PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize 2009

Thorir
09-10-09, 12:04
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8298580.stm

Thoughts? :)

It was very unexpected and people were stunned here...
I'm sure he does a good job, but it's rather early...

Lemmie
09-10-09, 12:06
I don't know what he's done that merits it quite yet. :confused:

matrix54
09-10-09, 12:09
um... what did he do? no really, what has he done?

LightningRider
09-10-09, 12:10
Tell me it's a joke and I might have had a reason in laughing a bit. :o

tonyme
09-10-09, 12:10
Hmm, okay...

Spong
09-10-09, 12:11
Can't wait for the likes of Mad Tony to air his opinion :pi:

Thorir
09-10-09, 12:17
Can't wait for the likes of Mad Tony to air his opinion :pi:

He would have prefered Miss Universe to have won the prize. :D

MattTR
09-10-09, 12:28

As long as it wasn't Miss California.. I'm be fine.. :vlol:

Reggie
09-10-09, 13:20
I respect him for making renewed attempts at healing the divide between Iran and the US but I'm not sure what else he's been responsible even less so what has actually been feasibly achieved. I wonder if there was anyone else who was considered or should be considered that would be more 'worthy'? Hmm...

adventurerLara
09-10-09, 13:29
Surely he hasn't accomplished that much in the time frame?
In terms of achievement, a step down from many past winners.

Dennis's Mom
09-10-09, 13:31
*shrugs* There is that "what's he actually done?" reaction, isn't there?

But he's still POUS, so I'm going to be proud for him.

irjudd
09-10-09, 13:36

um... what did he do? no really, what has he done?

*shrugs* There is that "what's he actually done?" reaction, isn't there?

But he's still POUS, so I'm going to be proud for him.

Apparently you get awards for trying, just like kindergarten!

The Nobel Committee said he won it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

Spong
09-10-09, 13:44
The Nobel Committee said he won it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

It's more than Bush ever tried.

Draco
09-10-09, 13:51
They are sucking up to him, that's all.

Endow
09-10-09, 14:24

violentblossom
09-10-09, 14:25
0_o jigga what?

miss.haggard
09-10-09, 14:35

Oh he went on a few talk shows, and well... thats all I suppose...

irjudd
09-10-09, 15:17
Oh he went on a few talk shows, and well... thats all I suppose...

Hey Bamsauce does lots more than that! I think.

violentblossom
09-10-09, 15:18
Hey Bamsauce does lots more than that! I think.

He ninja-kills flies, don'tcha know?

irjudd
09-10-09, 15:19
Thanks VBamalover I knew you'd know what I meant. :)

Jack Croft
09-10-09, 15:19
Unexpected, not quite what to think....actually scrap that, Well done Barack!

interstellardave
09-10-09, 15:20
I heard the cut-off for nomination was less than 2 weeks after he took office! So, no, he had certainly done nothing at that point--and really hasn't to this point. It's all based on how beloved he is worldwide as the first black American president. Can't we all admit that's what it is?

Ridiculous.

Dingaling
09-10-09, 15:25
I heard the cut-off for nomination was less than 2 weeks after he took office! So, no, he had certainly done nothing at that point--and really hasn't to this point. It's all based on how beloved he is worldwide as the first black American president. Can't we all admit that's what it is?

Ridiculous.

RACIST! YOU MENTIONED OBAMA WAS BLACK!

:p. No doubt some people would say that to you iDave.

It's definitely a WTF? prize for him to get. He hasn't really been in that long to do anything to deserve it either.

Punaxe
09-10-09, 15:29

Ridiculous.

I think it's quite strange as well, but the fact that he is so beloved worldwide may just have been enough - 'cause who else has achieved that?

Does anyone know who the other nominees were, actually? This is important to know as well of course.

SamReeves
09-10-09, 15:30
The Nobel Popularity Prize has jumped the shark!

interstellardave
09-10-09, 15:33
There had to be people doing real work towards peace that are deserving. As for Obama, I think people loved the idea of having a black president--and the idea of getting rid of Bush. Obama still doesn't have a complete legacy as a president... and enthusiasm for his presidency is quite a bit lower than it was for Obama the candidate, that's for sure. It's no stretch to say, at the very least, "the jury is still out" on him.

The Nobel Popularity Prize has jumped the shark!

LOL! I love that phrase...

Melonie Tomb Raider
09-10-09, 15:34

This.

Punaxe
09-10-09, 15:44
There had to be people doing real work towards peace that are deserving. As for Obama, I think people loved the idea of having a black president--and the idea of getting rid of Bush. Obama still doesn't have a complete legacy as a president... and enthusiasm for his presidency is quite a bit lower than it was for Obama the candidate, that's for sure. It's no stretch to say, at the very least, "the jury is still out" on him. (...)

I agree, but even if it's purely because of ideas (of having a black president and no more Bush), the effect is the same and Obama represents this all.
At least, that's what I think would have been the committee's reasoning.

Larson_1988
09-10-09, 15:59
Wow, Oslo and our country is gonna bow in front of him now in December. :pi:

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 16:17
Can't wait for the likes of Mad Tony to air his opinion :pi::rolleyes:

It's more than Bush ever tried.At least he did what he thought was right instead of just embracing dictators and only doing what will look good like Obama does. Obama seems more interested in pleasing Europe than serving his own country. Reminds me of Gordon Brown actually.

Ridiculous.This. I'm not surprised really, but I thought this whole kissing up to Obama thing had gone out of fashion? Obviously not.

How the hell did he win the Nobel prize anyway? He's continuing the Iraq war which he campaigned against. He gets awarded for hypocrisy?

interstellardave
09-10-09, 16:22
I can't shake the feeling I've had all along... that Obama is the Pied Piper leading us all (many of us happily) to our ruin.

That's just the gut feeling I've had about him from the very beginning... it's not based on anything he's done or anything like that. It's just that, when I see him, that's what I feel.

*shudders*

Reggie
09-10-09, 16:24
You mean he's like some kind of anti-christ? :confused: Sorry if I'm misunderstanding (its been a long day!). He's just a president right? There's still checks and balances to ensure the president doesn't do anything that would bring ruin to America - he's not a dictator.

interstellardave
09-10-09, 16:29
You mean he's like some kind of anti-christ? :confused: Sorry if I'm misunderstanding (its been a long day!). But I mean, he's just a president right? There's still checks and balances to ensure the president doesn't do anything that would bring ruin to America.

No, I'm not going to label it as that... I'm not going to put a religious spin to it. I just have a bad feeling about where he'll take us from here (and current events aren't rosy anyway). Unlike Bush (who I will NOT defend, just so everyone knows) Obama has the power to garner widespread support world-wide, so I'm dubious as to how much opposition he will have... so, if his path is the wrong one, who will stop him?

But it's just my gut feeling... we'll have to wait and see...

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 16:30
I wouldn't put it past him to get rid of term limits, and since everyone loves him, getting support for it would be no problem.

TRfan23
09-10-09, 16:35
On thinking this, it seems to show how ironic it is when America's supposedly pretty much a very racist country :confused: Seeing everybody seems to love Obama...

ECB
09-10-09, 16:36
I can't wait for mine to come in the mail! Since they're giving them away for no apparent reason. :D

Reggie
No, I'm not going to label it as that... I'm not going to put a religious spin to it. I just have a bad feeling about where he'll take us from here (and current events aren't rosy anyway). Unlike Bush (who I will NOT defend, just so everyone knows) Obama has the power to garner widespread support world-wide, so I'm dubious as to how much opposition he will have... so, if his path is the wrong one, who will stop him?

But it's just my gut feeling... we'll have to wait and see...
Fair enough and that's a valid question to ponder. I hope that people don't stop questioning authority - that would indeed be dangerous.

I wouldn't put it past him to get rid of term limits, and since everyone loves him, getting support for it would be no problem.
The UK should have something like that. It would be good if every second general election we have a completely new head of the government - keeps politics fresh and democratic - if Obama did try to mess with the checks and balances then he would lose a lot of respect PDQ I'd imagine...or maybe he even has the charm to get away with that? I think the British are more cynical because we've already had an Obama-like figure here - Tony Blair. And he's going to be president of the EU by the looks of it! :(

Super Badnik
This just confirms all my asumptions, about how the world treats Barrack Obama, as being true. What the hell has he done to deserve a nobel peace prize?

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 16:39
The UK should have something like that. It would be good if every second general election we have a completely new head of the government - keeps politics fresh and democratic - if Obama did try to mess with the checks and balances then he would lose a lot of respect PDQ I'd imagine...or maybe he even has the charm to get away with that? I think the British are more cynical because we've already had an Obama-like figure here - Tony Blair. And he's going to be president of the EU by the looks of it! :(We do have that here. I think one man can only serve a maximum of 10 years in office. That's why Tony Blair resigned in 2007 and Gordon Brown took over. However, this can lead to unelected people becoming prime minister (e.g. Gordon Brown).

But yeah, I think Obama could easily get away with that. The Republicans would probably oppose it but since they're a minority in congress they'd have no chance of stopping him and speaking out against him would just get them labeled as racists.

2kool4u
09-10-09, 16:41
You mean he's like some kind of anti-christ? :confused: Sorry if I'm misunderstanding (its been a long day!). He's just a president right? There's still checks and balances to ensure the president doesn't do anything that would bring ruin to America - he's not a dictator.

40CMaNt_t8E

:vlol: :vlol:
That reminded me of what you said XDDD

Reggie
09-10-09, 16:50
We do have that here. I think one man can only serve a maximum of 10 years in office. That's why Tony Blair resigned in 2007 and Gordon Brown took over. However, this can lead to unelected people becoming prime minister (e.g. Gordon Brown).

But yeah, I think Obama could easily get away with that. The Republicans would probably oppose it but since they're a minority in congress they'd have no chance of stopping him and speaking out against him would just get them labeled as racists.
And to think Tony Blair will probably get the last laugh anyway once the treaty is ratified - it sucks and there's no way the Conservatives would get Britain out of the EU (wouldn't want that to either but that's another topic I guess :p). Brown should have had his election back when he bottled it a couple years ago, if he could have legitimised himself and the party, maybe they wouldn't be facing disaster right now and of course, the fact he's totally charmless (at least publicly) will make people much less forgiving. People are fickle like that and yet with a charming man like Obama, they get the bloody peace prize!

:vlol: :vlol:
That reminded me of what you said XDDD
LOL well that's what I was thinking of in a way. There were extreme Christian groups saying he was the anti-Christ because of the 'pied piper' fear that interstellerdave mentioned. >.<

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 16:53
And to think Tony Blair will probably get the last laugh anyway once the treaty is ratified - it sucks and there's no way the Conservatives would get Britain out of the EU (wouldn't want that to either but that's another topic I guess :p). Brown should have had his election back when he bottled it a couple years ago, if he could have legitimised himself and the party, maybe they wouldn't be facing disaster right now and of course, the fact he's totally charmless (at least publicly) will make people much less forgiving. People are fickle like that and yet with a charming man like Obama, they get the bloody peace prize!Oh we could pull out of the EU once it's ratified. The Europeans wouldn't like it but I doubt they'd actually do anything. The thing is though the Conservatives (at least the front benchers) don't go far enough on Europe and don't really want us to pull out.

violentblossom
09-10-09, 16:56

Checks and balances didn't save everyone from George W. Bush.

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 17:04
Checks and balances didn't save everyone from George W. Bush.Wait, what? George Bush wasn't a dictator. Neither is Obama. At the moment.

violentblossom
09-10-09, 17:10
Wait, what? George Bush wasn't a dictator. Neither is Obama. At the moment.

I didn't say he was, I am merely saying that checks and balances could not save this country from financial turmoil.

TRfan23
09-10-09, 17:11
What would be the consequence if they burned and destroyed all money in the world?

violentblossom
09-10-09, 17:13
What would be the consequence if they burned and destroyed all money in the world?

Money is merely a representation of a country's "gold".

TRfan23
09-10-09, 17:14
Money is merely a representation of a country's "gold".

yeh but it's supposed to be to control human being's nature of being greedy for things. Though it doesn't work :(

So why not scrap money, and everything just be free?

irjudd
09-10-09, 17:15
On thinking this, it seems to show how ironic it is when America's supposedly pretty much a very racist country :confused: Seeing everybody seems to love Obama...
How can you say a country with something around 305 million people residing in it is "pretty much very racist", or that everybody seems to love one guy?

Dennis's Mom
09-10-09, 17:18
I'll just quote my life-long, straight-ticket Republican dad, "I survived Johnson, I survived Carter, I survived Clinton. I'll survive this."

Obama will certainly put some things in place not everyone will be happy with, but I daresay that's true of every president. I, for one, see some form of socialized medicine as economically inevitable since private insurance cannot last indefinitely.

I think all the panicky-fear mongering is really . . . lame. If it weren't for George Will, I would say the conservatives were intellectually bankrupt.

Forwen
09-10-09, 17:23
What?!

2kool4u
09-10-09, 17:30
Since when did affirmative action apply to the Nobel Peace Prize? This is ridiculous he did nothing to win it yet. Hell ghandi shouldve gotten it.

interstellardave
09-10-09, 17:42
So why not scrap money, and everything just be free?

Think hard about that for a little bit, and I gotta believe you'll see how that would never work... just remember that everything is a result of someones' labor... the "everything's free" theory falls apart quickly after that!

TRfan23
09-10-09, 17:48
Think hard about that for a little bit, and I gotta believe you'll see how that would never work... just remember that everything is a result of someones' labor... the "everything's free" theory falls apart quickly after that!

You saying people will definatly take everything for themselves?
Us humans have never even tried it, so why not?
Whatever the result is, it is so. Life is just ;)

How can you say a country with something around 305 million people residing in it is "pretty much very racist", or that everybody seems to love one guy?

At my school we learn that America's quite a racist country (when we were doing RE and discrimination, as well in history), but it seems it's twisting the other way round... because of Obama ;)

wantafanta
09-10-09, 17:51
:rolleyes:
At least he did what he thought was right instead of just embracing dictators and only doing what will look good like Obama does.

Shouldn't you actually BE right if you are the president of the United States? Do you think Bush believed he was right when he raised the level of Arsenic permissable in US drinking water? When he put a lawyer for Lead Industries in charge of the Dept. of the Interior?

Excuse me, but if you are going to commit the US to 8 years of war in Iraq, you had better actually BE right about the existence of WMDs there. In fact, I expect my president to BE right about EVERYTHING he does. Anybody can believe they are right. In fact, Bush actually believed he might be wrong about WMDs. That is why he wouldn't let Hans Blix finish his weapons inspections. If he had, maybe 5,000 US troops would be alive today, and 30,000 more wouldn't be in the hospital.

And lastly, please name for me one dicator whom Obama has embraced.

Sir Croft
09-10-09, 17:52

Why not? At least all of them wish for world peace :p

interstellardave
09-10-09, 17:54
At my school we learn that America's quite a racist country (when we were doing RE and discrimination, as well in history), but it seems it's twisting the other way round... because of Obama ;)

What's RE?

Mona Sax
09-10-09, 17:54
I agree that it's way too early. Things are certainly looking better than they did a year ago, and one certainly can't say that he isn't trying, but the results just aren't there yet. It's gonna need a hell of a lot more work from all of us to get out of this mess - I'm not saying it's undeserved, but they should've waited a few years before considering him.

TRfan23
09-10-09, 17:57
What's RE?

Religious Education :)

interstellardave
09-10-09, 18:01
It's been changing for decades... Obama is just the result of America's changing views on race.

irjudd
09-10-09, 18:03
I'm sure your non-american school is not biased in any way... but what statistics could possibly support that statement? Even if you can name 500,000 racist people, do you realize what that percentage would be to still be calling the country quite racist?

TRfan23
09-10-09, 18:13
^ Oh, cool beans. Just not doing his job right :(

I'm sure your non-american school is not biased in any way... but what statistics could possibly support that statement? Even if you can name 500,000 racist people, do you realize what that percentage would be to still be calling the country quite racist?

I don't have any evidence :( All I found was this (http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=racism+in+america+today+statistics&meta=&fp=2b5b11435ced62e0). Nothing...

What % would it be?

Cochrane
09-10-09, 18:49
Apparently you get awards for trying, just like kindergarten!
The Nobel Peace Prize has a long history of being given essentially "for trying", which dates long before the second world war. I've heard Willy Brandt as an example, who hadn't done much when he got it in 1971, but his new politics in dealing with the eastern bloc in the end helped bring the end of the split between the two blocs.

Assuming that the Nobel Peace Prize is something neutral that everyone has to agree on is wrong. Historically speaking, it has time and again been used as a signal and as a sign of support, rather than as a recognition for past progress.

Interestingly, that means it remains closest to what Alfred Nobel actually intended: A price to encourage young people to continue with their work, not a price given to retired professors for what they did.

That being said, yes, I do think it's rather early. I hope he will prove himself worthy of it.

I can't shake the feeling I've had all along... that Obama is the Pied Piper leading us all (many of us happily) to our ruin.
Interestingly, modern research indicates that the original Pied Piper of Hameln did not, in fact, lead the children away to their death. Rather, he was a recruiter for colonists to settle in the (then largely empty) areas of what is now the western part of Poland. The "children" part is a translation error from old german, actually meant were young adults at the time. The village of Neu-Hameln (New Hameln) still exists today in the colonial area. Of course, the old people who were left behind in Hameln were not too pleased with this, and wrote the story accordingly.

I guess one could draw interesting analogies here, but I really am too lazy to do so right now.

Draco
09-10-09, 18:53
Checks and balances didn't save everyone from George W. Bush.

