PDA

View Full Version : Mayan Callender Conspiracy Theory?

Laras shadow
09-10-09, 13:51
has anyone herd about the conspiracy theory that the world it supposidly going to end on the 21st ;) (thanks ECB)of December 2012 because thats when the mayan callendar ends hmm u don't think it's true but what do you think
link for information here
http://mayancalendar2012.org/
also was the mayan callendar not mentioned in tomb raider Underworld?

Draco
09-10-09, 13:54
I've heard them all, and they are all just incorrect interpretations if you look at them literally. Though in the broadest sense, they are correct.

Rivendell
09-10-09, 13:55
*Grabs popcorn*

I love how people here react to this story, since it gets posted about once a month, every month.

And it does not fortell the end of the world, but a transition to the next age of man.

Laras shadow
09-10-09, 13:57
lol im just to gullable i believe in anything :o but i was really interested in it because of the mention of the mayan callender in TRU

adventurerLara
09-10-09, 14:01
As said in previous other threads, if every prediction telling of the world's end were true we would be dead numerous times over by now.

irjudd
09-10-09, 14:02
has anyone herd about the conspiracy theory ...

Nope.

MiCkiZ88
09-10-09, 14:04
If I remember correctly, we've already passed 2012. The calendar we have is late from what I remember by six years.. so.. do the calculation. I don't have a source, just some old memory of reading about it.

Laras shadow
09-10-09, 14:09
really ^^ :D yay! we wont die (lol) erm i actually herd there's ment to be a movie coming out which is "based" on this theory called "2012"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz86TsGx3fc
kk officialy now i think it's another american cliche and a advertising scheme >_<

Jack Croft
09-10-09, 14:15
*Grabs popcorn*

I love how people here react to this story, since it gets posted about once a month, every month.

And it does not fortell the end of the world, but a transition to the next age of man.

Why do people have to keep reposting. /sigh

john_york
09-10-09, 14:37
Gah! Itz teh endz of teh wurldz!

Teh sevunth ayge!

Rivendell
09-10-09, 14:58
Teh sevunth ayge!

Fifth, actually, if I remember correctly.

:ton:

Legend of Lara
09-10-09, 15:00
Wha... Mayan calendars?! World ending in 2012?!

Why, I've never heard of THAT before! :yik: Now I'm like super duper worried! :(

Admles
09-10-09, 15:12
Wha... Mayan calendars?! World ending in 2012?!

Why, I've never heard of THAT before! :yik: Now I'm like super duper worried! :(
Theres nothing to worry about.

It's not the end of the world, just the end of the current age. Nothing more.

Legend of Lara
09-10-09, 15:14
Theres nothing to worry about.

It's not the end of the world, just the end of the current age. Nothing more.

But I'm worried about you. You should go repair your sarcasm detector...

Admles
09-10-09, 15:15
Why? The sarcasm wasn't obvious

The way you posted is pretty typical of gullible people who believe it....

interstellardave
09-10-09, 15:18
It's a fantastic achievement that the Mayan calander is so precise, and that that date corresponds with some amazing astronomical occurences that we have only recently realized (Earth crossing the galactic plane, for one). The "End Of The World", however, it is not. As many have said it's the end of an age... what will happen, what changes may occur, who knows? It's quite possible that something interesting will happen, relating to long-term natural cycles, which the Mayan calender is obviously in tune with... but the Earth will still be here the next day, I'm sure, as well as Mankind.

Your_Envy*
09-10-09, 15:28
But I'm worried about you. You should go repair your sarcasm detector...

Hahahahaha! :vlol: My sarcasm detector is good muahahaha. :mis:

I don't believe in such things. :) It's interesting though, but nothing more for me. :D

XBOXCroft
09-10-09, 15:35
Hmm, what if the Mayans were wrong.

We don't know if their precisely correct. Because they make up facts from Gods and you'll never know if it's not even correct.

Besides, it's the end of the (insert world name right here) and it could change into the Space Age just like Civilization Revolution. lol.

