PDA

View Full Version : What Is Your Opinion On The Death Penalty- Serious Dicussion

shadow_fire
25-11-09, 10:29
Well I thought I would start a serious discussion, and these threads can often bring up some pretty intresting points of intrest and opinions.
I chose the death penalty beacause it is such a debatable topic, and I know some people are bound to feel strongly about the issue. So I wanna know your thorts about it..are you pro death penalty or against it and why.

Personally I am against the death penalty for many reasons.

First and formost, some people have this theory eye for an eye, if they take someones life away then they deserve to die too, which I think is wrong. I dont think that you should say a life for a life, beacuse that is bringing you down onto the murder's level, making you no better than that person.

And who are we anyway to be "playing God", like what right do we have to decided who lives and who dies? Not that I am saying that the murder should get away with...well murder, because I dont think that at all. I do believe that they should be punished.
I am also of the opinion that killing them off is like an easy way out, gives them an escape from the guilt, and with some its that guilt alone that can drive them crazy.

Personally I feel they should be locked away and we throw away the key, so that they can face upto what they have done.

Also, what if they are wrongly convicted of murder? it has happend before and is sure to happen again. It would just be a wasted life.

Legend of Lara
25-11-09, 10:48
Deliberate murder, any murder, be it humans or animals, should have the life sentence. Jailed. For life. Never to be released. Ever.
So, I pretty much agree with you.

Cochrane
25-11-09, 10:48
Ah, this topic again. I’m opposed to death penalty as well.

There are the usual issues of "wrongly convicted", and some extremely cold people on either side use money to justify their point of view, but to me, neither of these matter, nor should they matter.

It is a basic issue of human rights: We, as human beings, have the right to not be harmed in any way, including being killed. The exception is in self-defense situations, which are a very different issue altogether, though. This is a most basic freedom, and obviously does not allow for a death penalty.

I hear some people say that murderers willingly place themselves out of human society and stop being human, but this is wrong. Human rights are unalienable, even if you actually want to get rid of them (just like you can’t sell yourself into slavery, for example). This attribute is one of the very foundations of human rights. Their protection is something everyone has a right to. Denying it to some, no matter for what reason, cheapens them.

Yes, there are truly criminals bad enough that there is no obvious point in letting them live. I’ll be honest, I did not exactly get enraged about the execution of the Washington Sniper. But that does not change the fact that this is a violation of the bodily integrity, the most basic legal protection from the government that we have, and I would rather see the worst monsters sit in jail, alive, than have for a system where the government routinely and legally kills its citizens.

Edit: I'd like to point out that this also makes jailing for life with no option at all of release rather difficult. If we have to assume a criminal has a core of humanity remaining, as I think we have to unless we want to lose ours, then we have to accept the fact that under some circumstances, mercy may be in order. I am not saying, though, that we should release all murderers after a certain time. It should just not be ruled out in general.

Lara Croft!
25-11-09, 11:03
I know the arguments against death penalty are more...

-eye for an eye, doesn't offer reformation to the criminal, nor catharsis for the family of the victim
-Errors in judgment may send an innocent man in the "gallows"
-The people who work as executioners will have a terrible burden to carry, as they commit murder.

There are some crimes though, like raping and child molestation that in my opinion, deserve a bigger punishment and in different conditions from that of someone who has robbed a bank.
If for example someone has sexually abused a 3-year-old boy, prison is not enough. I would propose daily torture. So many freaks live off people's taxes and if they well behave, they may even take days off jail. That's unacceptable. People will go against what I'm saying as torture is against people's rights. But I believe that from the moment you decide to become a rapist, then you lose all your rights as a human being, you're no longer one.
If someone has mental issues (Cause the rapist may have been abused as a child as well) should go into the madhouse, where he.she would lose definitely their minds if they plead crazy to get off easily.

Icarus60
25-11-09, 11:32
Did you know that if you say that you are opposed to the death penalty when on jury service you are barred from being on the jury for a capital case? Way to stack the deck, Americans. That's about as fair as saying that only people who support Eidos can post on these forums ... hang on. Forget that last example.

