PDA

View Full Version : Misconceptions about your country, region, state, etc...

patriots88888
21-10-09, 03:32
I got to talking with some guy all decked out in his Yankees jersey/attire while exiting the store. He was shocked to hear that I'm not a fan of the team and that I've lived here in Rochester, NY all my life. His belief is that all NY residents should be Yankees (and other NY sports teams) fans. I actually despise all NY sports teams. Most likely because there are so many fans around here and they can be arrogant SOB's most of the time. It got me thinking about some common misconceptions in regards to where you live.

Also, it gets hot here in the Summer months. It's not quite as hot as some Southern regions of the US but it's not as cool as some might think. We do get up in the 90's at times.

So, what are some common misconceptions about where you live? It can be related to anything at all.

Jo269976
21-10-09, 03:35
We don't all know each other here, it's not like the entire population of Scotland is equal to two digits. Just because you know a Scottish person doesn't mean that the entire country is going to know them also. God, I get so annoyed when someone asks me, 'do you know **** ******' :hea:

tranniversary119
21-10-09, 03:41
Rhode Island isn't actually an island. (US):p

NemesisxAngelus
21-10-09, 03:44
We all do drugs.

Because I live in the region where a lot of Dutch celebs seem to live people assume you see them daily.

patriots88888
21-10-09, 03:45
Rhode Island isn't actually an island. (US):p

I never knew that! :eek: :p Is it cramped there though, being such a tiny state area wise?

EmeraldFields
21-10-09, 04:16
I'm from Nebraska and have never set foot on a farm! Nor do I enjoy watching football, or any other sport for that matter.

Native Americans and cowboys no longer roam freely throughout the state either. (A kid from NY actually asked one of my teachers this once.)

ChingKong
21-10-09, 04:22
im from California i dont own a bluetooth i dont tan and i hate the beach lol

ThatNorskChick
21-10-09, 04:46
^ But what about our bikini beach parties and bleach blonde hair? Starbucks on me, ya'll!

Cochrane
21-10-09, 05:07
There's a persistent rumor that the german railways are efficient and generally on time. That is a lie.

Solice
21-10-09, 05:09
Chicago

Al Capone is dead, get over it:p

I never heared anyone in Chicago talk like the Superfans (http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=6203):p

But yes, it gets as frikkin' cold and windy as you have heard

Admles
21-10-09, 05:30
We do not walk around with corks swinging from our hats

We do not all say "G'day mate"

We sound NOTHING like the Australian accents on the Simpsons

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 05:41
I agree with Paddy, if there's any country that has more misconceptions than any other; its Australia.

EscondeR
21-10-09, 05:54
We don't have bears drinking vodka with russian men and rambling streets playing balalaikas.
Though I have a grenade launcher, there is no Mig-37 parked on every second russian back yard :p

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 06:39
There's a persistent rumor that the german railways are efficient and generally on time. That is a lie.I dunno. When I went to Berlin your train network was always on time. :whi:

I agree with Paddy, if there's any country that has more misconceptions than any other; its Australia.I think most have their fair share of misconceptions. Stop trying to play the victim. :tea:

For the UK:

We're not all either really posh or really common
We don't all drink tea
There's nothing wrong with British cooking
We're not all obsessed with the royal family

Changeling
21-10-09, 06:57
We don't wear kilts on a regular basis.

We don't all have ginger hair.

We dinnae a' tal' lek 'iss if yee ken fit 'a mean hen?

We don't all roll our r's and put emphasis on ch's.

We're not drunk all the time.

We are indeed up-to-date with modern technology and don't live in tiny little villages working as farmers.

TR love
21-10-09, 07:40

I really hate how people assume we Australians are!

Whenever i see that Simpsons episode i snap whatever i'm holding!

Anyway..
-The country is not always hot, in fact its freezing in winter.
-Most people live in suburbs, green, hilly country, or apartments, Not crappy little shack towns out in the desert.

Cochrane
21-10-09, 08:23
I dunno. When I went to Berlin your train network was always on time. :whi:

You may not have heard about the recent problems with Berlinís suburban train network, then, which has collapsed almost entirely twice this year because due to a lack of maintenance, large numbers of trains were ordered to be taken out of service by the federal railroad authorityÖ

Anyway, I'm only saying our network isnít great, not that there arenít worse ones. :D

(No idea how it is in Great Britain, though, but we certainly do beat e.g. Belgium)

Keir_Eidos
21-10-09, 08:30
We dinnae a' tal' lek 'iss if yee ken fit 'a mean hen?

Hehe :D

Dina_Croft
21-10-09, 09:30
We don't party every day

We don't say "Opa" all the time and break dishes

We're not THAT happy

We care about things and yes we moan a lot...

disneyprincess20
21-10-09, 09:50
People from Somerset do not drink cider all the time, and not everyone from Bristol speaks like Vicki Pollard.

Rivendell
21-10-09, 09:58
Misconception about Wales?
Usually that 'Sheep' thing.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9423/41604488nobwales.jpg

Totally wrong.
We much prefer Cows.

Johnnay
21-10-09, 10:11

I agree with Paddy, if there's any country that has more misconceptions than any other; its Australia.

or you mean Admles. i didnt see Paddy respond????

anyways

we are not all" Bogans"

our accent is hard to understand by foreigners

we are on a man drought though

we all do not celebrate" Anzac Day" though

Ikas90
21-10-09, 10:14
Australia is an English speaking nation.

I've been told about a guy who added an Australian on MSN, and the first thing he said was, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were from Australia. Do you speak English?"

Wow, just wow. :rolleyes:

Ada the Mental
21-10-09, 10:19
We'are not all overly religious, morally conservative, family and tradition obsessed and stuck in the past. Well, older people might be, I guess, but most of us are over that now.

disneyprincess20
21-10-09, 10:21
I've been told about a guy who added an Australian on MSN, and the first thing he said was, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were from Australia. Do you speak English?"

Wow, just wow. :rolleyes:

:vlol: Priceless!

Spong
21-10-09, 10:37
We all do drugs.

I knew it!

We don't party every day

We're not THAT happy

And what nation is that? :confused:

Technically, yes.

We don't wear kilts on a regular basis.

We don't all have ginger hair.

Russ Abbott begs to differ...

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/09_01/russabbot0709_228x411.jpg

ShadyCroft
21-10-09, 10:40
We don't have like a pack of camels in our backyards.
We don't ride horses around.
We don't live in tents in the middle of the desert.
We don't wear dishdash or whatever clothes Hollywood represent us with.
We do know English, and we do know about about the outside world...maybe not all of us do, but there's an acceptable percentage of people who do.

And what nation is that?

Spong, I think Dina means Greece. Thank God you said that, Dina, cause I was gonna say "Opa" just now...lol! just kidding ! :p

peeves
21-10-09, 10:43
In NY state:
We go to school or work
We have other quality times
We don't call the cops for prank calls
Lots of us speak english here.

Rivendell
21-10-09, 10:46
^ They're misconceptions?

Spong
21-10-09, 10:46
Spong, I think Dina means Greece.

Cheers for that. The "stereotypes" Dina listed obviously haven't reached me. None of them meant anything.

sandygrimm
21-10-09, 10:52
We don't have bears drinking vodka with russian men and rambling streets playing balalaikas.
Though I have a grenade launcher, there is no Mig-37 parked on every second russian back yard :p

:pi: Forgot the bears on unicycles

Squibbly
21-10-09, 11:13
I made this exact same thread! But I'm pretty sure it was more than three months ago so you're safe... :p

Anyway, Canada...

It's not freezing all the time. Where I live it gets quite hot in the summer. The west coast doesn't even snow at all.

We don't have ridiculous sounding accents or say things like "oot and aboot". :mad: That accent thing really gets me. It's sooo wrong.

We're not eskimos, nor do we live in igloos.

We're not drunks.

We don't wear toques 24/7.

I don't know anyone who says "eh?" all the time.

We don't put maple syrup on everything.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

ShadyCroft
21-10-09, 11:17
Anyway, Canada...

It's not freezing all the time. Where I live it gets quite hot in the summer. The west coast doesn't even snow at all.

We don't have ridiculous sounding accents or say things like "oot and aboot". That accent thing really gets me. It's sooo wrong.

We're not drunks.

:p heard those before and I laugh everytime I hear em...love you Canadians ! :hug:
and don't worry, its a misconception,true. I'm from the Middle East and I don't think of those about you.

CerebralAssassin
21-10-09, 11:28
In NY state:
We go to school or work
We have other quality times
We don't call the cops for prank calls
Lots of us speak english here.

are those misconceptions or reality?

while on the topic of NY,here's a common NYC joke:

a guy asking for directions:

"can you tell me how to get to city hall or should I just go **** myself?" :p

We don't party every day

We're not THAT happy

amen to that...and also we don't drink ouzo all day while playing backgammon!:p

Spong
21-10-09, 11:33
I made this exact same thread! But I'm pretty sure it was more than three months ago so you're safe... :p

Anyway, Canada...

We don't have ridiculous sounding accents or say things like "oot and aboot". :mad: That accent thing really gets me. It's sooo wrong.

We're not drunks.

So you are all obsessed with hockey then? And your squirrels are killing ours :mad::p

Squibbly
21-10-09, 11:36
^ Oh yeah. Hockey, some people love it. Squirrels... yep, yours are dead. :mis:

Chocola teapot
21-10-09, 11:49
Misconception about Wales?
Usually that 'Sheep' thing.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9423/41604488nobwales.jpg

Totally wrong.
We much prefer Cows.

You live in wales too?! :O I never noticed.
And I'd have to agree on prefering cows... They moo.

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 12:00
You may not have heard about the recent problems with Berlinís suburban train network, then, which has collapsed almost entirely twice this year because due to a lack of maintenance, large numbers of trains were ordered to be taken out of service by the federal railroad authorityÖ

Anyway, I'm only saying our network isnít great, not that there arenít worse ones. :D

(No idea how it is in Great Britain, though, but we certainly do beat e.g. Belgium)OMG! Germany, you have let me down. Who will we go to now for precise efficiency? :(

Our trains are notorious for being late but I've never had any problems with them. Our buses though are crap.

Wow, just wow. :rolleyes:I think most people know Australia speaks English. This guy was obviously just ignorant. :p

tranniversary119
21-10-09, 12:03
I never knew that! :eek: :p Is it cramped there though, being such a tiny state area wise?

No not at all :wve: It makes it easier to go places because we don't have to go far. :p

Cochrane
21-10-09, 12:08
OMG! Germany, you have let me down. Who will we go to now for precise efficiency? :(
Try Switzerland. On my latest vacation there (about a month ago), the only delay we had was about ten minutes arriving in Interlaken, and this was a vacation that consisted basically only of traveling by train throughout the country (I am what you might call a train nut. :D). Plus, all the trains were clean and comfortable. I heard from swiss people that itís gone downhill lately, and maybe it has, but itís still better than here. :D

Our trains are notorious for being late but I've never had any problems with them. Our buses though are crap.
Interesting. I always had the impression that british companies invested quite a lot in buses, considering they are cascading types (e.g. Mercedes-Benz Citaro) that are used everywhere here down to lower services already.

Another Lara
21-10-09, 12:16
Interesting. I always had the impression that british companies invested quite a lot in buses, considering they are cascading types (e.g. Mercedes-Benz Citaro) that are used everywhere here down to lower services already.

I think you mean the British public invests alot of money in their public transport (extortionate bus and train fares) in order for the government to give us the better service they promise it's for... until we find out they used it to pay for their expenses! :mad:

Okay, Essex:

All us Essex girls are not dumb and blonde and don't wear white stilettoes (I myself do not own any!)
We don't all aspire to get pregnant at 15 and live out our lives on benefits!
We're not all chavs
And we don't all drive Fiestas!

Can't think of anything else right now... :p

patriots88888
21-10-09, 12:17

Sorry, must've missed it or forgotten. :o Didn't intend to be stealing others' ideas. :p

No not at all :wve: It makes it easier to go places because we don't have to go far. :p

True! :vlol: :D

Spong
21-10-09, 12:20
Okay, Essex:

All us Essex girls are not dumb and blonde and don't wear white stilettoes (I myself do not own any!)
We don't all aspire to get pregnant at 15 and live out our lives on benefits!
We're not all chavs
And we don't all drive Fiestas!

*Bites tongue*

Seb_01225
21-10-09, 12:30
People from Somerset do not drink cider all the time, and not everyone from Bristol speaks like Vicki Pollard.

yes this is so true!

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 12:30
Try Switzerland. On my latest vacation there (about a month ago), the only delay we had was about ten minutes arriving in Interlaken, and this was a vacation that consisted basically only of traveling by train throughout the country (I am what you might call a train nut. :D). Plus, all the trains were clean and comfortable. I heard from swiss people that it’s gone downhill lately, and maybe it has, but it’s still better than here. :DNo offense to the Swiss, but Switzerland just doesn't have the same appeal as good ol' Germany. :(

I think you mean the British public invests alot of money in their public transport (extortionate bus and train fares) in order for the government to give us the better service they promise it's for... until we find out they used it to pay for their expenses! :mad:Are the main bus and train companies owned by the government? If they are, I say privatize them! :D

Another Lara
21-10-09, 12:38
Are the main bus and train companies owned by the government? If they are, I say privatize them! :D

lol, well the ones that are private are extortionate too, but the government are able to step in and say enough is enough, but they dont...

And haven't you heard that Boris is officially being questioned by the London Assembly about raising fares for buses and trains yet again next year?! :hea:

*Bites tongue*

:pi:

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 12:38
I
I think most have their fair share of misconceptions. Stop trying to play the victim. :tea:

But you love it when I play the victim. :mis:

our accent is hard to understand by foreigners

we all do not celebrate" Anzac Day" though

Actually our accent isnt so bad, if we just slow down abit. Although, alot of people have trouble understanding when we say "water". :p Especially when its pronounced "war - dahhh"

Also, your ANZAC Day comment, hell yes every Australian celebrates it! But you do raise a point, we're so multi-cultural it doesnt matter what you do or what you celebrate.

Ill add some more to the list;

There is no "Australian Accent" We're so incredibly diverse in our accents, even people from the same area's can have completely different accents. Some ranging from almost British - right past Steve Irwin-esque - to almost American.

Not all Australian's are tanned beach goers - I actually quite like my pale-olive-ness.

On an opposite note - less than 10% of Australian's live "in the outback/bush". We're one of the most urbanised country's on the globe. In fact, around 50% of the Entire nation lives in either Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane.

Of this urbanised population, hardly any would have seen a Kangaroo or Koala in the wild. Ever.

There are not deadly spiders and snakes everywhere. Okay, granted there might be one spider in a ceiling corner every blue moon. But its not like Snakes on a Plane or something :rolleyes:

We dont even say "shrimp". So I have no idea where people got the idea that we all say "Throw another shrimp on the barbie!" (We call them prawns, and barbeque's are mostly reserved for steaks and sausages.)

Fosters may be an Australian beer, but no sane Australian drinks it.

Also kind of not on topic, but we have some of the best Champagne in the world. In fact the French got so jealous they trade marked the term and we had to start calling ours "Sparkling wine".

Thats about all I can think of :jmp: :p

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 12:39
lol, well the ones that are private are extortionate too, but the government are able to step in and say enough is enough, but they dont...

And haven't you heard that Boris is officially being questioned by the London Assembly about raising fares for buses and trains yet again next year?! :hea:Why should the government step in?

Oh, I love Boris. Great man. :D Gotta pay down that debt somehow.

But you love it when I play the victim. :mis:I'm sorry, I don't swing that way. :p

Another Lara
21-10-09, 12:42
Why should the government step in?

Oh, I love Boris. Great man. :D Gotta pay down that debt somehow.

I love him too, but I don't agree with fares going up!

The government need to tell the companies to stop as they are providing a poorer service and yet keep rising their fares, which in a credit crunch is really the worst thing to be doing! As far as these companies are concerned they can charge what they like! Means when I get paid at the end of the month, the more I'm having to struggle to make ends meet because I'm having to pay more to get into work!

It's already been suggested that the government do something (or they say they will) but they won't!

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 12:43
I'm sorry, I don't swing that way. :p

I was kidding, sweetheart :pi: :tea:

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 12:44
I love him too, but I don't agree with fares going up!

The government need to tell the companies to stop as they are providing a poorer service and yet keep rising their fares, which in a credit crunch is really the worst thing to be doing! As far as these companies are concerned they can charge what they like! Means when I get paid at the end of the month, the more I'm having to struggle to make ends meet because I'm having to pay more to get into work!

It's already been suggested that the government do something (or they say they will) but they won't!People will use them less if they put their prices up though, so there's no need for government intervention.

I was kidding, sweetheart :pi: :tea:Go eat your vegimite sandwich mayte :p

Another Lara
21-10-09, 12:47
People will use them less if they put their prices up though, so there's no need for government intervention.

when it's the only way to get into work, like it is for me and everyone else where I live.. and the government are trying to encourage us to get out of our cars and using public transport by putting a congestion charge on the city... yes the government should be doing all they can to stop it! ;)

patriots88888
21-10-09, 12:49
A more general one about the US: Not everyone here is an 'in your face' American flag waver! A common misconception is that we all think we are better than any other country. Simply not true. Nothing wrong with being patriotic mind you, but some take it to the extreme and are completely arrogant about it. Some may be big headed about it, but not me.

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 12:53
Go eat your vegimite sandwich mayte :p

There is nothing more disgusting, then that foul substance known as Vegemite. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

I loved the "mayte" though :p Its true, most Australians effective put an "e" sound after every "a".

Mayte, greayt, fayce :p

Nausinous
21-10-09, 12:55
Misconceptions about my country, hmm, I wonder what that could be. I know! The BIGGEST misconception about this country is that its a democracy! :mad:

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 12:56
^ Oh I dont know. England is much more democratic than say, America!

Lemmie
21-10-09, 12:58
Misconceptions about Glaswegians:

We don't all carry knives.

Not all of us hate people from Edinburgh (or from England).

Some of us actually live beyond the age of fifty-five.

Nausinous
21-10-09, 13:00
^ Oh I dont know. England is much more democratic than say, America!

I don't feel the general public get a say in anything the government does, most policies are to benefit them and not us and the whole system is ****. England is in utter chaos, the amount of drinking, crime and fraud is ridiculous, the police have no hold over this country at all. They were pretty closed to being floored in the riots in London at that bank summit.

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 13:04
I don't feel the general public get a say in anything the government does, most policies are to benefit them and not us and the whole system is ****. England is in utter chaos, the amount of drinking, crime and fraud is ridiculous, the police have no hold over this country at all. They were pretty closed to being floored in the riots in London at that bank summit.

Those arent very good justifications for stating that England isnt democratic.

jaywalker
21-10-09, 13:06
Misconceptions about yorkshiremen:

We only have 1 chat up line, `heres 10p call ya ma and tell her ya aint coming home`.. thats simply not true, back in the 70's we got another one "get ya coat luv u've pulled` :)

oh and that we have bad teeth (like all english people supposedly) we dont its just black cos we eats all the coal

Eleana
21-10-09, 13:09

People from Somerset don't all talk like Hagrid from Harry Potter. When I tell people where I live, they greet me with "Al'right mai luverrr"

Nausinous
21-10-09, 13:11

Okay, I'll rephrase my statement. The biggest conception about the U.K is that it's a good country. In my opinion, it's ****, okay?

The police don't come to your door when someone's breaking in, the mental health care mess you about even after you've tried suicide, education has to be paid after the age of 19 and employment is hard to find and often has no prospects unless you've gone and gotten yourself a degree which is the way the system intends it. Our policy on renewable energies is disgusting, our dedication to our armed forces is worse and all the while these problems are occurring, our politicians are indulging themselves with items that we pay for through our tax to the treasury. It's wrong and to top it all off, they're talking of having a global currency, a global bank and a global government, if you can't even organise your own don't even think about it you pillocs!

jaywalker
21-10-09, 13:15
Okay, I'll rephrase my statement. The biggest conception about the U.K is that it's a good country. In my opinion, it's ****, okay?

The police don't come to your door when someone's breaking in, the mental health care mess you about even after you've tried suicide, education has to be paid after the age of 19 and employment is hard to find and often has no prospects unless you've gone and gotten yourself a degree which is the way the system intends it. Our policy on renewable energies is disgusting, our dedication to our armed forces is worse and all the while these problems are occurring, our politicians are indulging themselves with items that we pay for through our tax to the treasury. It's wrong and to top it all off, they're talking of having a global currency, a global bank and a global government, if you can't even organise your own don't even think about it you pillocs!

is that from personal experience or just your take on what u see in the media?

i had a problem with something and called cops, they came round in minutes.. have had no problems with my health care when needed to (on nhs). I've not got a degree but have had a few fantastic jobs whilst my friends who are highly qualified are struggling to find work.

Nausinous
21-10-09, 13:18
is that from personal experience or just your take on what u see in the media?

i had a problem with something and called cops, they came round in minutes.. have had no problems with my health care when needed to (on nhs). I've not got a degree but have a few fantastic jobs whilst my friends who are highly qualified are struggling to find work.

This is all personal experience. I don't just base my opinions on what's portrayed in the media, I've fallen to the lowest and hit every system on the way down and have been treated like a second class citizen. That is possibly because I live in a bad area. I've learnt more than any of my friends who just went to University about life, I've learned learnt how to deal with life and now more than ever, I know what I have to do.

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 13:19

To be honest there are plently worse goverments than Great Britians...

jaywalker
21-10-09, 13:22
This is all personal experience. I don't just base my opinions on what's portrayed in the media, I've fallen to the lowest and hit every system on the way down and have been treated like a second class citizen. That is possibly because I live in a bad area. I've learnt more than any of my friends who just went to University about life, I've learned learnt how to deal with life and now more than ever, I know what I have to do.
yeh location is a massive factor in terms of `luck` in this country

Nausinous
21-10-09, 13:25
To be honest there are plently worse goverments than Great Britians...

Yes but its ****. I live here and I'm having a hard time, trying to make it better for myself, applied for like 37 jobs this week and about 23 have said no. I'd educate myself to get better opportunities but I have to pay for that. Can't get even get support (Not that I'd want it when others need it more than) from the government because I've been out of work such a long time.

yeh location is a massive factor in terms of `luck` in this country

I think the location lottery is awful.

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 13:28
Okay, so because youre under educated, and not getting a job, it's Britian's fault?

And don't reply "im not under educated", pretty much everyone has, or is planning on having a degree these days, especially where it is so accesable to do so in Countries like Britian and Australia. America, not so much.

disneyprincess20
21-10-09, 13:29

To be fair, we've got a leader we haven't voted into office*. Even Afghanistan is getting a better chance at voting for their leader!

*Yes, I know we don't vote for the leader of the party, we vote for the party in our own areas, but it's still quite ironic that we're fighting for democracy in another country when we are denied the chance to vote ourselves until the very last minute!

People from Somerset don't all talk like Hagrid from Harry Potter. When I tell people where I live, they greet me with "Al'right mai luverrr"

That said, the film Hot Fuzz is scarily accurate to the city it was filmed in (the Somerset city of Wells).

irjudd
21-10-09, 13:30

Anyway, Canada...

We're not drunks.

That's all I can think of at the moment.I notice you didn't mention the sled dogs you have to use to get to work, so I'm going to assume it's still true.

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 13:32
To be fair, we've got a leader we haven't voted into office*. Even Afghanistan is getting a better chance at voting for their leader!

*Yes, I know we don't vote for the leader of the party, we vote for the party in our own areas, but it's still quite ironic that we're fighting for democracy in another country when we are denied the chance to vote ourselves until the very last minute!

Fair enough, I guess. Alot of people didnt vote for our PM either, he was just the "lesser of other evils".

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 13:33
when it's the only way to get into work, like it is for me and everyone else where I live.. and the government are trying to encourage us to get out of our cars and using public transport by putting a congestion charge on the city... yes the government should be doing all they can to stop it! ;)Oh yeah, the congestion charge is criminal. I think that should definitely br scrapped.

Misconceptions about my country, hmm, I wonder what that could be. I know! The BIGGEST misconception about this country is that its a democracy! :mad:But we are a democracy. :)

^ Oh I dont know. England is much more democratic than say, America!How so? :p America gets to choose it presidential candidates for example. We don't.

And it's Britain! Not England! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry016.gif

The police don't come to your door when someone's breaking in, the mental health care mess you about even after you've tried suicide, education has to be paid after the age of 19 and employment is hard to find and often has no prospects unless you've gone and gotten yourself a degree which is the way the system intends it. Our policy on renewable energies is disgusting, our dedication to our armed forces is worse and all the while these problems are occurring, our politicians are indulging themselves with items that we pay for through our tax to the treasury. It's wrong and to top it all off, they're talking of having a global currency, a global bank and a global government, if you can't even organise your own don't even think about it you pillocs!I think we've got it much better off than most of the world.

The police do actually. When we were burgled a few years ago the police were here before we even knew about it! (we were asleep). I don't know why people are always ****ging off the police, they're really not that bad.

I can't really comment on the mental health care as I've never had to use it.

I don't see what's wrong with paying for university and other forms of higher education. I think "free" university is a terrible idea.

Yes, I agree, our policy on alternative energies is certainly not that good. The government are too focused on "going green" and appeasing the eco-terrorists and taxing us through the roof instead of using what works best - fossil fuels.

This is the first I've heard about there being a world government. That's just a conspiracy with no actual factual basis.

To be honest there are plently worse goverments than Great Britians...:tmb:

Disney Princess has a fair point about our PM being unelected though. That doesn't mean we're not a democracy though, it's just a massive flaw that comes from not having a written constitution.

Nausinous
21-10-09, 13:35
Okay, so because youre under educated, and not getting a job, it's Britian's fault?

And don't reply "im not under educated", pretty much everyone has, or is planning on having a degree these days, especially where it is so accesable to do so in Countries like Britian and Australia. America, not so much.

I'm trying to to get a job, can't get one, considering further education but I don't have the money. It's catch 22. I'm not saying its the states fault I'm in this situation, I'm saying the systems are flawed that I've encountered and that is my opinion.

This is the first I've heard about there being a world government. That's just a conspiracy with no actual factual basis.

I'm not saying University should be free, I can't even get into college to get to University without paying and there is discussion for a global government. I have evidence, I will fetch it for you.

Eleana
21-10-09, 13:36

That said, the film Hot Fuzz is scarily accurate to the city it was filmed in (the Somerset city of Wells).

It was filmed in Wells? I didn't know! I'm in Glastonbury so its not far either. :o

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 13:36
I can't get a job either. Yeah, I know I'm 16 and I'm in college (and planning to go to uni) but it's mainly to do with the recession. The government can't just create jobs out of thin air.

Nausinous
21-10-09, 13:38
I can't get a job either. Yeah, I know I'm 16 and I'm in college (and planning to go to uni) but it's mainly to do with the recession. The government can't just create jobs out of thin air.

It can make money out of thin air, so why not jobs Tony?

Edit: Oh heres my link ... global government (http://www.infowars.com/climate-treaty-will-create-world-government-dictatorship/).

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 13:39
Oh yeah, the congestion charge is criminal. I think that should definitely br scrapped.

I think the idea is good, get the fuel guzzlers off the streets. But then again, I dont live in Britain, or drive... so I cant really offer an unbiased opinion.

But we are a democracy. :)

yes, you are:tmb:

How so? :p America gets to choose it presidential candidates for example. We don't.

I mostly just dont like the idea of a Two Party system.

And it's Britain! Not England! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-angry016.gif

(my bad :p)

I don't see what's wrong with paying for university and other forms of higher education. I think "free" university is a terrible idea.

"Free" university is a bad idea. It was free here back in the 60's, but Im quite sure it bled the government dry. Our "deffered payments" scheme, though, is VERY fair, and very convenient, and should be implented everywhere, I think :tmb:

Yes, I agree, our policy on alternative energies is certainly not that good. The government are too focused on "going green" and appeasing the eco-terrorists and taxing us through the roof instead of using what works best - fossil fuels.

I think people in Britain should shut up about Britain and focus on dirtier contries (like Australia, for instance :tea: )
This is the first I've heard about there being a world government. That's just a conspiracy with not actual factual basis.

The idea actually intrigues me. I wouldnt mind institutions like the UN having more power in influencing national governments

I added my responses in bold, yes, I raped your post - sorry!

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 13:40

I literally loled at this post. :vlol:

disneyprincess20
21-10-09, 13:41

Edit: Oh heres my link ... global government (http://www.infowars.com/climate-treaty-will-create-world-government-dictatorship/).

Because you can't just create employers the same way money can be created?

Nausinous
21-10-09, 13:42
I literally loled at this post. :vlol:

Your so rude.

irjudd
21-10-09, 13:46
Money can't just be "created" either. You can print bank notes, yes, but it won't be worth anything. Who wants a dollar that's worth less?

Nausinous
21-10-09, 13:46
Because you can't just create employers the same way money can be created?

Well they need to work to creating new work, some new thing to sell, I don't know. I feel like I'm going out of my mind here. People just sit all comfy at their computer desks and tell me I'm mad but have you actually been at the bottom of the pile? Are you encountering the barriers, that I'm encountering? Are you at the point that you take your own life over having to live with the problems I have? No. Then stop ****ing laughing at me. Sick of the bull**** on this forum and being ignored, by people and treated like ****. You can all **** off. I'd rather be on my own then debate with a community and treated like a dick.

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 13:47
If Im rude, then "your" naive. Also that link, was total bollucks, you dont seriously believe what that chappy was going on about, do you?

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 13:49

Edit: Oh heres my link ... global government (http://www.infowars.com/climate-treaty-will-create-world-government-dictatorship/).It can't make actual money out of thin air though.

Do you actually have a credible source and not just Infowars adding their massive spin on things? As far as news goes Infowars is pure drivel. Come on, these are the people who believe 9/11 was an inside job and taking the swine flu shots will kill you.

Alex Jones (the guy who runs Infowars) has been saying this mythical "NWO" for decades. Nothing has ever come of it nor has he offered any real proof.

Alex Jones and his tinfoil hat-wearing fans give people who oppose Obama a bad name.

I added my responses in bold, yes, I raped your post - sorry!But America isn't a two-party system, there's just only two parties with any real influence. There's nothing stopping a third party from gaining influence.

Well they need to work to creating new work, some new thing to sell, I don't know. I feel like I'm going out of my mind here. People just sit all comfy at their computer desks and tell me I'm mad but have you actually been at the bottom of the pile? Are you encountering the barriers, that I'm encountering? Are you at the point that you take your own life over having to live with the problems I have? No. Then stop ****ing laughing at me. Sick of the bull**** on this forum and being ignored, by people and treated like ****. You can all **** off. I'd rather be on my own then debate with a community and treated like a dick.Go then. :)

Eleana
21-10-09, 13:51
Well they need to work to creating new work, some new thing to sell, I don't know. I feel like I'm going out of my mind here. People just sit all comfy at their computer desks and tell me I'm mad but have you actually been at the bottom of the pile? Are you encountering the barriers, that I'm encountering? Are you at the point that you take your own life over having to live with the problems I have? No. Then stop ****ing laughing at me. Sick of the bull**** on this forum and being ignored, by people and treated like ****. You can all **** off. I'd rather be on my own then debate with a community and treated like a dick.

No one was flaming you. But if you think you're the only person life has dealt a bad hand to, please reconsider. :o

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 13:51
It can't make actual money out of thin air though.

Do you actually have a credible source and not just Infowars adding their massive spin on things? As far as news goes Infowars is pure drivel. Come on, these are the people who believe 9/11 was an inside job and taking the swine flu shots will kill you.

Alex Jones (the guy who runs Infowars) has been saying this mythical "NWO" for decades. Nothing has ever come of it nor has he offered any real proof.
:tmb:

But America isn't a two-party system, there's just only two parties with any real influence. There's nothing stopping a third party from gaining influence.

Go then. :)

Really? I was under the impression that when it came to America's final presidential election it was always between two parties. Ie; you vote for one or the other (or none at all) at the final stage, there being no other options.

Oh please, Richard. You are a long, long, long way from the "bottom of the pile."

disneyprincess20
21-10-09, 13:52
Well they need to work to creating new work, some new thing to sell, I don't know. I feel like I'm going out of my mind here. People just sit all comfy at their computer desks and tell me I'm mad but have you actually been at the bottom of the pile? Are you encountering the barriers, that I'm encountering? Are you at the point that you take your own life over having to live with the problems I have? No. Then stop ****ing laughing at me.

I'm not laughing at you, I've never laughed at you. I've always tried to be supportive of you, so please don't turn me into your enemy. I'm just pointing out that whilst there is a system in place to "create new money" (the Bank of England) there is no system in place to just create new jobs. The employment sector does not work like that.

I'm not saying I know anything about the problems you're encountering, because I know little about your situation. I have however encountered my own problems, and I have reached a suicidal point before. I just worked my way out of it. I want to be your friend. :)

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 13:56
Really? I was under the impression that when it came to America's final presidential election it was always between two parties. Ie; you vote for one or the other (or none at all) at the final stage, there being no other options.Nah. There are loads of other parties, they're just not as popular and voting for them is considered a wasted vote. We get that here too.

http://www.babeled.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/2008-presidential-election-ballot.jpg

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 13:56
I'm not laughing at you, I've never laughed at you. I've always tried to be supportive of you, so please don't turn me into your enemy. I'm just pointing out that whilst there is a system in place to "create new money" (the Bank of England) there is no system in place to just create new jobs. The employment sector does not work like that.

No it doesnt, unless we want to start burning money to keep warm like the Germans of yore, or carrying "loose change" in wheelbarrows like the people of Zimbabwe.

Nah. There are loads of other parties.

http://www.babeled.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/2008-presidential-election-ballot.jpg

Oh wow! I wonder where my misconception came from?! Thank you so much for showing me this.

disneyprincess20
21-10-09, 14:06
No it doesnt, unless we want to start burning money to keep warm like the Germans of yore, or carrying "loose change" in wheelbarrows like the people of Zimbabwe.

I know, but during the quantitive easing here several media outlets explained the meaning on this as the Bank of England "creating new money". It's where the idea that new money can be created easily comes from. I understand that too much quantitive easing sends an ecomony down the pan, I'm juyst trying to explain that there's no equivalent for the employment sector.

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 14:12
I know, but during the quantitive easing here several media outlets explained the meaning on this as the Bank of England "creating new money". It's where the idea that new money can be created easily comes from. I understand that too much quantitive easing sends an ecomony down the pan, I'm juyst trying to explain that there's no equivalent for the employment sector.

I was agreeing whole heartedly with your earlier post :)

violentblossom
21-10-09, 14:12
Why do you try and turn every thread you enter into a pity party, Nausinous?

Blah. Texans are misconceived as cowboy attire wearing hicks who ride horses to work and lasso our children when they misbehave.

disneyprincess20
21-10-09, 14:13
I was agreeing whole heartedly with your earlier post :)

Whoops! Sorry Scoopy, my misunderstanding :)

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 14:16
Why do you try and turn every thread you enter into a pity party, Nausinous?

Blah. Texans are misconceived as cowboy attire wearing hicks who ride horses to work and lasso our children when they misbehave.

That would be so awesome! I wonder if I could get away with doing that in the supermaket.... Ill explain it away as "its how we do it out bush."

Whoops! Sorry Scoopy, my misunderstanding :)

No problems, Sweetie :D :hug:

violentblossom
21-10-09, 14:18
That would be so awesome! I wonder if I could get away with doing that in the supermaket.... Ill explain it away as "its how we do it out bush."

LOL. :vlol:

Well, if you came over here and did that, and then said that it was something in the bush, people would probably believe you. :p

"Don't judge him, he's Australian!"

It'd be a whole big to-do about taking away your culture and civil rights, and all that jazz..

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 14:20
LOL. :vlol:

Well, if you came over here and did that, and then said that it was something in the bush, people would probably believe you. :p

"Don't judge him, he's Australian!"

It'd be a whole big to-do about taking away your culture and civil rights, and all that jazz..

God bless... Texas! :vlol:

violentblossom
21-10-09, 14:24
God bless... Texas! :vlol:

This country is really funny about that. Everyone tries so hard to be politically correct... we just end up embarassing ourselves half of the time because the people that were supposedly offending couldn't care less.