ECB
09-10-09, 15:45
has anyone herd about the conspiracy theory that the world it supposidly going to end on the 23rd of December 2012 because thats when the mayan callendar ends hmm u don't think it's true but what do you think
link for information here
http://mayancalendar2012.org/
also was the mayan callendar not mentioned in tomb raider Underworld?

It's actually December 21, 2012. :)

LightningRider
09-10-09, 15:49
Wait, wasn't this thread just made a month ago? :confused:

It could be starting the cleansing right now for all we know, what with the flood in the Philippines, the Earthquake in Indonesia, the list goes on. ;)

And I still stand by my theory, which I will find then post. :pi:

Here you go.

Hmm, I have a new crazy wacko comic book geek idea.

Has anyone read Infinite Crisis, or any of the Crises by DC?

Basically there are multiple worlds out there, all vibrating at different speeds. They're all the same yet slightly different.

It could be that the world will not end in 2012, But rather, like Crisis On Infinite Earths (or more correctly, Zero Hour) implies, the world is reborn again, but without any of us noticing simply because. It did happen catastrophically though but by some Deranged Hal Jordan (Or more correctly again, Hank aka Hawk aka whatever they named him, I forgot), they refined the time stream so that nobody remembers, And all that has happened will slowly be repaired and replaced with false memories that fit, but only Time Masters like Rip Hunter, could ever exploit.

So basically were Earth Prime!

:o I know, I'm Deranged.

:)

XBOXCroft
09-10-09, 15:58
The Earth goes, "Spring Cleaning" in Jerry Springer! How does the people react?

6 pints of beer.

LightningRider
09-10-09, 16:05
Don't forget that it happens on Thursday! :cln:

Lara's home
09-10-09, 16:09
Eh, the Maya people is a pretty cool guy. He make calendars and doesn't afraid of anything.

Mad Tony
09-10-09, 16:21
Not. This. Again. :hea:

Why is there a thread on this like every month? I dread to think what's gonna happen when December 2012 comes around - there'll be a new thread literally every day.

interstellardave
09-10-09, 16:23
Not. This. Again. :hea:

Why is there a thread on this like every month? I dread to think what's gonna happen when December 2012 comes around - there'll be a new thread literally every day.

There won't be time for that... people will be too busy looting! :p

Dennis's Mom
09-10-09, 17:22
I remember when everything was coming to an end because of Y2K. This will be another tempest in a teapot.

irjudd
09-10-09, 17:23
I love that comparison! :D

interstellardave
09-10-09, 17:44
Plenty of real work was done to avoid Y2K problems... it doesn't mean the potential was never there.

In this case we don't even know what we're supposed to prevent!

violentblossom
09-10-09, 17:49
Plenty of real work was done to avoid Y2K problems... it doesn't mean the potential was never there.

In this case we don't even know what we're supposed to prevent!

This:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x319/violentblossom/ae1820da02f6a6689b50aaf.gif

interstellardave
09-10-09, 17:55
This:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x319/violentblossom/ae1820da02f6a6689b50aaf.gif

LOL... who comes up with this stuff?!

Nemo_91
09-10-09, 17:59
December 21? Wait, that's my birthday! Oh yeah, I'm the one who will bring the apocalypse!

Draco
09-10-09, 18:49
I remember when everything was coming to an end because of Y2K. This will be another tempest in a teapot.

Yeah, because Y2K has everything to do with the celestial cycles.

LaraLuvrrr
09-10-09, 18:58
*Grabs popcorn*

Yup yup :D

Hollywood is just obsessed with a good apocalyptic story... makes for nice films.

Rai
09-10-09, 19:14
I'm getting serious deja-vu from this thread.I swear even some of the replies are the same. :vlol:

Wasn't the world supposed to end in 2000 according to Nostradamus? I find it difficult to believe all this stuff to be honest. What the Mayans or other ancient civilisations may have believed in their time, doesn't necessarily have to be true now. The Mayan calender could be referring to change rather than actual end. Who knows, we still have 2 years to find out.

maniakatosheto
09-10-09, 20:08
What is this seventh age ...
*yells at lara* Make her shut it down!

Sir Croft
09-10-09, 20:10
I've filed this under "Bull****".

Dennis's Mom
09-10-09, 21:53
Violentblossom, I practically wet myself I LOL'd so hard at that gif. That's brilliant! http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/LisaB1138/smilies/18.gif

thanks goodness I've always been kind to cats!

interstellardave
10-10-09, 08:09
The sad thing about this recurring story is that, while some people get all whacked-out over it and think it means the end of everything, others--in an attempt to debunk it--ignore the very real achievements of the Mayans. The Mayan calender is an incredible thing... it DOES predict the flow of natural celestial cycles that have been otherwise unknown to us until the last few years! The scope of their knowledge in this particular area was remarkably advanced.

For that reason alone I tend to believe that this date is important... the only thing is, that doesn't mean it's "doomsday" as I've said about a million times before. But just because you don't believe it marks the end of humanity, or whatever, doesn't mean you should scrap the whole thing and call it bull****. The only bull**** here is that many people don't have an understanding of it beyond sensationalism.

xXhayleyroxXx
10-10-09, 08:52
well a lot of cultures believed that the end of the world would occur when a dragon would fly over planet x - including the maya.

and come on thats not real :ton:

the mayan calander may or may not be true, but i doubt the end of the world will be in our life :)

Everybody likes a scare, if gives you a thrill and something to keep you on your toes; the Maya were the same.

The Maya & other ancient cultures didnt understand a lot of things - so they adapted their own rules and beliefs - hence the gods instead of weather.
I reckon its just another of the maya's beliefs that we shouldnt believe :hug:

scoopy_loopy
10-10-09, 10:43
Enter Natla, zombie Queen of the Maya, herald of the 7th age!

the ancient
11-10-09, 07:54
The seventh age.... Natla you are all behind this !!!!!!!!
if we believe the world dies evertime the mayas or someone else say that the world is gonna die we would be more than 200 times dead... I think the mayas were just out of paper to finish their calander.

CerebralAssassin
11-10-09, 08:41
oh yeah...the Borg...they're on their way!!!:p

Larapink
11-10-09, 14:31
I wouldn't call this a conspiracy theory it's more of a fact that the Mayan calender stops at that date. People make up stories to go beyond why it stops at that date then it becomes fiction when people add their own story to it.

SpaceChild
11-10-09, 17:20
"Mayan callender"

I hear they have great pies (http://www.mariecallenders.com/), but the only flavor available is blood... :vlol:

'Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think Penn & Teller have already taken the Occam's Razor prize on debunking - nay, owning - 2012 hysteria:

Daa_NvMxDFM&fmt=18

:vlol:

I Need A Map
11-10-09, 19:08
OH NO THERE IS ONLY 1166 DAYS, 4 HOURS, 51 MINS, 47 SECONDS TO GO:yik:
And there was so much I haven't done or have done to me!:D

Laras shadow
12-10-09, 14:01
well i have to agree natla is back! :eek: some one call lara! :ton:

LightningRider
12-10-09, 14:08
"Mayan callender"I hear they have great pies (http://www.mariecallenders.com/), but the only flavor available is blood... :vlol:

Oh, I get it, the world will end by us over consuming Blood Pie... makes sense I guess. :)

XBOXCroft
12-10-09, 14:13
Sarah Palin is the sign.

Make sure she doesn't run for 2012.

LightningRider
12-10-09, 14:32
Sarah Palin is the sign.

Make sure she doesn't run for 2012.

Oh yes, definitely the end of the world. We all thought it was the Mole... but no. It isn't. :pi:

Mad Tony
12-10-09, 14:32
People give Palin way too much attention.

Dennis's Mom
12-10-09, 15:10
True, but in one way it's the "Paris Hilton" sort of attention. I'm not sure how many people actually think she's great POTUS material.

Of course, it's all the same to Sarah. She loves attention. :rolleyes:

ShadyCroft
12-10-09, 15:17
hmm, I thought Sarah Palin won't be running in 2012 as she quit. :confused:

Mad Tony
12-10-09, 15:42
True, but in one way it's the "Paris Hilton" sort of attention. I'm not sure how many people actually think she's great POTUS material.

Of course, it's all the same to Sarah. She loves attention. :rolleyes:She's not actually that bad lol, the media just love poking fun at her. Really, how is Obama any less stupid? (not directed at you by the way).

ShadyCroft
12-10-09, 15:52
yeah, I think people should really base their opinion about Sarah Palin based on her policy, opinions, ideas, character, and not whether she gets cam time as much as Paris Hilton.
Don't forget Michelle Obama is getting huge attention regarding her hair, shoes, dress, bla bla bla...

robm_2007
12-10-09, 15:54
what did the mayans correctly predict before, so that we have some reason to believe them now?

ViNi__
12-10-09, 16:27
they didn't predict nothing, that's just the end of their calendar, meaning a new era to men :)

Dennis's Mom
12-10-09, 16:35
She's not actually that bad lol, the media just love poking fun at her. Really, how is Obama any less stupid? (not directed at you by the way).

Sorry, Tony. I lived in Alaska for five years. We moved there shortly after Murkowski was elected governor and left a little over a year into Sarah's first term. No one's going to blindside me with any "re-imaging" of Sarah the Great Leader, Sarah the Maverick, or Sarah the New Politician. "Appalled" does not begin to cover what my husband and I felt when we heard that she was the VP nominee. I've seen the real Sarah Palin, and the Katie Couric interview surprised me not. She's an intellectual lightweight who only sounds good when speaking glittering generalities because that's all she knows.

She was elected governor of a state where every resident had about a 1 in 600,000 chance of being governor, and that includes children. Only in Alaska . . . .

There's no question in my mind Obama is smarter than Palin. I may not agree with his policies, but at least if he utters the word "fungible" I'll know it wasn't fed to him that morning.

Gabi
12-10-09, 18:20
Errm, could we stay on topic, please?
This is not the Sarah Palin thread.

robm_2007
12-10-09, 19:27
they didn't predict nothing, that's just the end of their calendar, meaning a new era to men :)

so, then, why are ppl making a fuss? whats the reasoning to taking anything they said with any ounce of belief?

why are ppl caring about their calendar? maybe they just died out before it could be continued, or they go tired of updating it.

Draco
12-10-09, 19:56
so, then, why are ppl making a fuss? whats the reasoning to taking anything they said with any ounce of belief?

why are ppl caring about their calendar? maybe they just died out before it could be continued, or they go tired of updating it.

Because their calendar accurately a depicts a shift in our astral position relative to where we have been for the last 5 millennia. The doomsayers seem to think that will mean some bad things for us. All it really means is that the planet itself might be more exciting to live on for awhile if it does anything at all.

Tommy123
12-10-09, 20:46
Because their calendar accurately a depicts a shift in our astral position relative to where we have been for the last 5 millennia. The doomsayers seem to think that will mean some bad things for us. All it really means is that the planet itself might be more exciting to live on for awhile if it does anything at all.
exactly

SpaceChild
13-10-09, 08:08
Oh, I get it, the world will end by us over consuming Blood Pie... makes sense I guess. :)

No, that was me tossing an anal pun on the misspelling of "calendar."

When I see "Callender" I think of pies - but if you don't have a Marie Callender's restaurant nearby you wouldn't get it. :ton:

robm_2007
13-10-09, 15:42

i dont understand what you mean.... the bolded

their calender says where our planet has been since 5 millenia (10,000 years) ago? some thing like that?

Draco
13-10-09, 15:51
i dont understand what you mean.... the bolded

their calender says where our planet has been since 5 millenia (10,000 years) ago? some thing like that?

Calendars are astrological timekeepers, our modern calender is a very simple example of that as it only really keeps track of the annual revolutions that our planet makes, and not very well at that.

The Mayan Long Count Calender does that, but on a much much bigger scale, it literally is perfectly aligned with Sol's (our sun) revolutions around the galactic core. Each time we pass through the Galactic Plain, the calendar starts over.

We are currently leaving the Age of Pisces behind. This is an exciting time to be alive really, because for the entirety of our knowledge and recorded history we have been in the Age of Pisces.

robm_2007
13-10-09, 15:54
so what age are we going into in 2012? what did the mayans predict would happen?

when did we enter the Age of Peices?

Camera Obscura
13-10-09, 15:58
You know, if the world ends on December 21st 2012, it'll be one hell of a birthday for my mom. :vlol:

No. I don't believe in that nonsense. :wve:

Draco
13-10-09, 16:03
so what age are we going into in 2012? what did the mayans predict would happen?

when did we enter the Age of Peices?

Age of Aquarius

The Mayans didn't predict anything.

According to general astrological sources, each age is about 26,000 years.

But since there is no hardline authority on the subject, think of the whole Age thing as a minor detail.

What the Mayan Calendar does for a fact convey is that the human understanding of the universe has actually regressed significantly throughout history.

Laras shadow
13-10-09, 16:36
You know, if the world ends on December 21st 2012, it'll be one hell of a birthday for my mom. :vlol:

No. I don't believe in that nonsense. :wve:

:vlol:she sure will enjoy her b-day:ton:

Dennis's Mom
13-10-09, 17:05
We are currently leaving the Age of Pisces behind. This is an exciting time to be alive really, because for the entirety of our knowledge and recorded history we have been in the Age of Pisces.

Wait a minute--are you saying The Fifth Dimension was lying to us? :yik:

robm_2007
13-10-09, 17:21
According to general astrological sources, each age is about 26,000 years.

But since there is no hardline authority on the subject, think of the whole Age thing as a minor detail.

so, what happens when all of the astrological signs are used up as names for the new ages? do they repeat, all over again?

interstellardave
13-10-09, 17:25
I remember reading somewhere that the exact time of the crossing of the galactic plane is 11:11 on Dec. 21 2012... which feeds into the 11:11 phenomenon which I've experienced for at least 20 years--and which I had no idea was something that literally millions of other people also experience! I've talked to several people personally who all said "I thought I was crazy!" upon hearing that I see 11:11 all the time, and everywhere... and, of course, they admit to seeing it as well.

ViNi__
13-10-09, 22:12

remember the passage from 1999 to 2000? :)
a software problem was enough to people begin to say that the world would end :)
that's basically the same thing...

Draco
14-10-09, 03:16
so, what happens when all of the astrological signs are used up as names for the new ages? do they repeat, all over again?

We will never know.

the ancient
14-10-09, 18:51
well i have to agree natla is back! :eek: some one call lara! :ton:

She cant die !!!!!!!

(have you see the die natla song on youtube? :vlol::vlol::vlol: )

Laras shadow
19-10-09, 16:13
xD thatnorskchick :vlol: u r a genius it is hillarious:vlol::vlol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6quX6Fs2fQ

Chocola teapot
19-10-09, 16:14
Is a load of Hoey! :p

maniakatosheto
19-10-09, 17:19
I'll eat the baddies :mis: And we can all shoot natla in the face :) and Smash her with a pillar! :yah: then the 7th age will go boom X3

Lara Croft!
20-10-09, 11:50
The Mayans/ Egyptians and all great civilizations, studied the stars and nature in ways our scientists cannot explain today. The Mayans didn't offer some random prophecy, like Nostradamus did. They studied the movements of the stars and based on that, they made a prediction.

I believe that a disaster may occur in 2012, but not one that will destroy the world. Perhaps an earthquake or a tsunami, that will harm a part of the world. I wish of course the Mayans were wrong. But in case such an event happens, governments must be prepared.

The last decades the planet is going from bad to worse... Global Warming, the melting of the Poles, mass destruction of forests, more and more animals in danger of extinction. One does not need a degree in ancient cultures or a prophecy to see that unless we change our way of life, this planet won't be holding us for ever.