PDA

View Full Version : Oprah Ending Talk Show In 2011

EmeraldFields
20-11-09, 04:44
Oprah Winfrey will announce on Friday's "The Oprah Winfrey Show" that she will end her talk show, said a spokesman for Winfrey's Harpo Productions.

"Oprah will be ending her talk show," Harpo spokesman Don Halcombe said Thursday. "She will be speaking about it on tomorrow's live show."

The show will air live from its Chicago, Illinois, studio at 9 a.m. CT (10 a.m. ET), he said.

The show will end on September 9, 2011, as its 25th season draws to a close, according to a letter from Harpo Inc. that President Tim Bennett addressed to partners and obtained by CNN affiliate WLS-TV.

"Tomorrow, Oprah will announce live on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" that she has decided to end what is arguably one of the most popular, influential and enduring programs in television history," Bennett wrote.

The show has been the highest-rated talk show for 23 consecutive seasons, according to the Oprah.com site. It is seen by an estimated 42 million viewers a week in the United States and is broadcast to 145 countries.

The show had its origins in 1984, when Winfrey moved to Chicago to host WLS-TV's morning talk show, "AM Chicago," which became the No. 1 local talk show. The show surpassed ratings for "Donahue" one month after it began, the site said. Within a year, it had expanded to an hour-long format and been renamed "The Oprah Winfrey Show." It entered national syndication in 1986.

In August 2004, Winfrey signed an extension for the show to keep it on the air through 2011.

"I got a call from Oprah, and she told me that she is announcing that next year will be her last year," talk show host Ellen DeGeneres told her audience Thursday. "It will be her 25th year, and she feels like it's time for her to stop.
"I don't think I could be here without her," DeGeneres said. "I think she has blazed a trail ... she is an amazing woman. She will always be the queen of daytime television ... she is fantastic and I love her and I wish her the best. She deserves to rest. She has worked really, really hard."

Over the years, the show has made news on several occasions. In September 2004, for instance, Winfrey began a new season by giving each member of the audience a new car. In May 2005, Tom Cruise caused a sensation when he jumped up and down on Oprah's couch, declaring his love for actress Katie Holmes.

Other guests have shared their personal struggles, such as Elizabeth Edwards, wife of former vice presidential candidate John Edwards; performer Whitney Houston and Lisa Niemi, widow of actor Patrick Swayze.

Read Harpo's letter to partners obtained by CNN affiliate WLS

The show has also served as a launching pad for several experts -- Dr. Mehmet Oz on nutrition and health; Suze Orman on financial matters; Dr. Phil McGraw on families and relationships; and Martha Beck, a life coach. McGraw went on to have a talk show of his own.

Along the way, Winfrey has revealed her struggles with weight loss and as a survivor of childhood sexual abuse. From the talk show, she has created the popular Oprah's Book Club; O Magazine; Oprah's Angel Network, a charitable foundation; and co-founded Oxygen Media, a 24-hour cable channel aimed at women.

In 2008, Winfrey announced that beginning in 2009, the Discovery Health Channel would be named OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network. The network is "a multi-platform media company designed to entertain, inform and inspire people to live their best lives," according to Oprah.com. Harpo Productions has also grown to include Harpo Films.

Winfrey's wealth was estimated at around $1 billion by Forbes in 2004. Last year, she topped the Forbes Celebrity 100 list that measures both power and money.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/19/oprah.ends.show/index.html

Although she still has a couple years left, it's sad to see Oprah leave.:(

Catapharact
20-11-09, 04:48
While I never did pay attention to Oprah much, I do know that my wife will certainly be sad to hear this. Gotta give credit where its due; Oprah definately carved her name down in the marble slab of day time television.

Not bad for someone who started off as an assistant to a news Anchorman.

voltz
20-11-09, 04:57
She handing out any more cars?

Catapharact
20-11-09, 04:58

Think I had my laugh of the day.

Melonie Tomb Raider
20-11-09, 05:00
I never liked her, but I feel bad for the people who love her show. :/

BoyTRaider
20-11-09, 05:01
Never really watched the show, but I understand she's certainly done a whole lot of charity.

