PDA

View Full Version : Adults watching 'kids' movies'

Ikas90
04-10-09, 12:54
Thought this would be interesting. Do any of you still watch cartoons or animated films that are made mainly for children? :p Even though I might be laughed at, I still love to watch the cartoons that I grew up with. My favourites include Anastasia, The Lion King, Toy Story, Hercules and Matilda as far as I can recall at the moment.

I just consider it a good thing going back to watch the movies that helped you grow up. Even after watching them again, I learn something new. :p

So what do you think? Do you think it's alright for an adult to watch any movie they please without being ridiculed? What are some of your favourite cartoons that you enjoyed as a child, and still enjoy today? :)

Love2Raid
04-10-09, 13:00
Of course!

I'm 24, but I can still enjoy a good classic Disney movie (I'm not talking about that Hannah Montana crap, but Jungle Book or The Lion King for example), or funny cartoons like Spongebob Squarepants, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life etc etc.

Nothing wrong with that, it is good to stay in touch with your inner child. :D

Dina_Croft
04-10-09, 13:02
Lol when i see the Thread's Title...All i can think of is

There's nothing wrong with that,The problem would be if kids watched adult's movies:mis:

:vlol::vlol:

TRhalloween
04-10-09, 13:03
No.

30seconds2sasa
04-10-09, 13:05
Thought this would be interesting. Do any of you still watch cartoons or animated films that are made mainly for children? :p Even though I might be laughed at, I still love to watch the cartoons that I grew up with. My favourites include Anastasia, The Lion King, Toy Story, Hercules and Matilda as far as I can recall at the moment.

I just consider it a good thing going back to watch the movies that helped you grow up. Even after watching them again, I learn something new. :p

So what do you think? Do you think it's alright for an adult to watch any movie they please without being ridiculed? What are some of your favourite cartoons that you enjoyed as a child, and still enjoy today? :)

i agree with you i love cartoons!my favourite is anastasia too!and the aristocats!:ton:

NemesisxAngelus
04-10-09, 13:16
I so should let my mom read this thread and point out there are people who do since she's being all worried about me. :eek:

Do you think it's alright for an adult to watch any movie they please without being ridiculed?
I think it's amazing. It shows you're not afraid to like what you like without being judged. Myself I'm within a few months 19 and I still love Disney and regular cartoons meant for kids such as Tom and Jerry, Cow and Chicken, Heckle and Jeckle, Dexter and the list goes on and on... *misses Cartoon Network terribly*

What are some of your favourite cartoons that you enjoyed as a child, and still enjoy today?
Classic Disney movies, especially Sleeping Beauty. It has always been my favorite and I'm still somewhat hesistant towards buying its 50 year Anniversary DVD. However, I did buy the soundtrack along with Snow White and a t-shirt with all Disney princesses on it and I'm not afraid to wear it in public, I might get here and there some odd glances. But hey, it's on my body, not on theirs and I all feel proud when I wear it. :)

Oh yeah, Bambi still makes me an emotional piece of sh!t when his mother gets shot by the hunters. Not like crying, but it gets me sad and think about everyone is going to die someday, even your parents.

Ahh I could go on... :p

TR love
04-10-09, 13:20
well 14 probably doesnt count as an adult watching a kids movie. But i'll express my opinion anyway.

I will forever watch little kids movies like Disney. or just kids shows. I cant live without them :D

jackles
04-10-09, 14:05
Some...they have to give us parents some reason not to die of boredom while watching films.

Paddy
04-10-09, 14:07
Nah Im one who gave up watching those kinds of movies, I prefer movies with an MA rating at the very minimum :D
In saying that, nothin wrong with adults watchin those kids type movies, to each their own.

Spong
04-10-09, 14:08
Absolutely nothing wrong in watching "kids stuff". I still watch The Goonies on occasion and thoroughly enjoy it. The Toy Story movies, Monsters Inc; they're a few movies that were released in my adulthood that are brilliant.

In some cases, it's a link to our own childhoods. In the case of watching "new" kids movies, it's just indicative of a still young and playful mind in an adult's body I think :)

Dennis's Mom
04-10-09, 14:08
A good movie or show is a good movie or show. It transcends age.

Phys
04-10-09, 14:35
I love watching ye olde cartoons that I grew up with :D Its a shame most of them don't show that often... if at all.

