PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Depression

Los Angeles
10-12-09, 21:58
Oh my...

I just hate winter. It's so depressing, 'cause it gets dark too early and I just sleep all the time. I'm trying to sleep the winter away, but it's so long... :( Any tips?

GameGlitcher77
10-12-09, 22:00
Go to a place that snows, um let's say Central California. :D Do you live on the West Coast. :confused:

Los Angeles
10-12-09, 22:01
Go to a place that snows, um let's say Central California. :D Do you live on the West Coast. :confused:

No, I live in Germany... :rolleyes:
Everyone is so laid back, I need some more fun! :o

ZapTheLadyBird
10-12-09, 22:04
Yeah. Winter can suck. I prefer the dark dingyness... I understand completely others don't.
Just think bright happy thoughts and think that Spring is not to far away... (2months), So things will get better. :)

Edit: Always wanted to go to Germany... The lanuage is easier to learn than Spanish and French, which is good, since I'm terrible at them. So think how lucky you are to speak both (am I right, you do speak both, right?)

And think of how many times I had to type out Spring before I got the spelling right...

nick styger
10-12-09, 22:05
'Tis the season to play more Lara. In fact it's the perfect pastime...with a couple of mince pies......and a glass of punch..........or two.:tea:.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Los Angeles
10-12-09, 22:05
Yeah. Winter can suck. I prefer the dark dingyness... I understand completely others don't.
Just think bright happy thoughts and think that Spring is not to far away... (2months), So things will get better. :)

And think of how many times I had to type out Spring before I got the spelling right...

:jmp:

Marianna12
10-12-09, 22:08
Think of the pros of the winter aswell...
In Germany it snows right? Personally I love snow!
And winter=Christmas. Don't you like Christmas?:D

Los Angeles
10-12-09, 22:11
Think of the pros of the winter aswell...
In Germany it snows right? Personally I love snow!
And winter=Christmas. Don't you like Christmas?:D

It does snow in Germany, but not yet...
And I hate snow, 'cause my shoes are getting wet and the bottom of my jeans gets wet and it's always cold...

I'd rather have rain than snow, though... :o

I love christmas and yes, Winter is the perfect time for TR, but I hate January and February!

LaraLuvrrr
10-12-09, 22:15
I personally like Winter but it does get a bit weird with so much darkness. Especially that I tend to sleep until 2 pm : /

marla_biggs
10-12-09, 22:18
Have you ever tried one of those special SAD (seasonal affective disorder) lights? That might help :)

Yuna´s Wish
10-12-09, 22:22
I hate snow, 'cause my shoes are getting wet and the bottom of my jeans gets wet and it's always cold...

I prefer that to having my jeans and socks wet because of all the sweat that flows through my pores during Summer...like right now, since here it´s Summer :p I much prefer Winter, you can easily fight it by wearing more layers of clothing, yet fighting Summer is impossible.

miss.haggard
10-12-09, 22:36
There aint no gosh darn thing as seasonal depression. Just get yer ass outside and build a snowman.

mau3genius
10-12-09, 22:47
WHAT'S WRONG WITH U?!!!11111! WINTERR FOR DA WINZ LOL
No, but seriously, winter rocks :p I don't see it as a depressive season, it's more like a time for relaxation. You should be here trying to get through this annoying summer. God I hate it, it's too hot, it's always sunny, it sucks.

jamieoliver22
10-12-09, 22:57
I love winter, it is probably my faviourite season. I find it so nice and cosy when you are all wrapped up warm inside while it snows and it's frosty outside. Plus it is one of the most beautiful times of the year, especially a low sunrise on a cold crisp frosty morning, it's just nice.

Plus Christmas is around, and a chance to relax and celebrate with Laura and my family, and just cuddle up warm inside.

Dustie
10-12-09, 22:58
Edit: Always wanted to go to Germany... The lanuage is easier to learn than Spanish and French, which is good, since I'm terrible at them. So think how lucky you are to speak both (am I right, you do speak both, right?)
You think? Wait till you get to the der, die, das thing...

Surohicko
10-12-09, 23:02
Winter is the best season there is :jmp:

So not depressing, i personally think winter goes to quick.
(possibly because it knows i hate Xmas :p )

To me Summer and spring suck :wve:

Tommy123
10-12-09, 23:14
Winter is the best season there is :jmp:

So not depressing, i personally think winter goes to quick.
(possibly because it knows i hate Xmas :p )

To me Summer and spring suck :wve:

i agree, i rather freeze my azz off then sweat

Surohicko
10-12-09, 23:19
Thank you for agreeing :D

Saphyre
11-12-09, 00:09
Well here, all it ever does is rain rain rain in winter, it never snows hardly. So winter is crap to me. I like sun, I like the long days and the sun going down at 9 pm. I hate winter and last year I got really depressed about it. However this year, I'm just rolling along with it. :)

snork
11-12-09, 00:12
First : THERE IS NO FRIGGIN SNOW. :mad:
2nd : building a snowman lasts an hour or so, but the darkness lasts for 4 months. :(
3rd : you "southerners" (better : equator neighbours) don't have a say in it. :ton:

Even the most southern point in Germany ist still more north than e.g the Canadian-US(mainland) border.
Heck, compared to Torontonians, Torontoers, :confused: - whatever - I am practically living at the north pole.

If it weren't for the Carribeans sending over their excess heat, living would be - well I don't approve of living in igloos.

If here you are working 9-to-5 in an inside place with artificial lighting, it is so you don't get to see daylight the whole week. It is dark, dark, and darker even. :(
And IF you get to see light of the day, it is WEAK. And very often heavily hidden behing thick grey clouds. :(

Some years almost no snow at all, only if it freezes enough so you could actually go iceskating, then it is almost sure the ice on the lakes gets snowed over so much you can't go iceskating no more. :mad:

The darkness, the cold, the cold wind, the rain - the outdoor possibilities are almost going extinct.

Aaaaaaaaaargrrhrgrghrghr! bäh! öärks! :mad:

Ok. What helps ?

One thing to me is flowers, particularly yellow ones. If the eternal darkness gets to me really bad I go and get 5 packs of yellow tulips. They bring some sun. :)
My Crassula is sporting lots and lots of little white blossoms right now, and they stay for maybe 2 months.
And Amaryllis, Azaleas, Camellias - all showing LIFE in the middle of winter.

Working the same way : african music, which I happen to like anyways. African dance-able music.

Thus "Return of the Sun" (what most call christmas these days) is like second most holy day to me.

I know about many good things in winter, but the winter and darkness just lasts too long, so in the end it doesn't make up for it no more.
So November (until I adjust to it) and February (when winter has taken long enough already) is the worst for me.
------------------------------
PS - I can't imagine German being easier than Spanish or French, Spanish in particular. It is more "consistent", "makes more sense" or "sticks more to it's rules" so to say. I can see a kind of "gramatical beauty" in it. I really wish we had a "subjuntivo" in German. :cln:
And it sounds a lot better, I think.

miss.haggard
11-12-09, 00:26
2nd : building a snowman lasts an hour or so, but the darkness lasts for 4 months. :(

Good snowmen take a minimum of 4 hours to complete!

toughraid3r37
11-12-09, 03:10
I personally like Winter but it does get a bit weird with so much darkness. Especially that I tend to sleep until 2 pm : /

Same here :p.

irjudd
11-12-09, 03:15
Good snowmen take a minimum of 4 hours to complete!

Unless you live in a retarded region that is cold enough outside to be miserable, but not cold enough to get snow. :(

larafan25
11-12-09, 03:54
THIS IS THE PROBLEM!:)

you shouldn't sleep.

say you wake up in the morning and you go to school...wait stop I need to restart:p

ok so depression affects your drive to go places like school, right? well get a clock radio so that you can wake up to your favorite station, I prefere the oldies:)

now you will probably be surprised at how you just spring out of bed:)

so eat a large breakfest with a fruite(no not me, something edible) , some wheat stuffs, and orange juice...maybe something dairy too:p

now you go to school and be happy, have your lunch whatever and continue through your day...

you come home and are like WTF I am tired this crazy person doesn't know what they are talking about. WRONG!:)

now you need to drink something to wake yourself up, maybe a cofee(if you drink it) or a pop..what this does it provide artificial energy:p now you can go burn this energy doing stuff you like:)

this way you wake up happy which slaps your depression in the face and makes you energyfull and then if you feel you need some more push just have a coke or pepsi and not an energy drink:)

I think you are sleeping because you are bored which is why you are depressed and you are also sleeping because it gets dark early and you cannot do as many things, so this is where you need to make new hobbies and try some new interesting crafts or something fun and seasonal:D

Aranara
11-12-09, 04:24
I like winter because I like going to the rink and i also like it when it snows because everything looks peaceful.

miss.haggard
11-12-09, 05:38
Unless you live in a retarded region that is cold enough outside to be miserable, but not cold enough to get snow. :(

Its ok :hug: Were in the same boat :(

Changeling
11-12-09, 08:32
Most people tend to think of Winter as the "death" of the year, and Spring the "rebirth", as with the whole Hag and Bride tale. Don't think of Winter like that: if you didn't have Winter then there would be no Spring, and where would you be then? :) Try and look at it more positively, even though it must be difficult for you. It's peaceful at this time of year... I mean just now, I'm having the most gorgous view of the sun rising over a frosty field with glistening frozen dew complimented by a beautiful pink sky. Lush! :D

Lavinder
11-12-09, 11:19
I love winter, it is probably my faviourite season. I find it so nice and cosy when you are all wrapped up warm inside while it snows and it's frosty outside. Plus it is one of the most beautiful times of the year, especially a low sunrise on a cold crisp frosty morning, it's just nice.

Plus Christmas is around, and a chance to relax and celebrate with Laura and my family, and just cuddle up warm inside.

:hug: Indeed.

Thorir
11-12-09, 12:52
I HATE winter too. If it's below 20 celcius, I'm cold. And I hate being cold.
And it's midnight sun here in the summer, but DARK in the winter.

I want to hibernate and wake up when the sun comes back. :(

Los Angeles
11-12-09, 13:01
Germany is more southern than US-Canadian border??? :confused:

It may be so, but when I lived in Northern Michigan it was freezing cold, much colder than in Germany, and we had so much snow, you can't even imagine! :o

In Northern Michigan in the city I lived I saw a sign it said "Halfway to Northpole" or something like that, but it really was freezing cold!