PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Level Tournament - Least favourite level of TRL

Mytly
02-10-09, 18:21
The Least Favourite Level Tournament enters its seventh round. The idea is simple: Vote for the level you like LEAST in Legend. Remember, the level does not necessarily have to be a bad level, just the one that you think was the least interesting one in the game. It could still be a very good level, just not as good as the others.

If you don't think any level is your least favourite, then you don't have to abstain from voting - you can pick "Abstain/Other" instead. You can state your reasons for doing so in a post. The same applies whether you think none of the levels are your least favourite, or all of them are. ;)

Now that we are entering the most controversial territory, this disclaimer is more important than ever: Please remember, this is a subjective poll. It is not a survey of what does and doesn't make a good level. It does not claim to be the final word on Legend levels, or on anything else. It's just a bit of fun, and is meant to be taken in that spirit. So please try to keep the vitriol out of it. Remember, people just have different tastes, and that's all that this poll is: a list of people's opinions.

Also, please remember, this thread is not for bashing Legend, or for the age-old Core vs. Crystal war. We have a zillion threads on the latter topic already, and no doubt there'll be zillions more. Let's try to stay away from that topic here.

The poll will remain open for 4 days, or as long as it takes for a clear winner (loser) to emerge. :D

Previous Winners:

TR1 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=158154) - Natla's Mines
TR2 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=158389) - Home Sweet Home
TR3 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=158580) - Caves of Kaliya
TR4 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=158747) - The Mastabas
TR5 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=158918) - Deepsea Dive

The AoD poll (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=159086) still remains nearly tied, so I have set up an additional run-off poll (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=159311). Go vote and break the tie. :D

]{eith
02-10-09, 18:26
Hard to choose. I dislike them all really. England has redeeming factors to it so that saves it. In the end, I went for Bolivia Redux since it's essentially just a boss battle in a previously explored area. I'm sure it was meant to add some closure to the plot but gameplay wise it was the biggest chore of them all. Nepal came close considering how lacking it was but atleast it offered a new puzzle or two and looked pretty.

Alex Fly
02-10-09, 18:30
Bolivia Redux - The Looking Glass.

All the levels were fantastic excepted this one because Lara returns simply on a location she has already been to, and it's principally a big boss battle. :wve:

Super Badnik
02-10-09, 18:30
Their all pretty linear, but i chose Redux, since it's just a couple of battles.

Cloe Christina
02-10-09, 18:34
Bolivia Redux - The Looking Glass.

All the levels were fantastic excepted this one because Lara returns simply on a location she has already been to, and it's principally a big boss battle. :wve:

Their all pretty linear, but i chose Redux, since it's just a couple of battles.

yeah i agree ....
i didn't like how it ended ... i thought there was gonna be more but she monkey climbed the rope and that was it .....

Cristina
02-10-09, 18:35
I loved every single level,so i will pick Bolivia redux to be smaller level :)

ThatNorskChick
02-10-09, 18:39
Awl of dem, Legend iz teh sux! I mean, I vote for Bolivia Redux too. A short boss with a 345342345 minute cutscene. I remember standing up and saying "that's it?" then I stormed off to my room and cried for days.

EscondeR
02-10-09, 18:53
*starts clicking on all levels like a maniac... notices only one can be selected* :'-(
:D

Oh, well... *votes for Kazakhstan for crappy NG realization, glitchy moto ride and many more* If I can't choose all, I'll nail this slug at least :p

marla_biggs
02-10-09, 18:53
Oh my goodness child, tough choice! Unfortunately, I think worst would be Bolivia Redux just cus it's the shortest and doesn't offer anything else besides the boss fight - which I don't particularly enjoy. The rest of the game though is GREAT :)

LegendLost
02-10-09, 18:54
England by far for me. I don't know why but I just found the entire level irritating, boring visually, and the dragon things were just ridiculously lame.
And as for no one liking Bolivia Redux, I kinda agree, but Id rather replay that level before touching England. Atleast it's short, and the fmv's were mildly entertaining. lol.

hera7days
02-10-09, 19:03
Easy- Bolivia Redux. Every level had something I really thought was cool, except the two Bolivia levels, and at least of those two, Bolivia had more variety. So, Bolivia Redux.

Seth94
02-10-09, 19:13
Bolivia Redux.

