PDA

View Full Version : Gender divide?

Josh Raider
30-11-09, 22:59
Hey all, I was wondering if there was ever a study conducted on the gender divide when it come to players of the Tomb Raider series. I'm sure it's mostly male gamers but I know there are a lot of female gamers out there who enjoy the games as well.

I need this info for a Uni essay btw the way, in case anyone was wondering haha.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Mad Tony
30-11-09, 23:01
Seems like there's more of a sexuality divide than anything.

tranniversary119
30-11-09, 23:02

I've noticed this.

tombraiderluka
30-11-09, 23:03
I like girls who play TR :mis:

There are a lot of female players on this forum and I think it's almost equal to male fans :)

Thorir
30-11-09, 23:05
I think there has been something like this in the past.
If I remember correct, there was a tiny male minority.
But that was years ago, it might have changed now. :)

msalpha2omega
30-11-09, 23:06
There are a lot of girls on TRF, that's for sure. But there are also many more outside the forum world, I've seen many on youtube, and there are other forums about Tomb Raider, too....

Phys
30-11-09, 23:14

Absolutely! I didn't realise how many gay/bi people were fans of Tomb Raider until I joined this forum.

Dennis's Mom
30-11-09, 23:21
It would be difficult to gauge really since gender is self-reported.

I could really be Dennis's dad!

Thorir
30-11-09, 23:24
Absolutely! I didn't realise how many gay/bi people were fans of Tomb Raider until I joined this forum.

It's pretty big. Around 25/30% I'd think from all my years here. :p
This place is full of gays, lesbians and bisexuals. :p
Homophobes be aware!

But the gender scale should be pretty close to 50/50 now, I think. :)
We can be proud of that. Not many gaming communities attract girls.
Apart from the Nancy Drew games, maybe?

Mona Sax
30-11-09, 23:25
Could be inherent to TR or the internet... or both!

peeves
30-11-09, 23:28
Well it all depends which people play and like TR and which don't. I think there's more guys on here than there are girls.

tranniversary119
30-11-09, 23:28
I'm curious as to why there are so many bisexual/gay/lesbian fans for Tomb Raider...not that it's a bad thing it's just interesting.

msalpha2omega
30-11-09, 23:31
^The same reason there are so many girls fans I guess. It appears TR attracts all kinds of people......

TRhalloween
30-11-09, 23:31
I'm curious as to why there are so many bisexual/gay/lesbian fans for Tomb Raider...not that it's a bad thing it's just interesting.

Well if you put all the gay/bi people together in this forum, their probably going to outnumber the straight people.

patriots88888
30-11-09, 23:33

I have to admit I've been aware of this and always been curious about that myself. Not sure I want to open up that pandora's box though. It's risky to speculate on any possible connections with a game and one's sexuality. As Mona Sax has already stated, it might be more of an internet thing than anything to do with the game itself.

Thorir
30-11-09, 23:33
Could be inherent to TR or the internet... or both!

I don't know... There could be scientific studies about this!

My theory is that gay men love female icons. Feminists who play against the boys and win. Lara is one of those.

A strong female character. She does what she wants, and doesn't let any men get in her way. That sort of thing. I think it appeals to gay men, straight girls and lesbians alike. And to some straight men too. :)

Being female doesn't mean being weak and not doing things as well as a man. I think this is Lara's appeal. Chun Li has also always been VERY popular. The public needs some strong females who can kick ass!

TRhalloween
30-11-09, 23:37
I don't know... There could be scientific studies about this!

My theory is that gay men love female icons. Feminists who play against the boys and win. Lara is one of those.

A strong female character. She does what she wants, and doesn't let any men get in her way. That sort of thing. I think it appeals to gay men, straight girls and lesbians alike. And to some straight men too. :)

Being female doesn't mean being weak and not doing things as well as a man. I think this is Lara's appeal. Chun Li has also always been VERY popular. The public needs some strong females who can kick ass!
I disagree, I don't play TR for this reason. LGBT people don't need a separate reason to enjoy things. My sexuality isn't attached to my interests ... except from my interest in guys.

irjudd
30-11-09, 23:39
I don't think it's that the ratio of LGBT is more here than anywhere else. I just think that people talk about being LGB or T way more than those who are none of the above.

Thorir
30-11-09, 23:39
I disagree, I don't play TR for this reason. LGBT people don't need a separate reason to enjoy things. My sexuality isn't attached to my interests ... except from my interest in guys.

I didn't say everyone was the same. Madonna is a strong female/gay icon, but I can't stand her. :p

But for me, I LIKE strong female characters. :)

Mad Tony
30-11-09, 23:40
I like Tomb Raider because it's fun.

Lemmie
30-11-09, 23:46
Lara Croft is a total gay icon.

Interesting question, but I can't say I've ever thought about it that much.

scoopy_loopy
01-12-09, 02:20
Homophobes be aware!

But the gender scale should be pretty close to 50/50 now, I think. :)
We can be proud of that. Not many gaming communities attract girls.
Apart from the Nancy Drew games, maybe?

I think its something to do with Lara herself. We queers must subconsciously worship women with power :mis: Hence, Kylie, Britney, Madonna, Princess Diana... theyre all popular with the Queer community, 'cause they're Fierce. :tea:

larafan25
01-12-09, 02:31
^right? what is it, I have said this before but apparently all of you missed the post or thread:p

I've noticed this.

oh sweet jesus I am not the only one who notices!!!:O

I wonder why....

GameGlitcher77
01-12-09, 02:46
I was also surprised with how many female gamers were on here too. In fact I made a thread asking how many were here on TRF :vlol: :D ;) :)

Mona Sax
01-12-09, 18:25
I don't think it's that the ratio of LGBT is more here than anywhere else. I just think that people talk about being LGB or T way more than those who are none of the above.
I guess so, yeah. It's probably just more of an issue for LGBT people due to the prejudice and intolerance they often encounter. Still, I think there is a noticeable disparity in the percentage of non-straight people in real life and on TRF.

TRhalloween
01-12-09, 18:26
I think its something to do with Lara herself. We queers must subconsciously worship women with power :mis: Hence, Kylie, Britney, Madonna, Princess Diana... theyre all popular with the Queer community, 'cause they're Fierce. :tea:

I hope you're joking :p

Reggie
01-12-09, 18:28
Same. I had a weird kid crush on her when I was about 10/11 but then I grew out of that (would be weird if I didn't :p) and came to appreciate just how brilliant the game is or was.

AmericanAssassin
01-12-09, 19:02

I know, it's a bit odd. Not bad or anything, just odd. And interesting. I never would have thought that. I would have thought the opposite. :p

Me as well. I don't play because I want to bang Lara Croft. And I don't play because I want to be her. Two things TR fans are stereotyped for being. :pi:

Hey, I didn't even notice that both of my quotes were from the same person. :p