PDA

View Full Version : Somali woman stoned for adultery

tlr online
18-11-09, 14:42
Disgraceful.

A 20-year-old woman divorcee accused of committing adultery in Somalia has been stoned to death by Islamists in front of a crowd of about 200 people. A judge working for the militant group al-Shabab said she had had an affair with an unmarried 29-year-old man. He said she gave birth to a still-born baby and was found guilty of adultery. Her boyfriend was given 100 lashes.

It is thought to be the second time a woman has been stoned to death for adultery by al-Shabab. The group controls large swathes of southern Somalia where they have imposed a strict interpretation of Islamic law which has been unpopular with many Somalis.

According to reports from a small village near the town of Wajid, 250 miles (400km) north-west of the capital, Mogadishu, the woman was taken to the public grounds where she was buried up to her waist. She was then stoned to death in front of the crowds on Tuesday afternoon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8366197.stm

Chocola teapot
18-11-09, 14:44
:(:mad:

Utterly disgusting regrdless of any islamic rules, May the poor soul rest in peace.

violentblossom
18-11-09, 14:47
I'm not shocked, to be honest.

irjudd
18-11-09, 14:53
No, it isn't surprising. But it does make me feel sad inside. Although I can't pretend to understand the rationale behind the culture, so I'll avoid having a judgmental attitude for now.

Jack Croft
18-11-09, 14:55
Disgusting and inhumane.

Mad Tony
18-11-09, 15:02
Yeah, I heard about this. Absolutely terrible. Isn't this kind of sharia law similar to what is spreading through Pakistan and Afghanistan?

TRfan23
18-11-09, 15:02
This is what angers me, don't extremist Muslims or government officials realise by doing this, outsiders will look down upon Muslims, as a whole?

Yet Islam's supposed to be a peaceful faith? :( Sharia means Path/Way, this is not the way!

Yes adultery is wrong, but killing and torture makes it worse and contradicts the whole thing... I can't put it in words :(

Mad Tony
18-11-09, 15:04
This is what angers me, don't extremist Muslims or government officials realise by doing this, outsiders will look down upon Muslims?No because they're nuts. Somalia's president is a moderate Muslim I believe, but he has very little control over the country unfortunately.

ajrich17901
18-11-09, 15:08
Utterly disgusting I think the crowd of 200 should be stoned to death.

Draco
18-11-09, 15:20
Nothing we can do about it.

Tear
18-11-09, 15:33
Disgusting and inhumane.
Agreed.

Quasimodo
18-11-09, 15:37

Agreed.

So a disgusting and inhumane act should be punished with a disgusting and inhumane act?

irjudd
18-11-09, 15:38
So a disgusting and inhumane act should be punished with a disgusting and inhumane act?

It's ok if a significant part of the world thinks it's ok.

Encore
18-11-09, 15:39
It's ok if a significant part of the world thinks it's ok.

Haha :D Brilliant!

Tear
18-11-09, 15:48

Yes, because I really want those 200 hundred people to be stoned.:rolleyes:
Can you not tell when one is being serious or not?

We're saying that out of anger.

lara c. fan
18-11-09, 15:49
just shows what 200 people feel about it....:pi:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
18-11-09, 15:50
It's horrendous, but it isn't surprising at all.

TRhalloween
18-11-09, 15:52
Yes, because I really want those 200 hundred people to be stoned.:rolleyes:
Can you not tell when one is being serious or not?

We're saying that out of anger.

It doesn't show.

Mad Tony
18-11-09, 15:54
I'm honestly surprised no one has said "This world is getting worse and worse every day". Normally that pops up a lot in these sorts of threads, even though this kind of punishment was common in the middle ages.

TRfan23
18-11-09, 15:55
^ The worlds always been the same actually, just differentiates every decade also :) The world cannot get any worse or any better ;)

Draco
18-11-09, 15:56
The world as a whole is better now than it has ever been before. Granted there is still a ton of room for improvement.

maniakatosheto
18-11-09, 16:04
No wonder resident evil 5 was made to be in Africa!
but honestly.. that's just sick.

violentblossom
18-11-09, 16:05

Wha-?

Encore
18-11-09, 16:09

I'm just waiting to see what's your excuse for saying that. :pi:

irjudd
18-11-09, 16:11
Oh come on that guy is impossible to take seriously with his Pokemon location and the avatar he used to have with the crazy face.

gidierre
18-11-09, 16:11
well, they could use an Internet connection and browse the news:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john%207:53-8:11&version=KJV

remote91
18-11-09, 16:12
but honestly.. that's just sick.
Oh you really didn't just say that, did you?

peeves
18-11-09, 16:14
Where is Somalia anyway?

Sgt BOMBULOUS
18-11-09, 16:15
Where is Somalia anyway?

It's on the sun somewhere.

Mad Tony
18-11-09, 16:26
^ The worlds always been the same actually, just differentiates every decade also :) The world cannot get any worse or any better ;)I'm gonna have to agree with Draco here. The world is better than ever, but there is room for improvement.

It's on the sun somewhere.No it's not.

It's on the moon.

peeves
18-11-09, 16:31
It's on the sun somewhere.

I'm gonna have to agree with Draco here. The world is better than ever, but there is room for improvement.

No it's not.

It's on the moon.

Where in the middle east is Somalia?
EDIT it's on the east part of africa i looked it up. thx anyway

Hawke1000
18-11-09, 16:41
:(:mad:

Utterly disgusting regrdless of any islamic rules, May the poor soul rest in peace.

There are no Islamic rules that suggest this, being a muslim atleast I know that, whatever they have done, is extremism and is forbidden in Islam...

Dennis's Mom
18-11-09, 16:52
There are no Islamic rules that suggest this, being a muslim atleast I know that, whatever they have done, is extremism and is forbidden in Islam...

Is this not a part of "sharia", Islamic law? It was my understanding that this somehow coded into it, sort of like the 613 commandments of the Old Testament? Thank you for your answer.

irjudd
18-11-09, 16:58
Is this not a part of "sharia", Islamic law? It was my understanding that this somehow coded into it, sort of like the 613 commandments of the Old Testament? Thank you for your answer.
It was this part that made me think it wasn't part of "Sharia":Under al-Shabab's interpretation of Sharia law, anyone who has ever been married...
It makes it sound like this particular group made up this part of the law themselves.

Hawke1000
18-11-09, 17:01

Indeed, but it penalty applies for a "married" person only, if I'm not mistaken. Thanks

Sgt BOMBULOUS
18-11-09, 17:01
I wonder what penalty a male would get for adultery in the same community... :rolleyes:

Mad Tony
18-11-09, 17:17
I wonder what penalty a male would get for adultery in the same community... :rolleyes:The woman who he was having an affair with would get stoned to death.

Seriously.

I heard about how in Iran women who are victims of rape get punished for it.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
18-11-09, 17:25
The woman who he was having an affair with would get stoned to death.

Seriously.

I heard about how in Iran women who are victims of rape get punished for it.

Exactly my point... They'd probably throw a party for him.

irjudd
18-11-09, 17:26
Or you could read the story.

Earlier this month, a man was stoned to death for adultery in the port town of Merka, south of Mogadishu.

His pregnant girlfriend was spared, until she gives birth.

Legends
18-11-09, 17:28

That's the most awful thing of all.

I think the Judge should get his head cut off.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
18-11-09, 17:28
Or you could read the story.

I'm willing to bet the majority of the time in the mans case, they look the other way.

Encore
18-11-09, 17:29

The problem is interpreting literally obsolete books that were written thousands of years ago.

Mad Tony
18-11-09, 17:40
Or you could read the story.Wait, why is the woman going to get stoned too?

Catapharact
18-11-09, 17:43
Stupid stupid extremists... To hell with them! A clean death is way too easy a way out for them. I want THEM stoned... One by one.

There have been so many interpertations of the Sharia law that no one knows what's the truth anymore. Some take the texts straight out of the old testiment where as others just ramble on and pull something out of their butts to justify behaviour like... this.

Cochrane
18-11-09, 17:47
Wait, why is the woman going to get stoned too?
I'm assuming she's the one he committed adultery with, according to the prosecutors logic.

EscondeR
18-11-09, 18:08

Wha-?

I'm just waiting to see what's your excuse for saying that. :pi:

Oh come on that guy is impossible to take seriously with his Pokemon location and the avatar he used to have with the crazy face.

It would be nice if the discussion continues without any sort of cowpoo.

Ontopic: Despite any cultural distinctions and political correctness... disgusting and inhumane as it was said above. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

Catapharact
18-11-09, 18:10
There are just way too many extremist groups in Africa. Somalia is just a drop in a sea of ignorant jackasses that should be kicked and punched until they either get some sense in their heads or they die of their wounds.

We have the Islamic extremist group Al-Shabab in Somalia.

The Christian extremist group Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) in Sudan.

The tribal warfare in Mongadishu...

HELL! Its a mad house in there.

Encore
18-11-09, 18:13
There are just way too many extremist groups in Africa. Somalia is just a drop in a sea of ignorant jackasses that should be kicked and punched until they either get some sense in their heads of they die of their wounds.

If violence was the solution to any problem Africa would be the best place in the world right now.

It would be nice if the discussion continues without any sort of cowpoo.

And what the hell are you talking about? A member made a rather outrageous statement about Africa, as a conclusion to this news, and I thought it was worth asking for some explanations. Take your chill pill.

maniakatosheto
18-11-09, 18:20
EscondeR : I ment it as a joke ;.;

EscondeR
18-11-09, 18:21
@ Encore: If you haven't noticed :mis: I've quoted his post first and emphasized "all"...
It would be nice also if you hit "pause" key to read and think before posting.

Lemmie
18-11-09, 18:36
It's terrible that crimes like this are justified under any denomination of faith. :(

Rai
18-11-09, 18:48
That is just horrendous. That poor woman loses her baby which would have been devastating and then to be stoned to death. :(

Draco
18-11-09, 18:52
@ Encore: If you haven't noticed :mis: I've quoted his post first and emphasized "all"...
It would be nice also if you hit "pause" key to read and think before posting.

You should try to be absolutely clear when you are moderating people. Otherwise people might misunderstand what you are saying or take it the wrong way.

This is why simply knowing how to copy and paste big words from dictionary.com isn't enough to be a mod, in my opinion. Being able to communicate is critical.

violentblossom
18-11-09, 18:56
Holy Christ.

Excuse me, but is this not a topic for discussion??

Stop being such a Nazi. Oh looky, I've gone and made this thread more off topic.

Here, let me rectify the situation.

Blah, blah, blah, horrifying, blah, blah, Africa, blah, Somalia.

Johnnay
18-11-09, 18:57

What??????!!!!

back to topic.

this is why i hate Wahabi Muslims. from Extremeists to The Saudi Royal Family, They cant be real muslims when they focus on doing stuff like this recent lashing and stoning in Somalia and elsewhere when they have a presence:(

No Wonder Somalia is the most Corrupted Nation in the World as provided by Transparency International

Cheenie
18-11-09, 19:00
If they love and hail their God so much, why don't they let him take care of the criminal? Just asking because imo what they have done there is just horrible.

xXhayleyroxXx
18-11-09, 19:03
When the way they deal with a crime is worse than the crime itself, its stupid and wrong imo!
Regardless of who or why it happens - its wrong and nothing will change that

Poor women x

rowanlim
18-11-09, 19:04
Terrible story.

I think societies like these have not reach that level of awareness & empowerment to break free of what is clearly wrong & inhuman. Whatever the source of their rules, it's ingrained in their society.

Things are certainly better than before. I recall a landmark case in India (I can't seem to find the link :o), about a woman who pulled out of her engagement because her future in-laws attacked her father when he couldn't pay the wedding dowry. This (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/729158.stm) is another case of overcoming stigma/traditional belief.

Hopefully the Somalians can see the cruelty in their actions soon before other lives are taken this way.

voltz
18-11-09, 20:43
Islamic faith is something I don't get with some people. I know there's extremists out there, but our level of morality in this day and age allowed the rest of society to realize acts such as this is unacceptable.

Catapharact
18-11-09, 20:48
What??????!!!!

from Extremeists to The Saudi Royal Family

You do know that the Royals are the ones who overturned their courts, forced the idiotic sharia courts to throw out their lame decisions and force a fair trial on rape cases right?

You do know that the Royals are the ones forcing the extremists back and have launched a campaign in rooting out and bringing Al-Qaieda members in the region to justice? Well... They resist most of the time and well... *Bang bang* Off goes another extremist.

The Royals are the ones who are forcing the extremists down. If the royals weren't there, Saudi Arabia would become another hotzone for terrorist activities.

Cochrane
18-11-09, 20:49
Islamic faith is something I don't get with some people. I know there's extremists out there, but our level of morality in this day and age allowed the rest of society to realize acts such as this is unacceptable.

This has nothing to do with islam, and only peripherally with adultery. What it is, is a show of power. It's messages to the population: "Don't mess with us, we can and will be drastic, and you cannot expect any mercy". I'd be very surprised if the ones responsible really cared about the circumstances. Setting laws that are needlessly strict with highly exaggerated responses, usually public, is a typical sign of tyrannic regimes, which do that simply to show that they can.

matrix54
18-11-09, 20:50
they are both in the wrong. she shouldn't have been unfaithful, yet that really wasn't reason enough to kill her. but, that is the law, i don't agree with it, but its the law none-the-less.

trlestew
18-11-09, 20:51
We have no right to comment on it as it is THEIR laws to do something like this.

Catapharact
18-11-09, 20:52
We have no right to comment on it as it is THEIR laws to do something like this.

How about me being a Muslim telling them that this action does not relate to Islamic idea of Justice?

Its blatently wrong and immoral. They should be ashamed to even use the word Muslim to decribe their patheic selves.

Cochrane
18-11-09, 20:57
they are both in the wrong. she shouldn't have been unfaithful, yet that really wasn't reason enough to kill her. but, that is the law, i don't agree with it, but its the law none-the-less.
You know, it absolutely helps reading the article. She was divorced. The 'court' just decided to ignore that.

Their laws? As in the laws those people or their elected representatives choose freely for themselves, that they agreed to abide to, and that they can be certain of? We're talking about Somalia here. There are no laws, there are a couple of idiots with big guns interpreting a religious text in a way that makes it clear that they rule and nobody else.

But even if it were their laws, we'd still have the right to comment on and (hopefully) bash them for this. Basic human rights are something all UN member states have agreed on, and it's become part of customary international law. This violates just about all of them, and we not only have the right, but also the duty to be angry and (if possible) do something about it.

sandra croft
18-11-09, 21:00

Of course we have the right to comment if there something very wrong with the law or maybe you think itīs okey to stooned raped women too.

Dark Lugia 2
18-11-09, 21:00
@ Cat I wish more people knew that. Most people in the city I live in (Nottingham) will see this story and their already-lowered opinion of Islam will continue to sink. :/ You get used to it though, thats the sad thing.

voltz
18-11-09, 21:01

It's too bad their laws ain't in line with the rest of humanity. Of course everyone will comment regardless. (posting this thread for example)

rowanlim

IMO, extremists twist the religion & make it their own, yet claiming it to be the same. They don't really give a damn if what they did was unacceptable. Similar to terrorists, they don't care that innocent civilians under the same faith that they "claim" to defend are brutally killed in the attacks they planned.

I quoted this because it's inaccurate to say one doesn't get Islamic faith. This act (as pointed by others) has no base in Islam.

They're just hypocrites, pathetic yet destructive coz it's not easy to break their delusion.

Their laws? As in the laws those people or their elected representatives choose freely for themselves, that they agreed to abide to, and that they can be certain of? We're talking about Somalia here. There are no laws, there are a couple of idiots with big guns interpreting a religious text in a way that makes it clear that they rule and nobody else.

But even if it were their laws, we'd still have the right to comment on and (hopefully) bash them for this. Basic human rights are something all UN member states have agreed on, and it's become part of customary international law. This violates just about all of them, and we not only have the right, but also the duty to be angry and (if possible) do something about it.

This :tmb:

matrix54
You know, it absolutely helps reading the article. She was divorced. The 'court' just decided to ignore that.

I did read it... just not all of it :p

trlestew
18-11-09, 21:02
all I stated was my opinion. :rolleyes: I was not aware of all the factors involving the situation. No need to falsely acuse me and say I think its ok to stone people.

Cochrane
18-11-09, 21:04
all I stated was my opinion. :rolleyes: I was not aware of all the factors involving the situation. No need to falsely acuse me and say I think its ok to stone people.

You don't?

takamotosan
18-11-09, 21:05
How archaic :pi:

sandra croft
18-11-09, 21:06

The factors doesnīt mather, no one deserves to be stooned not even a murderer, itīs inhuman.

trlestew
18-11-09, 21:08
again just an opinion, but since this thread is all about judging people I'll leavethis one. ;)

voltz
18-11-09, 21:13
Cochrane hit the nail on the head with that one. A couple years back I was working at a plant that accepted several dozen somali's who migrated and they talked about how wrong people were about Islam back in their own country by using it as a weapon for control and influence, rather then to preach it as a means for keeping peace with others.

Forwen
18-11-09, 21:14
all I stated was my opinion. :rolleyes: .

I thought you believed you didn't have the right to comment.

voltz
18-11-09, 21:20
I thought you believed you didn't have the right to comment.

Talk about irony...

Encore
18-11-09, 21:22

Playing devil's advocate for a bit: this comment doesn't read anywhere like "I agree with throwing stones at people".

And to be fair, I often hear (for example) americans complaining that we europeans have no right to comment on their politics, or vice versa... Well that's basically what I read in this post.

The reason I don't agree with it is because human rights are above (or equal to) the constitutional law of the countries. So technically there should be room for the international community to intervene here.

Catapharact
18-11-09, 21:24
The reason I don't agree with it is because human rights are above (or equal to) the constitutional law of the countries. So technically there should be room for the international community to intervene here.

Which would be true IF the current mode of government had a popular vote on their decision. When lives are at stake and moral grounds are questioned by the people of the country itself... Yeah... I think its time for the international community to look at this seriously.

Paddy
18-11-09, 21:24
Whether its their law or not, people have a right to debate whether a law is right or wrong. And I dont think people are being judgmental like someone stated, its the law people were saying was wrong and not to mention sick.

voltz
18-11-09, 21:27
Which would be true IF the current mode of government had a popular vote on their decision. When lives are at stake and moral grounds are questioned by the people of the country itself... Yeah... I think its time for the international community to look at this seriously.

We could try, but we're talking about going to actual war here.

sandra croft
18-11-09, 21:31
Playing devil's advocate for a bit: this comment doesn't read anywhere like "I agree with throwing stones at people".

And to be fair, I often hear (for example) americans complaining that we europeans have no right to comment on their politics, or vice versa... Well that's basically what I read in this post.

The post may not agreeing to stone people but it was stupid, if there is something wrong with the law change it not just say oh itīs the law. And even if he is not agreeing to stone people his other post suggest that he are at least in favour of death penalty. Killing someone in the electric chair isnīt that much better, I know a innocence man that was killed that way.

Catapharact
18-11-09, 21:32
We could try, but we're talking about going to actual war here.

Africa as a whole needs a huge intervention from the international community. Like I pointed out before, there are way too many extremist groups present with in the continent using any and every excuse including mudding up the good name of Islam and Christianity to further their patheic causes. The fact of the matter is, these groups really have no intention of doing something valuable for their communities. No... They are like Locusts; They overthrow a government, raid their coffers, leech off as much as they can from the population and then high tail it out of there.

Enough is enough.

Cochrane
18-11-09, 21:35
I love a good debate with a devil's advocate. Now, the comment is not actively encouraging stoning. However, it shows a degree of inaction that enables such things in the first place. trlestew does (hopefully) not agree with stoning, but this post, shows a "doesn't concern me" mindset that is actually very helpful for people who like to stone.

