this question. :p

Lara Croft!
03-10-09, 16:06
The cover as well as the plot made us wanna watch it. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1220213/
After losing her unborn child, Madeline Matheson insists on carrying the baby to term. Following the delivery, the child miraculously returns to life with an appetite for human blood. Madeline is faced with a mother's ultimate decision

The film was neither scary, nor had an interesting plot. It was never explained how the baby got to that state or why. The whole time crazy-mom took blood from animals or people in order to feed it. There was absolutely nothing good about it. Covers can be very misleading when it comes to thriller/horror movies.
And about the gore, as I said before, it was not splattery fun. It was like spending one and a half hour in a microbiologist's office, looking at blood.

violentblossom
03-10-09, 16:09
Ahh, okay, yeah. I can TOTALLY see how those things might really make a film suck. Thanks for explaining, Lora. :D

NemesisX13X
03-10-09, 16:11
Woah, it really does suck. :p
But I still wanna watch it. :)

Lara Croft!
03-10-09, 16:23
I'm reading IMDB comments on Grace now ...

I was really looking forward to this movie. The horror site fangoria really gave this movie great reviews and even dared to say it was a great horror movie. I again really went out of my way to see this great movie which was suppose to be ground breaking horror and oh boy was this a piece of horror scifi channel trash!!! The concept was pretty good, car accident, baby dies and yet at birth the baby is alive. Sounds interesting right!!! Well thats pretty much it because after that the movie goes downhill. It goes from a still birth baby to a crying baby and then you get an hour and ten minutes of asking yourself how and why is this going on with this baby. Did I miss anything within the movie that I'm left wondering what i just saw and why is that happening. This is a movie which will leave u running in a circle and yet the ending makes things much worst and adds no closure other then expecting a sequel to try to understand this movie. Do yourself a favor if your reading this review and take my word please. Skip this movie and save yourself the time and read a book or color a picture because this movie is just that bad.

I have never taken the time to register on this site to make a comment, but i wanted to help stop anyone from wasting their time watching this movie. I think this movie may take top billing for the worst movie that i have ever seen. Crap acting, unimaginative and just boring. . it's not scary or dark or freaky. . a bit disturbing with the content, but come on, even the storyline takes away from the disturbing content because it is so poorly written . . . i do have to say that i was laughing a few times at the special effects, at times it was so obvious that she was carrying around a doll that i couldn't help but laugh. Anyway, i had to take the time to just throw this movie under the bus and hopefully it will stay there. unreal. .

what to say about a horror movie even a lesbian triangle can't save? this is the first time i sat in front of a computer right after watching a movie to make a comment about it. maybe not really a comment but more of an good samaritan act of advising an unsuspecting thriller/horror lover not to waste his/her time on this garbage.

all the time while watching this i couldn't help myself thinking wtf?? and not in a good, what's gonna happen next, way, rather in - i could of used this time to vacuum my apartment way. i can't really blame the acting... as it's more than OK. nor can i blame the director as he probably made the most he could based on the script. the music/sound? no. it's the story. someone made a comment that every horror movie these days could be summed up to about a half and hour short movie. this one can, and is, summed up perfectly in the short summary on it's IMDb page. if you've read it, you've seen the movie. and saved yourself an hour and a half for studying the sex life of a floor board. waay more interesting of a subject.

Saw this at Sundance and was found myself extremely disappointed. The Director kept trying to make it into some deep meaningful film about the love between a mother and child. The reality is that you have seen this same type of movie every year around halloween on lifetime. The director kept saying it was not about the visceral and proceed to show more blood than a slaughter yard. Even went so far as to plant people in the audience with testimonials about what a touching and moving movie this was and how men where fainting just from watching.

Go ahead and watch it! People have been creating accounts for the 1st time, just to prevent people from watching. LOL!

tonyme
03-10-09, 16:27
^ You're talking about Grace, right?

Lara Croft!
03-10-09, 16:31
Yes. Awful stuff.:D

Azerutan
03-10-09, 16:41
Oh man. When I saw it I thought it was just another zombie flick, and zombies don't scare me at all, I think they're stupid. But then the final scene arrived..... I was genuinely terrified. :(
Encore, are you Portuguese?

One of the reasons why Rec scared me (believe me, very few movies can actually "scare" me) is that I could see myself in that apartment - it looks so much with one I've been once! Honestly, the scene where people are down there in the beginning is so realistic and then that fireman falls out of nowhere. That scared crap of me - it wasn't the blood, the zombies or the creepy bites, but the regular situation people are in and I could perfectly see myself in there. Probably because it was a Spanish movie, I could relate more with it.

Now, the end is probably one the freakiest I've ever seen in a movie. I kinda pity the girl (who was Portuguese - we're possessed according to Vatican), but at the same time it was simply petrying to see her - it was a mix of feelings, I wouldn't say I was scaried, but if I was there in the movie, I would pee on my pants that's for sure :p

Good movie!

If you're a fan of this first-person camera type of movie such as "Rec" and "BlairWitch" (which is boooooooring...), watch the Japanese "Noroi" ;) So realistic, the cheesy-ness of Japanese culture could function as a comic relief in the movie, but fits perfectly and the story is simply envolving. Take a look :) It's not scary for me, but very interesting :)

American gore movie are laughable. All of them. There was none I thought to myself "this **** is good". Honestly, I couldn't care less for the people who die in those movies. Sorry gore fans.

Legend 4ever
03-10-09, 21:20
Grace was boring. Not scary, not even interesting, just plain dull.

*richietrent*
03-10-09, 21:35
I haven't seen Grace.. but anyone see The Strangers?!

ECB
03-10-09, 22:37
The Last House on the Left (remake)

It's so realistic! It could happen to anyone.

tonyme
03-10-09, 22:51
^ Haven't seen this one either...

Jo269976
03-10-09, 22:51
The Last House on the Left (remake)

It's so realistic!

The microwave scene isn't.

Nerd For Life
03-10-09, 22:53

Refresh my memory... what scene? :confused:

Catracoth
03-10-09, 22:54
The Strangers. Lord have mercy, aside from The Exorcism of Emily Rose, it was the only horror film to actually make me scream several times and jump so high.

Jo269976
03-10-09, 22:55
Refresh my memory... what scene? :confused:

The hero(?) catches Krug and ties him to a bench, with a microwave open in and his head in it, he turns it on and in a few seconds the head explodes into a million pieces.

Highlight.

Nerd For Life
03-10-09, 22:56
Highlight.

Ah yes... I remember now! Thanks bb. That scene was pathetic, lmao.

Jo269976
03-10-09, 22:57
Ah yes... I remember now! Thanks bb. That scene was pathetic, lmao.

No problem :tmb:

Yeah, the movie was brilliant up to that point, it totally killed the mood the last hour and a half had created for me.

xXhayleyroxXx
03-10-09, 23:20
This was the scariest horror movie for me too. :tmb:

Along with Drag Me To Hell.

A few other good scary movies were Shutter, The Messengers and The Grudge. After I watch these movies once, they aren't that scary anymore, because you know what to expect. :(

lol the crow scared me in the messengers :ton:

Azerutan
03-10-09, 23:48
Nobody will convince me The Grudge, specially the American remakes, is scary.

LaraLuvrrr
04-10-09, 00:08
I don't find movies about ghosts or possession scary for some reason.... but deranged murderers scare me lol

Lara Croft!
04-10-09, 00:09
The last house on the left wasn't scary. The rape scene was shown more than needed and there wasn't adequate catharsis at the end imo.

Encore
04-10-09, 00:18
Nobody will convince me The Grudge, specially the American remakes, is scary.

Nobody's trying to convince you, you're not that important. :p

Azerutan
04-10-09, 00:30
Nobody's trying to convince you, you're not that important. :p

:vlol: That was a good one!

What I was trying to say: the 1st Ju-on: The Curse is perfect, the rest of the franchise doesn't live up the hype for me. Probably because I was so impressed by the "amateur" quality of the 1st Ju-on (yes, I like "amateurish" movies), that the American remakes seem to "plastic" - with a lack of a better metaphor. Even Ju-on: The Grudge didn't move me (actually I hated it), not to mention the sequel...

hehehe :D

SpaceChild
04-10-09, 02:40
I have to agree completely with what others have said about "Grace" - I rented that turd a couple weeks ago 'cause the cover looked creepy and the vid store New Releases rack was dismal, and... It was like watching someone's flunking film school project. Yes, "dull" is too exciting a word to attach to it... Mind-numbingly. Do not rent unless you really love burning up your money and time for no good reason. It's depressing just thinking about it.

-> I was surprised by Silent Hill - I usually don't expect much from flicks based on video games, but that was just harrowing. The acting and production design were what carried it, and that anvil-head demon was truly, shockingly scary.

-> It's no surprise that The Others is mentioned here constantly, despite its not having a big marketing campaign when it came out. It's a masterpiece of screenwriting - just a great story - which is something almost impossible to find in Hollyweird any more.

-> John Carpenter's Prince Of Darkness looks really dated, but it's still one of the most relentlessly scary movies I've ever seen. I saw it at the cinema on its opening weekend, and there's a shock near the end that made the entire theater audience just shout out loud, involuntarily - something I've never experienced before or since.

-> Carpenter's The Thing is a classic. It's mondo-gory but the story and dialog are perfect - you can almost taste the mistrust among those guys just fester and ratchet upward with every passing minute.

-> I Am Legend. Whoa. Will Smith is like Midas - everything he touches turns to gold. I generally hate zombie flicks, but this one is like poetry - something you have to watch no matter how many times you've seen it before. Again, a great story, a character you care about deeply, and those scenes of Smith tearing around Manhattan hunting deer on the streets are priceless. The zombies' mindless, animalistic malice is palpable in this.

-> The Mothman Prophecies was sublimely creepy - really unsettling 'cause it's based on a true story. I love stories that present something inexplicable that slowly unfolds in twists and turns and packs an emotional wallop at the end, and this is one of them.

-> Mary Shelley's Frankenstein was a great remake - maybe more generally horrifying than scary though. Kenneth Branagh is also Midas - the guy is incapable of making a bad film.

-> Darkness with Anna Paquin and Lena Olin is a very cool sleeper film. It takes place in Spain, the script doesn't take its audience for fools, and it had me completely wigged out even though I watched it on a sunny morning.

There are probably a bunch that I'm forgetting, but this is long enough already - sorreee...

tranniversary119
04-10-09, 02:45
The Descent- I saw this in theaters and wasn't expecting it to be that scary. It was intense and made me jump like a billion times.
The Others-Very freaky stuff right here! I remember seeing this when I was younger.
The Sixth Sense-Good Lord, I still have nightmares from this movie.
Signs-Sort of scary, at times.
The Exorcist- Need I explain?

SpaceChild
04-10-09, 02:53
'Knew I'd forget something...

From Hell, the 2001 retelling of the Jack the Ripper story. The visual impact of this is incredible, really a well-done adaptation of a graphic novel, the tension is relentless, and the cast is phenomenal: Johnny Depp, Heather Graham, Bilbo and Hagrid! :D

violentblossom
04-10-09, 03:12
-> The Mothman Prophecies was sublimely creepy - really unsettling 'cause it's based on a true story. I love stories that present something inexplicable that slowly unfolds in twists and turns and packs an emotional wallop at the end, and this is one of them.

I forgot about this one! :tmb: I love the very scary little things that the film makers threw in sneakily. If you don't pay attention, you won't watch them. It's something that makes the film all the more worth watching.

Pay close attention to mirrors, for example. ;)

ozzman
04-10-09, 03:20
Halloween The Curse of Michael Myers (PT6)

A Nightmare on Elm Street

day of the dead

silent hill

friday the 13th PTs 1-4

Pet Sematary

Hellraiser

ECB
04-10-09, 03:45

Okay... it was a little out there. Yes, but it was realistic other than that! :p

tonyme
04-10-09, 15:45
Forgot THIS: :eek:

http://www.universoking.com/immagini_film/secretwindow00.jpg

Azerutan
04-10-09, 15:46
People here confuse thrillers and suspense with horror movies...

Encore
04-10-09, 15:48

Exactly what I was thinking. I saw a lot of great thrillers but none of them took my sleep away at night. :p

tonyme
04-10-09, 15:49

Yes I know "The Others", "Secret Window" and other movies mentioned here are considered as psychological thrillers rather than horror ;)

Paperdoll
04-10-09, 16:04
:vlol: That was a good one!

What I was trying to say: the 1st Ju-on: The Curse is perfect, the rest of the franchise doesn't live up the hype for me. Probably because I was so impressed by the "amateur" quality of the 1st Ju-on (yes, I like "amateurish" movies), that the American remakes seem to "plastic" - with a lack of a better metaphor. Even Ju-on: The Grudge didn't move me (actually I hated it), not to mention the sequel...

hehehe :D

D: heresy!

