PDA

View Full Version : In the name of tradition - how far would people go?

Azerutan
08-10-09, 09:23
Oou3N5ylvdI&

Simply comment what you see with the title of this thread.
If there is already a topic for this issue, please, close this one.

:)

Rai
08-10-09, 09:57
When the video started I was taken with the the Faroe's, their sense of tradition, community. This is how the islanders choose to live and they're mostly free from outside influence and that is something to respect.

And then I saw the tradition of whale culling. Whilst I understand that this practice was once their only real way of survival, now it is done purely for tradition and 'fun'. It is a person's birth-right to have their share of the meat and is a treat for the children. Who am I to comment on a tradition I don't fully understand? Well I can still be outraged by it. Tradition or otherwise, this is barbaric way to treat endangered creatures. It is no longer necessary for the survival of the island and its people, it serves no other purpose. With the meat becoming contaminated, it is also less 'healthy' for them to eat it. Now the fact there is contamination can't be ignored. The chemicals are from the outside world and the effects of industry etc, but that is a separate issue from this topic. The whales are still being slaughtered unnecessarily. The method might be quick, but the whales are still hunted down and dragged to the shore.

The rest of the video continued with telling how other traditions, like the Faroe language and religion was once interfered with by the Danish authorities. That is wrong too and I am glad the islanders are reclaiming it. These people are happy on their island and should be free to live how they want to, with minimal outside interference. They seem to be thriving and is doing so in other ways other than the whale culling, making it even less necessary.

Mad Tony
08-10-09, 15:39
Don't see anything wrong with it personally.

Mokono
08-10-09, 15:59
I guess certain traditions should be re-adapted in order to keep the identity of it's people untouched, but at the same time permitting an evolution of it's people rather than the stagnation of what might seem to be an obsolote costume. Over here we have bullfighting, wich is something we do since the XVI century, it's part of Spanish tradition, and the festivity itself is very colorful and encourages pride in some citizens. But how much are we disposed to pay in order to preserve that tradition? The way the stockades wound the bull is brutal, and so it's the reaction of activists to stop bullfighting. However, the way they had expressed themselves is illegal, and the authorities have reasons enough now to bann them from conferences and appealings. Now, there are other traditions that involves human beings like clitoridectomy (Female genital mutilation) that takes part in some African countries. It's a religious and cultural activity, but is that really an excuse to keep doing so to the girls? Now, if someone here claims that "this is why all traditions must be swapped in order to make place to the high and developed globalized western culture" then i won't see anything but a huge ignorance and disdain towards everything foreign to them. This kind of problem must be discussed diplomatically and, if proven wrong, be solved the best way possible (without alienating foraign cultures).

Encore
08-10-09, 16:11
I think tradition is often used, as a big fat hipocrisy, to excuse for barbaric behaviour while other "non traditional" things like cell phones and fast food are happily embraced when they're convenient.
Want the perfect example? Female genital mutilation in Africa. :hea:

Human beings are suposed to evolve. It's nice to keep a sense of cultural identity but not at the expense of human rights or, in the case of this thread, at the expense of natural balance. Some things are more important than others.

xXhayleyroxXx
08-10-09, 17:26
i think it's disgusting tbh. whales are a dying race of mammals - fast on their way to extinction. Its unhumane & wrong.

Tradition can be a wonderful thing but it doesnt have to be celebrated like this - like christingle on xmas eave and Christmas and the events we have throughout the year.

Mokono
08-10-09, 17:33
Human beings are suposed to evolve. It's nice to keep a sense of cultural identity but not at the expense of human rights or, in the case of this thread, at the expense of natural balance. Some things are more important than others.

I fully agree with this part, but i don't think cellphones and junkfood are supposed to be evolution. Keep in mind that, for the lifestyle of certain cultures, they're irrelevant and not as convenient as they are for us. The main debate in the subject going between communitarists and conservatives is whether the Human Rights are fully universal or not, since values taken from it had been taken from the most representative groups. Yet, i think we all agree about health concerns and the value of life, so i don't think extending this conscience to these groups is not a cultural rip-off.

larafan25
08-10-09, 17:42
I cannot watch the video but I gather people are eating whales???

I would in no way call it inhuman, I eat chicken sometimes, people eat cows....lions eat people....

it's not inhuman, it's just not the best thing to do when they are going extinct....how about a cake shaped as a whale?:)

xXhayleyroxXx
08-10-09, 17:44
I cannot watch the video but I gather people are eating whales???

I would in no way call it inhuman, I eat chicken sometimes, people eat cows....lions eat people....

it's not inhuman, it's just not the best thing to do when they are going extinct....how about a cake shaped as a whale?:)

no the way they're killing them is inhumane, but the cake idea is good.

Dennis's Mom
08-10-09, 21:19
After living in Alaska, I can't find any fault with them. Subsistence culture is something you don't understand until you've been close to it. These are the sort of traditions that make your community strong. Someone knows who your are and makes sure you're a part of the community. Wow. Beats the heck out of dying nameless in a gutter which probably happens in Houston every other day.

Encore
08-10-09, 21:22
I fully agree with this part, but i don't think cellphones and junkfood are supposed to be evolution.

I didn't meant they were, but only that other countries seem to believe so since they're more than willing to use those things without questioning if it's against their culture and tradition. Not everyone and everywhere of course, but it happens.

xXhayleyroxXx
08-10-09, 21:25
i guess its kinda like human sacrifice in the old days - the idea is now used in horror movies.

sometimes tradition goes to far, as it shown in this case.