PDA

View Full Version : Remake of tomb raider!

Jamizzle
10-12-09, 19:28
I want to go and remake all the tomb raider games released on PS1. They were the best and now Crystal Design has completly ruined them. How would i approach this? What software do i need etc. Please help me with this as I would love to keep people playing lara!

Rai
10-12-09, 19:51
Firstly, welcome to the forums! :)

What qualifications or experience do you have in game programming, level design and everything else that it takes a team of people to make a whole game? Do you have the money and time it would take? If you want to have a go at creating your own levels, you could try the Level Editor. There is a whole forum section for that here. But I think it would take a hell of a lot of work for 1 person to take on the mammoth task of remake all the games.

Plus I really don't see the need to remake all the TRs, classic or otherwise, they're fine as they are. TRA was made for the Anniversary of the first game and CD chose to alter the story a little to fit the Legend plot arc.

As for Crystal 'ruining' Tomb Raider, that is your opinion and I respect that or would if you gave your reasons. I may be in a minority, but I really liked what they have done.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
10-12-09, 19:55
Isn't there already a remade version of TR1? "TR1 revised" or something like that, which you can play on the level editor...

Los Angeles
10-12-09, 19:58
I also think Crystal ruined TR! No arguments needed, it just is how it is...

TRhalloween
10-12-09, 20:09

Yeah cept not rly.

Phlip
10-12-09, 20:11

Definitely. They've done nothing but make the series rock bottom abysmal. Crap story, Lara, length, level design and hardness.

Beans-Bot
10-12-09, 20:22

Enthymeme ftw. :rolleyes:

As for the OP: I think your best option is the level editor, like others have stated. But there are already quite a handful of various TR1 remakes and I know of one or two TR2 remakes being developed. Maybe try TR3?

Perhaps your TR3 wouldn't be an abysmal game that was a chore to play. :ohn:

TRaddict
10-12-09, 21:52
Firstly, welcome to the forums! :)

I really don't see the need to remake all the TRs, classic or otherwise, they're fine as they are. TRA was made for the Anniversary of the first game and CD chose to alter the story a little to fit the Legend plot arc.

As for Crystal 'ruining' Tomb Raider, that is your opinion and I respect that or would if you gave your reasons. I may be in a minority, but I really liked what they have done.

Have to agree :tmb:

Dustie
10-12-09, 21:56
I think you will have to help yourself on this one, since nobody here has sufficient programming skills. Do you think you have them? In order to program a video game you need vast knowledge of programming languages, usually C/C++, and that takes long years of learning and experience...

Maybe just try TRLE first... ;)

TRfan23
10-12-09, 22:05
Maybe just try TRLE first... ;)

Definitely as you can learn from meta (http://www.metaseq.net/english/) which is probably the best 3D modeling editor to use if your a beginner. If you get good at that, then you can try Maya (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=13577897) which is an advanced 3D modeling program and does animations. You can then try and implement your models in Maya into UDK (http://www.udk.com/) ;)

As others have said, C++ (http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/) (Scroll all the way down) is definitely needed in designing a game of your own ;) So you can program the models to do commands, so you can program the physics of the game. Trust me it's fricking hard :(

Back in Feb 2008 was when I wanted to do brilliant game programming with the most modern games. Only found out last Oct 2008 that my system requirements weren't enough :( ;) Plus for even trying on 3D editors like Blender (little basic) or Maya, takes a long long time to learn.

Antonio
10-12-09, 22:18
Let the Crystal make they own TR, remake leave for fans. I have faith in Encore Studio, although they making a sequel Angel of Darkness but still it's enough.:D