PDA

View Full Version : How Legend could have been better

Phlip
02-12-09, 17:15
IMO, and this would be the story:

The story starts in Bolivia for no reason whatsoever. She’s just exploring. (Exactly how she starts off in TR2, 3 and in a way Legend because her friend Anya just tells her there’s a dais and that Lara might wanna check it out.)

At the end of the Bolivia levels she reads an inscription or finds out somehow some information on Excalibur’s Sword and the whereabouts of its pieces. She researches about it and finds that they are in Russia, Peru, Ghana, Japan and England. So you get to choose which order you get to play the game - just like TR3.

In Ghana, Lara finds out someone called Rutland has it, and he’s the enemy of that location. In Russia, an evil blonde called Amanda is behind that location’s piece. Same with Japan and Takamoto. England is the only location without a villain – the sea serpent is the boss for that location.

When she puts the pieces together she reads about the Ghalali Key which merges it together and that it’s in Nepal. So she goes to Nepal, when she puts the pieces together and merges the sword she has a vision within the glowing green light which tells her about an evil brood which consists of Takamoto, Rutland and Amanda. Lara goes back to Bolivia to the dais and finds all three of them. This level is a three-tier boss. Once she kills them she puts the Sword in the dais and discovers a time portal, but she decides to break it because man was not meant to mess with this sort of stuff. Either that or it breaks. Or you could come up with a better ending for when she puts the sword in the stone. :p Though it shouldn’t be cheesy. XD

These would be the levels:

1. Bolivian Markets
2. Mountaineering
3. Tiwinaku

4. Peru Valleys
5. The Temple (Lot’s of underwater stuff)
6. Excalibur’s Legacy (More of the temple)
7. Temple of Excalibur (Instead of finding a replica she find’s a piece)

8. The Hunt (Japan - Lara gets her weapons taken away, so some stealth for this level)
9. Rooftop Rampage (General rooftop progressing to Takamoto’s Offices, where near the middle Lara finds her backpack full of all the stuff she had previously)
10. Catching Takamoto (Breaking into his place – fighting and a boss battle with more rooftop stuff)

11. Ghana Rainforest (a general rainforest level)
12. The Dam (All the stuff that would have been in the deleted rainforest level, but without the mercs)
13. Grand Entrance (The Ghana level we got in Legend but without the mercs)
14. Hunting Rutland in Ghana (More Temple and then the boss fight)

15. The Base (Russia)
16. The Laboratory
17. Project Carbonek

18. King Arthur’s Museum (Expanded museum)
19. Discovery of the Grave (Expanded tomb of King Arthur)

20. Napoleon Ledges (Mountain climbing with caves and mini temples. A bit like the Pyramid levels of TR4 into one. The name of this level does not mean excessive climbing and shimmying)
21. Wreckage (We explore a big downed plain which blocks the entrance to the temple, and have to find another way in)
22. The Ghalali Temple

23. The Dais

This without excessive shimmying, randomly placed poles etc. with Classic, complex level design and good replay value. :D What do you think?

xXhayleyroxXx
02-12-09, 17:27
these are great ideas :) i loved legend though, such an amazing game xx

peeves
02-12-09, 17:36
That would be perfect. Here's my idea: Plot: Same with OP except that there are 5 different pieces excluding the ghalali key instead of only 4. The first level Bolivia would be the same as OP idea but level 2 would be Peru to find the first piece and face a boss called amanda's pet demon and after that level 3 in japan another piece with takamoto boss etc. then ghana with level 4 with rutland then kazakhstan level 5 with amanda then last but not least level 6 with england where you fight the sea serpent except when you kill the serpent you find another person inside that controlled the serpent and leaves next level 7 the ghalali key in nepal then last level level 8 where lara confronts the demon, takamoto, rutland, amanda, and the serpent person thus a quintuple boss then the same with OP's idea with the dais and portal.

Phlip
02-12-09, 17:49
A lot of the idea of this thread was to make the game longer - there should be about 2-4 levels per location.

Tony9595
02-12-09, 17:59
I would have loved that game! :tmb:

larafan25
03-12-09, 00:23
Plot wise it was great, it just was ruined by underworld and anniversaries plot.

they should have gone on with lara trying to find avalon
(king arthur version) and instead of including all those other random thins just had lara travel to like 2 new location and then the rest of the game be in avalon(traveling through tombs and caves to enter a portal) and once your in there everything is beautiful and then lara open a gate(really huge doors) and inside is horrible looking, there are bodies everywhere and crosses with names on them, there are also swarms of bugs and disease and super freaky creatures...

then lara shoots her mom off the cliff:)

Phlip
03-12-09, 00:59
Plot wise it was great, it just was ruined by underworld and anniversaries plot.

they should have gone on with lara trying to find avalon
(king arthur version) and instead of including all those other random thins just had lara travel to like 2 new location and then the rest of the game be in avalon(traveling through tombs and caves to enter a portal) and once your in there everything is beautiful and then lara open a gate(really huge doors) and inside is horrible looking, there are bodies everywhere and crosses with names on them, there are also swarms of bugs and disease and super freaky creatures...

then lara shoots her mom off the cliff:)

Yeah I like the idea of the last portion of the game is in Avalon, but definitely not cutting out most of the other locations. :) Variety is good.

gabrielorie
03-12-09, 01:55
underwater levels were always my favourite.it would have added the spice that legend needs:D.but is is a great game anyway.

Tagia
03-12-09, 04:30
I would have loved that game! :tmb:

Indeed.

Paddy
03-12-09, 05:25
these are great ideas :) i loved legend though, such an amazing game xx

Great game in general but not as a Tomb Raider game, that I agree with the majority who said that.

LightningRider
03-12-09, 08:48
My only quip is just keeping the Amanda plot still intact, I think it's great overall though. :)

tonyme
03-12-09, 08:58
That's a lovely concept for a game, I would have loved it. :tmb: Although I really enjoyed Legend, but hated all the silly boss fights, the motorcycle in Kazakhstan part and all the Lara-against-a-hundred-men gun fights and the shortness, oh the shortness...

LightningRider
03-12-09, 09:15
I could have waited till they got a good Motorcycle mechanics. :D

aussie500
03-12-09, 10:50
Why would there be an inscription anywhere showing where the fragments of Excalibur were? Arthur's knights took each fragment in different directions during the crusades and never returned to say where they had died, let alone leave an inscription in some foreign land they had never been. How would anyone from Bolivia know what happened to Arthur's knights? None of Arthur's Knights went to Bolivia as far as we know, so why would there be any inscriptions or information about Excalibur in Bolivia?

Its easy to take someone else's ideas rename levels and say your version would be better, but it sounds more like Lara would have flown through the levels even quicker. A good game needs a good story, Legend's story was good, this is not.

Rai
03-12-09, 11:50
I partly agree with aussie on this. It's all very well simplifying the story and imagining a couple of extra areas and giving 'level' names to existing areas and saying how much better and longer Legend 'could have been' when, ultimately it is still Legend as it stands with those extra bits. The story is too simplified and, as aussie points out, has questionable plot devices such as conveniently placed inscriptions that don't fit with the Arthurian Legend and then have Lara magically research the sword from Bolivia.

I do like the idea of the underwater temples though. Reminds me of the Artic Sea in TRU.

Yes, Legend was short, but your levels don't appear to lengthen the game too much and there is no purpose to them except to get to the end. Lara already knows so much right from the beginning. Dividing the existing areas into levels would only serve to make those 'levels' even shorter than they already are. You're not proving Legend 'could have been better' just by giving us a list of 'levels'.

And I like the Legend story as it is. But I also agree with Larafan, it was how it was continued that messed it all up, so the trilogy ends up feeling a bit messy.

Phlip
03-12-09, 13:00
It's not a proper well thought out story. And the extra levels would be great extensions to the locations themselves.

Icarus60
03-12-09, 13:11
I think they should have replaced Lara Croft with Indiana Jones.

gabrielorie
05-12-09, 17:30
I think they should have replaced Lara Croft with Indiana Jones.

why?

Catracoth
05-12-09, 23:56
IMO, and this would be the story:

I think that is the perfect story. That should have been Legend's plot entirely, as well as the mission layout to make the game longer and more enjoyable. And needless to say, we wouldn't have the whole "mother goes missing, Natla is behind it" deal that nearly everyone seems to hate (including myself as time goes on) which would have been phenomenal.

Excellent work, Phlip.

Ward Dragon
06-12-09, 03:08
I think Legend's story would have been good if it didn't involve her parents. So basically Lara would be exploring Bolivia for the hell of it, realize that Amanda might not be dead, and investigate that for its own sake. Then she finds out about Excalibur and Avalon, which is cool in its own right.

There was really no need for her mother to be motivation since the story already had enough going on with the Amanda and King Arthur plots, which should have been interesting enough by themselves to keep Lara's attention. The mother aspect only added an extra layer of complication to the plot which was needlessly shoe-horned into TRA and then clumsily tacked onto TRU. They should have just focused on Amanda instead, going into more depth about who she was and what she wanted. Even if they just had to have a personal motivation for Lara, finding out her old friend isn't really dead and now hates her should be more than enough personal motivation to find out what's going on.

I think Legend would have been a great game if they expanded upon the exploration and puzzle parts, got rid of the bike chases (at least get rid of the Kazakhstan one!), and had a lot less combat overall.

LightningRider
06-12-09, 03:21
I'd say keep the Bike, make it more like Underworld's. Kazakhstan involving moving around the different bases in the site. :D

Ward Dragon
06-12-09, 03:22
I'd say keep the Bike, make it more like Underworld's. Kazakhstan involving moving around the different bases in the site. :D

Okay, that might work :) What I mainly meant is that they shouldn't have an arcade-style one-way track that infinitely loops until all enemies are dead.

Paddy
06-12-09, 04:57
Okay, that might work :) What I mainly meant is that they shouldn't have an arcade-style one-way track that infinitely loops until all enemies are dead.

Yeah that was one of the many terrible parts of the bike sections.
The bike handling itself was bad too lol way too sensitive.

Vinkula
06-12-09, 11:53
Love this.

Dennis's Mom
06-12-09, 13:02
I don't think I would have had any problems with the story had the game been a good tomb raider game. But no amount of story changes would have made me enjoy an expanded version of Legend. It was just too wrong on too many integral gameplay elements for me to enjoy it.

The only way to improve Legend so I'll enjoy it would be to take "Tomb Raider" off the box. Only then would my expectations drop, and I would be able to enjoy that vacuous, little action game. :confused:

almayah
08-12-09, 11:32
Damn your ideas are good. And I WANT LARA'S ****ING BRAID BACK!!!