PDA

View Full Version : Favorite National Anthems

s2m6
01-12-09, 22:15
Today I was looking at the list of National Anthem's, and was supprised to find that every (or nearly every) counrty has own.
After listning to some of the ones I had never heard before, I was supprised at how good some of them were.
So I was thinking - what is your favorite national anthems.

Here are some of mine (in no particular order):

1. Israel' s national anthem - the first time I heard it, I was supprised at how beautiful this song was; its very sad - a haunting melody.

2. Russia's national anthem - an easily memorable song, and very easy to hum to one's self; listning to this one makes me smile.:)

3. India's national anthem - a definate break away from the more Western anthems' which made it stand out more to me. Although nearly impossible to whistle, its very good.

4. Canada's national anthem - another memorable one that is easy to hum; I like the melody.

5. Kenya's national anthem - one of the more lesser known ones; the melody's kind of unsual - I like that.:ton:

There were others I liked, but I cannot remember them off hand.

Which are your Favorite National Anthems?

Los Angeles
01-12-09, 22:16
Soviet National Anthem...

Trigger_happy
02-12-09, 04:37
Good old Save the Queen!

This is a very specific thread really.

Squibbly
02-12-09, 04:49
Aw, you mentioned the Canadian National Anthem. :hug:

I'll have to go with Canada's as well, just because that's really the only one I know other than the USA's anthem (which I had to play on the piano 38984309 times so I'm a little bit sick of it, lol).

ThatNorskChick
02-12-09, 05:00
^ Lol! Why did you have to play it a million times....in Canada?

Anyway, I like Finland's for some reason.

I got curious about Israel's, it's beautiful!

Squibbly
02-12-09, 05:09
^ Lol! Why did you have to play it a million times....in Canada?

Anyway, I like Finland's for some reason.

I got curious about Israel's, it's beautiful!

It was one of the exams I had, I dunno, don't ask me. :p

Ikas90
02-12-09, 05:10
I like the German, Finnish and Italian national anthems. :)

Brazilian one is good too. :tmb:

Haven't heard the Russian one yet.

Johnnay
02-12-09, 05:15
I dont like Australias one

thats all

Paddy
02-12-09, 05:27
I dont like Australias one

thats all

Neither do I tbh.

BlackRainbow
02-12-09, 06:43
Haven't heard that many actually... I like Russia's, Slovenia's, Great Britain's and Sweden's anthems.

scoopy_loopy
02-12-09, 06:52
Neither do I tbh.

What we have is better than waltzing bloody matilda.

Paddy
02-12-09, 06:54

Either way I never sing it, I usually pretend to by mouthing it. I dont give a damn if it sounds disrespectful, I dont have to sing to show I love my country.
Hated how in assemblies at school when most students didnt do it theyd make us sing it again :vlol: **** that.

Lara's Nemesis
02-12-09, 06:56
My favourite is the French anthem.

IHuvnGNKcnc

Can't stand the British anthem, it's such a dirge and I'm not a big fan of the Royal Family either.

Your_Envy*
02-12-09, 08:59
Montenegrian, Swedish and Slovene. :)

BlackRainbow
02-12-09, 09:01
Swedish
Awww! :hug:

Your_Envy*
02-12-09, 09:10
Slovenia's.

Awwww. :hug: I like yours so much, it has such an awesome lyrics. :cln:

BlackRainbow
02-12-09, 09:12
Awwww. :hug: I like yours so much, it has such an awesome lyrics. :cln:
:hug: Ya think? :cln: I've always considered the lyrics pretty weird and "old", but I guess almost every national anthem's lyrics are. :vlol:

Your_Envy*
02-12-09, 09:14
:hug: Ya think? :cln: I've always considered the lyrics pretty weird and "old", but I guess almost every national anthem's lyrics are. :vlol:

No way! :eek: It's amazing! The first part of Slovenian national anthem is about wine, so.. We're such an alcoholic people. :vlol: Naah, I am just kiddin' of course, but I am always making jokes of it. :D

BlackRainbow
02-12-09, 09:16
No way! :eek: It's amazing! The first part of Slovenian national anthem is about wine, so.. We're such an alcoholic people. :vlol: Naah, I am just kiddin' of course, but I am always making jokes of it. :D
:vlol: I still like the sound of it! :)

Jedd Fletcher
02-12-09, 11:29
I agree with you about Israel's national anthem, Hah Tikvah (The Hope). It is my favourite because of its sad, haunting melody that seems to embody the struggles that the nation has experienced.

digitizedboy
02-12-09, 11:31
The Sex Pistol's "God Save the Queen" should be our real national anthem.

Johnnay
02-12-09, 11:33

Waltzing Matlida is one childish song that i want to run away from..... and i mean it

Either way I never sing it, I usually pretend to by mouthing it. I dont give a damn if it sounds disrespectful, I dont have to sing to show I love my country.
Hated how in assemblies at school when most students didnt do it theyd make us sing it again :vlol: **** that.

hated assemblies in My school coz i have to hear the Australian Anthem every time......... except if the speakers damaged:mad:

Chocola teapot
02-12-09, 12:06
The greek one, because doesnt it have like 158 verses!?

LightningRider
02-12-09, 12:16
Ours of Course. It's the only one I know. :p

I like it's tone, and the lyrics are very... proud of our Country. :)

TRhalloween
02-12-09, 12:20
Our imaginary one :pi:

Chocola teapot
02-12-09, 12:27
It would have to be our jibberish one ofcorse.

Ah, Random jibberish! <3

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mâd,
Dros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.

Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.
Tra môr yn fur i'r bur hoff bau,
O bydded i'r hen iaith barhau.

Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,
Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd;
Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si
Ei nentydd, afonydd, i mi.

Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad tan ei droed,
Mae hen iaith y Cymry mor fyw ag erioed,
Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.

Lemmie
02-12-09, 12:39
Our imaginary one :pi:

Isn't it a toss up between 'Scotland the Brave' and 'Flower of Scotland'?

I also like the Marseillaise. :)

MiCkiZ88
02-12-09, 12:46
I'm surprised the finnish one is mentioned in this thread O.o

I could translate the lyrics is someone is interested.

Not my favorite choise for the anthem though, would've much preffered this one:

bJlvbFzo9fw

So much stronger, yet beautiful.

Andyroo
02-12-09, 13:00
My favorite is Australia's anthem, others I have heard just sound wierd to me.

Lara's Nemesis
02-12-09, 15:32
The Sex Pistol's "God Save the Queen" should be our real national anthem.

Good shout, that would be a big improvement.:D

Isn't it a toss up between 'Scotland the Brave' and 'Flower of Scotland'?

I also like the Marseillaise. :)

Out of the two I prefer Flower of Scotland although it is a bit of a plodder.

I was at the Scotland v Italy game a couple of years ago, the reation that "Loch Lomond" gets is pretty special. Maybe they should use that as our new anthem.

kOJ0Agdc0C0

Either that or The Proclaimers "500 miles":D

lV4HAAaSV00

Mad Tony
02-12-09, 16:00
The old German one is the best by far.

fnp-cgkFUCQ

As far as nationalist music goes, the Wehrmacht marching music (played famously in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) beats all. Ignore all the crappy Nazi imagery and listen to the awesome music.

hylbI1e2S14

I have to say though, our national anthem well and truly sucks.

patriots88888
02-12-09, 18:03
I really wish the US would switch to America The Beautiful! :) It's such a more beautiful song than The Star Spangled Banner which was set to the tune of an old British drinking song. :o

LINsNCaxZ5U

tonyme
02-12-09, 19:22
Hmm well the only one I really know is my country's and I love it, it's quite catchy :p

Dina_Croft
02-12-09, 19:31
Oh Canada,Oh Canada,Where Have You Gone My Friend?:whi:

Lol No Actually Greece's National Anthem beats them all:p

Lara Croft!
02-12-09, 21:51
I have heard some anthems, but none comes to my mind. The only one that I remember is America's because it's almost in every movie. ( I think that I see more times the American flag in a year than the Greek one. That proves I am a movie freak and that the Greek government and people should project their flag more. )

The greek one, because doesnt it have like 158 verses!?

Too bored to type, so I copied/pasted from wiki...

The Hymn to Liberty (Greek: Ὕμνος εἰς τὴν Ἐλευθερίαν, Ýmnos eis tīn Eleftherían) is a poem written by Dionýsios Solomós in 1823 that consists of 158 stanzas and is the longest Hymn in the world, set to music by Nikolaos Mantzaros. In 1865, the first two stanzas officially became the national anthem of Greece and later also that of the Republic of Cyprus.

For lyrics and more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_national_anthem

You can listen to it here. The pictures are paintings based on the events of the Greek resistance against the Ottoman oppressors in 1821.
lDTVFbTHB5w

Punaxe
03-12-09, 01:56
The old German one is the best by far.

(...)

Old? Isn't that still the German anthem?

I would've preferred if they picked the DDR's, actually:

svCSf6ZQp3w

Also love the European Union's:

EZ9lhoo8fZo

Also worth mentioning is my own country's, especially as it is the world's oldest anthem:

uIg9VaMBi9o

Mad Tony
03-12-09, 07:15
Old? Isn't that still the German anthem?The first two stanzas are hardly used now I believe. :(

Wait, they have a European Union anthem? Oh dear...

snork
03-12-09, 09:54
The first two stanzas are hardly used now I believe. :( And how does that affect the music, which you claimed was your reason for posting Nazi Crap ? **** ***!

That's Beethoven.

And how come it did not surprise me that you would not know the basics ?

--------------
my favourite ? I like the spanish one - no idiot lyrics.

Cochrane
03-12-09, 11:52
The first two stanzas are hardly used now I believe. :(

Yeah, "Germany, Germany above everything, above everything in the world" was not considered appropriate after WW2. I would have thought this was obvious, and frankly, I do find you posting the full version somewhat offensive (although not 100% surprising).

Old? Isn't that still the German anthem?

I would've preferred if they picked the DDR's, actually:

A suggestion a radio show once made: The melody of the western one with the text of the eastern. Didn't sound bad at all.

Mad Tony
03-12-09, 14:01
And how does that affect the music, which you claimed was your reason for posting Nazi Crap ? **** ***!It doesn't sound the same, and IMO not as good. No, the second one is the one with the Wehrmacht (not specifically Nazi) imagery. That has no words and it just an awesome tune IMO. The first video with the old German national anthem has nothing to do with Nazism. It goes back way before then. Like other things, the Nazis took an already existing thing and used it for their own purposes.

That's Beethoven.

And how come it did not surprise me that you would not know the basics ? What are you on about?

Yeah, "Germany, Germany above everything, above everything in the world" was not considered appropriate after WW2. I would have thought this was obvious, and frankly, I do find you posting the full version somewhat offensive (although not 100% surprising). Wait, why does it offend you? The song itself has nothing to do with the Nazis. I just like the anthem. I'm sorry for liking your old national anthem. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I don't mean this in a horrible way, but why are some Germans afraid of national pride?

Why don't you find it surprising?

Cochrane
03-12-09, 18:36
Wait, why does it offend you? The song itself has nothing to do with the Nazis. I just like the anthem. I'm sorry for liking your old national anthem. :rolleyes:
Are you trying to tell me that you regard national anthems without the context in which they were used? That just doesn't work. Yes, the story of the song varied a lot over the years, but especially the first stanza (which was all the Nazis used anyway) has a military, nationalist-at-the-expense-of-others connotation that dates back to the first world war already, and that was only reinforced by the later use under Hitler. The first stanza was an official symbol of the tyrannic regime and has to be seen as such.

The swastika was not originally meant as a symbol for tyranny either, but that's what it has ended up being. The first stanza of the Deutschlandlied is not as bad (and, unlike the swastika, not forbidden)

Oh, and I don't mean this in a horrible way, but why are some Germans afraid of national pride?
…because of our experience with it? Seems very obvious to me.

Why don't you find it surprising?
Because the text is written in a very straight nationalist, exceptionalist way. I do understand why that would appeal to you.

Mad Tony
03-12-09, 19:01
Are you trying to tell me that you regard national anthems without the context in which they were used? That just doesn't work. Yes, the story of the song varied a lot over the years, but especially the first stanza (which was all the Nazis used anyway) has a military, nationalist-at-the-expense-of-others connotation that dates back to the first world war already, and that was only reinforced by the later use under Hitler. The first stanza was an official symbol of the tyrannic regime and has to be seen as such.So just because the Nazis used it it makes it bad for anyone to use it or like it in future?

The first stanza is a symbol of old German imperialism. How can it be symbolic of the Nazi regime when it was invented and composed ages before that?

…because of our experience with it? Seems very obvious to me.Yeah but I get the impression that some Germans are afraid to even wave their national flag at a football game. There's absolutely nothing wrong with national pride and I think besides that one blip in history the Germans have nothing to be ashamed of.

Because the text is written in a very straight nationalist, exceptionalist way. I do understand why that would appeal to you.I'm no nationalist. To be perfectly honest I liked it before I even knew what the words meant.

Cochrane
03-12-09, 20:12
So just because the Nazis used it it makes it bad for anyone to use it or like it in future?
Yes, exactly. Now, I know that "the Nazis did/used/supported it, so it must be evil" is a wrong conclusion, generally speaking. However, here it is about an official symbol of state. It was meant to represent Germany ever since it became the national anthem after the first world war, and it was explicitly continued as such during the Nazi regime, a regime which also explicitly dropped many other symbols of the previous times (e.g. the black-red-gold flag or the third stanza of the song, which asks for unity, right and freedom).

The first stanza is a symbol of old German imperialism. How can it be symbolic of the Nazi regime when it was invented and composed ages before that?
First of all, it was meant as a symbol for german unification as one nation under one government (emperor at that time), which was quite a novel idea in the 1840s. As for imperialism, our true period of that was extremely brief and came later.

But how can it be a symbol? Because it was used as one. Most symbols don't get specifically created for what they are meant to represent. The melody to the song wasn't meant as a german symbol either to begin with, but rather comes from the Kaiserquartett, a song meant to celebrate the emperor of Austria (a country that was quite proud of it's independence from the rest of Germany in the 19th century). The meaning of symbols simply does shift over time, much like (to stay in context) it has done with the swastika. Or, to be more positive, the christian cross was never meant to represent Switzerland, and the swiss flag was never meant to represent humanitarian aid when shown with reversed colors, but that's exactly what happened.

Yeah but I get the impression that some Germans are afraid to even wave their national flag at a football game.
You probably weren't around during the 2006 Fifa World Cup, I guess? My personal opinion was that the best thing about it was how free the motorways were during the final games. I mean, I didn't even know that my car could reach 210 kph…

There's absolutely nothing wrong with national pride and I think besides that one blip in history the Germans have nothing to be ashamed of.
"Blip"? Yeah, right.

There is a level of national pride in the achievements we made after the second world war, which are not inconsiderable. It's not a good idea to sum up a look at the entire german history as "we're proud of that", though. There are good parts, but also others.

I'm no nationalist. To be perfectly honest I liked it before I even knew what the words meant.
Not? I always thought you were, what with your strict insistence on british sovereignty, limits on immigration and the like. I'm not saying a big mean scary nationalist, but something in the vague direction.

Mad Tony
03-12-09, 20:23
Yes, exactly. Now, I know that "the Nazis did/used/supported it, so it must be evil" is a wrong conclusion, generally speaking. However, here it is about an official symbol of state. It was meant to represent Germany ever since it became the national anthem after the first world war, and it was explicitly continued as such during the Nazi regime, a regime which also explicitly dropped many other symbols of the previous times (e.g. the black-red-gold flag or the third stanza of the song, which asks for unity, right and freedom).But the song itself really doesn't have anything to do with Nazism. I still don't know why you took offense. I like the song as a whole. Just because the Nazis hijacked it for their own use doesn't make it wrong to like it.

First of all, it was meant as a symbol for german unification as one nation under one government (emperor at that time), which was quite a novel idea in the 1840s. As for imperialism, our true period of that was extremely brief and came later.

But how can it be a symbol? Because it was used as one. Most symbols don't get specifically created for what they are meant to represent. The melody to the song wasn't meant as a german symbol either to begin with, but rather comes from the Kaiserquartett, a song meant to celebrate the emperor of Austria (a country that was quite proud of it's independence from the rest of Germany in the 19th century). The meaning of symbols simply does shift over time, much like (to stay in context) it has done with the swastika. Or, to be more positive, the christian cross was never meant to represent Switzerland, and the swiss flag was never meant to represent humanitarian aid when shown with reversed colors, but that's exactly what happened.Ok, my bad, I admit history before 1900-ish isn't exactly one of my strong points.

You probably weren't around during the 2006 Fifa World Cup, I guess? My personal opinion was that the best thing about it was how free the motorways were during the final games. I mean, I didn't even know that my car could reach 210 kph…Of course I was. I followed it avidly. However, I remember reading an article in the paper about how some people in Germany were very weary of the outflow of national pride many of the German people showed for their team in the world cup.

Not? I always thought you were, what with your strict insistence on british sovereignty, limits on immigration and the like. I'm not saying a big mean scary nationalist, but something in the vague direction.Nope, certainly not. We must protect our sovereignty not for nationalistic reasons, but simply because it's the best way for this country to be run and it would also be a disgrace to our ancestors who bravely fought for this country during WWII to simply give it up 70 or 80 years down the line.

Limits on immigration? Again, nothing to do with nationalism, it's just that we're full.

nielsen145
03-12-09, 20:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tudJFX3VRzY

the danish