Actually, they did or would have if they had needed to or for that matter if the Dems had grown a pair before 2009.

LaraLuvrrr
09-10-09, 18:57

What a load of bull.... He should get the "motivational speaker of the year" award not a nobel peace prize :rolleyes:

So far all he's done is be extremely eloquent.... oh wait that brings memories of the primaries

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 19:14
I didn't say he was, I am merely saying that checks and balances could not save this country from financial turmoil.Yeah except president Bush didn't cause the financial crisis. Nor Hurricane Katrina for that matter, but that's a whole different topic.

Since when did affirmative action apply to the Nobel Peace Prize? This is ridiculous he did nothing to win it yet. Hell ghandi shouldve gotten it.I hate to break it to you but Ghandi's dead and has been for several decades. :p

At my school we learn that America's quite a racist country (when we were doing RE and discrimination, as well in history), but it seems it's twisting the other way round... because of Obama ;)To be fair most western countries have had a pretty appalling past as far as the treatment of blacks go. I think it's unfair to brand America as recist just because of things like segregation when our history is hardly any better.

Shouldn't you actually BE right if you are the president of the United States? Do you think Bush believed he was right when he raised the level of Arsenic permissable in US drinking water? When he put a lawyer for Lead Industries in charge of the Dept. of the Interior?

Excuse me, but if you are going to commit the US to 8 years of war in Iraq, you had better actually BE right about the existence of WMDs there. In fact, I expect my president to BE right about EVERYTHING he does. Anybody can believe they are right. In fact, Bush actually believed he might be wrong about WMDs. That is why he wouldn't let Hans Blix finish his weapons inspections. If he had, maybe 5,000 US troops would be alive today, and 30,000 more wouldn't be in the hospital.

And lastly, please name for me one dicator whom Obama has embraced.Whether or not he did the right thing is purely subjective, so this isn't something you can debunk with your little statistics.

Oh I don't know, Ahmadinejad for example? :whi:

So what's your opinion on this then? It's hard not to notice that you're a pretty big fan of Obama.

GameGlitcher77
09-10-09, 19:23
This just confirms all my asumptions, about how the world treats Barrack Obama, as being true. What the hell has he done to deserve a nobel peace prize?

This. I know he's been in office for not even a year but what exactly did he do to get it???:confused:

Legends
09-10-09, 19:31
Ironic that the American President won the Nobel Prize. A little too soon for him to be reworded like this. I like his work and what he stands for, but the Nobel Prize?

AmericanAssassin
09-10-09, 19:46
Well, this is just odd. He certainly didn't deserve this. He hasn't been the best president overall, so he certainly wasn't in his first two weeks. :rolleyes:

Paperdoll
09-10-09, 19:53
Seriously? Was the comittee bored? O_o

Sifo-Dyas
09-10-09, 20:18
I don't think Obama is to blame for this surprising award. I also really like his humbleness when accepting the award.

But I'm sure many people will agree that Obama is one of the finest American Presidents in recent years and quite the opposite of dummybag George Bush jr. and perhaps because of Obama's mental strength and efforts to steer America into the right direction and as much away from the total disaster that Bush created have lead to this decision. :)

My two cents .....

Bye for now

xMiSsCrOfTx
09-10-09, 20:18

I was just wondering the same thing...?

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 20:26
I don't think Obama is to blame for this surprising award. I also really like his humbleness when accepting the award.

But I'm sure many people will agree that Obama is one of the finest American Presidents in recent years and quite the opposite of dummybag George Bush jr. and perhaps because of Obama's mental strength and efforts to steer America into the right direction and as much away from the total disaster that Bush created have lead to this decision. :)

My two cents .....

Bye for nowLol :vlol:

Awarding Obama the Nobel peace prize is like somebody getting the Nobel prize for literature before the book's even been written.

Tombreaper
09-10-09, 21:00
Maybe he got the prize because he plays only party games on the wii.

Fallen.Angel
09-10-09, 21:00
I support Obama but I agree with the majority. He hasn't really done much, yet. But congrats nonetheless.

ECB
09-10-09, 21:07
Maybe he got the prize because he plays only party games on the wii.

:vlol:

I like this! :tmb:

TRfan23
09-10-09, 21:09
Maybe he got the prize because he spends too much time playing Sim City on the Wii.

Corrected ;)

Johnnay
09-10-09, 21:12
Ok ok ppl. The main thing here is who cares about what happened. Period

takamotosan
09-10-09, 21:14
Pretty soon, it's gonna be written into taxes that we all give him a blowjob, too :pi:

****ing stupid.

Blackmoor
09-10-09, 21:22
Oh dear how embarassing.

If I were him I'd turn it down. Lets face it he hasn't done anything YET except be the first black president of the US. Shame on the Nobel Foundation, they've cheapened the idea of the Peace Prize.

Beans-Bot
09-10-09, 21:25
Hey, I'm proud for the guy. Although I agree with almost everyone on the "wait what has he even done?" sentiment. I guess an argument could be made that he's approached countries with open arms instead of fists, unlike the Republican response of turning our back and forgetting they exist. Him being an active supporter of nuclear disarmament gets big points from me, too. In any case, perhaps this will inspire him to kick what he's already done into overdrive, like "Oh, I have a Nobel peace Prize, now I really need to act like a deserved it all along :o"

With this, he's a definite shoe-in for 2012, undeniably. Like there was any doubt anyway. :pi: :D

SamReeves
09-10-09, 21:38

Yup. And the people who don't particuarly like Obama, such as myself are labeled as "racist" because I don't want to get on board with the agenda. I could care less that he is of mixed race, but I do care that he's a socialist out of control.

I agree that it's way too early. Things are certainly looking better than they did a year ago, and one certainly can't say that he isn't trying, but the results just aren't there yet. It's gonna need a hell of a lot more work from all of us to get out of this mess - I'm not saying it's undeserved, but they should've waited a few years before considering him.

