PDA

View Full Version : Baby gets slammed by train in Melbourne Australia today, Friday the 16th of October

Johnnay
16-10-09, 06:04
http://www.theage.com.au/national/shocking-cctv-footage-of-babys-miracle-escape-20091016-h0th.html?autostart=1

it survived though:)

discuss

demonslayer
16-10-09, 06:08
poor baby. lucky thay he still has his/her life

Lara_Zoz2006
16-10-09, 06:09
omg thank god the babys ok, how did he survive that, thats amazing

scoopy_loopy
16-10-09, 11:26
Oh god. I just saw the CCTV footage on the news just now! Crazy! I want to know what caused the pram to suddenly roll away from the mother like that at such speed? :pi:

Im so glad the baby survived, only minor bruising, I heard.

ClassicCroft
16-10-09, 11:34
omg! That must be shocking for the mum =o, glad the baby servived =]

Dennis's Mom
16-10-09, 12:06
Wow. What a miracle.

Rai
16-10-09, 12:30
Oh god. I just saw the CCTV footage on the news just now! Crazy! I want to know what caused the pram to suddenly roll away from the mother like that at such speed? :pi:

This is what I'm thinking too. The article talks of how commuters should be more careful and stay behind the yellow line - but the mother and the pram were. The pram should have had breaks on, but it couldn't have moved like that on a flat surface.

I'm so glad the baby is okay. Must have been harrowing for the mother to see that.

xx_Hunt_xx
16-10-09, 12:33
http://www.theage.com.au/national/shocking-cctv-footage-of-babys-miracle-escape-20091016-h0th.html?autostart=1

it survived though:)

discuss

Lol..it?

Glad the little boy survived :) People do need to be more carefull around places like that though.

TRenTIs
16-10-09, 13:25
I want to know what caused the pram to suddenly roll away from the mother like that at such speed? :pi:

It was windy. The mother turned around to fix her shirt, and the wind blew the pram into the way of the train. :tmb:

I think it's lucky that the mother survived as well. Someone had to hold onto her to stop her from jumping on the tracks to save her baby.

I saw the footage on TV tonight and it is really chilling.

irjudd
16-10-09, 13:25
It happens.

Alex Shepherd
16-10-09, 13:32
The mother don't know such responsibilities :mad:
Thanks to God that he's okay

Raider Man

MattTR
16-10-09, 13:39
It survived? :eek:

I'd hate to see what he looks like now though.. that's so sad.. :(

Nannonxyay
16-10-09, 13:39
The mother don't know such responsibilities :mad:
Thanks to God that he's okay

Raider Man

It's not her fault. It was windy and it blew the pram off the tracks before she had a chance to stop it.

@Matt, it only suffered a slight bump to the head. No serious injuries or anything.

MattTR
16-10-09, 13:41
It's not her fault. It was windy and it blew the pram off the tracks before she had a chance to stop it.

@Matt, it only suffered a slight bump to the head. No serious injuries or anything.

Oh I missed that part! Thank goodness it's okay then! :hug:

Rai
16-10-09, 13:45
It survived? :eek:

I'd hate to see what he looks like now though.. that's so sad.. :(

The baby suffered no more than a bump on the head. He wasn't crushed or anything like that. So he's fine it seems. :)

And he is a 'he' not an 'it' lol. :p

xx_Hunt_xx
16-10-09, 13:47
The baby suffered no more than a bump on the head. He wasn't crushed or anything like that. So he's fine it seems. :)

And he is a 'he' not an 'it' lol. :p

Haha i know right lol

sandygrimm
16-10-09, 13:47
That must of been one of Britney Spear's kids

TRenTIs
16-10-09, 13:50
oh, snap

TRULuverzz
16-10-09, 15:35
O_____________________________O :eek:

oh... my... god! glad it didn't die :)

CroftGameGirl
16-10-09, 15:52
Wow, amazing, I must say :D
Miracles do happen I guess :pi: :p
I'm really glad he survived though :)

irjudd
16-10-09, 15:56
Wow, amazing, I must say :D
Miracles do happen I guess :pi: :p
I'm really glad he survived though :)
If it was a miracle that he survived, wouldn't it have been more efficient for there to be a miracle preventing the wind from blowing him into the tracks to begin with? :pi:

CroftGameGirl
16-10-09, 15:59
If it was a miracle that he survived, wouldn't it have been more efficient for there to be a miracle preventing the wind from blowing him into the tracks to begin with? :pi:

But then there wouldn't be the miracle of him still being alive after being slammed by a train... :pi:

Hmmm *rubs Sigmond Freud chin*

irjudd
16-10-09, 16:03
And if it was a miracle, what would have made this little guy more important than the people who have been killed by trains in the past? And if it was because he was more important it would mean someone is predestining, and if that's the case then we can assume that everything is predestined and if that's the case then what purpose is there for the aforementioned deaths in the big scheme of things?

*chin rubbing as well*

CroftGameGirl
16-10-09, 16:10
And if it was a miracle, what would have made this little guy more important than the people who have been killed by trains in the past? And if it was because he was more important it would mean someone is predestining, and if that's the case then we can assume that everything is predestined and if that's the case then what purpose is there for the aforementioned deaths in the big scheme of things?

*chin rubbing as well*

LMFAO XD

Well... I simply did not state the fact that i was specifically predestining nor saying he is more important in the way you have mentioned, however I was simply stating that it must have been a major relief, as well as a tremedous surprise that he survived.

*rubs grey beard*

irjudd
16-10-09, 16:15
LMFAO XD

Well... I simply did not state the fact that i was specifically predestining nor saying he is more important in the way you have mentioned, however I was simply stating that it must have been a major relief, as well as a tremedous surprise that he survived.

*rubs grey beard*

I just find it a bit odd to call an unexpected turn of events like this a miracle, when by definition a miracle is generally considered some supernatural intervention of divine origin. *twists goatee*

remote91
16-10-09, 16:15
Lucky buggers

CroftGameGirl
16-10-09, 16:17
I just find it a bit odd to call an unexpected turn of events like this a miracle, when by definition a miracle is generally considered some supernatural intervention of divine origin. *twists goatee*

What I pretty much meant was that, it was such a surprise, I would class it as sort of a miracle, as an event thought to almost be holy in a way, due to its unusualness, kinda :pi:

*shaves off Gandalf beard*

LightningRider
16-10-09, 16:20
Dang, it was an accident, but what are parents doing that a child isn't that important anymore in a dangerous place? :mad:

Larapink
16-10-09, 16:25
I am shocked, the poor baby lucky that they baby is alive. There must be a reason why later on in the child's life. :)

irjudd
16-10-09, 16:26
Although to be honest I was expecting to see him get "slammed" by a train speeding along, when in reality it was more of a nudge from a train slowly lumbering along into the station.

Spong
16-10-09, 16:26
What I pretty much meant was that, it was such a surprise, I would class it as sort of a miracle, as an event thought to almost be holy in a way, due to its unusualness, kinda :pi:

*shaves off Gandalf beard*

It isn't so lucky if you ask me. There's a surprising amount of space beneath a train. I'd argue that most of the fatalities are because people are usually hit while standing upright (running, walking etc.). If anything, I'd imagine the only injuries the baby sustained (a "bump on the head") was as a result of the pram being crushed around it or from the initial fall from the platform edge. What IS lucky though is the fact the baby didn't land on a rail.

Paddy
16-10-09, 16:27
It isn't so lucky if you ask me. There's a surprising amount of space beneath a train. I'd argue that most of the fatalities are because people are usually hit while standing upright (running, walking etc.). If anything, I'd imagine the only injuries the baby sustained (a "bump on the head") was as a result of the pram being crushed around it or from the initial fall from the platform edge.

Thatd explain why I seen a vid of someone sleeping on the tracks being driven over by a train but not harmed.

Spong
16-10-09, 16:30
Thatd explain why I seen a vid of someone sleeping on the tracks being driven over by a train but not harmed.

There's a good couple of feet between the ground and the bottom of a train. The only real problems come in the form of hanging pipework or the possibility of rail guards on the front of a train.

Paddy
16-10-09, 16:31
There's a good couple of feet between the ground and the bottom of a train. The only real problems come in the form of hanging pipework or the possibility of rail guards on the front of a train.

Actually the real problem is being on the tracks when a trains just nearby :p

Spong
16-10-09, 16:32

Yeah, I can see how that'd pose a problem :D

Rai
16-10-09, 17:13
Dang, it was an accident, but what are parents doing that a child isn't that important anymore in a dangerous place? :mad:

You do realise that it was a train platform, the chances are they were waiting for a train. They were stood well behind the yellow line. The baby's parents thought he was safe, why wouldn't they? Yes all parents should be aware of the dangers, but this was an accident as you said. What is the mother supposed to have done?

Draco
16-10-09, 18:19
Clearly the only sane solution to prevent any chance of injury to children is to be so overprotective that your child grows up to be a sniper serial killer or something.

The only thing this story shows is that he gets to have one of those cool 'when I was a kid' stories.

Voni
16-10-09, 20:21
I saw the video on the news today, it made feel sick. I can't imagine what it would be like to be the mother. She'll probably blame herself for the rest of her life, even though it wasn't her fault.

And for all the people arguing over whether the baby surviving or not was a 'miracle' or whatever, can we not just be grateful that he survived?! Jesus.

marla_biggs
16-10-09, 20:43
Yikes. lucky babby x

Tony9595
16-10-09, 21:23
Impressive!
I'm glad the baby survived :)

Cloe Christina
16-10-09, 21:24
i just saw what happened on the news ..... i am so suprised that baby survived .....thank goodness

Cochrane
16-10-09, 21:46
Although to be honest I was expecting to see him get "slammed" by a train speeding along, when in reality it was more of a nudge from a train slowly lumbering along into the station.

Not that slowly, I'd say. The standard in Germany for pulling into a station (if possible, many stations require slower entrances because of old switches) is 60 kph, although both high-level commuter systems and high-speed trains can and will have higher speeds. I don't know about other countries, but it looked as if this was the sort of train that went into the station rather rapidly.

Dustie
16-10-09, 21:56
I was amazed too, that's like, sheer luck. As in, for the baby to land where it did, so it didn't get hurt - becouse it was awfully unfortunate for the mother to let go off the carriage in that specific moment...

ArigatoGozymas
16-10-09, 22:14
Since there's the one and only God ... it is possible.

andromeda_eats
16-10-09, 23:01
Im sorry, but it IS the mums fault. Any mother knows that if you have your bub in it's pram, you have the brakes on!! Every pram comes with brakes, and they are good enough to stop a pram from rolling off a steep incline. I NEVER have my son in his pram when on a flat OR inclined surface without the brakes on. You never know if a big gust of wind will blow or not.

I bet she will never make that mistake again.

Draco
17-10-09, 05:48
Im sorry, but it IS the mums fault. Any mother knows that if you have your bub in it's pram, you have the brakes on!! Every pram comes with brakes, and they are good enough to stop a pram from rolling off a steep incline. I NEVER have my son in his pram when on a flat OR inclined surface without the brakes on. You never know if a big gust of wind will blow or not.

I bet she will never make that mistake again.

You have a son now? Gratz.

Lara Croft!
17-10-09, 09:04
That is one lucky baby! The pram was so far away from where the parents are, they were negligent!

andromeda_eats
17-10-09, 09:44
You have a son now? Gratz.

Thanks, you married yet?

Chocola teapot
17-10-09, 09:50
Thank gosh. Phew.

rowanlim
17-10-09, 10:12
That's a miracle.

I agree with andromeda_eats, we can never rely on the brakes 100% coz we never know what outside factors may endanger the child.

Paddy
17-10-09, 10:52
I wonder if maybe they should make something to stop people or babies falling onto the tracks, those stupid yellow lines do nothing lol.
Maybe make a gate type thing that raises when theres no trains around, lowers when its stationary at the platform to allow passenger aboard.

Cochrane
17-10-09, 11:00
I wonder if maybe they should make something to stop people or babies falling onto the tracks, those stupid yellow lines do nothing lol.
Maybe make a gate type thing that raises when theres no trains around, lowers when its stationary at the platform to allow passenger aboard.

That is actually used on a number of subway systems already, usually in the form of sliding doors that align with the train doors when the train stops, and open only when a train is there. The obvious problems with this are that it's expensive and that you have to stop the train very precisely, not to mention that most subway systems have different train lengths and trains with different door positions.

xXhayleyroxXx
17-10-09, 11:03
i am so glad that baby survived for the mother's sake! imagine what that would have done to her

so glad for both of them xx

Paddy
17-10-09, 11:08
That is actually used on a number of subway systems already, usually in the form of sliding doors that align with the train doors when the train stops, and open only when a train is there. The obvious problems with this are that it's expensive and that you have to stop the train very precisely, not to mention that most subway systems have different train lengths and trains with different door positions.

Wouldnt necessarily have the system align with the doors, just a basic gate that stops things falling off the platform but the train can stop and it can then open.

xXhayleyroxXx
17-10-09, 11:27
Wouldnt necessarily have the system align with the doors, just a basic gate that stops things falling off the platform but the train can stop and it can then open.

that would be so good! i saw a run-over cat at my train station :( it would prevent a lot of deaths and pain for people

Draco
17-10-09, 15:16
Thanks, you married yet?

Haha, no. I'm in no rush.

aquaflute
17-10-09, 15:45
Baby probably have higher chance to survive such a thing because of their smaller size. And even better such experience probably won't leave them with a trauma. Lucky baby!!! Feels happy for him. In Chinese we always say: if you survive something nasty, something good is going to happen to you.

TRhalloween
17-10-09, 15:57
They have brakes on prams.

andromeda_eats
17-10-09, 22:05
Haha, no. I'm in no rush.

So many questions.

Draco
17-10-09, 22:10
So many questions.

So many answers.

Love2Raid
17-10-09, 22:18
Good for him it wasn't friday the 13th. :mis:

irjudd
17-10-09, 22:20
Yeah or Tuesday the 17th.

Cochrane
17-10-09, 22:29

I guess that'd be more difficult than you'd think at first. It has to be some way that can be refitted to existing stations, so you can't require large slots in the floor or ceiling, and if you have anything that swivels, you have to make sure that you don't hit the passengers who are waiting (and will probably stand way too close to the barrier when one is there), but that you also stay clear of the trains way under all circumstances.

It's not just about things falling of the platform. Such barriers, where they already exist, are mainly to protect against stupid (and/or drunk) people and suicidal people who want to throw themselves in front of a train. They are a much larger problem than baby strollers rolling around. A barrier that only protects against the latter, but not against the former, is not cost-effective.

SamReeves
17-10-09, 22:43

People who are idiots will probably find a way to get themselves killed anyway. More barriers aren't the answer. Case in point, this idiot got smacked on video at Downers Grove, IL some 20 years ago. Bells, whistles, gates, and still she ignored it all:

HqbLvXRu9Ts

Rai
17-10-09, 22:55
^ OMG :yik: how idiotic can you get? What made them think they'd make it?