PDA

View Full Version : Any Math geniouses here???

larafan25
30-11-09, 01:49
I think I spelt the title weong but whatever:p

so I have this question, well more like a basis upon which all my thinking has to involve.

I know what I have to do, just not how to do it.

example.

y=x2-7x+10

the 2 is a squared BTW.

the equation is in ax2 + bx + c form or equation.

I need to turn it into factored form.

factored form is y=(X+__) (X+__) a number goes in the blanks

so I am just usnure if I need to solve the equation or I need to pick it apart or what.

if there are any super smart people here who could show me how to do this so I can continue doing it, that would be awesome:)

freeze10108
30-11-09, 02:03
Ahhh factoring... I remember it fondly. It's actually pretty simple once you understan what you need to do.

You've learned to "F.O.I.L" right? Firsts, outsides, insides, lasts. What you need to do is take the quadratic you've been given and set it up so that when you FOIL, you'll get the same thing you were factoring. For example, x^2 + 3x + 2, would be factored to (x+2)(x+1), as when you foil it, you get x^2 + 2x + 1x + 2, which, when you've combined like terms, will give you the original equation: x^2 + 3x + 2. So, what you need to do is set up your factors to multiply out to what the original equation.

Your original equation was: x^2 - 7x + 10. You have the x part given to you in your factors, so all you have left to do is pick the factors of 10 that when mulitplied together equal 10 and when added equal -7.

See if you can do the problem now. :)
Oh, BTW, the "^" symbol is used when people can't make supersripts, and it basically means "to the power of". ;)

larafan25
30-11-09, 02:05
^you are amazing:O

thank you, I shall try this, I know it's right but sometimes I do things the wrong way:)

70 marks are saved!!!:D

BTW I did learn foil, such a great method:p

matrix54
30-11-09, 02:10
so it should be y = (x-5)(x-2)

am I wrong? I'm a little rusty :p

MattTR
30-11-09, 02:14
Not even going to look at that.. :vlol:

..But good luck! ;)

matrix54
30-11-09, 02:18
try it, math is fun :mis:

larafan25
30-11-09, 02:26
^math is far from fun:p

I am doing applied math so you do the same thing over and over again untill it's drilled into your head:p

Phys
30-11-09, 02:28
EUGH Factorising! The worst part of Maths for me ever! I have never been able to get my head round it. :mad:

MattTR
30-11-09, 02:29
try it, math is fun :mis:

Algebra is KILLING me in college.. :hea:

Not fun. :(

larafan25
30-11-09, 02:34
^what is college and university like?

I mean do you take manditory classes like in high school and then have your sepcialty classes that you want to get a degree in???:)

kthnxbai
^try university level calculus... it will be the death of me I swear...

Thing about factorising is, it's really not too bad once you practise it... It can sometimes take a while to get used to seeing what the constant can be broken up into, but the more of them you try, the easier it'll become

matrix54
Algebra... in college... :confused: I learned it twice, both in 9th and 11th grade, some in 8th, if not earlier. I hate it, as well. I got D's :p

anywho: if we both live in america, why are you learning it in college. why not in high school?

larafan25
30-11-09, 02:36
^I think they are learning a higher level of it in college.

different math lessons always come back to haunt you down the road.

whats worse is I think you require some serious math stuff for video game development.

matrix54
30-11-09, 02:38
how'd you know I wan...ted... are you stalking me :pi: meh, my trle life is hauting me. well, I'm good at math anyway :)

kthnxbai
30-11-09, 02:40
Oh trust me you do... I'm actually studying computer science at the mo, and we do algebra (the matrices kind... it's not so bad) and a lot of calculus for signal processing and the like...

And all I wanted to do was make pretty games but noooo...

Although, the logic behind all the maths really helps with coding I must admit.. hell, they actually give me a maths degree along with my other one because we do so much of it..

larafan25
30-11-09, 02:41
^interesting, so do you NEED to be a programmer or have that knowledge to become a developer?:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how'd you know I wan...ted... are you stalking me meh, my trle life is hauting me. well, I'm good at math anyway

I was actually reffering to myself:p

but figured you would be too seeing as your into the editor.

however I may have to resort to becoming a tomb raider if I cannot get my math skills upgraded:p

badfatt
30-11-09, 02:42
I just did it in my head, but I can't remember the "proper" method now and how I was actually supposed to write all the steps down neatly :) In fact it reminds me of the one question I never managed to answer, which is WHY it's worth even doing this? I suppose it's good brain exercise, but really splitting it up into two factors doesn't really tell anyone what y equals any more than the original equation did. It's just rearranging, not really solving anything.

larafan25
30-11-09, 02:44
^ya...I actually don't know when I am going to need to factor in my life...

factor then draw a parabola...:p

kthnxbai
30-11-09, 02:48
^interesting, so do you NEED to be a programmer or have that knowledge to become a developer?:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tbh I'm not completely sure...

I know of many self-taught programmers who do just fine and have jobs in the industry... but AFAIK, if you want to study game development or computer science of any kind at university level, you need a decent understanding of maths...At least you do here

And besides, it never hurts to be good at math... Very few people are, so it's a handy skill to have

larafan25
30-11-09, 02:51
^ya, I know the feeling when you do a certain math over and over again and you get it, then you have that for ever in your brain...but getting it in their is the hard part:p

I wonder if there are colleges for video game development instead of university...

matrix54
30-11-09, 02:55
yes, there are.

and I never knew so many people are so bad at math. oh, my. I'm different, I just learned the work, help everyone else in class and barely pass tests half the time.
Iff worse comes to worse, there always the pole, I'd say. That's when math REALLY comes in handy. tell me someone understood that joke

larafan25
30-11-09, 02:57
^do you mean becoming a stripper?:p

anyways I just don't understand math. I will need to see someone for extra help.

however I did recieve 91% on my last test.

matrix54
30-11-09, 03:02
solve this:
[3(2x+3x)] + (3x+5x)= [2(4x+x)] + (3x+4x)

what is "x" :pi:

Catracoth
30-11-09, 03:04
what is "x" :pi:

X is a variable. I win!

larafan25
30-11-09, 03:08
^lol

BTW the answer is 40:D

I'm totally wrong

Paperdoll
30-11-09, 03:11
1,35...?

*twiddles thumbs*

suli
30-11-09, 03:26
wow this threads really do sucks!!

OT: hmm my fails? I got kicked out of my uni cause I failed my math class three times in a row..how about that? :p

EDIT: oh sorry I wanted to post that in the fails math thread, wouldnt imagine we would had two math threads in a milion years! :p

Ikas90
30-11-09, 04:39
The most mathematical thing I've ever done, was work out the distance between 2 points on earth by their co-ordinates. :vlol: But I calculated the 'straight line' distance, not talking into account the curvature of the earth. :p

Maths can be fascinating sometimes.

EmeraldFields
30-11-09, 04:51
Now I know where to come for help on my AP Statistics homework!:D

aktrekker
30-11-09, 05:13
I just did it in my head, but I can't remember the "proper" method now and how I was actually supposed to write all the steps down neatly :) In fact it reminds me of the one question I never managed to answer, which is WHY it's worth even doing this? I suppose it's good brain exercise, but really splitting it up into two factors doesn't really tell anyone what y equals any more than the original equation did. It's just rearranging, not really solving anything.

I makes it easy to solve for the zero crossings of the curve.