That says a lot, since I know you're a pretty left leaning lady. Yea, he should get the award after he's done the work. But so goes this current generation. Awards before acomplishments.

Seriously? Was the comittee bored? O_o

LOL, reaaaaly bored. BTW, they have picked nothing but Democrats for the Nobel prize.

Pretty soon, it's gonna be written into taxes that we all give him a blowjob, too :pi:

****ing stupid.

:vlol: Yup, the BJ being the sucking sound of your taxes.

Hey, I'm proud for the guy. Although I agree with almost everyone on the "wait what has he even done?" sentiment. I guess an argument could be made that he's approached countries with open arms instead of fists, unlike the Republican response of turning our back and forgetting they exist. Him being an active supporter of nuclear disarmament gets big points from me, too.

Wow, that shows no recollection of history at all. Whom started the nuclear disarmament proceedings in the 1980's with the Soviets? It certainly wasn't Barack Obama. Henceforth why the Nobel Peace Prize is a sham. One should have been awarded to Reagan for his work to keep the world safe, whether it was with strength or the olive branch.

Beans-Bot
09-10-09, 21:41
Wow, that shows no recollection of history at all. Whom started the nuclear disarmament proceedings in the 1980's with the Soviets? It certainly wasn't Barack Obama. Henceforth why the Nobel Peace Prize is a sham. One should have been awarded to Reagan for his work to keep the world safe, whether it was with strength or the olive branch.

You could also try reading what I wrote. :)

I didn't say he started negotiations for nuclear disarmament, I said he supported them.

:wve:

SamReeves
09-10-09, 21:42
You could also try reading what I wrote. :)

I didn't say he started negotiations for nuclear disarmament, I said he supported them.

No you want your version of history, and ignore the contributions of Republicans. It's that simple.

Beans-Bot
09-10-09, 21:45
No you want your version of history, and ignore the contributions of Republicans. It's that simple.

I never said that Republicans weren't integral in some major historical events, I just said that I was against the way they've chosen to handle world politics as of late. Do you honestly just put words in people's mouths? Because it seems like it to me.

Reggie
09-10-09, 21:53
I would suggest that it was the successful ties between him and Mikhail Gorbachev that allowed for a thaw in relations and for nuclear disarmament to take place on both sides. Gorbachev did at least get a Nobel Peace Price for his part in the START talks. Compare the likes of Gorbachev or even Reagan ('evil empire' speech aside ;)) to Obama's 'achievements' and you can see that Obama has a long way to go until we can truly attribute any respect to him because all the good-intent in the world does not make you a good politician.

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 22:15
Wow, that shows no recollection of history at all. Whom started the nuclear disarmament proceedings in the 1980's with the Soviets? It certainly wasn't Barack Obama. Henceforth why the Nobel Peace Prize is a sham. One should have been awarded to Reagan for his work to keep the world safe, whether it was with strength or the olive branch.I completely agree. Oh, and Thatcher should've got one as well. Best double act in the history of the world, save perhaps Roosevelt and Churchill. :p

raiderfun
09-10-09, 22:26
We cannot say that he deserves it; the situation is almost worse now than with Bush era. He's still submitted to the zionist regime and still plans to send troops to Aghanistan. Nobel Peace Prize ?

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 22:35
We cannot say that he deserves it; the situation is almost worse now than with Bush era. He's still submitted to the zionist regime and still plans to send troops to Aghanistan. Nobel Peace Prize ?How did I know you'd bring that up?

January_Snow*
09-10-09, 22:37
What did he do?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 22:40
He always brings up Israel (or as he calls it "the Zionist regime").

He had a fair point about Afghanistan. While I do think more troops need to be deployed there, it's pretty odd that the Nobel peace prize is awarded to somebody who hasn't actually stopped any wars, even ones he has direct control over.

January_Snow*
09-10-09, 22:42
But he hasnt stoped anything, he didnt withdraw any troops...
He might be charismatic and all, but Nobel Peace Prize, thats too much...

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 22:43
But he hasnt stoped anything, he didnt withdraw any troops...
He might be charismatic and all, but Nobel Peace Prize, thats too much...Yeah, that was established by most people here ages ago. :p

takamotosan
09-10-09, 22:43
I'm really tired of people making him out to be the messiah just because he's part-black and can speak well.

I deserve a Nobel Peace Prize more than this buffoon.

raiderfun
09-10-09, 22:46

He had a fair point about Afghanistan. While I do think more troops need to be deployed there, it's pretty odd that the Nobel peace prize is awarded to somebody who hasn't actually stopped any wars, even ones he has direct control over.

We know each other and we know that we're unable to argue again and again over this theme, you're extremely dogmatic when it comes to "opressing" the Middle East, and not only Israel...

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 22:56
We know each other and we know that we're unable to argue again and again over this theme, you're extremely dogmatic when it comes to "opressing" the Middle East, and not only Israel...Oh what, just because I support Israel's right to defend themselves from suicide bombers on buses and constant rocket attacks?

raiderfun
09-10-09, 23:05
Oh what, just because I support Israel's right to defend themselves from suicide bombers on buses and constant rocket attacks?

Lol I think I just said : "when it comes to "opressing" the Middle East, and not only Israel...". You do only consider the illogic of things, maybe I should post this, though, you're extremely opinionated for no evident reason :

http://www.ifamericansknew.org/ :wve:

Yeah suicide bombers on buses and constant rocket attacks ? :rolleyes: I think you do not even take time to read what you write, you make of an event that happened once a generalization, and I think it's quite shameful to mention those attacks, not because they are not constant only, but also because they only scrape Israel's land :D

Tombreaper
09-10-09, 23:08
Okay, the Nobel Prize for Peace has to be given to somebody.

Since there's not a single human being on the planet serving Peace full 100%, they voted (probably by accident) Obama to get rid of the prize.

Except for anti-zionists and some others, nobody cares.