Cochrane
21-10-09, 14:33
No offense to the Swiss, but Switzerland just doesn't have the same appeal as good ol' Germany. :(/QUOTE]
Hm, living here, I disagree, but I guess one will (almost) always think of the place were one lives as less interesting than others do, because one is there all the time.

[QUOTE=Mad Tony;4107432]Are the main bus and train companies owned by the government? If they are, I say privatize them! :D
I hope I don't offend you, but it is worth pointing out that german experts usually point to Great Britain's model of privatization as an example of how not to do it. An attractive railway offering will always require some central control for tickets, connections and so on. Also, in the regional and commuter area, subsidies are absolutely necessary, you can't run them at a profit otherwise, so the governnment does have the power and responsability of interfering if things are really bad.

Of course, one could always say ďDon't run these trains thenĒ, but the increase in car traffic would only lead to more things like the congestion charge, as space for new roads in city centers tends to be limited.

scoopy_loopy
21-10-09, 14:34
^ Then again government run public transport can also be a total disaster! Look at Sydney's train system... its deemed 3rd world. Im not making that up either.

Cochrane
21-10-09, 15:40
^ Then again government run public transport can also be a total disaster! Look at Sydney's train system... its deemed 3rd world. Im not making that up either.

Sure, mismanagement can be a problem no matter who runs it, and I don't want to say government should absolutely run it itself. However, you can't really have a free market in the commuter rail business, so you have to have other mechanisms to ensure that quality and prices stay acceptable.

GameGlitcher77
21-10-09, 15:45

:vlol: :vlol: :vlol: x100

Sir Croft
21-10-09, 15:51
If you watch that Simpsons episode (The Simpsons Go to Rio) you'll see the biggest misconception about Brazil and more precisely about Rio de Janeiro.
No, not all girls here are hookers.
No, we don't speak spanish.
No, there are no monkeys on the streets.
No, not everyone here is into samba.
No, the city is not a big slum.
No, Rio de Janeiro isn't just about the beaches and samba.
No, Buenos Aires is not in Brazil, it's in Argentina, and Rio de Janeiro isn't the capital city of Brazil, it's Brasilia.

Forwen
21-10-09, 15:52
It seems Polish are believed to have been bad guys in that Holocaust business.

TR93
21-10-09, 15:55
We dont all speak with posh accents:p

disneyprincess20
21-10-09, 15:55
It seems Polish are believed to have been bad guys in that Holocaust business.

Really? I've never heard of that one.

Reggie
21-10-09, 15:56
Cornwall has a lot of misconceptions about it I think. Some areas are actually quite modern and sophisticated. There's certainly a lot more to the area than just farms and beaches though I'd hope people don't box Cornwall into being just that anyway. >.<

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 15:59
If you watch that Simpsons episode (The Simpsons Go to Rio) you'll see the biggest misconception about Brazil and more precisely about Rio de Janeiro.
No, Buenos Aires is not in Brazil, it's in Argentina, and Rio de Janeiro isn't the capital city of Brazil, it's Brasilia.The Simpsons really made such a big geographical mistake? :confused:

I take it the football mad Brazillian stereotype is true then? :p

Forwen
21-10-09, 16:00
Really? I've never heard of that one.

That's good to hear because that's just my impression of the Western perception. Maybe I'm wrong.

violentblossom
21-10-09, 16:01
That's good to hear because that's just my impression of the Western perception. Maybe I'm wrong.

I hadn't heard that, either.

Sir Croft
21-10-09, 16:03
The Simpsons really made such a big geographical mistake? :confused:

I take it the football mad Brazillian stereotype is true then? :p

No, the Simspsons didn't make such mistake, I just added that cause it's quite common :p

And, yes, sadly the football mad Brazilian stereotype is true :p

irjudd
21-10-09, 16:04
The only stereotype about Polish I've ever heard are the "pollack jokes" that make them sound dumb.

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 16:05
That's good to hear because that's just my impression of the Western perception. Maybe I'm wrong.Where have you heard that? I've always taken a huge interest in WWII and I've never heard anything of the sort.

@Reggie: This is what all people from Devon and Cornwall are like

5tuVGST_1gE

:D

Forwen
21-10-09, 16:17
Where have you heard that? I've always taken a huge interest in WWII and I've never heard anything of the sort.

I'm saying that over time I have developed an impression that 'Poles' and 'Holocaust' are associated rather negatively, obviously not in the way 'Germans' is, but still on the condemning side. Do you want a specific link or quote? It's not a full-blown theory I'm talking about here (stereotypes hardly are) so finding again one of those that led me to this impression might take a while.

ShadyCroft
21-10-09, 16:22
No, Buenos Aires is not in Brazil, it's in Argentina, and Rio de Janeiro isn't the capital city of Brazil, it's Brasilia.

Oh I definitely hear this one a lot. A lot of people around here keep saying that Brazilians speak Spanish, and I always tell them they speak Portuguese. :)

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 16:27
I'm saying that over time I have developed an impression that 'Poles' and 'Holocaust' are associated rather negatively, obviously not in the way 'Germans' is, but still on the condemning side. Do you want a specific link or quote? It's not a full-blown theory I'm talking about here (stereotypes hardly are) so finding again one of those that led me to this impression might take a while.I know the Poles are generally assumed to be the main victims of the Holocaust (before WWII Poland had a very high Jewish population). Yeah, a quote or link would be nice.

Saying that though, there were Poles in the SS, although they were forced into conscription I believe.

SamReeves
21-10-09, 16:31

Nooooes! There goes my Brazilian fantasy! :D

scion05
21-10-09, 16:37
Us northerners don't all talk like we dropped out of school in year four. :D

The Simpsons really made such a big geographical mistake? :confused:

Oh Ben... LOL. Tell me, where is the capital of Australia ? :ton:

CroftGameGirl
21-10-09, 16:39
I don't think there are many misconceptions about Albania... no one knows us :pi: :p
But a few people I know think we all hate Serbians. Which may be true about some people in my country, but I ,personally, can't be able to bring myself to do such a thing. :) I have many lovely Serbian friends :hug: Not to mention, my husband...:whi: :ton:

Forwen
21-10-09, 17:01
I know the Poles are generally assumed to be the main victims of the Holocaust (before WWII Poland had a very high Jewish population). Yeah, a quote or link would be nice.

Saying that though, there were Poles in the SS, although they were forced into conscription I believe.

First of all - I meant Poles as national identity, not citizenship. Your statement is correct in that Jews of Polish citizenship were statistically the biggest group among the exterminated Jews, but their cultural/national identity was Jewish, not Polish.

Since now I can't find any of those specific examples I had in mind my example is going to be a cheap shot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_death_camp_controversy) (wikipedia), the term "Polish death camps" that many in Poland believe to be a dangerous figure of speech, imho because to many Westerners "Poland" is obscure enough as it is.

That and the fact that a good part of cultural Poles (I don't like the term 'ethnic') was passive during the war can lead to the assumption it was out of ill will, given enough ill will and not enough knowledge on the part of those making the assumption. I've seen and heard a few examples of that but as I'm saying, I can't support it with a source so feel free to dismiss it.

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 17:06
Us northerners don't all talk like we dropped out of school in year four. :D

Oh Ben... LOL. Tell me, where is the capital of Australia ? :ton:Canberra. I've been there. What's your point? :p

@Forwen: Ok, I see what you mean now.

]{eith
21-10-09, 17:31
IRELAND

Irish people are not all short.
Irish people never say 'Top o' the morning'...ever. Or 'Sure and begorra' or any of that crap.
WTF are Lucky Charms?
We don't all have red hair.
We're not all alcoholics.
The country is not made up of back-arse villages. There are modern and sophisticated towns and cities.
It is not always raining or cold. Ireland has a mild climate.
Irish people aren't all stupid. The country is always coming up with new breakthroughs in medicine and science.

tomblover
21-10-09, 17:39
Sweden, Sverige, La Suede, um, whatever.

This is a mostly asian thing, I think, but NO, ice bears do not walk on our streets. :vlol:

Oh, and not all Swedes are blonde and blue-eyed. :p Nor do all girls have the name Helga. :whi:

Sir Croft
21-10-09, 17:41
{eith;4107873']IRELAND

Irish people never say 'Top o' the morning'...ever. Or 'Sure and begorra' or any of that crap.
WTF are Lucky Charms?
The country is not made up of back-arse villages. There are modern and sophisticated towns and cities.
Irish people aren't all stupid. The country is always coming up with new breakthroughs in medicine and science.

You still have leprechauns? :pi:

Nannonxyay
21-10-09, 17:42
We don't all have bad teeth. It seems that a lot of people think that all English people have terrible dental health. Well, they do make a lot of jokes about it in The Simpsons and Family Guy. :p

GameGlitcher77
21-10-09, 17:47
{eith;4107873']IRELAND

WTF are Lucky Charms?

:vlol: :vlol: :vlol: It's an American Cereal brand, unless your being sacastic that is???:confused: :p :mis: I'm actually part Irish BTW :whi:

]{eith
21-10-09, 17:51
You still have leprechauns? :pi:

Nah, they died out years ago. :p

:vlol: :vlol: :vlol: It's an American Cereal brand, unless your being sacastic that is???:confused: :p :mis: I'm actually part Irish BTW :whi:

Oh right. It's just all I ever is 'I wanna go to Ireland and eat Lucky Charms' and I'm like...'wut?' :p

Reggie
21-10-09, 17:51
@Reggie: This is what all people from Devon and Cornwall are like

I hate that advert! I mute it everytime its on. :p

Forwen
21-10-09, 17:52
Ireland? Celts and U2.

scion05
21-10-09, 18:11
Canberra. I've been there. What's your point? :p

@Forwen: Ok, I see what you mean now.

Well thank god you know some capitals :D

:ton:

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 18:15
Well thank god you know some capitals :D

:ton:I know many capitals :confused:

adventurerLara
21-10-09, 18:18
Canberra. I've been there. What's your point? :p

From my experience, I'm suprised by the amount of people that don't know that.

scion05
21-10-09, 18:18
I know many capitals :confused:

Yet you learned them all from The Simpsons? :D

Eeeeeee you're so easy to bug/annoy lol :p

Los Angeles
21-10-09, 18:19
We don't all have bad teeth. It seems that a lot of people think that all English people have terrible dental health. Well, they do make a lot of jokes about it in The Simpsons and Family Guy. :p

Family Guy Rules! xD

No, i've been in England. Beautiful country! :o

xXhayleyroxXx
21-10-09, 18:23
not all english people talk like lara croft - if fact hardly any

oh and we're not all rich

Mad Tony
21-10-09, 18:48
Yet you learned them all from The Simpsons? :DNo...

Dina_Croft
21-10-09, 18:50
amen to that...and also we don't drink ouzo all day while playing backgammon!:p

You're from Greece?

jackles
21-10-09, 19:17

Thats because some people still think this is pre wwII Britain where we had been trying to recover from the depression and before the nhs sorted out peoples dental health.

Oh and no one EVER sounded like Dick Van Dyke. EVER.

There are no jolly bobbies blowing a whistles. No red phone boxes anymore either. London does not resemble the 60's.

Now all we have to do is nail that hideous lie that all the country drink like fishes and love to go out and fight and we will be away.

xXhayleyroxXx
21-10-09, 19:19
Thats because some people still think this is pre wwII Britain where we had been trying to recover from the depression and before the nhs sorted out peoples dental health.

There are no jolly bobbies blowing a whistles. No red phone boxes anymore either. London does not resemble the 60's.

Now all we have to do is nail that hideous lie that all the country drink like fishes and love to go out and fight and we will be away.

haha actually theres a red post box up here - then again it is the country and can be excused :)

Spong
21-10-09, 19:25

Maoury Popperns :vlol:

No red phone boxes anymore either.

I have to disagree there, several dozen of them have been conserved in Essex alone and are still very much in use.

But that is the truth (albeit depressing). At least where I live anyway :pi:

God Horus
21-10-09, 19:29
OMG!!

I hate it when people are like "You know... Canada... where the moose and the soldiers and stuff are!!"

THERE ARE NOT MOOSE RUNNING AROUND. THERE ARE NOT FORESTS EVERYWHERE.

We have normal cities like in other parts of the world.

Lady Gaga is coming to Toronto which is a HUGE Canadian city, and I read something on another website by someone which said "what...is she performing in the woods for the moose?"

Also, we have free healthcare. I am shocked that so many people don't know that! :eek:

Edit - ONE MORE THING... every province isn't freezing with snow and hail all the time and people walking around with snowshoes and parkas!!!

CandicoTT
21-10-09, 19:29
I'm from Canada and we don't ALL so EHHH? If we were to say it anyway, you don't even notice it it just follows along with what you say for example "I know, eh?" like were not saying it in a loud manner to make it so visible so people can hear it. And most people don't even say it anyway. Mkay...yeah Not all Canadians say it people, just clearing that up... :D But this is my opinion I guess....

CandicoTT
21-10-09, 19:32
OMG!!

I hate it when people are like "You know... Canada... where the moose and the soldiers and stuff are!!"

THERE ARE NOT MOOSE RUNNING AROUND. THERE ARE NOT FORESTS EVERYWHERE.

We have normal cities like in other parts of the world.

Lady Gaga is coming to Toronto which is a HUGE Canadian city, and I read something on another website by someone which said "what...is she performing in the woods for the moose?"

Also, we have free healthcare. I am shocked that so many people don't know that! :eek:

ONE MORE THING... every province isn't freezing with snow and hail all the time and people walking around with snowshoes and parkas!!!

That's exactly what I'm saying! Canada isn't like what people think it is all the time.

jackles
21-10-09, 19:34
Maoury Popperns :vlol:

I have to disagree there, several dozen of them have been conserved in Essex alone and are still very much in use. All out phone boxes here have been transformed into blue and grey things with adverts on.

But that is the truth (albeit depressing). At least where I live anyway :pi:

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhh!!!! This is a prime chance to change that stereotype!!

*goes off to drink tea*

*minus cucumber sandwiches*

Los Angeles
21-10-09, 19:35
I used to live in Michigan. It almost is Canada. Very nice!

God Horus
21-10-09, 19:36
That's another thing. In one episode of The Simpsons when they went to Canada, everyone was like "eh" and they had the stereotypical Canadian accent. We don't have these accents, we aren't obsessed with making toffee and farming.

Also, we are PART OF NORTH AMERICA. Lots of people don't know that! So remember how Tomb Raider Underworld came out in North America first? Well lots of people were like "omg how come the U.S. get it first! That's so unfair..." well we are part of North America too!! Just because it has the word America in it doesn't mean we're not part of it.

Sorry for venting so much ... but I have seen so many of these dumb assumptions of Canadians.

