PDA

View Full Version : Ugly the Cat

Legend of Lara
03-10-09, 23:20
I don't know if this warrants a thread or not, but...

...this made me bawl like no tomorrow.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Tarathiel/ugly.jpg

Spong
03-10-09, 23:21
White text on a grey background? Not even a drop-shadow to make the text readable? I'm not surprised you were in tears. Probably from eye-strain.

Legend of Lara
03-10-09, 23:22
White text on a grey background? Not even a drop-shadow to make the text readable? I'm not surprised you were in tears. Probably from eye-strain.

I can read it no problem...

violentblossom
03-10-09, 23:24
Oh my goodness, that made me cry.

Poor Ugly. :hug: I would have loved the little thing.

xXhayleyroxXx
03-10-09, 23:25
omg i would love ugly :(

this is why im training in animal care - i want to rescue all the ugly's

Nerd For Life
03-10-09, 23:25
I am not gonna lie, I'm now crying like a little baby.

Tonyrobinson
03-10-09, 23:26
I'm welling up. That's affected me it makes me want to fight for animal abuse :(

Minty Mouth
03-10-09, 23:27
Is it wrong that it didn't really affect me?

It's sweet and all.......but like spongebob pointed out....outer glow next time please :p

xXhayleyroxXx
03-10-09, 23:27
I'm welling up. That's affected me it makes me want to fight for animal abuse :(

even if just one person speaks up for animal cruelty it makes a difference xxx

Tony9595
03-10-09, 23:29
Oh that was lovely, thanks for sharing it :hug:

TRfan23
omg I love cats :( Poor thing, makes me want to clean him up and cuddle him forever with xxx's :(

There's always one isn't there :p Though that did crack me up.

Legend of Lara
Is it wrong that it didn't really affect me?

It's sweet and all.......but like spongebob pointed out....outer glow next time please :p

I would like to clarify two things.

1: I didn't make the image. So it's not my fault.
2: You're not human!

JRod2208
03-10-09, 23:30
My God, that was easily the sadest animal story I have ever heard... Poor little thing... :( Nobody ever loved it...

larafan25
awwwww.....

such a sweet story:hug:

:BitterSweet:
Is this real? If it then that is really sad. It made me teary-eyed. Even if it isn't real it's still sad. :(

Tonyrobinson
I know I tried to help a 3 day old kitten which wasn't being feed this August I called it Pickles unfortunatley she died in 2 days. She wouldn't digest her food and was syringe fed :(

patriots88888
03-10-09, 23:31

I think you actually meant against animal abuse. ;)

Minty Mouth
03-10-09, 23:31
I would like to clarify two things.

1: I didn't make the image. So it's not my fault.
2: You're not human!

Haha I know (Ill let you figure out which point I was responding to)

Tonyrobinson
03-10-09, 23:33
I think you actually meant against animal abuse. ;)

:vlol:

Yes I did!

Hahaha! Can't believe I made that mistake but atleast you've pointed it out and gave me a good laugh after tearing up at the story :)

Catapharact
03-10-09, 23:34
*Rubs his forehead.*

I swear to you Niezche, you and I might be on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes our views on religion but boy oh boy do I agree with you on the idea of Social Darwinism. There are just way too many sappy idiots in this world...

Minty Mouth
03-10-09, 23:38
*Rubs his forehead.*

I swear to you Niezche, you and I might be on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes our views on religion but boy oh boy do I agree with you on the idea of Social Darwinism. There are just way too many sappy idiots in this world...

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd273/MintyMouth/WTF-1.gif

Im sorry I don't get you :p

Nerd For Life
03-10-09, 23:39
*Rubs his forehead.*

I'm sorry if the fact that someone gets emotional offends your brain.

Legend of Lara
03-10-09, 23:40
*Rubs his forehead.*

Let's not make this into one of those threads. Please.

Catapharact
03-10-09, 23:40
Im sorry I don't get you :p

Offcourse you don't.

Johnnay
03-10-09, 23:41
I cried

these ppl deserve to be punished for animal cruelty big big time

those ****ers have no life the children and the adults a cat being tormented and no care for it.

larasbestm8
03-10-09, 23:43
Poor kitty. :(

Catapharact
03-10-09, 23:45
I'm sorry if the fact that someone gets emotional offends your brain.

You get emotional because of THAT? Well then I have to say people here really need to get out more. *Sigh* nevermind. Why do I even bother... Its a total waste of time.

Simply enough, my first priority is the well being of the human race. Everything else follows next. If I have to sacrifice human shelaters so recources can be allocated to help humans instead then its exactly what I'll do.

Call me a Speciest.

violentblossom
03-10-09, 23:47
I really don't get the purpose of entering a thread to be all, "Oh so you're emotional? Emotions suck."

But that's just me.

Rai
03-10-09, 23:47
Awww, that is sooo sad. Poor Ugly and yet he was beautiful on the inside. :hug:

Catapharact
03-10-09, 23:49
But that's just me.

I don't get the purpose of the original poster getting so mad about the fact that someone pointed out a technical flaw in his/her post and then labling the person "inhuman" for doing that. Yet it was a fairly reasonable POV. So if they are entitled to do that, I am entitled to present my given view.

_Awestruck_
03-10-09, 23:51
You get emotional because of THAT? Well then I have to say people here really need to get out more. *Sigh* nevermind. Why do I even bother... Its a total waste of time.

Simply enough, my first priority is the well being of the human race. Everything else follows next. If I have to scarifice human shelaters so recources can be allocated to help humans instead then its exactly what I'll do.

Call me a Speciest.

Maybe these people, for lack of better term, have a heart. Don't be rude, if it makes them emotional then it shouldn't be any sweat off of your back. What you're doing right now, is starting an argument for virtually no reason.

Minty Mouth
03-10-09, 23:51
Offcourse you don't.

Belittle my intellect all you want, but entering a thread for the sole purpose of insulting everyone in it doesn't make you appear much more intelligent.

Legend of Lara
03-10-09, 23:52
I don't get the purpose of the original poster getting so mad about the fact that someone pointed out a technical flaw in his/her post and then labling the person "inhuman" for doing that. Yet it was a fairly reasonable POV. So if they are entitled to do that, I am entitled to present my given view.

I wasn't getting mad over the technical flaw. Said technical flaw wasn't my fault and I can't do anything about it. But whatever.
And labeling Jakey "inhuman" was sarcastic. Mostly. And I didn't even label him "inhuman" because of that.

Maybe these people, for lack of better term, have a heart. Don't be rude, if it makes them emotional then it shouldn't be any sweat off of your back. What you're doing right now, is starting an argument for virtually no reason.

This. And with that thought, let's end this little spat before it gets out of hand.

_Awestruck_
03-10-09, 23:52
belittle my intellect all you want, but entering a thread for the sole purpose of insulting everyone in it doesn't make you appear much more intelligent.

win.

violentblossom
03-10-09, 23:54

She called him "inhuman" because he said he wasn't affected, but that's neither here nor there.

You are always entitled to your opinion, I just wasn't sure if you had a purpose other than to cause a stir. :)

Carry on.

Nerd For Life
03-10-09, 23:54

Yeah, I totally need to get out more. I totally need to be a jerk to everyone online because they get emotional over animals, because humans are so much better. Thanks for the useful tips! Now I remember why I love animals so much more than humans. :)

I really don't get the purpose of entering a thread to be all, "Oh so you're emotional? Emotions suck."

But that's just me.

Belittle my intellect all you want, but entering a thread for the sole purpose of insulting everyone in it doesn't make you appear much more intelligent.

A++.

Legend of Lara
03-10-09, 23:55
She called him "inhuman" because he said he wasn't affected, but that's neither here nor there.

I, uh... I'm not a "she". :o But whatever.

violentblossom
03-10-09, 23:56
I, uh... I'm not a "she". :o But whatever.

Sorry.. :o It's the avatar, it deceives.

Catapharact
03-10-09, 23:56

Nope, that would be you making a moutain out of a mole hill.

Personal View:

The given point of the matter is the topic itself just seems so ridiculous. Either people are really desperate for a discussion or they really have nothing better to talk about. Yet people steer clear of important issues that actually have some merit of effect on a global scale like the typhoon victims in the Philppines or the Earthquake victims in Indonesia.

Speaks volumes about the priorities of the population of this forum.

But like I said, why do I even bother...

Gabi
03-10-09, 23:57
Did anyone wonder why the story teller did not do anything for Ugly before the incident with the dogs?
Obviously (s)he knew about the cat's miserable existence, yet chose to be just as indifferent as everybody else in the neighbourhood.

Legend of Lara
03-10-09, 23:57
Sorry.. :o It's the avatar, it deceives.

Not the first time that's happened. :p Maybe I should pick a male character next time...

violentblossom
03-10-09, 23:58

Well, it might make a semblance of sense if you'd stated your feelings on this in one of the many game threads about. At least there is minimal discussion here.

I'm moving on...

Is this story true?

WCookie
03-10-09, 23:59
Enough okay?

I don't like fighting threads :(

And for the main topic...

Poor ugly, people can be real *****es :mad:

Legend of Lara
03-10-09, 23:59
I'm moving on...

Is this story true?

I'll have to admit I have no idea. I'm leaning towards "not true", but...

Minty Mouth
04-10-09, 00:00
Did anyone wonder why the story teller did not do anything for Ugly before the incident with the dogs?
Obviously (s)he knew about the cat's miserable existence, yet chose to be just as indifferent as everybody else in the neighbourhood.

The way I saw it, you're right. The narrator was like everyone else. I dont think the story is supposed to be about how kind hearted the Narrator was, rather about what they came to realise later on, after helping out the cat for the first time.

Catapharact
04-10-09, 00:00

You replied, I replied back. The purpose of that given post wasn't to tease you or belittle you but to actually get you to expand your interest level on things. Seems like people here really have a knack for getting their feelings hurt ;). Actually that is an interesting premise... Going on an assumption here, it seems to me that people really have had bully problems in their lives to react with such a degree of unecessary weepiness (again not an insult.)

Nerd For Life
04-10-09, 00:01
You replied, I replied back. The purpose of that given post wasn't to tease you or belittle you but to actually get you to expand your interest level on things. Seems like people here really have a knack for getting their feelings hurt ;). Actually that is an interesting premise... Going on an assumption here, it seems to me that people really have had bully problems in their lives to react with such a degree of unecessary weepiness (again not an insult.)

Nice contradiction right there.

It may be unnecessary to you, but not for everyone else.

Catapharact
04-10-09, 00:03
Nice contradiction right there.

It may be unnecessary to you, but not for everyone else.

Should I use a more political correct term? Alright... how about we go with "emotional response" ;).

Nerd For Life
04-10-09, 00:05
Should I use a more political correct term? Alright... how about we go with "emotional response" ;).

Yeah, so? Anyone who's been bullied in the past or people who have gone through deaths in the family may have more unnecessary emotional responses, the way you put it. But I guess people need to get out more and stop being such emotional losers. ;)

LaraLuvrrr
04-10-09, 00:06
Ugly is gonna be the new pretty veryy soon

Dingaling
04-10-09, 00:06
Going on an assumption here, it seems to me that people really have had bully problems in their lives to react with such a degree of unecessary weepiness (again not an insult.)

Unfinished post - accidental post earlier, lemme finish it.

Gabi
04-10-09, 00:07
The given point of the matter is the topic itself just seems so ridiculous. Either people are really desperate for a discussion or they really have nothing better to talk about. Yet people steer clear of important issues that actually have some merit of effect on a global scale like the typhoon victims in the Philppines or the Earthquake victims in Indonesia.

Nothing ridiculous about showing compassion for an animal and being emotional about a sad story.
And one thing does not automatically exclude the other.
I can feel touched by the story about Ugly and feel sorrow and compassion about the earthquake victims at the same time.

violentblossom
04-10-09, 00:08
Cat, if our being over emotional means we were bullied, what then does it say about you that you are now the bullier?

Is that insecurity that I detect? You have to prove your manliness online and so you criticize our emotions?

Does this mean that you were martyred as a child?

Minty Mouth
04-10-09, 00:09

Oh, have no disillusions, you didn't hurt my feelings. I don't care about you that much.

I only responded the way I did (the first time) because I was a little confused (hence the - regrettable - usage of that GIF) Why is it that you dismissed my second reply then? as being "weepy"? When there was no such emotion displayed.

Perhaps my interest level does not need to be raised. Perhaps I am posting here for fun, after all, I do need to get out more.

Johnnay
04-10-09, 00:09
Cat, if our being over emotional means we were bullied, what then does it say about you that you are now the bullier?

Is that insecurity that I detect? You have to prove your manliness online and so you criticize our emotions?

Does this mean that you were martyred as a child?

I'm thinking Wahabism is in his blood

*runs*

Catapharact
04-10-09, 00:10
Yeah, so? Anyone who's been bullied in the past or people who have gone through deaths in the family may have more unnecessary emotional responses, the way you put it. But I guess people need to get out more and stop being such emotional losers. ;)

An irrelivent notion. If I were to tell you that I have lost far more people in my family to what others might deem "undeserving deaths" in the service of others, most people would just give a few min, of reflection time and then go about their own bees wax. Like I said, people here probably aren't even aware of the disaster problems that Indonesia is suffering through right now. Yet the plight of a cat means more to them for a few brief moment then the suffering of 100s of people trapped under the rubble of an earthquake.

Perplexing notion wouldn't you say ;)? Its quite amusing to watch sometimes.

TRhalloween
04-10-09, 00:10
*Rubs his forehead.*

No idea why I decided to read all of that. I must have gotten over my allergy of bull**** but you'll just have to accept the fact that -by God!- not everyone shares the same detached views as you. We've heard the same thing from you over and over :rolleyes:

Nerd For Life
04-10-09, 00:12
An irrelivent notion. If I were to tell you that I have lost far more people in my family to what others might deem "undeserving deaths" in the service of others, most people would just give a few min, of reflection time and then go about their own bees wax. Like I said, people here probably aren't even aware of the disaster problems that Indonesia is suffering through right now. Yet the plight of a cat means more to them for a few brief moment then the suffering of 100s of people trapped under the rubble of an earthquake.

Way to assume people who care about animal abuse don't give a rat's ass about the other problems in the world. Because obviously people can't care about more than one problem at once.

violentblossom
04-10-09, 00:13
Okay, and because little kids might be starving in Africa, it makes perfect sense to totally blow animal rights the **** off and just ignore the suffering of a small and defenseless creature?

Right, makes PERFECT sense. :rolleyes:

I forgot that we were all functioning on one brain cell and were only allowed to feel pity for one helpless group. Silly me.

Nerd For Life
04-10-09, 00:14
Okay, and because little kids might be starving in Africa, it makes perfect sense to totally blow animal rights the **** off and just ignore the suffering of a small and defenseless creature?

Right, makes PERFECT sense. :rolleyes:

I forgot that we were all functioning on one brain cell and were only allowed to feel pity for one helpless group. Silky me.

I know right, we're all idiots. Thank god there's someone here to remind me of that every chance he gets. :rolleyes:

Catapharact
04-10-09, 00:15
I can feel touched by the story about Ugly and feel sorrow and compassion about the earthquake victims at the same time.

There is just no relevency in that given story Gabi. I rather go to an animal shelter, rescue a given animal (knowing full well that there are gonna be 100s of others which are gonna be put down) and provide care for that creature rather then weeping over a story online after glancing at it for a few seconds.

Legend of Lara
04-10-09, 00:15

Let me refer you to Gabi's earlier post.

Nothing ridiculous about showing compassion for an animal and being emotional about a sad story.
And one thing does not automatically exclude the other.

EDIT- Well, I can see now that you already tore it to shreds. Oh, well.

Super Badnik
04-10-09, 00:17
Wow, that was so sad, i almost shed a tear. :(

TRhalloween
04-10-09, 00:18
There is just no relevency in that given story Gabi. I rather go to an animal shelter, rescue a given animal (knowing full well that there are gonna be 100s of others which are gonna be put down) and provide care for that creature rather then weeping over a story online after glancing at it for a few seconds.

How exactly does someone feeling emotional over this affect you?

tombraiderluka
04-10-09, 00:18
People why do you even bother arguing with Catapharact? In all this 12000+ posts there isn't a single one that hasn't been rude or stuck up. So save those words for something more worth :)

On Topic:Aw, reminds me of a one-eyed dog in my town, nobody likes :(

Catapharact
04-10-09, 00:19
Way to assume people who care about animal abuse don't give a rat's ass about the other problems in the world. Because obviously people can't care about more than one problem at once.

The given topic was discussed not too long ago actually. The central theme of the topic was the same thing; Animal cruelty and the like. This story isn't anything different then that. This story could have very well been posted there and I bet you no one would have cared. I would care about the plight of the given kitten IF the story itself wasn't rifed with such a sympathetic ideological twist to it.

Because really to say that one understands another suffering is non-sense. You might have an idea as to what's going on but you will never know the true extent of the pain.

Legend of Lara
04-10-09, 00:19
People why do you even bother arguing with Catapharact? In all this 12000+ posts there isn't a single one that hasn't been rude or stuck up. So save those words for something more worth :)

On Topic:Aw, reminds me of a one-eyed dog in my town, nobody likes :(

You're right. Let's all stop it before it gets even worse.

violentblossom
04-10-09, 00:20
On Topic[/B]:Aw, reminds me of a one-eyed dog in my town, nobody likes :(

Maybe you should take him to a shelter? :(

Catapharact
04-10-09, 00:22
How exactly does someone feeling emotional over this affect you?

Why did people make a big deal about people pointing out the tecnical problems in the given image? Either you choose to adhere to the topic and not insult anyone or be ready for a solid rebuttle.

tombraiderluka
Maybe you should take him to a shelter? :(
Oh no we tried, we have a group at school protecting nature and animals, even if he's ugly, he has.. i can't remember the term, well he's enraged all the time, so we tried to get pros to do it, but they haven't answered for over 3 months :(

Nerd For Life
Beecause really to say that one understands another suffering is non-sense. You might have an idea as to what's going on but you will never know the true extent of the pain.

If you say so. :)

violentblossom
Oh no we tried, we have a group at school protecting nature and animals, even if he's ugly, he has.. i can't remember the term, well he's enraged all the time, so we tried to get pros to do it, but they haven't answered for over 3 months :(

Yikes. You don't think he's rabid, do you?

Legend of Lara
04-10-09, 00:23
Why did people make a big deal about people pointing out the tecnical problems in the given image? Either you choose to adhere to the topic and not insult anyone or be ready for a solid rebuttle.

This will be my final comment about you. People didn't make a big deal about the technical problems! Two people mentioned it, I said it wasn't my fault. That is all.

tombraiderluka
04-10-09, 00:25
Yikes. You don't think he's rabid, do you?
Well our biology teacher who's in charge of our school's enviroment community says he is, there's foam on this mouth sometimes. I haven't seen the dog since a moith ago, though. He was always around before that :confused:

Catapharact
04-10-09, 00:25
This will be my final comment about you. People didn't make a big deal about the technical problems! Two people mentioned it, I said it wasn't my fault. That is all.

No, your sarcastic reply needed a reply of its own ;). I gave it to you and some people came running in here with a set inferiority complex to defend their own notion of empathy which really had little to do with the said post. But hey, it made for one interesting discussion non ;)?

JRod2208
04-10-09, 00:26
Well our biology teacher who's in charge of our school's enviroment community says he is, there's foam on this mouth sometimes. I haven't seen the dog since a moith ago, though. He was always around before that :confused:

The poor thing was probably put down. It would be the humane thing to do, it was probably suffering. :(

Gabi
04-10-09, 00:26
Maybe no relevance to you.
I do have two cats that I "rescued" from a shelter, I see cruelty to animals rather often and it makes me sad and angry.
So, for me this story does have some relevance.
Besides, we all have certain things that trigger our emotions and for some it might be the story about an unwanted cat.
Who am I to judge, or you for that matter?

Legend of Lara
04-10-09, 00:28
No, your sarcastic reply needed a reply of its own ;). I gave it to you and some people came running in here with a set inferiority complex to defend their own notion of empathy which really had little to do with the said post. But hey, it made for one interesting discussion non ;)?

http://i35.************/2u5w8pk.png

Tony9595

violentblossom

Oh, wow. :(

Minty Mouth
04-10-09, 00:29

*ehem* and one of those was in jest....

:o

Nerd For Life
04-10-09, 00:29
http://i35.************/2u5w8pk.png

*snigger* Careful, you're gonna be called an idiot who has no arguments and therefore is using an image to express his feelings. ;)

Catapharact
04-10-09, 00:30
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#2f4f4f]Who am I to judge, or you for that matter?

FINALLY someone actually put some thought in their given answer :p. Well the prespective view of the given image on itself is quite evident really. Its MENT to aspire sympathy but IMO it really prevents people from looking at the larger problem. There is nothing wrong with feeling sympathy for a helpless being. What is wrong is the manner in which the message is convayed.

PETA extremists love to flaunt such tactics. But that is another given topic of discussion.

tombraiderluka
04-10-09, 00:30
The poor thing was probably put down. It would be the humane thing to do, it was probably suffering. :(
I'm not sure that happened, you see we don't have professionals taking care of animals here in my town, so we call the nearby town for the help. They haven't answered our call yet, so I just think that the dog is prolly snooping around somewhere :)

Encore
04-10-09, 00:31

The logical extent of this argument is that nothing we say and discuss has relevance, only actions count. That kinda defeats the whole purpose of a discussion forum. And is even more absurd due to the fact that the two things (posting this story and actually saving animals) are not mutually exclusive.

Fallen.Angel
That's so sad. =(((

Minty Mouth
FINALLY someone actually put some thought in their given answer :p.

Thing is, you did judge. A lot

Catapharact
04-10-09, 00:33
The logical extent of this argument is that nothing we say and discuss has relevance, only actions count. That kinda defeats the whole purpose of a discussion forum. And is even more absurd due to the fact that the two things (posting this story and actually saving animals) are not mutually exclusive.

Well discussion leads to implementation of action ;). Its the whole premise of the military OODA rule (Observe Orient Direct and then Act.) And as for the other half of your post, the same answer I gave Gabi in my last post applies ;).

JRod2208
04-10-09, 00:36

Really? I didn't see anyone here suffering from an inferiority complex. More like you irritating everyone with your own arrogance. You were the one who derailed the topic in the first place so saying that their "notion of empathy" had little to do with the topic is a moot point. These people were doing what I like to call "paying attention to all the little things in life." It is possible for people to care about all the major disasters in the world and care about a seemingly unimportant creature at the same time. I personally do it all the time. Ignoring all the little things in life actually makes you more blind to the world around you.

After all, earthquakes and tsunamis are rare. What happens all the time, however is the suffering of animals, the abuse of children, people suffering from substance abuse. All the things that you seem to think are unimportant. I'll tell you this, ignore all those little, seemingly unimportant things and they eventually turn into big things. Animals going extinct, murderers turning up because no one cared they were abused as children, substance abusers doing all sorts of awful things to get the drugs they crave. Saying that these things are unimportant is extremely narrow minded on your part.

Catapharact
04-10-09, 00:36
Thing is, you did judge. A lot

Isn't it ironic though? You are judging my intentions the same way you say that I am judging yours. So I say let the premise of judgement remain and we all discuss things with a tinge of passion ;). Lord knows I have to light a match under you people to get you to start talking on your set POVs :p.

Nerd For Life
04-10-09, 00:37
Really? I didn't see anyone here suffering from an inferiority complex. More like you irritating everyone with your own arrogance. You were the one who derailed the topic in the first place so saying that their "notion of empathy" had little to do with the topic is a moot point. These people were doing what I like to call "paying attention to all the little things in life." It is possible for people to care about all the major disasters in the world and care about a seemingly unimportant creature at the same time. I personally do it all the time. Ignoring all the little things in life actually makes you more blind to the world around you.

After all, earthquakes and tsunamis are rare. What happens all the time, however is the suffering of animals, the abuse of children, people suffering from substance abuse. All the things that you seem to think are unimportant. I'll tell you this, ignore all those little, seemingly unimportant things and they eventually turn into big things. Animals going extinct, murderers turning up because no one cared they were abused as children, substance abusers doing all sorts of awful things to get the drugs they crave. Saying that these things are unimportant is extremely narrow minded on your part.

Best post in the thread. Well done. :)

violentblossom
04-10-09, 00:38

+1.

Encore
04-10-09, 00:38
The pack is on the move. :p

Well discussion leads to implementation of action ;). Its the whole premise of the military OODA rule (Observe Orient Direct and then Act.) And as for the other half of your post, the same answer I gave Gabi in my last post applies ;).

I see. Well I can't see how knowing about sad animal abuse cases will prevent you from wanting to stop them?! I do agree that many animal rights activist use such shocking tactics that the end result is actually pushing people away from their goals instead of gaining more support. But I don't think this story fits that description. I'm mostly thinking about videos and images that those groups circulate.

EmeraldFields
04-10-09, 00:39
http://i37.************/350uwx4.gif

I thought the cat was appropriate.

Gabi
Its MENT to aspire sympathy but IMO it really prevents people from looking at the larger problem. There is nothing wrong with feeling sympathy for a helpless being. What is wrong is the manner in which the message is convayed.

PETA extremists love to flaunt such tactics. But that is another given topic of discussion.
Well, that is pretty obvious - it's a tearjerker.
And quite a good one because it evidently works. ;)
What is the "larger problem" you are referring to? On second thoughts, don't answer this - I did not realise how late it is. Time for me to disappear.

Minty Mouth
Isn't it ironic though? You are judging my intentions the same way you say that I am judging yours. So I say let the premise of judgement remain and we all discuss things with a tinge of passion ;). Lord knows I have to light a match under you people to get you to start talking on your set POVs :p.

You were waiting for someone to say "Who am I to judge, or you for that matter?" and rejoiced when someone did reply with that. So you wanted someone to acknowledge that we cant judge each other, yet you were judging all the way through the thread. That is all that is relevant. Stop dancing around the fact that you are a hypocrite and responding by tying yourself in more knots.

JRod2208
04-10-09, 00:41

+1.

Why thank you. :hug:

http://i37.************/350uwx4.gif

I thought the cat was appropriate.

Catapharact
04-10-09, 00:42

Heh, I would say its the exact opposite really. I personally think people have lost track of the bigger picture. There is a famous saying: "One death is a tragedy. A thousand is a statistic" and I say this idea applies especially in this given sample population. Like I said before the given reflection on the topic had more to do with advertisement effectiveness rather then the actual topic in question ;). But offcourse I would want volunteers to actually run a sample test.

I wonder how many people here DO care enough about the plight of those suffering from substance abuse, the abuse of children, and the suffering of animals to actually do something about it... Irrelivent though. Your point is absurd. The argument in question I was making is that people wouldn't really care much if a headline read something like "So-and-so amount of people die daily of substance abuse" but focus the headline on a single 12 year old dying of a heroine problem and bang! People pile on the sympathy bandwagon pretty fast ;).

Catapharact
04-10-09, 00:47
I see. Well I can't see how knowing about sad animal abuse cases will prevent you from wanting to stop them?! I do agree that many animal rights activist use such shocking tactics that the end result is actually pushing people away from their goals instead of gaining more support. But I don't think this story fits that description. I'm mostly thinking about videos and images that those groups circulate.

You citied the problem in question yourself and you can see the end result of that given problem in this given thread ;). Its a common political tactic and it usually always works Lol! The effectiveness of it can't be deined with the given reaction in this thread alone.

You probably are following on the Polanski case in Hollywood right now. Don't you find it absurd that people are actually DEFENDING what he did? Lol! But that is another given topic of discussion.

Minty Mouth
04-10-09, 00:49
I think the main problem her is that people are missing the point of the Image completely. It's not about cruelty to animals, so all attempts to relate this to PETA and the like are largely irrelevant.

patriots88888
04-10-09, 00:49
I wonder how many people here DO care enough about the plight of those suffering from substance abuse, the abuse of children, and the suffering of animals to actually do something about it... Irrelivent though. Your point is absurd. The argument in question I was making is that people wouldn't really care much if I a headline read something like "So-and-so amount of people die daily of substance abuse" but focus the headline on a single 12 year old dying of a heroine problem and bang! People pile on the sympathy bandwagon pretty fast ;).

The only thing I want to point out about that is the fact that by 'singling out' an isolated incident of what many others suffer is that it makes it 'easier' to relate and better understand the problem by doing so. When we reduce things to their simplest terms, we often see 'the bigger picture' if you will. ;)

This story is also a perfect example of this BTW! ;)

Encore
04-10-09, 00:52
I'm trying to understand your point, Cat, and now that you mentioned Polanski I think what you mean is: people often focus too much on the tragic aspect and become touched by it, and the "beauty" of a tragic story ends up making them forget the underlying issue that we should be discussing instead. Is that what you mean? If so, I agree.

Catapharact
04-10-09, 00:53
You were waiting for someone to say "Who am I to judge, or you for that matter?" and rejoiced when someone did reply with that. So you wanted someone to acknowledge that we cant judge each other, yet you were judging all the way through the thread. That is all that is relevant. Stop dancing around the fact that you are a hypocrite and responding by tying yourself in more knots.

How very astute of you to point out the problem with my reaction to the given post in question yet you chose to completely ignore the fact that people were judged for pointing out the technical problems of the image. And then everything went haywire after that... Well... More like everything went haywire when people ASSUMED that I was questioning their intelligence ;). I could have been I could have been not... Who are you to judge ;)?

JRod2208
04-10-09, 00:54
Heh, I would say its the exact opposite really. I personally think people have lost track of the bigger picture. There is a famous saying: "One death is a tragedy. A thousand is a statistic" and I say this idea applies especially in this given sample population. Like I said before the given reflection on the topic had more to do with advertisement effectiveness rather then the actual topic in question ;). But offcourse I would want volunteers to actually run a sample test.

I wonder how many people here DO care enough about the plight of those suffering from substance abuse, the abuse of children, and the suffering of animals to actually do something about it... Irrelivent though. Your point is absurd. The argument in question I was making is that people wouldn't really care much if I a headline read something like "So-and-so amount of people die daily of substance abuse" but focus the headline on a single 12 year old dying of a heroine problem and bang! People pile on the sympathy bandwagon pretty fast ;).

Really? Really? Were you even aware of Hurricane Katrina and all the people from around the world that sent support? Or what about that tsunami in, what was it Sri Lanka? (sp?) Where it, once again, got world wide attention? No one has lost sight of "the bigger picture."

Are you even aware of all the fundraisers that churches and charity groups hold to help people with these problems and animals as well? Ordinary people form the backbone of these groups. You were not making the arguement you claim to be making from your posts. What I saw was an arrogant person claiming to understand the big, bad world better than anyone else. You didn't even try to pass off that you were making that arguement until people started argueing rationally with you. My point is absurd? Pfft. More like this entire arguement you started for the sake of starting an arguement is absurd. I'm done talking to you. You're absolutely ridiculous.

silver_wolf
04-10-09, 00:54
I hate people who hate animals.
Damn it, I'm crying.

Minty Mouth
04-10-09, 00:55
How very astute of you to point out the problem with my reaction to the given post in question yet you chose to completely ignore the fact that people were judged for pointing out the technical problems of the image. And then everything went haywire after that... Well... More like everything went haywire when people ASSUMED that I was questioning their intelligence ;). I could have been I could have been not... Who are you to judge ;)?

Again, irrelevant. No one was judged for pointing out technical problems. Im pretty sure (and hoping) that Legend Of Lara was joking when he responded to my post. So that does not apply. And don't try to pretend that you weren't questioning my intelligence in your first reply to me in this thread. You clearly were acting very condescending on purpose.

Mokono
04-10-09, 00:58
It is possible for people to care about all the major disasters in the world and care about a seemingly unimportant creature at the same time. I personally do it all the time. Ignoring all the little things in life actually makes you more blind to the world around you.

Shame on me to enter this thread, since i dislike whenever someone says i'm condescendant, but you and a lot of people here seem to have missed that whether this "little things" are unimportant or not is not the point. As far as i'm concerned, the criticism goes straight as a Morality call towards many things. First of all is the thread intention (wich is a subtle critic towards the other threads as well, including celebrities deaths and such). You'll see, there's no actual thread describing those 2 natural disasters (as well aas there wasn't one for the NZ earthquake a few months ago), and it's a bit concerning whether actually people really cares about what happens elsewhere in the world or not. Sure, animal cruelty is a reality, but this history in particular seems to be fictional, or at least constituted artificially around a real life fact in order to cause the impression shown in the first posts. Now, there are 2 disasters out there tragic enough to not need their own crafted context, yet caught no attention until now (despite LightningRaider, who is Filipino and mentioned in OC, wich didn't make the expected impact either). As for rape and murder being little things, those are your own words, and no one had dismissed them. The conclusion is that, the way things go around over here, is given the impression that each day less people is concerned about world's reality... Whether this statement is true or not is open to debate, but irrelevant (as well as many of the given drama) to this thread.

However, since we're discussing morality calls, here's mine (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=3903945#post3903945). People in this forum can actually get ballistic whenever a joke about animal cruelty arises, but whenever someone makes fun of human suffering it's conveniently funny? Not to mention that no one actually minded to remove such offense.

Encore
04-10-09, 01:00
However, since we're discussing morality calls, here's mine (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?p=3903945#post3903945). People in this forum can actually get ballistic whenever a joke about animal cruelty arises, but whenever someone makes fun of human suffering it's conveniently funny? Not to mention that no one actually minded to remove such offense.

I think you missed the point of that image by a LONG shot. That's not making fun of human suffering. It's making fun of religion.

Catapharact
04-10-09, 01:02
The only thing I want to point out about that is the fact that by 'singling out' an isolated incident of what many others suffer is that it makes it 'easier' to relate and better understand the problem by doing so. When we reduce things to their simplest terms, we often see 'the bigger picture' if you will. ;)

This story is also a perfect example of this BTW! ;)

I will hold you up on your view Patriot come the next Sob story posted on this forum ;). Though that is an interesting notion and I will keep it in mind.

Encore:

Then we are in agreement here.

Jrod:

Are you even aware of all the fundraisers that churches and charity groups hold to help people with these problems and animals as well? Ordinary people form the backbone of these groups. You were not making the arguement you claim to be making from your posts. What I saw was an arrogant person claiming to understand the big, bad world better than anyone else. You didn't even try to pass off that you were making that arguement until people started argueing rationally with you. My point is absurd? Pfft. More like this entire arguement you started for the sake of starting an arguement is absurd. I'm done talking to you. You're absolutely ridiculous.

Your own argument will fail you in the end when you find out that majority of the people here think that churches and religious organizations are out there hording money for their own political causes Lol! But again, that is another argument all togather. Yes ordinary people DO help organizations but there ordinary people usually are well verced and understand the problem at hand. The problem I have with the populus of this given forum is the fact that people usually don't bother with the bigger picture or the problems associated with it. Not too long ago, people posted such negitive remarks about the seal hunt yet they had NO clue as to what the regulations for the seal hunt were, or the laws behind it. THAT is what ticks me off. I rather that people understood that problem and THEN sympathize. That way I would know that they know what they are being sorry or sad about.

Mokono
04-10-09, 01:04
I think you missed the point of that image by a LONG shot. That's not making fun of human suffering. It's making fun of religion.

I think you miss the entire point by taking it way to literal, it's indeed making fun of religion, but based on what? The picture shows a man sitting on debris. Turning into a joke it's, at least at my eyes, disrespectful. Whoever made the pic it's a blatant ignorant, but hey, if it's not making fun at the man "at all", then i regret my words.

JRod2208
04-10-09, 01:05
Shame on me to enter this thread, since i dislike whenever someone says i'm condescendant, but you and a lot of people here seem to have missed that whether this "little things" are unimportant or not is not the point. As far as i'm concerned, the criticism goes straight as a Morality call towards many things. First of all is the thread intention (wich is a subtle critic towards the other threads as well, including celebrities deaths and such). You'll see, there's no actual thread describing those 2 natural disasters (as well aas there wasn't one for the NZ earthquake a few months ago), and it's a bit concerning whether actually people really cares about what happens elsewhere in the world or not. Sure, animal cruelty is a reality, but this history in particular seems to be fictional, or at least constituted artificially around a real life fact in order to cause the impression shown in the first posts. Now, there are 2 disasters out there tragic enough to not need their own crafted context, yet caught no attention until now (despite LightningRaider, who is Filipino and mentioned in OC, wich didn't make the expected impact either). As for rape and murder being little things, those are your own words, and no one had dismissed them. The conclusion is that, the way things go around over here, is given the impression that each day less people is concerned about world's reality... Whether this statement is true or not is open to debate, but irrelevant (as well as many of the given drama) to this thread.

I am well aware of the thread's original point. I was responding to a post that irritated me beyond all end. If anything, I'm questioning whether or not you got the original point.

Tony9595
04-10-09, 01:07
This thread's purpose was to show how some animals suffer when no one loves them, and a reality. It had nothing to do with people suffering as well, if someone wants to discuss that, why don't they make a thread for it?

This thread has gone really far away from it's original point, whether if people care about other humans or not.

Minty Mouth
04-10-09, 01:08
I think you miss the entire point by taking it way to literal, it's indeed making fun of religion, but based on what? The picture shows a man sitting on debris. Turning into a joke it's, at least at my eyes, disrespectful. Whoever made the pic it's a blatant ignorant, but hey, if it's not making fun at the man "at all", then i regret my words.
Well, that's essentially what jokes are
This thread's purpose was to show how some animals suffer when no one loves them, and a reality. It had nothing to do with people suffering as well, if someone wants to discuss that, why don't they make a thread for it?

This thread has gone really far away from it's original point, whether if people care about other humans or not.

Wrong. This image was supposed to be sentimental, and about emotion "to give your total to those you care for", but not animals. Animals were merely the form the message took.

Encore
04-10-09, 01:09

If anything I see it as saying, what's the point of religion if a tragedy like this man has suffered will happen? It is in fact putting the emphasis on the tragedy.

But Mokono, besides that sidenote I agree with your post. There's a sense of hypocrisy in many occasions where people rally for a certain cause and completely ignore another.

And furthermore, constantly looking at sensationalistic approaches on tragic or violent events (which is what the media does) does not help you think about how to change them, it mostly just paralizes you in a sense of powerlessness and numbness.

Tony9595
Ok, maybe I didn't fully understand the point, however I also saw what you said :)

The thing is... if they want to discuss another topic, why do they have to do it here?

Legend of Lara
Wrong. This image was supposed to be sentimental, and about emotion, but not animals. Animals were merely the form the message took.

Exactly. Animal abuse is not the main theme of the image at all.

Catapharact
04-10-09, 01:11
Exactly. Animal abuse is not the main theme of the image at all.

And that is what the main given problem is. And that is exactly what I have been arguing against on an on about.

Mokono
04-10-09, 01:14
I am well aware of the thread's original point. I was responding to a post that irritated me beyond all end. If anything, I'm questioning whether or not you got the original point.

I'm gonna completely honest with you: i fail to see the original point in a thread where each page contain different statements despite being made by the same person with a range of 2 posts between replies. All i did was bringing my point about what happens, and was a chance to remark that the importance of the "little" things was out of debate.

@Enconre: Cheers :).

Edit:

Well, that's essentially what jokes are.

The we have a strong disagreement about what's a joke (funny), and what's not, but who am i to judge? Laugh at the pic if you find it funny.

Minty Mouth
04-10-09, 01:17
And that is what the main given problem is. And that is exactly what I have been arguing against on an on about.

Okay, I could be wrong here, But I'm pretty sure that that is absolute rubbish.

Azerutan
04-10-09, 01:17
This is why I think "compassion" is the ultimate human quality that not a lot of people have. Funny enough, if I saw an ugly in my apartment and street, I would definately look after him...

Nerd For Life
04-10-09, 01:18
This is why I think "compassion" is the ultimate human quality that not a lot of people have. Funny enough, if I saw an ugly in my apartment and street, I would definately look after him...

So would I. Without a doubt. :)

Mokono
04-10-09, 01:19
So would I. Without a doubt. :)

Didn't Melonie looked after a cat not too long ago?

Encore

No it isn't, if you read his posts carefully, what he's been saying all along is that posting things like the OP draws people's attention AWAY from the issue of animal abuse.

Catapharact

You are absolutely wrong ;). Compassion and empathy without focus or understanding are just as useless and destructive as rage, or envy or any other given human emotion.

Minty Mouth
Didn't Melonie took after a cat not too long ago?

Adopted it from a homeless shelter

(but it was a cute kitten, totally not an ugly)

Nerd For Life
04-10-09, 01:20
Didn't Melonie looked after a cat not too long ago?

Yeah I think she did, why do you ask?

Minty Mouth
04-10-09, 01:21
No it isn't, if you read his posts carefully, what he's been saying all along is that posting things like the OP draws people's attention AWAY from the issue of animal abuse.
All I have managed to extract from Catapharact's posts has been that too much small scale stuff is distracting people from the large scale stuff, like earthquakes etc. If Catapharact was trying to say that, then why didn't he just say it? I'm pretty sure that he was just leaving his options open.
You are absolutely wrong ;). Compassion and empathy without focus or understanding is just as useless and destructive as rage, or envy or any other given human emotion.

This is where our views differ. I couldn't disagree more. The image is about placing your emotions in the right place. It uses animal abuse as a back story for the implementation of those elements. In no way does that cheapen animal abuse. So it doesn't take away from it.

Rai
04-10-09, 01:30

So you're peeved because this is another thread about one poor kitty to feel sorry for and not a serious discussion? You feel that people here should be discussing things more important? Well fair enough. But to be honest, you kind of have to decide what kind of forum this is. This is a game forum. The game is a form of entertainment, and by extension, so is the forum. Sure, thanks to GC, members are free to have discussions about many subjects. Maybe we should take more time to discuss more serious issues, or maybe, we're here in the now wanting to relax and think about less important things in life. That is how I see it anyway. It in no way means I care less about what is going on in the world and I will think about them and discuss them. I use this forum as another way to escape from the harsh realities of life. There are serious discussions going on in this part of the forum and in the MGC. I understand where you are coming from, but maybe this thread isn't the place to argue your points. People can discuss more serious issues and even act upon them. But they can also come to a forum like this one where they don't need to. It isn't saying 'I don't care' about that stuff, rather, this is my time to relax and talk about TR or about sad little stories like the one in the OP.

All you've managed to to do is turn this thread into an argument about what people should or should not be discussing. Maybe if you'd let things run their course, someone would have taken the discussion about one little kitty further and turned it into a deeper discussion. Or maybe someone would have seen this thread and decided to make their own - about animal cruelty in general perhaps.

Azerutan
04-10-09, 01:36
This remembers me a kitten I found when I was 12.

He was a new born black kitten and someone threw him into a camp near my house full of thorns (I can't remember the name of the plant or flowers in specific). I remember I suspected some owner's cat had had kittens and the ones he couldn't "get rid of", he just threw them anywhere to die.

I remember I rescued him, I jumped into the thorns just by hearing his screams of agony. I couldn't see him, but I knew he was somewhere out there and I just felt this need to rescue him no matter what. I bled a lot (thorns do hurt), but I eventually found him - I don't even remember feeling the pain once I took him. He was so small, I remember he was the size of my palm - I was merely 12 at the time and my hands aren't big either.

I was with a friend and I took the kitten - which was a true "ugly" one, he was extremely dirty, he was bleeding all over his body, he didn't have one eye (I thought he was blind at the time), but from the moment I took him in my arms, I tried to comfort him as much as I could, because he was trembling a lot. He calmed down the moment I comforted him.

Unfortunately, I knew my mother would never take a cat, not to mention a kitten like that. But I took him to a vet anyway - he smelt a lot, but I didn't care, my friend found him disgusting, I adored that cat.

I was so naive that I took him to a vet so he could get better. I was a child I didn't know what to do. I found out later the vets did nothing to save him and asked me not to take any more animals there unless I could pay for the treatment. He died.

If I had known, I would have fought for him, I guess I still blame myself for taking him home, even though my family was poor and we could have never paid for the treatment he needed.

I think that was the precise moment that made me realize I wanted to help people and animals. My personality was shaped. Nowadays, I work in a organization of Human Rights and everytime I see a cat on the street or near my house, I try to feed him as long as he stays close.

It is the first time I'm telling this to anyone actually :) This thread brought some wonderful memories.

Catapharact
04-10-09, 01:36
So you're peeved because this is another thread about one poor kitty to feel sorry for and not a serious discussion? You feel that people here should be discussing things more important? Well fair enough. But to be honest, you kind of have to decide what kind of forum this is. This is a game forum. The game is a form of entertainment, and by extension, so is the forum. Sure, thanks to GC, members are free to have discussions about many subjects. Maybe we should take more time to discuss more serious issues, or maybe, we're here in the now wanting to relax and think about less important things in life. That is how I see it anyway. It in no way means I care less about what is going on in the world and I will think about them and discuss them. I use this forum as another way to escape from the harsh realities of life. There are serious discussions going on in this part of the forum and in the MGC. I understand where you are coming from, but maybe this thread isn't the place to argue your points. People can discuss more serious issues and even act upon them. But they can also come to a forum like this one where they don't need to. It isn't saying 'I don't care' about that stuff, rather, this is my time to relax and talk about TR or about sad little stories like the one in the OP.

If that is the given context of the given disussion then why is it that given set of people on this forum turn their faces in contempt when those of us who actually want to discuss things with a serious outlook want an equal view in the given matter then those who don't. If they think that they have the right to point out that this is an entertainment forum and that they have the right to post those absurd game threads in question all over the forum on the premise that this forum is an open area of discussion for all then I say I have every right to focus the given topic of the discussion on more serious terms since its my free right as a forum member. The OPs intention of the topic of the thread was to have a sympathetic reaction the image while would like to discuss the serious implications of it. That is indeed my right on the premise of free speech isn't it?

Nerd For Life
04-10-09, 01:38
This remembers a kitten I found when I was 12.

He was a new born black kitten and someone threw him into a camp near my house full of thorns (I can't remember the name of the plant or flowers in specific). I remember I suspected some owner's cat had kittens and the ones he couldn't "get ridden of", he just threw them anywhere to die.

I remember I rescued him, I jumped into the thorns just by hearing his screams of agony. I couldn't see him, but I knew he was somewhere out there and I just felt this need to rescue him no matter what. I bled a lot (thorns do hurt), but I eventually found him - I don't even remember feeling the pain once I took him. He was so small, I remember he was the size of my palm - I was merely 12 at the time and my hands aren't big either.

I was with a friend and I took the kitten - which was a true "ugly" one, he was extremely dirty, he was bleeding all over the buddy, he didn't have one eye (I thought he was blind at the time), but from the moment I took him in my arms, I tried to comfort him as much as I could, because he was trembling a lot. He calm down the moment I comforted him.

Unfortunately, I knew my mother would never take a cat, not to mention a kitten like that. But I took him to a vet anyway - he smelt a lot, but I didn't care, my friend found him disgusting, I adored that cat.

I was so naive that I took him to the vet so he could get better. I was a child I didn't know what to do. I knew later the vets did nothing to save him and asked me not to take anymore animals there unless I would pay for treatment. He died.

If I knew, I would have fought for him, I guess I still blame myself for taking him home, even though my family is poor and he could never have paid for the treatment he needed.

I think that was the precise moment that made me realize I wanted to help people and animals and my personality was shaped. Nowadays, I worked in organization of Human Rights and everytime I see a cat on the street or near my house, I try to feed him as long as the cats stays there.

This is true and it is the first time I'm telling this to anyone actually. :) This thread brought some wonderful memories.

That was really, really nice of you. I love this post.

Tony9595
04-10-09, 01:40
That was really, really nice of you. I love this post.

Same here, Azerutan :tmb:
That was a really nice thing to do, even though the cat died. You did what you could at the moment :hug:

violentblossom
04-10-09, 01:40
Azerutan, I thoroughly applaud you. Even if you could not have given the kitten a long life, you showed him a kindness that no one else cared or dared to. Bravo. I cannot provide enough words for the respect that I have for you right now.

Encore
04-10-09, 01:44
That's very sad Azerutan. :( People will just keep treating animals like objects, it's a very difficult mentality to change. The other day on Animal Hospital I saw a cat who's owners had put him in the garbage inside a garbage bag! I mean, WTF?!?! :confused: Do they even realize that it's a living thing?

I think that the way a human being treats an animal speaks volumes about who they are. We have made a lot of progress in this area but there is a lot of abuse still, and I think unless the lawmakers start taking this more seriously, it will be hard to fight.

JRod2208
04-10-09, 01:46
This remembers a kitten I found when I was 12.

He was a new born black kitten and someone threw him into a camp near my house full of thorns (I can't remember the name of the plant or flowers in specific). I remember I suspected some owner's cat had kittens and the ones he couldn't "get ridden of", he just threw them anywhere to die.

I was with a friend and I took the kitten - which was a true "ugly" one, he was extremely dirty, he was bleeding all over his body, he didn't have one eye (I thought he was blind at the time), but from the moment I took him in my arms, I tried to comfort him as much as I could, because he was trembling a lot. He calmed down the moment I comforted him.

I was so naive that I took him to a vet so he could get better. I was a child I didn't know what to do. I found out later the vets did nothing to save him and asked me not to take any more animals there unless I could pay for the treatment. He died.

If I knew, I would have fought for him, I guess I still blame myself for taking him home, even though my family was poor and we could have never paid for the treatment he needed.

I think that was the precise moment that made me realize I wanted to help people and animals. My personality was shaped. Nowadays, I work in a organization of Human Rights and everytime I see a cat on the street or near my house, I try to feed him as long as he stays close.

It is the first time I'm telling this to anyone actually :) This thread brought some wonderful memories.

That was so good of you. It's tragic that the poor thing died, but at least you did all that you could. I guess you could thank the poor creature in a way for making you into a better person. In a way, I guess that was it's way of thanking you for helping it in it's time of need. :(

Nerd For Life
04-10-09, 01:47
That's very sad Azerutan. :( People will just keep treating animals like objects, it's a very difficult mentality to change. The other day on Animal Hospital I saw a cat who's owners had put him in the garbage inside a garbage bag! I mean, WTF?!?! :confused: Do they even realize that it's a living thing?

I think that the way a human being treats an animal speaks volumes about who they are. We have made a lot of progress in this area but there is a lot of abuse still, and I think unless the lawmakers start taking this more seriously, it will be hard to fight.

The very sad thing is, I don't think lawmakers take this matter as seriously as they should. I've seen some pretty nasty stuff. A dog whose legs were tied was dead in the highway, along with dogs wandering around in roads and it's quite clear they were abandoned. This makes me so sad.

violentblossom
04-10-09, 01:47
At my local Petco, they do this thing where, whether you got a animal from them or not, they will take it off of your hands if you cannot care for it and adopt it out.

They sell these animals for good prices, too. Well taken care of, and often, you get alot of nice little extras, too, like the cage and food bowls.

More pet shops should do this.

Encore
04-10-09, 01:50
The very sad thing is, I don't think lawmakers take this matter as seriously as they should. I've seen some pretty nasty stuff. A dog whose legs were tied was dead in the highway, along with dogs wandering around in roads and it's quite clear they were abandoned. This makes me so sad.

On our country, nope, it's not taken seriously at all. :( But in other countries such as the UK I think things work a little better. I think the US also have strict laws against animal abuse, don't know if it's true.

Azerutan
04-10-09, 01:50
Thank you guys but I honestly believe you would all have done what I did, and it's true I never told anyone this story. It happened so many years ago when I was coming back from school. It was a huge life lesson for me and I was never a cat person until that point.

I cannot find the words to describe what I felt when the vets asked me for not bringing any more animals to them if I could not pay for their treatment. It was another life lesson. Even though, being a vet is a jod and takes money to treat a cat, at the time it just broke my heart.

I never forgot that kitten and the way he comforted himself in my chest as I hold him. Everytime I look at my "pets" I remember him. I guess I do not like talking about this story because I remember the saddness I felt for the kitten and how impotent I felt towards the situation. This thread brought those memories back, but also brought wonderful ones.

:)

Paddy
04-10-09, 01:53
Hate the term ugly being used to describe an animal or human in fact.
If I was to get a pet if I didnt already have one Id pick up an 'ugly' simply because not many would, Id be inclined to give this one a home.

JRod2208
04-10-09, 01:55

I wonder if they would do something if they realized that when people harm animals, many of them are showing signs of becoming serial killers later in life... Now, I believe that lawmakers should want to stop this on their own, but the sad fact is that most of them are quite selfish and only care about their career. So, unfortunately we have to give them the most awful, disgusting fact we can dig up before they will even lift a finger...

At my local Petco, they do this thing where, whether you got a animal from them or not, they will take it off of your hands if you cannot care for it and adopt it out.

They sell these animals for good prices, too. Well taken care of, and often, you get alot of nice little extras, too, like the cage and food bowls.

More pet shops should do this.

Now that sounds like a good system. I personally like to adopt animals out of the SPCA. It's a nonprofit organization and they do try to find homes for all the animals. And most of the animals are rescue animals who never really had good lives. I got my dog from a puppy mill. The poor guy had saw dust in his kennel and he had bald spots. He would flinch if you even so much as looked at him. :( :mad: He's better now. All he likes to do is run around and cuddle down into your butt. :vlol: :D

_Awestruck_
04-10-09, 01:56
Nope, that would be you making a moutain out of a mole hill.

Personal View:

Good god. Who the hell do you think you are, trying to put people in their places on how their views on life should be? Make your own damn threads if these issues are so important to you. If your priorities are so set out perfectly, then why are you here belittling others for what they think?

Paddy
04-10-09, 03:04
Nothin wrong with being a bit emotional when it comes to animals, its part of being human is having compassion, Ive had a cat die because of negligence, the fact many animals get put down does sadden me but it happens. I do agree with Cat though that there are things that Im surprised werent discussed IE the earthquakes and tsunamis, those are tragedies. He is right, we should be discussing things like that, it is of more importance given so many people have died in those disasters.

Tommy123
04-10-09, 05:00
That was the sad :( poor ugly. It just comes to show to not judge a book by its cover and to accept things no matter what they look like

remote91
04-10-09, 06:01
I hate things like this, it makes me want to help every animal that gets treated awfully.

rickybazire
04-10-09, 07:51
That's such a sweet yet sad story. RIP Ugly.

xXhayleyroxXx
04-10-09, 11:12
Awww, that is sooo sad. Poor Ugly and yet he was beautiful on the inside. :hug:

yeah iv had pets like ugly rescued from cruel situations - mice with 3 legs, rabbits missing eyes and feet, creatures missing tails and ears and sporting injuries

its sad - and its even sadder knowing PEOPLE do this
like i said earlier - if one person has their say against animal cruelty - it really does help

if one person spots animal cruelty, they could tell someone or ring a friend or even take the animal in if they find them abandoned. They wouldn't have to keep it at all.

I've seen a kitten bashed against the wall in a carrier bag, and as fast as i ran i couldnt prevent it:(

Animal cruelty happens everywhere - and someone has to stick up for the victims - so everyone please be vigilant :hug:

xxxx

scion05
04-10-09, 11:23
Wish I'd not read it...

makes me think about our eldest cat, Molly. We got her because our neighbours had found her stuck in a cardboard box at a bus station, with nothing but an old shirt and a brick, presumably to stop it from blowing away... she's 13/14 now though :)

xXhayleyroxXx
04-10-09, 11:25
Wish I'd not read it...

makes me think about our eldest cat, Molly. We got her because our neighbours had found her stuck in a cardboard box at a bus station, with nothing but an old shirt and a brick, presumably to stop it from blowing away... she's 13/14 now though :)

aww good for you :hug: thats standing up for animal cruelty

scion05
04-10-09, 11:28
Well I would've been two or three, so I had little or not say in it :ton:

xXhayleyroxXx
04-10-09, 11:30
Well I would've been two or three, so I had little or not say in it :ton:

still, when you posted you were affected by the story - so you are hun :hug: that cat of yours will be enjoying it's life with you :hug:

LightningRider
04-10-09, 11:34
I didn't shed a tear, but I hope more people understand how hard people take the challenges of the world.

But if you look deeper, it cold also mean reaching out to your fellow people, poor and rich, who need help, without hesitating for a second. :)

Lavinder
04-10-09, 11:48
Cat people may find animal cruelty a little bit more upsetting/disturbing than the earthquakes etc. because earthquakes are natural disasters and animal cruelty is a chosen act.

The story did not really upset me because I know it's just a moral story intended to make people understand a small story, which in effect will make them learn morals on a much bigger scale.

:)

adventurerLara
04-10-09, 11:56
I would like to think, if I were in that situation, I would protect the cat and try and keep it safe. Especially given it's injuries and needs.

Ikas90
04-10-09, 12:02
A big thumbs up to all the people who stood up for animal cruelty. :tmb:

I've had an experience with a bird and a turtle. Me and my friend were out exploring one day, and we found a turtle that was wedged in between two rocks. It looked very dehydrated. We managed to get it out from under the rocks, and we immediately took it down to the creek and let it go in the water. It swam off so happily.

The other experience with the bird, I found with the same friend. We found it in a narrow alley behind a garage, injured. We took it home, fed and watered it. It spent the night with me. I made a little nest for it to sleep in. The next day it was fine, and I let it go.

Love2Raid
04-10-09, 12:41
It's the sad truth that people show pity for ugly/deformated creatures but they won't ever get the love they deserve. It reminds me a bit of children in poor countries who are deliberatly being mutilated by their parents so they will earn more money as beggars, but who will love them? That just breaks my heart.

Your_Envy*
04-10-09, 14:24
I am not gonna lie, I'm now crying like a little baby.

Me too. :(

jackles
04-10-09, 14:24
Hmmmm did't realise this was a thread about 'Cat'......thought this was discussing an example of people's in/humanity to a cat.

Lets keep things on track shall we?

Your_Envy*
04-10-09, 15:32
I just read Azerutan's story and you really are a great person! :) I remember I found some little kitties in a plastic bag too - what kind of person does that? One with absolutely no heart.

It makes me sad there are so many abandoned and left animals around the world (yes, and people too, but this is the thread about cats, so ..). :( I want to help all of them, but I can't. :(

xXhayleyroxXx
04-10-09, 18:31
I just read Azerutan's story and you really are a great person! :) I remember I found some little kitties in a plastic bag too - what kind of person does that? One with absolutely no heart.

It makes me sad there are so many abandoned and left animals around the world (yes, and people too, but this is the thread about cats, so ..). :( I want to help all of them, but I can't. :(

but at least you help some :)

once my mum was walking the dogs & she found domestic rats abandoned on the floor in newspaper - so we took them before a foxy found them

badboy70
04-10-09, 18:37
That's horrible :(
Everyone who harms an animal harms me, and that person will pay for what he's done to it.
Seriously, harm people or things I care about (like animals) and you will know my wrath :p

xXhayleyroxXx
04-10-09, 18:38
That's horrible :(
Everyone who harms an animal harms me, and that person will pay for what he's done to it.
Seriously, harm people or things I care about (like animals) and you will know my wrath :p

you sound like me :ton::hug: