PDA

View Full Version : Google is not all powerful

Draco
21-11-09, 20:00
I'm trying to find information on what non windows OSes are the most able to run games. I know historically Linux was never good at games, but I really don't know about the current versions.

Anyone have any expertise to lend? I really don't want to keep using Windows if there are better alternatives.

As the title of the thread indicates, Google is not giving me much help in trying to answer this question. The only things that pop up are obscure sites or those too old to be relevant.

Any thoughts?

PS: Thought this would be some kind of scathing article or something didn't you?

SamReeves
21-11-09, 20:02
Hmm, interesting question. My question would be is there any better platform than Windows XP? There's still plenty of stuff that doesn't work with Vista, and as far as Windows 7 goes, I don't know.

Draco
21-11-09, 20:07
Windows 7 is being overhyped, so much that it can't be honest hype either. So I want to avoid that kettle of worms.

I've heard as much bad about Windows 7 as I have about Vista (which is what Im using now).

I do have XP Pro that I can use, but the days of that operating system at drawing to a close real soon. Obviously I'd like to be able to keep up with the times without having to shell out tons of money endlessly for progressively worse software.

Cochrane
21-11-09, 20:40
All but Windows essentially rely on the same technology to run games, that is to say Wine. I think CrossOver Games is the best solution for games you already have, and you can get that for Mac OS X and Linux (though it costs money). Wine itself is free and way more of a hassle to get running. You can get it for Linux, Mac OS X and anything that calls itself Unix, though the support levels vary.

If you're into buying new games as well, the amount of games ported to Linux has been going towards zero, while there are more and more coming out for Mac OS X.

Personally, I don't use any of them, I just boot into Windows. Currently XP, once I replace my hard drive I'll upgrade to 7 (though I'm not yet sure whether 32 or 64 bit). Crossover just is too sluggish for me, and waiting for games to get ported to the Mac takes a long time and means you'll pay more.

irjudd
21-11-09, 20:59
If I were to try and ditch Windows, and still have the hopes of playing games, I would probably go directly to Ubuntu (or some similar style of GNU/Linux distro) with WINE. Assuming when you say "still able to run games" you mean the common "PC games". Apparently Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala is very good. Plan to test it next week on virtual machine.

Draco
21-11-09, 20:59
This is why Microsoftcore can be such bullies about their OSes... there is no real competition.

Drone
21-11-09, 21:03
Windows will die one day anyway. I don't know but the future of Chrome OS looks bright. Maybe it will kill Linux too. I will get rid of Windows soon I suppose. Couldn't care less about pc video games. Aint gonna throw my money on idiotic video cards and stuff, God bless consoles.

irjudd
21-11-09, 21:07
Chrome OS looks like it's another sector of the market altogether. I honestly can't tell what it's trying to compete with; it's definitely not Windows, that's for sure.

Draco
21-11-09, 21:22
Windows will die one day anyway. I don't know but the future of Chrome OS looks bright. Maybe it will kill Linux too. I will get rid of Windows soon I suppose. Couldn't care less about pc video games. Aint gonna throw my money on idiotic video cards and stuff, God bless consoles.

Ah yes, because Microsoft is so much nicer to XBOXers.

Cochrane
21-11-09, 21:25
Chrome OS looks like it's another sector of the market altogether. I honestly can't tell what it's trying to compete with; it's definitely not Windows, that's for sure.

Not Windows as you know it, but Windows as crammed on Netbooks. The way I see it, Chrome OS is not an operating system for personal computers, but rather for accessories.

irjudd
21-11-09, 21:32
Not Windows as you know it, but Windows as crammed on Netbooks. The way I see it, Chrome OS is not an operating system for personal computers, but rather for accessories.
Are you thinking along the lines of a beefed up version of Android?

Cochrane
21-11-09, 21:36
Are you thinking along the lines of a beefed up version of Android?
Yeah, although it seems like a completely different approach to a similar problem, what with being all browser-based.