Some of the ones I can think of are:

Dexters Laboratory
Tom and Jerry
Pokemon (1st ever series)
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball GT (didn't watch this as much as Z)
Powerpuff Girls (I can help but admit I used to love this :vlol:)
Rugrats
Scooby Doo
Hey Arnold
Cubix
Digimon

Encore
04-10-09, 15:28
I love classic Disney movies. Never get tired of watching them. :tmb:

Unfortunately, the cartoons I saw on TV when I was a child, I don't see them these days because they don't air anymore (for example, My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, or Care Bears). They were very typical of that era (the 80s) and kids just can't relate to them anymore so the tv channels just forgot them.

tonyme
04-10-09, 15:32
Yes, yes, yes a million times yes! I'm a Disney fanatic and I still watch the cartoons and animated movies to this day with the most love!

:tmb:

1upMushroom
04-10-09, 15:56
Oh my gawsh!

I love animated movies!
Just the other day I watched Beauty and the Beast again.
I have watched Hoodwinked so many times I practically know the movie by heart!

I watched the Never Ending Story again recently as well, that was such a favourite of mine when I was a child, and I still think it is brilliant.

There is nothing wrong with watching children's movies. :D

tonyme
04-10-09, 15:58
^ I watched Beauty And The Beast two days ago! :)

Encore
04-10-09, 16:01
^ I watched Beauty And The Beast two days ago! :)

I saw it recently as well for the first time since I was a kid, and I was amazed at how good it is, not just as a kid's movie but as a movie in itself.

I think what's good about watching this stuff when you're an adult is that you can apreciate the many technical qualities (or flaws) you ignore as a child.

Squibbly
04-10-09, 16:03
Nothing wrong with adults watching kids movies at all! I do it. :D

I read the title of this thread the first time quiet wrong. :p

But anyway, I just find that it feels good to watch a children's movie here and there. I love Disney movies as well as Disney/Pixar. UP is the most recent one I saw and I'm just in love with it. :)

I have too many favourites.

As for cartoons I watched as a kid, most aren't played anymore. :(

tonyme
04-10-09, 16:04
I saw it recently as well for the first time since I was a kid, and I was amazed at how good it is, not just as a kid's movie but as a movie in itself.

I think what's good about watching this stuff when you're an adult is that you can apreciate the many technical qualities (or flaws) you ignore as a child.

One of the great things about this as well, is the nostalgia. When you hear the music or watch the scenes you watched as a kid and how you remember it all as it happens, is just an amazing feeling! :)

Spong
04-10-09, 16:05
I watched the Never Ending Story again recently as well, that was such a favourite of mine when I was a child, and I still think it is brilliant.

Man, I haven't seen that movie in sooo many years. Falkor the luckdragon....that takes me back *sigh*. I used to love him :o

rowanlim
04-10-09, 16:26
Do you think it's alright for an adult to watch any movie they please without being ridiculed?
It's fine, a good movie is a good movie whether animated or not :)

What are some of your favourite cartoons that you enjoyed as a child, and still enjoy today?
I'm guilty of watching Bambi & Bambi II everyday now :o

I love Disney classics, Anastasia is one of my favorites, it's got some amazing songs :tmb:

The Last Unicorn is another awesome movie, very enchanting (that's the best word I've got for it :p)

tonyme
04-10-09, 16:28
I love Disney classics, Anastasia is one of my favorites, it's got some amazing songs :tmb:

Anastasia is great but it's not a Disney movie. ;)

Tommy123
04-10-09, 16:58
Well im not exactly an adult but i still watch like dora the explorer every once and awhile:p

CroftGameGirl
04-10-09, 18:03
Well, I'm 14 tomorrow, but I'm still IN LOVE with Spongebob :D I love that show...so funny XD :vlol:

ShadyCroft
04-10-09, 18:12
Yes, of course I do. :D

aileenwuornos
05-10-09, 04:00
Angela Anaconda & Coraline FTW

Squibbly
05-10-09, 04:12
^ I love Coraline. :D

TR love
05-10-09, 04:13
Well, I'm 14 tomorrow, but I'm still IN LOVE with Spongebob :D I love that show...so funny XD :vlol:

Firstly, Happy birthday, second. WOW I THOUGHT YOU WERE HEAPS OLDER! and thirdly: Spongebob is the best goddamn show in the planet,

LaraLuvrrr
05-10-09, 04:18
I dont.... I just cant find them interesting or fascinating like when i was younger...

I may see the scrooge movie this december though lol

ECB
05-10-09, 04:21
Oh, absolutely!
Speaking of which, I saw Toy Story 1&2 in 3D at the theater the other night. Loads of fun. :)

rowanlim
05-10-09, 04:25
Anastasia is great but it's not a Disney movie. ;)

Yup I know my sentence wasn't very clear :p

oocladableeblah
05-10-09, 04:49
YES I think it is all right to watch cartoons.
I still watch Tom and Jerry, Scooby-Doo and obviously Looney Tunes though they weren't really made for kids).
I still like some Disney films too like the pixar ones and Robin Hood.

iamlaracroft
05-10-09, 05:18
I always thought many kids movies were written/made for adults to enjoy just as much. Toy Story, Shrek, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc and plenty others have mature underlying plot themes and a fair amount of witty jokes that only adults would get or appreciate.

AmericanAssassin
05-10-09, 05:20
I would never in a million years shelter myself from an entire genre of films. However, new kids movies just aren't as good as the old ones. :pi:

iamlaracroft
05-10-09, 05:25
^ there's a whole lot of underlinin' goin on up there ;)

Lavinder
05-10-09, 09:25
Now what do you guys think about kids watching adult movies :mis::pi:.

BlackRainbow
05-10-09, 09:32
My dad cried while watching Ratatouille... how do you think that made me feel? .____.

interstellardave
05-10-09, 10:41
I'm getting up there in age but I recently got bored with watching the same comedy tv shows that I usually watch and looked for something different. I found iCarly on Nickelodeon... which I find to be really funny; my wife loves it as well. So if I'm strange then my wife is too--so more proof we're a good match!

January_Snow*
05-10-09, 10:48
Sometimes when they are on tv, I enjoy watching old Disney clasics, they bring me back to my childhood and I always feel so happy :D IMO there is no magic in cartoons for children these days, new cartoons are so uninteresting and vague...

January_Snow*
05-10-09, 10:50
My dad cried while watching Ratatouille... how do you think that made me feel? .____.

Oh my O_O
I cry when I watch Bambi, but I consider it very sad when they shoot his mom... I didnt wat Ratatouille but I saw its about a rat or something like that, how can you cry over a rat?

MiCkiZ88
05-10-09, 11:08
Absolutely. Though you could say that the old Disney movies could easily be aimed at adults for their style.

Bumio
05-10-09, 11:21
these films, cartoons are made by adults, and anyone can watch them. i really hate an opinion that cartoons are only for children. pff..

of course i watch them, all the time.
it's a piece of art.

Legend of Lara
05-10-09, 11:56
At 16 I guess I can't consider myself an adult, but I sometimes like to watch movies and shows I grew up with.

tampi
05-10-09, 12:10
http://i38.************/2qn89px.jpg

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to see Topcat.
It's a treat to see old cartoons. Some are great, funny, witty and emphasize values as friendship, the word, honor ...
That's cool

Lara's home
05-10-09, 14:45
Hannah Montana is addictive.. If I come in and it's on by accident, I just cant' leave or switch teh channel. :(

But I rarely turn on the Disney Channel because there's specific programs I like. (Fairly odd parents rocks though!).
But the classic Disney movies will never grow old.

Lara Croft!
05-10-09, 14:58
I'm 22 and I watch animated films. Movies like Ice Age, Finding Nemo, Happy feet and Madagascar are too good and funny to let them to the children! :D

Pietras
05-10-09, 15:06
Yep, and one of the reasons is that many animations are aimed @ both kids and adults. While kids are having fun with lovely & quite simple storylines, there are tons of hidden jokes only adults will get, not too mention the context of so many scenes referencing to modern social issues and all that jazz that again, only adults would understand. Let's take Wall-E for example and the image of obese society being maintenance by robots. Or 'Time Squad' from Cartoon Network with political satires hidden in basically every line spoken by the characters.

young Lara Croft
05-10-09, 15:09
I'm 22 and still feel like a child! :D
I watch Disney animations still , and Loony Tunes and even Barbie :pi: (sorry some may think my silly) but still I'm drawn to animation weather it's 2D or 3D , but honestly, I prefer old school 2D!

the other day i stumbled upon a fave of mine :D
7ogJk5zARTk

tampi
05-10-09, 15:13
Yep, and one of the reasons is that many animations are aimed @ both kids and adults. While kids are having fun with lovely & quite simple storylines, there are tons of hidden jokes only adults will get, not too mention the context of so many scenes referencing to modern social issues and all that jazz that again, only adults would understand. Let's take Wall-E for example and the image of obese society being maintenance by robots. Or 'Time Squad' from Cartoon Network with political satires hidden in basically every line spoken by the characters.

Yep, they are cartoons for adults. Wall-E is a metaphor of "The myth of the cave" by Platon and "Up" (Pixar) has a great scene on a human life told in two minutes

irjudd
05-10-09, 15:18
I guess it depends on what it is. Some animated films have comedic elements that are clearly targeted at adults while still being kid-friendly.

Forwen
05-10-09, 17:14
Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the bluee cooorn mooon
Or asked the grinning bobcat why he griiiinned
Can you sing with all the voooices of a mountain
Can you paint with all the colouurs of the wiiind?

Lara's home
05-10-09, 17:59
^<3
While on the music. This is definetely the best version of this song:
5qYspN41n5s
The classic Disney films are the only films I would watch in the Norwegian dub. They are actually amazing, and not horrible beyond imagining, like most. :p

marla_biggs
05-10-09, 19:06
^<3
While on the music. This is definetely the best version of this song:
5qYspN41n5s
The classic Disney films are the only films I would watch in the Norwegian dub. They are actually amazing, and not horrible beyond imagining, like most. :p

Wow, listening to this in another language is like discovering it all over again for the first time - lovely! :)

FourBalls
05-10-09, 19:19
I have no problem with adults watching so called kids movies. Actually those kids movies usually have a deeper meaning than "omg it's a pretty cartoon!"

Old cartoons that I used to watch when I was little usually make me nostalgic. Ah good old times :p

Sir Croft
05-10-09, 19:33
There is no problem with watching kids movies, I still watch movies from Pixar or DreamWorks.

BlackRainbow
05-10-09, 20:28
Oh my O_O
I cry when I watch Bambi, but I consider it very sad when they shoot his mom... I didnt wat Ratatouille but I saw its about a rat or something like that, how can you cry over a rat?
Don't ask me, I have no freaking idea. :vlol: He didn't cry because it was sad or something, though. At the end of the movie, I guess he thought it was such a nice ending that he decided to... oh my. *faints*

*richietrent*
05-10-09, 20:45
I bought Robin Hood and Pinnochio today :p

Cant wait to snuggle up and watch them tonight.. But as for adults watching kids films, who cares lol!

voltz
05-10-09, 21:41
How does one feel about watching Fox and the Hound or Secret of NIMH? I can't live without those.

da tomb raider!
05-10-09, 23:02
Yeah, I love kids' films. The Little Mermaid, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Mulan and Pocahontas still "enthall" me today. :cln:

Seriously, though, I like all sorts of kids' films, particularly the older Disney cartoons, and some of the later cartoons and early CGI films. I see nothing wrong with that, either. After all, a film's a film.

patriots88888
05-10-09, 23:33
I remember the first time I watched Ice Age (I was 38 at the time) I was asking myself at the beginning why I was watching this and by 10 minutes into it I wasn't asking myself that anymore. Like others have said, a good mvie is a good movie no matter how you slice it or dice it.

Rai
06-10-09, 00:38
I still like watching some animated movies. I'll sit with my son and watch them. He's 16 and still likes them too. I'm also a fan of Harry Potter, which appeals to kids and adults alike and has done since the first book came out.

A good film is a good film regardless of what genre or audience age it is aimed at.

Azerutan
06-10-09, 00:40
Am I the only one who still watches Goosebumps? :vlol:

I'll never get over them, they're just too funny :D

Tyrannosaurus
06-10-09, 00:42
I would watch animated films for kids, provided they were made by Miyazaki.

I would watch animated films for adults, provided they weren't South Park, the Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, or Tripping the Rift.

Fallen.Angel
06-10-09, 02:02
Both my boyfriend and I are twenty, and these are the movies we prefer, actually. We especially adore the Ice Age movies.

I am not embarassed; never have and never will be. I think it's perfectly acceptable. :D

tranniversary119
06-10-09, 02:04
Kids film's make me happy :) I honestly rarely find somebody who doesn't enjoy them.

kristi
06-10-09, 12:25
I'm just a little bit grown for that,but I LOVE Tom&Jerry,animes and other CLASSIC Disney Movies.

*richietrent*
06-10-09, 18:45
I'm just a little bit grown for that,but I LOVE Tom&Jerry,animes and other CLASSIC Disney Movies.

Snap! I still watch it :p

touchthesky
06-10-09, 19:04
I watch and enjoy tons of movies that are meant for children. I am in love with Disney..I even buy cups/teddies etc :p

Anniversary Lara
08-10-09, 21:31
I love to watch the classical disney movies I liked to watch when I was younger. For example The Little Mermaid, The Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, ... :)

Mai
08-10-09, 22:01
Personally I love it when adults watch kids movies :)

larafan25
08-10-09, 23:07
I don't count as an adult, but I still have kids movies I must watch certain times....

Kiki's Delivery service anytime.

Marry-Kate and Ashley: Double Bubble Toil and Trouble every halloween and To Grandmothers House We go:D

voltz
08-10-09, 23:22
Marry-Kate and Ashley:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1490/facepalm2.jpg