PDA

View Full Version : Cheerleader Gets A Flu Shot & Now She Can Only Walk Backwards

remote91
07-12-09, 18:25
mScGC7nFDxM

Admles
07-12-09, 18:26
I think this was already posted a few months ago

badboy70
07-12-09, 18:27
Go wobblegirl go!

pinklaralover
07-12-09, 18:28
She's stunning, and the fact that a flu shot can ruin her dreams, Is shocking.

Love2Raid
07-12-09, 18:31
If have seen this a while ago, is it real or just some anti-vaccination stunt? :confused:

AmericanAssassin
07-12-09, 18:32
That's disturbing and very sad. I hope something can be done to help her in the future. :(

Dark Lugia 2
07-12-09, 18:34
She's better now.

http://www.desireejennings.com/

AmericanAssassin
07-12-09, 18:36
I'm so glad. :) She's such a beautiful woman and it's good to know her entire life wasn't destroyed. :D

jackles
07-12-09, 18:41
Badboy70...that is utterly tasteless.

You never know how the body will react to drugs or stress. People suffering from shellshock in wwI also had their bodies react in the same sort of way.

badboy70
07-12-09, 18:44
Badboy70...that is utterly tasteless.

You never know how the body will react to drugs or stress. People suffering from shellshock in wwI also had their bodies react in the same sort of way.
Fine, will remove it.

It was just the zillionth spoof on dubstep music, and it reminded me of that.

Changeling
07-12-09, 18:46
Badboy07... that was just sad.

daventry
07-12-09, 18:46
This was posted before, but it got locked. :confused:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=160019&highlight=cheerleader

marla_biggs
07-12-09, 18:50
Wow... glad she is getting better.

omg at the other video! *tries not to laugh*

Rai
07-12-09, 19:00
Well I am glad she is getting treatment and is showing improvement.

tombraiderluka
07-12-09, 19:10
Dunno why I find this hard to believe :confused:

Mad Tony
07-12-09, 19:15
I bet Alex Jones had a field day with this.

jackles
07-12-09, 19:24
RRv56gsqkzs

If you look at these guys with shell shock you can see very similar movements.

SamReeves
07-12-09, 19:46
I view this skeptically. When an MD actually comes on and says she is afflicted with a condition, I'll believe it! Otherwise people love to be on TV. :whi:

lara c. fan
07-12-09, 20:02
I view this skeptically. When an MD actually comes on and says she is afflicted with a condition, I'll believe it! Otherwise people love to be on TV. :whi:

I agree with this :)

Larson_1988
07-12-09, 20:59
I took the H1N1 vaccineearlier today and now i'm partially paralyzed in my left arm and leg! :hea: Funny!

Dia2blo
07-12-09, 21:05

Yeah i don't want to sound too skeptical either but i'm really not sure i even believe this.

Changeling
07-12-09, 21:15
I don't see what's not to believe... they're not saying that it definitely was the Flu Shot, they're just speculating. It happened 10 days after she got it.

MattTR
07-12-09, 21:16
One reason why I will take my chances and not get those stupid flu shots.

I seem to be fine. :p

MadCroy101
07-12-09, 21:21
I feel so bad after watching that :(

Marianna12
07-12-09, 21:44
Oh Gosh, that's really sad:(
I'm glad she's better though:)

Rai
07-12-09, 22:09
For anyone interested, here is an explanation on Dystonia (http://www.dystonia.org.uk/AboutDystonia/), the condition Desiree was diagnosed with after her flu jab.

Seb_01225
07-12-09, 22:11
glad shes getting better :)

tranniversary119
07-12-09, 22:13
I believe it, and I'm glad she's getting better that's a relief :tmb:

Dark Lugia 2
07-12-09, 22:16
For anyone interested, here is an explanation on Dystonia (http://www.dystonia.org.uk/AboutDystonia/), the condition Desiree was diagnosed with after her flu jab.

I read that she could have had psychogenic dystonia, meaning it was all in her head. Not my own opinion btw, I've just head it was numerous times. I do admit though that I'm a bit skeptical that she recovered from diagnosed dystonia so quickly, without mentions of any major operations like inserting a pacemaker...

Evan C.
07-12-09, 22:39
Oh my god,this is so sad :(
I don't care if this is true or not,I only hope she can totally recover.

Dustie
07-12-09, 23:06
I read that she could have had psychogenic dystonia, meaning it was all in her head. Not my own opinion btw, I've just head it was numerous times. I do admit though that I'm a bit skeptical that she recovered from diagnosed dystonia so quickly, without mentions of any major operations like inserting a pacemaker...
It doesn't seem like she's fully recovered - she says in a video on her website that she was better now and a lot of things were coming back, which is a vague description.

trXD
07-12-09, 23:08
One reason why I will take my chances and not get those stupid flu shots.

I seem to be fine. :p
If this is real, there's a 1 in a 1000000 chance of it occuring. That is a HUGE number, you have a much better chance of Spontaneously combusting or getting struck by lightning three times.

Honestly, not getting a vaccine is just silly. Everything in the world has risks, its like not going in the bath because you could drown. In fact its worse than that, much more people drown in the bath than are seriously hurt by vaccines. Maybe it does slightly increase someone's risks for autism and stuff like that, but there are a million things throughout life that do the same. It also buggering protects you on a much huger scale than the risk.

Do the benefits outweigh the risks within a flu shot? Its the most rediculous question in the world.

[/rant]

Mad Tony
07-12-09, 23:10
If this is real, there's a 1 in a 1000000 chance of it occuring. That is a HUGE number, you have a much better chance of Spontaneously combusting or getting struck by lightning three times.

Honestly, not getting a vaccine is just silly. Everything in the world has risks, its like not going in the bath because you could drown. In fact its worse than that, much more people drown in the bath than are seriously hurt by vaccines. Maybe it does slightly increase someone's risks for autism and stuff like that, but there are a million things throughout life that do the same. It also buggering protects you on a much huger scale than the risk.

Do the benefits outweigh the risks within a flu shot? Its the most rediculous question in the world.

[/rant]I'm not gonna get the shot. Not because I'm worried this might happen or anything, I just don't need it.

Dark Lugia 2
07-12-09, 23:11
It doesn't seem like she's fully recovered - she says in a video on her website that she was better now and a lot of things were coming back, which is a vague description.

Yeah, like I said, I dont know too much about her :o o if it is a real case of dystonia then Im glad shes recovering, or has at least to the point that she was able to talk for that video.

SamReeves
07-12-09, 23:23

[/rant]

I agree. I get mine every year for the seasonal flu. The one year when the USA ran short of vaccine is when I didn't get a shot. The flu knocked me out for the better part of three weeks. I never want to repeat that again!

EmeraldFields
07-12-09, 23:25
I've never had the flu shot and since I've already had the swine flu there isn't a reason to.:p

Mad Tony
07-12-09, 23:25
I agree. I get mine every year for the seasonal flu. The one year when the USA ran short of vaccine is when I didn't get a shot. The flu knocked me out for the better part of three weeks. I never want to repeat that again!Lol, your story is the exact opposite of what happened to my grandfather. He never used to have the shot or the flu, and the one year he had the shot he got the flu. :p

Paddy
07-12-09, 23:26
Glad I dont take flu shots anymore.

Love2Raid
07-12-09, 23:31
Good to hear she got (partly?) better.

I don't see what's not to believe... they're not saying that it definitely was the Flu Shot, they're just speculating. It happened 10 days after she got it.

This case is very strange. It seems like she has some form of generalized dystonia. Very peculiar that she can walk backwards normally. If they have excluded all causes that can be excluded (like tumors or infections), then does this mean it was caused by the flu shot? Not necessarily.

Here in Holland a few children (of the thousands that got vaccinated) died after they got their H1N1 shot. Does this mean they died because of the vaccination? Most likely not. Sometimes though you will never find out. 'Post hoc ergo propter hoc' usually isn't the right way to think.

This shouldn't make people afraid of vaccinations. The chances of serious side-effects are way smaller than the chance of getting infected and potentially seriously ill. But I don't understand why someone who is in perfect health and young would get the flu shot in the first place?

trXD
07-12-09, 23:31
I'm not gonna get the shot. Not because I'm worried this might happen or anything, I just don't need it.
Do you really not need it? Or are you just one of those idiots who think they are too big and tough to get harmed by natural disease. Going into a sword fight without a sheild is stupid but at least it makes sense, its to do with honour, that person probably wants to fight without a shield to show that they can. But you cant fight against disease yourself most of the time, whatever happens in your immune system happens and theres nada you can do about it.

So just get a buggering flu shot.

Thorir
07-12-09, 23:35
10 days after the vaccine is too long for it to have been the cause. Intravenous injection only takes a few seconds and the side effects pass after 48 hours.
Very strange illness, though.

I just got the swine flu shot myself. I felt flu-like sick the evening and had a fever, headache and aching fingers and joints. Woke up feeling pretty bad the next day. But feel alright now. My arm feels exactly as if I had a bruise, but nothing is visible.

I've had the common flu enought times to know it sucks.

Mad Tony
07-12-09, 23:38
Do you really not need it? Or are you just one of those idiots who think they are too big and tough to get harmed by natural disease. Going into a sword fight without a sheild is stupid but at least it makes sense, its to do with honour, that person probably wants to fight without a shield to show that they can. But you cant fight against disease yourself most of the time, whatever happens in your immune system happens and theres nada you can do about it.

So just get a buggering flu shot.Not really, no. The mortality rate for swine flu is very low and those that have died from it have had underlying health conditions, which I do not have. Also, my step brother had it and it didn't affect him that badly at all, and he's not as healthy as me either. It's not like the shot guarantees you wont get it anyway.

If you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it. If you do get it, you've got no more of a chance dying from it than regular flu.

No, I wont. I see no point.

scion05
07-12-09, 23:44
I've had the swine flu vaccine due to asthma, and to be honest with you, I had NO side effects at all, just a very sore arm LOL.

trXD
07-12-09, 23:44
Not really, no. The mortality rate for swine flu is very low and those that have died from it have had underlying health conditions, which I do not have. Also, my step brother had it and it didn't affect him that badly at all, and he's not as healthy as me either. It's not like the shot guarantees you wont get it anyway.

If you're gonna get it, you're gonna get it.

No, I wont. I see no point.
"if your gonna get it, you're gonna get it"

Not if you take a shot.

Do you honestly think that you wouldnt care if you got swine flu. Its a horrible horrible thing and the morality rate certainly isnt all that low considering the diesease isnt even trying to kill you unlike AIDs and such. There is just no reason not to have it done, there is a miniscule risk with everything in this world, shots are just one of them. The roof could collapse on me at any second, im still keeping it though.

Its not like you need to get through an assault course, just take a needle in the arm. Its so depressing to see people not protecting themselves for no good reason.

scion05
07-12-09, 23:46
Exactly. Safe than sorry is a good code to live by.

Mad Tony
07-12-09, 23:47
"if your gonna get it, you're gonna get it"

Not if you take a shot.

Do you honestly think that you wouldnt care if you got swine flu. Its a horrible horrible thing and the morality rate certainly isnt all that low considering the diesease isnt even trying to kill you unlike AIDs and such. There is just no reason not to have it done, there is a miniscule risk with everything in this world, shots are just one of them. The roof could collapse on me at any second, im still keeping it though.

Its not like you need to get through an assault course, just take a needle in the arm. Its so depressing to see people not protecting themselves for no good reason.Just because you get the shot doesn't mean you definitely wont get it.

Of course I would care, but I wouldn't be fearing for my life. I hate being ill, but there's a chance of me getting it if I get the shot or not.

Lol, that's an odd thing to get depressed about.

Paddy
07-12-09, 23:50
Just because you get the shot doesn't mean you definitely wont get it.

Of course I would care, but I wouldn't be fearing for my life. I hate being ill, but there's a chance of me getting it if I get the shot or not.

Definitely doesnt mean you wont get it.

scion05
07-12-09, 23:50
But the chance is significantly lower if you do take the shot.

I just don't see what the big problem with having it is, it's not as if it's one of those injections that takes ages and hurts like hell, I literally didn't even think I'd had mine done until she said, you're done... 3 seconds after sitting down.

Paddy
07-12-09, 23:51
Ive not had the flu very often and I dont take shots, I last got it not long after having a flu shot.
Shots of any kind dont guarantee 100% protection.I dont trust any sort of immunisation shot anyway for my own reasons.

Mad Tony
07-12-09, 23:53
Definitely doesnt mean you wont get it.That's what I just said. :confused:

But the chance is significantly lower if you do take the shot.

I just don't see what the big problem with having it is, it's not as if it's one of those injections that takes ages and hurts like hell, I literally didn't even think I'd had mine done until she said, you're done... 3 seconds after sitting down.I think that depends entirely on the person. I've already given my grandfather an example of somebody who's had the flu as a result of a flu shot. The flu shots introduce a small sample of the virus to your system I believe.

Why do people keep bringing up the pain? The injection has got nothing to do with it. I've had plenty of injections before. They're really not a big deal.

Paddy
07-12-09, 23:54
That's what I just said. :confused:

I think that depends entirely on the person. I've already given my grandfather an example of somebody who's had the flu as a result of a flu shot.

Why do people keep bringing up the pain? The injection has got nothing to do with it. I've had plenty of injections before. They're really not a big deal.
I was agreeing :p

Squibbly
07-12-09, 23:56
To the people talking about the flu shot preventing the flu, or even causing it... I've only had the flu shot once, and I got SO sick with the flu after. It lasted two weeks and it was the sickest I've ever been in my life.

Mad Tony
07-12-09, 23:57
I just don't see the point in getting a flu shot when it doesn't guarantee anything anyway. With some people, it actually means that they're more likely to get it.

Love2Raid
07-12-09, 23:58
I just don't see the point in getting a flu shot when it doesn't guarantee anything anyway. With some people, it actually means that they're more likely to get it.

Where did you get that idea?! :confused:

Paddy
08-12-09, 00:00
From people who have just said they got the flu not long after a shot.
Shows in some cases its more likely to cause it.

trXD
08-12-09, 00:08
Just because you get the shot doesn't mean you definitely wont get it.

So you wont get the shot because their isnt a 100% chance of you not getting swine flu if you do? For god sake man, what kind of thinking is that? Its like not using a condom because their is a chance of getting pregnant/STD's anyway. Just because something isnt 100% effective doesnt make it obselete and its very dangerous to go through life thinking like that.

I dont actually get depressed about it obviously, then i would be really weird. "Its so depressing when" is a pretty common figure of speech. And its very understandable to be saddened by the thought of people not protecting themselves for no reason.

First of all thats extrememly rare
Second of all these cases are totally unreliable and random
Thirdly out of everyone who gets shots in the world the chance of getting protected by them is about 95% likely
Fourthly these could very easily be coincidences, out of everyone there is bound to be some people who got swine flu not long after the shot.

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 00:09

Who said that was the flu and not a side-effect of the vaccination (fever, cramps)?

Antibodies against the antigen are formed after weeks, so it could be possible that the person was not protected enough and was unlucky to get infected at the wrong time.

Anyway, it doesn't make any sense to me why a flu shot would cause the flu, since the shot doesn't contain the whole virus but mere particles of it which are harmless but just activate the immune reaction to form antibodies. This immune reaction can make you feel ill as well of course, which are then called 'side-effects', but you are not infected.

Paddy
08-12-09, 00:10
Youre right except for the small detail that some people like myself found it worse to get the shot, I got sick just after it.

Who said that was the flu and not a side-effect of the vaccination (fever, cramps)?

Antibodies against the antigen are formed after weeks, so it could be possible that the person was not protected enough and was unlucky to get infected at the wrong time.

Anyway, it doesn't make any sense to me why a flu shot would cause the flu, since the shot doesn't contain the whole virus but mere particles of it which are harmless but just activate the immune reaction to form antibodies. This immune reaction can make you feel ill as well of course, which are then called 'side-effects', but you are not infected.
I say it wasnt, the doctor said it wasnt because it was flu symptoms.
I was sick with the flu.
To each individual their own, I make my choice with the shots or not.

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 00:12
Where did you get that idea?! :confused:You can't cure the flu, that's why some people who have gotten flu shots before go on to get it anyway.

So you wont get the shot because their isnt a 100% chance of you not getting swine flu if you do? For god sake man, what kind of thinking is that? Its like not using a condom because their is a chance of getting pregnant/STD's anyway. Just because something isnt 100% effective doesnt make it obselete and its very dangerous to go through life thinking like that.

I dont actually get depressed about it obviously, then i would be really weird. "Its so depressing when" is a pretty common figure of speech. And its very understandable to be saddened by the thought of people not protecting themselves for no reason.In some cases it can cause it. Lol, now you're comparing it to using condoms? Using a condom significantly cuts down the chances of impregnating someone. With the swine flu shot, it can in some cases cause you to get the virus.

Seriously, you're acting like swine flu is any different from season flu. It's not. It's no more deadly or damaging.

EmeraldFields
08-12-09, 00:14
Seriously, you're acting like swine flu is any different from season flu. It's not. It's no more deadly or damaging.

I survived! I also was out of school for a week!:D

trXD
08-12-09, 00:14
In some cases it can cause it. Lol, now you're comparing it to using condoms? Using a condom significantly cuts down the chances of impregnating someone. With the swine flu shot, it can in some cases cause you to get the virus.

Condoms and flu shots are exactly the same in this respect:confused:

There are people who use condoms who have gotton pregnant aswell, doesnt mean that in some cases condoms increase the chance of pregnancy.

No swine flu isnt the worst thing in the world, but its still worth protecting yourself against.

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 00:15
Paddy:

That was bad timing (if it was indeed the flu and not a side-effect). :hug:
This doesn't mean it will happen again.

If you are in good health and not a senior citizen than you actually don't need the shot, because you can most likely deal with it yourself fast and it won't weaken you that much to make you prone to bacterial superinfections, which can be deadly.

Paddy
08-12-09, 00:15

Swine flu is nothing to fear, yeah its killed people but the normal flu has killed as well yet theres no panic about it.

That was bad timing (if it was indeed the flu and not a side-effect). :hug:
This doesn't mean it will happen again.

If you are in good health and not a senior citizen than you actually don't need the shot, because you can most likely deal with it yourself fast and it won't weaken you that much to make you prone to bacterial superinfections, which can be deadly.

Nah not bad timing, I dont usually get the flu, I get the cold yes but flu no.
I think the shot contributed to causing it.

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 00:18
Condoms and flu shots are exactly the same in this respect:confused:

There are people who use condoms who have gotton pregnant aswell, doesnt mean that in some cases condoms increase the chance of pregnancy.No, they're not.

Jeez, let me explain this again.

Using a condom significantly reduces the chances of you impregnating someone. That's a fact. Using a condom will only ever make it less likely. You have absolutely nothing to loose by using a condom.

Getting the swine flu jab may make it more likely for people to catch it as the vaccine contains small traces of the virus. This is not true in all cases, but it can happen. Therefore, getting the shot doesn't always make it less likely.

There's the difference.

I'm not getting the swine flu jab. I don't think I'm some sort of superman or anything but since I don't have any underlying health conditions and I have known people to have had it in the past and recovered fine, I see no reason for me to get the flu shot. I've been fine up until now, so I'm just gonna leave things how they are. If I do get swine flu, I'm sure it'll be unpleasant but it's not like I'm gonna die or anything.

Now stop attacking me.

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 00:23

We have a survivor amongst us! :yik:
You make it sound like it's Captain Trips lol. Glad to hear you recovered. :hug:

To everyone who is saying a shot against influenza can give you influenza: that is complete nonsense. Why would this risk be taken by giving it to physically weak people? But you can believe whatever you want, who am I to change who you are and what you believe in? :)

Paddy
08-12-09, 00:24
Its not complete nonsense though when people have said from experience that they have caught it after a shot :p
But I do believe what I want because I base that belief on something I experienced :p

Nenya awakens
08-12-09, 00:25
EDIT.

Never mind, you cant talk sense to some people.

trXD
08-12-09, 00:31
No, they're not.

Jeez, let me explain this again.

Using a condom significantly reduces the chances of you impregnating someone. That's a fact. Using a condom will only ever make it less likely. You have absolutely nothing to loose by using a condom.

Getting the swine flu jab may make it more likely for people to catch it as the vaccine contains small traces of the virus. This is not true in all cases, but it can happen. Therefore, getting the shot doesn't always make it less likely.

There's the difference.

I'm not getting the swine flu jab. I don't think I'm some sort of superman or anything but since I don't have any underlying health conditions and I have known people to have had it in the past and recovered fine, I see no reason for me to get the flu shot. I've been fine up until now, so I'm just gonna leave things how they are. If I do get swine flu, I'm sure it'll be unpleasant but it's not like I'm gonna die or anything.

Now stop attacking me.

At the end of the day people who receive this shot are much much MUCH more likely to be healthy. Im not talking individual cases because maybe their are some people whos chances increase, but that percentage is so low that this flu shot can be honestly recommended to anyone.

The benefits greatly outweigh the risks taking everyone into account mad tony, can you not see that? If 30 people have cancer and are given a cure, and then 1 dies anyway because the treatmenet didnt work for them, would you recommend it? I know you dont have the flu, but im talking about weighing the benefits and risks.

A person chosen at random is much MUCH more likely to be protected by the flu shot than to have side effects. Therefore this treatment can be recommended to anyone.

Thats the logic of it.

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 00:32
Its not complete nonsense though when people have said from experience that they have caught it after a shot :p

:hea:

Yes it is! (this reminds of this user here who has an avatar with 'yes it is, no it isn't :vlol:)

Do you know how a vaccine works? If you do, then you will realize it cannot cause the flu because it doesn't contain the whole virus!

I hope I don't sound all angry and like I'm attacking you personally. I just don't want this fable to be further spread.

Paddy
08-12-09, 00:33
For the record I never said there arent loads who benefit from shots, I was just pointing out there are those like myself who have had the opposite effect, it caused my last flu.
Thats what I was getting at :)

Yes it is! (this reminds of this user here who has an avatar with 'yes it is, no it isn't :vlol:)

Do you know how a vaccine works? If you do, then you will realize it cannot cause the flu because it doesn't contain the whole virus!

I hope I don't sound all angry and like I'm attacking you personally. I just don't want this fable to be further spread.

Lol I dont think youre attacking me personally :) I just really disagree with what you said is all.

trXD
08-12-09, 00:34

Im on your side, but doesnt a vaccine contain a miniscule amount of the virus to get your immune system used to protecting itself from it?

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 00:35
At the end of the day people who receive this shot are much much MUCH more likely to be healthy. Im not talking individual cases because maybe their are some people whos chances increase, but that percentage is so low that this flu shot can be honestly recommended to anyone.

The benefits greatly outweigh the risks taking everyone into account mad tony, can you not see that? If 30 people have cancer and are given a cure, and then 1 dies anyway because the treatmenet didnt work for them, would you recommend it? I know you dont have the flu, but im talking about weighing the benefits and risks.

A person chosen at random is much MUCH more likely to be protected by the flu shot than to have side effects. Therefore this treatment can be recommended to anyone.

Thats the logic of it.More healthy? Don't you mean less likely to get swine flu?

Where are you getting all of these numbers from anyway?

@Paddy: We might as well give up as we're only getting shouted down for having a different opinion on the matter.

Paddy
08-12-09, 00:35
More healthy? Don't you mean less likely to get swine flu?

@Paddy: We might as well give up as we're only getting shouted down for having a different opinion on the matter.

I dont expect anything less, I couldnt really care less, Ill just stick with my opinion, they stick with theirs.

Catapharact
08-12-09, 00:36
My wife has had trouble quashing fears amoung the ignorant idiots who think that the H1N1 flu is some "pharma plan" for world domination or the like, so let me explain to those morons as to how the flu shot ACTUALLY works.

A flu vaccine is usually made out of DEAD viral clustures and protien cases because your anti bodies need to recognize and identify these new clusters. If you haven't come in contact with the H1N1 strain, chances are you don't have immunity to it since the virual clusters have altered protien cases and your body has virtually no defense to them.

Does anyone remember the Influenza outbreaks of yester-years? Yeah, its no laughing matter. Do us all a favour and look at the numbers:

200,000,000 confirmed cases of H1N1 infections vs. 1/1000000 chance of getting dysteria from a needle *****.

Now use your own common sense on the matter and take the shot.

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 00:39
My wife has had trouble quashing fears amoung the ignorant idiots who think that the H1N1 flu is some "pharma plan" for world domination or the like, so let me explain to those morons as to how the flu shot ACTUALLY works.

A flu vaccine is usually made out of DEAD virual clustures and protien cases because your anti bodies need to recognize and identify these new clusters. If you haven't come in contact with the H1N1 strain, chances are you don't have immunity to it since the virual clusters have altered protien cases and your body has virtually no defense to them.

Does anyone remember the Influenza outbreaks of yester-years? Yeah, its no laughing matter. Do us all a favour and look at the numbers:

200,000,000 confirmed cases of H1N1 infections vs. 1/1000000 chance of getting dysteria from a needle *****.

Now use your own common sense on the matter and take the shot.Just to point out, Paddy and I aren't not getting the shot because of some dumb conspiracy.

Nenya awakens
08-12-09, 00:41
Now use your own common sense on the matter and take the shot.

Well said, I will be taking the shot as I have Asthma so it's apparently a priority to get it.

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 00:42
Im on your side, but doesnt a vaccine contain a miniscule amount of the virus to get your immune system used to protecting itself from it?

:hug:

WAR!!! >:O
:ton:

Yes it does, but as far as I know it just contains a small part to let the body create antibodies. This part won't make you get influenza because it isn't influenza. It's enough to make the body react to it and protect you from the real thing. You can see it as something that's inside a shell. The thing that's inside the shell is harmful, but the body recognizes it by the shell. When you take the harmful part out and only give the shell, the body will recognize it as harmful and start making antibodies, but you will not get sick because of the harmful part since that is missing. When the real threat comes by, the body will have a whole army ready. ;)

I hope that makes sense.

Edit: Oh, too late. :D

Nenya Awakens: :tmb:

Paddy
Just to point out, Paddy and I aren't not getting the shot because of some dumb conspiracy.

Exactly, we have our reasons for not doing so but not on the basis of a commonly spread conspiracy.

trXD
More healthy? Don't you mean less likely to get swine flu?

Yes that is what i meant:confused:

You can find information on "the numbers" in many places. Ask your doctor or even just go on a reliable source on the internet.

I dont mean to shoot you down, but you need to know this.

You = Generic person

Generic person = Someone who is much more likely to be helped by the vaccine than otherwise

Its simple maths skill to work out that on the face of it someone would be better off getting the vacine. Thats that. You have more of a chance of getting swine flu naturally than getting it through vaccine.

trXD
08-12-09, 00:45
:hug:

WAR!!! >:O
:ton:

Yes it does, but as far as I know it just contains a small part to let the body create antibodies. This part won't make you get influenza because it isn't influenza. It's enough to make the body react to it and protect you from the real thing. You can see it as something that's inside a shell. The thing that's inside the shell is harmful, but the body recognizes it by the shell. When you take the harmful part out and only give the shell, the body will recognize it as harmful and start making antibodies, but you will not get sick because of the harmful part since that is missing. When the real threat comes by, the body will have a whole army ready. ;)

I hope that makes sense.

Science is interesting:D

Yes i was thinking that, i didnt think it was worth saying that the virus is so small that there is practically no chance of it not being destroyed instantly unless all your cells are dead. Because i thought someone would come up at me with "there is a small chance though, it is a virus after all". :o

Edit: Bugger, double post. Sorry.

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 00:46
Well said, I will be taking the shot as I have Asthma so it's apparently a priority to get it.I don't have anything like that, so it doesn't really matter if I get the shot or not. :)

Yes that is what i meant:confused:

You can find information on "the numbers" in many places. Ask your doctor or even just go on a reliable source on the internet.

I dont mean to shoot you down, but you need to know this.

You = Generic person

Generic person = Someone who is much more likely to be helped by the vaccine than otherwise

Its simple maths skill to work out that on the face of it someone would be better off getting the vacine. Thats that. You have more of a chance of getting swine flu naturally than getting it through vaccine.But why get it when I don't really need to?

Look, I'M NOT GOING TO GET THE VACCINE. Get over it.

Phlip
08-12-09, 00:46
Go wobblegirl go!

I hope you get this problem.

Catracoth
08-12-09, 00:59
I think this was already posted a few months ago

I do remember seeing the same title a few months back.

trXD
08-12-09, 01:02
But why get it when I don't really need to?

Look, I'M NOT GOING TO GET THE VACCINE. Get over it.

You dont "need" it of course. Back to condoms, people dont "need" to wear it, thats wrong wording.

It's not really a "get over it" situation. Honestly i dont really care that much if you get the vaccine or not, you probably wont get it anyway, but everyone needs to know the chances.

You've put your foot down about this, which is just silly.

irjudd
08-12-09, 01:04
You couldn't pay me to get a flu vaccine. Well, you could, but I'd want payment first so I could take it and run away while still avoiding the vaccination.

Paddy
08-12-09, 01:04
He knows the chances as do I but simply put, we got our views and choices on what we do regarding shots, I respect other peoples choices, people should do the same for me.

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 01:05
You dont "need" it of course. Back to condoms, people dont "need" to wear it, thats wrong wording.

It's not really a "get over it" situation. Honestly i dont really care that much if you get the vaccine or not, you probably wont get it anyway, but everyone needs to know the chances.

You've put your foot down about this, which is just silly.Yeah, except condoms are different.

So have you.

You couldn't pay me to get a flu vaccine. Well, you could, but I'd want payment first so I could take it and run away while still avoiding the vaccination.He doesn't want the vaccine! Let's all attack him!!!!

:p

Ward Dragon
08-12-09, 01:05

It is entirely possible to get sick from a flu vaccine. First of all, it is always possible to have an allergic reaction to it even if it is a dead virus. Secondly, some versions of flu vaccine use a live virus which has been weakened substantially but can still make people sick especially if they have a weakened immune system.

From Wikipedia (which matches what I learned in my virology class):

Side effects

Side effects of the inactivated/dead flu vaccine injection include:

* mild soreness, redness, and swelling where the shot was given
* fever
* aches

These problems usually begin soon after the injection, and last 1–2 days.[74]

Side effects of the activated/live/LAIV flu nasal spray vaccine:

Some children and adolescents 2–17 years of age have reported:[75]

* runny nose, nasal congestion or cough
* fever
* headache and muscle aches
* wheezing
* abdominal pain or occasional vomiting or diarrhea

Some adults 18–49 years of age have reported:[75]

* runny nose or nasal congestion
* sore throat
* cough, chills, tiredness/weakness
* headache

More severe, but very rare side effects include:[75]

* life-threatening allergic reaction

A review has concluded that the 2009 H1N1 ("swine flu") vaccine has a safety profile similar to that of seasonal vaccine.[76]

Some injection-based flu vaccines intended for adults in the United States contain thiomersal. Despite some controversy in the media,[77] the World Health Organization has concluded that there is no evidence of toxicity from thiomersal in vaccines and no reason on grounds of safety to change to more-expensive single-dose administration.[78]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_vaccine#Side_effects

Even though the virus in LAIV is attenuated (low in virulence), it is still a living virus, and may cause an infection with complications in people with weakened immune systems or other underlying medical conditions. LAIV is recommended only for people 2–49 years of age, and is not recommended for people who have a weakened immune system, for pregnant women, or for people with certain chronic diseases.[7] In contrast, inactivated virus vaccines contain no living virus, and cannot cause a live infection. Persons receiving LAIV may shed small amounts of the vaccine virus during the first week. People coming in contact with the vaccinated person are not considered to be at risk, unless their immune systems are severely weakened (bone marrow transplant recipients).[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_attenuated_influenza_vaccine

trXD
08-12-09, 01:08
Yeah, except condoms are different.

So have you.

They are exactly the same in this respect.

EmeraldFields
08-12-09, 01:08
Wikipedia is unreliable! :ton:

Ward Dragon
08-12-09, 01:10
Wikipedia is unreliable! :ton:

The information matches what I've learned, but if you insist upon another source, then here's the CDC :p

Vaccine Side Effects (What to Expect)

Different side effects can be associated with the flu shot and LAIV.

The flu shot: The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot. Some minor side effects that could occur are:

* Soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
* Fever (low grade)
* Aches

If these problems occur, they begin soon after the shot and usually last 1 to 2 days. Almost all people who receive influenza vaccine have no serious problems from it. However, on rare occasions, flu vaccination can cause serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions. As of July 1, 2005, people who think that they have been injured by the flu shot can file a claim for compensation from the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP)External Web Site Icon.

The nasal spray (also called LAIV or FluMist®): The viruses in the nasal-spray vaccine are weakened and do not cause severe symptoms often associated with influenza illness. (In clinical studies, transmission of vaccine viruses to close contacts has occurred only rarely.)

In children, side effects from LAIV (FluMist®) can include:

* runny nose
* wheezing
* headache
* vomiting
* muscle aches
* fever

In adults, side effects from LAIV (FluMist®) can include

* runny nose
* headache
* sore throat
* cough

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 01:10
They are exactly the same in this respect.They're not, and I've already explained why on previous pages.

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 01:14
It is entirely possible to get sick from a flu vaccine. First of all, it is always possible to have an allergic reaction to it even if it is a dead virus. Secondly, some versions of flu vaccine use a live virus which has been weakened substantially but can still make people sick especially if they have a weakened immune system.

From Wikipedia (which matches what I learned in my virology class):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_vaccine#Side_effects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_attenuated_influenza_vaccine

I never denied you can get ill because of side-effects of the vaccination, I said you can't get influenza because of the vaccination. Vaccinations against Influenza used (in Holland and Belgium, that's as far as my knowledge goes) don't contain living/active virusses. Those are obsolete.

Legends
She seems to be handling it extremely well. I hope she'll get better.

trXD
They're not, and I've already explained why on previous pages.
No you havent, you said that comparing condoms with flu shots is stupid and i said the same thing i said in my last post.

(this is getting a bit rediculous now, we should continue in PM, or just full stop because we have both said what we think)

:}hello friend
08-12-09, 01:15
I am glad she is doing better :)... when I first saw this, I got really scared because I had to get a flu shot that same day =(

Ward Dragon
08-12-09, 01:17
I never denied you can get ill because of side-effects of the vaccination, I said you can't get influenza because of the vaccination. Vaccinations against Influenza used (in Holland and Belgium, that's as far as my knowledge goes) don't contain living/active virusses. Those are obsolete.

Live attenuated viruses are not obsolete. They are still being used in the US and probably other places as well. They work better, but there's a higher risk of bad reactions too.

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 01:17
No you havent, you said that comparing condoms with flu shots is stupid and i said the same thing i said in my last post.

(this is getting a bit rediculous now, we should continue in PM, or just full stop because we have both said what we think)Read back earlier.

EmeraldFields
08-12-09, 01:18
The information matches what I've learned, but if you insist upon another source, then here's the CDC :p

LOL! I honestly don't care. I just felt like teasing you!:D

Ward Dragon
08-12-09, 01:18
LOL! I honestly don't care. I just felt like teasing you!:D

I know :D It was worth two minutes on Bing to call your bluff :p

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 01:20
I know :D It was worth two minutes on Bing to call your bluff :pBing? Google is better. :p

Paddy
08-12-09, 01:21
Im tough, I dont need vaccines to survive :p

Ward Dragon
08-12-09, 01:26
Bing? Google is better. :p

No, I like Bing better. The search results are more precise (less random crap) and it has nice pretty background pictures :D Not to mention I don't think Bing keeps a record of my searches, whereas I know Google does for sure.

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 01:26
Live attenuated viruses are not obsolete. They are still being used in the US and probably other places as well. They work better, but there's a higher risk of bad reactions too.

Well we don't use them here for Influenza, so I have based my arguments on that. I have read that people who are expected to get complications from Influenza, the 'high-risk population', shouldn't get an LAIV. Now those are exactly the people who we want to vaccinate. Also health-workers are advised to get vaccinated. There is a small chance of 'shedding' virus in the first few days after receiving an LAIV. So if the government would buy those vaccins it wouldn't make sense, therefore I consider them obsolete. They work, but there are more convenient alternatives which work good enough.

irjudd
08-12-09, 01:27
Bing? Google is better. :p
-1 credibility points
No, I like Bing better. The search results are more precise (less random crap) and it has nice pretty background pictures :D Not to mention I don't think Bing keeps a record of my searches, whereas I know Google does for sure.

+1 credibility points

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 01:29
It's funny how this thread started from a 'oh that's so sad for this girl' to 'I don't want a flu shot', 'condoms', 'how a vaccin works' and now 'Google' and 'Bing'...

Catapharact
08-12-09, 01:30

Taken from:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/09/18/20090918vaccinesafety.html

The H1N1 shot has been developed the same way that pharmaceutical companies create the annual seasonal flu vaccine.

A seed stock of the virus is grown in eggs, and then inactive or dead virus is combined with stabilizers to keep it from mutating. Preservatives sometimes are added to keep it sterile.

The last ingredient typically is what causes much of the safety concern.

Ward Dragon
08-12-09, 01:31
Well we don't use them here for Influenza, so I have based my arguments on that. I have read that people who are expected to get complications from Influenza, the 'high-risk population', shouldn't get an LAIV. Now those are exactly the people who we want to vaccinate. Also health-workers are advised to get vaccinated. There is small chance of 'shedding' virus in the first few days after receiving an LAIV. So if the government would buy those vaccins it wouldn't make sense, therefore I consider them obsolete. They work, but there are more convenient alternatives which work good enough.

Fair enough, but I thought we were arguing over whether it's possible to get sick from a flu vaccine :p Some countries still use LAIV, and some people have said that they got sick from a flu vaccine, so it's likely that they are right and they really did get sick from a flu vaccine.

Taken from:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/09/18/20090918vaccinesafety.html

Ah, I was referring to the regular flu vaccines which get made every year. They have a nasal spray version of the flu vaccine which is live attenuated, whereas the shots are dead virus.

Paddy
08-12-09, 01:31
It's funny how this thread started from a 'oh that's so sad for this girl' to 'I don't want a flu shot', 'condoms', 'how a vaccin works' and now 'Google' and 'Bing'...

Threads have funny ways of cycling lol.

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 01:32
Catapharact:

Yup, that's exactly the kind we use here.

I have found this by Googlin' (no not Bing :mis:): http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/diseases/flu/hcp/vaccine/laiv.html#nolaiv

I have never heard of this nose spray. That seems like a good alternative for people who are afraid of shots. :)

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 01:33
I have never heard of this nose spray. That seems like a good alternative for people who are afraid of shots. :)Just to clarify, me not wanting this flu shot has nothing to do with a dislike of injections.

irjudd
08-12-09, 01:34
Just to clarify, me not wanting this flu shot has ... to do with a dislike of injections.

Bok bok chickennnnn!

Tear
08-12-09, 01:35
I watched 10 seconds and I couldn't continue, that's terrible.:(

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 01:38
Bok bok chickennnnn!Lol, you're a fine one to talk :p

You couldn't pay me to get a flu vaccine. Well, you could, but I'd want payment first so I could take it and run away while still avoiding the vaccination.

Who's chicken now eh?

irjudd
08-12-09, 01:40
Lol, you're a fine one to talk :p

Who's chicken now eh?

Hey my reasons aren't wimpy like yours! I genuinely don't want to be poisoned by stuff like chicken embryonic fluid and mercury and formaldehyde; common ingredients in these seasonal flu shots! :p

Love2Raid
Fair enough, but I thought we were arguing over whether it's possible to get sick from a flu vaccine :p Some countries still use LAIV, and some people have said that they got sick from a flu vaccine, so it's likely that they are right and they really did get sick from a flu vaccine.

I learn something new every day! :D

The LAIV apparently is used in a nasal spray vaccination (FluMist). The shot contains no living virusses. I got found this:
Can the nasal spray flu vaccine give you the flu?

Unlike the flu shot, the nasal spray flu vaccine does contain live viruses. However, the viruses are attenuated (weakened) and cannot cause flu illness. The weakened viruses are cold-adapted, which means they are designed to only cause infection at the cooler temperatures found within the nose. The viruses cannot infect the lungs or other areas where warmer temperatures exist. Some children and young adults 2-17 years of age have reported experiencing mild reactions after receiving nasal spray flu vaccine, including runny nose, nasal congestion or cough, chills, tiredness/weakness, sore throat and headache. Some adults 18-49 years of age have reported runny nose or nasal congestion, cough, chills, tiredness/weakness, sore throat and headache. These side effects are mild and short-lasting, especially when compared to symptoms of influenza infection.

Here: http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/about/qa/nasalspray.htm

Source seems reliable to me. :)

Just to clarify, me not wanting this flu shot has nothing to do with a dislike of injections.
I never implied you were, don't get me wrong!

Aphrodite22
Thats so creepy!! :yik:

Paddy
08-12-09, 01:41
I prefer to let my immune system fight diseases off, thats what it does.

Quasimodo
08-12-09, 01:47
I read somewhere earlier in this thread that you could still get the virus after getting the vaccine for it - if I remember correctly, what actually happens is you catch a different or mutated virus.

Catapharact
08-12-09, 01:57
I prefer to let my immune system fight diseases off, thats what it does.

Your immune system WILL be fighting the virals once you get the shot.

See... How shall I put this in terms that your average gung-ho persona can understand...

Think of your immune system as a squad of Rangers. Without the shot, the squad is basically shooting in the dark, in all directions, trying to locate the enemy where as the enemy can see your squad clear as daylight and can get to them.

With the shot, your squad gets upgraded with a pair of nightvision goggles. Now they can effectively identify the enemy and can tear em to shreads.

Mr.Burns
08-12-09, 02:00
Ya know Cat, you could have just told it to him as it is. No need to be condensending. :wve:

Paddy
08-12-09, 02:01
I so far havent found a reason to need a shot, even if I get sick, my immune system can fight off the flu and colds without needing a shot.

Catapharact
Ya know Cat, you could have just told it to him as it is. No need to be condensending. :wve:

I wasn't! I really wasn't! IMO its a good analogy. You should hear my cupcake analogy for the lysis process.

Paddy
I dont care even if he was being condescending :p
I have a thicker skin then to let something like that offend me lol.
At least Cat didnt stamp on my opinion like others did earlier which really I shouldnt take them seriously.

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 02:05
I so far havent found a reason to need a shot, even if I get sick, my immune system can fight off the flu and colds without needing a shot.

If you are not part of the 'high-risk' population then there is no need for a flu shot. If you are, then I would consider it. Fact is it still remains your choice, since it's your body and nobody will be phsysically harmed when you get sick but yourself.

Ward Dragon
08-12-09, 02:07
I learn something new every day! :D

The LAIV apparently is used in a nasal spray vaccination (FluMist). The shot contains no living virusses. I got found this:

Here: http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/about/qa/nasalspray.htm

Source seems reliable to me. :)

Those are pretty much the same symptoms as the flu. Even if it's not as severe as a full-fledged flu infection, I think it's splitting hairs to tell people who got sick from the vaccine that their experience doesn't count because it wasn't the real flu they were sick with, just a weak flu :p

Paddy
08-12-09, 02:08
I dont need a flu shot anyway, I dont get sick easily because my immune system is strong, Ive found if i have got sick, I learnt to take measures to not getting sick which involves vitamins, eating properly or trying to anyway.
Vitamins does more wonders for me then any shot Ive ever taken.
Ive not gotten the flu even when in a house of people who had it, I dont get sick easy, swine flu I could catch but IM not gonna worry about it because its senseless.

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 02:09
I think in a lot of cases swine flu is actually weaker than the normal flu. My mom said she had the regular flu once and she couldn't get out of bed for like two weeks. Everyone I know who's had swine flu has only been bad for a couple of days.

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 02:09
Those are pretty much the same symptoms as the flu. Even if it's not as severe as a full-fledged flu infection, I think it's splitting hairs to tell people who got sick from the vaccine that their experience doesn't count because it wasn't the real flu they were sick with, just a weak flu :p

I know, and I think that's where the problem lies. Scientifically it's impossible to get the real flu after the shot or the spray, but the people who get side-effects will feel like they got the flu and believe that, out of ignorance.

Catapharact
08-12-09, 02:11
If you are not part of the 'high-risk' population then there is no need for a flu shot. If you are, then I would consider it. Fact is it still remains your choice, since it's your body and nobody will be phsysically harmed when you get sick but yourself.

That much I can agree with but I personally think you choose to be a liability to your coworkers by not getting the shot. If by any chance you start to exuberate flu symptoms and choose to come to work anyway and infect other employees, then I am totally willing to see the corportion take action against you for creating problems for them.

Paddy
08-12-09, 02:11
But thatd apply to anyone who goes to work sick, not just to ones who get flu.

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 02:15
Can I ask a question? :)

In Holland only people who are categorized as 'high-risk' can get a seasonal flu-shot. For example seniors, people with cardiovascular diseases, people with pulmonary diseases like asthma and COPD, healthworkers etc. Other people simply don't get it.

During this discussion I felt like this is different in other countries. It almost seems like everyone who wants it can get it. Is this true?

Catapharact
08-12-09, 02:15
But thatd apply to anyone who goes to work sick, not just to ones who get flu.

Unfortunately its a problem for all corporations. You have no idea as to how much corporations lose out on productivty due to unhealthy employees; May it be because of the flu, stress, depression, etc.

The corporation can only do so much to see that you are in tiptop shape. Its up to the individual to keep his/her end of the bargin as well.

Can I ask a question? :)

In Holland only people who are categorized as 'high-risk' can get a seasonal flu-shot. For example seniors, people with cardiovascular diseases, people with pulmonary diseases like asthma and COPD, healthworkers etc. Other people simply don't get it.

During this discussion I felt like this is different in other countries. It almost seems like everyone who wants it can get it. Is this true?

For most countries its the same, except there are other groups added in the "high risk" category including people who are obese.

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 02:23
For most countries its the same, except there are other groups added in the "high risk" category including people who are obese.

There is more, that's why I put the 'etc.' :p
Not obese people though. I'm not surprised why they would be included in some countries though, since obesity seems to be a risk factor for almost anything. :o

Catapharact
08-12-09, 02:26
There is more, that's why put the 'etc.' :p
Not obese people though. I'm not surprised why they would be included in some countries though, since obesity seems to be a risk factor for almost anything. :o

Well its due to prossible cardiovasular problems that are so common amoung those suffering form obesity. The general outline for those who are under the high risk category goes all follows:

•Pregnant women
•People who are obese
•People with heart disease
•People with diabetes
•People with asthma or other chronic lung diseases
•People with kidney disease
•Those with suppressed immune systems, such as people with HIV
•People with neurological and neuromuscular disorders

Love2Raid
08-12-09, 02:39
High Risk
Over here, pregnant women are only included in the H1N1 vaccination programme. For the seasonal flu shot, obese people and also patients with neurological diseases are left out compared to your list. The rest is the same.

Recommended but not High Risk
People who stay in nursing houses, health workers and people who live close to someone who is in the High Risk group (close contact).

disneyprincess20
08-12-09, 08:00
I think in a lot of cases swine flu is actually weaker than the normal flu. My mom said she had the regular flu once and she couldn't get out of bed for like two weeks. Everyone I know who's had swine flu has only been bad for a couple of days.

This is exactly what I found. I had seasonal flu last year and it totally floored me for a week. I had swine flu earlier this year and I was just lethargic and hot, nowhere near as sick as with seasonal flu and it only got worse when I started taking tamiflu.

I can see why some people take the shot, and some don't. I don't because there's still a chance you can get flu and personally I enjoy taking a couple of days off sick watching a whole saga of movies and screwing over the employer who loves to screw over their staff. :D

Suzan
08-12-09, 08:09
I'm more scared of the flu shot than the actual flu. So hell no, not gonna take it.

Lavinder
08-12-09, 08:49
Is it just me, or has anyone found that if they just ride out a flu/cold without taking medication it seems to be a lot more shorter and have less side effects.

I never take medication anymore, even vitimins make me lethargic etc. the only thing I take now is the odd painkiller and my contraceptive pill.

Suzan
08-12-09, 08:59
I've heard two different things, some say that taking those pills that lower your body temperature do cause the flu to last longer because the high body temperature is your body's way to cope with the ****. Some say it doesn't matter how many pills you take. Dunno really anymore.

Paddy
08-12-09, 09:07
Is it just me, or has anyone found that if they just ride out a flu/cold without taking medication it seems to be a lot more shorter and have less side effects.

I never take medication anymore, even vitimins make me lethargic etc. the only thing I take now is the odd painkiller and my contraceptive pill.

It does for me. Cold and flu tablets dont do anything to help whatsoever for me.
Best way to get rid of them is keep fluids up and eat plenty of fruit and veggies, the vitamins are better at keeping you from being sick then anything.

Autolycus
08-12-09, 09:19
Quite shocked to see what happened to this girl, but i'm so glad she's getting better.

Simochka
08-12-09, 10:03
I've never believed in that story for some reason :S

I took the shot. The next day I was sick and my arm was swollen and I couldn't move it. But later the same day I was cooking and dancing for my self and everything. So I felt good pretty fast xD
I know some people who got the swine flu. They was sick in one week then everything went back to normal. So IMO the shot isn't that important

This was 2-3 weeks ago. And today my arm is starting to hurt again for some reason. First time since I took the shot. Dunno why that happens :p

Your_Envy*
08-12-09, 10:52
Your immune system WILL be fighting the virals once you get the shot.

See... How shall I put this in terms that your average gung-ho persona can understand...

Think of your immune system as a squad of Rangers. Without the shot, the squad is basically shooting in the dark, in all directions, trying to locate the enemy where as the enemy can see your squad clear as daylight and can get to them.

With the shot, your squad gets upgraded with a pair of nightvision goggles. Now they can effectively identify the enemy and can tear em to shreads.

Squad of Rangers! Good one. :p

That's true of course, body's immune system is prepared for the disease if you had flu shot, cause the agent, made of microbe, stimulates the body's immune system so it recognizes the agent, destroy it and if disease comes to your body, it will destroy it much earlier.. That's the whole thing about shots. But you can still get reaction or the disease, you never know how your immune system will respond. Not to mention they still don't know all the side effect influenza shot brings.
I must say that our media got pretty crazy when one woman died because of flu in Slovenia. They were all talking about how she didn't get the flu shot, but the stupid thing is - we got first package of influenza shots the same day as she died. How on earth could she get flu shot then? :rolleyes: Media is doing a big deal out of it.

I Need A Map
08-12-09, 11:41
A friend of mine did this..Not me:p
8c2U2ipUMXU

Ikas90
08-12-09, 11:53
I'm not getting a flu shot. I just think it's completely pointless to go and get a flu shot that has no benefit to it. No point in getting something that you don't need.

Besides, I have a life that I value.

Glad to hear that this woman is getting better though. I hope she fully recovers.

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 11:59
I'm not getting a flu shot. I just think it's completely pointless to go and get a flu shot that has no benefit to it. No point in getting something that you don't need.

Glad to hear that this woman is getting better though. I hope she fully recovers.I agree, although that second comment is rather confusing. :p

tonyme
08-12-09, 11:59
I took the shot 2 days ago.

I'm sorry about what happened to this woman though, I'm happy she's getting better :)

Ikas90
08-12-09, 12:01
I agree, although that second comment is rather confusing. :p

Which comment? The one about my valuing my life, or about the woman getting better?

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 12:02
Which comment? The one about my valuing my life, or about the woman getting better?Valuing your life. You make it sound as if the shot's gonna kill you. :p

Ikas90
08-12-09, 12:04
Valuing your life. You make it sounds as if the shot's gonna kill you. :p

No, I meant that the shot could give me a defect, such as not being able to walk forwards. :p Thus, life being ruined. Not necessarily being over, but ruined nonetheless.

Suzan
08-12-09, 12:18
So far in Finland, not a single average healthy person has died because of the flu. And that's why taking the shot would be useless for me, because:
a) it could either make me very sick for a long time OR
b) not do much harm

And the swine flu can either:
a) make me very sick for a long time
b) not do that much harm

So... I'd rather take the actual flu than the shot, cos in the end the shot doesn't necessarily save me from anything.

Mokono
08-12-09, 12:19

Glad to hear that this woman is getting better though. I hope she fully recovers.

It's pointworth (yeah, i made the word) from a strategic point of view: Nowdays health concerns are not about helping to develop human living standards, it's about avoiding technical drawbacks for companies that can't concieve not even the most negligible loss. Here's a better description of it:

Unfortunately its a problem for all corporations. You have no idea as to how much corporations lose out on productivty due to unhealthy employees; May it be because of the flu, stress, depression, etc.

Saying this, flue shots appear to be highly convenient considering that, in practical terms, 1/1000000 cases is just a tiny obstacle that if happens could be easily skipped. Sure, i said it on vague words, but i think it's still kinda clear.

Paddy
08-12-09, 12:22
So far in Finland, not a single average healthy person has died because of the flu. And that's why taking the shot would be useless for me, because:
a) it could either make me very sick for a long time OR
b) not do much harm

And the swine flu can either:
a) make me very sick for a long time
b) not do that much harm

So... I'd rather take the actual flu than the shot, cos in the end the shot doesn't necessarily save me from anything.

Agree 100 %

Andyroo
08-12-09, 12:25
Agree 100 %

Agreed here too.

tranniversary119
08-12-09, 13:09
My science teacher said if you ride out the flu your immune system gets stronger rather than if you got the shot and didn't get it. Not sure if it's true but this is another reason why I'm not getting the shot...if I'm going to get it then I will.

Mad Tony
08-12-09, 13:29
No, I meant that the shot could give me a defect, such as not being able to walk forwards. :p .I seriously doubt it. :p

interstellardave
08-12-09, 14:00
My science teacher said if you ride out the flu your immune system gets stronger rather than if you got the shot and didn't get it. Not sure if it's true but this is another reason why I'm not getting the shot...if I'm going to get it then I will.

Exactly. I've followed that line of reasoning for my entire adult life, and I rarely get sick at all.

Be smart. Wash your hands. Be sensible about taking care of yourself if/when you do happen to get sick (and you'll be better and back to work faster than those who try to work through it). That's all you need to do!

Suzan
08-12-09, 14:58
Yeah, and how we eat (and live in general) affects our health so much. If you eat crap, don't care about how much sleep you get and never wash your hands etc., you're more likely to get sick often. I like to take care of my body and mind and believe it will help me with all the diseases there are these days :wve: