PDA

View Full Version : Members versus guests at TRF

Icarus60
11-12-09, 15:35
How come every time I log onto this place there are always 2-5 times more "guests" than "members" enumerated under the front menu? I don't think I've ever seen so many guests.

GameGlitcher77
11-12-09, 15:37
How come every time I log onto this place there are always 2-5 times more "guests" than "members" enumerated under the front menu? I don't think I've ever seen so many guests.

I always wondered that too. :confused:

I guess "guests" are people that are browsing the forums but aren't actually members yet :D ;) :p

Legend of Lara
11-12-09, 15:38
Some members are 'invisible'. They show up as guests, I think.

Icarus60
11-12-09, 15:38
Hey! Guests! Why don't you join? ^

msalpha2omega
11-12-09, 15:39
Come on guests! We want to meet you!:D

Antonio
11-12-09, 15:42

Or maybe members are log out and enter in cloak mod.:pi:

Eddie Haskell
11-12-09, 15:42

I don't think so. "Guests" are guests, not members.

Punaxe
11-12-09, 15:44
There are so many topics here, chances are that if you're looking for anything Tomb Raider-related, you'll find a link to this forum among your search results. My guess is that the majority of guests arrive here via a search engine, possibly read a bit, and leave again.

msalpha2omega
11-12-09, 15:45
That's exactly how I first got here, Punaxe

Chocola teapot
11-12-09, 15:53
That's how I got here too! :D

GameGlitcher77
11-12-09, 15:55
I got here by clicking on Youtube links. :D ;)

VonCroy360
11-12-09, 15:59
I don't immediately log in when I come to the forums. I browse a bit, and then I'll log in when (and if) I find a thread I want to respond to. I guess other people do this as well.

ShadyCroft
11-12-09, 16:01
I'm pretty sure most of them are members of TRF, they just don't log on and check the forum like that.
I for one do sometimes come here and spend some time without logging on. And sometimes when I do log on, after a while I get logged off and I don't bother logging on again.
And there's the other half which is the not members half :)

ZapTheLadyBird
11-12-09, 16:09
You're right, though I never realised it before. Over 2 times I think at the moment.
Yes, we want to meet you ;)
:)

There are so many topics here, chances are that if you're looking for anything Tomb Raider-related, you'll find a link to this forum among your search results. My guess is that the majority of guests arrive here via a search engine, possibly read a bit, and leave again.

And me...

Los Angeles
11-12-09, 16:11
'cause Tomb Raider Chronicles is the most popular TR site, and if people are browsing it, they also come here to the forums...

Crisl
11-12-09, 16:13
Come on guests! We want to meet you!:D

Haha, I wish someone said this when I used to be a guest here :) It took me forever to finally register :vlol:

Sometimes when I just want to browse the forum on what's new, I don't immediately log in either. Only when I want to post something. So I'm a guest from time to time too :)

robm_2007
11-12-09, 16:35
maybe the guests are not here for talking, but only for reading. or they dont want to become a member of yet another website.

Legend of Lara
11-12-09, 16:36
I don't think so. "Guests" are guests, not members.

Browse the forum when not logged in. This makes you a 'guest'.
Browse the forum when logged in, but set to 'invisible'. This makes you appear to be offline, but you aren't.

So, isn't it logical that invisible members appear as guests?

Dark Lugia 2
11-12-09, 16:38
I don't immediately log in when I come to the forums. I browse a bit, and then I'll log in when (and if) I find a thread I want to respond to. I guess other people do this as well.

I do this too :P Actually, I logged in just now to type this, lol!

Crisl
11-12-09, 16:39
Browse the forum when logged in, but set to 'invisible'. This makes you appear to be offline, but you aren't.

That's a good point :tmb: I think it might work like that.

robm_2007
11-12-09, 16:40
why would you want to log in as invisible? in case you dont feel like talking to someone?

i would just not respond, until i felt like talking again.

tomblover
11-12-09, 16:43
I got here via TRC. I was an extremely long-time lurker. :p

Gabi
11-12-09, 16:49

No, because the are logged in.
People who appear as 'Guests' are not logged in.
When in invisible mode you are still down as a 'Member', just not visible for everybody. :)

Eddie Haskell
11-12-09, 16:52
No, because the are logged in.
People who appear as 'Guests' are not logged in.
When in invisible mode you are still down as a 'Member', just not visible for everybody. :)

As one of those invisible members, I already knew that... :)

TRfan23
11-12-09, 16:55
why would you want to log in as invisible? in case you dont feel like talking to someone?

i would just not respond, until i felt like talking again.

Because people can track what thread your in and stalk you on the forums ;)

Like me... :whi:

robm_2007
11-12-09, 16:57
id be flattered if someone thought so deeply of me to be my stalker. :p

not a stabby stalker though... lol

Eddie Haskell
11-12-09, 16:58

I prefer to be the panther in the trees at night, rather than the sheep in the meadow... ;)

I'm pretty sure though that the mods can see all members, including those who are cloaked.

Quasimodo
11-12-09, 18:55

Click on any section, like General Chat. Scroll to the bottom til you see a box called "Currently Active Users". It will list X number of members and Y number of guests browsing that section at the moment, along with a list of screen names. Count the screen names in the list and it will often come up short to the X number of members. The difference is the invisible members.

marla_biggs
11-12-09, 19:10
Guests if you're reading this, come join us :wve:

ZapTheLadyBird
11-12-09, 19:14

I agree :p Though, as long as they didn't bug me too much...

Reggie
11-12-09, 22:51
They're being nosy. Bugger off if you're not going to join up. :p

LightningRider
12-12-09, 01:22
I do what a lot of people do, lurk till I find a good thread. :p

BoyTRaider
12-12-09, 01:36
I remember back in the end of 2004, I used to browse this forum as a guest and then after a couple of days I couldn't help myself and resist any longer, so then I signed up. :D

Quasimodo
12-12-09, 01:40
There was also a brief time when the "Who's Online" feature showed details like guests and bots. Must've been a glitch because I think only mods usually see those details...anyhoo, if bots (from search engines like Google, I think) are included in the number of guests, there may not be as much people browsing here per day as it appears.

voltz
12-12-09, 01:41
I feel I didn't gain to much by being a member, so I think I'll go back to lurking.

Eddie Haskell
12-12-09, 01:47
There was also a brief time when the "Who's Online" feature showed details like guests and bots. Must've been a glitch because I think only mods usually see those details...anyhoo, if bots (from search engines like Google, I think) are included in the number of guests, there may not be as much people browsing here per day as it appears.

No, not a glitch. I noticed it and asked our benefactor what was up. He did not explain the reason for the brief shift, but he did shortly afterwords cull the guests, spiders and bots. I thanked him most humbly. :)

Quasimodo
12-12-09, 01:48
I feel I didn't gain to much by being a member, so I think I'll go back to lurking.
Eh. Just like most anything, you only get out as much as you put in. One would hope, anyway! :p

voltz
12-12-09, 01:53
Ok it's considered. Yell at me if you see another post. :D

Legend 4ever
12-12-09, 02:19
But if you're not logged in, you can't see the new posts that have been made since you've last visited. That would suck, I'm always logged in.