PDA

View Full Version : Animation Start Menu - Poll

daventry
23-10-09, 13:19
IN MY OPINION

Many of us Hate/Like the Start Menu with Lara standing and doing these weird things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgloMc70yS4

So Crystal gave us a Futuristic GPS kind of Ring Menu for TRU witch I dont like at all.
http://************/r/241utxj/4]View My Video

Poll Time, witch do you prefer

01. Now Most of us want the Classic Ring Menu with a Lara that does Nothing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK_2UoTZBa4&feature=related

02. Others prefer a Ring Fly By Menu with a Demo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvQVBnWMj6o

03. How about a Ring Menu with a Moving Animation, like Half Life 2 but WITHOUT Lara.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWnD7MQDx0M
Heres a Screen i made if that Horse should Move.
http://i35.************/5n9a2f.jpg

04. New Menu, with a Screen if you can ;)

By Sir Croft
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/sircroft/tr9_menu.jpg

By Zebra
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk72/Uncharted-Online/berschreibbare_datei-4.jpg

By Phlip
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/Phlip_03/menusmall.jpg

By Tonyrobinson
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9/robinsontony/Untitled-32.jpg

Sgt BOMBULOUS
23-10-09, 13:54
Was anyone really that bothered by the menu in TRA? I like a linear menu better than the ring, not that it really matters. If you're using directional keys they have to be cycled in order anyway, so in terms of efficiency there's little difference. But you can however click on the items in a linear menu directly with a mouse, which would be better for longer lists.

As far as what she's doing during the menu... It's not like I go grab some popcorn, dim the lights and watch the menu for 2 hours. I'm never there long enough for it to make much of a difference. :D

daventry
23-10-09, 13:59
:vlol: :vlol: No need for a Sexy Movie, we got one in 3 Games, just look at em Jiggle.:vlol: :vlol:

trXD
23-10-09, 14:08
I like the TRA and TRL ones actually, thanks for pretending that opinion doesn't exist though.

Chocola teapot
23-10-09, 14:36
Ring menu Please, Love it personally. :wve: (thats probly the only time I Have ever used that smiley)

Braider
23-10-09, 14:40
I like the TRA and TRL ones actually, thanks for pretending that opinion doesn't exist though.

I agree the TRA and TRL menu's were great!! I think a lot of TR fans would agree.

I also like the ring menu's of the earlier games.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
23-10-09, 14:46
One thing that would also be nice wound be to assign a number to the different menu options, that we all you have to do it hit a number key and the option is automatically cued, very fast & efficient :D

Lara's home
23-10-09, 15:08
I liked them all. TR:A/TR:L's are perhaps my favorite.

Dennis's Mom
23-10-09, 15:19
I don't mind any menu provided it's easy to navigate. I think the only TR menu I've actively disliked is TR4's, when the item ring seemed to go on forever and woe to you if you went the wrong way.

I agree some of the animations from the TRL and TRA menus could be termed suggestive, but frankly I think she could have been polishing her boots or reading a book and people would have called it provocative.

john_york
23-10-09, 15:20
Couldn't care less - I'd rather they concentrated on making a good game.

Phlip
23-10-09, 15:38
The legend and Anniversary one was perfect. But anything other than the Underworld one. :( Why would they try and fix it if it's not broken? It was perfect. :confused:

daventry
23-10-09, 15:42
I agree some of the animations from the TRL and TRA menus could be termed suggestive, but frankly I think she could have been polishing her boots or reading a book and people would have called it provocative.I was also thinking of what if Lara shoots her Bow or swing her Machete. :pThe legend and Anniversary one was perfect. But anything other than the Underworld one. Why would they try and fix it if it's not broken? It was perfect.Question should be, why Fix the Classics when they werent broken the way the Trilogy went on about Mommy and Short Levels, but i dont want to go Off Topic here. ;)

Spong
23-10-09, 15:48
I say bring back the ring menus of the classics, they were perfect :tmb:

Phlip
23-10-09, 15:49
The original menu was broken. ;) I like the simple TR4/5/L/A style.

Spong
23-10-09, 15:52
The original menu was broken.

At least back that up with a "why".

miss.haggard
23-10-09, 15:58
The only thing I dont want is a menu like TRU. It was pointless, made no sense, and was hard to navigate. Not to mention once you got going in the game you didnt have the option to go back to the main menu which really bothered me.

TRU Main Menu = suck

Phlip
23-10-09, 16:00
At least back that up with a "why".

I just didn't like the cheap icons which displayed the different things you could pick. Infact the TR4/5 menu is definitely my favourite. I love the flyby's.

larafan25
23-10-09, 16:01
I don't care that much, however I would choose a menu8e with a demo showing of the environments:)

Spong
23-10-09, 16:02
I just didn't like the cheap icons which displayed the different things you could pick. Infact the TR4/5 menu is definitely my favourite. I love the flyby's.

