PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT PLEASE: Who is present in the Oval Office during an important meeting?

Sifo-Dyas
08-10-09, 23:26
Hey

I recently began writing a new story (in Dutch) about a New York cop named Jack Slater who is what the rest of the NYPD calls 'a necessary evil'. The man has the ruthlessness of Jack Bauer, but is also extremely good with knives, daggers, swords and even the Japanese Samoerai (don't worry: Jack Bauer will always remain my favorite ever! LOL!)

What I would like to know for my 2nd chapter is this:

Imagine if the American President would call a very important meeting. Who would be the key-personal present at that meeting, please? I have gathered a list underneath - please add any that are missing or remove any that are unnecessary, please.

Many, many thanks in advance,

Would it also be possible to write down a short yet distinctive explanation as to what each person is responsible for, please? I know what the American President has to do and the American Vice President too, but what is the difference between the job of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the director of the department of homeland security, please? You'd think that after all those hours of "24" - I would finally understand how the American system runs, huh? LOL! :D

• The American President
• The Agent of the Secret Service who is the head of the team
• The American Vice President
• The Cabinet officials and the Joint Chiefs of Staff
• The Director of the Department of Homeland Security’s NY branch
• The Personal Secretary of the President

Bye for now

pneboy
08-10-09, 23:39
this isnt important, thanks for wasting my time

voltz
08-10-09, 23:41
OMG A TERRORIST!! :yik:

just kidding.

Sifo-Dyas
08-10-09, 23:42

Excuse me, but it IS important to me! I need to be able to write my story and you Americans know a lot more about how things work in American than I do, you know? :(

larafan25
08-10-09, 23:42

you entered this thread yourself, you wasted your own time.

the person is asking for help, if you have none to offer then go eat your face.....

anyways, sorry I cannot help you here as I know very little about government....

however there are definately alot of people here who can help you:)

LaraRules81
08-10-09, 23:43
Sorry I can't help you :o. I have no idea how the American (nor British for that matter) Presidential system works. What about Wikipedia?

So was that post; if you gave nothing constructive to say then don't say it.

larafan25
08-10-09, 23:44
^I wouldn't trust wiki:)

LaraRules81
08-10-09, 23:44
^I wouldn't trust wiki:)

Meh, it's what I always run to. :p

voltz
08-10-09, 23:46
From what I recall I only know everyone there is just representative to whichever branch they're labeled in. Based on that is probably how they decide if sharing information is important.

Sifo-Dyas
08-10-09, 23:49
Sorry I can't help you :o. I have no idea how the American (nor British for that matter) Presidential system works. What about Wikipedia?
So was that post; if you gave nothing constructive to say then don't say it.

Phew, thanks for the support people. For a minute there, I thought that everyone was going to react in a similar way - that my question was somehow insulting to Americans or something. I'm glad to see/hear that it's just this one person who is complaining.

Wikipedia did help a little, but not enough.

Anyways: I will naturally keep on searching.

1) Basically: I just wanna know that - if the American President called a meeting - to initiate a program to save New York from the extreme amount of uncontrollable crime wave (which is basically what my story is about until Jack Slater comes running along) which people would be involved in that meeting?

2) I hope the name Jack Slater hasn't been used before (I haven't done a search yet and I did invent the name myself) but - seeing as how there are different people with similar names - would it be a crime to create a new character bearing the same name than an already, earlier, invented character of someone else, please?

Again: many, many thanks to anyone out there who can/wants to/likes to help me. :)

Bye for now

voltz
08-10-09, 23:52
Jack Slater is a big name and has been used before, so having that as a nic would be kinda cliche.

Mr.Burns
08-10-09, 23:57
If people don't have anything worthwhile to add to this thread, then why waste time spamming it? That's a rhetorical question people.

beansontoast
09-10-09, 00:08
Hmm...Jack Slater. Your description reminds me of that one movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger who plays an L.A. cop named, yep, you guessed it, Jack Slater from The Last Action Hero. Although his character lives in L.A., but in a nutshell, does travels to New York to hunt down an adversary. He is a good guy, too, but is ruthless in comical ways.

Just saying.

Draco
09-10-09, 04:15
It wouldn't be in the Oval Office if Im understanding which important meeting you are aiming for.

Sifo-Dyas
09-10-09, 20:26
Hmm...Jack Slater. Your description reminds me of that one movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger who plays an L.A. cop named, yep, you guessed it, Jack Slater from The Last Action Hero. Although his character lives in L.A., but in a nutshell, does travels to New York to hunt down an adversary. He is a good guy, too, but is ruthless in comical ways.
Just saying.
Damn! That's where I know his name from. You think I should find a new name? But Jack sounds sooo cool! LOL! :D

pneboy
10-10-09, 01:14
Excuse me, but it IS important to me! I need to be able to write my story and you Americans know a lot more about how things work in American than I do, you know? :(

lolwtf what makes you think im american

Beans-Bot
10-10-09, 02:28
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Who+is+present+in+the+Oval+Office+during+an+imp ortant+meeting%3F

Glad I could be of service. :pi:

:spm:

miss.haggard
10-10-09, 02:40
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Who+is+present+in+the+Oval+Office+during+an+imp ortant+meeting%3F

Glad I could be of service. :pi:

:spm:

:vlol: The first search result is a link to this page :D

scoopy_loopy
10-10-09, 05:34
^ :vlol: Epic.

I know nothing about American cabinent meetings or whatnot, but its spelt Samurai not "Samoerai".

Sifo-Dyas
10-10-09, 10:11
^ :vlol: Epic.

I know nothing about American cabinent meetings or whatnot, but its spelt Samurai not "Samoerai".

Ah, sorry. Samoerai is de Dutch word for Samurai. :o)

And Google is indeed a very good way to find things, but after reading dozens of posts and clicking on links, I just wanted a straight answer; that's all.

Sorry if this is spam though ... :(

scoopy_loopy
10-10-09, 10:40
I guess it's not spam, but the "IMPORTANT PLEASE:" phrase in the title was rather presumptuous.