PDA

View Full Version : Rites of Marriage

MyRaider4Life
23-11-09, 01:13
Hello all,

I am doing a boring Religion assignment and one of the questions is to do with the Rites of Marriage and I dont have a clue what the rites of marriage are, could someone explain them or tell me what they are?

Thanks. :D

I feel so dumb.

Ryu-Gi
23-11-09, 01:14
Hello all,

I am doing a boring Religion assignment and one of the questions is to do with the Rites of Marriage and I dont have a clue what the rites of marriage are, could someone explain them or tell me what they are?

I feel so dumb.

Have you tried Googling it yet?

Catracoth
23-11-09, 01:14
I think they're the whole "through sickness and in health, till death do ye part" thing.

larafan25
23-11-09, 01:15
aren't they like ...about financial things when two people are married...health coverage and other atuff...what happens when someone dies.

I may be wrong though:)

MyRaider4Life
23-11-09, 01:24
Thanks guys, I am still confused with the whole thing but you made it easier. :)

Dark Lugia 2
23-11-09, 01:52
It depends on which religion really, and I think it mgith be about stuff like after a divorce what rights the wife gets because of the marriage... maybe :o

larafan25
23-11-09, 01:56
^woah thats true.

in some religions I believe that the husband can starve their wife for sex...or was that some place? or cultur? all I know is that I heard it on here:)

Encore
23-11-09, 01:57
Hello all,

I feel so dumb.

Rites (not rights!) of marriage are the traditions each religious culture has about how the wedding is made. Think the diferences between a christian and a hindu wedding, for example.

MyRaider4Life
23-11-09, 02:00
Rites (not rights!) of marriage are the traditions each religious culture has about how the wedding is made. Think the diferences between a christian and a hindu wedding, for example.

Thanks, and I am puzzled where I used rights. :p
I am doing the Christian Marriage to. :)

Encore
23-11-09, 02:01
Oh you didn't, but some members posted opinions about rites of marriage involving things like divorce, financial rights, etc. so I thought it was important to make that distinction. :)

larafan25
23-11-09, 02:04
^it was important because now I know that difference:)

anyways...

I guess you could compare two religious cerimonies(masacured)

like how one religion people get married in a church where another one people may get married in something else....

some people light one candle to nrepresent two flames burining as one...:D

MyRaider4Life
23-11-09, 02:07
Oh you didn't, but some members posted opinions about rites of marriage involving things like divorce, financial rights, etc. so I thought it was important to make that distinction. :)

Ah okay, silly people. :p

I have another question now, does anybody know what the Rules of Marriage or Rules of the Sacrament are?
I dont have a clue on that either. :o

Catapharact
23-11-09, 02:17
I have another question now, does anybody know what the Rules of Marriage or Rules of the Sacrament are?
I dont have a clue on that either. :o

The rites and rules of Sacrament are generally practiced in Catholisism and apply to whole slew of sacred procedures within the church.

In order to perform an act of Sacrament and it to be valid, you need the correct matter (objects), form (words), and minister (he or she that preforms the sacrament.)

In the case of Marriage, the matter is the vows, the form is the vows and the minister is/are the couple. The Priest is NOT the minister. He/She acts as a witness instead.

Encore
23-11-09, 02:19
I think the sacraments are the various traditions of christian religion. In the case of the marriage I supose it's probably the actual rules of the ceremony in order for it to be an "official" christian wedding.

Edit: nvm, Cat already answered.

MyRaider4Life
23-11-09, 02:33
In the case of Marriage, the matter is the vows, the form is the vows and the minister is/are the couple. The Priest is NOT the minister. He/She acts as a witness instead.

This sounds real but I dont really understand it that well. :(

Catapharact
23-11-09, 02:51
Well let me reword it then.

In order for any event to be officially recognized by the church as "valid" the rituals or rights on which are carried out have rules, procedures and objects. These rules, procedures, and objects are refered to as Sacraments.

All sacraments consist of three major components: matter (objects), form (words), and minister (he or she that preforms the procedure.)

In the case of marriage:

Matter is the marriage vows you take.
Form is also the marriage vows you take.
The minister is the couple who is being joined in Matramony.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
23-11-09, 03:29
I think they're the whole "through sickness and in health, till death do ye part" thing.

I think that would classify as vows...

Draco
23-11-09, 03:41
It is the ceremony where the advocate and at least one witness are present.