PDA

View Full Version : Do you think love is only a two way thing?

Phlip
08-10-09, 00:41
For example if you thought you loved someone but they didn't love you back, would the love you have for them be real? If they did love you back then would it only be real?

Tommy123
08-10-09, 00:44
Love is a feeling that you have for someone that you cant take away even if they dont like you back. Love can exsist even if the person dosent like you back. Love is the feeling you get when you can see yourself with that person forever. So imo love is real even if the person dosent like you

Spong
08-10-09, 00:44
You can love someone if they don't love you, it doesn't make it any less real. It's just unrequited.

Phlip
08-10-09, 00:45
Well that's a real heartbreaker. =/

AmericanAssassin
Love is often a one way thing. Unfortunately. It would be easier if it had to be two ways. :p

TRhalloween
Yes. I don't see why not.

Thorir
One way thing.
It doesn't have to be returned.

You can love a lot of people through your life, no matter what they think of you.
It's still real.

Uzi master
does that man you guys approve of poligamy (Spelling?)

Phlip
08-10-09, 00:49
But I don't get why it's a one way thing as well as two way. If you're sure someone's your soulmate then they should know too, otherwise it's not right is it?

Fallen.Angel
08-10-09, 00:50
Yes, because I still am in love with my ex.

Larapink
08-10-09, 00:57
Yes in many ways love is a two way thing, but other times love takes a while to develop. I normally believe in love at first sight, so if I am not attracted to the when I first see them thats the way I feel about them all the time. First impressions do count!

AmericanAssassin
08-10-09, 00:59
I've been in love with the same girl for years now. She's perfect. I love her positive points and her flaws. She doesn't feel the same way. :(

Phlip
08-10-09, 01:00
I've been in love with the same girl for years now. She's perfect. I love her positive points and her flaws. She doesn't feel the same way. :(

And that's where post #9 comes in. :confused: :(

larafan25
08-10-09, 01:03
But I don't get why it's a one way thing as well as two way. If you're sure someone's your soulmate then they should know too, otherwise it's not right is it?

who's to say you cannot have more than one soulmate....

you can still have feelings for more than one person and love more than one person, and then you are just lucky if one of them recibricates that love back to you:)

Heckler
08-10-09, 01:10
Well...Of course its a two way thing....

Love that only comes from the one side will 80% of the time lead to heartbreak.

How can two people compromise in a relationship if they do not love eachother equally....

If you should ever get yourself into a relationship where the person doesnt love you....Get out of it immediately..

Some people claim they are happy with a partner/spouse who dont love them back....But deep down they are wrecked and depressed.

A person who commits him/herself in a one way relationship is a sucker for punishment.

violentblossom
08-10-09, 01:11
You can love someone if they don't love you, it doesn't make it any less real. It's just unrequited.

Wut teh Spong sed. :tmb:

larafan25
08-10-09, 01:14
Well...Of course its a two way thing....

Love that only comes from the one side will 80% of the time lead to heartbreak.

How can two people compromise in a relationship if they do not love eachother equally....

If you should ever get yourself into a relationship where the person doesnt love you....Get out of it immediately..

Some people claim they are happy with a partner/spouse who dont love them back....But deep down they are wrecked and depressed.

A person who commits him/herself in a one way relationship is a sucker for punishment.

I fully agree with this, and this is good for people to know when they are asking the question in this thread....

you don't want to trick yourself into a relationship where only one person shows love or commitment....

Ikas90
08-10-09, 03:24
Of course one-sided love is real. Probably more common than two-sided.

Finding true two-sided love is like winning the lottery. It exists, but you have to be lucky to find it. ;)

AmericanAssassin
08-10-09, 03:31
And that's where post #9 comes in. :confused: :(

People's love works differently according to each person. She may love me some day. I just fell for her first. :)

CuteKittenlol
08-10-09, 05:52
Well that's a real heartbreaker. =/

Damn right it is lol

Draco
08-10-09, 06:20
I thought you were going to talk about love triangles and quadrangles.

xXhayleyroxXx
08-10-09, 06:27
Love is a feeling that you have for someone that you cant take away even if they dont like you back. Love can exsist even if the person dosent like you back. Love is the feeling you get when you can see yourself with that person forever. So imo love is real even if the person dosent like you

this :hug:

wdavid
08-10-09, 06:36

Same here:( I'm just a good friend for her:(

CerebralAssassin
08-10-09, 07:08
yup it's usually a one way thing...you just fall for the people that can't reciprocate.doesn't make it any less real though.

tonyme
08-10-09, 07:45
Two-way thing and the best darn thing in this world!

Rivendell
08-10-09, 07:50
For example if you thought you loved someone but they didn't love you back, would the love you have for them be real?

Yes.
My best mate tried to convince me otherwise once - that true love was only true if it was reciprocated.
Balls. Love is love - you know how you feel.

john_york
08-10-09, 08:06
Love is love, whether reciprocated or not. It (sadly) does not have to be, and often is not, a two-way thing.

(ha - copied Chris and didn't even realise! get outta my head, Welshboy!)

Dennis's Mom
08-10-09, 12:36
I think that love is one way. To think otherwise implies a tit-for-tat kind of relationship. If you love someone, you simply love them "and you owe me nothing in return."

However, reciprocated love is obviously different from unrequited love. It's a completely different animal, like parent/child love is different.

tampi
08-10-09, 12:47
NO.
I have madly loved someone and that person not feel the same about me. :(
This has happened to me several times. :rolleyes::o
My love was still true.

You can play "frontón" too:p

http://i37.************/15yd9nn.jpg

MiCkiZ88
08-10-09, 12:52
Definitely not only two way. I've fallen in love with three persons, and I still feel for them even though they do not feel that for me. But my boyfriend and I.. it's complicated. We don't say: I love you, all the time. We know it excists and we say it on special situations just to give it more emphasis that we truly love eachother. Though often we compete who loves one more.. :p

CroftGameGirl
08-10-09, 16:58
For example if you thought you loved someone but they didn't love you back, would the love you have for them be real? If they did love you back then would it only be real?

I definately think so. I like someone, but they don't like me back (in the same way) however, I still like them. Note: I don't think it has to be love; it can be a crush too i guess. :p

I think you'll know this when you say you still love them ;]

irishhips
08-10-09, 17:01
Well, I still in love with my female best friend. But I will have to move on though.

Alex Shepherd
08-10-09, 17:04
Love happens is when you'll never have a chance to get this person or to live with him forever and thats always happen with me...

Love is always real even if he don't love you back, until if you told him that you do and then he replied that he do, that means it's a fake, he said it not to break your heart or something...

Unfortunatily... Nowadays we start to love people who hate us, and hate people who love us...

jackles
08-10-09, 17:10
Try having kids...you love them to bits and all they do is moan at how awful you are by expecting them to do as they told etc..blah blah blah.

Yes of course love is real even if it is unrequited. I loved my husband but had to let him go when he didn't love me any more. Didn't make my feelings any less valid.

xXhayleyroxXx
08-10-09, 17:16
Try having kids...you love them to bits and all they do is moan at how awful you are by expecting them to do as they told etc..blah blah blah.

Yes of course love is real even if it is unrequited. I loved my husband but had to let him go when he didn't love me any more. Didn't make my feelings any less valid.

aww thats really sad! very sad indeed

im young but i know im in love - im 17 so i know i might be critised for this but here go's...

iv liked this guy 4 years from the moment i met him - w'eve never been in a relationship but theres always been an ongoing interest. The truth of the matter is i think like an adult and he thinks like a 15 year old boy who cares what his friends think. I sincerely hope he gets over it soon so we can go out and see if we work.

I know i love him, and maybe i shouldnt; but iv tried loving other people and it just doesnt work because i never stop thinking about him.
*sigh* but i know i love him and il wait many more years for him, he knows how i feel btw.
xx

Lavinder
08-10-09, 17:20

How could someone not love you? You're an amazing woman, :hug:.

jamieoliver22
08-10-09, 17:21
How could someone not love you? You're an amazing woman, :hug:.

I love you Jackles :hug:

jackles
08-10-09, 17:33
:):hug: Thank you Laura.

You sure you meant ME jamie???

:D

Actually being with my ex taught me that you can't make people love you if they don't want too and sometimes you just have to let them go free. :)

Endow
08-10-09, 18:22

young Lara Croft
08-10-09, 18:47
Ideal love is a myth, you can love and be prepared to give all but if the person you love doesn't love like you do then it will break you and you will suffer, especially if the other person is selfish!

violentblossom
08-10-09, 18:49
I love you also, Jackles. :hug:

Fairy tale love isn't real. Everyone has flaws, and there will always be fights.

Love is about compromise, trust, and forgiveness. It should be a two way thing, but the sad part is that it usually isn't.

Cloe Christina
08-10-09, 18:52
yes of course it can .... but loving someone without their love in return must be so hard .....

Encore
08-10-09, 18:53
I think when you're in love with someone that doesn't care about you eventually your interest will die down as well because there's nothing to keep it alive. But maybe this thing I'm talking about is not what other people perceive as love. How can I know these things?:p

woody543
08-10-09, 19:00

Ofcourse you can love someone if they don't love you back, they're your feelings, its not like you need someone else's permision to love them, you can't help it.

Loving someone and being someones soulmate however, are to me different things, you don't have to be someones soulmate to love them, (and I personally don't believe in soulmates) however soulmates would be classed as an only two-way thing, love as a feeling is not.

Nerd For Life
08-10-09, 19:14
I think when you're in love with someone that doesn't care about you eventually your interest will die down as well because there's nothing to keep it alive. But maybe this thing I'm talking about is not what other people perceive as love. How can I know these things?:p

Trust me, you'll know when it happens... bah, love... :hea:

And no, I don't think it's only a two way thing. Not at all.

Nenya awakens
08-10-09, 19:19

when you are in love with someone who is a best friend but has no romantic feelings towards you it's hell. how do you get over something like that.

Nerd For Life
08-10-09, 19:20
when you are in love with someone who is a best friend but has no romantic feelings towards you it's hell. how do you get over something like that.

That's sometimes the worst kind of thing that can happen. Love-wise, that is.

Quasimodo
08-10-09, 19:24
About the unrequited love thing - do you suppose it's possible to be in love with someone but not actually love them?

Nerd For Life
08-10-09, 19:27
About the unrequited love thing - do you suppose it's possible to be in love with someone but not actually love them?

How do you define 'in love' and 'love' them? :p

I'd think the opposite... I think there's a different between loving someone and being in love with that person.

Nenya awakens
08-10-09, 19:28
That's sometimes the worst kind of thing that can happen. Love-wise, that is.

How you get over someone who you see all the time, that loves you, but just not in the way you'd like.

It's not something i'd wish so go through again.

Catapharact
08-10-09, 19:29
How you get over someone who you see all the time, that loves you, but just not in the way you'd like.

To put it in a very harsh manner:

Too bad... So sad.

And I don't mean it on your account. I just have had very bad experiences with people who don't understand the meaning of the word "No!"

Nerd For Life
08-10-09, 19:32

It's not something i'd wish so go through again.

Not romantic love, you mean? Oh well.. I've been through that. I just decided to move on. Oh yes it hurt, but I eventually did it.

I just have had very bad experiences with people who don't understand the meaning of the word "No!"

Same here. I had a crazy stalker sometime ago.

Nenya awakens
08-10-09, 19:58
To put it in a very harsh manner:

Too bad... So sad.

And I don't mean it on your account. I just have had very bad experiences with people who don't understand the meaning of the word "No!"

I get where you are coming from, and looking at from the other persons point of view it must be hard work to have someone you care about be in love with you.

I certainly would not want to be put in that situation, im not sure how i would handle it, especially if it was my best friend.

Encore
08-10-09, 21:17
Trust me, you'll know when it happens... bah, love... :hea:

Yes, I'm training myself so that I'll be ready when I go to the retirement home. :)
:p

I would say that logically the best thing would be to stop seeing that person or at least not see them as much.

Nerd For Life
08-10-09, 21:28
I would say that logically the best thing would be to stop seeing that person or at least not see them as much.

Thanks, Mr. Spock.

That's what I did. I stopped seeing that person. Of course the fact he slept with two people I was friends with at the time helped that decision... and the decision of stepping away from those two 'friends' followed. :p

Nenya awakens
08-10-09, 21:43

If the person in question is a very close friend and someone you are close with its not as easy as just that. It's a hard situation having to explain to someone who cares for you that you cant be around them any more because you feel something for them.

Rai
08-10-09, 22:43

That is a really good question and I think it is possible. The way I see it is being in love happens in the earlier stages, whereas actually loving someone takes more time, it is something that grows deeper with time. The in love stage changes to something more meaningful. Maybe that is what is actually happening with unrequited love. You can fall in love with someone and that love can feel intense, but you can get there before your partner or feel it with someone you're not in a relationship with and is mistaken perhaps for the deeper love you get later on.

Love becomes a two way thing grown over much time time together.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
08-10-09, 22:48
That is a really good question and I think it is possible. The way I see it is being in love happens in the earlier stages, whereas actually loving someone takes more time, it is something that grows deeper with time. The in love stage changes to something more meaningful. Maybe that is what is actually happening with unrequited love. You can fall in love with someone and that love can feel intense, but you can get there before your partner or feel it with someone you're not in a relationship with and is mistaken perhaps for the deeper love you get later on.

Love becomes a two way thing grown over much time time together.

Very true. Same thing happens when you're with someone, there's an "in love" phase that lasts about 12~18 months and it mostly hormone driven. If you make it past that stage, then it's pretty good evidence that you truly love the other person, because the high wore off and now all you have is the other person. This is also the reason relationships fizzle out after this same time period - The passion is gone and people no longer want to work to make the relationship last.

However if you're not with someone I'd call it more an infatuation than love.

Phlip
08-10-09, 22:49
I don't se how the passion for someone can actually just go. You loved them in the beginning for a reason.

Spong
08-10-09, 22:54
I don't se how the passion for someone can actually just go. You loved them in the beginning for a reason.

It doesn't go. Certainly not when it comes to unrequited love anyway. You just learn to "turn your back on it".

Sgt BOMBULOUS
08-10-09, 22:54

I never said you stopped loving them... To be blunt, it's the human bodies way of driving procreation. Hormones take over and... make things happen. But those hormones stop working at the same levels after a duration, usually about 12-18 months. You can still have passion, it just won't be as frequent as it was in the beginning.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
08-10-09, 23:17
It doesn't go. Certainly not when it comes to unrequited love anyway. You just learn to "turn your back on it".

I agree with you... Questions like this are rarely hypothetical. I think in the case of a crush (may or may not be the case here), if there really is no chance of the other person loving you, it's best to spend your time elsewhere. Besides, if they don't love you for who you are they're not worth it are they?