PDA

View Full Version : My first date ever-advice please!

Ryu-Gi
23-11-09, 00:57
Okay, I'm freaking out.

My friend from school has set me up with a blind date on Friday. I've never gone on a date before and I'm really nervous. It's just going to be a lunch at J-town (Japan town) just to meet her and get to know her, and my friend will be hanging out with us just to make sure things don't go completely screwy...

Things I know about her so far: Her name is Jade, she's half white/half Chinese. This will apperentley be the first date for both of us, and both of us are really shy. She likes games from Valve and anime, so there's some common likes there...

Advice, please? Particularly from the girls, I need to know the best way to approach the situation so I don't end up looking like an idiot...

Oh, and for reference, I'm 22 and in college. (Yeah, I know, it took me this long. Sue me.)

miss.haggard
23-11-09, 00:58
Just be polite, smile, and be truthful!

And if all else fails, think at least you got the big "first" out of the way, and next time things may go smoother!

matrix54
23-11-09, 01:16
lie. lie like there is no tommorow. if that doesn't work... be yourself :yik:

joking. reverse that and take away the lie part. :)

Tony9595
23-11-09, 01:17
lie. lie like there is no tommorow. if that doesn't work... be yourself :yik:

joking. reverse that and take away the lie part. :)

Be yourself. If that doesn't work, there's no tomorrow... :eek:

matrix54
23-11-09, 01:19
shush. its not 2012 yet :pi:

Isaac
23-11-09, 01:19
Just be yourself, ask her questions like what's her favorite color, tvshow... Find topics you could talk about and ask her questions about herself, etc.

If you're too nervous, you might say or do something you could regret. Just tell yourself that you're meeting a new friend (for now), not going on a date. There's never anything good in panicking.

voltz
23-11-09, 01:30
Arm-pit deodorant and cologne. Also make sure you keep a good clean shave and dress appropriately.

matrix54
23-11-09, 01:34
dont forget money :eek: and condoms

voltz
23-11-09, 01:35
Yes don't forget the money. She'll clean you out so bring plenty of it.

LaraCablara
23-11-09, 01:40
Bring Peptobismol, you never know.

voltz
23-11-09, 01:56
:vlol:

Rachel Croft
23-11-09, 02:04
Be yourself and don't overdure anything. Also, be mysterious, we girls love it. :mis:

Ryu-Gi
23-11-09, 02:16
But I have no money and no cologne (Because I hate the stuff)...and if I get too mysterious I'm afraid I'll look creepy...

larafan25
23-11-09, 02:17
tell her how nice her bicepts are and then say "Kiss me!"

:D

thats all you need to know:)

Catapharact
23-11-09, 02:22
- Don't be murdane. By murdane I mean, the usual "What's your favourite colour" kind of thing. It will put her off faster then you can say "predictable." Bring the given questions in as a part of your conversation but please... Don't start the conversation with these kind of questions.

- Remember, you are trying to make her comfortable enough to enjoy the time with you and at the same time you are trying to get her know better. So non-verbal gestures count as much as what comes out of your mouth. Things like eye contact, closeness (no I don't mean go all touchy feely on her,) confidence, etc. do count. Eye contact is a must. Let her know that you really are interested in her.

- Be aware of your dating setting and the advantages it can offer for both of you. You are going into J-Town right? I personally recommend doing a bit of research about the area and get to know a few cool locations that both of you can enjoy. Do dress semi formal and book a reservation at a very nice traditional Japanese Resturant in advance. It would be cool experience for both of you.

January_Snow*
23-11-09, 02:25
Dont think so much about it thats my advice, the more you prepare and the more youre planing it it will be worse. Just relax, dont think about it, dress nice, put a nice parfume, and you have to pay for the date... and it will all go well =)

larafan25
23-11-09, 02:26
how about don't follow any rules.

I mean just be happy and fun, do the "Hey I'm meeting you for the first time" thing for about a minute then just act natural and converse!:)

snork
23-11-09, 02:38
you do not need cologne. Chances are she can't stand the stuff, like you.

I think your friend coming along is not a bad idea.

Try to think of something you can do together, instead of just sitting somewhere.
So in case both of you get too shy, then it may be useful to go somewhere else and do something.

book a reservation at a very nice traditional Japanese Resturant in advance
Over here this is almost unaffordable. :(

----------------
and what january snow said.

CerebralAssassin
23-11-09, 02:41
you don't have money?

oh lord...

larafan25
23-11-09, 02:58
oh, she may like it if you pay for the dinner:)

Catapharact
23-11-09, 03:08
Over here this is almost unaffordable. :(

Hmmm... I guess I am gonna have to go back to the basics of being aware of your surroundings. Its might be a good way to flaunt one's talents as well ;). I remember a lounge of a hotel me and my wife were waiting in for our tour coach to arrive. The lounge incidently had a piano in it ;). So I wanted to keep her entertained till then Lol! So after speaking with the front desk and the manager, I get to flaunt my skills with the piano.

a) Keeps her entertained.
b) Definately jazzed up a boring waiting period ;).

Ryu-Gi
23-11-09, 03:26
Saved! My aunt gave me money as an advance payment for the next time I baby-sit her daughter, at least I've got $20 I can use just in case...

pekirock
23-11-09, 04:39
Saved! My aunt gave me money as an advance payment for the next time I baby-sit her daughter, at least I've got $20 I can use just in case...

dont you need like wayyyy more for a dinner than $20 bucks?

Draco
23-11-09, 04:45
First of all, don't freak out. Second, admit you are nervous when you meet her. Third, don't try to be funny if you aren't. Fourth... if you get this far it's freakin obvious now.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
23-11-09, 05:15
Be yourself and whatever you do, don't talk too much about yourself... Be a good listener and take interest in her.

Tear
23-11-09, 05:26
Aww, this is so cute.:D:hug:
Just be confident and polite.

DaNoNeMoKiId
23-11-09, 06:03
Well, I'm not really good with advice but:
Breath spray, mint, anything that will keep your breath fresh. (No gum, it will stimulate your salivary glands and when you kiss its gonna be all equchhhdwdf)
Be yourself! I know sometimes, well most of the time people don't want to act like themselves on a first date, but it's good to start a relationship with honesty.
Just relax. You might be nervous at first but just live, laugh and love. :)
Good luck!

Ryu-Gi
23-11-09, 06:32
Crap.

I totally forgot it was Thanksgiving this week, and I'm going to be with family....I've had to reschedule the date for NEXT Friday...

Well, at least I have an extra week to try to calm down a bit...

Melonie Tomb Raider
23-11-09, 07:56
Just don't take it too seriously and have fun; be yourself. :) Make sure you're a gentleman, as well. That's always good. :D

Admles
23-11-09, 08:22
Be yourself, have fun, don't try and impress; just be you, if she doesn't like you for you, then she's not worth it.

Don't be surprised if she expects you to pay for everything; despite womens fight for equality, that goes out the window when the cheque arrives :D

Ada the Mental
23-11-09, 08:40
Don't be surprised if she expects you to pay for everything; despite womens fight for equality, that goes out the window when the cheque arrives :D

Actually, do offer to pay, so that she won't think you are cheap, but if she insists on paying part of it, don't be difficult about it.

Lara Croft!
23-11-09, 11:54
I'm 22 and in college. (Yeah, I know, it took me this long. Sue me.)

That made me laugh.:D

Well, the girl is probably 100 more times more nervous than you are. So it's up to you to make her feel relaxed. You should think of some topics of discussion and in whichever she participates more, keep it going. Make a few jokes, but smart ones. That way you break the ice and she will know that you have a sense of humor. Ask her things about her, to show that you are interested but also share your stories. Whenever an awkward silence appear, have a new topic in mind or comment on something she had said long ago, to show that you were paying attention. Basically be yourself, be social and funny. Make her feel relaxed and all will work out well.

Catapharact
23-11-09, 13:45
Crap.

I totally forgot it was Thanksgiving this week, and I'm going to be with family....I've had to reschedule the date for NEXT Friday...

Well, at least I have an extra week to try to calm down a bit...

Hate to be a spoiled sport here bud but resheduling a first date is a VERY bad idea. You are playing with her feelings as much as yours.

Well since this is a blind date, I do want to ask you a question though:

How interested are you in going on a blind date? For that matter, since you don't know the girl at all, are you in anyway comfortable about going through this? Because if you are not comfortable, chances are, she is not going to be and it might spoil the date for both of you.

Ryu-Gi
24-11-09, 17:28
Hate to be a spoiled sport here bud but resheduling a first date is a VERY bad idea. You are playing with her feelings as much as yours.

Well since this is a blind date, I do want to ask you a question though:

How interested are you in going on a blind date? For that matter, since you don't know the girl at all, are you in anyway comfortable about going through this? Because if you are not comfortable, chances are, she is not going to be and it might spoil the date for both of you.

Actually the time I was supposed to meet her wasn't even fully finalized yet, and she hadn't been told yet as to the time we were actually going to meet, so technically this isn't really a reschedule when you think about it...