To some degree, this is right, but as you said yourself, basic human rights are more important than the sovereignty of a country. Plus, in this specific instance, the sovereignty of the country is not even actually given.

trlestew
18-11-09, 21:38
The post may not agreeing to stone people but it was stupid, if there is something wrong with the law change it not just say oh itīs the law. And even if he is not agreeing to stone people his other post suggest that he are at least in favour of death penalty. Killing someone in the electric chair isnīt that much better, I know a innocence man that was killed that way.

whats the point? Ah forget it, let people think what they want to think. I dont agree with throwing stones at people. All I said is that we have no right to call people sick, evil, inhumane, even though what happened was wrong. I was un-aware that was not the law (insanely stupid I know) So thats why my first post caused all of this stir.

Paddy
18-11-09, 21:46
whats the point? Ah forget it, let people think what they want to think. I dont agree with throwing stones at people. All I said is that we have no right to call people sick, evil, inhumane, even though what happened was wrong. I was un-aware that was not the law (insanely stupid I know) So thats why my first post caused all of this stir.

So calling rapists, serial killers sick is wrong?
I think they brought judgment onto themselves with the acts they commit.
You intentionally commit a disgusting act and have no remorse then yeah theyre disgusting individuals.

Lara's Nemesis
18-11-09, 21:46
Unfortunately this kind of inhumanity is not uncommon. There are women who are accused of witchcraft and brutally murdered in some countries.

Ghana has witch camps where a lot of women are sent if they are not killed first.

sandra croft
18-11-09, 21:53

What happended was not just wrong but a crime against humanity, and the people doing it are sick even if they donīt realize it, they are religious fanatics.

Big Matt
19-11-09, 03:41
I think I prefer Jesus' response to this situation (stoning and adultery):

"If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." John 8:7 - NIV

Melonie Tomb Raider
19-11-09, 04:39
Oh my goodness, buried to the waist and then stoned? Good grief, this is so sad. :(

voltz
19-11-09, 04:46
Not much of what I'd call a fighting chance is it?

Hermina94
19-11-09, 10:33
Terrible :(

LightningRider
19-11-09, 10:53
Am I getting the whole this happened in the Bible vibe here or not?

It's sad. But it is their country, their rules. :o

digitizedboy
19-11-09, 10:57
sounds like the dark ages. Talk about progress...

and these are the exact same laws the radicals rallied for recently in London to bring to Britain? Scary.

young Lara Croft
19-11-09, 11:17
It is very sad , but women should be faithful to their husbands! enough said!

EscondeR
19-11-09, 11:26
^ Did I read it right? You mean you justify the stoning? Reasons (other than the above)?

Those laws will never achieve what they are supposed to. Either they'll fail, or there will be nobody to obey them. People tend to learn on their own mistakes nevertheless and a dead person will hardly learn the lesson.

BTW, she was divorced to the moment the tragedy took place.

Cochrane
19-11-09, 11:31
Not much of what I'd call a fighting chance is it?
I don't get the feeling that "fighting chance" was the idea here…

It's sad. But it is their country, their rules. :o
We already went through this in this thread some time ago. Things like these violate basic human rights, which are more important than any local laws. Besides, it's not like this was something that was lawfully enacted, this was a number of extremists who took power forcefully, and who have no international recognition.

It is very sad , but women should be faithful to their husbands! enough said!
Let's ignore the fact that she was actually divorced (which the so-called court ignored). Nothing can justify something like that, and your notions about being faithful are no exception.

LightningRider
19-11-09, 11:39
It does violate Human Rights, and it does seem really ignorant of them to just not see she was divorced.

Is Somali as free country or something?

Johnnay
19-11-09, 11:42
It does violate Human Rights, and it does seem really ignorant of them to just not see she was divorced.

Is Somalia a free country or something?

well it recently is the worst corrupted contry in the world by Transparency International and Extremeists are there and Somalia has no goverenment. a lawless nation. Somalia.

Of course not free LR:)

LightningRider
19-11-09, 11:44
Then they practically have no power over deaths.

Freakish ****.

Mad Tony
19-11-09, 15:27
All this "it's their rules so we have no right to comment" is rather annoying.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
19-11-09, 15:58
All this "it's their rules so we have no right to comment" is rather annoying.

I have the right to say whatever my heart desires. All I lack is the capacity to change any of it.

Minimus
19-11-09, 16:17
Evil. That's just one word I can use. :mad:

takamotosan
19-11-09, 21:04
I have the right to say whatever my heart desires. All I lack is the capacity to change any of it.

Exactly.
We have every right to debate a subject. It's a forum. That's what we're supposed to do.

I think it's pathetic that these religious leaders use religion as a front for their sadistic desire to control others.

Mad Tony
19-11-09, 21:15
I have the right to say whatever my heart desires. All I lack is the capacity to change any of it.Was that a counter argument or something? :confused: I completely agree with you. :p

Sgt BOMBULOUS
19-11-09, 22:18
Was that a counter argument or something? :confused: I completely agree with you. :p

No no... I just felt like saying something profound :pi:

jackles
19-11-09, 22:26
I like profound.

