PDA

View Full Version : My Experience with Tomb Raider: Legend

bgates87
11-10-09, 05:52
Hi everyone, I just finished this game for the first time and felt like sharing my experience with you all. I'll start out with my overall rating and then how I felt about some of the other aspects of the game.

Overall Rating: 6.5/10

I enjoyed playing the game, but as a Tomb Raider game something was just not quite right. Maybe I'm a little biased from all of the nostalgic memories attached to my first experiences with the classic Tomb Raider series, but to me it seems like the modern games are missing some very critical yet completely abstract element that separated the early Tomb Raider games from all other games. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Story and Characters: 6/10

I was interested to learn about the history of Lara's family, but I didn't realize that would be the motivation for the entire story. This is Tomb Raider, isn't there supposed to be a threat to the existence of humanity or something? I liked that they featured Arthurian Legend, although I don't really feel like they did it justice.

As for the characters, although I didn't like the story that much I did like the development of Lara's character as well as that of Amanda's. Alister and Zip were good for information and comic relief but to me their presence actually took away from what I believe is (or was, and should be) one of the most important themes of the Tomb Raider series; Isolation.

Gameplay, Graphics, and Level Design: 7/10

The gameplay was just OK, not that good. Controls were GREAT, but maybe I just feel that way because the last Tomb Raider game I played was Angel of Darkness :hea: Graphics were beautiful of course, Tomb Raider games have always sported some of the best graphics given the technology available at the time of their development. There were lots of great visual moments. The biggest problem I had with this game though was the length. I finished this game in one day; I started this morning and finished a few hours ago. The older games took weeks to finish, months during the school year. Are the games really getting shorter, or am I just getting better?

Final Thoughts:

I think the one thing this game is really missing is fear. What made the classic games so fun for me was that feeling of dread I got when I crept around a dark corner with my guns drawn, ready to blast the Hell out of whatever was waiting for me. The feeling of terror when I was being chased down a submerged tunnel by an angry crocodile, and the shivers I got when I pulled out of the water with it nipping at my heels. The adrenaline rush of sliding down a slope into a dark abyss, knowing there's no way back up and there's almost certainly a bunch of nasty things waiting at the bottom for you. The uneasy anticipation of walking down a long hallway, being absolutely certain that the statue beside me is about to come to life and attack- then the floor falls out from under me and I fall into a pit full of spikes.

I don't remember feeling any of those things when I played this game.

Tony9595
11-10-09, 17:34

That's my biggest complain about Legend, it just doesn't feels like a Tomb Raider game.

aurora89
11-10-09, 17:46
I agree. It feels much different. I call it Barbie's Magical Archaeological Adventure. >_< Very pretty, relatively fun, totally not Tomb Raider.

msalpha2omega
11-10-09, 18:03
:wve: Same here, I love what you say in your Final Thoughts... I liked Legend, though.. It was something different....

TR_chick89
12-10-09, 01:26
Yes, the game did miss a lot of elements that made Tomb Raider. And it's like now you can't really get attached to the game or rather replaying over and over unless you want to unlock stuff. I'm playing TR3 currently and I am so stuck to it because of the music, the challenges(despite the water puzzles in Lud's Gate) and the scenery; everything is beautiful about it. Same with TR2.

TRGamer8
13-11-09, 16:05
TR Legend is one of my favourie games.
The gameplay, garaphics, and stroy is great. Overall 10/10 :D:D:D:D

almayah
21-11-09, 18:17
Overall Rating: 6.5/10

I enjoyed playing the game, but as a Tomb Raider game something was just not quite right. Maybe I'm a little biased from all of the nostalgic memories attached to my first experiences with the classic Tomb Raider series, but to me it seems like the modern games are missing some very critical yet completely abstract element that separated the early Tomb Raider games from all other games. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Yeah i totaly agree there was something missing i don't know what. Must be that i miss tombs and everything, that's why anniversary is ideal ;);)

MelikeLara
21-11-09, 20:47
i'd rate it 8/10, i love this game. one of my favourites in the series, i'll individually rate it though anyway.
gameplay 7/10 good but quite simple to grasp
graphics 9.5/10 brilliant cartoony feel with a touch of realism
story 8/10 bit too short but good overall

*laralover*
22-11-09, 09:16
Exactly how i felt after finishing the game in 2 days :(

LCFan123
22-11-09, 10:02
I think the one thing this game is really missing is fear. What made the classic games so fun for me was that feeling of dread I got when I crept around a dark corner with my guns drawn, ready to blast the Hell out of whatever was waiting for me. The feeling of terror when I was being chased down a submerged tunnel by an angry crocodile, and the shivers I got when I pulled out of the water with it nipping at my heels. The adrenaline rush of sliding down a slope into a dark abyss, knowing there's no way back up and there's almost certainly a bunch of nasty things waiting at the bottom for you. The uneasy anticipation of walking down a long hallway, being absolutely certain that the statue beside me is about to come to life and attack- then the floor falls out from under me and I fall into a pit full of spikes.

You're so right with that. Totally what I think. Those elements just are missing in Legend and also TRA & TRU.