My apologies, I misread the OP and thought this thread was about the in-game menu. It wasn't until you mentioned the flybys that I checked and realised my mistake :o

And in that respect, I agree that the flybys are a brilliant addition. But have the ring menu on top instead of boring "up & down" options.

Phlip
23-10-09, 16:02
^Then it sounds like you'd like the TR4 and 5 one, larafan25. :)
Spong, no. I love the simplicity of it all.

larafan25
23-10-09, 16:06
^yes the TR4-5 one was good.

I would like to come across lara in the environment though.

Phlip
23-10-09, 16:08
^And that does happen in the TR4/5 menu. There are little cutscenes ever now and again.

larafan25
23-10-09, 16:09
^it's like that on most games, when you leave the menu screen for a while it will show you a video of demo gameplay, underworld didn't do that though it showed the trailer....

tranniversary119
23-10-09, 16:16
Why does it always have to be the older one? I'm sure they can make a better menu than the classic one. I say new menu :)

daventry
23-10-09, 16:18
Well create one, just like i said on my First Post and see how much better yours look. ;)

Phlip
23-10-09, 16:19
^it's like that on most games, when you leave the menu screen for a while it will show you a video of demo gameplay, underworld didn't do that though it showed the trailer....

No this is different. They're cutscenes of Lara doing random things like fighting a mummy, reaching an artefact or crossing a bridge.

cardmonster
23-10-09, 17:29
Couldn't care less - I'd rather they concentrated on making a good game.
This, obviously.

ccroft2003
23-10-09, 17:30
I didn't really like the latest CD menus on TRL, TRA and TRU. I would LOVE to have a more modern version of the ring menu back.
It would really make it feel like Tomb Raider again, we need more of the nostalgia back!

An example would be Resident Evil not having the "Press Start" option followed by the deep scary voice saying "RESIDENT EVIL" anymore! :0

Zebra
23-10-09, 17:38
I didn't mind the one in TRL/TRA. But I really didn't like the one in Underworld. The background was cool. But the menu itself wasn't.

xXhayleyroxXx
23-10-09, 17:41
i liked the menu's from legend and anniversary - where Lara herself in animated

daventry
23-10-09, 18:35
Something like this Screen, but without Lara Jiggeling her Boobs.

http://i34.************/169ol1d.jpg

Trfansince1996
23-10-09, 19:01
I dont mind the TRL TRA or classic ones. But TRU's was horrible.

Super Badnik
23-10-09, 19:04
Well, a step up from the braid/ponytail debate i guess. :ton:

RAID
23-10-09, 19:23
Option 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvQVBnWMj6o

Tear
23-10-09, 19:28
TRL's and TRA's were great. Underworld's was just ugly. I loved the manor in the back with the rain, but the actual menu was a mess.

Super Badnik
23-10-09, 19:34
Option 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvQVBnWMj6oTo be honest i didn't like it. But i suppose if the menu items and the background were the same standard of graphics, and the background wasn't just a video but actually a 3D model that the camera was moving through then it would look much better.

tomblover
23-10-09, 19:35
To combine all three types we've had, kind of: I'd like items lying around on the ground/beach with the camera shifting between them as you press left or right. Just use your imagination for the items. A passport could be the game menu, the backpack could be options, a bow, weapon and medkit could be player tailoring, (If they decide to keep it.) an artifact could symbolize extras, and an old polaroid of the mansion could be the Croft Manor. As the camera shifts between the items, we could see Lara running about, or even go to open her backpack, pick up her bow, or whatever you might like. There, we kinda have the ring menu, interactive Lara and background, and flying camera.

SLAYER
23-10-09, 19:36
i'd rather somthing like tr4/5

Sandrew
23-10-09, 19:37
AH! Ring Menu!! <3

daventry
23-10-09, 19:43
Option 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvQVBnWMj6oFinally someone gets the Option i want them to Choose, choose your Option People and tell your tale. Psst, its called a Poll. :pTo combine all three types we've had, kind of: I'd like items lying around on the ground/beach with the camera shifting between them as you press left or right. Just use your imagination for the items. A passport could be the game menu, the backpack could be options, a bow, weapon and medkit could be player tailoring, (If they decide to keep it.) an artifact could symbolize extras, and an old polaroid of the mansion could be the Croft Manor. As the camera shifts between the items, we could see Lara running about, or even go to open her backpack, pick up her bow, or whatever you might like. There, we kinda have the ring menu, interactive Lara and background, and flying camera.Would so love to see that in a Screen, or do you want me to make it. :rolleyes:

larson n natla
23-10-09, 19:47
Classic one please, passport and all :D

larafan25
23-10-09, 20:24
does anyone care to explain the pain they experience when seeing the underworld main menu?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

I mean it is a ring menu like the original, only with better symbols and more modern.

Rai
23-10-09, 20:27
^ I can't remember what that one looks like to be honest.

larafan25
23-10-09, 20:40
^it's just blue with randome circles in places to select options and crap.

the only menu I didn't like in underworld was the FACT that they used the PDA as an inventory.I want to go into my packpack to get my guns and objects not a virtual gadjet thingy:)

tomblover
23-10-09, 20:47
Would so love to see that in a Screen, or do you want me to make it. :rolleyes: I am crap at manipping so yeah, have a go if you like. :)

Peanut
23-10-09, 20:51
I like the second one better, I like the fact that Lara animates, but I hate the fact that alot of games these days have Boob physics! :(

danny.rex
23-10-09, 20:58
The TR1-TR3 ring menu, while it's classic, it's the lest practical and outdated. IMO it works for the inventory, but not for the start menu. I can't vote in the poll cause all options are that ring...

and a still picture for the menu would look even more outdated. Most of us would like that? are you sure? or it's just you?

Linear menu is easier to navigate, I liked both on TR4-TR5 with the flyby camera, and the ones in TRL/TRA, with an animated Lara and your current location in the game, awesome

I also liked the one in TRU with the ring menu, I though it was a way to bring back a "ring" inventory but in a different more unique way, dunno, just my opinion

Emmo
23-10-09, 21:11
I think it should be NEW first of all. And then it shouldn't be simple like TR7 or TRA. And it should be very detailed, fluent and good optimized for all different platforms.

trin_303
23-10-09, 21:25
I'm up for the first and/or second version, they're both great :)

TRLara Croft
23-10-09, 21:42
Personaly I liked the menu in TRA. I thought it worked and it helped pull the game into the 21st century. Yeah, the old menu style was fine and all but I liked the change.I agree with Emmo. It should be something completely different, if possible. And having more detail wouldn't be a bad thing.

larafan25
23-10-09, 21:50
you know what...

now that I read the above posts....

I would like an anniversary style menue with lara standing there doing stuff(maybe like that lara animation from the anniversary official website) and have stuff move in the background, maybe birds fly by or animals attack lara and she has to fight them...it would be interesting to see:)

almost like desktop lara:)

Brikas94
23-10-09, 21:55
I don't have any special preferences, but I always found TRA's menu a nice addition to the game. I wouldn't mind if they did something else, though. It's not that important, imo.:)

Sgt BOMBULOUS
23-10-09, 21:58
I think it should be NEW first of all. And then it shouldn't be simple like TR7 or TRA. And it should be very detailed, fluent and good optimized for all different platforms.

So then... It should be like TRA's.

DgoOdz94
23-10-09, 22:01
TRL and TRA were my favorite :D. They were easy to handle and liked how the background changed with the levels. I want lara to be in the main menu but i don't mind if she's moving or not. :ton:

Ring menus they're somewhat easier than others but if you get too many items like in TR4 the ring seems endless... :mad:

tranniversary119
23-10-09, 22:09
How about...
We can take Lara off the screen, and focus on the environment? I think that's a better idea IMO.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
23-10-09, 22:19
TRL and TRA were my favorite :D. They were easy to handle and liked how the background changed whit the levels. I want lara to be in the main menu but i don't mind if she's moving or not. :ton:

Ring manus they're somewhat easier than others but if you get too many items like in TR4 the ring seems endless... :mad:

Yeah even in TR2 the Ring is maddeningly long... You shouldn't have to use google maps to find the shortest route to your next weapon. :pi:

Emmo
23-10-09, 22:51
So then... It should be like TRA's.

I don't think TRA (only talking about main menu not ring) or TR7 menus are very detailed. They have very simple fonts, colors. Only background has Lara's animations and that's it. And where are the artistic effects? Have you ever seen the new Batman game? Did you notice all menu system? I'm talking about this. They can create such effects. That's only one example of course.

And "Simple" doesn't mean TRA or TR7 menus are disaster. They're very very fluent. But this is not enough alone.

Spong
23-10-09, 23:38
does anyone care to explain the pain they experience when seeing the underworld main menu?????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????

In simple terms? It's crap.
On the console version it's fiddly as hell because you have to move the analogue stick in the right direction and hold it. The number of times I've had to make minor adjustments because I'm pointing the analogue slightly the wrong way is infuriating.
It's fine on the PC though because you can just point & click.

And having to click through all the autosaves to get to the one at the end is annoying.

jeffrey van oort
23-10-09, 23:45
I liked the ring in the classic TombRaider. :) I was always sad that they hadn't implemented it in TRA.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
23-10-09, 23:45
I don't think TRA (only talking about main menu not ring) or TR7 menus are very detailed. They have very simple fonts, colors. Only background has Lara's animations and that's it. And where are the artistic effects? Have you ever seen the new Batman game? Did you notice all menu system? I'm talking about this. They can create such effects. That's only one example of course.

And "Simple" doesn't mean TRA or TR7 menus are disaster. They're very very fluent. But this is not enough alone.

Why isn't it enough? The classics became classics without the help of fancy menus or visual effects. It only needs to work, work well and efficiently. Everything else is frivolous.

Sir Croft
24-10-09, 00:56
None of those. I'd be happy with something like this:

Animated scenario background, no Lara, just the logo and that's it.

jwlmp
24-10-09, 01:12
I would rather have it like the one Above as well

daventry
24-10-09, 06:15

Animated scenario background, no Lara, just the logo and that's it.Finally someone picked Option 4 on my First Post, Create your Own Menu Screen and show it. ;)

Shockingly, im loving this Menu Screen already and it would've fooled us to thinking if TRU were gonna look like that In-Game. :cln:

If only it was a Ring Menu. :rolleyes:

TombRaiderFan.
24-10-09, 06:31

This :D

Although I wouldn't mind seeing Lara fooling around in the environments.

daventry
24-10-09, 07:32
I wonder if there could be an Option that before you get to the Main Menu, you Choose witch ones you want.
Classic
or
New

I also know that you can Mod your Own Menu Screen and Loading Screens in Oblivion.

veloce
24-10-09, 07:36
I liked underworlds, so I'll have another one like that. The ring and the one in legend or anniversary looked really dated.

Phlip
24-10-09, 11:17

I mean it is a ring menu like the original, only with better symbols and more modern.

Because I hate having to accurately point the analogue stick in the desired direction. And it's not 3D so it's not like the classic ones.

DgoOdz94
24-10-09, 13:45
Yeah even in TR2 the Ring is maddeningly long... You shouldn't have to use google maps to find the shortest route to your next weapon. :pi:

:vlol::vlol: LOL but it's true! And I'll say it again: TRL &TRA are like so easy and fluent just press a button (or click) and you see all this options. TRu's was :cen: Looks like the main menu was the last thing CD did and they rushed with it. :(

cardmonster
24-10-09, 14:35

That's a great concept. :tmb: Despite my apathy about what the menu looks like, I really didn't like Underworld's that much because it was quite ugly and altogether unintuitive. This looks much neater, reminding me of (dare I say it) Uncharted's.

Sir Croft
24-10-09, 15:11
For the record, I've never seen Uncharted's menu so I totally made that up :p

Dustie
24-10-09, 15:44
I would love the menu to have a simple design (visually, that is), but not looking too modern, like it does in the three new games. I like the idea with the splash screens, especially if it's made to underline Lara as the hero of the story and shows her in an almost iconic manner (like in TRU, a streightfoward portrait - minus chopping her head off ofcourse!).

daventry
24-10-09, 17:28
For the record, I've never seen Uncharted's menu so I totally made that upDont worry, neither have i and i still Love it. :p

jajay119
24-10-09, 17:54
Did anyone actually hate the menu screen in any of the games? I prefer the menu ring like in TRU to the linear writing options in TRA/TRL but ultimately I don't care, its just a menu screen i don't spend enough time on it to notice, there are more important things to worry about surely!

egypt_gypsie
24-10-09, 23:28
I liked the menus from TR 1,2,3 with the ring menu, and if you waited for too long, it would go to a demo/scene thing.

seashell093
25-10-09, 00:02

this is a very nice idea and representation :)

Zebra
25-10-09, 00:29
This is what I'd want as a menu:

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk72/Uncharted-Online/berschreibbare_datei-4.jpg (http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk72/Uncharted-Online/TRO-MenuConcept.jpg)
(Click for big version.)

On the left side a simple but functional menu bar (with information about the subitems popping up as you scroll over them) and on the right side tracking shots of the environment you last saved in.

ChingKong
25-10-09, 02:44
id love the start menu to be a flyby if an area like in TRC where there is action. ie VCI lara was doing something and there were people around the church...(stuff like that)

Mikky
25-10-09, 16:42
Where's the poll? As much as I loved the menu in TRL and A, I 'm not really bothered anymore.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk72/Uncharted-Online/berschreibbare_datei-4.jpg (http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk72/Uncharted-Online/TRO-MenuConcept.jpg)
(Click for big version.)

On the left side a simple but functional menu bar (with information about the subitems popping up as you scroll over them) and on the right side tracking shots of the environment you last saved in.

Kinda ruined with the the difficulty level... :(

Zebra
25-10-09, 17:42
Kinda ruined with the the difficulty level... :(

Haha :D. I just thought it fit TRO as she isn't a real tomb raider at the beginning of the game.

_Tomb_Raider
25-10-09, 17:53
Ring is for me the most beutifull one...

TRhalloween
25-10-09, 17:54

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk72/Uncharted-Online/berschreibbare_datei-4.jpg[/ig] (http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk72/Uncharted-Online/TRO-MenuConcept.jpg)
([i]Click for big version.)

Pretty cool :tmb:

moodydog
26-10-09, 19:38
this is one i made (i took some ideas from the ps3 menu :))

http://i33.************/33vizyv.jpg

[mode note]Please avoid posting very large images AS IS. Either resize/post thumbnails, or post as links.[/mod note]

robm_2007
26-10-09, 20:05
i like TRL/TRA menu. i dint like TRUs, though. id like a list menu best.

KIKO
26-10-09, 20:37
While the green lush background is attactive and sexy I prefer Zebra's suggestion which is dark and somewhat.. modern.

lara c. fan
27-10-09, 17:44
did you make that Underworld mock with the forest??
If so, you should be on whichever team deals with the menus :D

MisterCroft
28-10-09, 19:12
I am not too fussy about the menu setup, but the ring menu was more unique to TR, so i would choose that.

LostLegend
28-10-09, 21:59
I like how they did the FMV in the main menu of TR5. The others (TR1-3?) are static and boring. 7-anniv. aren't very animated and are also a bit boring but are nice in showing where you got to. Underworld lags a bit when choosing between each item on the menu.

michaeldt
29-10-09, 00:22
maybe the camera could be looking at one part of the Island and occasionally you could see a monster hunting something, like you see the forrest then hear a monster roaring and maybe some mice running away from the direction of the roar? then maybe the Monster could show up on the screen and it would show lara killing it? I think stuff like this would be awesome to put at the main menu :)

TRGamer8
14-11-09, 13:38

(Click for big version.)

Wow, they are beautiful :D

Aranara
14-11-09, 19:56
I would preffer Legend or Anniversary menu.
If not option number 4, the New Menu.
It gives it a really good luck. But if they decide to do this then they NEED to put reaaaally good music in there. Like the theme (the original one).

RAID
14-11-09, 20:24

(Click for big version.)

I love the dark atmosphere. Just imagine a fly by camera and a very dark theme song...

January_Snow*
14-11-09, 21:10
This

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk72/Uncharted-Online/berschreibbare_datei-4.jpg

+ fly buy through the forest

+ something like this

vymLFuQ045Q

= Perfect :D

Phlip
14-11-09, 22:26
Something like this would be my ideal:

Larger (http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/Phlip_03/menu.jpg).

It would fly through tombs, tunnels and temples which you don't explore in any levels. It would then go into demo mode and show Lara doing something, just like TR4 and 5. :)

larafan25
14-11-09, 22:30

(Click for big version.)

I'd love this:)

tranniversary119
14-11-09, 22:48
^Same here, it looks nice and creepy!

ViNi__
14-11-09, 23:21
I would prefer a ring menu or a TR4/TR5 style menu...
TRL and TRA are weird :(

Lara: Look how I shake my silicone breasts! *shakes 'em*

Ok, I've stopped again :pi:

vixster
14-11-09, 23:28
i think anyone who spends this much time wondering what the start up menu will look like is a bloody moron.

everyone is always saying the content is what matters, and now your debating what the menu will be like

let CD do what the like, they should be able to be as creative as they want, let them do their own menu and get on with it

if you get more passionate about the backing picture instead of the game, theres something seriously wrong with you

theres nothing wrong with interest in details, like the outfit or the guns or the level locations,but this is riddiculous. leave CD alone, let them get on with it, stop nagging about everything

EVEDRYTHING

Phlip
14-11-09, 23:37
What on Earth makes you think we care more about the menu than the game? Just because we care about something doesn't mean we don't care about everything else.
Strange that you would make such a conclusion.

tombraiderluka
15-11-09, 00:05

(Click for big version.)

I love this a lot, especially cause of the statistics. Saved it :tmb:

vixster
15-11-09, 00:32
What on Earth makes you think we care more about the menu than the game? Just because we care about something doesn't mean we don't care about everything else.
Strange that you would make such a conclusion.

this coming from you, you seem to go on any thread that doesnt praise cores game and just have a *****. your entitled to your opinion, but you shouldnt force it on everyone constantly

look at my 'posotive comments for cd' - you didnt have to write anything, you could have just left it, but you deliberately trolled.

what do you want to achieve from being so negative and arrogant, its not helping anything. "To me, they where lifeless, dull, colourless, unatmospheric and insultingly simple" - its hardly pososive,

Phlip
15-11-09, 00:35
Irrelivant, that is. That has nothing to do with what I asked.

miss.haggard
15-11-09, 00:50
I come back and all I see is DRAMA!

Not surprising...

On topic - I may make up a menu of my own here eventually...

toughraid3r37
15-11-09, 06:50
I think the TRU one was the best :). I like the animated background.. its like a main menu for a dvd movie :D.

Tommy123
15-11-09, 20:14
yeah just something simple like underworld

Lara_Fan_33
16-11-09, 02:49
While it doesnt realy matter for me, i would have to choose the Tomb Raider 4 and 5 menus because of the simplicity and flybys. i find it funny how no one has mentioned the AOD menu yet, because i actually liked that one. :p

miss.haggard
16-11-09, 05:06
yeah just something simple like underworld

Simple? Do you forget the fact that you couldnt go back to the main menu without turning your console off? TRU was by-far the worst menu I have ever seen, any game, any genre, period. The save/load system didnt help either...

Aranara
16-11-09, 07:51
I didn't like the TRU menu. It was too complicated with all those icons!
(Really.)
The AoD one was nice but it was just for AoD (the darky look), for the new game..well...I don't really know, because we don't know if the game is darky or not...
If you can't understand the term: AoD- Darky
Legend- NOT!

shadow_fire
16-11-09, 08:22
To combine all three types we've had, kind of: I'd like items lying around on the ground/beach with the camera shifting between them as you press left or right. Just use your imagination for the items. A passport could be the game menu, the backpack could be options, a bow, weapon and medkit could be player tailoring, (If they decide to keep it.) an artifact could symbolize extras, and an old polaroid of the mansion could be the Croft Manor. As the camera shifts between the items, we could see Lara running about, or even go to open her backpack, pick up her bow, or whatever you might like. There, we kinda have the ring menu, interactive Lara and background, and flying camera.

I really like this idea.

Personally I found that the Underworld menu was just so hard to navigate (to just get to where you wnated to go)
I like how in Legend they showed different backgrounds corrosponding with the level that you were upto....something that changes.
It would be kwel to have an animated Lara, like if you do end up waiting like you go away to get a drink or something and you come back and catch her doing something really weird and when you move the controls she stopps as if you caught her in the middle of something or what ever...just an idea lol
To that person who thought that it was stupid to be dicussing this, well I think its stupid to knock this thread. I think that this is worth discussing, because the main menu is kind of like the first impression. However I would prefer for them to make the game the best it can be, before they start working on making the menu super dope. I take crappy menu over crappy game anyday :p

ccroft2003
31-01-10, 11:05
I think anything will be better than the awful TRU menu. You couldn't even get to the right option you wanted! It looked nice but that was it.

The equipment menu was even worse! Horrible in every way possible!

LightningRider
31-01-10, 11:11
I want it simple. A menu bar at the side, and your current location at the right, end of. :)

Tonyrobinson
31-01-10, 13:34
Bring back the classic menu with a twist of new. I'd have the moving Lara with a flaming torch in hand on an island backdrop with the ring menu. I'm about to go for dinner but I'll work up a quick photoshop after :)

EDIT:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c9/robinsontony/Untitled-32.jpg

It was quickly made, but you get the idea :)

T-Sex
31-01-10, 14:22
I like the original ring menu from TR1 - TR3, where the games title and a render was shown in the background.

chriss99
31-01-10, 14:25
I would like to see the classic menu with the passport. I think it was the best, although I do think TRU menu is pretty nice.

jfjeep26
01-02-10, 02:09
I'd like the animated Lara from legend/anni, or the animated menu of sorts 4-6 using the ring menu from 1-3 &8

not hat I really care about it as much as the main game

Phlip
01-02-10, 02:21
Oh I noticed you put my menu picture on the first post, thanks Daventry. :hug:

gabrielorie
01-02-10, 02:34
i think the underworld one was really nice:tmb:.

tranniversary119
01-02-10, 02:38
I'm not bothered by the menu, I'll be looking at the thing for about 2 seconds to a minute every time I play the game.

navinloveslara
01-02-10, 07:33
I would certainly like to see a menu like in Half-Life 2, with the background changing as your progressed through the game. The HL2 one really blew me away. It was amazing.

scremanie
01-02-10, 07:46
LMFAO AT THE HORSE!!!!! BAHAHA!!

I'm sorry... but yes, I agree... I hate the menu they have in Legend/Anni. Thank god they removed it in Underworld.

dinoslayer
01-02-10, 08:01
i like the ring menu because it has the feeling of the things actually being in lara's bag instead of just it magically appearing :whi:

smr
01-02-10, 08:16
OMG some people are... I mean For GOD'S shake! The menu? the menu? Come on. Is that the only thing left to chat about? then what? Lara's bra and socks?

The menu is just a menu. it is there for like a minute. I never liked the old menu with the book. it felt like it was a fairytale.

Love2Raid
08-02-10, 14:50
TRA was perfect. Underworld was a bit too 'cold' for Tomb Raider, if you understand what I mean.

I bet people were complaining about TRA's menu. :rolleyes:

jajay119
08-02-10, 14:53
TRA was perfect. Underworld was a bit too 'cold' for Tomb Raider, if you understand what I mean.

I bet people were complaining about TRA's menu. :rolleyes:

I dunno I liked TRU's menu, it felt like a modern day ring menu, TRA and TRL were a bit bland for me to be honest even with the animated Lara.

Underhoe
08-02-10, 14:56
OMG some people are... I mean For GOD'S shake! The menu? the menu? Come on. Is that the only thing left to chat about? then what? Lara's bra and socks?
*transforms into juicybubble*I hope she will wear a pink bra.:)
:pi:Anyway, I agree with you about the Underworld menu, Love2Raid. :) But I want something new in the next game.:D

Phlip
08-02-10, 14:59
I dunno I liked TRU's menu, it felt like a modern day ring menu, TRA and TRL were a bit bland for me to be honest even with the animated Lara.

A 2D ring menu is more modern than a 3D one?

jajay119
08-02-10, 15:04
A 2D ring menu is more modern than a 3D one?

I meant the way it was designed, and yes anyway it is, what game used a 3D menu anymore 2D and 3D design have nothing to do with modernness and haven't since the early 90's.

Phlip
08-02-10, 15:07
Having to aim the analogue stick at the option on the Underworld menu wasn't user friendly.

jajay119
08-02-10, 15:08
I think we have all been using the analogue for long enough now to know how they work. This whole 'not user friendly' issue is just an excuse to be lazy imo. Rotating the analogue is just as easy as pressing up or down.

tranniversary119
08-02-10, 15:10
@Phillip: I couldn't stand the Underworld Menu, especially for that reason! For me, a simple menu design would be fine,
New Game
Load Game
Multiplayer (if there even is)
Extras
Options
But of course, not just a plain black background with white text. It could be like in Legend, where it shows the environment in the background depending on what level your on. Except, the camera shouldn't focus on Lara just standing there. IE: Move around the level, instead of just sitting there.

Phlip
08-02-10, 15:22
This whole 'not user friendly' issue is just an excuse to be lazy imo. Rotating the analogue is just as easy as pressing up or down.
No it's not. It really isn't all that easy to use.
@Phillip: I couldn't stand the Underworld Menu, especially for that reason! For me, a simple menu design would be fine,

But of course, not just a plain black background with white text. It could be like in Legend, where it shows the environment in the background depending on what level your on. Except, the camera shouldn't focus on Lara just standing there. IE: Move around the level, instead of just sitting there.

I would love this (http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/Phlip_03/menu.jpg?t=1265642514). TR4/5 style.

tranniversary119
08-02-10, 15:23
I would love this (http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/Phlip_03/menu.jpg?t=1265642514). TR4/5 style.

Exactly what I'm talking about :tmb: love it!

NightsGoneSour
21-04-10, 09:38
Ring menu Please, Love it personally. :wve: (thats probly the only time I Have ever used that smiley)

I prefer the classic ring menu too. And the ring inventory.

Mikky
21-04-10, 13:36
I kinda hate all the pics shown, and I love all the menus in the actual games! :tmb:

Btw, how is this a poll? :confused:

NightsGoneSour
22-04-10, 21:18
Hmm actually I would like a TR4/5 menu combined with TR1/2/3 menu basically:
You have the items in a ring but instead of it being a wallpaper your panning the envoriment or you could have like a live envoriment with Lara in the background like TRL and A. Cause if you were on a certain level like e.g Greece then the background Lara is in would be Greece. Something like that...

krycek24
23-04-10, 06:53
TRL and TRA start menu they were easy to read and navigate. The ring menu should only be used for the inventory not the start screen. :)

aktrekker
23-04-10, 07:40
I agree :tmb:

almayah
24-04-10, 21:00
Only the classic menu :wve:

Mr. Giraffe
24-04-10, 21:12
I perfer a very simple menu, no bold pictures, or lettering. No Lara. Maybe something to do with the game but make it very subtle. It should be the calm before the storm.

Vanity
25-04-10, 11:56
Well, I prefer the TRL/TRA start menu, but I'm not averse to the classical ring menu. Each menu brings something unique and a beneficial use.
But, as krycek24 said before, I would rather use the ring menu as inventory. Otherwise I don't worry about this issue.

