PDA

View Full Version : NASA assault on moon is "GO!"

voltz
09-10-09, 04:40
Has a hyperactive five-year-old taken over as the director of NASA? It sure seems like it. On Friday morning, an unmanned spacecraft launched in June will crash into the moon's surface. On purpose.

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93080?fp=1

gbetch
09-10-09, 05:01
i love that no one is paying attention to why...

we are doing this to see if there is water on the moon because if there is then there may be a chance on inhabiting the moon...its not like we are going to kill anything, nothing lives on the moon, its a big floaty rock!

Spong
09-10-09, 05:04
i love that no one is paying attention to why...

I saw the story on the news earlier, I was paying attention as to why. I just didn't care.

voltz
09-10-09, 05:17
Silly thing is even if there was a way to harvest water, how are we supposed to get enough to survive on? I don't think recycling urine is going to be considered a productive resource.

Draco
09-10-09, 13:58
At least they aren't wasting money like everyone else is.

Encore
09-10-09, 18:18
Damn, why don't they spend that money on something useful, like a bomb or something? :mad:

..:rolleyes:

Cochrane
09-10-09, 18:53
Damn, why don't they spend that money on something useful, like a bomb or something? :mad:

..:rolleyes:

I fully agree. A huge missile impact that does not kill anybody? What a waste! :hea:

:D

GameGlitcher77
09-10-09, 19:41
I fully agree. A huge missile impact that does not kill anybody? What a waste! :hea:
:D

Probally 'cause Obama just won the Noble Peace Prize http://i27.************/2805nye.jpg

j/k:ton:

Tony9595
09-10-09, 19:44
What if they completely destroy our moon?! :yik:

:p

maniakatosheto
09-10-09, 19:53
If the moon goes we go... >> Cause the moon effects the flow of the seas... and no flow = death like always ... *claps* Bravo American presidents you f'd it up big time again.

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 19:56
Has anybody actually read the article?

Cochrane
09-10-09, 20:33
If the moon goes we go... >> Cause the moon effects the flow of the seas... and no flow = death like always ... *claps* Bravo American presidents you f'd it up big time again.

Let's make this clear: We're joking. The plan is not to blow up the moon or assault it in any way. Rather, a space probe will deliberately crash in a section where water may be. This will be a small impact compared to some comets that already have crashed on the moon. The cloud this impact will generate, however, can be analyzed, and it is hoped that this will tell us whether there is any water there. It's far cheaper than sending anything there to drill, and it doesn't actually hurt the moon.

trXD
09-10-09, 20:57
Silly thing is even if there was a way to harvest water, how are we supposed to get enough to survive on? I don't think recycling urine is going to be considered a productive resource.

You realise that's what we do now?

LaraLuvrrr
09-10-09, 21:00
I find it funny we're doing this during this giant recession while the U.S. is in such great debt. I read it's costing about 79 million dollars in taxpayer dollars. I mean can't it wait?

Or are we looking to inhabit the moon ASAP :p

Cochrane
09-10-09, 21:08
I find it funny we're doing this during this giant recession while the U.S. is in such great debt. I read it's costing about 79 million dollars in taxpayer dollars. I mean can't it wait?

The probe is already up there. No way to cancel the mission now - you'd have to throw the probe away, and doing that is exactly what the mission is about.

cool_omar
09-10-09, 21:09
but could that crash blow some bits from the moon and fall on earth like meteorides and such :l

LaraLuvrrr
09-10-09, 21:23
The probe is already up there. No way to cancel the mission now - you'd have to throw the probe away, and doing that is exactly what the mission is about.

Oh so the probe was up there before the economic mess?

Beans-Bot
09-10-09, 21:33

*head explodes*

Why do I keep hearing this? The moon gets struck with objects much larger than this missile they've sent out quite regularly. Seeing as we still have a moon after thousands of years of repeated impact by blunt objects, I think we're safe. :)

For now. :pi:

Also, I read somewhere that NASA has no intention of routing the supposed water supply to Earth, that they just want a quick refill station should a shuttle run out of water supply mid-mission.

larasbestm8
09-10-09, 22:22
Me tinks someone went beyond trigger happy and went missile happy...

Tommy123
10-10-09, 00:21
I heard about this a while ago and i find it stupid cause the explosion will just destory all the water....if there is any. I think there doing this for something else...:pi:

larafan25
10-10-09, 00:25
^I believe they have targetted a certain spot....so I doubt it will destroy the water:)

Melonie Tomb Raider
10-10-09, 02:01

Exactly.

Draco
10-10-09, 03:47

Ah yes, because the world stops turning when people start panicking and don't spend money.

And 79 million is chump change in the big picture.

scoopy_loopy
10-10-09, 04:49
I agree with Draco... 79 Million isn't that much money for well developed countries to spend.

I think Australia needs a space program.

Uzi master
10-10-09, 04:51
I think australia and the world should spend there money on other things, liike stuff IN the world.

scoopy_loopy
10-10-09, 04:54
79 million to spend on space exploration, compared with how many hundreds of billions if not trillions spent on "stuff IN the world"?
Its really not that big a deal.

calico25
10-10-09, 06:48
http://www.adiumxtras.com/images/pictures/bubb_rubb_soundset_3_3549_2144_image_2470.png

"we gon bom da mooon!"

interstellardave
10-10-09, 07:57
NASA is probably the most cost-effective, and productive, government program... and people complain about 79 million?! Does anyone realize the limited funds NASA has worked with for decades--and the tremendous benefits average citizens have reaped from the results of NASA research? And space research in general?

I'm too tired to list all the things space research has given us... look it up for yourselves if you want... you might be shocked!

scoopy_loopy
10-10-09, 10:41
NASA is probably the most cost-effective, and productive, government program... and people complain about 79 million?! Does anyone realize the limited funds NASA has worked with for decades--and the tremendous benefits average citizens have reaped from the results of NASA research? And space research in general?

I'm too tired to list all the things space research has given us... look it up for yourselves if you want... you might be shocked!

:tmb: +1

Paddy
10-10-09, 10:50
Heard on the news they blasted a bit of a hole into the moon.

xx_Hunt_xx
10-10-09, 11:55
Im going to sound stupid, but even if they did find out if there was ice and water there....what then? Whats the point of it?

Dark Lugia 2
10-10-09, 12:28
^ One step closer to finding if there is/was life on the moon or the possibility of life on the moon, or both, I didnt read the article

Cant wait to see what info comes out oif this, if anything XD

Punaxe
10-10-09, 12:54
Im going to sound stupid, but even if they did find out if there was ice and water there....what then? Whats the point of it?

It would make having a base on the moon a lot more possible.

scoopy_loopy
10-10-09, 12:56
Substantial amounts of ice on the moon would be beneficial towards many things, not least for colonisation and also, we'd be able to launch new space missions from the moon itself - which would greatly broaden our horizons when it comes to space travel and exploration.