PDA

View Full Version : What does popularity mean to you on a forum?

Quasimodo
30-11-09, 20:08
Occasionally when a new thread springs up like "guess that member" or "top 5 TRF members", you find some comments in there that say something to the effect of "Ugh, not another popularity contest."

Other times I'll read that some people feel that certain sections are clique-ish, but I haven't noticed much of it myself.

Why do you think some folks dislike popularity, like in the first example? Do you feel you have to be popular to get your posts noticed? Do you think there are cliques?

Above all, how does popularity affect your experience here at TRF?

Los Angeles
30-11-09, 20:09
:rolleyes:

I feel offended by this thread... lol Just kidding...

Well, I guess it's normal...

I just don't understand that you have to be a Crystal Dynamics Fan to be liked...

SamReeves
30-11-09, 20:10
If you have boobs, you're already popular.

Catracoth
30-11-09, 20:11
I don't really give two shrimps. It's a forum for heaven's sake. I don't really care if I'm a Regina George or a Cady Heron (pre-plastic stage). I shan't lose sleep at night. Hell, I haven't once even glanced at a "guess that member" thread or anything of the sort. Still, excellent point to bring up, Heather.

What's with you and the breasteses?

Laralissa
"Popularity" on an internet forum means zilch. Forums are a place to discuss (like this) so in those situations people shouldn't take bias based on who they prefer to others - which unless youve met someone in real life is impossible to do anyway (or at least impossible to do accurately) - like it or not, you will never truly know somebody you just talk to online. Everyone adapts certain personas online, nobody is ever quite as outspoken as they are on a forum. Kind of drifted from my original point, but basically, no.

Surohicko
Well i guess popularity is the same as real life :(

violentblossom
30-11-09, 20:13
nobody is ever quite as outspoken as they are on a forum.

I am. :cool: That sounds like bs I'm sure because no one will admit to the contrary anyway, but I dun care.

Dina_Croft
30-11-09, 20:14

I has them.

:mis:

Carbonek_0051
30-11-09, 20:14
I just don't understand that you have to be a Crystal Dynamics Fan to be liked...

You do?:confused:

Anyways, popularity on the forums to me? I don't see any cliques that I know of, and I don't really care if people are popular or not.:)

I'll judge people based on their posts and how the interact with people on the forums, not on how many people like them.:p So no, I don't feel you have to be popular to get noticed.:)

CarbonekWazHere

Drone
30-11-09, 20:15
Ugh, not another popularity thread.

Ok let's get serious. Good artists, innovators and just people who post interesting and new stuff will always be popular and I'm all for that. Friendly people also will always be popular. Of course there are always attention whores and I've noticed one or two cliques here and there.

tranniversary119
30-11-09, 20:16
I think if you want to be popular on this forum (or any forum) you have to contribute to it somehow (Moderator/Artist/Level Designer). I for one could care less, I sign on here to post my opinion on a certain topic or a discussion not be popular. It's a forum after all, not real life. Also, the greater the posts doesn't necessarily mean the person's more popular the majority of the time.

Larson_1988
I honestly couldn't care about how popular i am or not. It's an internet forum, not real life.

Los Angeles
Ok, I'm just kidding about the whole Crystal Dynamics thing, but anyways....

Wasn't there the same thread (even with the same name) a while ago here in Open Chat or was I just dreaming?

tombofwinston
You do?:confused:

Anyways, popularity on the forums to me? I don't see any cliques that I know of, and I don't really care if people are popular or not.:)

I'll judge people based on their posts and how the interact with people on the forums, not on how many people like them.:p So no, I don't feel you have to be popular to get noticed.:)

CarbonekWazHere

I completely agree.

Dina_Croft

Yeah because you are a popular one:mis:

msalpha2omega
30-11-09, 20:17
I don't think there are people that hate popularity, only people that are jealous for not being as popular as some other people. As for me, I always post in those threads, but only just for fun. I never saw a thread as a popularity contest. Oh, and I think that you don't have to be popular for people to notice your posts. If the post is correct or the poster says something I agree with, I notice it. If the post is pointless/not interesting, or simply I don't have anything to say about it, I don't notice it. IMO it has nothing to do with the poster, but with the post itself. But that's just my opinion and I respect not only those that agree with me, but also those that don't.:)

violentblossom
30-11-09, 20:18
I agree, Natezorz.

And for Christ's sake, can we for once leave subtle snipes at forum members out of a thread? :rolleyes:

(Not you, Nate.)

Quasimodo
30-11-09, 20:18
Good artists

Not necessarily. Sometimes the innovation or the art is more popular than the person who makes it, if that makes any sense :p

I think a big part of popularity is acknowledging others in discussion. If you just come to huff, snipe, and leave, you're gonna get a lot of "Whatever."-type reactions.

EmeraldFields
30-11-09, 20:19
Can we please name the cliques because I seriously cannot see them.:p

Catracoth
30-11-09, 20:20
Honestly, there's something to be said of someone who logs onto a forum just to bask in popularity.

Quasimodo

Or who the heck these so-called popular people are:p

NemesisX13X
I don't really give a **** about popularity, not on a forum, not at school, not at work, not on the internet, not with friends and public. It's all about living your life normally as a human being, respecting others and enjoying your life, not turning it into a contest of who is the coolest person with the most friends and money and clothes and all that crap. Strip them from all of that, and what do you get? They're just like everyone else. Being nice and understanding is what makes you a good person to have around, because of your loyalty and personality, not your money and fame.

Carbonek_0051
30-11-09, 20:21
Yeah because you are a popular one:mis:
I am?:p
I agree, Natezorz.

And for Christ's sake, can we for once leave subtle snipes at forum members out of a thread? :rolleyes:

(Not you, Nate.)
I founds me a new siggy.:D But I agree, this thread might do some good if people keep it clean.:tmb:

Same, I think it would be interesting to see. But at the same time, I think it would cause arguments if we called out specific members.:)

Natezorz

Drone
30-11-09, 20:22
Not necessarily. Sometimes the innovation or the art is more popular than the person who makes it, if that makes any sense :p

I think a big part of popularity is acknowledging others in discussion. If you just come to huff, snipe, and leave, you're gonna get a lot of "Whatever."-type reactions.

*nods* it does make sense. I just wanted to say that good innovations should always get a warm welcome.

Sometimes people can get a "whatever" reaction on good things. If one thinks differently it can cause problems. I've also noticed that someone can say some bs but a flock of people will call him intelligent or something, lol well you know human factor.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
30-11-09, 20:23
I'm rockin' it on and off the forum :ton:

But seriously... Doesn't matter to me.

violentblossom
30-11-09, 20:23
I'll name the cliques! :D (Just for fun, people.)

There's:

The Twitards

The Britgas

The Boobie Brigade

The Smarty Pantseses

The Artsy Farts

The Misfits

The Trolls

The Whiners

The Spammers

The Technical Dudes

And

The Nates (which coincidentally, has one member.)

Carbonek_0051
30-11-09, 20:25

:'(

I need more members.

I've wondered, were there any popularity issues a long time ago?

Natezorz

Phys
30-11-09, 20:26
I am?:p

You should try searching your username :p I wonder if it'd come up alot.

NemesisX13X
30-11-09, 20:28
I'm probably somewhere in the spammers, right? :pi:

Larson_1988
30-11-09, 20:29
I've wondered, were there any popularity issues a long time ago?

As a matter of fact it wasn't. It's only happened as of lately.

Carbonek_0051
You should try searching your username :p I wonder if it'd come up alot.

I googled it instead, and wow.:vlol:

Natezorz

viper456

And it wouldn't even have that 1 if he didn't make it over the border! Sneaky little dowg.

Carbonek_0051
30-11-09, 20:30
As a matter of fact it wasn't. It's only happened as of lately.
Weird, I wonder what caused all of it.:confused: I've never really understood all the fuss about it tbh.
And it wouldn't even have that 1 if he didn't make it over the border! Sneaky little dowg.
Si.

Natezorz

Lara's home
It's beyond annoying reading through all the posts where members are mentioning eachother, and posts a over 9000 "Thanks:hug::hug:" posts for people mentioning them. I also guess it's a guilty pleasure, because I can't stop doing it.
The part I hate most with threads like those are the people who go "Noone mentioning me?:(" and then someone mentions them, etc, etc.

But then again, I dislike a lot of the 'popular' members, so reading a thread dedicated to just throw out names and appreciation is just horrible to me. :p

violentblossom

He did it in a pinata, who is only a member on the weekends. Nate is so friggin' ungrateful. :(

Atlantean-Squid
30-11-09, 20:31

There's:

The Twitards

The Britgas

The Boobie Brigade

The Smarty Pantseses

The Artsy Farts

The Misfits

The Trolls

The Whiners

The Spammers

The Technical Dudes

And

Ooh, ooh, which one am I? :jmp:

Phys
30-11-09, 20:32
OH and popularity on this forum means absolutely nuthin to me :p

It means nothing, it does nothing, it doesn't affect me, it doesn't affect my posts, etc.

viper456
He did it in a pinata, who is only a member on the weekends. Nate is so friggin' ungrateful. :(

ci; but we are on to his little game!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/viper456/pinata_Zebra.jpg

Love2Raid

I think that only applies to women? :vlol:

Anyway, I do notice that some members here are of the 'ass-kissing' type, as I like to call it. Nothing personal, but I just don't like that a lot and I don't feel the need to do the same to get mentioned in those type of threads.