Actually I'm with Encore in saying that this was the only movie to make me stay up at night... for realz :pi: All in all because the first time I watched it I was only exposed to your average run of Hollywood horror, so it was quite the intense experience. Although I can't say the same from Ju-On: The Grudge 2... it has its moments some are lolwut? And apparently the new ones Shiroi Rojo and Kuroi Shojo seems to have as many silly moments... and Ju-On: The Curse 2 D: now that was terrible.

The first two, so to speak, are my favourites... I feel they compliment each other well although, and this is true, the more the franchise advances and the bigger the budget gets, the worse the movies are. And that's why, for me, the creepiest one is still Takashi Shimizu's short film Katasumi.

As far as actually scary movies... I can't point any movie that actually had an impact on me as the one above.

If you're a fan of this first-person camera type of movie such as "Rec" and "BlairWitch" (which is boooooooring...), watch the Japanese "Noroi" ;) So realistic, the cheesy-ness of Japanese culture could function as a comic relief in the movie, but fits perfectly and the story is simply envolving. Take a look :) It's not scary for me, but very interesting :)

Good choice. It's a bit slow moving and it can obviously drive away your average horror fan but I got hella rewarded when that night vision shot came in...it was totally worth it :D Would've liked to see it a bit more developed but it was eerily well done. Kinda stems from that natural curiosity some have to see "real ghost videos" etc... but yeah, quite liked it.

Shark_Blade
04-10-09, 16:05
Ju-on 2

Azerutan
04-10-09, 16:27
And that's why, for me, the creepiest one is still Takashi Shimizu's short film Katasumi.
Who knows "Katasumi"??? :D I'm so proud of my fellow Portuguese "garls" :p

I saw recently this movie: "Haunted Apartments" - initially I though it would be a very average J-horror movie, but as the story evolves, you just want more, more and more. There's just a sarcasm in the movie that I like. But, let me tell you, the ending of this movie is AWESOME! One of the best I've ever seen, you're sooo not expecting that and it explains so many things. Just brilliant. Take a look ;)

I saw "Shutter" being mentionned here. That's another one I liked. It's so clever and the ending is sooo UNEXPECTED. Who would have thought that??? The first time I watch it, I was in shock. Thai horror movies proved me wrong with this one.

My favourite until this day still is "Dark Water". It's not scary, even though you could label it as "horror", but what I liked in this movie was how the story involved you. That's my problem with movies such as "Ringu", "Ju-on" or "One Missed Call" - those movies, apart from their obvious differences, are all about several characters being killed and the emphasis of the plotline is in their deaths. Honestly, from the moment I don't care for those characters, I don't feel scared. They're just there to be killed, that's all. "Dark Water" takes things further and the only death in the whole movie is heart-breaking because the characters are so developed and you truly care for them and you want them to be safe. There's just an amazing metaphor in the last death scene where the universal relantionship between a mother and a daughter is put to its highest grace, culminating in an ultimate sacrifice that will move you away.

At the end of the day, I liked Dark Water as a good drama movie and not as a horror. Only the original version OBVIOUSLY.

WCookie
04-10-09, 16:40
I loved the ''Drag Me To Hell'' Ending, I was and wasn't expecting it >_>
I am not really into movies, but IMO, the scariest movies I ever saw were:

The Blob

Drag Me To Hell

and

Saw I

:B

xMiSsCrOfTx
04-10-09, 17:06
Quarantine and The Ring movies.

Aphrodite22
04-10-09, 17:29
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre! (the remake) :yik:

Paperdoll
04-10-09, 18:30
Who knows "Katasumi"??? :D I'm so proud of my fellow Portuguese "garls" :p

I saw recently this movie: "Haunted Apartments" - initially I though it would be a very average J-horror movie, but as the story evolves, you just want more, more and more. There's just a sarcasm in the movie that I like. But, let me tell you, the ending of this movie is AWESOME! One of the best I've ever seen, you're sooo not expecting that and it explains so many things. Just brilliant. Take a look ;)

I saw "Shutter" being mentionned here. That's another one I liked. It's so clever and the ending is sooo UNEXPECTED. Who would have thought that??? The first time I watch it, I was in shock. Thai horror movies proved me wrong with this one.