Paddy
25-11-09, 11:45
Im 50-50 on the subject.
Im for the death penalty for, rape, serial killers who admit to no remorse( why waste prison cells on remorseless ****wits) at least for those who have shown remorse have to be punished with their very guilt.
But at the same time the fact innocent people do get killed makes me think death penalty shouldnt be applied unless an absolute last resort.
I doubt many will make sense of this jibberish but its my best effort to express my opinion :p

scoopy_loopy
25-11-09, 12:03
Im whole heartedly against the idea, most of my reasoning has already been stated in this thread.

tombofwinston
25-11-09, 15:45
Im 50-50 on the subject.
Im for the death penalty for, rape, serial killers who admit to no remorse( why waste prison cells on remorseless ****wits) at least for those who have shown remorse have to be punished with their very guilt.
But at the same time the fact innocent people do get killed makes me think death penalty shouldnt be applied unless an absolute last resort.
I doubt many will make sense of this jibberish but its my best effort to express my opinion :p

Very well put, Prison will only work on people who feel guilty on what they have done, Therefore death penalty could work well here; Even though I'm against all capital punishment, I just liked how you put the idea.

Beans-Bot
25-11-09, 15:50
Murder is murder. Killing someone because they killed someone else seems barbaric to me. I remember a saying by someone who's name slips my mind : "An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind." :wve:

Everyone has the right to life, no matter what they've done.

peeves
25-11-09, 15:52
I think the death penalty should be forbidden everywhere around the world so that the prisoner can be in prison forever til he dies and not being released. I'm also against the death penalty as well.

patriots88888
25-11-09, 16:00
Very well put, Prison will only work on people who feel guilty on what they have done, Therefore death penalty could work well here; Even though I'm against all capital punishment, I just liked how you put the idea.

And how do you propose we measure this guilt? Michael Vick says he's sorry for his part in the torturing and killing of those dogs. I still don't believe him though. How can we be certain of anyones remorse as genuine or not?

tombofwinston
25-11-09, 16:06
And how do you propose we measure this guilt? Michael Vick says he's sorry for his part in the torturing and killing of those dogs. I still don't believe him though. How can we be certain of anyones remorse as genuine or not?

You can't, thats why death penalty is not a good idea.

Lara's home
25-11-09, 16:17
I'm for it. Some crimes are unforgivable, no matter how much the person "regrets" doing it.

Dennis's Mom
25-11-09, 16:18
Murder is murder. Killing someone because they killed someone else seems barbaric to me. I remember a saying by someone who's name slips my mind : "An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind." :wve:

Just to put this Biblical quote into context, it was meant to stop "over-compensating" for wrongs. It was meant to put an end to "you steal my sheep, I steal your whole flock" kind of retribution.

The death penalty should go away. It costs more than life in prison and has a margin for error I'm unwilling to accept.

I do, however, confess to feeling like Pulitzer Prize winner Leonard Pitts on occasion. Reflections of the Execution of the D.C. Sniper (http://www.miamiherald.com/living/columnists/leonard-pitts/story/1333085.html)

da tomb raider!
25-11-09, 17:11
I support the death penalty. If someone has killed someone else (outside self-defence or a similar case, of course), then in most cases, I see no reason to keep them alive. Itís only fair. One may say that that would make you no better than the murderer themselves, but I disagree. Killing an innocent person isnít quite the same as killing a person as punishment, after all. They aren't on the same level. Of course, there are complications, such as convicting the wrong person, but I feel such complications are very rare.

Drone
25-11-09, 17:30
Death penalty ... I think I've already talked about that. But just one more thing if death penalties are to extinct I hope that there will be vigilantes. Period.

Mad Tony
25-11-09, 18:11
I'm for the death penalty for the most heinous of crimes. Of course, I believe the criminal should be 100% guilty before the death penalty is applied to them.

woody543
25-11-09, 18:55
Not believing in any sort of life after death I personally disagree with the death penalty, I feel that it is the easy way out, and could cause grief to the family. I definitley think they should be forced to live out their life in prison, and not a nice one either.

Chocola teapot
25-11-09, 18:59
Some criminals deserve the death sentence.

adventurerLara
25-11-09, 19:13
I'm on the fence on this subject. However, overall, I cannot foresee the death penalty having a common place within society in this day and age.

Reggie
25-11-09, 19:29
In cases of extreme crime (terrorism, cold blooded murder, multiple rapes etc) where the evidence is totally clear about who is responsible, then I think there's a justification for the death penalty but such cases would have to be dealt with very carefully to ensure that the sentence is being carried out for the right reasons and because of the way law works, this is not always the case. So as it stands, with the system we have, I'm against it. I don't trust institutions to know how to use it properly and so I think its wide open to corruption.

miss.haggard
25-11-09, 19:42
Plain and simple, and I may get bashed for it, but... A life for a life. If you cant do the time, dont do the crime.

Reckless Lara
25-11-09, 19:57
Well sure some might think it's cruel... To be honest I believe that always criminals and in general people that break the law should be forcely punished. Although I claim that there might be innocent people in prisons and don't deserve to die like that.

Moreover people should consider that no matter how many prisoners ended up suffering from death penalty, crime is still on the rise which means that criminals haven't been apprehensive or scared of the thought that they may on day become convicts.

So there is an aspect that death penalty is useless...

Aranara
25-11-09, 19:59
Death Penalty is no good. If you want to do something to Bin Laden, trial him and put him in a jail for life. Don't kill him. He killed hundreds but that doesn't give us the right to kill him.

Reggie
25-11-09, 20:00
Death Penalty is no good. If you want to do something to Bin Laden, trial him and put him in a jail for life. Don't kill him. He killed hundreds but that doesn't give us the right to kill him.
Why not?

Reckless Lara
25-11-09, 20:04
Why not?

Maybe Aranara thinks that it's cruel and no one has no right to deprive somebody's life... ( Just saying)

Aranara
25-11-09, 20:06
Maybe he thinks that it's cruel and no one has no right to deprive somebody's life... ( Just saying)

First of all, I am a SHE. And second of all you guessed. :D :ton:

shadow_fire
25-11-09, 20:08
I think the death penalty should be forbidden everywhere around the world so that the prisoner can be in prison forever til he dies and not being released. I'm also against the death penalty as well.

this is the alternative I agree with. They deserve to sit and rot in a tiny cell with only bread and water, thats all they need to survive...non of that fancy **** they have in prision these days with floor heating and so on
Lock em up and throw away the key. and they can work for their food...not the tax payer paying for them to eat. though Im not sure how exactly but something could be figured out.

shadow_fire
25-11-09, 20:10
Maybe Aranara thinks that it's cruel and no one has no right to deprive somebody's life... ( Just saying)
I agree whole heartedly with this one too

Reggie
25-11-09, 20:11
And I was just wondering. Though there is an argument that it is ethically cruel to leave someone like that alive. I suppose its all down to whether someone values justice or mercy more and even then some may argue that a life sentence is actually more just regardless of any display of mercy. Personally, I'd like to think people like Bin Laden who comes within those 'extreme cases' I mentioned would get the death penalty so as to absolutely ensure he is no longer able to be reponsible for such acts anymore. Life sentences don't last forever, at least not in this country and as I said before, I'm not actually a supporter of the death penalty within the current climate. Moreso I lean towards 'proper' life setences being carried out. It totally confuses me how murderers can be freed from prison.

Reckless Lara
25-11-09, 20:12
First of all, I am a SHE. And second of all you guessed. :D :ton:

Thats why I edited in my post and typed ''Aranara'' just to make sure. :p

shadow_fire
25-11-09, 20:16
And I was just wondering. Though there is an argument that it is ethically cruel to leave someone like that alive. I suppose its all down to whether someone values justice or mercy more and even then some may argue that a life sentence is actually more just regardless of any display of mercy. Personally, I'd like to think people like Bin Laden who comes within those 'extreme cases' I mentioned would get the death penalty so as to absolutely ensure he is no longer able to be reponsible for such acts anymore. Life sentences don't last forever, at least not in this country and as I said before, I'm not actually a supporter of the death penalty within the current climate. Moreso I lean towards 'proper' life setences being carried out. It totally confuses me how murderers can be freed from prison.

Me too, thats why I say again what I say before, let them be locked up in a cell and throw away the key, so that they stew in their own juices....or whatever

Reckless Lara
25-11-09, 20:19

I can totally understand what you are trying to say. I do agree with you in some points then. The justice system differs from each country and, like i said before no one has been better or crime rates have been reduced with the death penalty.

Cochrane
25-11-09, 20:29

What is the argument that it is ethically cruel to leave him alive? I can understand arguments that it may be a bad idea to do so (though I think that humanitarian concerns outweigh them, even in this case. You won't find me bashing his execution if it does happen, though), but a moral imperative to kill him? The only way I could imagine that is to make the victims and their families feel better. Criminal justice, though, is not about the victims, but about the crime against the entire society ó a society which, at least in the US's case, is bound by human rights.

Reggie
25-11-09, 20:43
Thanks for the responses, have read them and taken them onboard. Sorry if I rambled a bit in my last post. :o

What is the argument that it is ethically cruel to leave him alive? I can understand arguments that it may be a bad idea to do so (though I think that humanitarian concerns outweigh them, even in this case. You won't find me bashing his execution if it does happen, though), but a moral imperative to kill him? The only way I could imagine that is to make the victims and their families feel better. Criminal justice, though, is not about the victims, but about the crime against the entire society ó a society which, at least in the US's case, is bound by human rights.

Bin Laden is responsible for committing crimes against humanity. To put an end to that would be just whether its via a life long prison sentence or a lethal injection. As for your other point, I know what you're saying and while I have my reservations about what a society bound by human rights actually entails, I think its a discussion best left for another thread (could ramble on about it for a while :p). Probably not an adequete comeback in this debate - its been a long day.

HappyShannon
25-11-09, 22:47
Unless they do extreme crimes, put them in prison for life and throw away the key :D
A life with plenty of other criminals who've killed, attacked and more is a bad enough punishment. :)

Mad Tony
25-11-09, 22:54
Some criminals fear death more than life in prison. It really does vary on the person. I know if I murdered someone and was sentenced to 25 years in prison I'd take that over execution any day. The "death is the easy way out argument" can be used both for and against the death penalty.

EmeraldFields
25-11-09, 22:59
An eye for an eye, leaves the whole world blind.

Mad Tony
25-11-09, 23:01
Yes, yes, we've heard that quote more than enough times.

EmeraldFields
25-11-09, 23:03
Yes, yes, we've heard that quote more than enough times.

I didn't bother reading the thread. I'm too lazy.:p

Mad Tony
25-11-09, 23:06
I didn't bother reading the thread. I'm too lazy.:pNo, I just meant in general. Whenever anything about the death penalty appears that quote is always the first thing to come up. It's a good quote but it's repeated so much and some people think this one sentence trumps all arguments for the death penalty. :p

EmeraldFields
25-11-09, 23:07
No, I just meant in general. Whenever anything about the death penalty appears that quote is always the first thing to come up. It's a good quote but it's repeated so much and some people think this one sentence trumps all arguments for the death penalty. :p

I was going to write more, but this topic has come up so many times I figured that statement would have to suffice.:p

Love2Raid
25-11-09, 23:14
An eye for an eye, leaves the whole world blind.

I read that quote today, when I died in Modern Warfare II. :p
I think it's a great quote.

Anyway, I'm against death penalty as well. I know we all wish someone who has commited a terrible crime the worst death possible, as soon as possible. But what does it solve? Nothing. It only makes you just a terrible person as the criminal, you are basically commiting the same crime: taking someones life. Besides, it's the easy way out. The punishment should last longer, much longer.

Mad Tony
25-11-09, 23:16
Besides, it's the easy way out.Yeah but not always though.

Love2Raid
25-11-09, 23:21
Yeah but not always though.

Why not? They kill you and it's all over. Unless of course, you have to wait for decades...now that's punishment! :eek:

Mad Tony
25-11-09, 23:24
Why not? They kill you and it's all over. Unless of course, you have to wait for decades...now that's punishment! :eek:Because some criminals fear death more than sitting in a prison for 20 years.

Lavinder
25-11-09, 23:27
And who are we anyway to be "playing God", like what right do we have to decided who lives and who dies?

We should not have a right to decide, but we have the means to kill people.

It's quite depressing that most of the prisons are full of criminals, in an idealistic world, we would not have that many criminals.

Wana b like Lara
25-11-09, 23:31
I don't know if this has been mentioned but death penalty has beed banned in Russia for a longer period. Source. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8367831.stm)

I personally don't believe in death penalty. But then again i am thinking outside the box but pressed up agains it! :p

I believe that speniding life in prison is worse, that is the main reason i am agains it. You may think of me as a shallow, selfish, mean disgusting person but what's worse to feel than guilt? -- for life.

Also i don't believe in taking another persons life, much like shadow_fire in the opening post.

Love2Raid
25-11-09, 23:31
Because some criminals fear death more than sitting in a prison for 20 years.

Of course they do. Everyone is afraid of his/her death, only some more than others. It's just that I feel it's an easy way out.

I don't know if this has been mentioned but death penalty has beed banned in Russia for a longer period. Source. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8367831.stm)

I personally don't believe in death penalty. But then again i am thinking outside the box but pressed up agains it! :p

I believe that speniding life in prison is worse, that is the main reason i am agains it. You may think of me as a shallow, selfish, mean disgusting person but what's worse to feel than guilt? -- for life.

Also i don't believe in taking another persons life, much like shadow_fire in the opening post.
For this reason.

Lavinder
25-11-09, 23:33
I don't believe prisoners should have a television, gaming systems or anything of that sort! It really does my head it - also I think a life sentence should be what is says, 'life'.

Another thing which really bugs me is bad criminals being let out for good behaviour etc.

Cochrane
25-11-09, 23:43
I have to say, I hate the "it's the easy way out" argument (which has been quoted here I think at least three times so far) and the closely related "Lock them up and let them suffer" in all it's variations. Most people don't actually fear prison more than death. I certainly wouldn't. More importantly, it's not as if prison is meant to be torture in any way ó*the punishment is drastically reduced freedom, not enforced depression or something like that. Torture in such a form is something I reject for the same reasons I reject death penalty.

Death penalty and/or torture* can, in the end, only be justified if we see the criminal receiving it as something beneath us, less than a human being, less than any of us. To a certain degree, this is certainly true ó after all, I don't think many of those who read this forum are murderers. However, if they are truly, in a scientific way, different from us, then I would assume the condition that makes them harmful this would always be present, and some day (hopefully never, but for some sooner than others) be triggered.

That does not seem to be the case, though. Things like the Milgram experiment have proven pretty clearly that all of us are capable of becoming what we normally call monsters if the circumstances are right. Trying to deny that isn't helping. It only makes it more likely that we fall in the same trap. If we don't accept that we, too, can become murderers, then we may not notice when we're going down the slope until it's too late. But if we do accept that the murderes are not, essentially, different from us, then we can't disclaim them of their humanity. We can and should keep them locked away, as punishment, deterrent to others and to protect the society, but actually harming them won't do.

*) I think death penalty is just the ultimate form of torture.

Mad Tony
25-11-09, 23:44
I believe that speniding life in prison is worse, that is the main reason i am agains it. You may think of me as a shallow, selfish, mean disgusting person but what's worse to feel than guilt? -- for life.But not everyone thinks like this! I'd rather spend 20 years in prison and be out when I'm 36 than be executed.

I don't believe prisoners should have a television, gaming systems or anything of that sort! It really does my head it - also I think a life sentence should be what is says, 'life'.

Another thing which really bugs me is bad criminals being let out for good behaviour etc.Or murderers getting put in open prisons...

Lavinder
25-11-09, 23:45
But not everyone thinks like this! I'd rather spend 20 years in prison and be out when I'm 36 than be executed.

Or murderers getting put in open prisons...

Yeah - that is really terrible.

Uzi master
25-11-09, 23:48
overall I think here shouldn't be a death penalty, keeping someone in prison, whether they feel guilt or not, will be a punishment worse than death because they will die eventually anyway plus prison isn't exactly nice. but on the other hand why should the government/tax payers be paying to keep prisoners well and uh, fine?

Love2Raid
25-11-09, 23:58
overall I think here shouldn't be a death penalty, keeping someone in prison, whether they feel guilt or not, will be a punishment worse than death because they will die eventually anyway plus prison isn't exactly nice. but on the other hand why should the government/tax payers be paying to keep prisoners well and uh, fine?

That's another point. I personally have no problem with that, but all they should get is a roof over their head (just to keep them from escaping that is) and some food and water to stay alive. The primary needs of a human being. And they have to work for it, not just sit on their lazy butt.

Dark Lugia 2
25-11-09, 23:59
I wonder what idiot allowed prisoners to have TV's, game consoles... such a punishment, I'm sure they'll never break the law again. :rolleyes:

Mad Tony
26-11-09, 00:00
I wonder what idiot allowed prisoners to have TV's, game consoles... such a punishment, I'm sure they'll never break the law again. :rolleyes:Injustice secretary Jack Straw probably.

AmericanAssassin
26-11-09, 00:26
I support the death penalty 100% and truly believe that it should be used more often than it is today. That's all I have to say. :wve:

Uzi master
26-11-09, 00:30
may I ask you to elaborate on why you think that?

AmericanAssassin
26-11-09, 00:33
I believe that when the death penalty is used, the world is a better place. The scum of the earth are gone. Nothing could possibly sway me. ;)

TRhalloween
26-11-09, 00:34
I believe that when the death penalty is used, the world is a better place. The scum of the earth are gone. Nothing could possibly sway me. ;)

But they can't get you if they're in prison.

Uzi master
26-11-09, 00:35
okay, but if it weren't for scum, Australia wouldn't be were it is now, what I mean by that is it started out as criminals sent there by the british around the time of WW2

AmericanAssassin
26-11-09, 00:39
I don't know about the rest of the world, but the prisons here in America are already full enough, and we don't have an endless supply of money to keep building them. I'd rather them be dead than using my tax dollars. This is something I complete agree with the conservatives on.

Australia is what you described, I am aware. However, I don't really care. There are no more lost continents to dump prisoners on.

Uzi master
26-11-09, 00:40
okay, thats a nice full explination:)

EmeraldFields
26-11-09, 01:41
I don't know about the rest of the world, but the prisons here in America are already full enough, and we don't have an endless supply of money to keep building them. I'd rather them be dead than using my tax dollars. This is something I complete agree with the conservatives on.

Australia is what you described, I am aware. However, I don't really care. There are no more lost continents to dump prisoners on.

There is a reason for this...

In recent decades the U.S. has experienced a surge in its prison population, quadrupling since 1980, partially as a result of mandated sentences that came about during the "war on drugs." Violent crime and property crime have declined since the early 1990s

http://i48.************/2im9tg.jpg

:whi:

Catracoth
26-11-09, 01:42

Everyone has the right to life, no matter what they've done.

Martin Luther King Jr. Good Lord, how could you forget that?

Paddy
26-11-09, 02:40
I'm for the death penalty for the most heinous of crimes. Of course, I believe the criminal should be 100% guilty before the death penalty is applied to them.

You can't, thats why death penalty is not a good idea.

Agreed with both of these.

But they can't get you if they're in prison.

Lol people do break out of prison at times you know. It has happened a fair bit.

Lemmie
26-11-09, 03:20
I disagree with the death penalty completely. I don't agree that we need to kill people in penance for their crimes.

However I feel that life sentence should mean life sentence.

wantafanta
26-11-09, 03:31
1. It is not the job of the prosecting attorney to arrive at the truth. It is his job to win a conviction. This distinction is important.

2. The history of the US criminal court system if rife with prosecutorial and police misconduct - concealing evidence, relying on jailhouse snitches, coerced confessions, eyewitness misidentifications, sloppy lab work, etc.

3. Wealthy suspects (ala O.J. Simpson) almost never get the death penalty. They can afford quality lawyers that the typical detainee cannot.

If anyone thinks there are cases that are open and shut, or that the US court system if foolproof, they are kidding themselves and need to get a clue. My own city, Chicago, had a police commander who pointed pistols at suspects heads and played Russian roulette to get confessions. He put plastic typewriter covers over their heads to suffocate them. He used electric shocks. They all got convicted and put on death row. John Burge. Look it up if you think I'm kidding. Fortunately, our governor overturned their sentences.

Ikas90
26-11-09, 06:03
I'm for it. Some crimes are unforgivable, no matter how much the person "regrets" doing it.

I beg to differ.

Say that you murdered someone, accidentally or not, greatly regretting it either way. How would you like to not be forgiven?

If a person has no remorse whatsoever, then it's a different story. But I still wouldn't be in favour of the death penalty. It's a different story as in they should be fixed. Fixed, not killed.

I believe that everyone and anyone can be fixed.

Paddy
26-11-09, 06:45
I beg to differ.

Say that you murdered someone, accidentally or not, greatly regretting it either way. How would you like to not be forgiven?

If a person has no remorse whatsoever, then it's a different story. But I still wouldn't be in favour of the death penalty. It's a different story as in they should be fixed. Fixed, not killed.

Yeah thats true but once one has killed, they should never be allowed in society again, whether they can be fixed or not.

Ikas90
26-11-09, 06:53
Yeah thats true but once one has killed, they should never be allowed in society again, whether they can be fixed or not.

I say people deserve a chance. If they can be fixed and become a different person, their past shouldn't be held onto.

Paddy
26-11-09, 06:54
I say people deserve a chance.

Even killers?
They gave their victims no chance, sod the killers, let them rot away in jail.

Catracoth
26-11-09, 06:55

Really? Well, you ought to get a degree in psychology and "fix" Charles Manson and his followers.

Paddy
26-11-09, 06:59
I say people deserve a chance. If they can be fixed and become a different person, their past shouldn't be held onto.

I disagree still, the past will never be forgotton if someones family member got denied a future by some scumbag.

Ikas90
26-11-09, 07:00
Even killers?
They gave their victims no chance, sod the killers, let them rot away in jail.

Killers who are repentant, yes. As I said to Lara's home, try putting yourself in the same situation. You can't know the true extent of the pain until you've been there.

@Mason: If people cannot be fixed, then there is no God indeed.

Paddy
26-11-09, 07:03
Killers who are repentant, yes. As I said to Lara's home, try putting yourself in the same situation. You can't know the true extent of the pain until you've been there.

I just try to keep an open mind. :)

I dont see how open mind applies here, someone has been killed, if someone murders someone murder meaning deliberately killed, then no chance should be given, their chance at life was blown by taking a life of someone else.

Catracoth
26-11-09, 07:04
@Mason: If people cannot be fixed, then there is no God indeed.

Well I'm not religious, so I'm with you there.

Paddy
26-11-09, 07:05

Same here.
And FTR this is all just my opinion, dont take it as though Im stating facts or forcing it down peoples necks :)

Ikas90
26-11-09, 07:07

Well I am, and this is why I think the way I do.

Not putting it on anyone, I'm just sharing my opinion.

Paddy
26-11-09, 07:09
Well I am, and this is why I think the way I do.

Not putting it on anyone, I'm just sharing my opinion.

And I respect that man.

Mad Tony
26-11-09, 07:28
But they can't get you if they're in prison.Top mob bosses have been known to order hits on people while inside prison.

Cochrane
26-11-09, 08:25
Really? Well, you ought to get a degree in psychology and "fix" Charles Manson and his followers.

For what it's worth, some of his followers (e.g. Susan Atkins) did express severe regret about their deeds and changed their behavior drastically to make up for it. Whether they were 'fixed' is obviously open for debate, and in Atkins's case, parole was denied 17 times, but still, the externally visible change at least was very clearly there.

miss.haggard
17-12-09, 01:52
In response to the recent thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=162118), I must say that even though these things do happen, I still support the death penalty. It doesnt matter if we make a mistake, ultimately it is God who judges. I would like to hear what the girls family has to say about this.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
17-12-09, 01:54
If it were quick and simple, like in the old days, it might make more sense. But now the legal fees & court battles drag on for years, and usually lead to executing someone costing more than putting them away for life. There are enough things feeding on tax payers money as it is, so I'm a fan of whichever punishment is less of a drain on our infrastructure.

Eddie Haskell
17-12-09, 01:58
Totally and unequivocally against it.

Big Matt
17-12-09, 02:08
Ward Dragon has got to be the fastest gun in the west! The thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=162118) was closed before I could post my response so here it is:

If this individual is truly innocent then it is horrific that he has lost 28 years of his life. It would have been horrific if he'd been executed for a crime that he didn't commit.

As far as the "Yo death penalty fans" nonsense goes, I'm not a fan. There is no fanfare emanating from me when someone born as a human being must be exterminated because they refuse to act like one. Though I am not a fan of the death penalty, I do, however, support it in full. As unthinkable as this guy's story is, it does nothing to sway me, in any way, from my belief that capital punishment is a valid and very necessary component of the American legal system. Sorry, no cigar, Wantafanta.

dreamless
17-12-09, 02:13
I. It doesnt matter if we make a mistake, ultimately it is God who judges. .

It would matter to me, if i spent 28 years in prison for something i didn't do.

miss.haggard
17-12-09, 02:31
It would matter to me, if i spent 28 years in prison for something i didn't do.

:) K.

TRLegendLuver
17-12-09, 04:38
Completely and all for it. :)

Melonie Tomb Raider
17-12-09, 04:49
I'm all for the death penalty, and I'm sure most of you already knew that or at least could have guessed. :p

aquaflute
17-12-09, 05:05
I support death penalty, not because I think it will decrease criminal rate or anything like that. Some people just don't deserve even a second chance. that's what I believe.
To be frankly if I hate some certain people so much for what he has done, and he only get a few years in prison. I will go ahead and punish him myself, and what's the worst that can happen to me? A few years in prison. It's a fair trade.

wmcintosh
17-12-09, 05:26
A murderer doesn't give their victim a chance to live, yes to the death penalty.