Mytly
02-10-09, 19:14
Lot's of bad feelings for Bolivia Redux, I see. I agree that it was a very short level, in an area that we already visited, so that does make it pretty boring. But I personally like the boss fight and the end cutscene, so I didn't vote for it.

Instead, I choose Kazakhstan, mainly because of the long, tedious, never-ending motorbike ride. Granted, there was one in Peru too, but it wasn't as long or repetitive. And neither of them was at all fun, but the Kazakhstan one, by repeating the least fun gameplay element of the game, is undoubtedly the worst. :hea:

Even apart from this, I don't find Kazakhstan all that interesting, and I generally dislike industrial style levels. :(

Phlip
02-10-09, 19:15
^My reasons and vote are the same.

]{eith
02-10-09, 19:24
Kazakhstan is pretty awful too. The "puzzles" are lame, the environment isn't interesting and it just goes on and on and on, especially with that ****ed up bike ride, what the hell was that ****?

Sorry, I have alot of negative feelings towards Legend, I'll stop picking on it now.... :o

And Ghana ****** ***** too!:mad:

ThatNorskChick
02-10-09, 19:28
Oh how could I forget about the friggin' bike! Well Kazakhstan comes in second worst for me. I did like the dead frozen guys scattered around.

Trfansince1996
02-10-09, 19:30
Bolivia Redux. For obvious reasons.

Reggie
02-10-09, 19:36
And here's where I go from being half-reluctant to vote to relishing the oppurtunity! :mis:

For me? Its Japan! I don't care that Bolivia redux is a boss level, I can excuse it because it knowingly serves its purpose as such. Japan on the other hand is totally unforgiveable. Such a deeply intriguing and historical country and they ballsed it up totally by making a skyscraper hop around with a boss at the end. Not even any puzzles or anything to really find. Just straight forward run and gunning in a cultureless evironment filled with Yakuza stereotypes and tacky, poorly-lit minimalist interiors. Oh and lets not forget the dress. Total rubbish.

peeves
02-10-09, 20:15
The whole game sucks for me so I'll pick abstain It's far too short easy and lame crappy mommy plot :mad: This game sucks ass

tonyme
02-10-09, 20:28
Bolivia Redux.

Worst boss fight ever! :rolleyes: OH NO there's Boaz! :p

da tomb raider!
02-10-09, 20:38
I'd vote for Bolivia Redux, but considering that I don't really consider that a proper level for obvious reasons (such as the fact that it's about five minutes long, is set in the exact same location as another level, and it nothing but poor combat), I voted for the next worst thing, Kazakhstan.

To start with the obvious, the motorbike sequence was, in a word, horrific. As if the terrible handling of the bike and braindead mercs weren't bad enough, the whole thing is just far too long. Moving on, the beginning of the level (outside) is far too combat-oriented, whilst the end of the level (inside) is far too generic. Strange movable platforms over green toxic gas? Great in Crash Bandicoot, but it's a bit too far-fetched for Tomb Raider, I think. The "boss" at the very end was rather frustrating, as well, namely because of the glitchy grapple. So yeah, all in all, it is one bad level in my opinion. Much like the rest of the game, I think... :p

Squibbly
02-10-09, 20:40
Japan for me. What the hell was that? :rolleyes:

Verdilet
02-10-09, 20:53
They're all pretty weak, but Bolivia Redux is probably the worst. The final boss is really annoying.

Super Badnik
02-10-09, 21:10
Why so much hate for bike part? It didn't really belong in a Tomb Raider game but it was fun.

]{eith
02-10-09, 21:16
Why so much hate for bike part? It didn't really belong in a Tomb Raider game but it was fun.

I didn't find it fun at all. It was just holding down two buttons and moving the analogue stick for too long.

da tomb raider!
02-10-09, 21:27

For me, it was because the bike was far too clunky to control properly. If I ever actually managed to die during the bike sequences, it was usually because the bike wouldn't move quickly and smoothly enough out of the way of the giant stone structure in the middle of the road. Also, it all went on for far too long. Perhaps this wouldn't be so bad normally, but given what the bike sequences are like, it's all a bit too unbearable. The A.I. was laughable at best, as well. The only way they've ever managed to kill me is driving right in front of me, killing them at the same time. And finally, worst of all, the level design was ridiculous. What are medi-kits doing on icy roads in the middle of nowhere, and why did the broken bridge in Peru have wooden ramps on it? Pretty bad stuff if you ask me. And, as you say, it doesn't belong in a Tomb Raider game, which makes matters ever worse...