Sometimes it helps to remind those of us who are fortunate to live lives where the chances of us getting stoned or whipped etc are pretty remote, that those 'indiscretions' that some people take for granted can be life or death for others in the world. :(

Reggie
19-11-09, 22:51
I like profound.

Sometimes it helps to remind those of us who are fortunate to live lives where the chances of us getting stoned or whipped etc are pretty remote, that those 'indiscretions' that some people take for granted can be life or death for others in the world. :(
Well said Jackie.
Its hard to measure just HOW grateful I am to live in relative comfort and certainty.

Draco
20-11-09, 00:18
I think it's pathetic that these religious leaders use religion as a front for their sadistic desire to control others.

What did you think religion was invented for?

takamotosan
20-11-09, 00:23

;)

voltz
20-11-09, 00:23
Good note. Anyone have history on pharaoh rule before religion became popular?

Twilight
20-11-09, 00:41
wow that sucks....err at least she doesnt have to deal with them now.

larafan25
20-11-09, 01:04
after today watching people be marched into gas chambers and reading about kittens being drowned and men shot in the head...I HATE hearing this stuff.

why do they do that? I mean first of all if the women is having an affair it isn't even their buissness...

BTW whats Adultry?

voltz
20-11-09, 01:09
Sleeping with others while married.

larafan25
20-11-09, 02:22
^ok, makes sense...I thought there was more than one thing going on here that I didn't know:)

anways, ya this is horrible...I thought people stopped doing this stone crap a long time ago.

Uzi master
20-11-09, 02:30

most religions, "God told me this, God told me that" well I know buhdists wouldn't be liike that, Athiests too, the reaason? I'm not saying it about all believers and stuff but since athiests and buhdists don't have god(s) they have to real control or ploy to get people to do what they wan't, or be tricked.

EternoD
20-11-09, 02:44
Girl got stoned!

EscondeR
20-11-09, 05:50
^ Though being optimistic and finding reasons for amusement everywhere is normally a good quality, I doubt there is place for jokes of that kind in this thread.

Mad Tony
20-11-09, 06:59
most religions, "God told me this, God told me that" well I know buhdists wouldn't be liike that, Athiests too, the reaason? I'm not saying it about all believers and stuff but since athiests and buhdists don't have god(s) they have to real control or ploy to get people to do what they wan't, or be tricked.That was pretty poorly worded but from what I can understand you think that atheists and Buddhists don't ever try and trick people or get them to do what they want because they don't believe in a God?

What a load of crap.

EscondeR
20-11-09, 07:05
^ Better say poorly understood :mis:

He suggests actually that Atheists and Buddhists have less excuses to manipulate people, so need more effort, if they have that aim.

Peanut
20-11-09, 07:09
Poor Girl, I'm muslim and I would say that killing someone for doing it is not allowed as far as I know. Yes she did it, Its not their choice to kill people just because they are religious and came out of nowhere thinking they own the country. :rolleyes:

Aranara
20-11-09, 07:13
I'm disgusted. This is not RIGHT!

lcaddict
20-11-09, 07:43
This is horrible! It's adultery for cryin' out loud! They should kill her! Oook, i'm sadistic..

Dennis's Mom
20-11-09, 15:48
^ Better say poorly understood :mis:

He suggests actually that Atheists and Buddhists have less excuses to manipulate people, so need more effort, if they have that aim.

Stupid passes everywhere. The idea that a single ideology makes a general population as a whole less inclined toward abuse of their fellow man is flawed because people are far more than an ideology they espouse. Some of the most prolific manipulators and killers have been atheists, and Japan, while nominally Buddhist in nature, succumbed to nationalism to predicated some atrocious behavior during WWII.

The quest for power corrupts. Power is incredibly seductive, and while people are more than happy to blame religion whenever these thing happen, it's merely a disguise for a quest for control. Don't excuse control-freaks where they exist simply because they don't wear a religious mask. I mean, have you ever been to Berkley? ;)

NemesisX13X
20-11-09, 15:56
She wasn't supposed to be killed, she was supposed to recieve 60 or 100 lashes in public, not killed. Extreme muslims are retards.

Uzi master
20-11-09, 22:32
That was pretty poorly worded but from what I can understand you think that atheists and Buddhists don't ever try and trick people or get them to do what they want because they don't believe in a God?

What a load of crap.

I meant trick OTHER Athiests/ Buhdists, and do you know much about Buhdism? just saying they tend to be gentle, peacfull ect.

Cochrane
20-11-09, 22:43
She wasn't supposed to be killed, she was supposed to recieve 60 or 100 lashes in public, not killed. Extreme muslims are retards.

Being lashed in public would not be acceptable either.

EscondeR
21-11-09, 15:12
^ Exactly.

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 15:14
Being lashed in public would not be acceptable either.

I know, but that's how rules are in Islam, she shouldn't've done it in the first place. :)

Draco
21-11-09, 15:52
I know, but that's how rules are in Islam, she shouldn't've done it in the first place. :)

She did nothing wrong, not even under Sharia law.

