PDA

View Full Version : Gluten-free TRFers

aurora89
13-10-09, 22:23
Any of you out there? My nutritionist wants me to give GF another try. I did it for about a month last year and it helped a lot but... actually, I have no idea why I went off the GF diet. It was kind of stupid, really. >_<

So, is anyone gluten or wheat intolerant here? *waits while crickets chirp*

scoopy_loopy
15-10-09, 06:51
:tmb: I eat gluten free aswell :)

(Although sometimes I cheat on weekends and turn a blind eye to a gluten-containing ingrediant in a block of chocolate :p )

aurora89
15-10-09, 06:54
woohoo! I knew I couldn't be the only one. :jmp: Have you tried Pamela's pecan shortbread cookies? Best. cookie. evar. I like it better than 99% (or 100, maybe) of all the gluten cookies out there... it's so tasty! I couldn't believe it was gluten free, lol. It's so nice to find foods that are gluten free but also so tasty you just can't believe there's no wheat or gluten in them. :D I found cheesecake at the grocery store near my flat that is GF/WF... yummy.

ETA: Yeah, I don't see myself being uber strict with it. I'm not going to eat anything obviously bad, but avoiding all oat products because of possible contamination? Never eating anything that shares a facility with wheat-containing food? Unless I start reacting to minute amounts, which I don't seem to, I just can't be bothered to do that. But I am mostly trying hard not to eat wheat/gluten. :)

scoopy_loopy
15-10-09, 06:56
Lol, Ive never seen that brand... but Im probably on the other side of the world to you :p

Yeah, I like finding really good tasting things that are GF aswell, although its not that bad. Most pasta's taste the same, mostly beacuse most sauces are naturally GF aswell...

As for cheese cake, If its on weekends Ill eat it - but Ill cut the biscuit crumb bottom off and hope to the gods that I wont have cramps the rest of the weekend for indulging myself :p

aurora89
15-10-09, 07:00
Hm, I thought someone in Europe also had Pamela's, but it may not be in your country.

The cheesecake I found is crustless. I think most New York style cheesecakes (if you have them, I suppose!) are crust-free, and the grocery store brand I buy uses cornstarch instead of wheat flour. I was so surprised and happy to find it. :D I love cheesecake.

scoopy_loopy
15-10-09, 07:02
Cheesecake is simply amazing :)

Also I just noticed the second half of your post a couple back... Im like that aswell, Im dont avoid products that say "may contain gluten by way of processing equipment"... that would rule out so much food!

*laralover*
15-10-09, 12:22
A nice i didnt know there were other Coeliacs on forums :) Im allergic to everything wheat,oats,barley and rye. I went on my diet when i was about 12/13 (21 now) at first it was hard but now im used to it and as a result my diet is more healthy. The annoying part is that i also have a skin allergy...some form of Dermititis and it sucks majorly. If it wasnt for that id be happy so yeah i do have problems getting to know some people because of this. Do any of you guys ever get fed up of meeting people and going "well hay i have to eat this and this" then they ask if you can eat something or say sorry if you cant have cake :vlol:

scoopy_loopy
15-10-09, 13:58
I hate it when people ask me out for dinner, because I know Im going to be a hassel :p

(But I hate going out for dinner anyway, I prefer to eat at home and then go out)

ThatNorskChick
15-10-09, 14:10
My sister has to eat gluten free so I've been having to eat some of it lately. I don't think I could live like that though. :p

scoopy_loopy
15-10-09, 14:13
Awe, Its really not that bad. If anything the only things Ive had to cut out are pasta's, breads and cereals... for which there are gluten free version's off, so its all good :D

ThatNorskChick
15-10-09, 14:21
I've had some of the pastas, they are pretty good...but after a week of eating it, I ran to the store and bought mega-gluten-packed pasta and just poured it all in my mouth right there in the aisle. All the bread I've tasted was friggin' weird. I'm stupidly picky about my food as it is. :o

disneyprincess20
15-10-09, 14:21
My mother has to. The gluten free pasta you can get isn't all that bad.

I don't, but I understand how hard it can be to eat gluten free.

scoopy_loopy
15-10-09, 14:24
I've had some of the pastas, they are pretty good...but after a week of eating it, I ran to the store and bought mega-gluten-packed pasta and just poured it all in my mouth right there in the aisle. All the bread I've tasted was friggin' weird. I'm stupidly picky about my food as it is. :o

I totally dont blame you. It really does get to you after awhile, I swear to god, the number of times my ****ty little "gluten free" loaves run out of bread and Im left staring at all the delicious assorted gluten-packed breads my family has... well... its tempting :p

aurora89
15-10-09, 16:54
Well, I don't have coeliac's disease afaik (I asked my nutritionist if she thought I should get tested but she didn't think so, said it was probably just a sensitivity since I don't have much in the way of digestive problems, just extreme lethargy and muscle stiffness and other issues shortly after eating wheat/gluten), but I still avoid it. :)

Maybe (haha! My fingers just started to type Natla instead of Maybe, lol) the pastas have improved since my brother was WF, but I remember the corn and rice pastas being gag-worthy when I was little. I haven't even bothered with them since. I'm generally not big on substitutes, especially the tapioca or rice bread stuff... for one thing it reminds me too much of the real thing and gives me a placebo reaction (kind of a repulsed "why the heck am I eating this poison?" feeling, heh) and I would rather just not eat something than eat a gross substitute. most of the time.

I think I'm lucky that I got to the point where I just HATED wheat products and got so sick just from the idea of them and still had to keep eating them to finish off what I had that I *hopefully* won't be too tempted in the future. My aunt is WF (and sugar free too, only eats honey and maple syrup) and she's similar in that regard. When I think of pizza my first reaction isn't "OHHH WANT!!!" It's kind of a stiffening in my muscles and the sick, tired feeling I get from eating it-- I suppose it's conditioning, lol. But yeah, it makes me sick enough I just can't feel excited about eating it.

*laralover*
16-10-09, 00:40
I hate it when people ask me out for dinner, because I know Im going to be a hassel :p

(But I hate going out for dinner anyway, I prefer to eat at home and then go out)

Same here. Iv been to some chinese places and i remember once all i had to eat was a bowl of rice and Crispy Won tons (made from wheat starch) and everyone else had huge meals :p I tend to make all my own food though with all my own ingrediants :D Its sort of annoying getting stuff from the chemist. I cant buy bread and pasta because its bloody expensive but because im 21 if im working i have to pay for my food at the chemist which i think is just wrong :mad: Hm im also really small and really young looking and skinny and i think its because of Gluten. Well young and small people have always been in my family :p but i think the allergy makes it a bit worse.

ihatecold17
16-10-09, 00:44
Im not celiac..but my sister is. Some of the stuff she eats isnt so bad, but she still eats wheat, then complains about her stomach aches..lol. she also cant eat salmon, chicken, she shouldnt eat yeast, chocolate, tomato, and very little milk...shes kind of limited.

aurora89
16-10-09, 00:47
Same here. Iv been to some chinese places and i remember once all i had to eat was a bowl of rice and Crispy Won tons (made from wheat starch) and everyone else had huge meals :p I tend to make all my own food though with all my own ingrediants :D Its sort of annoying getting stuff from the chemist. I cant buy bread and pasta because its bloody expensive but because im 21 if im working i have to pay for my food at the chemist which i think is just wrong :mad: Hm im also really small and really young looking and skinny and i think its because of Gluten. Well young and small people have always been in my family :p but i think the allergy makes it a bit worse.

O_o I'm 20 and broke and it's not that hard to find food... what's wrong with veggies and sweet potatoes and the like? :confused: Chinese is one of the easiest places for me to find food at...

scoopy_loopy
16-10-09, 11:12

Oh for me its been the opposite, as soon as I went gluten free - I started putting on weight, it was great :D

aurora89
16-10-09, 15:49
Oh for me its been the opposite, as soon as I went gluten free - I started putting on weight, it was great :D

I'm hoping I lose weight without gluten. :hea: I mysteriously gained over 30 lbs in 5 months a few years back right around the time I got sick. My nutritionist thinks there's a connection, especially because sometimes if you're malnourished your body will put on weight because it thinks it's starving even if it's not.

*laralover*
16-10-09, 18:27

Well i seem to take ages to put on weight but thats because of my metabolism :o

I Need A Map
16-10-09, 18:38
I would eat your hand if you put it in front of me! I have a very high metabolism anyway so gluten free foods dont worry me:D

KIKO
16-10-09, 19:21
There are people who do it because they want and there are those who do it because they need to. When I was a kid I had to eat gluten-free food or otherwise I'd vomit, loose weight... Nowadays I eat just about anything but as it is a cronic desease, in my case, it can return. Well it's a big sacrifice to watch people eat stuff you can't but gluten-free stuff are delicious as well but expensive.

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 14:28
^ Yeah, its turned into abit of a fad with Women's magazine's here... I guess it can force you to make healthier eating decisions... and I have been since I went Gluten free. Not to mention it rules out beer :p

aurora89
21-10-09, 20:46
Yeah, I turn legal drinking age in the US in about 4 months... I need to figure out what alcohols are okay, lol.

scoopy_loopy
22-10-09, 03:16
Hehe, pretty much everything is fine. Just stay away from beer's and ciders.... mostly. Go for vodka based drinks :tmb:

*laralover*
22-10-09, 03:30
Hehe, pretty much everything is fine. Just stay away from beer's and ciders.... mostly. Go for vodka based drinks :tmb:

Actally Wine and Cider are the only drinks i can drink they dont have wheat in them lol Vodka has though but im ok as i rarely even drink :D

CandicoTT
22-10-09, 21:29
My mom can only eat gluten-free foods it's a euhring's disease and like 1 and a millon people have it, it's rare. It's really hard for her... but atleast she didn't get cancer.

Peanut
22-10-09, 21:47
Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you actually ate something with Gluton in it and your Allergic to it?

aurora89
22-10-09, 22:00
Well, I'm eating wheat/gluten now *gag* because I didn't want the last of my food to go to waste. :( Anyways, I tend to gain weight/get bloated (seriously, I'll probably gain 5 lbs overnight) and then I get really tired and achey and nauseous almost immediately after. Long term it seems to block my absorption of vitamins and minerals, and so when it's all I really eat (i.e. when I was at home last summer) I get extremely malnourished. Summer of '08 doctors were scared I had a brain tumour or rapid-onset MS because I had periods where I couldn't speak and episodes of full-body twitching and spasming uncontrollably (like my arm would fly up and hit the wall involuntarily). Turns out I was just so low on iron that my backups were empty and my muscles weren't getting adequate oxygen or nutrition. O_O So I'm dealing with all of that by going off wheat/gluten, taking megadoses of vitamins and minerals, and doing lots of cardio (to get oxygen to all the cells). I think most people just have digestive troubles and cramps when they eat it.