PDA

View Full Version : When in rome..

jaywalker
12-10-09, 08:40
As the saying goes, "When in Rome do what the romans do". which we took to mean "take a lot of pics (700+) make facebook melt when you upload the lot to its servers to share with family and friends, then upload a few to flickr and share with everyone else" :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywalker2309/sets/72157622567766744/

Was an amazing place, truly loved it.. and even got to meet the pope, by sheer chance and friendliness of an african clergyman :)

Reggie
12-10-09, 08:45
Nice pictures seems like you had a good time. :tmb:
And how many people can claim to have met the pope!?

jaywalker
12-10-09, 08:50
i know was definitely not something planned on doing :) we were just queuing up outside to get in like a normal tourist when this guy was like `do u have tickets for the service` we were like `erm, service?` he gave us a ticket and said enjoy the show.. if we hadnt got that we wouldnt have got in, and definitely wouldnt have spent the next 4 hours inside the church itself watching the whole thing :) am not a religious person (even tho was educated by priests - long story dont ask) but was quite a spectacle :)

Rivendell
12-10-09, 08:53
Great pictures! Saw lots on Laurie's facebook page. Meeting the pope, eh? :D
I love Rome! :hug:

jaywalker
12-10-09, 08:59
i kept singing the elbow song in my head over and over :)

Gabi
12-10-09, 09:04
Looks like you've had a good time.
And meeting the Pope, I bet that was a somewhat "different" holiday experience.

Johnnay
12-10-09, 09:07
Hope that your trip was good

I wanna go to Italy

jaywalker
12-10-09, 09:13
Cant recommend it enough :) BUT plan ahead.. dont just turn up and expect to get into everything.. Its a case of early starts (we got up at 6am every day) and some museums were booked up for days :(

Croft_Original
12-10-09, 09:15
Nice pics:tmb:, looks like you had a good time and the sun was shining:D

BTW: How do they know how tall Jesus was?:confused::)

Croft.

jaywalker
12-10-09, 09:15
Nice pics:tmb:, looks like you had a good time and the sun was shining:D

BTW: How do they know how tall Jesus was?:confused::)

Croft.

THEY know everything ;) the men in suits that is.. hehe as i said i aint a religious person, so am guessing those who ARE go on `faith` ;)

Punaxe
12-10-09, 09:37
What did you think to be the most impressive you've seen there? (Besides the pope, if that was going to be your answer.)

I remember I was most amazed by Saint Peter's Basilica, but the structure I liked best was the Pantheon - may seem rather dull in comparison but somehow the atmosphere inside it was just great.
Been a long time ago that I've visited though... Should go back once.

jaywalker
12-10-09, 10:03
What did you think to be the most impressive you've seen there? (Besides the pope, if that was going to be your answer.)

I remember I was most amazed by Saint Peter's Basilica, but the structure I liked best was the Pantheon - may seem rather dull in comparison but somehow the atmosphere inside it was just great.
Been a long time ago that I've visited though... Should go back once.

oh yeh the pantheon was truly amazing. Pompei was probably a highlight for sheer size of it and how much remains etc.. Will be going back off `track` so to speak so will be on our own no guides (they took where they wanted to go and missed so much)

Croft_Original
12-10-09, 10:10
THEY know everything ;) the men in suits that is.. hehe as i said i aint a religious person, so am guessing those who ARE go on `faith` ;)

Aah, I would have used a ruler:rolleyes:;):)

Croft.

Another Lara
12-10-09, 12:11
Damn, first day of my diet and I'm already craving that pizza again!

So gutted to be back... 6 months left till we return! :(

Ikas90
12-10-09, 12:40
I iz jealous. I want to go to Rome! Hopefully I will next year! :D

Looks like you two had a great time! :)

jaywalker
12-10-09, 12:42
Be strong hunny :hug: we'll be back

Catapharact
12-10-09, 12:43
Damn... Rome was one of my destinations on the Europe trek me took this year but things came up and I had to cancel my visit there. Those shots look amazing. Maybe I should skip out on my trip to Madrid and should go to Rome instead.

xx_Hunt_xx
12-10-09, 12:49
Ahhhhh im going to Rome with my best mate late in 2010! :D i cant wait.
Glad you had a good time, makes me more excited to go!

jaywalker
12-10-09, 13:53
You wont be disappointed, well as long as you like ya cities ancient and ya tourists thick and plentiful.. I hate to say but there was almost too many `stupid` tourists who really didnt have a clue WHAT Rome was about or the Vatican..

Kid you not, we heard "why do they remove the heads of the statues?" and "why put all these ruins in the middle of the city?" as just an example of the random silliness we came across.

Made me think of this sketch ;) oh i so wanted to do the following :)

1RaGVwebWQ0

tlr online
12-10-09, 15:05
As the saying goes, "When in Rome do what the romans do". which we took to mean "take a lot of pics (700+) make facebook melt when you upload the lot to its servers to share with family and friends, then upload a few to flickr and share with everyone else" :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaywalker2309/sets/72157622567766744/

Was an amazing place, truly loved it.. and even got to meet the pope, by sheer chance and friendliness of an african clergyman :)

Very nice Jay :tmb:

Marianna12
12-10-09, 15:06
Great pics, glad you had fun!:tmb:
*jealous*

ShadyCroft
12-10-09, 15:20
Oh my BELLISIMO !! :jmp: I've always wanted to go to Rome, and my desire grew more and more after reading Angels and Demons, watching the movie, seeing Italy on the Amazing Race show....:D

Great pics, Jay ! :tmb: Glad you had fun and thank you for sharing the pics with us.
How many days did you guys stay there ? How much did you see btw ? Were you guys alone or in a package tour ?
and last but not least, how did that Pizza taste ? :p

robm_2007
12-10-09, 15:42
wait did you actually meet the Pope, or just see him?

either way, thats quite a story to tell.

jaywalker
12-10-09, 16:03
Shadycroft-

Angels and Demons does skip around the city really quickly and doesnt show the real places (permissions not allowed for real thing etc) also they chose the `prettier` church for the chapel of raphael, they kinda flash between the fronts of the churches as the ones on otherside are prettier and rounder :)

We stayed for 6 nights, in a holiday inn just outside the city walls (walked from there to vatican without realising it on our first day - over 10 mile walk but was nice, cept for the heat).. we saw most of the bigger name sights and a few smaller ones. Lots more to see tho for next time.

We were on our own no package tour, cept for Pompei which we took a guided tour for first time. Will go on our own next time tho.

For mass-produced-served-by-the-slice pizza was very tasty indeed :)

robm_2007 -

Well we were within `personal space` of him :) but didnt actually say owt to him :) but we did get blessed by him :)

Lemmie
12-10-09, 16:25
Rome is too cool. (Well, not in summertime!)

I want to go back soon!

Glad you had a great time. :D