PDA

View Full Version : The US 'assumed' UK participation in Iraq, inquiry told

tlr online
03-12-09, 13:05
The US believed the UK would take part in the Iraq invasion even if there were no efforts to solve the crisis via the UN, the Chilcot inquiry has been told. Ex-defence chief Lord Boyce said the US assumed in September 2002 the UK would provide the maximum troops available. "No matter how many times" senior US officers were told UN efforts were necessary for UK involvement "there was a complete reluctance to believe it". Their attitude, he told the hearing, was "you have got to say that"

The inquiry has been looking into when military preparations for the invasion began and whether they made a diplomatic solution less likely.

Lord Boyce, the head of the armed forces in the run-up to the war, said UK officials began to "explore options" in the summer of 2002 for contributing to an invasion of Iraq.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8392344.stm

Jack Croft
03-12-09, 13:51
whether they made a diplomatic solution less likely

Well to an extent the whole invasion of Iraq etc has caused so much disturbance and terrosim, riots etc that we have had to send more in, USA had to send more in.

It seems to me like a never ending war and we are sending in soliders after solider.

But how do we know that it would be better if we didnt invade it? Should we have more trust in their government?

Icarus60
03-12-09, 13:57
The US assuming UK participation in something? I'm shocked, shocked.

Jack Croft
03-12-09, 14:01
If you can't beat them (USA) join them.

Andyroo
03-12-09, 14:06
If you can't beat them (USA) join them.

Some might say that about the Taliban. Not me of course, but some..... in the middle east...

Capt. Murphy
03-12-09, 14:12
Some might say that about the Taliban. Not me of course, but some..... in the middle east...

Like those that hate the great satan America and Israel. `:cool:' <--Devil Horns

Andyroo
03-12-09, 14:17
Like those that hate the great satan America and Israel. `:cool:' <--Devil Horns

Precisely, and the rest of the evil Westerners...