PDA

View Full Version : PSP Go review: Sony is charging you much more for much less

voltz
04-10-09, 22:20
The new, UMD-less PSP Go is an absolute dream for Sony. Since it lacks a way to play games purchased at retail, Sony gets to set the prices for every piece of content bought on the system. Who cares if the store down the street has a game for $10 cheaper? You can only get your games from one place; competition with discounting and used games is gone. Sony will now be selling you every game that goes into the Go's 16GB of storage, and without the ability to buy or sell used games, Sony now owns every single piece of the market with this system. And without an easy way to switch the battery for hacking purposes, piracy won't be as easy.

Like we said, the PSP Go is great for Sony. For the rest of us, retailers included, not so much.

You can read the full article here. (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2009/10/psp-go-review-sony-is-charging-you-much-more-for-much-less.ars) For those of you who are still considering a purchase, consider this a wake-up call.

miss.haggard
04-10-09, 22:24
lulwut? They should know better by now.

Legend of Lara
04-10-09, 22:25
I wasn't going to bother with the PSP Go anyway. Here's hoping that it flops.

Minty Mouth
04-10-09, 22:27
I wasn't going to bother with the PSP Go anyway. Here's hoping that it flops.

While I certainly wont be buying one, I dont hope it flops, because Id rather SONY be successful.

Unfortunately that chance of success is getting slimmer and slimmer.

Legend of Lara
04-10-09, 22:28
While I certainly wont be buying one, I dont hope it flops, because Id rather SONY be successful.

Unfortunately that chance of success is getting slimmer and slimmer.

If it does well then Sony might think that it's a good idea (which it is not) and they'd continue down this road of despair.

Minty Mouth
04-10-09, 22:30
If it does well then Sony might think that it's a good idea (which it is not) and they'd continue down this road of despair.
Yeah, you make a fair point.

I gave up on SONY's handheld consoles years ago anyway, so they can do whatever they want in that respect for all I care.

voltz
04-10-09, 22:33

If that does happen, at best they'll try to push the UMD market out so this becomes our only viable option. :cen:

A sick thing to be following this already is what nintendo is doing with the DSI. They killed GBA comparability and now they're trying to encourage users that downloads are the way to go.... I don't think so.

voltz
04-10-09, 22:35
Yeah, you make a fair point.

I gave up on SONY's handheld consoles years ago anyway, so they can do whatever they want in that respect for all I care.

Ghoul's n' Ghosts and Castlevania X are two titles I wish to play so I can't fully side with this. :(

irjudd
04-10-09, 22:38
I'm sure it'll be a retail success. If I've learned anything from watching technology for the last decade, it's that people buy really stupid things and love them if the marketing makes it sound awesome enough. An amazing example is Steve Jobs "revolutionizing" everything and selling you a $300 computer for $1200 because the case is nice and the Free-BSD operating system is the "worlds most advanced operating system."

Tombreaper
04-10-09, 22:42
I'm sure it'll be a retail success. If I've learned anything from watching technology for the last decade, it's that people buy really stupid things and love them if the marketing makes it sound awesome enough. An amazing example is Steve Jobs "revolutionizing" everything and selling you a $300 computer for $1200 because the case is nice and the Free-BSD operating system is the "worlds most advanced operating system."

That's why the ipod sells so good for example.

Rydell
05-10-09, 02:03

That isn't a fair example. It's actually true, Max OSX is a much better operating system than Windows Vista or even XP. Regardless if the innards of the system are not actually worth what they are charging. You are paying for what you get a much more trouble free stable experience. It is much more accessible and the programs designed by Apple are designed to run on those computers. The programs do what they are meant to do perfectly without any hiccups. (coming from a windows user here).

There is a reason most of the professional world works with Apple computers. I'm not going to even debate what areas of the professional world do. Anyone who really knows what they are talking about realizes that. I.E any professional video editing is done with an Apple based set up. Most Universities run with Apple Computers ect.. Statistical analysis, graphical design.. The list goes on. I'm not saying people do not use Windows based or even other operating system based set ups it's just for the majority Apple is what the professionals are choosing despite it's small market share.

Anyways back on topic.

The PSP Go is going to be pretty much an epic fail. It's already starting to fail.

innocentvenus
05-10-09, 03:04
That isn't a fair example. It's actually true, Max OSX is a much better operating system than Windows Vista or even XP. Regardless if the innards of the system are not actually worth what they are charging. You are paying for what you get a much more trouble free stable experience. It is much more accessible and the programs designed by Apple are designed to run on those computers. The programs do what they are meant to do perfectly without any hiccups. (coming from a windows user here).

There is a reason most of the professional world works with Apple computers. I'm not going to even debate what areas of the professional world do. Anyone who really knows what they are talking about realizes that. I.E any professional video editing is done with an Apple based set up. Most Universities run with Apple Computers ect.. Statistical analysis, graphical design.. The list goes on. I'm not saying people do not use Windows based or even other operating system based set ups it's just for the majority Apple is what the professionals are choosing despite it's small market share.

Anyways back on topic.

The PSP Go is going to be pretty much an epic fail. It's already starting to fail.

Even so, they shouldn't be charging $1200 for something with less specs than a Windows version.

I do happen to like Apple for their style, and since I do art they do have better programs. I would be down for buying from them if their prices were reasonable.

As for the PSPGo, I think it will be a mild success, if that. When Christmas time comes around I think the DSi will kill it for price alone. While it stinks that they did get rid of the GBA port (which I actually don't miss), they aren't doing complete digital downloads, like Sony is.

AmericanAssassin
05-10-09, 05:00
What does it say about me that I don't care? I'd rather pay $10 more for the convenience of having it on my system. ;)

Super Badnik
05-10-09, 09:04
I hope this flops, i mean really flops. Sony need a good kick up the ass, they've seemed to be on a slippery slope throughout this whole generation through their own doing and they don't even seem to care. Anyways, will not be buying, nothing wrong with my regular PSP, except the screen's quite dirty.

TR FAN 18
05-10-09, 09:43
$250? And Sony have the cheek to sell it in the UK for 250?! :hea:
In the US, it would cost about 156. Why should we get charged 94 MORE for a worthless piece of crap handheld? :mad:

PSP Go? More like PSP Go To Hell!

Also, looking at one of the screens, I see that it takes 39 minutes to download Gran Turismo. After that you then have to INSTALL it.
So it could take as much as an HOUR before you can even play a game on this console? Is this a games console or a crappy computer?
Downloading a game on the Wii or 360 is faster than this rubbish.

If I was to get a PSP, I would get the 3000 and stay FAR AWAY from the PSP Go. However, I could care less about the PSP anyway. I'll just stick with my DS, thanks.

Thorir
05-10-09, 09:44
I hope it flops too. :)

There's nothing wrong with the regular PSP.

LightningRider
05-10-09, 10:17
I don't see what was wrong with the PSP at all, but they go do this. :rolleyes:

Oh well, wasn't gonna buy it anyway. ;)

EgyptianSoul
05-10-09, 11:42
This could be just a small step in the greater picture. Sony wants to see are people ready for digital downloads only. Eliminating all physical media altogether. No more games on discs, just downloads for ridiculous prices.

That would kill the used games market. It would be very bad for us, the customers.

I believe that is what the future will bring.

irjudd
05-10-09, 13:18

Anyways back on topic.

The PSP Go is going to be pretty much an epic fail. It's already starting to fail.You sound like a direct copy/paste from an Apple forum to be honest. The myth that OSX is more stable than windows and that the system is better suited to video editing and graphic design was created by Apple marketing/PR. Any tech reports you read will always tell you that Apple has a harder time penetrating the corporate market.

And to steer that thought into the topic, it's still a perfect example of marketing success. If Sony manages to convince people that digital distribution is "WAY MORE CONVENIENT!" ... people will buy the hell out of it.

da tomb raider!
05-10-09, 14:08
Indeed, the PSP Go just doesn't seem to do much good for customers or retailers, only Sony. And if you ask me, it's good to see that some people here are shunning the console. Hopefully, the vast majority of gamers around the world will do the same, and the PSP Go won't take off. I know that probably sounds harsh and whatnot, and normally I wouldn't wish any company to have a failure on their hands (least of all Sony, who have got enough troubles as it is, and are great in the hardware business when they actually do things right), but if the PSP Go does become successful, that probably means that we'll be seeing more consoles like this, handhelds or otherwise.

Not only does that mean that companies can charge whatever they want for games, it would also mark the end of the preowned games market, which is obviously hugely affecting to both retailers and customers. The Collectors Edition of some games won't be the same again, either (no more tin cases, for a start :p ). And worst of all, I think, is that if the PSP Go does manage to take off, then perhaps the consoles that follow also won't have a disc slot, which means no more backwards compatibility for disc-based games. In such an event, I can say goodbye to all of my trusty PS1 and PS2 games, which would quite frankly be horrific. Unless, of course, they're available to download, but that's still no good to me because I can't download things, plus there's no way I'm throwing out my entire PS1 and PS2 game collection and replacing it all with digital versions. As well as costing who knows how much, I have no intention of making all of my games, some years old and in great condition, obsolete.

So sorry, Sony, but for the sake of a better future for gaming, I hope the PSP Go is about as successful as the Atari Lynx (not very, in case you were wondering). Fortunately, however, that seems to be the case. Time will tell...

tidusffxwakka
05-10-09, 14:30
well vg247 is reporting the pspgo's launch is successful as it sold 100% more.

“PSPgo has performed in line with our expectations, driving 100 per cent incremental volume for the category and has benefited the broad PSP portfolio with PSP-3000 also enjoying a big lift.

Tombreaper
05-10-09, 15:11
Hmmm, thanks to the PSPGo I have downloaded already tons of new stuff onto my PSP 3000.

250 is a little expensive, but at 199 I buy a PSPGo too.

Why are there people complaining about the download only feature of the Go?
Is the ipod or iphone any different or something.

And at least Sony offers the consumer a choice: if you don't want a PSPGo, you still can buy a PSP3000 and games on UMD.
The Go isn't replace the exsisting PSP, it's just a nice alternative.

I really don't see the problem.

Legend of Lara
05-10-09, 15:16
Hmmm, thanks to the PSPGo I have downloaded already tons of new stuff onto my PSP 3000.

250 is a little expensive, but at 199 I buy a PSPGo too.

Why are there people complaining about the download only feature of the Go?
Is the ipod or iphone any different or something.

And at least Sony offers the consumer a choice: if you don't want a PSPGo, you still can buy a PSP3000 and games on UMD.
The Go isn't replace the exsisting PSP, it's just a nice alternative.

I really don't see the problem.

And that's where you're wrong. Sony are effectively testing the waters to see if a digital-only system is a good idea. (which it is not) If it sells well, they'll probably discontinue UMDs and the PSP3000 altogether.

Tombreaper
05-10-09, 15:27
And that's where you're wrong. Sony are effectively testing the waters to see if a digital-only system is a good idea. (which it is not) If it sells well, they'll probably discontinue UMDs and the PSP3000 altogether.

I agree, I don't want digital download only systems either, that's why I hate the ipod.
I've already downloaded 6GB of digital content from the PS Store, but buyed Gran Turismo on UMD because it was a limited edition pack, and games like Crisis Core and Dissidia belong on UMD's too.
Makes it feel a liitle cheap if they were download only.

But you should check out Sony's official announcements regularly, they are not going to drop the 3000 system and UMD.

In fact, support for the UMD PSP is better than ever.

voltz
05-10-09, 22:00
PSP may be better because of this, but like the saying goes "once you get your foot in the door..."

I never liked ipod either so I decided to buy creative zen and just rip all my tracks to library. No good reason comes out of being charged twice for something you own.

toxicraider
05-10-09, 22:09
No thankyou, I think the PSP is system that you don't really need, it really has had nothing on offer for me ever since launch, especially at 225. Perhaps my daily commute isn't lengthy enough to warrant playing full games that could be played on a console.

I also don't like the idea of downloading games, because my internet is so slow!

Tombreaper
05-10-09, 22:38
Well, maybe you don't like certain games you can only play on the PSP.

And as far as the system goes, it's one of the better devices around.
Maybe that's why already 54 million people have bought the PSP.

voltz
05-10-09, 22:41
I agree.

toxicraider
05-10-09, 22:52
Well, maybe you don't like certain games you can only play on the PSP.

And as far as the system goes, it's one of the better devices around.
Maybe that's why already 54 million people have bought the PSP.

You're right, it was trashy :o

I think it's that a lot of the games aren't the kind you would play for a few minutes on the bus, or waiting for a TV show etc. I just prefer playing full games on a console/PC, although there are some games like Patapon and Loco Roco that look enjoyable for snippets of fun (just not enough for me to buy one).
I know I'm missing out on games like GoW:CoO, which do look amazing, but I could spend the money on a 360 and I think I'd probably get more enjoyment out of it.

I am still staggered at the cost of the PSPGo, though. I know Sony sell the PS3 at little profit/ a loss, but it ought to be much cheaper!
Maybe they should have named it something else :o

Agent 47
05-10-09, 22:52
PSP Go is over priced when you consider the price of a PS3 Slim and 360 equivalent :(

if the device was say 50 or 60 cheaper i'd consider one :D

Spong
08-10-09, 03:20
PSPgo will fail miserably (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/pspgo-will-fail-miserably-mccabe_3)

Stumbled on that story and thought I'd post it here. I have no interest in the new PSP myself.

Tommy123
08-10-09, 03:38
i dont see a point in it anyway. It doset seem to be any different from the first one so why buy this psp crap on the go

AmericanAssassin
08-10-09, 04:56
How sad this is. I was looking forward to purchasing one. I guess I'll wait to see what happens. I don't want to buy one and have them die out. :pi:

scoopy_loopy
08-10-09, 08:49
As if the thing will sell. What about all the people that have download caps? or have ****ty slow internet?

People in Australia quailify for both those! There goes whole countries of people who probably wont bother with a "Go"... :rolleyes:

Megalith
08-10-09, 14:03
As if the thing will sell. What about all the people that have download caps? or have ****ty slow internet?

People in Australia quailify for both those! There goes whole countries of people who probably wont bother with a "Go"... :rolleyes:

Well all these people if they are really interested in a PSP system they can buy the 3000 model and have all their games on UMD's.
Problem solved?

Legend of Lara
08-10-09, 17:54
Well all these people if they are really interested in a PSP system they can buy the 3000 model and have all their games on UMD's.
Problem solved?

Not for Sony. The PSP3000 would outsell the Go, therefore making it all a colossal waste of money.

But Sony are familiar with that sort of thing... :p

scoopy_loopy
09-10-09, 07:56
Problem solved?

Not for Sony. The PSP3000 would outsell the Go, therefore making it all a colossal waste of money.

There's my answer :wve:

Megalith
09-10-09, 12:55
There's my answer :wve:

Then i guess you are a Sony executive who just worries about the well being of your company,right?:p

And i really can't see how the PSPgo can be a "colossal loss of money" for Sony.It's an experiment.If they see they are loosing money they'll stop production and continue the support of the 3000 series.
As i previously said many people who are not familiar with the system are mistakingly thinking that the PSP go is the "PSP 2" which will replace the older models.Well,guess what:it's not.

As Tombreaper said before PSP owners of both old versions and new ones are already benefiting tremendously from all the content Sony recently released with PSP go's launch and i'm sure they will continue releasing even more.
So i really don't see what's the problem from a PSP owner perspective.

Tombreaper
09-10-09, 20:14

Another lame post. Sony isn't wasting money, it's a grown up company of major importance to the industry.

Go! (:)) and inform yourself on Bloomberg.com for example.
(Bloomberg.com is regarded as a premier site for company news and company financial information).

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&tkr=6758%3AJP&sid=aRqbThMzHIV0

Samsdad
09-10-09, 20:36
Another lame post. Sony isn't wasting money, it's a grown up company of major importance to the industry.

Go! (:)) and inform yourself on Bloomberg.com for example.
(Bloomberg.com is regarded as a premier site for company news and company financial information).

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&tkr=6758%3AJP&sid=aRqbThMzHIV0

The Bloomberg article was rather anemic and did not say much. Sony is probably still bleeding money. The likelihood is that the PS3 Slim is selling at a lose. How much is unknown but is probably in the $50 range. The profit from sales of the PSP go will help to offset it but the gaming division's report for next quarter is still going to be brutal.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5487&mp=1

Fallen.Angel
09-10-09, 20:43
Boo. I never thought I would say this, but I'm really getting annoyed with Sony.