My favourite until this day still is "Dark Water". It's not scary, even though you could label it as "horror", but what I liked in this movie was how the story involved you. That's my problem with movies such as "Ringu", "Ju-on" or "One Missed Call" - those movies, apart from their obvious differences, are all about several characters being killed and the emphasis of the plotline is in their deaths. Honestly, from the moment I don't care for those characters, I don't feel scared. They're just there to be killed, that's all. "Dark Water" takes things further and the only death in the whole movie is heart-breaking because the characters are so developed and you truly care for them and you want them to be safe. There's just an amazing metaphor in the last death scene where the universal relantionship between a mother and a daughter is put to its highest grace, culminating in an ultimate sacrifice that will move you away.

At the end of the day, I liked Dark Water as a good drama movie and not as a horror. Only the original version OBVIOUSLY.

Oooh I'm definitely checking out Haunted Apartments. Nowadays I always have some reservations against watching new movies since the j-horror scene seems to be very saturated.

I loved Shutter. It has its flaws but it's the perfect ghost popcorn movie for me. It's hella entertaining and when I first watched it I was having back problems, so you can imagine my reaction XD I always try to show it to everyone I can, and they always love it. The remake is horrid, it kills the story in such a way... gah...

Recently I watched Alone as well, can't remember quite well but I think it's also Thai. Although lacking in the horror department and relying on cheap thrills, it had a nice and interesting story about conjoined twins.

I feel about Dark Water exactly like how you described. I have a very strong relationship with my mother so that ending for me... and all of the characters were quite likeable so it was very heartbreaking. Although my fav is still a Tale of Two Sisters :D

Ju-On I like for the simplicity, The Ring... I have yet to watch the movie fully, but I loved the book, it works so well outside the horror genre and into a against the clock kind of thrilller... and One Missed Call is pretty much a cash-in, although some call it a parody of the genre.

Homg I love discussing this :D

Thorir
04-10-09, 18:41
Unfortunately, I have nerves of steel and never get scared from movies. :(

But the scariest I've seen are Noroi and Wolf Creek. The Decent is a good thriller, but not scary. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) was pretty freaky.
[REC] had the scariest creature ever seen on film and was pretty awesome. :D

J-horror Kairo was really unsetteling and I felt depressed for days after watching it. Not scary, but had a huge emotional impact.

WCookie
04-10-09, 19:31
Aww now I remember another film who made me vomit (really)

Mirrors, the batthub scene, I completely vomited myself when seeing it, and I have fear of mirrors.

Mystery-King
04-10-09, 19:46
Aww now I remember another film who made me vomit (really)

Mirrors, the batthub scene, I completely vomited myself when seeing it, and I have fear of mirrors.

MIRRORS WAS AEWSOME!!! :jmp: It had such a good plot. I'm such a sucker though for a goold ol' ventriolquist dummy / puppet horror movie myself. Except Childs Play. Thats just stupid. The only reason it got an 18 rating was because of the excessive swearing.

Encore
04-10-09, 19:49
I loved Dark Water and Shutter as well (the originals of course) :tmb: Shutter was a strange experience because I felt really sad for the girl. I normally am too scared of this asian ghosts to create empathy with them :p but it happened in Shutter.

Actually, Kairo is my favourite asian horror but I didn't mention it before because it's not really scary per se. It is, thought, extremely depressing. I think the scariest part about it is the idea of death that it presents. Eternal loneliness?!?!?! No thanks. :(

Kelly Craftman
04-10-09, 19:55
i found the Hunting in Connecticut scary while being in the dark ;)

SpaceChild
04-10-09, 20:16

Another one I forgot! I saw the American remake with the locale switched to Tokyo - 'haven't been able to find the Thai original, but I will.

Another example of a really well-done story, which is the deciding factor in any flick. It's like starting with good beef for a hamburger - if you don't have quality at the core, nothing you add on top will make it any better. "Shutter" had an excellent script, direction and acting too. I loved that the theme was basically the same as the theme of Miller's "Sin City": "Woe unto the worm who mistreats women." "Shutter" is one of the best supernatural revenge flicks I've ever seen.

Hermina94
04-10-09, 22:07
Here are some of the movies that scared me a lot. And I'm not a person who scares easily when it comes to films.

What Lies Beneath

Vm4Fw2QElA4
The Others (one or two moments I was startled)

Vu494-Dr5po

I love those movies ^^
Uhm,well Silent Hill or House on Haunted Hill are my favorites :p

Bumio
04-10-09, 22:14
"The others"
"It"
"Shining"
"Titanic"

:rolleyes:

Azerutan
04-10-09, 22:22
Another one I forgot! I saw the American remake with the locale switched to Tokyo - 'haven't been able to find the Thai original, but I will.

Another example of a really well-done story, which is the deciding factor in any flick. It's like starting with good beef for a hamburger - if you don't have quality at the core, nothing you add on top will make it any better. "Shutter" had an excellent script, direction and acting too. I loved that the theme was basically the same as the theme of Miller's "Sin City": "Woe unto the worm who mistreats women." "Shutter" is one of the best supernatural revenge flicks I've ever seen.
What I'm going to say now is of EXTREME IMPORTANCE: forget the remake and go to see the original Thai one NOW! ;)
There's a mile of difference between the quality of the two.

voltz
04-10-09, 23:08
I just picked up Phantasm a week ago and still have to get around to watching it. It was pretty freaky to see a flying marble thrust spikes into a guy's head and drill out the contents.

Also the shining really tops it for me.

Rmn6FRgYwBQ

Joely-Moley
04-10-09, 23:11
This is going to sound pathetic, but 'The Haunted Mansion' scared the crap out of me.
I watched it with my girlfriend's little cousins when I was babysitting once. They were completely fine and I was terrified. :o

egypt_gypsie
05-10-09, 02:03
Movies that scare me:

Secret Window (a thriller, but w/e)
Jaws
Nightmare On Elm Street (the first one is the best)
The Butterfly Effect (the kid burning the dog really creeped me out)
30 Days Of Night
Queen Of The Damned (Lestat = *drool*)
Twister
Saw (only the first one)
Sleepy Hollow
Rosemary's Baby (though the book is much better)
Rose Red
It
Halloween
Lake Placid
Interview With The Vampire (I can't stand Tom Cruise's Lestat though)
Joy Ride
Gothika
Children Of The Corn
Mirrors
Shutter
Chucky
The Unborn
Poltergeist
The Thing
Carrie
Candy Man
The Amittyville Horror (new & old)
The Exorcist
The Exorcism Of Emily Rose
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Blair Witch Project
The Final Destination
Cloverfield
Ghost Ship

Movies that used to scare me:

Scream
Anaconda
Tremors
House On Haunted Hill
Eight Legged Freaks
Thir13en Ghosts

Movies that never scared me at all:

Any that I didn't list.

aileenwuornos
05-10-09, 03:57

Well, actually none of those are just fake blood & guts for the sake of it. They're ****ing scary because they're about serial killers and the darkest depths of violence, lust for power, domination and control.

Back in the day, they might have been considered horror movies, or at the very least, thrillers :) Modern films are about shock value, visual overload. They're starting to shift back to psychological terror, our more primal fears. :)

As for me, Suspiria still creeps me out and believe it or not Event Horizon. Creepiest scene in a horror movie I have ever seen: Nosferatu (1922). When Count Orlock rises out of the coffin in the ship's cargo hold....*shudders*

Oh man, Dario Argento = love, except for the Mother of Tears, that was ****e. Tenabre and Suspiria are the best by far. He has such a beautiful cinematic style. I love all the art deco in Suspiria especially!

Nosferatu can be quite terrifying to small kids :p

Oh man, that movie did scare the **** out of me as well, I love a good zombie flick.

Hellraiser though, I think, in hindsight is actually the best horror movie all time. Pinhead gives me little chills down my spine...

We'll tear your soul apart.

is one of the best lines in a horror movie oooh man.

Lara Croft!
05-10-09, 14:55

Indeed. In Greece, when we refer to horror movies we always say "thrillers". It's so annoying! I'm teaching each and every one of my students the difference. :D

Squibbly
05-10-09, 15:19
Horror movies never really scare me. I'm still waiting for one to. Most are just silly.
I've never seen the original asian horros there are a lot of remakes after, though, which I hear are quite scary.

I liked The Others, even though that's more of a Mystery/Thriller/Horrr mix.

Wait... someone said Titanic. What? lol

Mystery-King
05-10-09, 15:39
Horror movies never really scare me. I'm still waiting for one to. Most are just silly.
I've never seen the original asian horros there are a lot of remakes after, though, which I hear are quite scary.