Other members are popular because they have been around for a long time, like to make many friends/are nice or because they have made big contributions to the forum. For example in the Level Editor section, the Art section, Modding, Tech Support etc etc. I think that's great and they have earned it.

Still, popularity level and the amount of 'contributions' (as I have explained above) don't always match and that bugs me sometimes. But is the 'real-life' society out there not the same? :)

violentblossom
Ooh, ooh, which one am I? :jmp:

I'd say a cross between a Smart Pantser and a Misfit. :pi:

ace_85
30-11-09, 20:33
Popularity doesn't really bother me much on the forum, just like it doesn't bother me much in my day-to-day life. I enjoy posting the occasional comment, chatting with the (admittedly few) people here that I know well, and updating threads that interest me. To be honest, I think I'd do those things even if no-one responded to my posts because, in some sense, it's therapeutic to simply get your opinions out there and share your thoughts on something

Scottlee
30-11-09, 20:33
To me making sure you're not 'unpopular' on a forum is far more important than being popular. Being popular can make you a target of jealousy. Somewhere in the middle is fine.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
30-11-09, 20:34

There's:

The Twitards

The Britgas

The Boobie Brigade

The Smarty Pantseses

The Artsy Farts

The Misfits

The Trolls

The Whiners

The Spammers

The Technical Dudes

And

Same here. I demand you lump me into a category :D!!

violentblossom
30-11-09, 20:35
Same here. I demand you lump me into a category :D!!

Misfit, somewhere between Keith and Nenya Awakens. :pi:

tombraiderluka
30-11-09, 20:35
There are cliques, it doesn't affect my experience at TRF though. Popularity on a forum means nothing if it's gained in the wrong way. I don't see any popular members here except from Rivendell who's taken a part himself in tombraiderchronicles, as long with some artists and ThatNorskChick for her funny videos :)

Catracoth
30-11-09, 20:36

Ahem, I believe that's my department as well as being a Twitard :whi:.

Phys
30-11-09, 20:37
I googled it instead, and wow.:vlol:

Natezorz

Oh jesus first 'Raider Man' and now 'Natezorz'.

New craze?! :(

CroftGameGirl

You can also be part of The Boobie Brigade :whi: :p

Atlantean-Squid
I'd say a cross between a Smart Pantser and a Misfit. :pi:

I'm in two cliques?

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Catracoth
30-11-09, 20:38
You can also be part of The Boobie Brigade :whi: :p

I vote to change the name to the Breasteses Bash.

Marianna12
30-11-09, 20:38
I guess I'm a Twitard and Britga:whi:

I don't really care about popularity, even in real life I don't.:)

violentblossom
30-11-09, 20:39

You don't get a clique, Mason, you aren't cool.

Truth hurts, don't it?

Mad Tony
30-11-09, 20:39
There's more cliques than that :p

Lavinder
30-11-09, 20:45
I don't know what popularity feels like - so I don't know what I'm missing so I'm happy as it am :p.

violentblossom
30-11-09, 20:46

Nuh uh.

tombraiderluka
30-11-09, 20:47
No there's just one clique :p

tranniversary119
30-11-09, 20:48
I have no idea where I fit into those cliques :p

Cloe Christina
30-11-09, 20:48

well then i should be REALLLLLLY popular :eek:
but that aint the case
no-one likes me :p

violentblossom
30-11-09, 20:50
Okay, fine. Moar cliques:

The Naysayers

The Political Police

The Game Threaders

The Smart Asses

Cam Whores

The Bible Belters

TombRaiderLover
30-11-09, 20:52
Popularity means a great deal to me on these forums. Every night I roll myself into a ball, suffocating myself by burying my face in a pillow, crying deeply over my lack of popularity on TRF. I only want one hug. :(

Reggie
30-11-09, 20:52
I feel like I fit into a few groups here, and I have friends here. That's all that matters. That's what popularity means me both online and offline.

tombraiderluka
30-11-09, 20:53
Popularity means a great deal to me on these forums. Every night I roll myself into a ball, suffocating myself by burying my face in a pillow, crying deeply over my lack of popularity on TRF. I only want one hug. :(
:hug:

Cloe Christina
30-11-09, 20:54

violentblossom
30-11-09, 20:55
I'm not giving you a hug. :ohn:

TombRaiderLover
30-11-09, 20:56
I'm not giving you a hug. :ohn:

I'm gonna pick every one of your petals. :ohn:

violentblossom
30-11-09, 20:57

You're dead to me.

Rai
30-11-09, 20:59
'm gonna pick every one of your petals.

^ saying as you do "She loves me,she loves me not." :p

I'm gonna be honest and say it is nice to know that people like me or more importantly, my posts, but I don't come here to be part of a popularity contest. I do find those threads like 'five fave members' slightly unnerving though. Admit it, most like a mention or two and if you're not, then you wonder. I have notice a few cliques too, but what's wrong with that.

Of course the general atmosphere around here is pretty friendly, so that is more important to how popular one is. As long as I can enjoy reading interesting thread topics and discussions that are civil, then I'm happy.

TombRaiderLover

You're dead to me.

My life is now a dark pit. *raises pillow to face*

Catracoth
You don't get a clique, Mason, you aren't cool.

Truth hurts, don't it?

Lmfao not really :p.

Mad Tony
30-11-09, 21:00
The Political PoliceLol, that's where I probably fit into :p

violentblossom
30-11-09, 21:00
Lmfao not really :p.

Okay, you can join The Nates. Be warned, though, he farts alot.

ace_85
30-11-09, 21:03
Okay, fine. Moar cliques:

The Naysayers

Finally - after all these years - I feel like I belong lol

Carbonek_0051
30-11-09, 21:03

Ew, wth. xD

Anyways, for all the people who "dislike" "popularity" I have a question - does it make you want to post less or does it just bug you? If so, why?

Natezorz

GameGlitcher77
30-11-09, 21:13
Ew, wth. xD

Anyways, for all the people who "dislike" "popularity" I have a question - does it make you want to post less or does it just bug you? If so, why?

Natezorz
Both :D :p

Because it's like high school all over again :mad: :hea: :cen:

tranniversary119
30-11-09, 21:16
Don't forget the true blood clique. I fit into that one :) Oh and the Angelina Jolie one, and that's about it :p

tombraiderluka
30-11-09, 21:16
Don't forget the true blood clique. I fit into that one :) Oh and the Angelina Jolie one, and that's about it :p
Well I don't think fans = cliques :D

tranniversary119
30-11-09, 21:20
Well I don't think fans = cliques :D

But the twilight group has one :( :p They're fans! Oh well, I fit in somewhere.

tombraiderluka
30-11-09, 21:23
But the twilight group has one :( :p They're fans! Oh well, I fit in somewhere.
You fit in TRF, that's one big clique :jmp: Alogn with a sub-clique xD

MiCkiZ88
30-11-09, 21:34
Nothing really. I'm just a person among others here and so are the popular people and elitists. I dont look at your post count nor at your friends list to decide how good you are. I value great posts above popularity.

Though I do have to admit that sometimes if you are not popular you do feel left outside. Someone can be a great artist, have very little posts and have only few views at his or hers thread, whilst someone who is a camera whore, popular among hundredts and posts regularly gets an amazing amount of views and posts in their art thread because.. just because. Above reason that leads to ass licking and trying to be popular.

Good friends last, and I am glad that I have few very good ones from these forums. But having good friends doesnt mean you are popular. A great difference between great friends and people who want to be your friends because of something that youve done or because a lot of people like you.

tranniversary119
30-11-09, 21:34
You fit in TRF, that's one big clique :jmp: Alogn with a sub-clique xD

True that's good enough :D not that I really care which clique I "fit" into, to clear that up :p

patriots88888
30-11-09, 21:37
Okay, seeing how nobody has the kahoonas to admit it:

What does popularity mean to you on a forum?

It means having people laugh at your jokes even when they aren't really funny. It begs the question: Are they laughing with you or at you?

ggctuk
30-11-09, 22:02

I've never been popular in my life offline, so I figure I'm not popular online. To me, popularity on a forum is rather pretensious - I've never relied upon, or needed it. So, it has no effect whatsoever on my experience here.

Eddie Haskell
30-11-09, 22:15
I burst out laughing when I read this thread title. What is this forum supposed to be, high school revisited? :vlol:

But in all seriousness, I come here to have serious conversations about this series and gaming in general. Certainly not to make friends or enemies (although I like everyone in here), and I for the most part do not engage in idle banter. But I imagine that there are many "popular" individuals, approved and accepted by their particular peer groups. It is only human nature after all.

Paddy
30-11-09, 22:18
Couldnt care less if I aint very popular on forums tbh.
Doesnt bother me either way. I am happy though if I get along with everyone which I do with most of you.

TRhalloween
30-11-09, 22:27

You're making that up.

Jo269976
30-11-09, 22:27
I don't give two hoots, and I'm being deadly serious. I've met some amazing people from here (one special person in particular) and quite frankly, all I need is a few people whom I have strong connections with. If I make other friends, then that's great, but as long as I speak and interact to those who matter most, and know that they also feel the same way, I'm just fine :tmb:

Popularity is irrelevant in my life, I've never been 'popular' and honestly, I don't see that as a con. :p

Nenya awakens
30-11-09, 22:29
Misfit, somewhere between Keith and Nenya Awakens. :pi:

We rockz!!

To be honest I don't really care if people like me or not, I'd rather just be honest in my posts then ass kiss. I come to this forum to chill out and speak to my friends, I don't always get on with everyone here because some people don't know when to shut the **** up and chill out. I've always been myself whether It's on a forum or with friends or with family.

Some people are just so fake and it shows. I'd don't care if I have 100 friends or 10 friends, as long as my friends are honest and true to themselves.

Psychos'Я'Us
30-11-09, 22:30
I don't give two hoots, and I'm being deadly serious. I've met some amazing people from here (one special person in particular) and quite frankly, all I need is a few people whom I have strong connections with. If I make other friends, then that's great, but as long as I speak and interact to those who matter most, and know that they also feel the same way, I'm just fine :tmb:

Popularity is irrelevant in my life, I've never been 'popular' and honestly, I don't see that as a con. :p

I feel exactly the same way =]

Draco
30-11-09, 22:40
I am the least popular member on the forum. That is an undisputed fact :)

So I suppose it means absolutely nothing to me.

CerebralAssassin
30-11-09, 22:45
to me making sure you're not 'unpopular' on a forum is far more important than being popular. Being popular can make you a target of jealousy. Somewhere in the middle is fine.

this.

Rai
30-11-09, 22:47

It's all lies he tells! :mad:

:p

Draco
30-11-09, 22:50
It's all lies he tells! :mad:

:p

Lol, I think we all know I'm not lying :p

tombraiderluka
30-11-09, 22:52
Lol, I think we all know I'm not lying :p
We do :)

Rai
30-11-09, 22:53
look mr long haired penguin in a suit, I'm a very honest person, so you are. That or you don't know yourself on this forum.:ton:

Hairhelmet12
30-11-09, 22:55
Honestly, I do think you have to be some what "Popular" to get your post noticed or something, or well, if there just filled with nonsense then i dont pay attention to them.

There are Clique's around here, i dont think i can name names or whatever but you notice them..

oh please get over yourself, i highly doubt your the Least popular member...

Siberian Tiger
30-11-09, 22:58
Popularity on an internet forum felt important to me a few years back when I was a lot younger, but now I'm older, I've grown up and no longer give a toss. I would revel in the fact that I was friends with other popular members of a particular forum and I gained notoriety for my conflicts with one moderator and scathing posts. I got praised for this and it all got to my head. So I look back on it and laugh because it's so childish and desperate.

Jo269976
30-11-09, 22:59
I think that people dont like the popularity thing is because there not to popular them selfs, im not being mean when i say that but its true, i can say im one of them.

Nah, the case is more of the 'I'd rather display my own personality than wear a mask to become socially accepted' ideal.

Mai
30-11-09, 23:00
Nothing. I don't post alot here anyway, so I don't really care.
I have noticed I get ignored from time to time here but blah, just a forum (:

Paddy
30-11-09, 23:02
If showing your own personality isnt popular with others well who gives a ****, just be yourself anyway. **** those who have a problem with it.

Thorir
I usually dislike popular people.

If they are popular, that's because they have nothing interesting to say.
I'm a misfit, and I like misfits.

Unfortunately, this is a very strict forum, so people can't be who they are. At least I can't. I always have to moderate myself.

Psychos'Я'Us
I think that people dont like the popularity thing is because there not to popular them selfs, im not being mean when i say that but its true, i can say im one of them.

Speak for yourself ;)
Most of the times(if not all the times) popularity here on TRF means kissing ass and I'm more than happy to pass on that.

Hairhelmet12
30-11-09, 23:04
^Yeah, im wrong on that, i feel embarrassed. lmao..

tampi
30-11-09, 23:22
Nothing really. I'm just a person among others here and so are the popular people and elitists. I dont look at your post count nor at your friends list to decide how good you are. I value great posts above popularity.

Though I do have to admit that sometimes if you are not popular you do feel left outside. Someone can be a great artist, have very little posts and have only few views at his or hers thread, whilst someone who is a camera whore, popular among hundredts and posts regularly gets an amazing amount of views and posts in their art thread because.. just because. Above reason that leads to ass licking and trying to be popular.

Good friends last, and I am glad that I have few very good ones from these forums. But having good friends doesnt mean you are popular. A great difference between great friends and people who want to be your friends because of something that youve done or because a lot of people like you.

lol you recently have a particular crusade against the elite. :DFrom the first time I saw you were talking on them I am hoping that you reveal some clues:D
Sometimes, I think I know who you mean.:pi:

We do :)

Me no :p

I usually dislike popular people.

If they are popular, that's because they have nothing interesting to say.
I'm a misfit, and I like misfits.

Unfortunately, this is a very strict forum, so people can't be who they are. At least I can't. I always have to moderate myself.

Thorir. You are popular for me. Many times I agree with you on your posts.
This time is not one of them.:p:hug:

"... popular, that's because they have nothing interesting to say .." ???

....mmmmm.... I'm not agree.:p
Interesting people can say interesting things.
The person reading is the judge.

On the other hand, if I change my avatar by Lady GAGA face with beard and hat of Santa Claus, will be popular? :cln::cln::D

Thorir
30-11-09, 23:27
On the other hand, if I change my avatar by Lady GAGA face with beard and hat of Santa Claus, will be popular? :cln::cln::D

That will definitely help your popularity among Lady Gaga fans, but I can't stand her, so not among me. ;)

Avatars of famous people go this and that way, I guess. :D
Some people love Madonna, others hate her!

I'm too old to judge people by their avatars, though.

tampi
30-11-09, 23:46
That will definitely help your popularity among Lady Gaga fans, but I can't stand her, so not among me. ;)

Avatars of famous people go this and that way, I guess. :D
Some people love Madonna, others hate her!

I'm too old to judge people by their avatars, though.

But you read! You do popular people when you read theirs posts.
If you read posts about certain people, and some posts seem correct to you on several times the same person, you do that person popular.

It's a bit messed explain it to me.:p:o

I don't know, I admit that I'm very lost at times on the forum.:D

larasbestm8
30-11-09, 23:49
Meh popularity doesn't bother me back in the real world, yet alone on forums.
Just as long as people don't hate me or get a grudge or anything like that, I'm fine with it.

Easygoing, that's me alright! :P

pekirock
30-11-09, 23:50
popularity on this forum would be for me to be known, and thats what im trying to do...:p

Squibbly
30-11-09, 23:51

There's:

The Twitards

The Britgas

The Boobie Brigade

The Smarty Pantseses

The Artsy Farts

The Misfits

The Trolls

The Whiners

The Spammers

The Technical Dudes

And

Where do I belong?? :p

Paddy
30-11-09, 23:53
I am in no cliques, no groups of best friends.proud of it
I am a lone solidier :p

violentblossom
30-11-09, 23:54
I am in no cliques, no groups of best friends.proud of it
I am a lone solidier :p

Not true, I consider you a good friend. :)

Paddy
30-11-09, 23:58
I try my best :p
But cheers, means a lot :)

Spong
30-11-09, 23:59
The Smarty Pantseses

The smarty what?

:'(

I need more members.

Can't believe you said that :eek:
And it looks even worse when quoted out of context like that :vlol:

Phys
30-11-09, 23:59
The smarty what?

Can't believe you said that :eek:
And it looks even worse when quoted out of context like that :vlol:

Omg Spong :vlol:

Nenya awakens
01-12-09, 00:02
Lmfao!

How many is to many?

Nerd For Life
01-12-09, 00:05
I don't care. I'm not gonna say I like everyone here, because it would be lying. I get along with people I want to get along with, I have people I like talking to here, and I'm fine this way. Respect me, and I'll respect you. I used to care, when I was younger, but those times are gone.

Squibbly
01-12-09, 00:06
I don't care. I'm not gonna say I like everyone here, because it would be lying. I get along with people I want to get along with, I have people I like talking to here, and I'm fine this way. Respect me, and I'll respect you. I used to care, when I was younger, but those times are gone.

Same pretty much. :)

Nerd For Life
01-12-09, 00:07
Same pretty much. :)

I love you. :hug:

Squibbly
01-12-09, 00:07

I love you tooooo. :hug: :gki:

Nenya awakens
01-12-09, 00:22

Well said, I agree :) :hug:

violentblossom
01-12-09, 01:14
Where do I belong?? :p

You're a Misfit, but that's because I'm greedy and refuse to share you!

The smarty what?

The Smart Pantseseses! You would know if you were one. :ohn:

Well said, honey pie. :gki:

Nerd For Life
01-12-09, 01:15
Don't you guys go all kissy-kissy on me, cuz I hate you all! :ohn: Except, I don't really.

*SQUEEZE* :hug:

Squibbly
01-12-09, 01:16
You're a Misfit, but that's because I'm greedy and refuse to share you!

Nenya awakens
01-12-09, 01:18
If there's a tranny clique i'll go for that one :p

Nerd For Life
01-12-09, 01:19
If there's a tranny clique i'll go for that one :p

I wouldn't approve of a tranny clique because you're clearly the best tranny in the universe, no contest needed.

larafan25
01-12-09, 01:21
means that my posts will be properly read and people will actually take something from what I say or that my posts are somewhat meaningful and not just spam:)

I pretty much like everyone on the forum, even my worst enemies and people who I find intollerable:)

LightningRider
01-12-09, 07:16
We all bow down to the Penguin anyway. :pi:

I think Popularity is another civil minded attempt at mockery. Really, does it even happen on the Internet aside from Youtube? :confused:

Anyway, I'm a total ***** in real life. :D

Paddy
01-12-09, 07:22
We all bow down to the Penguin anyway. :pi:

I think Popularity is another civil minded attempt at mockery. Really, does it even happen on the Internet aside from Youtube? :confused:

Anyway, I'm a total ***** in real life. :D

Speak for yourself :p

Another Lara
01-12-09, 08:11
Doesn't bother me much at all, as I've met the only person on here who could change my life for the better and I'm happy with that (jaywalker)! ;)

Although all the friends I've made on here are most definitely a bonus! :hug:

jaywalker
01-12-09, 08:35
I always find that forums aimed at a specific item, ie Tomb raider or Eidos games etc to spring up a very close group of people who will then subdivide into groups depending on their online social status (usually nothing like their offline persona).

As someone connected from the `other side` of the wall in those 2 examples i am the friend and enemy in equal measure. hated for doing something they dont like, but then the same person will love if do something they do like.. Most of the time its not personal as its aimed at the company but i am in the firing line etc.. however occasionally have been on receiving end of a personal attack. Being popular isnt important but being respected is.

Jack Croft
01-12-09, 08:42
I always find that forums aimed at a specific item, ie Tomb raider or Eidos games etc to spring up a very close group of people who will then subdivide into groups depending on their online social status (usually nothing like their offline persona).

As someone connected from the `other side` of the wall in those 2 examples i am the friend and enemy in equal measure. hated for doing something they dont like, but then the same person will love if do something they do like.. Most of the time its not personal as its aimed at the company but i am in the firing line etc.. however occasionally have been on receiving end of a personal attack. Being popular isnt important but being respected is.

I was about to reply to this thread, then I read your post and, yeah I completely agree.

Isnt it hard to define popular on the internet when all commnication is key strokes?

Ikas90
01-12-09, 09:03
I don't care. The friends that I've made on this forum are friends that are very important to me. If I'm liked by them, that is all that matters.

Johnnay
01-12-09, 09:05

You're dead to me.
:D

LOL:D

I don't care. The friends that I've made on this forum are friends that are very important to me. If I'm liked by them, that is all that matters.

This

the people who im friends with are good friends:D Loving and Caring too........ Like Saki here

disneyprincess20
01-12-09, 09:15
Everything, because I don't have it.

Archetype
01-12-09, 09:21
**** all

Drone
01-12-09, 09:24
Personality should mean more than popularity.

Icarus60
01-12-09, 10:11
Quasiraider threads are generally quite interesting

Zebra
01-12-09, 10:14
I think popularity is secondary. You of course don't want to be unpopular. But I don't really give a damn about how popular I am (I don't think I am at all :p).

Draco
01-12-09, 10:23
oh please get over yourself, i highly doubt your the Least popular member...

Considering how long I've been here and my post count, I'm not even close to popular. If anything people know who I am, but tend not to like me very much.

Johnnay
01-12-09, 10:56
Quasiraider threads are generally quite interesting

Quasimodo

and I think Draco is fine here not popular but in the middle
but he loves to troll;)

Paddy
01-12-09, 10:56
Quasimodo

and I think Draco is fine here not popular but in the middle
but he loves to troll;)

Thats his best feature :p

Ada the Mental
01-12-09, 11:31

I don't like you anymore. ;p

Ikas90
01-12-09, 11:50
I don't like you anymore. ;p

Who are you anyway? :confused:

:ton:

MattTR
01-12-09, 11:55
Popularity? Ew what's that.. :p

Well popularity on a forum is silly, wouldn't make sense the person who posts the post and talks to the most people is the most popular? Hmm. :pi:

I am forming the Larson Clique, anyone want to join me? :ohn:

Rai
01-12-09, 12:07
Yeah, I wanna!

TRhalloween
01-12-09, 12:08

I love you tooooo. :hug: :gki:

Mm mm, I like where this is going http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/afro.gif

MattTR
01-12-09, 12:18
Yeah, I wanna!

Oh wait, we already have one of those: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/group.php?groupid=29

Paddy
01-12-09, 12:31
Who are you anyway? :confused:

You not see the white text :p

CerebralAssassin
01-12-09, 13:16
You not see the white text :p

a funny thought just occurred to me...instead of the saying "you should read the fine print" for when reading contracts,the saying should say "you should read the white text". :vlol:

rowanlim
01-12-09, 14:55
Occasionally when a new thread springs up like "guess that member" or "top 5 TRF members", you find some comments in there that say something to the effect of "Ugh, not another popularity contest."

Other times I'll read that some people feel that certain sections are clique-ish, but I haven't noticed much of it myself.

Why do you think some folks dislike popularity, like in the first example? Do you feel you have to be popular to get your posts noticed? Do you think there are cliques?

Some people dislike popularity because it's a petty thing to be crazy about. I don't think I've to be popular to get my posts noticed. I'm sure there are cliques :p

Popularity doesn't affect my experience here at TRF. I admit initially I wanted to be popular but now having a close group of friends to talk to & to discuss stuff with is what really matters :)

Chocola teapot
01-12-09, 15:01
I Wouldn't really say it means too much, Its nice to be liked by people and have
alot of friends to talk to, but its not vital. :)

I Still don't think i've found my place on this forum yet.

Cloe Christina
01-12-09, 15:41
a funny thought just occurred to me...instead of the saying "you should read the fine print" for when reading contracts,the saying should say "you should read the white text". :vlol:

:vlol:
i like it :tmb:

I Wouldn't really say it means too much, Its nice to be liked by people and have
alot of friends to talk to, but its not vital. :)
I Still don't think i've found my place on this forum yet.

that's how i feel :/

Icarus60
01-12-09, 15:45
Popularity is a bit ephemeral IMO. Look at Jesus. One minute he's really popular (Palm Sunday) and the next minute people would rather see him nailed up on a cross instead of a real criminal. Ironically it was the same Jesus all the way through. If your feelings of worth depend on how popular you think you are then you've built a house on shaky ground.

Reggie
01-12-09, 15:52
^Absolutely, I think 'evanescent' is the perfect word to describe to describe popularity. Much better to build up a realiable group of friends who respect you...though even in Jesus' case he was screwed in that department given Judas' betrayal! Not sure what that says about my outlook. :p

Lara's Nemesis
01-12-09, 16:03
I see myself as a low profile member on here so popularity is not important. To be totally honest I couldn't really be bothered being popular anyway.:vlol: I have always seen myself as a bit of an outsider but at the end of the day am always true to myself which is far more important to me.

patriots88888
01-12-09, 16:27
Main Entry: pop·u·lar
Pronunciation: \ˈpä-pyə-lər\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin popularis, from populus the people, a people
Date: 1548
1 : of or relating to the general public
2 : suitable to the majority: as a : adapted to or indicative of the understanding and taste of the majority <a popular history of the war> b : suited to the means of the majority : inexpensive <sold at popular prices>
3 : frequently encountered or widely accepted <a popular theory>
4 : commonly liked or approved <a very popular girl>

According to the definition, because we have all been approved as members of this forum, we all have a certain aspect and sense of popularity. What really matters though, is that we're comfortable and content with ourselves, not how others might or might not see us. I know who I am.

Nenya awakens
01-12-09, 17:42
I wouldn't approve of a tranny clique because you're clearly the best tranny in the universe, no contest needed.

All my life I've waited to hear someone say that :hug:

ajrich17901
01-12-09, 17:46
It doesn't mean anything to me, just like In real life. People can either like or hate me, bottom line I don't really care. I made some great friends here, but bottom line I'm just here to discuss stuff like everyone else.

I don't care how popular someone is, I base them off how they post, and there attitude of course.