I still can't fathom how huge her mansion in Miami is. Lol I could see it all the way in an island which was 4 miles off shore.

Lol! :vlol:

tranniversary119
20-11-09, 05:09
Thank GodAww :( I'm gonna miss Oprah. :D

EmeraldFields
20-11-09, 05:11
She's probably going to begin her plan for world domination now. And all of you haters will be the first to die.http://i46.************/2mxg7dh.jpg

Draco
20-11-09, 05:12
I admire what she managed to do, but at the same time I am not sorry to see her go.

voltz
20-11-09, 05:12
She's probably going to begin her plan for world domination now. And all of you haters will be the first to die.http://i46.************/2mxg7dh.jpg

No we're 2nd. First one on Oprah's hit list would be Martha Stewart.

tranniversary119
20-11-09, 05:13
No we're 2nd. First one on Oprah's hit list would be Martha Stewart.

And then Ellen!

Johnnay
20-11-09, 05:26
I like Oprah.....but Ellen is better

rowanlim
20-11-09, 05:36
Aww shame, I like her, she had some pretty good shows :tmb:

voltz
20-11-09, 05:41
I like Oprah.....but Ellen is better

Every time I see her dance, I keep thinking a stage prop is gonna drop on her any minute.

AmericanAssassin
20-11-09, 05:43
Life without Oprah?! :yik: How will I ever move on?! :p Haha! This is sad. It will be weird without her on TV constantly...

daventry
20-11-09, 06:41
http://i45.************/34qtsll.jpg

LegendLost
20-11-09, 07:24
It's straight out of 2012 the movie. Oprahs knows something and wants to spend the rest of her days not dealing with other people :D
I'm completely joking if anyone didnt pick up on this. lol.

Ikas90
20-11-09, 07:31
She's a great human being. :) I admire her for what she's done for humankind. That's reason enough to admire her.

Draco
20-11-09, 07:34
She's a great human being. :) I admire her for what she's done for humankind. That's reason enough to admire her.

I really hate to start an argument... but what has she done?

daventry
20-11-09, 07:35
What did she do for Human Kind, besides America. :confused:

LegendLost
20-11-09, 07:43
Oprah opened the school in South Africa for girls, helped raise awareness of animal rights activism, helped promote countless struggling authors reach fame through her book club, counseled so to speak 1000's of people on her talk show about their problems, and used her fame and power to help raise awareness to many of the unnoticed struggles people worldwide have faced ranging from the darfur case, to malnourishment of children in third world countries. I think it goes to say, Oprahs helped tremendously one way or another.

daventry
20-11-09, 08:13
Do Not Sell your Fame and Power to the World and Believe you shall Enter the Gates of Heaven, for in Ritchness you Stink, so Poor is Your Soul.

The same goes for Micheal Jackson, he gave Charities to Children in thinking he is doing Good for the World by Increasing His Fame, but he is only a 50 Year Old Child hiding from his Past.

Madonna thinks she is doing Good for Herself by Adopting a Child from His Parents in Africa to Increase Her Fame, but if Brangelina can do it, why cant I.

The Same goes for Brangelina and Princess Dianna, did they do it for Love and Charity, or for Fame.

It is the Ritch and Fame that thinks they have All the Fame and Ritches of the World, but its the Poor and Weak who are Ritcher then the World.

We Ordinary People who Live our Ordinary Lives, are as Blind as the Blindman for thinking of Ourselves most of the time and give a Penny to the Poor and say thats All I Got.

The Queen lives in her Castle and only comes out of her Cage when she is Called for, with All her Majesty and Power, she gave a Memorial Fountain about Princess Diana to the People on the Backside of the Palace 20 Miles away and the Statue is Nothing but a Toilet Seat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRBV4nPGYs4
Only Days after she tried to Show Her Feelings for Diana to the People.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_moIV4wDQsY

scoopy_loopy
20-11-09, 09:19
^ :rolleyes:

Ikas90
20-11-09, 09:38
I really hate to start an argument... but what has she done?

As far as I know:

- She's donated millions (if not billions) of dollars to charity for people in need
- She's built a school in Africa for the people in need
- She's built schools in poor countries all over the world
- She's helped rebuild homes after hurricane Katrina

Are you saying you think she didn't do any of those things?

daventry
20-11-09, 09:41
She did it for Herself, for who can Deny OPRAH WEEEEE. :confused:

Ikas90
20-11-09, 09:44

So she did all those things for herself?

I don't see the benefit in that.

Jack Croft
20-11-09, 09:58
She is so influential, miss you Oprah!

Draco
20-11-09, 16:08
As far as I know:

- She's donated millions (if not billions) of dollars to charity for people in need

I don't need a TV show or to be filthy rich to do any of those things.

violentblossom
20-11-09, 16:15
^ :rolleyes:

Agreed.

LightningRider
20-11-09, 16:30

She did it for herself, she wasted thousands, wait, millions of dollars to help over hundreds of people, to help herself?

Oh yeah, that's totally logical in every single point. :rolleyes:

Oh and I know your from Africa, but spell Riches right, next time, okay.

Also:

Do Not Sell your Fame and Power to the World and Believe you shall Enter the Gates of Heaven, for in Ritchness you Stink, so Poor is Your Soul.

So your pretty much saying that there's not a single good person int the world, who does things for others? Because your implying it a whole lot, and either you don't notice it, or your clearly trying to be a smart ass.

But seriously, :off:

I'm gonna miss Oprah. Today in English, we were given a problem regarding a plane crash, and since there's only one parachute, we were asked to pick a well-known personality, and give a speech about why said chosen person should get the Parachute. I chose Oprah, and I was saying how she became an inspiration to hundreds of people and that her death would be very heartbreaking, I didn't win, but you have to admit, it's sad that she's doing this. She was running strong in the years her show was on air, shocking to hear it's ending already. :(

But I respect her decision, hope she doesn't stay too far away from helping people of the world in their struggles. Oprah's show lives on. :)

irjudd
20-11-09, 16:30
Mingie? Don't you die on me!

robm_2007
20-11-09, 16:34
i wonder what she'll do next. in 2011, she'll only be 57. it doesnt seem like an age to retire.

im sure that someone will offer her a **** load of money to continue her show.

Chocola teapot
20-11-09, 16:36
Gasp! Opraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!

:vlol:

Punaxe
20-11-09, 16:36

Either way, she still did it and people have been helped by it.

daventry
20-11-09, 16:40
She is 55 and a little Young to step off if you will, since there are allot of Talk Show Hosts who are maybe 60 and are still going Strong. ;)

She cant Quit just because she is Bored of her Show, or maybe she wants to go to Movies and TV Series Full Time, but i have a Feeling she has Cancer, since many People are starting to get Cancer these days. :(

LightningRider
20-11-09, 16:41
Maybe at some point in her life, it's been running 25 seasons, I feel that's enough, she wanted to finally take a break, and stick to writing self help books I guess. :)

robm_2007
20-11-09, 16:45
She is 55 and a little Young to step off if you will since there are allot of Talk Show Hosts who are maybe 60 and are still going Strong. ;)

She cant Quit just because she is Bored of her Show, or maybe she wants to go to Movies and TV Series Full Time, but i have a Feeling she has Cancer, since many People are starting to get Cancer these days. :(

i hope that she dosent have cancer. but yeah, she seems too young to retire. i wonder if she is bored of her show, i cant imagine it.

i also cant imagine her getting back into acting, though.

but look at Regis Philbin, hes 77 or so, and still on TV. as is Barbara Walters, shes 80, and still on TV. and David Letterman is about 63, and on TV. and they are all on TV regulary.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
20-11-09, 16:45
i wonder what she'll do next. in 2011, she'll only be 57. it doesnt seem like an age to retire.

im sure that someone will offer her a **** load of money to continue her show.

She's worth like 2.3 billion dollars... She could have stopped working years ago.

robm_2007
20-11-09, 16:48
She's worth like 2.3 billion dollars... She could have stopped working like 5 years ago.

yes, but how do the rich stay rich? they keep the money coming in; and also, dont go crazy on $1 million shopping sprees every week. (im sure she'd like to be richer, and have more money to give to charity and such.)

Ora Dagger
20-11-09, 16:50
I never did watch her show, but I do know she did a lot of charity work. Good Work Oprah!

Aranara
20-11-09, 17:18
I don't watch her show, but it's kinda sad that she will leave soon.

remote91
20-11-09, 17:22
Mingie? Don't you die on me!
LMAO. Did nobody else get the reference?

Anyway this is sad news. Who is Kathy Griffin gonna make fun of? :(

violentblossom
20-11-09, 17:26
Anyway this is sad news. Who is Kathy Griffin gonna make fun of? :(

Who's Keith gonna worship now?

KC Mraz
20-11-09, 17:38
The show will end on September 9, 2011, as its 25th season draws to a close, according to a letter from Harpo Inc. that President Tim Bennett addressed to partners and obtained by CNN affiliate WLS-TV.

Wait, my 18th birthday is on September 9, 2011. Why do I get to live in an Oprah-less world? That's unfair.

Anyways, I wonder how far in advance you can buy tickets for her show. She'll probably give away some crazy stuff that day :D.

remote91
20-11-09, 17:52
Who's Keith gonna worship now?
US.

Dennis's Mom
20-11-09, 23:47
Oprah is starting her own cable network. She's not ill or fading away.

I don't watch her show, but I do respect what she's accomplished.

Dark Lugia 2
20-11-09, 23:54
How can you criticise her for giving to charity?... its much more than any of us on this forum have done, I'm sure.

I'm British and everyone knows her name over here, shes made quite a name of herself :)

larafan25
21-11-09, 00:07
OH NO!

I heard about this earlier today, I love talkshows and loved hers:(

but it's not untill 2011:D

Tommy123
21-11-09, 01:05
Well there goes my afternoon fun next year:(

voltz
21-11-09, 03:42
You'll just have to put up with soap operas....

elizard_9594
21-11-09, 04:16
yeah!!!! thank god she's leaving! i dislike her very much...

TR_chick89
21-11-09, 04:59
I admire what she managed to do, but at the same time I am not sorry to see her go.

I second that. I never was crazy about her, but she did make a lasting impression on American TV. Well, I guess someone else will have to choose our presidents. :rolleyes:

voltz
21-11-09, 05:17
yeah!!!! thank god she's leaving! i dislike her very much...

That's ok with everybody. She made more money then the rest of us.

daventry
21-11-09, 05:30
Just curious, why is she Announcing Now that she will leave, why not Announce it June 2010 or November at that time or a Month before in 2011. :confused:

LightningRider
21-11-09, 05:44
Just curious, why is she Announcing Now that she will leave, why not Announce it June 2010 or November at that time or a Month before in 2011. :confused:

It's kinda horrible to announce something just as the new season has started. I mean, could you start a new season, and mid-way say "I'm canceling the show,"?

LegendLost
21-11-09, 05:45

cause as sad as it sounds, i think people book her shows that far in advance.

robm_2007
21-11-09, 16:04
How can you criticise her for giving to charity?... its much more than any of us on this forum have done, I'm sure.

I'm British and everyone knows her name over here, shes made quite a name of herself :)

everyone knows who Oprah is!

there are penguins in Antarctica that know who Oprah Winfrey is, and all about her accomplishments.

Encore
21-11-09, 19:25
As far as I know:

I don't need a TV show or to be filthy rich to do any of those things.

I see a blatant contradiction here. But if you know of some way to donate billions of dollars that aren't yours, please teach me. :D

sandygrimm
21-11-09, 19:33
HALLELUJAH!! :yah:

patriots88888
21-11-09, 19:39
Yea, she's leaving our planet for her very own so she can avoid the 2012 disaster!

Her last words will be: So long suckers!

robm_2007
23-11-09, 17:23
i hear she just bought the Moon; to avoid the 2012 disaster (as previously mentioned above)! and she's changing the history books so that she was the first person on the moon. All hail Oprah, Queen of the Moon!