PDA

View Full Version : Polls and such...

Mikky
10-10-09, 12:49
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we get polls by asking the mods in our threads?

I've asked for polls in 2 of my threads and still nothing!

And why can't we, ourselves, make our own polls?!

scoopy_loopy
10-10-09, 12:54
I think the reasons behind it were that there were fears the general chat section would become a total mess with polls here, there and everywhere. Based on what Ive seen else where, Id say our system is pretty good.

Alex Shepherd
10-10-09, 12:55
what about making polls only on TR threads and not off-topic threads?

Nerd For Life
10-10-09, 12:58
I think the reasons behind it were that there were fears the general chat section would become a total mess with polls here, there and everywhere. Based on what Ive seen else where, Id say our system is pretty good.

I can just imagine "What's your favourite colour?" and "Braid or ponytail?" polls every two days.

scoopy_loopy
10-10-09, 12:58
I can just imagine "What's your favourite colour?" and "Braid or ponytail?" polls every two days.

Exactly :tmb:

Admles
10-10-09, 13:10
One of the most awesome aspects of this forum is that you need Mods to make polls; I hate when you see forums just covered in stupid polls

adventurerLara
10-10-09, 13:15
The feature would be abused. Simple as.

Paddy
10-10-09, 13:18
One of the most awesome aspects of this forum is that you need Mods to make polls; I hate when you see forums just covered in stupid polls

No worse then some of the stupid threads too :p
As for being abused as a feature, I agree but then the post thread button gets that too.

Nenya awakens
10-10-09, 14:02
On another thread i visit when you go to create a new thread and start typing in the thread name it brings up a list underneath with matching thread already created so you don't create a duplicate thread or poll. I think that would be a good idea to have here.

I agree that having the power to create our own polls would end badly!!

violentblossom
10-10-09, 20:24
Try requesting one via PM. ;)

Minty Mouth
10-10-09, 20:27
Polls dont really matter to me...the system we have here makes sense.

Mytly
10-10-09, 20:29
Mikky, if you want a poll, it would be better to ask a mod via PM. And polls cannot be added to already existing threads by regular mods (only super-mods & admins have that power), so it's best to ask for a poll before making a thread.

Phlip
10-10-09, 20:41

True. :vlol:

Dina_Croft
10-10-09, 21:01
Some rules are TOO tight but in this one I agree...:pi:

Mikky
11-10-09, 13:35
Mikky, if you want a poll, it would be better to ask a mod via PM. And polls cannot be added to already existing threads by regular mods (only super-mods & admins have that power), so it's best to ask for a poll before making a thread.

How can I do that, you know, ask a mod via PM?

violentblossom
11-10-09, 13:37
How can I do that, you know, ask a mod via PM?

You send a mod a pm asking for one. Do you know how to send those?

LightningRider
11-10-09, 13:39
Click on their username, click the private message button that pops up, and just write a message. ;)

Reggie
11-10-09, 14:24
On another thread i visit when you go to create a new thread and start typing in the thread name it brings up a list underneath with matching thread already created so you don't create a duplicate thread or poll. I think that would be a good idea to have here.

I agree that having the power to create our own polls would end badly!!

Agreed on the polls thing. No point when you can ask a mod who's there to treat such features responsibly otherwise everyone'll be putting up random questions, especially here in Gen Chat! :p

I like the idea of the list coming up when you type in a thread title. I think the worst time in TRF was when the search feature wasn't available and there was at the same time, a 1 month bump rule which meant that perfectly good threads that served their purpous weren't even being referred back to after a couple weeks of inactivity. It made the place feel like a chatroom where topics feel transient in how long they can run for which diminishes the quality of conversation. Things have improved since then though. :)

Larapink
11-10-09, 14:27
It's just how the rules are around here, just accept it. :p

Noodleboy
11-10-09, 14:32
I think some rules are ridiculous :rolleyes:

On all the other forums I go to, everything is fine. You can change your own avatar, post a poll and everything. And nobody's abusing it

Dina_Croft
11-10-09, 16:26

On all the other forums I go to, everything is fine. You can change your own avatar, post a poll and everything. And nobody's abusing it

Exactly..Escpecialy the avatar rule is just rediculous...Or the swearing rule..that's the one i hate..:vlol:

scion05
11-10-09, 16:36
Alot of forums have sub-forums specifically for polls, I think we should have one of them, they'd prove VERY popular.

tombofwinston
11-10-09, 16:42
Alot of forums have sub-forums specifically for polls, I think we should have one of them, they'd prove VERY popular.

Yep and General chat wouldn't be littered with tonnes of Polls.

Admles
11-10-09, 18:18
Being able to change our own Avatar I wouldn't mind, but I guess they have their reasons for it - this way they can control the content.

But we just don't need to be able to make polls, it would be abused within days.

Mikky
16-10-09, 15:55

Exactly! Why make things so hard to do around here?

Quasimodo
16-10-09, 15:59
I don't mind the poll rules. As far as I know, the avatar restrictions have more to do with bandwidth limitations than security. Who knows really.