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 23:09
Lol I think I just said : "when it comes to "opressing" the Middle East, and not only Israel...". You do only consider the illogic of things, maybe I should post this, though, you're extremely opinionated for no evident reason :

http://www.ifamericansknew.org/ :wve:

Yeah suicide bombers on buses and constant rocket attacks ? :rolleyes: I think you do not even take time to read what you write, you make of an event that happened once a generalization, and I think it's quite shameful to mention those attacks, not because they are not constant only, but also because they only scrape Israel's land :DCheck your PM. I don't think this thread should be hijacked by this.

raiderfun
09-10-09, 23:17
Check your PM. I don't think this thread should be hijacked by this.

You're right, it should be kept clean.

Tommy123
10-10-09, 00:22
I dont see a point in him getting this. He hasent really done anything yet...

Johnnay
10-10-09, 00:47

I bring that word too. Do not forget me. And of course Israel has the dimona nuclear factory where it houses a lot of nukes and all of those illegal stuff.

and no of course he didn't make up that word. That's word has been used decades ago.

On another note why did Obama get the prize for. His charisma

Bongo Fury
10-10-09, 01:18
I dont see a point in him getting this. He hasent really done anything yet...
It's simply another reminder that the Nobel Peace Prize is much ado about nothing. You can actually carpet bomb Cambodia and still get one.

Kittypower
10-10-09, 01:51
I bring that word too. Do not forget me. And of course Israel has the dimona nuclear factory where it houses a lot of nukes and all of those illegal stuff.
and no of course he didn't make up that word. That's word has been used decades ago.

On another note why did Obama get the prize for. His charisma

Please, lets not start this. This is an argument for a diffrent time.

Draco
10-10-09, 03:49
So far all he's done is be extremely eloquent....

We must not have been watching the same Obama speeches.

patriots88888
10-10-09, 03:55
We must not have been watching the same Obama speeches.

Is that what all that chitter chatter was? Speeches or preaches? Take your pick! :p

Johnnay
10-10-09, 05:00
Please, lets not start this. This is an argument for a diffrent time.

and the wrong thread lol

lets discuss the wrong things that Obama has done which could prevent him for getting the prize

scoopy_loopy
10-10-09, 05:05
I just don't understand... when I think of Obama I think "black president" :p What's he actually done?

Yes, I think he's better than Bush... but its not like he's Budda.

Pietras
10-10-09, 18:28
He got it for not being Bush.

JRod2208
11-10-09, 03:33
Geez, this is ridiculous. Apparently you only have to go on talk shows and contradict yourself to get a Nobel Prize. :confused:

No one ever askes him about the important things. Interviewers have asked him about his socks! I'm not joking, his ****ing socks! And his pick on who's going to win the World Series. He's too busy to know what's going on about ACORN but he can pay attention to sports?! What about all the radicals that have prison records he's surrounded himself with? :confused: He hasn't even done anything to warrant a Nobel Peace Prize as others have said. And as for him humbly accepting it? What a load of bull. He knows he didn't do anything to deserve it. He should've refused it, but being the, as if believe, selfish man that he is, accepted it.

Dustie
11-10-09, 10:14
I think we're all surprised with the decision.

Maybe they did it to make him feel obliged...

Larapink
11-10-09, 14:30
Hmm.. I don't think he's done anything significant for the world just get other than being the first African American President Of The United States. With saying that hs's not going to be the last person of color to be president.

Beans-Bot
11-10-09, 15:14
At the risk of channeling SamReeves, I'm actually rather against Obama repealing the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy. Not because I think that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to enter the military, I'm just against military action in general, so passing a law that allows more people to go fight and die for "patriotism" does not sit well with me at all. It's also very ironic that he would mention repealing this just days after winning the Nobel Peace Prize, but as others have said, the whole affair has become a worldwide popularity contest and rarely has anything to do with real peace anymore, so...:pi:

Draco
11-10-09, 15:56
At the risk of channeling SamReeves, I'm actually rather against Obama repealing the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy. Not because I think that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to enter the military, I'm just against military action in general, so passing a law that allows more people to go fight and die for "patriotism" does not sit well with me at all. It's also very ironic that he would mention repealing this just days after winning the Nobel Peace Prize, but as others have said, the whole affair has become a worldwide popularity contest and rarely has anything to do with real peace anymore, so...:pi:

You would rather not give everyone the same rights than let them decide for themselves whether they want to be in the military or not?

Who do you think you are?

Beans-Bot
11-10-09, 16:21
I never said I was for DADT , I just said that him repealing it soon after winning the Nobel Peace Prize was a bad decision. :o

EDIT: Actually I did say this

passing a law that allows [i]more people to go fight and die for "patriotism" does not sit well with me at all.

but that's just because I'm against people joining the military in general, regardless of their lifestyle. I'm Anti-War, so I would be pleased to see the number of insurgents drop drastically, myself.

Mad Tony
11-10-09, 16:22
At the risk of channeling SamReeves, I'm actually rather against Obama repealing the Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy. Not because I think that homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to enter the military, I'm just against military action in general, so passing a law that allows more people to go fight and die for "patriotism" does not sit well with me at all. It's also very ironic that he would mention repealing this just days after winning the Nobel Peace Prize, but as others have said, the whole affair has become a worldwide popularity contest and rarely has anything to do with real peace anymore, so...:pi:You're looking at this from the wrong perspective.

Say for example the repeal of the don't ask don't tell policy does actually bring more troops into the US army, that means there'll be more support for the ones that are already fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq, which in turn results in less casualties. I don't really have an opinion on don't ask don't tell as I really don't know enough about it, but I don't think the repeal of it will result in more American soldiers "dying for patriotism" (which isn't what they're there for anyway).

SamReeves
11-10-09, 16:23
Oh I was expecting it. This is the start of gutting the DOD and CIA. America's going to be weaker thanks to Obama!

Draco
11-10-09, 16:28
Oh I was expecting it. This is the start of gutting the DOD and CIA. America's going to be weaker thanks to Obama!

DADT and the idea that women shouldn't be in combat is silliness imo. Anyone who wants to serve should be able to in any capacity they are qualified for.

