PDA

View Full Version : To halt divorce rate: Free honeymoons for married couples in Malaysia

Shark_Blade
12-10-09, 09:13
Source (http://in.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idINTRE59B0NN20091012)

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters Life!) - Malaysia's eastern state of Terengganu is offering free honeymoons worth up to $440 each to rekindle the romance between married couples on the brink of divorce.

The honeymoon package comes with some counseling and is an attempt to slow soaring divorce rates in the state, according to The Star newspaper reported on Monday.

"We can understand newlyweds having problems understanding one another, where a slight skirmish could lead to a separation but it is unacceptable for those married more than two decades to file for divorce," the paper quoted Terengganu Welfare Community Development and Women Affairs committee chairman, Ashaari Idris, as saying.

The conservative Muslim state did not disclose divorce rates.

Idris said the state had carried out a successful pilot project where 25 couples facing marital woes were selected for three-day honeymoon package that cost around 1,500 ringgit ($440) per couple.

Malaysia is a predominantly Muslim country. Under Islam, divorce is allowed, but frowned upon, with the Prophet Mohammed saying divorce was, in the eyes of God, the most distasteful lawful act.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't believe those lucky married couples. Due to the increasing rate of divorces in this country, the govt is doing their part to ensure the citizen's marriage are safe lol.:D

MiCkiZ88
12-10-09, 09:23
Anything to keep your country productive I suppose.. I wouldn't mind a free honeymoon though! :D

iamlaracroft
12-10-09, 09:25
"We can understand newlyweds having problems understanding one another, where a slight skirmish could lead to a separation but it is unacceptable for those married more than two decades to file for divorce,"

Really? It's unacceptable that after spending twenty plus years of one's life (of which they can never get back) with someone whom they've grown to despise and have no romantic feelings towards, they'd want to get divorced?
Jesus. You only live once. The only thing worse than spending twenty years of your life stuck in a boring, loveless marriage is spending twenty years and one day in one.

xXhayleyroxXx
12-10-09, 10:08
i think it's a great idea :) xx

scoopy_loopy
12-10-09, 10:15
I think its silly. The government should start telling people pre-marital sex is fine and healthy....

drakl0r
12-10-09, 10:33
Wow is that true?

I've never been to Terengganu actually :D

But yeah, I agree that some couple may benefit from this :)

Thorir
12-10-09, 10:41
If you are concidering divorcing your partner in the first place, I doubt a nice trip is going to help.

iamlaracroft
12-10-09, 11:07
If you are concidering divorcing your partner in the first place, I doubt a nice trip is going to help.

Agreed. It's a little late for honeymoons once divorce attorneys are involved :whi:

da tomb raider!
12-10-09, 12:16
Whilst I'm all for attempts to slow divorce rates, I don't really think this is going to work. As many others have already pointed out, if a couple doesn't like each other already, honeymoons probably aren't going to help much, free or otherwise. What the government of Malaysia (and all the other countries with a high divorce rate, for that matter) really needs to do is to simply try to get people to be more tolerant towards each other, I reckon. It seems to me that a lot of divorces/breakups (not all of them, mind) are often down to a small quarrel or some such. I'm not saying everyone should become completely complacent with their partners, but when two people are living under the same roof for a long period of time, the odd annoyance and argument with each other is inevitable. As such, people shouldn't take such incidents so seriously and try to be more accommodating towards each other. If people could only tolerate the bad times (so long as they aren't that bad, of course) as opposed to separating at the first chance they get, perhaps the divorce rate would lower than it is right now...

Shark_Blade
12-10-09, 12:21
Maybe a nice trip together will do before the bloody divorce battle for properties lol. :p /jk But yes, I don't think it'll work if the couples doesn't get along in the first place. Divorce will still happen sooner or later.

For those who are not divorcing anytime soon, this will be a good incentive to spend time together lovingly without paying a cent!

Catapharact
12-10-09, 12:23
If people could only tolerate the bad times (so long as they aren't that bad, of course) as opposed to separating at the first chance they get, perhaps the divorce rate would lower than it is right now...

Well that's the thing though; Given how the current generation is always in search of the quick and easy fixes as opposed to actually working hard to achieve the given goal (just take Liposuction for instance :whi:) its no wonder that divorce rates are on the rise these days. I wonder sometimes as to if people these days want to get married with a solid idea about the commitment involved in the given union.

Having said that, this given plan is more stupid then trying to stop a tsunami with a nuclear bomb. I get what they are trying to do; If you send em on another honeymoon, chances are they get to make even better memories and they might stay togather. Well that's just masking the problem thats plauging the given couple's marriage.

Rai
12-10-09, 12:24
The article does state that couples will also be offered some counselling. It might be better to give more couple counselling instead of a holiday.

If the counselling works the couple might want to pay for their own honeymoon. :p

Ikas90
12-10-09, 12:38
Could turn into a free trip opportunity for those who would dump their partners straight afterwards.

Just speculating. I'm not pessimistic don't worry. :p

Andyroo
06-12-09, 04:38
You'd think newlyweds actually loved eachother, to get married. But have no problem throwing it down the tubes.

Jeez, if people get married and then devorced soon after, they deserve it.

scoopy_loopy
06-12-09, 08:22
^ They do it so they can have sex. Malayasia is very religious and conservative... so of course the young are going to rush into stupid decisions made with lust controlling their thought processes.

Chocola teapot
06-12-09, 08:53
How Lovely. :)

voltz
06-12-09, 10:08
4 years is the general rule before marriage, anything sooner then that and you know you have a 50% chance or greater it'll blow apart on you.

lara c. fan
06-12-09, 11:46
Seriously??
Wow...
Free honeymoons

Reggie
06-12-09, 12:03
Sounds like a massive waste of money to me.

Capt. Murphy
06-12-09, 14:31
Ha. Watch, like, a whole bunch of people start to suddenly have "marriage troubles". :whi:

Catracoth
06-12-09, 14:35
To halt divorce rate: Free honeymoons for married couples in Malaysia

"I want a divorce."
"We can't honey, remember, we had a free honeymoon!"
"Oh yeah."

Really?
:rolleyes:

rowanlim
06-12-09, 14:41
I honestly think this is ridiculous. I don't like the idea of the government using taxpayer's money to pay for people to get back together. If I were married, I could use that money to go for a honeymoon too.

They have to disclose more information on why people are getting divorce, why the divorce rates are a concern & what would be the best solution for it. Throwing money away without justification is irresponsible.

Sometimes I think Malaysia needs to buck up.

patriots88888
06-12-09, 14:44
And how exactly does this halt the divorce rate? If anything, it only lends to support it. Couples getting married for the free ride if you will. Honestly it's a stupid idea.

rowanlim
08-12-09, 12:15
And how exactly does this halt the divorce rate? If anything, it only lends to support it. Couples getting married for the free ride if you will. Honestly it's a stupid idea.

See? It's a flawed logic, somehow they think that having a honeymoon would make people fix their marriage. And you're right, married couples will manipulate this idea to get a free honeymoon. People can sink so low.

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 12:48
This is very fiscally irresponsible.