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 15:58
She did nothing wrong, not even under Sharia law.

But premarital sex is forbidden in Islam.

Draco
21-11-09, 16:00
But premarital sex is forbidden in Islam.

Does that include divorcees?

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 16:01
Does that include divorcees?

Yes.

Draco
21-11-09, 16:03
Yes.

Well, nobody ever accused religions of being good for humanity.

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 16:03
Well, nobody ever accused religions of being good for humanity.

Rules are rules, they aren't very hard to follow, if she liked him then she could've just married him. :)

Draco
21-11-09, 16:06
Rules are rules, they aren't very hard to follow, if she liked him then she could've just married him. :)

Under Sharia law, I'd be dead right now. I refuse to follow the 'rules' of any religion. And no religion should be able to influence the law.

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 16:09
Under Sharia law, I'd be dead right now. I refuse to follow the 'rules' of any religion. And no religion should be able to influence the law.

Well, you're not muslim are you? And the punishment of premarital sex is recieving several lashes for each, not getting killed.

Draco
21-11-09, 16:11
Well, you're not muslim are you? And the punishment of premarital sex is recieving several lashes for each, not getting killed.

Would it matter if I was muslim? If I was there, I'd fall under their 'law'. Well I'd be killed for being alive, but that is beside the point.

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 16:16
Would it matter if I was muslim? If I was there, I'd fall under their 'law'. Well I'd be killed for being alive, but that is beside the point.

Well, I do think that what they did was wrong, but muslim countries don't usually punish non-muslims by the Islamic rules. I think.

Draco
21-11-09, 16:21
Well, I do think that what they did was wrong, but muslim countries don't usually punish non-muslims by the Islamic rules. I think.

They shouldn't be able to punish anybody. Laws of the land are all that should matter ultimately. Religious precepts should be something you subject yourself to willingly, but they should never supercede law, ever.

Do you think they would not have carried out the 'punishment' if she claimed not to be muslim?

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 16:25
They shouldn't be able to punish anybody. Laws of the land are all that should matter ultimately. Religious precepts should be something you subject yourself to willingly.

Do you think they would not have carried out the 'punishment' if she claimed not to be muslim?

Some countries like the one she's from are messed up, I mean, there aren't any rules, and when extreme muslims take control, stuff like this happen.

And yes, they would've.

remote91
21-11-09, 16:36
They should kill her! Oook, i'm sadistic..
No, just an idiot.

Draco
21-11-09, 16:43
Some countries like the one she's from are messed up, I mean, there aren't any rules, and when extreme muslims take control, stuff like this happen.

And yes, they would've.

Absolutely, but it is up to them to free themselves of Chaos.

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 16:52
Absolutely, but it is up to them to free themselves of Chaos.

Well, people there are weak, if they speak for themselves, they'd get shot, so all they can do is just stay hidden.

Mad Tony
21-11-09, 16:55
I know, but that's how rules are in Islam, she shouldn't've done it in the first place. :)But she did. It's wrong yeah, but she deserved neither death nor lashings.

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 16:56
But she did. It's wrong yeah, but she deserved neither death nor lashings.

She didn't deserve death, but lashing. Those are the rules.

TRfan23
21-11-09, 16:58
She didn't deserve death, but lashing. Those are the rules.

There's no logic in those rules :( It sounds as if it's a hobby for the government :( :mad:

*Putting Islam the religion itself aside, as that doesn't do anything wrong*

Reckless Lara
21-11-09, 17:03
Sure, it sucks but I know how things work there so I cant do anything about it.
I didnt set the damn rules.

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 17:03
There's no logic in those rules :( It sounds as if it's a hobby for the government :( :mad:

*Putting Islam the religion itself aside, as that doesn't do anything wrong*

Not death, just lashing.
I personally don't find anything wrong, they should live by the rules, they break them, then they must be punished.

Mad Tony
21-11-09, 17:04
She didn't deserve death, but lashing. Those are the rules.The rules of barbaric Islamic extremists with wild interpretations of the Quaran, yes.

Dark Lugia 2
21-11-09, 17:05
But she did. It's wrong yeah, but she deserved neither death nor lashings.

You think that but their government obviously doesnt think so. Its like if someone got locked up in Britain and someone over in that country said they didnt deserve it, its still the law, regardless of an outsiders opinion.

I also dont agree with what happened btw. We can say she didnt deserve it, but she did break the law and was punished.

TRfan23
21-11-09, 17:06
Not death, just lashing.
I personally don't find anything wrong, they should live by the rules, they break them, then they must be punished.

I meant lashing! I just imagine a guy lashing the person laughing his head off enjoying the fun of torture :(
I have nothing against Islam, but the laws of physical abuse in regards of pain and torture (regardless of what crime's been committed) I do, I recently changed my mind about capital punishment though.

Squibbly
21-11-09, 17:07
The rules of barbaric Islamic extremists with wild interpretations of the Quaran, yes.

I was just about to write something similar.

Mad Tony
21-11-09, 17:09
You think that but their government obviously doesnt think so. Its like if someone got locked up in Britain and someone over in that country said they didnt deserve it, its still the law, regardless of an outsiders opinion.

I also dont agree with what happened btw. We can say she didnt deserve it, but she did break the law and was punished.But it's a law that is based on mere interpretations of a religious book, nothing more. I'm a Christian myself, but I don't believe we should take quotes from the Bible like "he who works on the sabbath should be put to death" and put them into law.

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 17:10
The rules of barbaric Islamic extremists with wild interpretations of the Quaran, yes.

Look, muslim extremists do everything wrong, yes, I agree with you on that, but Islam has set rules, and theres really no need to break them, she could've easily avoided doing so.

I meant lashing! I just imagine a guy lashing the person laughing his head off enjoying the fun of torture :(
I have nothing against Islam, but the laws of physical abuse in regards of pain and torture (regardless of what crime's been committed) I do, I recently changed my mind about capital punishment though.

But she did something wrong, majorly wrong, both should be punished, it isn't inhumane.

Mad Tony
21-11-09, 17:11
Look, muslim extremists do everything wrong, yes, I agree with you on that, but Islam has set rules, and theres really no need to break them, she could've easily avoided doing so.All of these "rules" are open to interpretation. That's often why you have nuts going around killing people for committing adultery and then using their interpretation of a religion as an excuse.

TRfan23
21-11-09, 17:12
But she did something wrong, majorly wrong, both should be punished, it isn't inhumane.

I hope Mohammad comes down and tells them those rules are not allowed no more, and were for the time years ago :(

btw - Where in the Qur'an does it mention adultery?

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 17:14
I hope Mohammad comes down and tells them those rules are not allowed no more, and were for the time years ago :(

All of these "rules" are open to interpretation. That's often why you have nuts going around killing people for committing adultery and then using their interpretation of a religion as an excuse.

They aren't using religion as an excuse, see, when you have a religion and a set of rules, you'd know right from wrong, and everything in your life would be more simple and have order, instead of doing several wrong things and have some people punished and some not depending on other's thoughts.

@TRfan: I've read it in the Qu'uran somewhere, I'll try to find it.

Mad Tony
21-11-09, 17:17
They aren't using religion as an excuse, see, when you have a religion and a set of rules, you'd know right from wrong, and everything in your life would be more simple and have order, instead of doing several wrong things and have some people punished and some not depending on other's thoughts.But all of these rules are open to interpretation and thus can be easily abused (like in this case), that's my point.

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 17:23
But all of these rules are open to interpretation and thus can be easily abused (like in this case), that's my point.

Yes, they can be easily abused by blinded extremists, I do agree with you on that.

TRfan23
21-11-09, 17:23
They aren't using religion as an excuse, see, when you have a religion and a set of rules, you'd know right from wrong, and everything in your life would be more simple and have order, instead of doing several wrong things and have some people punished and some not depending on other's thoughts.

Okay but I'm agreeing with Ben here, sorry.

^ Oh now I see...

@TRfan: I've read it in the Qu'uran somewhere, I'll try to find it.

Sure thanks :)

Dark Lugia 2
21-11-09, 17:26
But it's a law that is based on mere interpretations of a religious book, nothing more. I'm a Christian myself, but I don't believe we should take quotes from the Bible like "he who works on the sabbath should be put to death" and put them into law.

I know, but it is still the law. Theres not alot we can do about it unfortunately, besides criticise it from afar.

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 17:32
Okay, I found them, they're in Arabic, but I'll translate.

Here's the first:

قال الله تعالى: ولا تقربوا الزنا إنه كان فاحشة وساء سبيلا

This one tells to stay away from premarital sex because it's a major sin.

وقال تعالى: الزَّانِيَةُ وَالزَّانِي فَاجْلِدُوا كُلَّ وَاحِدٍ مِّنْهُمَا مِئَةَ جَلْدَةٍ وَلَا تَأْخُذْكُم بِهِمَا رَأْفَةٌ فِي دِينِ اللَّهِ إِن كُنتُمْ تُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ

And this one says that the punishment is to lash each one 100 times.

Want more?

TRfan23
21-11-09, 17:35
Okay, I found them, they're in Arabic, but I'll translate.

Here's the first:

قال الله تعالى: ولا تقربوا الزنا إنه كان فاحشة وساء سبيلا

This one tells to stay away from premarital sex because it's a major sin.

وقال تعالى: الزَّانِيَةُ وَالزَّانِي فَاجْلِدُوا كُلَّ وَاحِدٍ مِّنْهُمَا مِئَةَ جَلْدَةٍ وَلَا تَأْخُذْكُم بِهِمَا رَأْفَةٌ فِي دِينِ اللَّهِ إِن كُنتُمْ تُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ

And this one says that the punishment is to lash each one 100 times.

Want more?

Right thanks :) I have other questions regarding what's written in the Qur'an, but they're off topic ones. Check your PM in a mo (After I've had my dinner) ;)

NemesisX13X
21-11-09, 17:36
Okay, glad I could help. :)