I liked The Others, even though that's more of a Mystery/Thriller/Horrr mix.

Wait... someone said Titanic. What? lol

Well titanics scary-ish because 99.9999% of its true. I'm also waiting for a horror movie that will truly scare me. In fact scare me so much I won't ever sleep again with the light off!

Squibbly
05-10-09, 15:43
^ The part about the ship sinking was true. But that only happens at the end. :p

TRhalloween
05-10-09, 15:44
99.9999%

Huh? But Jack and Rose are fictional :p

igonge
05-10-09, 15:49
I'm watching Halloween (original) and I am scared! LOL

Mystery-King
05-10-09, 16:20
Huh? But Jack and Rose are fictional :p

Yeah. Thats the missing 0.0001%

Lara Croft!
07-10-09, 20:55
Τitanic scary? Given it's a true story, the feeling of the people that were there was terror, alright. The movie itself though is a melodramatic love story.

PandaINC
07-10-09, 20:56
Have any of you heard of that new movie Paranormal Activity? People have been saying its one of the scariest movies of all time. I really want to see it.

AmericanAssassin
07-10-09, 20:58
The Strangers was pretty scary (and Liv Tyler was stunning). :tmb: Other than that, modern horror movies don't scare me...

da tomb raider!
07-10-09, 21:03
To be perfectly honest, I really don't get scared by horror films anymore. I suppose I still find Alien a little scary, but even that doesn't quite do it anymore. After all, baby Alien is the cutest, looking at the rest of the crew with his little arms at his side (even if they are covered in blood). :D

Yeah. Thats the missing 0.0001%

But the vast majority of the story revolves around Jack and Rose. :p

xXhayleyroxXx
07-10-09, 21:04
Τitanic scary? Given it's a true story, the feeling of the people that were there was terror, alright. The movie itself though is a melodramatic love story.

the fans scare me :ton: honestly, i have to cover my eyes coz i have a phobia of them.

January_Snow*
07-10-09, 21:13
Japanese Ring series...the creepiest thing ever...

VonCroy360
07-10-09, 21:23

I loved that film. Well, love might not be the best word as I was deeply disturbed by it. That rolling golf ball scene has to be one of the most tense and terrifying things I've ever seen in a film.
I haven't seen the remake, but I don't really want to either; I doubt it could be better than the original.

As for the horror movies, the original Dark Water has to be my favourite. It doesn't freak me out now as much as it did the first time, but it's still an incredible, tense film. :tmb:

HappyShannon
07-10-09, 21:25
The scariest movie I've ever watched (or what terrified me most at the time)...

Nightmare on elm street! :eek:

I was 9 or 10 when I watched that... It was late one night, I was in my bedroom, alone, the lights off, watching it on the internet...

And I wouldn't sleep in my own room for three months... :o I shared my brothers room and he was kind enough not to kick me out of there after a quarter of the year!

The scariest film I recently watched was Last House On The Left.
It didn't necessarily scare me too much, but some of the content in it I didn't expect... :whi:

Mystery-King
07-10-09, 21:31
The scariest film I recently watched was Last House On The Left.
It didn't necessarily scare me too much, but some of the content in it I didn't expect... :whi:

Tell me about it! LOL. My mum saw the trailer for it on TV and said 'I must get that movie when it comes out. It looks like a good detective movie we can watch together as a family.' When I told her what was in it she was like... :yik:

Oh, BTW Nightmare on Elm Street was hardly scary. It was good but kinda lame.

Azerutan
07-10-09, 21:32
I love when people say "horror movies don't scare me at all" - I bet you barely watched "horror movies" in their true sense at all.

The first so called horror movie I watch was indeed Nightmare on Elm Street in 1990 - sorry to the fans, but the movie is hilarious :vlol:

Lara Croft!
10-10-09, 13:47
^^Amazing? Isn't it? I watched them all 2 years ago (some were so old, that I could only rent them in VHS)

tranniversary119
10-10-09, 14:49
Also, horror movies are far more scarier in the theatres. I'm pretty sure watching it at home with a remote takes away the scaryness.

Jo269976
10-10-09, 15:21
The first so called horror movie I watch was indeed Nightmare on Elm Street in 1990 - sorry to the fans, but the movie is hilarious :vlol:

Child murdering, molesters are hilarious? :confused:

Nerd For Life
10-10-09, 15:33
I love when people say "horror movies don't scare me at all" - I bet you barely watched "horror movies" in their true sense at all.

Care to enlighten us what is a horror movie then?

Paddy
10-10-09, 15:41

Nightmare on Elm Street used to be scary back when I was younger when it first came out, but now its just crap.
Supernatural movies also dont scare me, horror movies based on real life events now they scare me the most.

Azerutan
10-10-09, 16:04
Nightmare on Elm Street used to be scary back when I was younger when it first came out, but now its just crap.
Supernatural movies also dont scare me, horror movies based on real life events now they scare me the most.
I agree ;)

For me, "the scary factor" is mesured on the level I feel connected with the situation, the "if I ever was to be in that situation" issue, something I can relate to and that can actually happen so to say.

corey01
10-10-09, 17:37
I KNOW RIGHT! gah freakyyy :yik:
So is it's sequel, 28 Weeks Later. :tmb:

I love that filmm

matrix54
10-10-09, 18:54
"It"... *shivers*

Encore
10-10-09, 18:59
I agree ;)

For me, "the scary factor" is mesured on the level I feel connected with the situation, the "if I ever was to be in that situation" issue, something I can relate to and that can actually happen so to say.

This is why films with the handheld camera point of view are so scary to me. I understand to a lot of people Blair Witch Project is a load of crap because you never get to see anything, yet that movie was so realistic (mostly because of that) and it really got to me because I could totally picture myself in the same situation. Also, the actors delivered true emotions on screen, that helped. I think an horror movie can suck if the actors suck at showing fear.

Lara's Nemesis
10-10-09, 19:33
If you are a fan of real life situation horror I would recommend Eden Lake. Well worth a watch if you haven't already seen it, pretty bleak tho.

aSdPZB6d_VY

Anne Boleyn
10-10-09, 22:32
A VERY under-rated horror is The Exorcist III. It really is hampered by its title, which is a shame because it has nothing to do with the disastrous 'The Heretic' and is in fact based on a novelised spin-off (titled Legion) to The Exorcist written by William Peter Blatter, who also directs the movie.

The film is not without its faults - for one, the tacked on 'exorcism scene' demanded by the studio, which is nowhere to be found in the VERY scary novel. Nevertheless, the film contains what is, to my mind, one of the scariest and more unexpected scenes in cinema history. Those who have seen it will know instantly the one I mean...

Candee Sparks
10-10-09, 22:42
High School Musical. *shudders*

Encore
10-10-09, 23:15
A VERY under-rated horror is The Exorcist III. It really is hampered by its title, which is a shame because it has nothing to do with the disastrous 'The Heretic' and is in fact based on a novelised spin-off (titled Legion) to The Exorcist written by William Peter Blatter, who also directs the movie.

The film is not without its faults - for one, the tacked on 'exorcism scene' demanded by the studio, which is nowhere to be found in the VERY scary novel. Nevertheless, the film contains what is, to my mind, one of the scariest and more unexpected scenes in cinema history. Those who have seen it will know instantly the one I mean...

Yep, I admit that I never even bothered to watch it because of Exorcist II. I'm very sceptic about it. The idea of the first movie was to present a demonic possession in a realistic scenario, it was very simple and I find it hard to believe that any sequel can compete with that winning formula.

TombRaiderLover
10-10-09, 23:21

Legion was indeed a great film. Very eerie and atmospheric. Hopefully they'll recover the lost footage and restore a director's cut for release on Blu-ray. The original film is re-released on Blu-ray next year, and Warner Bros. implied there'll be deleted footage included, so possibly there's a chance the third will receive similar treatment.

I've not seen Heretic in a long time, but I certainly remember considering it incoherent and generally sleep-inducing. Still, the music and cinematography were brilliant, so perhaps I'll re-evaluate it eventually. I'm fond of odd films now, so maybe I'll overlook the all-over-the-place storyline. :p

Oh, and as for scariest horror film, this will sound cliche, but The Exorcist sill takes the cake for me. Great build-up, and the flashes of Pazuzu still creep me out. Cannibal Holocaust has haunting music, and is so horrific in its violence that it carries a sense of dread throughout. Fans of documentary-style horror cinema will enjoy this. The original theatrical trailer for Alien never fails to unsettle me, either.

Carbonek_0051
10-10-09, 23:32
Paranormal Activity (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=159530)