PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with this?

laracroftswest
16-10-09, 04:19
I am doing a project on a Civil Rights movement and I have to make a CD with 7 songs relating to Civil Rights. Any ideas on songs?

Help MUCH appreciated.

MattTR
16-10-09, 04:27
Does it have to be specifically about Civil Rights or can it just fit the 'theme'?

laracroftswest
16-10-09, 04:28
It doesn't have to be about Civil Rights, but a song that has lyrics relating to it.

MattTR
16-10-09, 04:33
Well a songs that I think would have a good meaning are:

"The City Is At War" by Cobra Starship

"One Step At A Time" by Jordin Sparks

"How To Save A Life" by the Fray

or

"Never Let You Go" by Third Eye Blind

Hope I helped. :)

laracroftswest
16-10-09, 04:41
YESS!!!! You did! Thank you!

Any others anyone?

Lara's Nemesis
16-10-09, 05:00
Guns N' Roses - Civil War

EmeraldFields
16-10-09, 05:04
Long Way To Go by Gwen Stefani and Andre 3000

:D

laracroftswest
16-10-09, 05:09
Thank you. I am having such a hard time trying to figure some out.

Lara's Nemesis
16-10-09, 05:18
"Dixie" is a well known one.

Johnny Comes Marching On is another I think, also known as "The animals went in two by two hurrah hurrah":D

Punaxe
16-10-09, 09:43
Hmm...

:wumpscut: - Schäbiger Lump (remix of famous quotes by Roland Freisler during Nazi show trials)

Emilie Autumn - Marry Me (about her being married against her will)

Enigma - Silent Warrior (about the forceful introduction of Christianity, taking away original liberties)

Goteki - Surveillance (describing a 'Big Brother' scenario where everyone is constantly under surveillance)

Simon & Garfunkel - He Was My Brother (this 'brother' seems to have stood up for civil rights)

XPQ-21 - White and Alive (not exactly sure what to make of these lyrics but there definitely seems to be some racism/discrimination involved. :p)

Keir_Eidos
16-10-09, 10:15
I guess the biggest was the African American Civil Rights Movement against racial discrimination.

Curtis Mayfield was a legendary musician who was really involved in the black pride movement in the 60's. 'We're a Winner' is probably the number one song you want to include. Also check out his album Superfly from the film of the same name.

T88RH9RSpgI

I'd also say any song from the album 'What's Going On' by Marvin Gaye, (I love 'Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holla)') might also be connected although it's also to do with Vietnam, but is also just great (in a meaningful and musical sense).

Early James Brown stuff is probably also worth a look.

Dennis's Mom
16-10-09, 13:17
Umm. . . "We Shall Overcome"?

"The Times They Are-a-Changin" by Dylan