Also we don't wear ugly clothing and parkas and hats and boots all the time. The 2010 Olympics will help the world see what Canada really is like :)

Spong
21-10-09, 19:37
All out phone boxes here have been transformed into blue and grey things with adverts on.

We have those too, but the red boxes are far more appealing. Even though they tend to smell of wee.

jackles
21-10-09, 19:41
Well they were always cunningly disguised public urinals Spong......I can remember making calls while being very careful not to touch any part of the phone walls at all!!

Spong
21-10-09, 19:44
Well they were always cunningly disguised public urinals Spong......I can remember making calls while being very careful not to touch any part of the phone walls at all!!

The phone box around the corner from me, you're likely to get chocolate or glue or chewing gum or sick in your ear if you hold the receiver up to it. But I digress...

jackles
21-10-09, 19:49
Round here the phone boxes are full of junkies...

anyway...on topic......We are not all football hooligans.

Peanut
21-10-09, 20:01
I live in Kuwait and whenever people talk about the Middle East, they think everyone lives in tents and in the desert. We live in normal Apartments and houses and we are not a poor culture. It is a city like most other places in the world. I am Lebanese. My mom is Moroccan. :)

Here is what Kuwait looks like if any one is wondering. :)

http://www.elite-travelcompanion.com/town/images/kuwait/0308-kuwait-city%5B1%5D.jpg

This is at night in the Business district.

patriots88888
21-10-09, 20:05
I live in Kuwait and whenever people talk about the Middle East, they think everyone lives in tents and in the desert. We live in normal Apartments and houses and we are not a poor culture. It is a city like most other places in the world. I am Lebanese. My mom is Moroccan. :)

Here is what Kuwait looks like if any one is wondering. :)

http://www.elite-travelcompanion.com/town/images/kuwait/0308-kuwait-city%5B1%5D.jpg

This is at night in the Business district.

It's really beautiful, especially in the nightime backdrop with the lights! :)

Nenya awakens
21-10-09, 20:17

I'd like to add that i do not own and have never set foot on a Combine Harvester!

ooooooh i gota brand new combine arvester an ill give you the key.

G_iz4GIR
21-10-09, 20:52
I am from Texas and many people think that everyone that lives here are all cowboys. I'm not going to say that there are not cowboys, however, because then I'd be lying. There are some but not everyone is.

I don't own a ranch or a farm. i live in normal sized house. I've ridden on a horse one time and not for very long, either.

I really don't like it when people make fun of our accents. Everyone has weird accents. I went to Colorado once and everyone there talked really weird. I've never said "Yeehaw!" in my entire life and I don't really know anyone who has in my town, either.

Oh and just because I might sound like a "hick", it doesn't mean that I'm stupid. I make high A's most of the time and few high B's.

Squibbly
21-10-09, 22:57
Sorry, must've missed it or forgotten. :o Didn't intend to be stealing others' ideas. :p

Oh no, I know that. I wasn't accusing anything. :)

ihatecold17
22-10-09, 02:40
Not everybody who lives in Connecticut is filthy rich. I think most of the people here don't even know that.

miss.haggard
22-10-09, 02:56
Everyone thinks that all people that live on Earth are humans... ugh, how wrong they are...

GameGlitcher77
22-10-09, 05:56
Everyone thinks that all people that live on Earth are humans... ugh, how wrong they are...

Oh really??? :mis: I'm intriqued to know in what way:D:p;):tea:

TR love
22-10-09, 06:07
Australians dont drive around in cars that look like this. OK! They are out of fashion right now!
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd329/Urz_4eva_1234/ute.jpg

disneyprincess20
22-10-09, 08:17
I'd like to add that i do not own and have never set foot on a Combine Harvester!

ooooooh i gota brand new combine arvester an ill give you the key.

Acutally, I have, and seen the Wurzles. :o I'm only advancing that stereotype!

scoopy_loopy
22-10-09, 08:54
Australians dont drive around in cars that look like this. OK! They are out of fashion right now!
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd329/Urz_4eva_1234/ute.jpg

Eugh! Tell that to the country bumpkins I had to live with in boarding school.

CerebralAssassin
22-10-09, 10:49
You're from Greece?

of course!!:D

Nenya awakens
22-10-09, 14:37
Acutally, I have, and seen the Wurzles. :o I'm only advancing that stereotype!

I've seen the Wurzles more then once.. and was actually drinking cider at the time.

Oh dear....

disneyprincess20
22-10-09, 14:46
I've seen the Wurzles more then once.. and was actually drinking cider at the time.

Oh dear....

Shhhh.... You were drinking apple juice!!

By the way, have you ever had a cider puppy?

Encore
22-10-09, 15:02
Some think we're just a region belonging to Spain. Ironic because we're one of the oldest countries in Europe.

Some think brazilian portuguese is the only kind of portuguese language. It's little more than a different accent spawned by our language though. And also ironic because Brazil was a portuguese colony.

Those who do know that Portugal exists (a feat by itself), think we all must like fado and porto wine because that's what most people know about the country, if anything.

Portugal is also, sometimes, portrayed like any generic country of latin origins. I seen this amorphous stereotype of loud, poor, dirty and tanned peoples be used for us, spanish, italians, mexicans, etc.

LegendLost
22-10-09, 15:07
A lot of people think that those from New Jersey are all like The Sopranos. That, and we are all bad drivers.(this might not be that much of a misconception, however, we are not bad drivers, just impatient ones. lol)

I assure you, having lived in New Jersey my entire life, I do not sound nor act like any of the charterers in The Sopranos. I grew up in a very nice large town. Very typical suburb, neighbors walking dogs, kids playing in the front yards with sprinklers going, etc.

GameGlitcher77
22-10-09, 18:16
A lot of people think that those from New Jersey are all like The Sopranos. That, and we are all bad drivers.(this might not be that much of a misconception, however, we are not bad drivers, just impatient ones. lol)

I assure you, having lived in New Jersey my entire life, I do not sound nor act like any of the charterers in The Sopranos. I grew up in a very nice large town. Very typical suburb, neighbors walking dogs, kids playing in the front yards with sprinklers going, etc.

Really I never heard that stereotype and I lived in NJ for 17 years:D:p

Although NJ does have some bad and impatient drivers. I've seen some of them. :vlol:

tombraiderluka
22-10-09, 18:23
None that aren't true :whi:

Squibbly
22-10-09, 18:25
None that aren't true :whi:

So you DO live in a cave? Huh.

violentblossom
22-10-09, 18:30
So you DO live in a cave? Huh.

Yep, that's what I said.

Dina_Croft
22-10-09, 19:41
of course!!:D

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad56/Dina_Croft/lhug2.gif

drakl0r
03-11-09, 16:54
I'm from Sabah, east Malaysia (Malaysian part of Borneo) and

1. We don't live on trees and wear loincloths :vlol:
2. We're not full of pirates (after the Sipadan incident sadly everyone thinks so)
3. We're not part of Indonesia or Philippines (sadly some west Malaysian still thinks so..)

But somehow we got unique looks that we're always mistaken for people of other Southeast Asian nationality (Filipino, Thai, Vietnamese, etc..)

freeze10108
04-11-09, 06:06
In Idaho, we do NOT all farm potatoes. Even our neighboring states don't know this, sadly.

Chris.Talg0
04-11-09, 06:28
not all people from california like to go to the beach and surf.....

scoopy_loopy
04-11-09, 06:43
Australia does NOT have monster sharks feeding upon beachgoers each day. :rolleyes: :vlol: