PDA

View Full Version : Advancements in Science that scare you!

Nausinous
20-10-09, 00:49
Here are mine:

Chembot

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/877539/nightmarish-blob-like-robot-unveiled-in-us

http://images.ninemsn.com.au/resizer.aspx?url=http://news.ninemsn.com.au/img/2009/world/1910_blob_2.jpg&width=310

Controlled beetles

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/19/article-1221438-06E18087000005DC-724_468x286.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1221438/Ssh--conversation-bugged-cyborg-beetle.html

larafan25
20-10-09, 00:51
whats a Chembot?

Nausinous
20-10-09, 00:56
whats a Chembot?

Go to the link and you'll find out.

LaraLuvrrr
20-10-09, 04:13
You're enjoying your day, things are going your way, and here comes Debbie Downer....

sorry just some randomness from snl

NemesisxAngelus
20-10-09, 04:28
Spychips. :pi:

interstellardave
20-10-09, 04:34
I don't like it... something's just not right about it.

Nanotechnology scares me most of all... because it's almost designed to get out-of-hand... or, rather, the possibility of it getting out of hand seems higher than with most technologies, and the ramifications of it are scary beyond imagining. Hopefully there's some reason nanotechnology can't be horrific--but I haven't heard it yet.

Cochrane
20-10-09, 08:56
I don't like it... something's just not right about it.

Nanotechnology scares me most of all... because it's almost designed to get out-of-hand... or, rather, the possibility of it getting out of hand seems higher than with most technologies, and the ramifications of it are scary beyond imagining. Hopefully there's some reason nanotechnology can't be horrific--but I haven't heard it yet.

Most people think nanotechnology is about microscopic robots destroying the world, but that is really wrong. Nanotechnology at the moment is about developing new materials, in particular new surface technologies, for example to create windows that need less, if any, cleaning.

disneyprincess20
20-10-09, 09:16
A lot of Nanotechnology at the moment revolves around the study of carbon nanotubes and their potential uses. There's not much to be scared of now by microscopic tubes that may or may not conduct electricity.

interstellardave
20-10-09, 10:45
Of course I realize nanotechnology "at the moment" isn't a worry... but it's where everyone says it will go that bothers me. All the incredibly fantastic and positive uses in the future require them to be advanced and prolific enough to be incredibly dangerous as well. I'm sure safe-guards can be put into place... but the very idea of self-replicating microscopic machines that can be injected into people is just too scary for me!

disneyprincess20
20-10-09, 10:52
...but the very idea of self-replicating microscopic machines that can be injected into people is just too scary for me!

Isn't that more science fiction than Advancements in Science?

Dennis's Mom
20-10-09, 11:53
TBH, what terrifies me most is how technology has created little (and big) monsters. Whether it's the anonymity of teh internets making people foolish or cruel or texting while in company or driving, there's something electronic communication has done to interpersonal relationships and communication. It has devalued people by creating a false sense of self-importance.

Lara Croft!
20-10-09, 12:08
Νothing scares me atm.

interstellardave
20-10-09, 12:30
Isn't that more science fiction than Advancements in Science?

That is exactly what nanobots are being researched/designed for... to go into the bloodstream and kill disease cells, etc.

Isn't most of yesterdays' science fiction todays' science fact?

Atlantean-Squid
20-10-09, 12:52
The general public's fear of scientific advancement is completely rational. In fact, it's justified.

I mean, back in 1870, Charles Babbage's analytical engine sprouted legs and ended up eating thousands of people with its punched card reader, didn't it?

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2307/differenceengine.jpg

I sure am glad we learned our lesson.

disneyprincess20
20-10-09, 12:55
That is exactly what nanobots are being researched/designed for... to go into the bloodstream and kill disease cells, etc.

Isn't most of yesterdays' science fiction todays' science fact?

Nanobots aren't being designed yet.

Mad Tony
20-10-09, 13:16
Robotics.

disneyprincess20
20-10-09, 13:22
Biomimetics scares me more, building robots that can mimic animals (particularly bugs, for some reason) very well. The images are creepy.

interstellardave
20-10-09, 13:23
Nanobots aren't being designed yet.

Okay, you got me on a minor technicality. They one day will be. The point still stands, and remains my answer to the question posed in this topic. ;)

Atlantean-Squid
20-10-09, 13:24
Robotics.

W1czBcnX1Ww

Buzz buzz buzz.

Mad Tony
20-10-09, 13:30
^^

Yeah, I was gonna post that lol. I can imagine myself being like Will Smith in I, Robot if robots every do become mainstream like that. :p

irjudd
20-10-09, 13:43
I'm more afraid of advancements in science being held back by red tape and poor decisions from leadership.

igonge
20-10-09, 14:49
The Chembot looks like an Oyster without it's shell :confused:

xXhayleyroxXx
20-10-09, 15:16
omg im actually quite scared now!
whats the world gonna be like the future? :o

Cochrane
20-10-09, 15:50
Anyway, to get back on topic: I’m scared of the new technology of building yourself wings and flying close to the sun. This is an affront to nature, who will surely melt the wax used to hold the wings together. We should not ever try something like that.

I’m also quite scared about that tower project in Babylon. Science has gone way too far there. Humans were not meant to build a tower that high. Someone will come and punish us for this, for sure.

Seriously: Being afraid of technology and science "just because" has a long history, but shouldn't we have moved past that? In 90% of the cases, if not more, it is just fear of change and of the unknown (which, these days, for many includes the processes how science works, apparently) instead of rational objections. Being "creeped out" by science isn’t helpful to anyone.

xXhayleyroxXx
20-10-09, 15:53
Anyway, to get back on topic: Iím scared of the new technology of building yourself wings and flying close to the sun. This is an affront to nature, who will surely melt the wax used to hold the wings together. We should not ever try something like that.

Iím also quite scared about that tower project in Babylon. Science has gone way too far there. Humans were not meant to build a tower that high. Someone will come and punish us for this, for sure.

Seriously: Being afraid of technology and science "just because" has a long history, but shouldn't we have moved past that? In 90% of the cases, if not more, it is just fear of change and of the unknown (which, these days, for many includes the processes how science works, apparently) instead of rational objections. Being "creeped out" by science isnít helpful to anyone.

about the being afraid part of what you said- im scared of a lot of weird things - and that weird robot blob and the beetles make me shiver - its something about the way they look - the beetles wings - is it a dead beetle? the weird texture and movements of the blob robot

interstellardave
20-10-09, 16:58
Seriously: Being afraid of technology and science "just because" has a long history, but shouldn't we have moved past that? In 90% of the cases, if not more, it is just fear of change and of the unknown (which, these days, for many includes the processes how science works, apparently) instead of rational objections. Being "creeped out" by science isn’t helpful to anyone.

Do you really believe that? I've been assured that Nanotech is quite far in the future, but what about things that are already here?

Nuclear weapons... yes, relatively unused, but a huge threat that has not gone away.

Genetically engineered viruses... how hard is it going to be, as the years go by, to keep this genie in the bottle? If it hasn't already escaped...?

Logically, the more we learn about the fundemental make-up of our bodies--and reality itself--the more we learn how to upset that natural order. People will work on doing just that.

Again, I have no idea how far off malicious uses of certain technologies will be--but technologies are always used for ill as well as good... you know that!

Nausinous
20-10-09, 17:00
I'm more afraid of advancements in science being held back by red tape and poor decisions from leadership.

I'm all for advancements in science and yes I would prefer it if research wasn't held back by the distinct red tape and lack of interest from leaders but when **** like the beetle happens, then I become scared.

sandygrimm
20-10-09, 17:02
Cloning and cip implants

GameGlitcher77
20-10-09, 17:20
I find new technology fancinating, but then again I don't scare easily :mis: :vlol: :D ;) :p

Kelly Craftman
20-10-09, 17:23
I find new technology fancinating, but then again I don't scare easily :mis: :vlol: :D ;) :p

:rolleyes:

Scienctis are making Nanobots, with could clean and repair are body without the need of surgery. Nanobots could also be in the next generation of Jabs like a cancer Jab

maniakatosheto
20-10-09, 17:25
The Media! thats what scares me and has been scaring me for over 15 years >.> cause in 2001 they said there will be a massive earthquake in 2008 0.0 nothing happend.

Cochrane
20-10-09, 17:41
Do you really believe that? I've been assured that Nanotech is quite far in the future, but what about things that are already here?

Nuclear weapons... yes, relatively unused, but a huge threat that has not gone away.

Genetically engineered viruses... how hard is it going to be, as the years go by, to keep this genie in the bottle? If it hasn't already escaped...?

Logically, the more we learn about the fundemental make-up of our bodies--and reality itself--the more we learn how to upset that natural order. People will work on doing just that.

Again, I have no idea how far off malicious uses of certain technologies will be--but technologies are always used for ill as well as good... you know that!

I should have made this clearer: There is a gap between actually dangerous stuff and things that just seem weird to us. Nuclear weapons are a clear example of actually scary science, and I'd say that anything military is at least to some degree scary (the viruses you mention are another good example). The technology that currently has me scared the most is automating ore trains in Australia. Trains with thousands of tons of weight, comparatively weak breaks, and all controlled by a computer? That better have good safety devices. So I don't think we should happily accept anything that comes in.

However, as a species, we are rather over-cautious, believing in a natural order of things that we can't actually prove to exist. We thought we weren't meant to advance too far (which is really what the stories of Icarus and the Tower of Babylon are all about), but this has more often than not held us back. Even in the 19th century, a few scientists thought that humans weren't meant to travel at speeds of 30 km/h (20 mph) and would instantly die if this was being attempted. Imagine how our world would look like if we had believed them and not tried it, and what we would be missing. Flight, space travel, roboters, nuclear research (e.g. LHC)… It's really all the same story.

Just look at some of the technology mentioned in this thread: There is nothing objectively worrying about the chembot and that four-legged walker thing, for example (the remote-controlled bugs do seem inhumane to me, but considering that I smash most insects I can hit, maybe I'm the wrong one to talk about that), but many people here call them scary and creepy just because of the way they look.

All things considered, I agree with irjudd: There is often more harm done by being over-cautious than by science.

Icarus60
03-12-09, 08:38
I didn't go near the Tower of Babylon. (Do you mean Tower of Babel?)

Death Mask
03-12-09, 08:55
I don't think there is ANYTHING ever invented by men that is scarier than this:

IUIMgbXOmJg

WSOwen02
03-12-09, 09:28
How about the Large Hadron Collider?

They don't have any idea what's going to happen when they turn it on but they're going to turn it on anyway.

tonyme
03-12-09, 09:43
This second big bang thing. Freaks me out sometimes! :eek:

Cochrane
03-12-09, 11:55
How about the Large Hadron Collider?

They don't have any idea what's going to happen when they turn it on but they're going to turn it on anyway.
Oh boy, not another person believing in all this crap. The LHC won't cause the end of the world or whatever some nuts claim all over the bored mass media. That is actually very well known for some time already. Yeah, some folks don't believe it, but most of those are either
a) idiots
b) trying to get famous by scaring everyone
c) believing people from groups a and c because they have no clue themselves.

disneyprincess20
03-12-09, 12:01
Oh boy, not another person believing in all this crap. The LHC won't cause the end of the world or whatever some nuts claim all over the bored mass media. That is actually very well known for some time already.

The ironic thing is, it's already smashed some atoms together (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/24/lhc_tears_up_schedule/). The world hasn't ended, shock horror.

Drone
03-12-09, 12:04
It ain't advancements in science that scare me, it's deteriorations, delays and lack of innovations. kthxbai :wve:

EscondeR
03-12-09, 12:25
The ironic thing is, it's already smashed some atoms together (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/24/lhc_tears_up_schedule/). The world hasn't ended, shock horror.

The thing is there were (and still are) other working colliders than LHC. The only differences are lower energies and as the result particle speeds. Still no headcrabs if you want to know :p

Drone
03-12-09, 12:27
The thing is there were (and still are) other working colliders than LHC. The only differences are lower energies and as the result particle speeds. Still no headcrabs if you want to know :p

Particles collide anyway. It rarely happens in the atmosphere's upper layers

EscondeR
03-12-09, 12:42
Theoretically it can happen in lower layers as well. No resonance singularity was ever formed nevertheless :)

Jedd Fletcher
03-12-09, 12:42
Alba the gfp bunny, a rabbit that glows in the dark. Just weird.

Drone
03-12-09, 12:48
Theoretically it can happen in lower layers as well. No resonance singularity was ever formed nevertheless :)

that's right :) You know this world could've been better if Hawking's books were more popular than twilight or other crap.

EscondeR
03-12-09, 12:55
^ Don't make me start about Twilight :D
My wife drags me to the cinema tonight. 2h10m of my life will be lost :rolleyes:

Apofiss
03-12-09, 12:56
Hmm... LHC!

Paddy
03-12-09, 12:58
My wife drags me to the cinema tonight. 2h10m of my life will be lost :rolleyes:

Hahaha I feel sorry for you man :p

Dennis's Mom
03-12-09, 13:36

My condolences. Maybe if you down Benadryl before hand you can fall asleep?

Drone
03-12-09, 13:39
better take your netbook or notebook with you and play TR instead :D

EscondeR
03-12-09, 13:40
^ Something tells me that I won't need any aid ;)

@ Salim: Aha-ha-ha :vlol: Just imagined those Uzi blazing at highest volume in the middle of the movie :D

Drone
03-12-09, 13:45
lol yup why not, that would freak 'em out :D