PDA

View Full Version : SIMS 3 Stuttering on a GeForce GTS 250 -- Well Done EA!!

Hawke1000
07-10-09, 13:29
Alright, so I got The SIMS 3 hoping to have some time of joie de vivre after an excrutiating experience with Batman Arkham Asylum (Which Crashes on launch, "General protection fault") and still isn't running, I installed The SIMS 3, updated it to the latest patch, cranked everything to the maximum...VOILA!! It gives around 70-120 FPS when I'm playing and stutters so much when I scroll that I just stopped playing it, My Computer is good enough to annihilate this game at the highest settings:

Core 2 Duo @ 2.66GHz (E8200)
4GB RAM
GeForce GTS 250

Does anybody have any idea about what's happening? I'm totally annoyed now, please if anyone has any solution, help me out here; I've checked other forums, NO its not the computer, not my HDD or anything, forced V-Sync via nVIDIA control panel, tried everything, there's something wrong with the game.

HELP!!

Thanks

Lara Fan 4Life
07-10-09, 13:47
Click herr to see if your computer will be able ro run the game - http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

JonnyT
07-10-09, 14:07
I have the nVidia GeForce GTS 250 and everythings fine. I even have a slightly lower spec processor than you. So, I'm not entirely sure why this is happening to you. :-/ Maybe you could try updating your drivers from the nVidia website?

irjudd
07-10-09, 14:42
...NO its not the computer...
Yes it is. It has to be. Why else would other people be able to play both games just fine? Please run Ardiag.exe (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/ardiag.exe) and post the report for further investigation.
Click herr to see if your computer will be able ro run the game - http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/His machine is clearly above minimum requirements.

badboy70
07-10-09, 14:55
Have you installed the latest drivers for your video card?

Hawke1000
07-10-09, 15:29
Yes it is. It has to be. Why else would other people be able to play both games just fine? Please run Ardiag.exe (http://www.tombraiderhub.com/download/ardiag.exe) and post the report for further investigation.

It isn't the computer, it's happening with a lot of people and so far the cause is unknown, people having ATI GPUs such as the HD 4890 are also having the exact same issue, however the only thing I know (Not sure though), is that people having Windows XP aren't facing this problem, only VISTA users are facing it.

I'll run ardiag.exe and post ASAP nonetheless, Thanks.

Lavinder
07-10-09, 15:40
Have you got these?

Windows XP Drivers (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_191.07_whql_uk.html)

Vista Drivers (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7_winvista_32bit_191.07_whql_uk.html)

*richietrent*
07-10-09, 18:01
Try playing it without the update.

Admles
07-10-09, 19:23
Shouldn't this be in the tech support forum?

Hawke1000
08-10-09, 10:10
Have you installed the latest drivers for your video card?

Have you got these?

Windows XP Drivers (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_191.07_whql_uk.html)

Vista Drivers (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7_winvista_32bit_191.07_whql_uk.html)

Yeah I have the latest drivers, thanks though

Try playing it without the update.

As a matter of fact, my game wasn't stuttering when it wasn't patched, any ideas what I should do now? should I play it without the patches? but I'll have to patch it eventually, isn't there a better solution? Thanks ;)

Sir Croft
08-10-09, 10:38
The problem is likely to be your computer, Sims 3 runs perfectly on my 8800GT, no stuttering at all. Try reinstalling the game and dont patch it, if it still lags, try reinstalling the latest drivers for your GPU. Also check if there's any program running in the background that may be eating your RAM.

*richietrent*
08-10-09, 13:13
As a matter of fact, my game wasn't stuttering when it wasn't patched, any ideas what I should do now? should I play it without the patches? but I'll have to patch it eventually, isn't there a better solution? Thanks ;)

It doesn't matter how powerful your computer is, i personally feel they need to work on their updates for this game! I played it a while ago (my brother in law has his own IT company), so he gets laptops to thie highest standard, but anyway, i tried to add this update and nothing happend with the game, it froze on starting and was like 3fps - bad times! I don't know how to work around this problem, unless you contact EA Games about it, or look up the FAQ! i didn't play the game for long so didn't need to update it... but i'll try and have a look around for you, thats if you haven't sorted it yet? :ton:

Larapink
08-10-09, 13:40
Maybe because you don't really have 4GB of RAM if your using Xp/Vista Home the maximum amount of RAM that can be used on those OEM's is 1GB also update your Graphics Cards if all else fails then it could be a problem with your CPU. :)

I currently run The Sims 3 with Duel 8800 GTX cards and the game runs perfectly. :)

irjudd
08-10-09, 13:43
Maybe because you don't really have 4GB of RAM if your using Xp/Vista Home the maximum amount of RAM that can be used on those OEM's is 1GB also update your Graphics Cards if all else fails then it could be a problem with your CPU. :)

I've never ever heard of this. In fact, I currently have access to over 10 computers running either Vista Home or XP Home and they all either have 2GB or 4GB of RAM. :confused:

Larapink
08-10-09, 13:44
I've never ever heard of this. In fact, I currently have access to over 10 computers running either Vista Home or XP Home and they all either have 2GB or 4GB of RAM. :confused:
Alright then 2GB at the most on those OEM's.

irjudd
08-10-09, 13:48
Alright then 2GB at the most on those OEM's.
But it being an OEM shouldn't make a difference at all. Again, some of the machines I admin have 4GB and are Home editions.

XP/Vista home and pro editions shouldn't affect the memory address space at all.

Larapink
08-10-09, 13:54
But it being an OEM shouldn't make a difference at all. Again, some of the machines I admin have 4GB and are Home editions.

XP/Vista home and pro editions shouldn't affect the memory address space at all.
As far as I know the Vista Home editions do not use all of the 4GB of Ram because they are 32bit Operating Systems. Microsoft lies sometimes..:p

irjudd
08-10-09, 13:56
As far as I know the Vista Home editions do not use all of the 4GB of Ram because they are 32bit Operating Systems. Microsoft lies sometimes..:p

Well that would be true if you had Vista Home 32bit, you'd be limited to a maximum of 4GB but usable memory usually caps at 3.5GB. But the OP probably has Vista Home x64. :p

Larapink
08-10-09, 13:59
Well that would be true if you had Vista Home 32bit, you'd be limited to a maximum of 4GB but usable memory usually caps at 3.5GB. But the OP probably has Vista Home x64. :p
Yes they might just have that OS. :)

Well Ultimate is the best! :jmp: lol

tombofwinston
08-10-09, 14:35
The Physical amount that any 32 Bit (Normal) Operating system can Handle is 4 Gb, But as Irjudd said you can only use 3.5 Gb or So because Windows Reserves about half a Gb for the Operating system, Vista actually uses more RAM for the Operating System than XP Though.
64 Bit can handle up to 17.2 billion gigabytes of RAM.

Anyway this Problem is quite common, With people with Monster Computers, (E.g Core i7s and 295 GTXs) Experiencing terrible Lag and getting less performance than people with Built-in Chipsets.
If it works better without the patch then Re-Install the game, Better to play with Bugs than not at all.
May I also sugest AwsomeMod, It fixes alot more bugs than the official version and some added features too, With No Lagging problems (That I know of).

Hawke1000
08-10-09, 18:03
It doesn't matter how powerful your computer is, i personally feel they need to work on their updates for this game! I played it a while ago (my brother in law has his own IT company), so he gets laptops to thie highest standard, but anyway, i tried to add this update and nothing happend with the game, it froze on starting and was like 3fps - bad times! I don't know how to work around this problem, unless you contact EA Games about it, or look up the FAQ! i didn't play the game for long so didn't need to update it... but i'll try and have a look around for you, thats if you haven't sorted it yet? :ton:

I'm with you all the way, the patches have some bad coding in them, could be conflicting with the game; I think it might be because of memory leaks?

Nope, haven't sorted it yet, thanks a ton man! :D ;)

Hawke1000
08-10-09, 18:06

32-BIT operating systems can only use upto 3.5 GB of RAM, i.e if you have VISTA/XP-32 BIT installed; your computer has above 3 GB of RAM, it'll still use 3.5 GB at max as the rest is reserved for the OS. ;)

Hawke1000
08-10-09, 18:09
The Physical amount that any 32 Bit (Normal) Operating system can Handle is 4 Gb, But as Irjudd said you can only use 3.5 Gb or So because Windows Reserves about half a Gb for the Operating system, Vista actually uses more RAM for the Operating System than XP Though.
64 Bit can handle up to 17.2 billion gigabytes of RAM.

Anyway this Problem is quite common, With people with Monster Computers, (E.g Core i7s and 295 GTXs) Experiencing terrible Lag and getting less performance than people with Built-in Chipsets.
If it works better without the patch then Re-Install the game, Better to play with Bugs than not at all.
May I also sugest AwsomeMod, It fixes alot more bugs than the official version and some added features too, With No Lagging problems (That I know of).

Thanks a lot mate, will definitely look into it ;)

SORRY FOR THE TRIPPLE POST, I JUST REALIZED I DID THAT!! LOL :D

Larapink
08-10-09, 19:08
I'm with you all the way, the patches have some bad coding in them, could be conflicting with the game; I think it might be because of memory leaks?

Nope, haven't sorted it yet, thanks a ton man! :D ;)

32-BIT operating systems can only use upto 3.5 GB of RAM, i.e if you have VISTA/XP-32 BIT installed; your computer has above 3 GB of RAM, it'll still use 3.5 GB at max as the rest is reserved for the OS. ;)

Thanks a lot mate, will definitely look into it ;)

SORRY FOR THE TRIPPLE POST, I JUST REALIZED I DID THAT!! LOL :D
Dayyymmn.. next time use the multi-quote feature it's there for a reason! I just used it to qoute all of your posts! :p