Beans-Bot
11-10-09, 16:30
This is the start of gutting the DOD and CIA.

Letting homosexuals join the military is gutting the CIA? Is that what you're saying? How so?

and Draco [kinda] called me homophobic....:pi:

Mad Tony
11-10-09, 16:34
Oh I was expecting it. This is the start of gutting the DOD and CIA. America's going to be weaker thanks to Obama!How did you think he was gonna pay the debt interest?

Beans-Bot
11-10-09, 16:48
Also, I now admit that my knowledge of the DADT policy was weak and that I'm now better informed. It was stupid of me to spark an argument when not having my facts straight, but I would greatly appreciate it if neither of you spun my ignorance into some ridiculous "This shows how ignorant and uninformed the Dems are!!!" thing as the Republicans tend to do while forgetting that the exception is not the rule.

SamReeves
11-10-09, 16:49
Letting homosexuals join the military is gutting the CIA? Is that what you're saying? How so?

and Draco [kinda] called me homophobic....:pi:

Look at his pick to head the CIA. Leon Panetta has no experience with spying, military ops, or intelligence. Leon Panetta is a pure politican. Now the CIA is a vehicle for his socialist experiements. Now the same will be happening at the DOD. Bob Gates is within weeks of resigning from his post. Most likely there will be a political pick to head the DOD, so you can have open gays, and God knows what other societal experiments. A lot of you need to know that the fresh enlisted people are right out of high school. They are going to pick on the gay people, there'll be more confrontations, and it will distract the military from its mission. This is not the time to socially engineer the military. There are still two wars being fought…at least for the moment. But who knows, I have a feeling Obama will order withdrawal from Afghanistan soon. Race and sexual oreintation are two completely different things, so you can't say that this is akin to desegregation in the military after WWII. I'd prefer to see don't ask and don't tell stay in place to keep peace among the enlisted ranks.

How did you think he was gonna pay the debt interest?

LOL, exactly. Take it away from the DOD and CIA, and give it to cash for clunkers or a party for his Nobel Peace Prize! :vlol:

Mad Tony
11-10-09, 17:00
Look at his pick to head the CIA. Leon Panetta has no experience with spying, military ops, or intelligence. Leon Panetta is a pure politican. Now the CIA is a vehicle for his socialist experiements. Now the same will be happening at the DOD. Bob Gates is within weeks of resigning from his post. Most likely there will be a political pick to head the DOD, so you can have open gays, and God knows what other societal experiments. A lot of you need to know that the fresh enlisted people are right out of high school. They are going to pick on the gay people, there'll be more confrontations, and it will distract the military from its mission. This is not the time to socially engineer the military. There are still two wars being fought…at least for the moment. But who knows, I have a feeling Obama will order withdrawal from Afghanistan soon. Race and sexual oreintation are two completely different things, so you can't say that this is akin to desegregation in the military after WWII. I'd prefer to see don't ask and don't tell stay in place to keep peace among the enlisted ranks.Aw ****, Gates is leaving soon? Bring back Rumsfeld I say. :p

Beans-Bot
11-10-09, 17:04
Look at his pick to head the CIA. Leon Panetta has no experience with spying, military ops, or intelligence. Leon Panetta is a pure politican. Now the CIA is a vehicle for his socialist experiements. Now the same will be happening at the DOD. Bob Gates is within weeks of resigning from his post. Most likely there will be a political pick to head the DOD, so you can have open gays, and God knows what other societal experiments. A lot of you need to know that the fresh enlisted people are right out of high school. They are going to pick on the gay people, there'll be more confrontations, and it will distract the military from its mission. This is not the time to socially engineer the military. There are still two wars being fought…at least for the moment. But who knows, I have a feeling Obama will order withdrawal from Afghanistan soon. Race and sexual oreintation are two completely different things, so you can't say that this is akin to desegregation in the military after WWII. I'd prefer to see don't ask and don't tell stay in place to keep peace among the enlisted ranks.

LOL, exactly. Take it away from the DOD and CIA, and give it to cash for clunkers or a party for his Nobel Peace Prize! :vlol:

1) I wish I could see into the future like you apparently can.
2-3) I don't think there's ever a wrong time to integrate equal rights into things, or "perform societal experiments" as you call it.

I do believe that you need to stop verging on homophobic beliefs before one of the many members of the Gay Community that also are members of this forum come into this thread and beat your ass. :)

SamReeves
11-10-09, 17:04
Aw ****, Gates is leaving soon? Bring back Rumsfeld I say. :p

Well when you gut your institutions, nobody is going to want to work for you…that is except the political picks. Seriously man, good seasoned people from both in the DOD and CIA are choosing retirement now. They don't want to stick around.

1) I wish I could see into the future like you apparently can.
2-3) I don't think there's ever a wrong time to integrate equal rights into things, or "perform societal experiments" as you call it.

I do believe that you need to stop verging on homophobic beliefs before one of the many members of the Gay Community that also are members of this forum come into this thread and beat your ass. :)

I didn't threaten you, but whatever. Conversation over, added to my filters. :wve:

takamotosan
11-10-09, 18:53
I like the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy. That means they wouldn't draft me ;)

SpaceChild
11-10-09, 20:01
When I read the news on the 'Net early Friday morning (I was up early, waiting for the LCROSS probe to slam into the moon,) I thought the story was a spoof over at The Onion. In a weird way, the fact that it wasn't made it even more hilarious...

Truly, a ham sandwich could win a "Nobel Peace Prize" these days - so long as it's got a smarmy retro-collectivist slogan grilled onto it.:cln:

Aside from the veritable Rogue's Gallery of past recipients - Jimmy Carter(?); Albert "The Sky Is Falling! Auggh!" Gore; the United Nations(W-T-F!); Yasser Arafat(!); Mikhail Gorbachev, etc. - the timing of it is telling:

As many have noted here already, rationality would tend to dictate that the recipient would first have to...actually have done something tangible to further the cause of peace. A couple years down the road would at least have seemed plausible. But then, a whole lot of beauty pageant contestants have made a whole lot of nice noises about world peace too. At least they're sincere. Obama so far has merely made lots of nice noises about world peace - while actively pursuing policies that will virtually guarantee war.

It appears that the current Nobel prize has become little more than a political hobbyhorse for a single faction of Swedish ideologues. The Nobel committee has become so intellectually shallow and sloppy that they couldn't even wait for tangible actions to emerge, to lavish alms on a politician whose worldview corresponds fully with theirs. Amazing - and inescapably humorous. You just can't make this kind of stuff up.

So three cheers to the Nobel committee for once again achieving a fusion of reality and high comedy.

:tea:

Beans-Bot
11-10-09, 23:43
while actively pursuing policies that will virtually guarantee war.

Like what? I'm not trying to be condescending or argumentative, I'm honestly intrigued. :o

scoopy_loopy
12-10-09, 00:22
I like the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy. That means they wouldn't draft me ;)

:vlol: ! Brilliant!

I dont see the big deal, gays are going to get **** if theyre obvious in the military anyway. Wether its legal for them to be there or not :rolleyes: I mean there hasnt been a "dont ask, dont tell" policy here for years, but you wouldnt say you were gay if ever you were asked by a recruitment officer...

Tombraiderx08
12-10-09, 01:09
SNL's weekend update talked about this, I loved it >.< I dont think he deserves it IMO *hides*

Uzi master
12-10-09, 02:44
whoever made the don't ask don't tell thingy (ALl I know is it doesn't let gay people in the military...) is a gay basher (real term) whoever prevents women from going into the U.S. military is sexist, and anyone who doesnt like Obama is supposesley racist, because "Hes black, you have to like him!"

TRLegendLuver
12-10-09, 03:03
He hasn't done a good thing for this country so far, so I really don't know why he has won such a prestigious award. :/

scoopy_loopy
12-10-09, 03:10
whoever made the don't ask don't tell thingy (ALl I know is it doesn't let gay people in the military...) is a gay basher (real term) whoever prevents women from going into the U.S. military is sexist, and anyone who doesnt like Obama is supposesley racist, because "Hes black, you have to like him!"

Actually, it lets plenty of gays in. Just not the ones you can tell are gay at a glance ;)

takamotosan
12-10-09, 03:46
Actually, it lets plenty of gays in. Just not the ones you can tell are gay at a glance ;)

They'd take one look at me and gimme the boot out the door.

Thank Allah/Buddha/Jesus :p

Little-Lara
12-10-09, 03:54
I've always admired Bono from U2 for his peace and global humanitarian efforts, I'm surprised he didn't get it. In my book, Bono have deserved this award since many years ago.

Heck, even Angelina Jolie would have been a better choice than Obama.

aktrekker
12-10-09, 04:24
whoever made the don't ask don't tell thingy (ALl I know is it doesn't let gay people in the military...) is a gay basher (real term)

As long as you don't tell them you're gay, they won't ask. So you can get in.
And the person who started it is everyone's favorite president Bill Clinton :eek:

scoopy_loopy
12-10-09, 04:29
They'd take one look at me and gimme the boot out the door.

Thank Allah/Buddha/Jesus :p

:vlol:

Thats a good thing!

takamotosan
12-10-09, 04:29
As long as you don't tell them you're gay, they won't ask. So you can get in.
And the person who started it is everyone's favorite president Bill Clinton :eek:

He did it as a compromise with the homophobes.

scoopy_loopy
12-10-09, 04:30
^ Well I think its a fine system! Who wants raging Queer's in the military? :tea: They wouldnt be allowed even if there wasn't a policy!

Big Matt
12-10-09, 05:17
Yeah, I bet he won the goofy thing. I guess they hand those Nobel thingys out to just anybody, so long as their agenda tracks with those sitting on the committee. This just demonstrates the fact that it's another one of those awards that means absolutely nothing. Not that I ever gave two cow pies about the Nobel whatever-it-is, anyway. Life's too short to waste any of it on that nonsense.

As far as Oprah's favorite politician goes, he stands for almost nothing that I do and is against almost everything that I am for, so let's just say I dislike the dude profusely and leave it at that.

SpaceChild
12-10-09, 06:45
I wrote: "Obama so far has merely made lots of nice noises about world peace - while actively pursuing policies that will virtually guarantee war."

Like what? I'm not trying to be condescending or argumentative, I'm honestly intrigued. :o

- Like what the Obama Administration is doing right now, and has been through the summer and fall: Dithering on his own stated (campaign) commitment to eradicate a resurgent Taliban from Afghanistan. If you read the headlines regularly you know that his public, palpable indecision has already emboldened Talibani types throughout the Middle East. He's apparently more concerned about his poll numbers among the pacifist fringe of his Party than about the Taliban and al-Qaida.

- Like his (and H. Clinton's) instantaneous - and astonishing - support of Honduran dictator-wannabe Zelaya, rather than the laws and constitution of that country. Ditto Chavez in Venezuela. A textbook dictator tries to shred his country's constitution and set himself up like a Chavez or Castro; the court system and the military of Honduras intervene and toss him out on his commie arse. Obama & Co. do not applaud the courage of the Honduran government in upholding its own constitution and laws, but rather shed crocodile tears for the poor little collectivist who didn't get to make himself god-king. If Zelaya, with Obama's support, succeeds in installing himself as dictator in Honduras, that country and the surrounding regions of Central America will almost certainly descend into war.

- Like his retro-Bush policy of turning a blind eye to Iranian nuclear ambitions. Tell me, what do you think would happen if Iran got nuclear weapons? Have you read and heard what Ahmad-in-a-jar has been saying - loudly - for the last five years?

Stuff like that.

"History teaches that wars begin when governments believe the price of aggression is cheap. To keep the peace, we and our allies must be strong enough to convince any potential aggressor that war could bring no benefit, only disaster." - Ronald Reagan, January 1984