PDA

View Full Version : IGN Videogame Hall Of Fame: Tomb Raider

Carbonek_0051
20-10-09, 05:53
I don't know if it's been posted yet, if it has I aplogize.:)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/95/Tomb_Raider_1_Box.jpg
Published by: Eidos Interactive
Developed by: CORE Design Limited
Platform: PC
Year Released: 1996
Genre: Platformer

Tomb Raider did so many things for so many of the world’s pre-pubescent males. Not only did it give us one of the first truly sexy mainstream heroines in videogame history in the form of Lara Croft, but it also forced players to flex their mental muscles to solve the numerous puzzles that our curvaceous vixen was pitted against. Add in a healthy dose of gunplay and Tomb Raider was a more than memorable release for its day.

Debuting originally on the SEGA Saturn (though it was largely thought of as a PlayStation game), Tomb Raider sent ripples through the industry when parents and other authority figures got a look at Lara’s impressive… assets. Imagine our shock when we realized that the game was actually pretty damn good. It was able to blend together an interesting treasure-seeking plotline that brought our titular character to all sorts of exotic locales with action elements that saw Lara battle everything from bears to bats to evil henchmen. Plus, she could dual-wield weapons, something that only increased her sex appeal.

In a sense Lara Croft was the female alternative to Indiana Jones, only much, much better looking. Lara displayed all sorts of acrobatic prowess by climbing and jumping off walls, hurdling around charging beasts and vaulting from platform to platform to go from point A to point B. Not only that, but Lara had no Nancy-boy moral dilemma with carrying myriad firearms in her inventory. Plus, she’s British, so there’s that.

Yes, Tomb Raider was an instant classic when it hit store shelves back in 1994 and the series still lives on today. Despite the updated graphics that the latest round of consoles brings and all of the new “details” that they afford Lara’s character model, there’s no question that the original article is still the cream of the crop. It helped build momentum for Sony’s introductory system that eventually became the super-star of our industry.

Link (http://games.ign.com/halloffame/tomb-raider.html)
IGN's Hall Of Fame (http://games.ign.com/halloffame/)

I don't know why they only have PC as the platform for it.

2kool4u
20-10-09, 06:02
Go Lara! Though i think they spelt her name wrong when you click the link >_>

dizzydoil
20-10-09, 06:24
Go Lara! Though i think they spelt her name wrong when you click the link >_>
OMG! They called her Laura:(.

interstellardave
20-10-09, 10:50
LOL! Well in the description they say "Lara" about 20 times so it's obvious they know who they're talking about. It's unfortunate that whomever typed the one sentence blurb doesn't know!

Besides... Tomb Raider is the achievement, here, not Lara. That's the way it should be.

DREWY
20-10-09, 11:27
Why did it take so long to be inducted? One of the first 3D games, and brilliant for its time.
And speaking of brilliant 3 D games,

It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum.

where's DN 3D?

Phlip
20-10-09, 13:02
Hit the shelves in 1994? :vlol:

LightningRider
20-10-09, 13:04
They got some things wrong, but yay. That's good for Lara. :yah:

Lara Croft!
20-10-09, 13:21
Well deserved!

Jo269976
20-10-09, 14:11
LOL! Well in the description they say "Lara" about 20 times so it's obvious they know who they're talking about. It's unfortunate that whomever typed the one sentence blurb doesn't know!

Blind also, it says 'Featuring Lara Croft' on the cover.

xXhayleyroxXx
20-10-09, 15:19
yayyyy :ton: im happy about this!

Tear
20-10-09, 15:26
I hate when they call her Laura.:hea:

Cochrane
20-10-09, 15:44
I'm not sure what the value of these prizes is. Everybody knows that Tomb Raider was hugely important and influential, even those who donít like it at all. Inducting Tomb Raider in IGNís online hall of fame, frankly, does not make it one bit more notable, important or anything than it was before. It just generates some traffic for IGN from all the Tomb Raider fans who want to see what this is about.

The "Walk of Game" achievement a few years back was similar: Itís a prize only given to people, games and characters that really donít need it. Hence, I vote for simply ignoring it.

Chocola teapot
20-10-09, 15:47
1994? Lmao! uh Dude its 1996!

Super Badnik
20-10-09, 17:02
Great news, i already posted my response in the other thread:
Congrats Tomb Raider. Although i thought TR2 improved over the orginal and TR3 was further improved, but i suppose TR1 is the orginal.