PDA

View Full Version : Folding@home

Sgt BOMBULOUS
05-12-09, 23:48
I looked for a similar thread on this subject and all I could find was a old thread from someone asking what it is. In any event, Folding at home is a distributed computing project (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_computing) heralded by Stanford University to study protein folding. Their website can be found here (http://folding.stanford.edu/).

How it effects you: By downloading a small, non-invasive program to your PC, you can help scientists and doctors study and help better understand diseases like cancer, Alzheimer's etc... I'm sure everyone here knows someone who has died from cancer at some point in their lives. Think of this as a way to contribute to a cure without having to get a Phd in molecular biology:D.

Users with high powered graphics cards can also play a huge role since they have a version that makes use of GPU power, which can be many times faster than a computers CPU when carrying out simple calculations. I'm not trying to sell anything here, but I can never know who has heard about this and who hasn't.

Thanks for reading :)

Squibbly
06-12-09, 00:02
I do this often on my PS3. :)

Sgt BOMBULOUS
06-12-09, 00:03
I do this often on my PS3. :)

Yeah one of their initial targets was the PS3. They basically have 3 versions, one for normal computer CPU's, one for GPU's and then for PS3, I forgot to mention that. :D

irjudd
06-12-09, 01:47
I support that you posted this.

(which equates to +2 immunity to lesser thread closure)

Romantics Inc.
06-12-09, 02:47
I support that you posted this.

(which equates to +2 immunity to lesser thread closure)

oh yeah?

Well my support gives a +3 bonus! >:3

Okay, I completed ONE project thing on my Folding@Home program on my PS3 :)

Ward Dragon
06-12-09, 02:56
I don't think this thread counts as soliciting because of this:

Who "owns" the results? What will happen to them?

Unlike other distributed computing projects, Folding@home is run by an academic institution (specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford University's Chemistry Department), which is a nonprofit institution dedicated to science research and education. We will not sell the data or make any money off of it. Moreover, we will make the data available for others to use.

This project is very interesting and I hope it makes progress towards understanding and curing diseases :tmb: