PDA

View Full Version : Ufo

Alex Shepherd
14-10-09, 01:29
Can we have a UFO thread here?

Unidentified flying object (commonly abbreviated as UFO or U.F.O.) is the popular term for any aerial phenomenon whose cause cannot be easily or immediately identified. The United States Air Force, which coined the term in 1952, initially defined UFOs as those objects that remain unidentified after scrutiny by expert investigators, though the term UFO is often used more generally to describe any sighting unidentifiable to the reporting observer(s). Popular culture frequently takes the term UFO as a synonym for alien spacecraft. Cults have become associated with UFOs, and mythology and folklore have evolved around the phenomenon. Some investigators now prefer to use the broader term unidentified aerial phenomenon (or UAP), to avoid the confusion and speculative associations that have become attached to UFO. Another widely known acronym for UFO in Spanish, French, Portuguese and Italian is OVNI.

Studies have established that the majority of UFOs are observations of some real but conventional object—most commonly aircraft, balloons, or astronomical objects such as meteors or bright planets—that have been misidentified by the observer as anomalies while a small percentage of reported UFOs are hoaxes. Only a small percentage of reported sightings (usually 5 to 20%) can be classified as unidentified flying objects in the strictest sense (see below for some studies).

Some scientists have argued that all UFO sightings are misidentifications of natural phenomena and historically, there was debate among some scientists about whether scientific investigation was warranted given available empirical data. Very little peer-reviewed literature has been published in which scientists have proposed, studied or supported non-prosaic explanations for UFOs. Allen Hynek was a trained astronomer who participated in Project Bluebook after doing research as a federal government employee. He formed the opinion that some UFO reports could not be scientifically explained. Through his founding of the Center for UFO Studies and participation at CUFOs he spent the rest of his life researching and documenting UFOs. The movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind had a character loosely based on Hynek. Another group studying UFOs is Mutual UFO Network. MUFON is a grass roots based organization known for publishing one of the first UFO investigators handbooks. This handbook went into great detail on how to document alleged UFO sightings.

UFO reports became frequent after the first widely publicized U.S. sighting, reported by private pilot Kenneth Arnold in 1947, that gave rise to the popular terms "flying saucer" and "flying disc." Since then, millions of people have reported that they have seen UFOs.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UJEYzrrGt4Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UJEYzrrGt4Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yxyWu4DdKYw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yxyWu4DdKYw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Had anybody seen a UFO, what do you think is it about? Aliens? Rocks flying in space, moving stars...? What do you think.

Strange UFOs crossed my country, still NASA continue searching about this but still not clue.

irjudd
14-10-09, 01:50
...or Unpalatable Farting Orifices :(

patriots88888
14-10-09, 02:32
I guess I'm just skeptical in regards to these UFO sightings. Some are just too far out there for me to believe as true or actual sightings. I think some of those who have witnessed them might honestly believe they've seen one and actually have good intentions, but I also believe many more are mere attention seekers just trying to get their 15 minutes of fame and make a name for themselves. Most turn out to be hoaxes or explained later. :p

Paddy
14-10-09, 02:34
I believe UFOs exist but until I see one, I cant say they do for a fact.
Although video footage of sightings of UFO is weird, Id say they probably are.

CerebralAssassin
14-10-09, 03:16
I'd say the bulk of UFO footage is fake.

for those things in the video,I'd say they are just probes,if anything.

BoyTRaider
14-10-09, 04:30
I am nerd fanatic for UFO's and the likings.

Personally, I do believe there are other living things in the universe besides us. And I can't help but watch footage and be fascinated by them, but at the same time odds are that the footages we see are mostly fake.. So.. I don't know.

I'd love to snoop around Area 51 one day though... :mis:

Wishful thinking haha..

TRLegendLuver
14-10-09, 04:33
I believe in aliens and UFOS. Who says we aren't the only living creatures in the entire galaxy and beyond that? It just doesn't make sense.

Draco
14-10-09, 04:48
If there are UFOs out there, they are watching us very carefully.

rowanlim
14-10-09, 05:12
^They probably sniggering as we type.

I believe that there is alien life out there. We just haven't met them yet (or they aren't keen to sit down & chat :p). So UFO's are a possibility but I now think the bulk of them as fabrication of the human mind ;)

Dennis's Mom
14-10-09, 12:56
I think it's very conceited to think we're the only life out in the universe. However, the odds are very high that when we encounter them, their technology will be infinitely greater than ours, so we may regret making their acquaintance.

scoopy_loopy
14-10-09, 13:00
Id love to think they existed and have been visiting earth peacefully for the last however many years, subtely giving our governments access to technology which they trickle out to the masses so as not to arouse suspicion until we're "ready" to know the truth :p

But Ive seen no evidence to back up my fancies yet :pi:

adventurerLara
14-10-09, 14:32
I find it very hard to believe that there are no other life forms considering the vast size of the universe. Who knows, if they have developed the technology, they might have already found unconvential means to study us without our knowledge.

patriots88888
14-10-09, 14:34
I find it very hard to believe that there are no other life forms considering the vast size of the universe. Who knows, if they have developed the technology, they might have already found unconvential means to study us without our knowledge.

Pics or it never happened!

Admles
14-10-09, 14:44
I lump extraterrestrial stuff in the same category as the supernatural and religious; I'll believe it when I see it. Until then I don't worry about it.

Rai
14-10-09, 14:48
I believe in UFOs. I believe I've seen one too. The Universe is so vast it is hard to imagine there aren't other life forms out there.

patriots88888
14-10-09, 14:54
I believe in UFOs. I believe I've seen one too. The Universe is so vast it is hard to imagine there aren't other life forms out there.

What does one have to do with the other? People assume that any existing life outside our own would automatically mean it would be of higher intelligence thus leading to space travel and visiting our cozy, little rock in space.

I believe there is a high probability of other life out there... somewhere, but not necessarily 'little green men'. :p

interstellardave
14-10-09, 15:08
I've seen craft that were definitely not man-made, as has my wife (us together). When I was a child my entire family saw one close-up as we left my Aunts' house, hovering/floating above their barn... as big and as lit up as anything you could imagine. Everyone saw it together and everyone remembers it to this day. I don't believe. I KNOW.

sandygrimm
14-10-09, 15:19
Ouuu Pretty lights in da sky :yik:.......

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/OnlyRabidSquirrel/BRB__Intense_Moment_by_Quando_Quand.gif

tombofwinston
14-10-09, 15:41
I think 100% without a doubt aliens exist.

Draco
14-10-09, 15:45
What does one have to do with the other? People assume that any existing life outside our own would automatically mean it would be of higher intelligence thus leading to space travel and visiting our cozy, little rock in space.

I believe there is a high probability of other life out there... somewhere, but not necessarily 'little green men'. :p

Odds are quite high actually that extraterrestrial life in this universe would be more advanced than we are provided a similar unrestricted development curve.

We kicked ourselves in the teeth by inventing religion.

Dark Lugia 2
14-10-09, 16:06
I believe other forms of intelligent life exist in the universe, but not UFO sightings here. I could be very wrong though. They could be smarter, just as smart or we could be smarter than them, I dont know which I really think... cause I dont know! XD

ViNi__
14-10-09, 16:25
I really do believe in UFOs, and already saw some strange things.... I'm not saying that it was an UFO, but it sure was strange.... :pi:
it was a warm afternoon, after 5:30 'o clock, I was going back home (I was at violin class before), everything just the way it always were...
when I was near my house, I saw some people looking at the sky, and the curious I am, I looked too.
There was a thing falling with much smoke! No one could describe it exactly, cause it was too far... we only could tell that it's form was like a cylinder, with one bigger side, and the edges rounded, and appeared to be white. Then I runt to my house to see it better from my mom's bedroom.
Well, in determined point, it made a clockwise turn and divided itself in three pieces! One piece went to the sky very fast, one other went to the left, and the other to the right...
the smoke remained in the sky for almost three hours, and the tv spoke nothing about it (we have a local "tv center" here)... I tried to take a photo with my poor cellphone, but the sun blinded the camera :vlol:

As I said before, I'm not telling that that thing was an UFO, but sure was different and mysterious :pi:

Chocola teapot
14-10-09, 16:59
They're Probably watching us from a distance, Wouldn't you watch creatures on an alien planet from a distance if you could?

But sometimes they get too close or make a mistake and come into view.

Or perhaps crash... Everone makes mistakes.

I Imagine they detected all the radio signals flying off into space, came to have a look and thought... Aww, they're advancing.

the ancient
14-10-09, 18:58
maybe one of the TRF mebers is a alien :p
I dont realy believe in UFO and stiff but I dont think we are the only living creaturs in the univers

violentblossom
14-10-09, 19:09

My money's on Joely Moley. :pi:

the ancient
14-10-09, 19:10
^maybe you are a alien :pi: :p

WCookie
14-10-09, 19:10

Did anybody called me? :pi:

the ancient
14-10-09, 19:14
Did anybody called me? :pi:

I know it *calls the people of the x-files*

LaraLuvrrr
14-10-09, 19:29
There are aliens...

I hope they're hott :D

MadCroy101
15-10-09, 00:43
Oh, I though this was a thread about the band UFO! Hahaha, anyways, I have always taken great interest in UFOs. I always wanted to fly in one ever since I was about 4 years old, because me and my mom watched some television broadcast about it, and i was hooked then. Anyways, my mom bought me a really neat telescope for my 7th birthday, and I always went out there in my little scientist outfit, taking notes about the stars (I still have those notes, they are pretty funny, whatever I wrote down) and it always just fasinated me. I love the aliens, I hope they come in peace....:)

miss.haggard
15-10-09, 00:50
Ive had a UFO experience once. Still creeps me out, Leo was there and he was a disbeliever till he saw that.

Space is big, we cant be the only things out there!

scoopy_loopy
15-10-09, 00:57
I Imagine they detected all the radio signals flying off into space, came to have a look and thought... Aww, they're advancing.

Hahahaha, that sounds so cute :D

Romantics Inc.
15-10-09, 01:08
Unholy Flying Orcas

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o59/Gigigigijug24/266814131_e4e025e095.jpg

Dennis's Mom
15-10-09, 12:45
I actually had an astronomy class in college on extraterrestrial life. Very interesting class.

Alex Shepherd
15-10-09, 12:58
I actually had an astronomy class in college on extraterrestrial life. Very interesting class.

The life outside the earth planet... VERY INTERESTING!! :eek:
Can you tell us some interesting information please? Or what did you learn?

patriots88888
15-10-09, 13:02

Was your teacher or professor as ecentric as mine was? I had a real nut job for an astronomy teacher. Good teacher mind you, just out there in space himself most of the time. LOL!

Lara's Nemesis
15-10-09, 16:18
I believe there is a good chance that life exists elsewhere but I don't think we have had a visit from them.

violentblossom
15-10-09, 16:29
^maybe you are a alien :pi: :p

Maybe I am. :ohn:

WSOwen02
17-10-09, 23:14
I think it's very conceited to think we're the only life out in the universe. However, the odds are very high that when we encounter them, their technology will be infinitely greater than ours, so we may regret making their acquaintance.

IF there is other intelligent life in the universe, I don't believe we will EVER encounter it. It is in the nature of intelligent life to destroy itself. I don't believe any civilization will last long enough to reach the point where this is possible.

Survival
17-10-09, 23:17
I want to believe.

Alex Shepherd
17-10-09, 23:18
Maybe I am.

:rolleyes: Don't mess it up!! Don't let them discover us, just keep us spying.

Raider Man

Tommy123
18-10-09, 02:51
I've seen what i strongly believe to be a UFO when i was young. It was quite an amazing moment

wantafanta
18-10-09, 05:13
I don't believe that any alien craft has ever visited earth. The distances are just too great for one thing. It takes light about 5 years just to reach the nearest star. And even if a craft could travel at speeds approaching light, the relativistic effect on time would be problematic.
Also, nobody "out there" would have any reason to come here - because they don't know that we even exist. And besides, why would they want to come here? They would be so different from us and advanced, it would be like you or me wishing to spend a day with a herd of billy goats. Listening dishes have never picked up any intelligent radio transmissions from outer space.
And I've heard one idea, and it is true here on earth. Civilization discovers the ability to destroy itself long before it discovers the technology for interstellar travel. The odds are, that sometime in the next 100 or 200 years, we'll have wiped ourselves out in a nuclear war. With nuclear materials getting misplaced and terrorists on the loose, and more who have yet to be borne, it doesn't look promising.

JRod2208
18-10-09, 05:21
This is what always gets me when I read anything about aliens. Why are they always more advanced? Putting UFOs aside, how do we know that there isn't intellegent life out there that is less or as advanced than us? How do we know that these so called UFOs aren't like the little robots we send to Mars? I think the human race deserves more credit. How do we know that we won't be the ones that are considered the pilots of UFOs for other planets in the coming years? :rolleyes: I for one believe that there may be intellegent life out there in the universe, but I really don't think that its sole purpose in life is to spy on us or raze us to the ground.

Draco
18-10-09, 05:43
IF there is other intelligent life in the universe, I don't believe we will EVER encounter it. It is in the nature of intelligent life to destroy itself. I don't believe any civilization will last long enough to reach the point where this is possible.

Not so. Intelligence has zero to do with destructive nature. And considering there is a very good reason humans are historically and currently so violent is rather simple:

Population control.

I don't believe that any alien craft has ever visited earth.

Well belief really isn't involved in it to be honest. It either happened or...not.

The distances are just too great for one thing. It takes light about 5 years just to reach the nearest star.

Well, forcing aliens to conform to the rules we currently know or think we know about the game, is pretty much the pinnacle of arrogance. There are also other means with which to travel light years than simply going faster than light.

And even if a craft could travel at speeds approaching light, the relativistic effect on time would be problematic.

The bigger problem would be keeping the ship intact and the crew alive. If anything, the time dilation itself would be the best part of traveling at those speeds. The trip would seem short from the ship's perspective, but extremely long from ours.

Also, nobody "out there" would have any reason to come here - because they don't know that we even exist.

There is that arrogance again. Who says they would have to come here, because of us? I suspect that worlds teeming with life are pretty hard to come by. Our presence on this one would be pretty irrelevant unless they are our peers technologically, which is the least likely scenario.

And besides, why would they want to come here? They would be so different from us and advanced, it would be like you or me wishing to spend a day with a herd of billy goats.

I also suspect that aliens might be interested in science and exploration, thus billy goats might be the most amazing things they have ever seen.

Listening dishes have never picked up any intelligent radio transmissions from outer space.

Radio transmissions are slow and there is no guarantee an alien race will even have ever used radio in their technological development.

And I've heard one idea, and it is true here on earth. Civilization discovers the ability to destroy itself long before it discovers the technology for interstellar travel.

I'm sure we are not the first nor the last race in the universe to consider jumping off the bridge rather than crossing it. But frankly, they aren't mutually exclusive and chances are we could not kill all of us even if we tried, which we likely won't.

The odds are, that sometime in the next 100 or 200 years, we'll have wiped ourselves out in a nuclear war. With nuclear materials getting misplaced and terrorists on the loose, and more who have yet to be borne, it doesn't look promising.

There are ways to fix those problems, worrying about it won't help either way.

This is what always gets me when I read anything about aliens. Why are they always more advanced?

Well, unless they managed to hitchhike on some other alien ship to get here, any alien that did would have to have developed or be using more advanced technology than we currently have. It is common sense.

Putting UFOs aside, how do we know that there isn't intellegent life out there that is less or as advanced than us?

We don't know, but chances are we will never know until we can get to their rocks ourselves.

How do we know that these so called UFOs aren't like the little robots we send to Mars?

It is possible, just like most anything else is possible. But whether the ship is manned or not does not preclude it from being alien.

I think the human race deserves more credit. How do we know that we won't be the ones that are considered the pilots of UFOs for other planets in the coming years? :rolleyes: I for one believe that there may be intelligent life out there in the universe, but I really don't think that its sole purpose in life is to spy on us or raze us to the ground.

Have you ever seen a NASA scientist get so excited about dead bacteria from a meteorite that they have a stroke? Who is to say aliens won't have their own NASA scientists who get excited about discovering a primitive race of bipedal creatures that wear everything from loincloths to Georgio Armani? It may not excite you to find life on other worlds, but you can't ascribe that ambivalence to anyone other than yourself... terrestrial or otherwise.

WSOwen02
19-10-09, 20:26
^^^ You obviously have a much more optimistic view of mankind than I do.

xXhayleyroxXx
19-10-09, 20:31
my dad believes he has seen a ufo - and since he's not the type to believe in the paranormal or supernatural i do believe him.

WSOwen02
19-10-09, 23:07
Saw a special on the Discovery Channel a few years ago about UFO sightings in the Unted States. They linked several of them to military tests that were believed to have been conducted at Area 51 at the time of the sightings.

I have no doubt that in many cases, the government just allows people to believe they saw an alien craft rather than admit they were trying out some new weapons or aircraft.

Chocola teapot
19-10-09, 23:09
My Mums friend always talked about Ufo's.

aquaflute
19-10-09, 23:11
I am exited about the new show that's airing in November "V". Elizabeth Mitchell from lost stars in it and it's about alien visiting the earth. Looks extrememly interesting to me.

Squibbly
19-10-09, 23:17
I think for the human race to believe we are the only beings that could possibly exist in the entire universe (which could even be infinite for all we know) is ridiculous.

Of course there's other life out there somewhere. I'm just not so sure it's been here. I doubt it.

wantafanta
20-10-09, 01:56
Well belief really isn't involved in it to be honest. It either happened or...not.

Belief has everything to do with it because there is no way to determine whether or not we have been visited by alien spacecraft - assuming that if they were, in fact, here, that they cleaned up their trash before they took off for home.

Well, forcing aliens to conform to the rules we currently know or think we know about the game, is pretty much the pinnacle of arrogance. There are also other means with which to travel light years than simply going faster than light.

No one is forcing aliens to conform to "our rules". The fundamental basis of relativity is that the rules of science apply exactly the same in all parts of the universe. That's why the speed of light is called a "universal constant." No material object can ever exceed nor achieve the speed of light. It is simply impossible. Because as you approach the speed of light, your measured mass increases toward infinity, and it would require infinite energy to go faster. This is true in all parts of the universe.

Radio transmissions are slow and there is no guarantee an alien race will even have ever used radio in their technological development.

Oh, I beg to differ. On the other hand you might be correct. There is no guarantee that an advanced alien race ever would have discovered the wheel, either. But I wouldn't bet on that!

I'm sure we are not the first nor the last race in the universe to consider jumping off the bridge rather than crossing it. But frankly, they aren't mutually exclusive and chances are we could not kill all of us even if we tried, which we likely won't.

Every war has been significantly more costly than its predecessor. It's a statistical trend. There is no reason to expect that there won't be a world war III. And it would be far costlier than anything we have seen. It would not be necessary to kill every human off. As Einstein himself said when asked what world war III would be like: "I can't tell you. But I can tell you what world war IV will be like. It will be fought with sticks and stones."

Alex Shepherd
20-10-09, 01:57
Hello guys... Did I miss something?

Raider Man

Draco
20-10-09, 05:01
Belief has everything to do with it because there is no way to determine whether or not we have been visited by alien spacecraft - assuming that if they were, in fact, here, that they cleaned up their trash before they took off for home.

Belief has nothing to do with facts. We have either been scouted or we haven't. Just because we can't get a straight answer on the issue doesn't mean there is something to believe in.

Our ignorance is no excuse to make a religion out of it.

No one is forcing aliens to conform to "our rules". The fundamental basis of relativity is that the rules of science apply exactly the same in all parts of the universe. That's why the speed of light is called a "universal constant." No material object can ever exceed nor achieve the speed of light. It is simply impossible. Because as you approach the speed of light, your measured mass increases toward infinity, and it would require infinite energy to go faster. This is true in all parts of the universe.

You missed my point entirely. I'm talking about human arrogance and there you are being all Mr. Example for my statement. What humanity understands about physics and for that matter the universe itself is infantile. To think otherwise is silliness. It is potentially possible that one day we will be advanced enough to realize just how silly we are now... if we survive to have that day.

Oh, I beg to differ. On the other hand you might be correct. There is no guarantee that an advanced alien race ever would have discovered the wheel, either. But I wouldn't bet on that!

There is a lot of things you shouldn't bet on.

For example, how long in our history have we used lightwave communication systems?

How long does it take light to travel say... 14 parsecs?

How long ago would that alien race have had to invent lightwave transmitters with enough power to actually send a signal intact that far that would be clear enough to be understood to be a legitimate signal?

Our fascination with aliens and stuff in space is pretty wild sometimes and it predates recorded history by a few thousand years.

Every war has been significantly more costly than its predecessor.

There are a great many factors involved with that statement, enough that I can twist it to be completely wrong.

It's a statistical trend.

Statistics... my favorite tool for tricking people into reaching false conclusions.

There is no reason to expect that there won't be a world war III.

Well the defeatist attitude doesn't really help stop it, but there is no real reason to expect WW3 to ever happen.

And it would be far costlier than anything we have seen.

It would seem that way from our perspective wouldn't it.

It would not be necessary to kill every human off. As Einstein himself said when asked what world war III would be like: "I can't tell you. But I can tell you what world war IV will be like. It will be fought with sticks and stones."

Einstein said a lot of things that sound brilliant.

Just because someone is incredibly smart, doesn't mean they are always right.

dizzydoil
20-10-09, 06:40
If Aliens were to visit our planet it shows that they're at an advanced stage than us - and have come for only one thing: our damaged, but beautiful planet. Now if these Aliens were smart enough to traverse lightyears to come to us, they would be smart enough to kill us all off immediately...

WSOwen02
20-10-09, 21:41
Well the defeatist attitude doesn't really help stop it, but there is no real reason to expect WW3 to ever happen.

Except that it is human nature

Draco
20-10-09, 22:09
Except that it is human nature

I'm better than human nature, aren't you?