PDA

View Full Version : Poll: The right to commit suicide

tlr online
30-11-04, 23:05
BBC: The High Court has lifted an injunction banning a man from taking his chronically-sick wife to Switzerland for an assisted suicide. The woman, who has a progressive brain disease, is too ill to travel alone and would need someone to help her. Family Division judge Mr Justice Hedley had issued a temporary injunction banning the trip. But on Tuesday he said it was up to the police to decide what action, if any, to take against the husband.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40579000/jpg/_40579545_syringe_eyewire_203.jpg

Q. Do people have the right to terminate their own lives?

andromeda_eats
30-11-04, 23:13
I said yes. I think every human has the right to choice and free will. I like to think that those who loved me the most would understand that I was in too much pain to live.

tlr online
30-11-04, 23:16
That would be my one condition for voting yes. That someone was in unbearable pain, the kind of pain that couldn't be mended. If death was inevitable, then that person must be able to decide for themselves how much they can take. We (as pet owners) are encourage to think of a sick animal when deciding its fate. A rather crude comparison, but Iím sure you can see the similarities.

ELEN
30-11-04, 23:31
Practically yes. Theoretically no. You were given life. You didn't decide about it.

What we can do is to make our life better. There are occasions though, where death is faced as a relief. There are people that are sick and really suffer (especially if there is a body pain), so only death can save them from this torture.

But no-one can take a decision just like that. Human mind is complicated. Basically, there isn't a clear\ direct answer to this question, because each one will base the answer on personal experiences, even on religion. But if I have to follow my beliefs, then no-one has the right to terminate his\ her life, simply because life was given from God and He is the only one who can take it back.

tazmine
30-11-04, 23:58
Such a difficult subject: in the case of a person with an incurable illness, with no chance of getting better, & the mental capacity to decide, we should make it as easy as we can for them. If they had a living will, & had made the decision previously, we should respect it. No police, no intervention.

I feel we all have the right to commit suicide, but I think the moral authority to do so only resides with the terminally ill.

Draco
01-12-04, 00:59
I voted yes, because if we live in a society that can let people murder unborn children, why not let people murder themselves.

janny_c.
01-12-04, 01:02
No, I don't think so. It's depressing enough how there is enough suicides in the world, and now they think of this?!
Sigh. Life is short and better make most of it, sure we all go through hell from time to time and have moment/s in our lifes that we feel like we can't get through, but please people don't give up, you are in confront of your family and friends and people that care, so for your own good reconsider (if anyone reads this and has life troubles that is)
I don't encourage this, because;

1. I know this may sound silly, but to die you have to "work" for it. With this thing, anyone
while you are on the bridge or whatever you can at least reconsider and see how life is beautifull and that you really don't want to kill yourself. By that injecting thing, you have no chance of it whatsoever.

2. Is this supporting the suicide kinda thing? If you don't want to live, fine just inject this and die....leave everything behind and people who love you suffering?Shame, and ridicilous http://www.tombraiderforums.com/forums/icons/icon13.gif

I'm saddened how science and it's new excogitations, is supposed to be giving us good like it has to, but it just makes things worse.

bumb1ebee
01-12-04, 02:51
^ Lfie isn't beautiful for everyone.

Yours_in_darkness
01-12-04, 03:29
This kinda hits close to home with me.

My mother is terminally ill with brain cancer, and is in a slight amount of pain. However, she is not able to sit up, get out of bed, or even hold a glass of water up to her lips without the aid of someone. I know she wanted to live but like this? Euthenasia - if legalized - would be an option for us. If she is terminally ill and suffering, why bother to prolong her pain and put off the inevitable? We had to fill out her living will and there was a question about euthenasia. I think it is a good - albeit sad - thing to consider.

Thorir
01-12-04, 05:16
Life can be a living a living nightmare for some people... :(

I say yes to self-decided death...

wantafanta
01-12-04, 05:30
If you are already terminally ill, it's just moving things up a bit. It's better than letting a disease progress to where you don't have any control of yourself. It's not like a real suicide when a perfectly healthy person decides to end their own life.

Rose Naberrie
01-12-04, 07:26
I say Yes. See a person that you love dying slowly is not a good thing. If that person is in pain, it's even worst. I think it's better for eveone (the person and the family/friends) to finish with the suffering. :(

Neteru
01-12-04, 08:02
I thought this issue would come up on forum when I saw the news item last night. I was so pleased at the judges decision. What annoys me is that there was a judge to decide at all. To me, the individual has a sovereign right to decide their own death. Any interference thereof, is the grossest affront to personal dignity and respect for the individual, as it seeks to impose the beliefs (most often religious) of one upon another.

Olvidarse
01-12-04, 09:14
Argh I hate trig! Stupid math! Incomprehensible teacher!

*Stabs polar equations*

Catlantean
01-12-04, 11:06
I think that a person's life is their own to do with as they please, and if they wish to die, they should be allowed to die. I'm not very optimistic about the prospects of assisted suicide being legally allowed, though. Just think of all the possibilities of abuse, it would be like legalising murder!

TRChik
01-12-04, 14:15
yes a person has free will and can put their own life to death. but if it is assisted, and the doctor or whoever doesnt want to do it then thats fine too. the doc has free will as well.

its not right either way, but we all were given free will. its just too bad the person had to solve their problems with killing themselves. if they go through some therapy theyd eventually be good as new.

i dont think, personally, that suicide is ever a solution to a problem. there are soo many ways to end ones suffering - like getting help. even if you cant recognize that you need it, im sure loved ones and friends can recognize that you need some attention and get the help you need.

Nicky
01-12-04, 14:26
Willing suicide is one thing and assisted suicide is another. Every person has the right to decide upon his/her own life, but when it comes to deciding upon someone else's life, the situation becomes more complicated and far more delicate. The thing is, when someone is in pain and this has altered his/her brain and way of thinking, we can never be sure that if he/she suggests or agrees to an assisted suicide, he/she will be doing it consciously.

But still...

Originally posted by Rose Naberrie:
See a person that you love dying slowly is not a good thing. If that person is in pain, it's even worst. I think it's better for eveone (the person and the family/friends) to finish with the suffering. :( ...I agree with you :(

Anubis_AF
01-12-04, 20:10
No.
I don't believe any human being should take anyone's life, including individual taking his/her own.

bumb1ebee
01-12-04, 21:07
Originally posted by Catlantean:
I think that a person's life is their own to do with as they please, and if they wish to die, they should be allowed to die. I'm not very optimistic about the prospects of assisted suicide being legally allowed, though. Just think of all the possibilities of abuse, it would be like legalising murder!Have you heard of the death penalty and abortion? Sounds legal to me.

Lemmie
03-12-04, 21:36
I remain neutral on this one. If people want to die, that's their decision. I just hope I never have to make a choice about this kind of thing.

nikos
04-12-04, 15:15
well its a extremely difficult object to say a yes or a no!
i think there are 2 different categories of people who choose the suicide solution.
1]the really sick people 'hopeless for cure and feeling such a pain and frustration so they prefere to choose to suicide!in that case nobody can blame these people, is that we say here in greece a ""necessary bad action" or as you said "the dead end"!
2]people who feel a shame for something or facing a great sentimental dissapointment,or a financial disaster etc...
in that case suicide is mostly a stupidity!
is just a stupid action coming by a psychological frustration of the moment, and this is also a society fault,because society use to struggle people telling always what is rong and what is right, this a "shame" or this is not!and ofcource we just "blame" the others but noone gives solutions!words are always easy!
but in any case suicide is mostly unstopable,because the people who want to suicide never ask anyone before their action, so everything is just words.... :(