Phlip
02-10-09, 21:40

The first few times for some bizarre Crash Bandicoot game with guns, yeah. But no way for Tomb Raider. Ugh. Legend is a massive failure. IMO, at least.

MMAN
02-10-09, 21:46
I'm between Japan and Nepal; Japan looks great but the gameplay is the nadir of being little more than a bad third-person shooter. Nepal is okay for what it is but ends before it goes anywhere. So Japan.

Bolivia Redux is technically my worst (when I can't section off the bike rides), but that would be too easy ;) .

No it isn't.

marla_biggs
02-10-09, 21:51
*feels the legend love*

]{eith
02-10-09, 21:52
*feels the legend love*

:vlol:

Love2Raid
02-10-09, 21:55
Bolivia Redux, for obvious reasons...

ShadyCroft
02-10-09, 21:56
Bolivia Redux for sure.

just croft
02-10-09, 21:57
Bolivia Redux

nuff said...

Ward Dragon
02-10-09, 22:19
I don't count Bolivia Redux as a proper level and it didn't really **** me off, so I didn't vote for it.

Bolivia was boring but not too aggravating. I hated the shoot-out and bike sections of Peru but liked the flashback and temple enough to not vote for it, and same goes for Kazakhstan (I like the research facility). I like Ghana, England and Nepal. I hate Japan and don't really like anything about it, so voted for that.

tacotaskforce
02-10-09, 22:32
As much as I dislike the final boss fight, I'm going to have to give it to Kazakastan for pretending (poorly) to be MGS, for another crappy motorcycle segment, and for physics puzzles that did nothing more often than properly working. I only played TRA after learning that the motorcycle segments had been wholely removed.

Johnnay
02-10-09, 22:57
Bolivia and Ghana had stunning locations and views as well as Japan,Nepal and Peru

but definitely Bolivia Redux is on the list. crap boss fight
nuff said

Rai
02-10-09, 22:57
{eith;4071230']

And Ghana ****** ***** too!:mad:

Wait, what is wrong with Ghana? I loved it. It was beautiful, had nice puzzles, traps and well, was a fairly long level by Legend standards. The only thing wrong was the awful James Rutland. But at least the fight was more strategic than just shoot away at him.

Kazakhstan was one long bore-fest for me. Far too much combat, modern factory setting (or whatever it was supposed to be) and the gawd awful overly long motorbike section.

Bolivia Redux was an unimaginative end level with an infuriating boss fight and the whiny annoying Amanda. But it was short and so over quickly and the actual cliff-hanger cutscene was promising and slightly made up for the level's shortcomings.

Johnnay
02-10-09, 23:00
Wait, what is wrong with Ghana? I loved it. It was beautiful, had nice puzzles, traps and well, was a fairly long level by Legend standards. The only thing wrong was the awful James Rutland. But at least the fight was more strategic than just shoot away at him.

Kazakhstan was one long bore-fest for me. Far too much combat, modern factory setting (or whatever it was supposed to be) and the gawd awful overly long motorbike section.

Bolivia Redux was an unimaginative end level with an infuriating boss fight and the whiny annoying Amanda. But it was short and so over quickly and the actual cliff-hanger cutscene was promising and slightly made up for the level's shortcomings.

the only crap thing about Ghana is the area when you have to move the water wheels. i hate it when you have to climb the first waterwheel to the second one( which isnt activated) errrrrrrrrgh coz when you fall to the ground you have to start all over again

]{eith
02-10-09, 23:03
Ghana had a bit of climbing, one puzzle, three dozen mercenaries, a botched boss battle and a few spikes and boulders. Of the Legend levels, it tried hard to be a TR level but unlike England it fell flat on its face with its linear path and boring gameplay. Of all Legend levels, Ghana bores me the most - it's not annoying like Bolivia Redux and Kazakhstan but it's interminably boring to me. I replayed Legend again about a week ago from start to finish and I came out of it with better feelings towards all levels bar Ghana and Bolivia Redux.

At least, Ghana is pretty though.

Johnnay
02-10-09, 23:04
{eith;4071817']Ghana had a bit of climbing, one puzzle, three dozen mercenaries, a botched boss battle and a few spikes and boulders. Of the Legend levels, it tried hard to be a TR level but unlike England it fell flat on its face with its linear path and boring gameplay. Of all Legend levels, Ghana bores me the most - it's not annoying like Bolivia Redux and Kazakhstan but it's interminably boring to me. I replayed Legend again about a week ago from start to finish and I came out of it with better feelings towards all levels bar Ghana and Bolivia Redux.

At least, Ghana is pretty though.

:) agreed keith

Larson_1988
02-10-09, 23:29
Ghana, the most overrated level in the entire Tomb Raider franchise.

That's my opinion, and i don't have to explain why.

Blackmoor
02-10-09, 23:30
My trio of crappiness (well... the whole game is rubbish but some levels excel at this more than others) includes: Japan, Khazakstan and Ghana.

Khazakstan - cheesy from start to finish and the background music gives me a head-ache. Another level with a "how did they get away with the naff-ness of it" bike level. And just generally uninspired level design inside the facility of repeating backgrounds on corridors, and no sense of genuine exploration. The boss battle I think works but it's about the only thing in the level that does.

Ghana - greeny-grey corridors 'R us. I'm not sure why people love this level, I find it boring and ugly.

Japan - Reggie sums this one up perfectly...

Japan on the other hand is totally unforgiveable. Such a deeply intriguing and historical country and they ballsed it up totally by making a skyscraper hop around with a boss at the end. Not even any puzzles or anything to really find. Just straight forward run and gunning in a cultureless evironment filled with Yakuza stereotypes and tacky, poorly-lit minimalist interiors. Oh and lets not forget the dress. Total rubbish.:tmb:

This level shows just how far the series has fallen. Compare the silly vibe that permeates the activities in Japan with the intro into the Peru caves in TR1 and I simply can't believe it's meant to be the same game. Yeah, I think Japan has to rule this one.

Spong
02-10-09, 23:47
From the range of bad smells emanating from the levels in Legend, Japan easily has the worst stench.

!Lara Croft!
03-10-09, 00:41
Bolivia Reudux _ The looking glass

It wasnt even a level, just a crappy continuation of the first.

larafan25
03-10-09, 00:51
^I'm sure f it was a continuation you would have been continuing what you were originally doing there, not just finishing it:)

I chose perue as it was pretty boring...

anyways I don't see what all the hating is on bolivia redux, I was stuck on that boss battle for a year (mind you it was my first actual intense video game aside from jak and daxter:p)

but still it was set up great, return to the spot you started which excisted inside a larger plot where lara still returns to where it FIRST started....

nepal-bolivia-bolivia-nepal....

you know, the actual sotry starts in nepal and ends in nepal, however lara starts her search in bolivia and it ends in bolivia(then underworld happens):)

Tony9595
03-10-09, 01:05
Kazakhstan, I could have easily voted for Bolivia Redux. But at least the pain in that level wasn't as long as the one in Kazakhstan :ohn:

Ward Dragon
03-10-09, 01:08
(mind you it was my first actual intense video game aside from jak and daxter:p)

I actually thought Jak and Daxter was a hell of a lot harder than anything in Legend :p (Especially the second game, but even the first one had fairly difficult parts)

YunaŽs Wish
03-10-09, 02:07
Bolivia Redux. Not a bad level, but IŽd have loved to do some tombraiding at night in Bolivia instead of appearing directly at the arena.

takamotosan
03-10-09, 04:04
Bolivia Redux, because it was a short, crappy level :wve:

herothing
03-10-09, 09:36
England - Just a very boring level for me :(

Brikas94
03-10-09, 11:40
I voted on Bolivia Redux. :wve:

XJakJakX
03-10-09, 11:43
Bolivia Redux, because it's short and I didn't like excaliber.

michaeldt
03-10-09, 12:51
Ghana

scion89
03-10-09, 18:09
Bolivia Redux - it was too short and Excalibur was to fiddly for my liking.

Mytly
03-10-09, 20:11
Since the AoD poll still remains nearly tied between Margot's Carvier's Apartment and Boaz Returns, I have set up a new run-off poll (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=159311) to break the tie. Please vote again (and vote for Boaz. :pi:)

At least, there seems to be no chance that the Legend poll is going to end in a tie. ;)

GameGlitcher77
04-10-09, 00:45
Ghana because of the traps and mercenies with explosives and the annoying boss battle with Rutland.:mad::D

WCookie
04-10-09, 01:09
Bolivia - The Looking Glass.

Even thought I love fluffy, I hate the level.

It's the same as the other, just with another thing.:mad:

seal of anubis
04-10-09, 11:02
hi, this is the first time i'm writing here :)
for me it's england. i thought the dragon fight was too irritating. i had to adjust the camera angle every time before i throw the grapple because lara were shooting to the left cage but throwing the grapple towards the right cage!!!! :cen: also, the puzzles and traps were too easy (even for legend) ,and hiding the entrance of the king arthur's tomb behind a wall which can be destroyed by a forklift?! So, that was why no one could have located the tomb there, right? :confused:

xXhayleyroxXx
04-10-09, 11:19
bolivia redux

didnt like fluffy:p

Brikas94
04-10-09, 15:24
hi, this is the first time i'm writing here :)
for me it's england. i thought the dragon fight was too irritating. i had to adjust the camera angle every time before i throw the grapple because lara were shooting to the left cage but throwing the grapple towards the right cage!!!! :cen: also, the puzzles and traps were too easy (even for legend) ,and hiding the entrance of the king arthur's tomb behind a wall which can be destroyed by a forklift?! So, that was why no one could have located the tomb there, right? :confused:

Yeah... I voted on Bolivia Redux, but I thought about England too... like you said, it's ridiculous that the tomb is located behind a wall... anyone would eventually find it...

And welcome to the forums! :hug:

Zebra
04-10-09, 16:21
Ghana.

pizzabob18
04-10-09, 16:51
Bolivia redux.

Very easy final battle that was in one of the many cliche "circle shaped arenas" that have been in the past 3 games.

Plus, I was kind of disappointed having to revisit a location I already had been in. I remember before that was announced, I was wondering what the final location would be with great anticipation.

Additionally, I was angry that we were left with a cliffhanger, and the fact that the game was already over in such a short amount of time.

Danny_Boy
05-10-09, 03:39
Bolivia redux. I hate the boss battle D:

LegendLost
05-10-09, 18:02
I think we might need another run off like the AOD section, this is gonna be a close one. ;)

Mytly
05-10-09, 19:47
^Lol. ;) This looks like it's going to be the biggest landslide victory yet. :p

]{eith
05-10-09, 19:52
I'm actually really surprised that Bolivia Redux is that far in the lead. I mean, yes, I myself voted for it, and I expected it to come out badly in this but I didn't expect it to be this much of a difference. I really thought Kazakhstan, Japan, Nepal and Ghana....okay any of the other levels really - would have given it some competition. Ha!

NightWish
05-10-09, 20:04
never really liked Kazakhstan. don't know why

LegendLost
06-10-09, 01:37
Do these need to stay open for a certain amount of days or wait for a certain total of votes or something, if not, why not just close this one(and the AOD runoff) It's clear who the winners are. lol. I'm getting anxious waiting for the Anniversary one.

Carol H
06-10-09, 10:22
I have been thinking about this a while now, going through all the levels again in my head, and keep coming to the same conclusion: All of the above. There is not a single level in Legend I really enjoyed and the whole game is a legendary failure. Pretty graphics don't count for squat when the gameplay is as god-awful as in this poor excuse of a game.

Since there was no "All of the above" option, I voted abstain.

TR_chick89
06-10-09, 16:21
I wasn't too crazy about Ghana. It's a beautiful looking level, but I just don't like it. I hate Rutland, so that's my main reason why.

rowanlim
06-10-09, 16:56
Bolivia Redux. At the end I was more blown away by Lara's dramatic speech than the entire level :pi:

Mytly
06-10-09, 19:35
Do these need to stay open for a certain amount of days or wait for a certain total of votes or something, if not, why not just close this one(and the AOD runoff) It's clear who the winners are. lol. I'm getting anxious waiting for the Anniversary one.
I generally keep these polls open for 4 days, so that even members who don't log in everyday can get a chance to vote. But of course, 4 days are up for this poll, and we have a very obvious winner: Bolivia Redux wins by nearly 50% of the votes. :eek:

And the AoD run-off also just concluded with a victory for Boaz Returns. :D

TRA poll coming up in a few minutes. :)