PDA

View Full Version : Arthur's Tomb

Icarus60
12-12-09, 18:46
In our own lifetime Arthur's body was discovered at Glastonbury, although the legends had always encouraged us to believe that there was something otherworldly about his ending, that he had resisted death and had been spirited away to some far-distant spot. The body was hidden deep in the earth in a hollowed-out oak bole and between two stone pyramids which had been set up long ago in the churchyard there. They carried it into the church with every mark of honour and buried it decently there in a marble tomb. It had been provided with most unusual indications which were, indeed, little short of miraculous, for beneath it, and not on top, as would be the custom nowadays, there was a stone slab, with a leaden cross attached to its under side. I have seen this cross myself and I have traced the lettering which was cut into it on the side turned towards the stone, instead of being on the outer side and immediately visible.

The inscription read as follows:

HERE IN THE ISLE OF AVALON LIES BURIED THE RENOWNED KING ARTHUR, WITH GUINEVERE, HIS SECOND WIFE.

http://www.britannia.com/history/docs/debarri.html

xXhayleyroxXx
13-12-09, 00:17
thats really interesting, thanks for posting :) i always believed it was in devon for some reason xx

almayah
23-12-09, 18:02
Too lazy to read sorry xD

lcaddict
24-01-10, 09:12
I was always interested in the King Arthur legends! Thanks for posting!!!:hug: