PDA

View Full Version : To own the TR series I would need to own....

Phlip
05-12-09, 18:32
The patents "Lara Croft" and "Tomb Raider" and nothing else, right?

lara c. fan
05-12-09, 18:34
And Eidos and square enix

Phlip
05-12-09, 18:35
They wouldn't come into it, it would be ME who has the TR and LC patents.

Nerd For Life
05-12-09, 18:36
What, you thinking about buying them?

Phlip
05-12-09, 18:38
Nah just hoping that when TR dies I'll be able to register the patents, but it's highly unlikely.

TRhalloween
05-12-09, 18:38
You're thinking of buying the rights to Tomb Raider so you can create you're own sequel to AoD? That's stupid.

Phlip
05-12-09, 18:39
You're thinking of buying the rights to Tomb Raider so you can create you're own sequel to AoD? That's stupid.

No, and even if I was it wouldn't be stupid.

TRhalloween
05-12-09, 18:44
You won't be able to register the patents. You're merely doing this out of spite for CD.

jackles
05-12-09, 19:03
You would need to be a very rich man.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
05-12-09, 19:15
You would need to be a very rich man.

Yeah that's what I was thinking... Did you just win the Lottery or something? I think a beach house in Hawaii would take priority :D

Catracoth
05-12-09, 19:18
With all respect, I don't think any 'ole commoner would be able to own the patents, especially since I'm pretty sure they'd cost more than Lara's manor would.

nielsen145
05-12-09, 19:22
let us start collecting money and save up for the pantents and rights to use TR and Lara Croft xD

Catracoth
05-12-09, 19:23
My money's tied to a better cause; food and necessities.

nielsen145
05-12-09, 19:24
it was a joke, even if we started, it will take forever to get the right amount of money, to could pull it off

Mokono
05-12-09, 19:26

Have you tried owning Toby Gard?

Catracoth
05-12-09, 19:30
it was a joke, even if we started, it will take forever to get the right amount of money, to could pull it off

Obviously. I was being facetious.

Lara Croft!
05-12-09, 19:40

Nothing else, but just those two are impossible to get, so...

Phlip
05-12-09, 21:27
Well what if it just eventually go so bad it pretty much completely died out in a decade?

AmericanAssassin
05-12-09, 21:32
Nah, Tomb Raider is the type of series that will keep re-inventing itself forever, I'd say. I don't see that ever happening. ;)

scoopy_loopy
05-12-09, 22:10
I doubt Eidos would allow the rights to be bought unless you had some company backing you actually willing to put them to use.

Unless you offered them a few million, of course - I suspect they would then cave (naturally).

moodydog
05-12-09, 22:15

what you could do is learn game design... make/start a huge company, become famous with loads of great original games, become lead designer/ manager of the games company, then shut down your company and then apply for a job as lead designer/ manager at Square enix europe, and take controll of TR :D

easy isnt itt :p :o

toxicraider
05-12-09, 22:17
what you could do is learn game design... make/start a huge company, become famous with loads of great original games, become lead designer/ manager of the games company, then shut down your company and then apply for a job as lead designer/ manager at Square enix europe, and take controll of TR :D

easy isnt itt :p :o

If you started the company yourself, then surely you would already be entitled to those positions :ton:

moodydog
05-12-09, 22:19
If you started the company yourself, then surely you would already be entitled to those positions :ton:

i did actually think about that... but meh.. might as well reinforce the idea for the second time i repeate the phrase :p

January_Snow*
05-12-09, 23:22
The simplest thing would be to buy Eidos, they have the rights to TR, well technicaly now you would have to buy Square Enix =))))))

Rai
05-12-09, 23:31
Well what if it just eventually go so bad it pretty much completely died out in a decade?

If Eidos were to say right now, that they're not making any more Tomb Raiders and if Eidos cease to exist - or rather Sqaure Enix Europe, then you'd have to wait 70 years before you can have the right to buy the patent. Or you can have loads and loads of money and try and buy Square Enix Europe out - if they're selling themselves that is.

Good luck with that :wve:

Admles
06-12-09, 06:35
A patent lasts 17 - 20 years, with the original patent being 15+ years, so they will no doubt renew it soon. Do you really think you can wait out for it to expire again?

Plus I'm sure there are other people out there who would want to buy it, people with reputation in the gaming industry, and would thus have an actual chance.