Out of boredom I created a fictitious menu. For the benefit of my bad editing skills, it didn't become perfect and a few small errors are also in it. :pi:
http://i41.************/2qixx5x.jpg

TippingWater
25-04-10, 11:58
Where's the poll ? :confused:

Peanut
09-11-10, 18:23
By Phlip
[/U][/B]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/Phlip_03/menusmall.jpg

This. :tmb:
Honestly, I don't mind. The menu is there for a couple of minutes. I liked TRU's menu because it was creative. What I didn't like was the fact that there were no Cinematics and we couldn't Replay levels.
Again, It doesn't really matter what the menu looks like. What's in it matters to me. ^_^

EDIT: Crap! Sorry I bumped, I thought it's okay because the other thread was made after this one. :p

TRJTA
09-11-10, 18:29
Don't care much, but the ring menu is just... 1996.. It's so old, and isn't capable of much, I would personally love a linear menu, with of course a beautiful layout. The ring menu looks so dated, and it is.

robm_2007
09-11-10, 18:37
Don't care much, but the ring menu is just... 1996.. It's so old, and isn't capable of much, I would personally love a linear menu, with of course a beautiful layout. The ring menu looks so dated, and it is.

I would think that the List Menu is much more dated, as it has been around since the days of VG were first created.

The ring menu, is more creative than a simple list, and isnt really seen in many games. ive only noticed it in TR.

Peanut
09-11-10, 20:58
What about an interactive menu?

(Using TRO as an example) The menu would start in the middle of a forest pressing start would take you to a small campsite/shelter where you can see a journal. The Journal would be the Start/Save/Load? the extras menu would take us to a pond or swap where we can see concept art/cinematics/trailers etc..

Good idea? or waste of time?

tomblover
09-11-10, 21:04

I made some half-sloppy pics to show this concept to you. xD

Walking away from the backpack (options)

http://imgur.com/ppFqK.png

Approaching the journal (game)

http://imgur.com/V0rjU.png

Journal (game) menu

http://imgur.com/xhj8A.png

the blank page could be filled with backstory or sth, idk.

moodydog
09-11-10, 21:08
I made some half-sloppy pics to show this concept to you. xD

Walking away from the backpack (options)

http://imgur.com/ppFqK.png

Approaching the journal (game)

http://imgur.com/V0rjU.png

Journal (game) menu

http://imgur.com/xhj8A.png

the blank page could be filled with backstory or sth, idk.

I had this sort of Idea for a silent hill game I thought of... :D Except walking towards buildings :)

I like it

Blackmoor
09-11-10, 22:05
By Zebra

By Phlip
I like these two best - the pictures are nicest. Especially the dark woods one - gives me a bit of a shiver when I look at it. :)

Mr. Giraffe
09-11-10, 22:33
I dont like the idea of an interactive menu where Lara walks over to different objects. Players want to get into the game fast, so walking from point A to B to C to D just to play the game takes up time and is a waste. It does sound like a cool idea and very realistic, but its just not practical for people to do.

I don't like the ring menu with the given examples in the OP. I think it likes weird when the background image is moving and there is a ring menu.

Personally they should just keep it simple, I would even mind a picture without Lara in it. Maybe some movement of crows in the background, sound dark subtle music, a couple creepy noises, and so forth in a loop. I would perfer that because in all reality I dont spend much time in the menu and why would anyone? Even if they go to options and change the controls, audio, and picture its like your spending 10 minutes in the menu area.

Keep it simple CD, the menu is the first thing people see when playing a game so dont make it tacky. Just make it subtle. I did enjoy Half-Life 2 menu from the OP, though. Something with more of a TR feel would be perfect.

Vickkyyy
09-11-10, 22:34
Either Zebra or Philips way! :)
Very nicely done!

Phlip
10-11-10, 03:31
I'd also like the idea of an animated background from a scene from the opening cutscene, or something. Something like this:

http://i55.************/jrr380.jpg

moodydog
10-11-10, 13:46
no one liked mine? :(

jajay119
10-11-10, 14:00
I'' quote my suggestion from th eother thread, since I'd only be repeating myself here anyway;

You know what 'main menu' I think would be cool if the origin's story is true, and Lara does have a bow? Is to have a fully functional Lara and bow on the main menu. Imagine this.

The camera pans through a stormy forest, goes between 2 trees and we see Lara. As the camera approaches Lara starts to take out her bow and an arrow, the camera then moves behind her shoulder to sit like a Resident Evil 4/5 camera angle (you can also skip right to this point) and we see a couple of trees with paper stuck to them, or word carvings in them and you can aim at the different pieces of paper/ carvings (when you do the words such as 'new game, continue, options etc) appear over them. You shoot at the option you want to choose with your bow and the camera follows the arrow and the screen blurs, forming your next screen!

Dunno what you guys think. it may be too elaborate!